inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Social Networking: The good, the bad, the awkward...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/10 at 11:31 pm

Sorry if this has been done before.  I have a hard time finding old threads on here...

Alot of us are on Facebook, Myspace, etc... it's amazing who turns up on there, and it's funny how you can find yourself in awkward situations when various parts of your life collide into one mish-mash of people.

So, tell us your stories of who you've found (or has found you) that you thought you'd never hear from again.

Or about the person who sent you a friend request that you really had no desire to hear from again.

Or the one who has 200534255624 mutual friends but you can't figure out who they are.

Or that status update you posted that resulted in two of your friends (who likely don't even know each other) getting into an argument over opinions on your status.

Or that item someone posted on your wall that you're not too crazy about the idea of your mom/grandmother reading.

Would love to hear your stories! :)

Subject: Re: Social Networking: The good, the bad, the awkward...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/09/10 at 11:39 pm

Here's a little recent anecdote of mine:

AT&T (my former internet provider) really pissed me off.  After spending half a day on the phone with them, I couldn't get my problem resolved... So I went on Facebook and posted some "Damn you, AT&T"... after posting and having a few comments posted by friends, I realized I probably shouldn't have posted that, as I'm pretty sure Mike (Badfinger-Fan) works at AT&T...  so I went to his info page to check.  It didn't list his employer, but it did show that he has a Comcast email address. (Comcast is AT&T's biggest competitor).  So I figured if he does work at AT&T but has Comcast internet, I must not be too far off base :)

Written By: snozberries on 08/10/10 at 1:49 am

Here's a little recent anecdote of mine:

AT&T (my former internet provider) really pissed me off.  After spending half a day on the phone with them, I couldn't get my problem resolved... So I went on Facebook and posted some "Damn you, AT&T"... after posting and having a few comments posted by friends, I realized I probably shouldn't have posted that, as I'm pretty sure Mike (Badfinger-Fan) works at AT&T...  so I went to his info page to check.  It didn't list his employer, but it did show that he has a Comcast email address. (Comcast is AT&T's biggest competitor).  So I figured if he does work at AT&T but has Comcast internet, I must not be too far off base :)

Ha Ha... I doubt BFF cares what you think about AT&T tho I'm pretty sure he is employed by them...

I got into it with one of Dags friends. There was a post about Jesus Christ Superstar being authentic...and I....being one of the most anti religious people I know...and pretty vocal about it... posted  "How does one authenticate the historical accuracy of JCS?"  Ooh boy... did I step in it... I had to excuse myself from the conversation that ensued because I was going to say something way out of line and I didn't know the person I was arguing with.... I figured it wasn't worth it and in the end I do believe people are entitled to their opinions....which meant I won b/c I was willing to let her have her opinion while she was vehemently opposed to me having mine  ;)

That being said - it is awkward because my online friends don't necessarily mesh with my work friends and definittly dont jive with my mother who is my FB friend...
I have a foul, foul mouth but have never cursed in front of my mom... well I said sheesh once after dropping my Discman CD player but she was in the car and I was outside of the car so I'm not sure she heard me... if she did we have both decided that she didn't hear me.  ;D  before my mom was my FB friend I used to post more liberal updates but now I edit myself.... and I cringe when someone comes and writes 'fudge" on my wall...cuz what if my mom sees it?  Yes I'm 42  :D

I also complain about work more than I should.... usually when I get pissed at one of the officers I make a comment. This leads to 27 ppl who don't work in law enforcement offering to come down and kick the ass of the cop who pissed me off.... yeah that goes real well with the cops who are my FB friends.

Written By: snozberries on 08/10/10 at 1:53 am

I have a fb friend who's opinion is completely opposite (on almost all points) than what I thought it was. Sometimes this persons posts anger me... sometimes I'm just really sad about what I'm reading because I thought they were cooler than that. There is one thing this person enjoys talking about that is something I take great pleasure in discussing. Because of that I have not deleted this person as a friend. I have wanted to, so very often I wanted to delete them, but- this other thing we talk about gives me so much pleasure and this person is the only one I know who will engage in the dialogue with me.  I don't want to give up something I enjoy discussing because I dislike EVERYTHING  ELSE this person is about....

guess that makes me a hypocrite but what can I say... I'm complex like that.  :P

Written By: karen on 08/10/10 at 4:19 am

I found a friend I'd lost contact with when we both commented on someone's post.  I had no idea she knew him and vice versa!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/10 at 1:06 pm

That being said - it is awkward because my online friends don't necessarily mesh with my work friends and definittly dont jive with my mother who is my FB friend...

