inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lotteries - Ever play? What was the most won at one time? Ever win a jack pot?

Written By: DoRitos on 07/13/10 at 9:05 pm

My state has a game alled Cash 5.  Several years ago I hit the first four numbers and was off by one on the last nymber.  I was paid about $480.00.  THe winning ticket of which there was only one of took home $109,000,00.  At least I didn't have to pay any tax onthe winnings. 

Subject: Re: Lotteries - Ever play? What was the most won at one time? Ever win a jack pot?

Written By: Dagwood on 07/13/10 at 10:34 pm

The best I did was $12 on a $2 scratch ticket.

Subject: Re: Lotteries - Ever play? What was the most won at one time? Ever win a jack pot?

Written By: gibbo on 07/13/10 at 11:42 pm

Only ever won $70 on a $5 scratchit ticket...

Written By: widget on 07/13/10 at 11:44 pm

I play whenever  I can afford it.... (oh this is snoz posting as widget)  ;)

the best I've done is $173

tho on Friday my mom (widget) won $200 on a scratcher.... I got $80! Yay widget!!!!

One time I bought lotto (this was one of the first times the ca lotto had a really large jackpot. At that time 3-5 million was a large jackpot not the base... anyway I bought 4 tickets because I only had 4 dollars. At one point
i  looked at the thing and said I should use this number, those two numbers and these two numbers... and one from another row..... I didn't have the cash to buy another ticket tho.... Anyway- 6 numbers was the jackpot. I would've had 5 numbers at about 990,000

I was pissed....  >:(

Written By: gibbo on 07/14/10 at 12:39 am

tho on Friday my mom (widget) won $200 on a scratcher.... I got $80! Yay widget!!!!

One time I bought lotto (this was one of the first times the ca lotto had a really large jackpot. At that time 3-5 million was a large jackpot not the base... anyway I bought 4 tickets because I only had 4 dollars. At one point
i  looked at the thing and said I should use this number, those two numbers and these two numbers... and one from another row..... I didn't have the cash to buy another ticket tho.... Anyway- 6 numbers was the jackpot. I would've had 5 numbers at about 990,000

Why are you posting as widget?  :-\\

Written By: widget on 07/14/10 at 3:11 am

Why are you posting as widget?  :-\\

too lazy to log out of my mom's computer and too lazy to boot up mine...  :P

Written By: DoRitos on 07/14/10 at 4:09 am

The day of Ronald Reagan's first election I had a hunch to play pick 3 using 666.  I was living in Maryland and I usually bought lottery tickets at the liquor stores.  In the state where I grew up liquor stores were closed on election days as well as all watering holes.  I figured that the liquor stores were also closed in Maryland on election days.  I had intentions of putting at least $10.00 on that number.  I convinced myself that there was no lottery that day.  So I didn't play.  The next day at work I picked up the newspaper and sure enough 666 hit.  I kicked that paper across the room.  I know the feeling Snoz.  A $10.00 bet would have fetched a cool $5K and tax free at that because it would have been 10 seperate wins of $500.00 each.  $5K was worth a lot more back then. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/14/10 at 5:05 am

I once hit for 5K.  I had just given notice at my job because the new boss was a model for Michael Scott, didn't know what I was going to do, but was sick to death of him.  Played the total of my grocery bill on a whim. BLAM!

Written By: Howard on 07/14/10 at 6:46 am

The most I've won was a scratch off lottery ticket,$20 and that's all.

Written By: DoRitos on 07/14/10 at 7:27 am

The most I've won was a scratch off lottery ticket,$20 and that's all.

I hit $300.00 on a scratch off a few days before Christmas a few years ago.  That one really came in handy and right on time.  There is a $2,00 scratch off called break the bank that has been around longer than any scratch off.  Jackpot is $30K.  I have hit $200.00 pay offs about twenty times.  One time I hit $200.00 two days in a row.  I way overdue for anouther $200.00 pay out.  I haven't been playing much of the scratch offs of late.  I think they have scaled back their pay offs due to the bad economy.  One thing I do know about pay offs is in this state December is the best month to purchase scratch offs.  They take all the unclaimed and expired pay out money and put it into the tickets that are put out in December. 

Written By: karen on 07/14/10 at 10:06 am

I belonged to two syndicates a few years ago.  Both of them had one decent win (matching 5 out of 6 numbers) but it gets split between about 12-15 people so its not that much each.  I think I won about £200 each time.  We regularly matched 3 numbers (fixed £10 payout) but just saved that up and had a free week/month from time to time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/10 at 11:23 am

Carlos picked me up some scratch tickets awhile ago and I had forgot there were there. About 2 days ago I saw them and started scratching. It was a $5 ticket with a Red Sox theme to it.  :D ;D ;D  I won $20. YAY!!!! I still have a few $1 tickets to scratch.

