inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell us about your job

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/27/10 at 6:03 pm

So what do you do all day?  I'm always interested in the ins and outs of various jobs.  Is anybody willing to tell us all what you actually do on a day to day basis?

I'll go first.

I'm a secretary for the health and driver's ed departments of a school district.  I LOVE my job.  No day is ever the same and I do a variety of things all day long, so I am never bored.  I get to work at 8, and normally just check email.  Our voicemail system is also on email now, which is SOOO nice, so I can check those on email as well.  I also check our interdepartment mailbox in the office...just generally see what has happened in the district since I left the day before.  I do all kinds of different things on a monthly basis - Payroll for our teachers, balancing my bosses credit card statements, managing all of our different budgets.  And then there's just a million different things I do on a daily or weekly or just occasional basis - handing out all kinds of materials to teachers, scheduling meetings, conferences and workshops for teachers, typing letters, and talking to parents and past students about their classroom requirements - looking up past records - we have all of the records for every school in our district going back to 1966.  I talk to at least one parent and one past student every day. 

So that's it in a nutshell.  I'm happy where I am but unfortunately I am going to have to leave it soon because it's only a part time position with zero benefits.  :(  I just hope I can find something half as awesome!! 

Subject: Re: Tell us about your job

Written By: gibbo on 09/28/10 at 12:03 am

I am the National Payroll Manager for a Mining Company. I manage 8 staff and ensure that the various payrolls for the Mining company and subsidiary companies run efficiently (and on time)...as well as ensure compliance with various legislative bodies (tax office, auditors etc).

Basically, I sit back...boss people around, listen to people whinge about not getting paid...and then I go home.  Oh...and I hope I help the same people to their jobs and resolve payment issues quickly. I always try to put myself in the callers shoes and give them a fair hearing. Nobody should have to beg for what is rightfully theirs.

I am either the most popular person or the biggest villain on any given day.  ;)  Sort of like here.... ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/28/10 at 12:20 am

I'm currently a service clerk/bagger at Marsh Supermarket. Pretty much just a standard help customers, get carts and cleaning job.

My shifts vary abit, some are evenings, some mornings, some midday. Part of my days off tend to vary as well, although Mondays and Thursdays are usually my most common ones.

Somedays it's like I need to be in two places at once. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/10 at 7:31 am

Job? What's that? Don't know the meaning of the word.

Ok, ok. I retired from the U.S. Air Force at the ripe old age of 26.  :o :o :o (Because of my vision-or lack of.) I did have my teaching certification for K-6 but only really used that to sub once in a while. I have since let my certification lapse because I will never use it again.

Right now, Carlos & I basically buy junk & sell antiques. We started out on eBay until they became "Greed Bay" and now we have a booth at Vermont Antique Mall in Quechee.

http://www.quecheegorge.com/vermont-antique-mall.php

We don't really do it to make a living (it is a good thing because we would be starving and homeless if that was the case) but we do it because it is fun. We will stop doing it when it stops being fun (like it did when we were doing eBay.)

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/28/10 at 7:54 am

For years I worked in banking.  I started out as a bank teller and worked my way up to Manager of the Credit/Debit card department (I hated that job), so I quit.  I got a job at a department store and then I got pregnant.  I worked up until a week before my daughter was born and I've been a stay-at-home mom since then (I would have been working just to pay child care costs). 

So now I am the cook, the maid and the nurse.  I'm on-call 24/7 and I never have a day off.  ;D

Actually, now that both kids are in school all day I'm thinking of finding a part-time job. 

Written By: Howard on 09/28/10 at 2:54 pm

nothing to say at this time as our place will be closing.  ::)

I'm just a silly cartguy!  :P

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/10 at 4:11 pm

No, you are not a silly cartguy. Once your place closes down you will find a better job. :)

I work for Royal Mail and have done for over 8 years. I sort millions of pieces of letters and parcels from all over the world that is difficult to read. I have recently taken on extra duties to become a coach so should hopefully get a temporary role at Christmas and then see how it goes from there.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/10 at 4:23 pm

No, you are not a silly cartguy. Once your place closes down you will find a better job. :)

I work for Royal Mail and have done for over 8 years. I sort millions of pieces of letters and parcels from all over the world that is difficult to read. I have recently taken on extra duties to become a coach so should hopefully get a temporary role at Christmas and then see how it goes from there.  :)

What's a coach do, Bobby?  Is it the kind that has something to do with sports or I think I've heard busses called coaches before...  Sorry for the stupid question.