Yeah, same here.  There is something strange about it all.  :)  (Although my mother isn't on Facebook)

Another thing that happened the other day (I know you saw this, Q)

I had been browsing online at homes around the country, marveling at how you can get a huge house with an acre of land for 1/3 of the cost of a small house here in California.  Happened to post something about having a passing urge to move to another state.  About 1 minute later, I start seeing updates from friends that Prop 8 (The California gay marriage ban) was overturned.

I was like, "Great - I'm sure my gay friends will love that."  :-
I have a fb friend who's opinion is completely opposite (on almost all points) than what I thought it was. Sometimes this persons posts anger me... sometimes I'm just really sad about what I'm reading because I thought they were cooler than that.

My cousin likes to post random song lyrics in her status updates (as do I, as I'm listening to music or if something is stuck in my head) but she uses quotes instead of music notes.  She has one friend who always posts literal responses to her lyrics.  Like, if she posts "I love a rainy night, it's such a beautiful sight", he will post "You should move here to Arizona, it rains alot here!" (just a hypothetical example) and it really gets on her nerves.  She isn't sure if he is trying to be funny or if he just doesn't know much music, so she doesn't know what to say. lol

I found a friend I'd lost contact with when we both commented on someone's post.  I had no idea she knew him and vice versa!

That's happened to me too.  There is actually one girl who I very vaguely remember from junior high school, I didn't really know her but she has popped up on the friend lists of 3 of my friends, none of whom I knew from school, and none of whom know each other.  Weird.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/10/10 at 9:48 pm

I got into it with one of Dags friends. There was a post about Jesus Christ Superstar being authentic...and I....being one of the most anti religious people I know...and pretty vocal about it... posted  "How does one authenticate the historical accuracy of JCS?"  Ooh boy... did I step in it... I had to excuse myself from the conversation that ensued because I was going to say something way out of line and I didn't know the person I was arguing with.... I figured it wasn't worth it and in the end I do believe people are entitled to their opinions....which meant I won b/c I was willing to let her have her opinion while she was vehemently opposed to me having mine  ;)

I sort of even remember that.  I just remember you excusing yourself...I don't remember the discussion, though.  My brain cells are dying faster than I originally thought. ;D

I have a fb friend who's opinion is completely opposite (on almost all points) than what I thought it was. Sometimes this persons posts anger me... sometimes I'm just really sad about what I'm reading because I thought they were cooler than that. There is one thing this person enjoys talking about that is something I take great pleasure in discussing. Because of that I have not deleted this person as a friend. I have wanted to, so very often I wanted to delete them, but- this other thing we talk about gives me so much pleasure and this person is the only one I know who will engage in the dialogue with me.  I don't want to give up something I enjoy discussing because I dislike EVERYTHING  ELSE this person is about....

guess that makes me a hypocrite but what can I say... I'm complex like that.  :P

:(  That sucks

My cousin likes to post random song lyrics in her status updates (as do I, as I'm listening to music or if something is stuck in my head) but she uses quotes instead of music notes.  She has one friend who always posts literal responses to her lyrics.  Like, if she posts "I love a rainy night, it's such a beautiful sight", he will post "You should move here to Arizona, it rains alot here!" (just a hypothetical example) and it really gets on her nerves.  She isn't sure if he is trying to be funny or if he just doesn't know much music, so she doesn't know what to say. lol

How do you do the music notes?  I have seen them but never figured it out.

I did look up my ex husband on myspace just to see if he was there.  He was and all I could say was what in the hell was I thinking.  His status said something to the effect of he was looking for a lady who was real and didn't play games.  This coming from a guy who married me just to make his ex jealous so he could get her back.  I was wondering if that would be Karma or irony? ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/10 at 9:57 pm

If you never sign up, you can never get Zucked.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/10 at 11:48 pm

On my computer, I can hold down alt and hit 1 then 3 or 1 then 4 on my keypad (while my cursor is in the status update box).  That doesn't seem to work on all computers though.  Tam knows another way but it was complicated and I don't remember.