The most I won on one scratch ticket was $100-and I think I have only done that about 2 or 3 times. I don't play as much as I used to. Many, many, MANY moons ago, I was visiting my sister in Conn. and the first time I played the Conn. Lottery pick 3 numbers and I won. I can't remember how much $150? $200? Something like that.

My mother has this little thing that has the numbers of Lotto with 6 tiny balls in it. You shake it and the balls fall into the numbers and will pick your numbers for you. My niece was playing with it and my sister looked and said, "Those are good numbers." She then pulled out her Lotto card (from Conn.) and said, "These are the numbers I play." My mother pulled out her Lotto card (from NY) and said, "These are the numbers I play." I pulled out my Lotto card (from VT) and said, "These are the numbers I play." My mother looked at all of us and said, "We are not a family of gamblers are we?".  (BTW, I don't play the Lotto anymore.)

My state has a game alled Cash 5.  Several years ago I hit the first four numbers and was off by one on the last nymber.  I was paid about $480.00.  THe winning ticket of which there was only one of took home $109,000,00.  At least I didn't have to pay any tax onthe winnings. 

When I lived there, they didn't have a lottery. I remember seeing bumper stickers saying, "Legalize Bingo. Keep Grandma Off The Streets." I also remember they opened a race track BEFORE gambling was approved.  ::)  I never understood that. Oh sure, you are just going to watch the horses run around and NOT bet? Yeah right. I'm sure there were bookies roaming the track willing to take your $$$$.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/14/10 at 6:25 pm

Carlos picked me up some scratch tickets awhile ago and I had forgot there were there. About 2 days ago I saw them and started scratching. It was a $5 ticket with a Red Sox theme to it.  :D ;D ;D  I won $20. YAY!!!! I still have a few $1 tickets to scratch.

The most I won on one scratch ticket was $100-and I think I have only done that about 2 or 3 times. I don't play as much as I used to. Many, many, MANY moons ago, I was visiting my sister in Conn. and the first time I played the Conn. Lottery pick 3 numbers and I won. I can't remember how much $150? $200? Something like that.

My mother has this little thing that has the numbers of Lotto with 6 tiny balls in it. You shake it and the balls fall into the numbers and will pick your numbers for you. My niece was playing with it and my sister looked and said, "Those are good numbers." She then pulled out her Lotto card (from Conn.) and said, "These are the numbers I play." My mother pulled out her Lotto card (from NY) and said, "These are the numbers I play." I pulled out my Lotto card (from VT) and said, "These are the numbers I play." My mother looked at all of us and said, "We are not a family of gamblers are we?".  (BTW, I don't play the Lotto anymore.)

When I lived there, they didn't have a lottery. I remember seeing bumper stickers saying, "Legalize Bingo. Keep Grandma Off The Streets." I also remember they opened a race track BEFORE gambling was approved.  ::)  I never understood that. Oh sure, you are just going to watch the horses run around and NOT bet? Yeah right. I'm sure there were bookies roaming the track willing to take your $$$$.

Cat

An Air Force buddy and I went to that track once.  We didn't do so well.  This has more to do with track betting than lotteries. 

The first of many TDYs to Davis Monthan Air Force Base when I was still wearing the blue was quite memorable.  There was aboutfour of us that went from Kelly.  Captain Jim was along - former enlisted and a very decent human being.  Jim suggested that we go to the dog track.  I had never been to the track in my life.  I told Jim if he showed me how it works I'd go along.  Well I hit on straight tickets two trifectas one exacta and two win place show.  Total winnings was almost $1200.00.  No single win was over $600.00 so the whole enchillada was tax free.  Everyone was studying the progams sheets on the dogs and betting but never winning.  I started using numbers from my social security number on trifectas and this fetched me two wins. 

The next night we went to a mesquite steak house.  We had so much food.  I think every appetizer on the menu was ordered.  We did a total pig out.  The check came to somewhere around $250.00.  It was all on me.  I still had around $900.00 left. 

On another TDY I went to Eglin AFB Florida with the guy that went to the horse track in SA with me.  We went to Pensacola to the dog track.  Lloyd was studying the dogs and trying to pick the winners.  It was somewhere around the 5TH race when first, second and third place came in just two numbers lower than the numbers I used in Arizona.  Say for instance that the dogs finished 471.  I hit on say 473 in Arizona.  I had this hunch in my gut that said my numbers were about to hit on the next race so I told Lloyd to play straight and boxed 473.  I went up and made my bets.  I played one straight and one boxed.  Lloyd went up just before the race started.  Sure enough the dogs finished 473.  I said come on Lloyd lets get our winnings.  He had the most dejected look on his face.  I told him that he needs to listen to me sometimes. 