Written By: Henk on 09/28/10 at 4:42 pm

As some (most?) of you already know, I've been working for an accountancy firm for the past 10 (plus) years.
For the largest part, my job consists of proof reading. I have to make sure all letters, reports, email and other stuff that we send to our clients and other relations (i.e. banks, tax office, Social Security et cetera) meet the required standards. The good thing is: I've basically set the standards myself. :D (Although as a respectable accountancy firm, we are also bound by law and legislation of course!)
In a way, I've a staff of about 45 working for me, though one could also argue that I'm working for 45 people. It's an 8 to 5 job, 40 hours a week, the pay is good and I've no troubles with my co-workers.
Some days are hectic, other are slow. Some days I get 35 emails to process, other days it's down to 12. Some days it seems like everyone wants their letter or report sent that very day. The most difficult part of my job is to keep things under control. If something's coming my way that really needs to be mailed that day, I'm in no position to say no. The most annoying part of course is that those rush jobs always come at the most inconvenient of times (when I'm already working on like a dozen other rush jobs). But somehow I've always managed. 8)

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/10 at 4:46 pm

What's a coach do, Bobby?  Is it the kind that has something to do with sports or I think I've heard busses called coaches before...  Sorry for the stupid question.

It's not a stupid question at all.  :)

A 'coach' is basically an assistant to the manager who completes day-to-day admin duties and managing the quality of the team. A coach doesn't make the big decisions or taking the flack when things go wrong like a manager does. I am in a team of 50 so it will be pretty interesting how this works out. My manager says he is really liking my progress so far...So watch this space.  8)

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 5:03 pm

So that's it in a nutshell.  I'm happy where I am but unfortunately I am going to have to leave it soon because it's only a part time position with zero benefits.   :(  I just hope I can find something half as awesome!! 

If you were paid for that....then... heaven on earth  :D

Ash, what a pitty !!  you need to eat besides to serve to the others,
All around you see the same thing, jobs to eat or jobs to please
to me the best is that which complete both verbs.

But where is it ? ::)

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 5:11 pm

I am the National Payroll Manager for a Mining Company.

I am either the most popular person or the biggest villain on any given day.  ;)  Sort of like here.... ::)

I'm gonna send you my account wage number Gibbo, I hope you show me your popular side  ;)

By the way, when is the payment day ? 

I long for it

Good job boy

Paco

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 5:35 pm

Job? What's that? Don't know the meaning of the word.

Ok, ok. I retired from the U.S. Air Force at the ripe old age of 26.  :o :o :o

Right now, Carlos & I basically buy junk & sell

We don't really do it to make a living (it is a good thing because we would be starving and homeless if that was the case) but we do it because it is fun. We will stop doing it when it stops being fun (like it did when we were doing eBay.)

Cat

What kind of junk, Cat  :o :o :o

I'm just kidding,  :D just a little 8), if you don`t mind girl  ::)

Shipping old woods and goods is a job to let you off the hook, so good for you  :D

Recently it came to me a glaucoma on my left eye, what shrank my vision camp at half. Fortunately I mannage a tug not a jet plane.

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 6:03 pm

So now I am the cook, the maid and the nurse.  I'm on-call 24/7 and I never have a day off.  ;D

For all that job is a great amount to pay off.

Some way, housekeeper is the ideal job to fulfill oneself in family and save some dimes up for raining days.

It befell me for five years in the slipway far from sea. I took care of children and home.
Ever since then I really appreciate what it means A hard eight days a week of word.  ;)

Paco

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 6:19 pm

Heck, no  !!  But if some day it comes I wish and hope you soon find another cart to push and ladies to release from teir load ,  you real gent of mall.

Cross my heart.