I did look up my ex husband on myspace just to see if he was there.  He was and all I could say was what in the hell was I thinking.  His status said something to the effect of he was looking for a lady who was real and didn't play games.  This coming from a guy who married me just to make his ex jealous so he could get her back.  I was wondering if that would be Karma or irony? ;D

I've done that too, looked up ex boyfriends who I would never even want to talk to, just to be nosy.  Yikes, though!  Maybe his thought is that only a real woman who doesn't play games will fall for *his* games.  Would you accept if he sent you a friend request?

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:21 am

Yeah, same here.   There is something strange about it all.  :)  (Although my mother isn't on Facebook)

Another thing that happened the other day (I know you saw this, Q)

I had been browsing online at homes around the country, marveling at how you can get a huge house with an acre of land for 1/3 of the cost of a small house here in California.  Happened to post something about having a passing urge to move to another state.   About 1 minute later, I start seeing updates from friends that Prop 8 (The California gay marriage ban) was overturned.

I was like, "Great - I'm sure my gay friends will love that."  :-[

For the record- I never took it like that; I think because I love watching home buying shows (have you found the thread I started?) I instantly knew when I read your post that it had something to do with the expense of living in Cali....

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:24 am

I'm forever posting rap lyrics in my status update.... no ever picked up on the Drake song I posted lines for three days straight and I just kept getting  so-so likes this... or  at one point I posted  "Bout to set it off in this bitch Jada Pinkett" and Deb was like- I love that movie  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:26 am

if you find the music notes in you computer--- it's there with the symbol of hearts, diamoonds and other stuff in Word (I forget the shortcut) anyway you can copy it from word and paste it in the status bar then type your lyric.

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:27 am

On my computer, I can hold down alt and hit 1 then 3 or 1 then 4 on my keypad (while my cursor is in the status update box).  That doesn't seem to work on all computers though.  Tam knows another way but it was complicated and I don't remember.

^^ Tam's way  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/11/10 at 12:31 am

I'm forever posting rap lyrics in my status update.... no ever picked up on the Drake song I posted lines for three days straight and I just kept getting  so-so likes this... or  at one point I posted  "Bout to set it off in this bitch Jada Pinkett" and Deb was like- I love that movie  ;D

haha I wouldn't know any rap music either.  One song I knew and liked in the 80's was "Goin Back To Cali", I still don't know who the artist was - I tried to download it, ended up downloading the one by Notorious BIG (not realizing there was more than one)  :(

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:35 am

haha I wouldn't know any rap music either.  One song I knew and liked in the 80's was "Goin Back To Cali", I still don't know who the artist was - I tried to download it, ended up downloading the one by Notorious BIG (not realizing there was more than one)  :(

I don't think so!  :P  ;) 

(its from the song---) I'm goin' back to cali, cali, cali.... I'm going back to Cali hmmmm I don't think so.

the original was done by LL Cool J. and I sing every time I drive from AZ back to SB.....  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/11/10 at 12:41 am

I don't think so!  :P   ;)  

(its from the song---) I'm goin' back to cali, cali, cali.... I'm going back to Cali hmmmm I don't think so.

the original was done by LL Cool J. and I sing every time I drive from AZ back to SB.....  :)

YES That's the one I wanted, the Notorious BIG one was a completely different song.  Hate it when that happens!  ;D

Oh, and I wish like hell that Facebook would let you edit your comments... Can't even count how many times I posted a comment, realized it didn't come out right and wished I could reword it.  Argh!  That just happened to me right now.

For the record- I never took it like that; I think because I love watching home buying shows (have you found the thread I started?) I instantly knew when I read your post that it had something to do with the expense of living in Cali....

Yeah, it's just that most of my friends know I'm conservative so a post like that would imply that I was mad about the Prop 8 thing... which I wasn't, I'm actually not so conservative on social issues, more on national/fiscal issues.

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 12:42 am

YES That's the one I wanted, the Notorious BIG one was a completely different song.  Hate it when that happens!  ;D

Oh, and I wish like hell that Facebook would let you edit your comments... Can't even count how many times I posted a comment, realized it didn't come out right and wished I could reword it.  Argh!  That just happened to me right now.