He never listened to me when I told him stuff.  I had this Oldsmobile in the 80's and the check engine light would come on for no other reason but to tell me it was going to rain.  It was summer and I asked Lloyd if he had the windows down in his car.  He did.  I told him my car told me it was going to rain.  He has seen my car do this before but he just ignored me.  We had no windows and were way up on the 3rd floor so we never knew what the weather was doing.  I went down to the first floor and sure enough it was coming down like it was raining on Noah himself.  He had that same long face when I told him how hard it was raining.  Toooooo late!

Written By: Howard on 07/14/10 at 6:43 pm

I hit $300.00 on a scratch off a few days before Christmas a few years ago.  That one really came in handy and right on time.  There is a $2,00 scratch off called break the bank that has been around longer than any scratch off.  Jackpot is $30K.  I have hit $200.00 pay offs about twenty times.  One time I hit $200.00 two days in a row.   I way overdue for anouther $200.00 pay out.  I haven't been playing much of the scratch offs of late.  I think they have scaled back their pay offs due to the bad economy.  One thing I do know about pay offs is in this state December is the best month to purchase scratch offs.  They take all the unclaimed and expired pay out money and put it into the tickets that are put out in December. 

Then what do you do with the winnings?

Written By: DoRitos on 07/14/10 at 7:11 pm

Then what do you do with the winnings?

Hey now, do I ask you what you do with your money?  Or do you work for the IRS?

Written By: Howard on 07/15/10 at 6:57 am

Hey now, do I ask you what you do with your money?  Or do you work for the IRS?

just wonderin' just askin'  :D

Written By: DoRitos on 07/15/10 at 8:05 am

just wonderin' just askin'  :D

Just kiddin'.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/10 at 12:03 pm

too lazy to log out of my mom's computer and too lazy to boot up mine...   :P

I'm me again  :D

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/10 at 12:05 pm

I hit $300.00 on a scratch off a few days before Christmas a few years ago.  That one really came in handy and right on time.  There is a $2,00 scratch off called break the bank that has been around longer than any scratch off.  Jackpot is $30K.  I have hit $200.00 pay offs about twenty times.  One time I hit $200.00 two days in a row.   I way overdue for anouther $200.00 pay out.  I haven't been playing much of the scratch offs of late.  I think they have scaled back their pay offs due to the bad economy.  One thing I do know about pay offs is in this state December is the best month to purchase scratch offs.  They take all the unclaimed and expired pay out money and put it into the tickets that are put out in December. 

seriously? That's good to know...

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/10 at 12:06 pm

I belonged to two syndicates a few years ago. 

I always knew karen was in the mob!!!  ;) ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/10 at 12:18 pm

Here, you can send in all your non-winning tickets for a "second chance." You write your name, address, phone number on the back. They put all the spend tickets in a hopper and pull out a ticket. I'm not too sure how much the person wins-I think it might be the non-claimed $$$$ from games. (Here, you have a year after the game ends to claim your prize.) I have done it in the past but I really don't because it is such a hassle.

Another thing Vermont does (and maybe everyone who plays scratch tickets should see if their state also does this), on their website (and sometimes it is printed and posted where you can buy tickets), they have a list of ALL the games, what % of tickets are still out and how many of the big winners are still out.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 07/15/10 at 12:47 pm

Here, you can send in all your non-winning tickets for a "second chance." You write your name, address, phone number on the back. They put all the spend tickets in a hopper and pull out a ticket. I'm not too sure how much the person wins-I think it might be the non-claimed $$$$ from games. (Here, you have a year after the game ends to claim your prize.) I have done it in the past but I really don't because it is such a hassle.

Another thing Vermont does (and maybe everyone who plays scratch tickets should see if their state also does this), on their website (and sometimes it is printed and posted where you can buy tickets), they have a list of ALL the games, what % of tickets are still out and how many of the big winners are still out.

Cat

We have all of what you describe in the Texas lottery.  txlottery.org has a running tab on all of the scratch games and there is a second chance drawing on one scratch ticket.  You can win between $1,000 - $1,000,000.  You have to send in five losing tickets for one chance. 

Written By: Howard on 07/15/10 at 6:54 pm

I'm me again  :D

So you were widget? ???

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/10 at 11:52 pm

So you were widget? ???

for a day or two cuz I didn't want to log her out of her computer...

Written By: Howard on 07/16/10 at 7:35 am

for a day or two cuz I didn't want to log her out of her computer...

So you had an alter ego?

Written By: karen on 07/16/10 at 7:36 am

So you had an alter ego?

widget is snoz's mum's user name

Written By: DoRitos on 07/16/10 at 8:40 am

You're a nice guy Howard and it is good to see that you have friends out here to help you out.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/10 at 2:34 pm

You're a nice guy Howard and it is good to see that you have friends out here to help you out.   ;)

Thank You.

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/10 at 8:15 pm

thx karen....  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...