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 6:25 pm

I give  my word for it

Maybe have you ever had to answer some order from my little country Spain ?

This kind of job could drive me crazy just in a week, I'm sure  :P

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 6:35 pm

The most annoying part of course is that those rush jobs always come at the most inconvenient of times (when I'm already working on like a dozen other rush jobs). But somehow I've always managed. 8)

Now it makes sense to me the way you sort threats out inthe00s  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 09/28/10 at 6:45 pm

I'm gonna send you my account wage number Gibbo, I hope you show me your popular side  ;)

By the way, when is the payment day ? 

I long for it

Good job boy

Paco

Okay...I'll do you a deal. I'll set you up on our payroll ..but you have to split the payment 50/50 with me.  ;)  Hey...wait a minute...when the cops come (to investigate the fraud) ... they'll only get me!!  :o

Sorry, Paco....nothing for you!!!  :P  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/28/10 at 7:24 pm

Still truckin'.

Got a nice local driving job now, for the most part it's a piece of cake though sometimes I have to unload the trailer by hand, which can be quite physical sometimes.

The biggest drawback is that I have to go in between 3 and 6 in the morning, so I'm not much of a night owl anymore.

The best part is, I have weekends off now, which is pretty freakin' sweet. Plus, the warehouse which my company is based out of is located in an underground cave, which is also kind of cool.

Just do me a favor and don't tell my folks, they still think I'm doing this:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/whorehousepianoplayerjpg.jpg

;)

Written By: seamermar on 09/28/10 at 7:44 pm

My currently job is ship berthing. For those from inland who have never seen a ship looking for a place to rest silent and safe, for them I write this down.

One of the most difficult tasks a Pilot ( an expertised sea captain ) faces inside harbours is the very last moment of berthing a ship alongside a dock. The size of the ships makes them extremely difficult to slow down or stop and this is made even more difficult by the winds running around  the dock. Any hard contact with the dock may cause millions of dollars in damage to either the vessel or the berth or even to our tug. To assist in safely berthing the ship, the Pilots utilize the services of ship berthing tugs, that's ME. We've got powerful tugs that can fasten a line to the ship to pull the ship away from the berth, or push with their bow or stern against the side of the ship move the ship towards the berth ( this is the very hard part of the dance ). Some times difficult to resolve, therefore high risk of crash involve. I lucky never went into a hull in violence, but a week ago I kissed one of them too much passionate and my gunwale took a bend in a whine, without significant damages
We make shift work, some times 12 hours, some 24, all year long. By the way, I have to work on Christmas night, a hoot !

My hand is the rope which pulls the ship and gets her spinning around. Somehow I dance with her, from sun up to sun down, and all night long. You know, I see poetry almost everywhere.

This tug is for hire,
you can't start a ride
without a powered tug
My shove is to help ya

Cuz you can't quit the yards without a burst
Even if we're dancing in the docks.

I could stand talking about this job for hours....if  my Enligh let'd me do.

This a hard job for me indeed....talking about my job.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/28/10 at 10:51 pm

Still truckin'.

Got a nice local driving job now, for the most part it's a piece of cake though sometimes I have to unload the trailer by hand, which can be quite physical sometimes.

The biggest drawback is that I have to go in between 3 and 6 in the morning, so I'm not much of a night owl anymore.

The best part is, I have weekends off now, which is pretty freakin' sweet. Plus, the warehouse which my company is based out of is located in an underground cave, which is also kind of cool.

;)

It's in a cave?  No way!  That's so cool.  I would like to hear more about that!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/28/10 at 10:53 pm

My currently job is ship berthing. For those from inland who have never seen a ship looking for a place to rest silent and safe, for them I write this down.