I try to delete my comment and reword it before anyone sees it...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/11/10 at 12:45 am

I try to delete my comment and reword it before anyone sees it...

Yeah, I end up doing that sometimes too, but the email alerts still go out as soon as you post the original comment, so they still end up seeing it in their email  :-\\  More often I add a 2nd comment saying "Oops, I mean...." lol

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 1:32 pm

Friggin Facebook.  I can't tell you how many times I've thought about just deleting my whole profile, but then I think that I'd lose all of my "friends" and most of them I actually do care about.  I've found so many childhood friends on there - people I've been truly delighted to reconnect with.  And old boyfriends.  I found my first love, and it was such a fabulous reunion.  But then I found another high school boyfriend, and he and I tried to chat back and forth one night and it was just awkward and horrible.  Ugh.  I still cringe when I think about it.  

I do have to say this though - Odyssey - I had never really gotten to know you on here, but then I started seeing your posts on Facebook, and they ALWAYS made me smile or laugh, and I totally like you as a result of those, so if it hadn't been for friending you on there, I probably never would have gotten to know you.   :)  So that's pretty awesome.

Snoz, I am just laughing so hard at your stories, because I can totally relate.  And I'm so tempted to go to your page right now and say something like "Oh fudge, I'm gonna come and beat up a cop!"  And then maybe bust out with some rap lyrics.   ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/11/10 at 1:42 pm

I do have to say this though - Odyssey - I had never really gotten to know you on here, but then I started seeing your posts on Facebook, and they ALWAYS made me smile or laugh, and I totally like you as a result of those, so if it hadn't been for friending you on there, I probably never would have gotten to know you.   :)  So that's pretty awesome.

Classic.  ;D

Yeah Facebook can cause alot of awkward moments, confusion, and "WHAT did I just say?!?" moments but all in all, I love it. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 2:19 pm

Classic.  ;D

Yeah Facebook can cause alot of awkward moments, confusion, and "WHAT did I just say?!?" moments but all in all, I love it. :)

Um...

:-[

;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/11/10 at 9:54 pm

Would you accept if he sent you a friend request?

After I picked myself up off the floor from laughing so hard....HELL NO! ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/11/10 at 9:57 pm

if you find the music notes in you computer--- it's there with the symbol of hearts, diamoonds and other stuff in Word (I forget the shortcut) anyway you can copy it from word and paste it in the status bar then type your lyric.

I'll have to try that...Odysseys way didn't work for me. :(

For the record, I don't know rap either so I wouldn't have gotten your lyrics. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 11:13 pm

Yeah, I end up doing that sometimes too, but the email alerts still go out as soon as you post the original comment, so they still end up seeing it in their email  :-\\   More often I add a 2nd comment saying "Oops, I mean...." lol

ah... I don't have my account set up for email notification so I'd never see the original post... FYI in case you ever need to change one on my wall  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/10 at 11:14 pm

Snoz, I am just laughing so hard at your stories, because I can totally relate.  And I'm so tempted to go to your page right now and say something like "Oh fudge, I'm gonna come and beat up a cop!"  And then maybe bust out with some rap lyrics.   ;D

Okay... I dare ya!!! Do it!  :P

Written By: ADH13 on 08/12/10 at 12:33 am

So when you guys notice that your friend count has gone down by one, do you sit there and stare at your friend list trying to figure out who's missing?  ;D

I had one of the Dallas Cowboys on my friend list, I sent him a request a long time ago because I was a fan, and he accepted.  Then recently I noticed my count had gone down overnight, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out who was missing, because I was only thinking about people I actually knew.  It turned out that he had dumped me (and 800 or so other people), leaving him with about 50 friends.  I guess he got rid of people he didn't know.   

It was only after watching the preseason game this last Sunday that I thought to look for him on my list, and sure enough he was gone.... after I spent a good hour trying to figure it out. :-[

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/10 at 9:57 am

So when you guys notice that your friend count has gone down by one, do you sit there and stare at your friend list trying to figure out who's missing?  ;D

I had one of the Dallas Cowboys on my friend list, I sent him a request a long time ago because I was a fan, and he accepted.   Then recently I noticed my count had gone down overnight, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out who was missing, because I was only thinking about people I actually knew.  It turned out that he had dumped me (and 800 or so other people), leaving him with about 50 friends.  I guess he got rid of people he didn't know.   

