inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Carrier pigeon beats broadband

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 8:28 am

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/quirkies/pigeon_pa.jpg

A carrier pigeon won a race with a rural broadband connection to see which could send a video between two counties the fastest.

Rory the pigeon carried the five minute video loaded onto a computer memory card from Beverley in East Yorkshire to Wrangle in Lincolnshire.

At the same time as Rory took off, a computer in Beverley started uploading the same video onto the internet.

The pigeon took about 80 minutes to make the journey - and landed while the computer was still uploading the video.

Campaigners organised the race to highlight rural broadband problems, reports the BBC.

Michelle Brumfield said: "The issue is so widespread some areas are being called 'notspots' - as in the opposite of hotspots."

Subject: Re: Carrier pigeon beats broadband

Written By: Bobby on 09/19/10 at 3:26 pm

Lol.

Britain is very much left behind on the internet situation as we are still using standard cable. However, BT assures us that 10 million homes with use fibre optics by 2012 in line with Virgin's 9 million homes...

http://www.fibreopticbroadband.co.uk/

When rural places get this who knows. They may count themselves lucky to get cable standard, lol.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/19/10 at 4:10 pm

80 minutes?  :o :o :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/10 at 11:43 pm

80 minutes?   :o :o :o

What's so shocking?  RFC 1149 doesn't impose any time limit for the delivery of datagrams.

This has been a long time coming.  It took 10 years from the initial publication to get ping to work.  But in 2001, there it was.

And it took almost another 10 years to turn it into something usable.  It was only last year that RFC-1194-compliant networking beat DSL in South Africa.  This year, it beats British broadband.  

Does your home network support RFC-1194?  If not, maybe it should.  When the Zombiepocalypse happens, do you want your networking gear to be powered by hard-to-generate electricity, or by something as simple as a handfull of seed or stale bread?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/20/10 at 10:57 am

What's so shocking?  RFC 1149 doesn't impose any time limit for the delivery of datagrams.

This has been a long time coming.  It took 10 years from the initial publication to get ping to work.  But in 2001, there it was.

And it took almost another 10 years to turn it into something usable.  It was only last year that RFC-1194-compliant networking beat DSL in South Africa.  This year, it beats British broadband.  

Does your home network support RFC-1194?  If not, maybe it should.  When the Zombiepocalypse happens, do you want your networking gear to be powered by hard-to-generate electricity, or by something as simple as a handfull of seed or stale bread?

Sometimes I wonder if you are powered by hard-to-generate electricity...

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/10 at 9:40 pm

Sometimes I wonder if you are powered by hard-to-generate electricity...

Naw, not even so much as an RTG in me.  I'm still just an ethanol-fueled meatbag like most of the rest of my species.

Check for new replies or respond here...