One of the most difficult tasks a Pilot ( an expertised sea captain ) faces inside harbours is the very last moment of berthing a ship alongside a dock. The size of the ships makes them extremely difficult to slow down or stop and this is made even more difficult by the winds running around  the dock. Any hard contact with the dock may cause millions of dollars in damage to either the vessel or the berth or even to our tug. To assist in safely berthing the ship, the Pilots utilize the services of ship berthing tugs, that's ME. We've got powerful tugs that can fasten a line to the ship to pull the ship away from the berth, or push with their bow or stern against the side of the ship move the ship towards the berth ( this is the very hard part of the dance ). Some times difficult to resolve, therefore high risk of crash involve. I lucky never went into a hull in violence, but a week ago I kissed one of them too much passionate and my gunwale took a bend in a whine, without significant damages
We make shift work, some times 12 hours, some 24, all year long. By the way, I have to work on Christmas night, a hoot !

My hand is the rope which pulls the ship and gets her spinning around. Somehow I dance with her, from sun up to sun down, and all night long. You know, I see poetry almost everywhere.

This tug is for hire,
you can't start a ride
without a powered tug
My shove is to help ya

Cuz you can't quit the yards without a burst
Even if we're dancing in the docks.

I could stand talking about this job for hours....if  my Enligh let'd me do.

This a hard job for me indeed....talking about my job.

I have been on cruise ships before and I have always loved watching the tugs.  I can't even IMAGINE what it must be like guiding a huge ship like that in.  What a huge responsibiliy!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/28/10 at 10:54 pm

I'm really enjoying hearing about what everyone does!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/10 at 10:55 pm

as most of you know I'm a police dispatcher... what some of you know... much to the chargrin of 5 of the 7 dispatchers below me... I'm the lead dispatcher for my agency.

this means that in addition to regular dispatching duties:

answering 911 calls
    answering business calls

helping people who walk up to my window for directions
          advice
          file a report
          get a ticket signed off

answering the radio for
          police
          student security
          ambulance
          fire department
          and monitoring radio traffic for the neighboring agency because we are their closest back up

and doing data entry on citations and reports...

I also have to monitor the consistency of the work of the other dispatchers so I have to:
          check their log entries
          field complaints about them from officers
          train
          update contact information for other agencies and call out services
          update all the manuals
          compile stats every monday of the weekend activites
          make sure the schedule is free of coverage issues
          make sure we have enough employees working special events
          fill as many shifts without using Over Time (because of the stupid budget)
          make sure all equipment is functioning properly and all supplies are stocked
          and about 100 things I can't think of right now...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/28/10 at 10:55 pm

Nothing silly about being a cartguy Howard.  Every job is important!  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/28/10 at 10:57 pm

as most of you know I'm a police dispatcher... what some of you know... much to the chargrin of 5 of the 7 dispatchers below me... I'm the lead dispatcher for my agency.

answering 911 calls
     answering business calls

advice
          file a report
          get a ticket signed off

answering the radio for
          police
          student security
          ambulance
          fire department
          and monitoring radio traffic for the neighboring agency because we are their closest back up

I also have to monitor the consistency of the work of the other dispatchers so I have to:
          check their log entries
          train
          update all the manuals

Deal with INSANE parents who can't handle their kids going to college...

Answer 911 calls about dog doo on the sidewalk...

;)

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/10 at 11:15 pm

;)

yeah... that too!  ;D  I'm totally going to upload the dog poop one to youtube.. once I figure out how...

Written By: Step-chan on 09/28/10 at 11:40 pm

;)

I seen some silly ones, it might have been Jay Leno, like where a guy called 911 about some pigeons flying over his parked car(you can guess why).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/29/10 at 1:17 am

I was a librarian nearly 1/3 off my life.  Both places I worked were small town libraries (5,000 residents or less), although the library that I worked longest at, I was there for the year of expansion (which doubled the size of the building;)  Which basically meant moving and inventorying every last one of the 50,000 books in the collection (twice). 
http://www.bellaire.lib.oh.us/imagesv3/Library/Staff%20and%20Board/PattyNewspaperv3.jpg
This is a picture of me (at work) that was in the newspaper in 1999.

I also created the website from scratch but once I left, the next person responsible for it, more or less, just put everything on a new background and credited herself with creating it.  (Nah, I'm not bitter about it at all.  ;D )  Oh well.

When I left, I knew it was time to move on, two people who had been employed there half the time I was jumped over me in promotion and I just felt stagnant.  About six months later I got married again, and became just a housewife.  I've given a half-hearted attempt at looking for work in the library field but the federal budget for this service is quickly depleting and alot of libraries are closing or letting people go. 