It was only after watching the preseason game this last Sunday that I thought to look for him on my list, and sure enough he was gone.... after I spent a good hour trying to figure it out. :-[

I obsess a little about my friend count but not that much  ;D

Written By: Gis on 08/12/10 at 12:19 pm

I had one of the Dallas Cowboys on my friend list, I sent him a request a long time ago because I was a fan, and he accepted.   Then recently I noticed my count had gone down overnight, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out who was missing, because I was only thinking about people I actually knew.  It turned out that he had dumped me (and 800 or so other people), leaving him with about 50 friends.  I guess he got rid of people he didn't know.   

Yeah I've done that too.  ;D

I did get invited to a kind of partial class reunion via a girl who I am friends with on Facebook, but never really was at school if I'm honest. The class mates in question were a real bitchy clique. My verbal responce was 'I would rather scoop out my own kidneys out of my arse with a spoon than spend time with these people' but my facebook reply was 'I'm on holiday that week' ! ;D

I also am friends with a couple of girls who used to drink/watch bands in the same pub as me about 20 years ago. They weren't part of my social circle then but there is a page for the pub on Facebook that I joined. We were all at a show the other night and as there were only about 60 people there we could hardly miss each other, it was all horrible awkward. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/10 at 12:27 pm

Last year I reconnected with some of my old classmates. I'd say only two of them were friends when we were in high school. The other 4 I barely talked to when we were in school but we had the best time hanging out and now we are always talking on FB or on the phone...

and from the 'talk about timing' dept. 

I have a friend I went to school with in 5th and 6th grade. She was my best friend when I was 11 and 12  I haven't seen her since we were 14. I moved and saw her once when we I went on vacation to see family friends.  We exchanged letters all thru hs but things just got different we were on different paths...

anyway a few years ago I found her thru classmates dot com and we exchanged emails then drifted apart again...

two days ago I decided to see if she's on facebook....she is and she accepted my friend request.  She lives in vegas so I thought maybe I'll meet her when I go to vegas next month.....turns out she is coming to santa barbara next week.... that's weird right?

I have no idea if I have anything to talk to her about but it'd still be nice to see her... 

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/10 at 3:07 pm

look who came back to visit

AnnieBanannie
(MSIE) 13:02:58 Viewing the topic Social Networking: The good, the bad, the awkward....

Written By: ADH13 on 08/13/10 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, some of the people who were my best friends when we were kids, I hardly talk to on FB.  And people I didn't know very well, I talk to the most.  Weird how that happens.

One of my childhood friends, she had alot of family problems as a child, I was one of the few who knew about them.  She actually spent more time at my house than at her own house.  I found her on FB about a year ago, added her, and after the initial "Hey, how have you been" conversation, we never talk.  I think she may feel uncomfortable.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/15/10 at 1:19 am

I worry that someone will post a horrible picture of me and tag me one of these days too... has that happened to any of you guys?

Written By: Dagwood on 08/15/10 at 3:35 pm

I worry that someone will post a horrible picture of me and tag me one of these days too... has that happened to any of you guys?

Oh yeah.  Someone tagged me in a pic at my high school reunion.  I looked completely stoned. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/10 at 3:41 pm

Oh yeah.  Someone tagged me in a pic at my high school reunion.  I looked completely stoned. ;D

Are you sure you weren't?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 08/15/10 at 7:56 pm

Are you sure you weren't?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You never know....I did sit with all my stoner buddies from high school. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/10 at 8:08 pm

yeah  a couple of times....see I have really bad hair...and I live in a predominately white area so there's no one to do my hair- not without me driving 40 minutes to an hour away- I have always hated getting my hair done anyway so my driving long distances was never gonna happen....anyway- I have tons of pics of me tagged with really horrible hair....  :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/18/10 at 1:10 pm

yeah  a couple of times....see I have really bad hair...and I live in a predominately white area so there's no one to do my hair- not without me driving 40 minutes to an hour away- I have always hated getting my hair done anyway so my driving long distances was never gonna happen....anyway- I have tons of pics of me tagged with really horrible hair....  :-\\

Your hair is not horrible!  What are you talking about?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/18/10 at 1:16 pm

I have an awkward situation.

An aquaintance of mine sent me an invitation to a Girls Lunch via Facebook on Saturday and in the wording she said "I want to get together with my best girlfriends."  Well I have only met her a couple of times, and while she and I do click, I honestly don't know her all that well at all.  She was the fiance of my friend that passed away in June, and I did send her a really heartfelt message...but really, I just don't know.  I don't know if she invited me hoping to strike up a real friendship with me, or if she accidentally invited me, meaning to click on someone else but clicking on my profile instead.  You know?  I thought about sending her a message saying "did you mean to invite me?"  But then I thought that if she actually did mean to invite me it would be pretty awkward.  But if she didn't mean to invite me, how embarassing would it be for me to show up to a lunch for her and her "best friends?"  What on earth should I do? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/10 at 1:28 pm

An aquaintance of mine sent me an invitation to a Girls Lunch via Facebook on Saturday and in the wording she said "I want to get together with my best girlfriends."  Well I have only met her a couple of times, and while she and I do click, I honestly don't know her all that well at all.  She was the fiance of my friend that passed away in June, and I did send her a really heartfelt message...but really, I just don't know.  I don't know if she invited me hoping to strike up a real friendship with me, or if she accidentally invited me, meaning to click on someone else but clicking on my profile instead.  You know?  I thought about sending her a message saying "did you mean to invite me?"  But then I thought that if she actually did mean to invite me it would be pretty awkward.  But if she didn't mean to invite me, how embarassing would it be for me to show up to a lunch for her and her "best friends?"  What on earth should I do? 

Why don't you respond and say something like, "Thanks for the invite but I really can't make it on that day because of whatever." You can make up the whatever or you don't even have to say "...because of..." just say you can't make it. That way if she didn't mean to invite you, she is off the hook and if she did, she can respond back and say, "Oh, maybe another day, then."

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:11 pm

Your hair is not horrible!  What are you talking about?

ugh... well the dreds were still in pretty good shape but the undergrowth kills me... but, actually I was thinking primarily of my pre dred pics most of those suck.... my dreds aren't holding tho so pretty soon I'm going to be bald... :\'(  that'll be fun... I'm trying to hold on to them thru Sept.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:21 pm

Did she send it as an Event Invite? click the maybe attending box and make a comment like I'm flattered you thought to invite me to a lunch of your BGFs--- then explain that you're not sure yet if you can work it into your schedule... this then puts the ball in her court.
Without you actually having to have the conversation.... you're not saying why did you invite and you're not saying you don't want to be BGF's you're just saying thanks for thinking of me that way... if she didn't mean to invite you too bad for her.

Honestly tho Ash -  she probably did want to invite you because you're awesome... she may think of BGFs differently than you do... to you its someone so close your almost like sisters or something but to her its just people she likes a lot more than she likes other people.

I also suspect she's an only child... I think we only kids look at friendships differently because we never had that sibling bond.  I have friends who I know I feel closer to than they feel to me...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 8:03 pm

I don't think I would want to go to something like that, just the idea of a bunch of people who all know each other and then me who barely knows one person would be awkward for me.  I'm not a good conversation starter and I'm no good at small talk...

I also think she probably did invite you intentionally, and if you are comfortable around people you don't know, I would definitely say go...

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/18/10 at 10:55 pm

Four posts by female posters, all engaging in wild speculation on whether or not a blanket invite to a party involved some sort of ulterior motive, because nobody's sure if the invitee qualifies as a "best" girlfriend, and/or whether the invitee was intentionally included in said elite group, or if it was accidental and if it would be somehow rude to show up.

Allow me to shed a different perspective on the situation:

A male would send out the invite as follows:  "Dudes!  I'm gonna be at Foo's Bar tonight.  Beer?"  He would expect that anyone (dude or dudette) who wanted to drink beer (or wine, or cocktails, or even (gasp!) soda) would show up.

A male receiving such an invite would parse it as follows:  "So-and-so is going to be at Foo's Bar tonight and has issued a blanket invite.  If I want to see this person, I should show up whether or not I'm a dude, and whether or not I plan to drink beer."

http://basicinstructions.squarespace.com/storage/2010-08-11-whatmeans.gif

It's moments like this when I'm glad I'm male.  Life is so much simpler.