I guess I haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up yet.  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/29/10 at 6:54 am

Heck, no  !!   But if some day it comes I wish and hope you soon find another cart to push and ladies to release from teir load ,  you real gent of mall.

Cross my heart.

Don't bet on it.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/29/10 at 6:56 am

Nothing silly about being a cartguy Howard.  Every job is important!   :)

I know,I guess I feel down at this time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/10 at 8:56 am

I work as a residential counselor with individuals with developmental disabilities. Basically, we are their hands and feet...we do everything for them. I work at a geriatric house, we have quite a few more responsibilities (more meds to pass, straight cathing, etc). I love my job because it feels good to be able to help people. I am planning on going back to college to become a registered nurse...I can't wait! I am going to be specializing in geriatrics, especially dementia/Alzheimer's patients. I can't wait to start my new journey!! :O)

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/10 at 10:34 am

Great pic patty!

Good luck Erin!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/10 at 11:43 am

What kind of junk, Cat  :o :o :o

I'm just kidding,   :D just a little 8), if you don`t mind girl  ::)

Shipping old woods and goods is a job to let you off the hook, so good for you  :D

Recently it came to me a glaucoma on my left eye, what shrank my vision camp at half. Fortunately I mannage a tug not a jet plane.

We buy whatever junk we can.  ;)  We go to auctions a lot and sometimes they sell boxes full of stuff and sometimes we can get it for a good price. One time we got a box full of brass "stuff"-bowls, boxes, cups, bookends, etc. all for about $35. We also got a box full of Japanese/Chinese Buddha statues for $10. One of the statues I saw selling on-line for over $100.  :o :o :o  I hope we can get that much for it. One time we bought a box of Native American stuff for $5. There was an Iroquois mask in it and we sold that on eBay for over $100.  :o :o :o  Not bad profit. Like I said, it is fun-especially going to the auctions. It is also fun when we sell stuff-but unfortunately, sales are not as good as we would like.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Here are a couple of pics of our booth and you can see the kind of stuff we buy/sell.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/002.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/007.jpg

Cat

Written By: seamermar on 09/29/10 at 5:09 pm

A large range of pieces and someone else memories .

Each and every piece sould have a story to tell,
you won't get bored in this lifetime
as long as you find stuff to buy and sell
so it will probably take a cold day in hell  :D

Thanks for sharing, I like to see and know about penguins's life, as much as they show me. ;)

Written By: seamermar on 09/29/10 at 5:15 pm

Okay...I'll do you a deal. I'll set you up on our payroll ..but you have to split the payment 50/50 with me.   ;)   Hey...wait a minute...when the cops come (to investigate the fraud) ... they'll only get me!!  :o

Sorry, Paco....nothing for you!!!  :P  ;D

Com'on Gibbie, try again !! and don't worry about the heat you can fly and hide across the sea, I can make room for thee  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/29/10 at 6:25 pm

We buy whatever junk we can.  ;)  We go to auctions a lot and sometimes they sell boxes full of stuff and sometimes we can get it for a good price. One time we got a box full of brass "stuff"-bowls, boxes, cups, bookends, etc. all for about $35. We also got a box full of Japanese/Chinese Buddha statues for $10. One of the statues I saw selling on-line for over $100.  :o :o :o  I hope we can get that much for it. One time we bought a box of Native American stuff for $5. There was an Iroquois mask in it and we sold that on eBay for over $100.  :o :o :o  Not bad profit. Like I said, it is fun-especially going to the auctions. It is also fun when we sell stuff-but unfortunately, sales are not as good as we would like.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Here are a couple of pics of our booth and you can see the kind of stuff we buy/sell.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/002.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/007.jpg

Cat

you have a very neat collection.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/29/10 at 8:23 pm

I am a data entry babysitter supervisor. 