(Seriously.  Even when language serves as an effective barrier to communication, we somehow manage to work it out, because it just seems wrong when we can't.  The right answer is to show up, party, and if anyone has a problem with it, say "Dude, you idiot, I was invited by the dude that threw the party", and stay.  If the inviter has a problem with it, say "Dude, if it's seriously a problem, I'll bail, but WTF, you invited me!", and stick around until informed that it's seriously a problem.)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/19/10 at 4:01 pm

LOL!  Thanks for the perspective Foo Bar, and everyone else, thanks for the good advice.

As it turns out, I will have my nephew this weekend, so I wouldn't be able to go to the lunch anyway.  He is 2, and I actually took him to a girlfriends lunch about a month ago.  It was a total fiasco.  It's not that he isn't good.  He's just 2.  It was impossible to carry on any sort of conversation with my friends, or enjoy myself.  So I will never try that again.  Anyway, it's all good.  I just posted on the event wall that I couldn't attend, but thanked her for the invite and hoped they all had a good time. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:18 pm

LOL!  Thanks for the perspective Foo Bar, and everyone else, thanks for the good advice.

As it turns out, I will have my nephew this weekend, so I wouldn't be able to go to the lunch anyway.  He is 2, and I actually took him to a girlfriends lunch about a month ago.  It was a total fiasco.  It's not that he isn't good.  He's just 2.  It was impossible to carry on any sort of conversation with my friends, or enjoy myself.  So I will never try that again.  Anyway, it's all good.  I just posted on the event wall that I couldn't attend, but thanked her for the invite and hoped they all had a good time. 

YAY for having a valid excuse to get out of something you don't want to do!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/21/10 at 1:31 am

I always laugh when someone updates their status thinking they are doing a search.  It causes some funny updates... though they don't usually last long :)

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/10 at 1:07 pm

I always laugh when someone updates their status thinking they are doing a search.  It causes some funny updates... though they don't usually last long :)

Hmm I don't think I've seen one- or maybe I have but I just didn't realize it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/23/10 at 3:07 pm

I need more information...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/23/10 at 4:58 pm

I need more information...

As to what I'm talking about, you mean?

At the very top of the FB page there is a search box, but sometimes people accidentally type their search in the Status Update box... so their status update willl come out like:

Steve Johnson max headroom

or

Steve Johnson dirty jokes

or

Steve Johnson michelle king

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/10 at 6:43 am

At the very top of the FB page there is a search box, but sometimes people accidentally type their search in the Status Update box... so their status update willl come out like:

or

or

Apparently Steve Johnson is an idiot!  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/10 at 1:51 pm

or

or

How embarassing!   ;D  It totally sounds like something I would do.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/25/10 at 3:48 am

How embarassing!   ;D  It totally sounds like something I would do.

It just happened again with one of my friends  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/10 at 10:31 am

It just happened again with one of my friends  ;D

your friends are funny! my friends never do that!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/10 at 6:08 pm

your friends are funny! my friends never do that!

I'll remember that when YOU do it someday.  ;D

Although, yeah, that would be my friend... but YOUR wife!

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/10 at 6:17 pm

I'll remember that when YOU do it someday.  ;D

Although, yeah, that would be my friend... but YOUR wife!

;D

Written By: Midas on 08/29/10 at 6:27 pm

I always find it awesome when I put up a status that I'm doing something (such as "I'm moving on ____") and later on I'll add a status that kinda goes along with previous stated status and then a friend will comment asking, "oh, when you moving?"  ::)  Just shows they don't pay that much attention to my wall.  I mean, it's a little more interesting that watching paint dry...    :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/10 at 6:30 pm

I always find it awesome when I put up a status that I'm doing something (such as "I'm moving on ____") and later on I'll add a status that kinda goes along with previous stated status and then a friend will comment asking, "oh, when you moving?"  ::)  Just shows they don't pay that much attention to my wall.  I mean, it's a little more interesting that watching paint dry...    :D

I would say true... but I've had the experience where I get some updates on my page but not all.

I have to actually go check friends past updates to get the full story and, if I'm at work, I may not have time to do that.

Check for new replies or respond here...