I train and keep track of keyers and their schedules.  I also do data entry for whoever decides they want to hire our company.  We have no shame, we will take any work as long as they pay. ;D

Despite the annoying ones in my office, I love my job.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/10 at 10:57 pm

I don't wanna say what my job is as it would put truth to what some already say is common knowledge about the type of job it is.  lol

Let's just say it's similar in subject to a new fall show on NBC.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/10 at 1:36 am

Earliest vision I ever had of my career was this guy, back in 1979, some time shortly before I touched my first computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDkmVo2fg4

And it's home again, eat again, watch some TV,
Mock Christine O'Donnel at 1:33, ((c'mon, I missed it by less than three minutes!))
I dream the same dream when I'm sleepin 'at night,
I'm trollin' on the '00s like an eagle in flight...

Funny thing is that I ended up enjoying something pretty close to the White Collar Holler.  Spared the wife and kids by skipping both.  Love the work.  And found a place that will never require me to wear a necktie.  Been there for longer than I've been here, and I've been here a long time.  To riff off Joe Walsh, life's been good to me so far.  

But I still miss the music of Stan Rogers.  Flip a coin - heads you get off the plane, tails you die in a fire.  At age 33, Rogers got the raw end of that bet, and I still wonder about what songs we've missed out on during the intervening quarter-century.

Written By: seamermar on 09/30/10 at 3:46 am

Still truckin'.
Plus, the warehouse which my company is based out of is located in an underground cave, which is also kind of cool.

;)

I bet there's a piano in a corner of that cave where All Bee's playing tonight

I love the way this guy is staring at roof
as if he never made in his whole life a goof
:)

Written By: seamermar on 09/30/10 at 4:18 am

Earliest vision I ever had of my career was this guy, back in 1979, some time shortly before I touched my first computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDkmVo2fg4

And it's home again, eat again, watch some TV,
Mock Christine O'Donnel at 1:33, ((c'mon, I missed it by less than three minutes!))
I dream the same dream when I'm sleepin 'at night,
I'm trollin' on the '00s like an eagle in flight...

Funny thing is that I ended up enjoying something pretty close to the White Collar Holler.  Spared the wife and kids by skipping both.  Love the work.  And found a place that will never require me to wear a necktie.  Been there for longer than I've been here, and I've been here a long time.  To riff off Joe Walsh, life's been good to me so far.  

But I still miss the music of Stan Rogers.  Flip a coin - heads you get off the plane, tails you die in a fire.  At age 33, Rogers got the raw end of that bet, and I still wonder about what songs we've missed out on during the intervening quarter-century.

I can't still pick it up what you do for a living but I agree with almost everything you stated, above all refusing to wear a necktie  8-P... at job.

Great to know about Stan Rogers, I never heard him before, that's not strange being from Spain, but from now on he's between my songs and I'll be a white Collar Holler at docks.

Thanks a lot Foo Bar

and  you deserve a yummi karma nectar for not to wear a crummy necktie in your freaky whole life ;)

Written By: seamermar on 09/30/10 at 4:47 am

Here comes my ghost again, well I'll be damned, but this is not unsual if you manage a tug  :( 8)

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/practicosfeb0974.jpg

Pretty  "hard, bold" as facing the cargos.
Great crash-risk involved

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/practicosfeb0976.jpg

But someone sent me an angel

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/practicosfeb0979.jpg

To keep me from bumping to the docks

Written By: Howard on 09/30/10 at 6:56 am

Here comes my ghost again, well I'll be damned, but this is not unsual if you manage a tug  :( 8)

Wow that is such a nice ship. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/30/10 at 8:14 pm

Paco is that your actual tug?  It's so cool!

Written By: seamermar on 09/30/10 at 10:30 pm

That is ! You can say I spend plenty of my time dancing in the docks inside such a machine ox.

The worse thing is the noise, we hardly hear each other on the cabin and also the pilot's voice coming from transceptor, but I love spinning tones and tones of iron in the midle of the dock.
Take her by the nose while closing to harbour mouth, and make her go towards her quay.

I think it's gonna be my last job after a lotta works changes.

Which I'm willing to share, Ash.

Only time, I need some time to improve ways to say, explain and tell. ;)

Written By: seamermar on 10/01/10 at 3:15 pm

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/MSCRosaria20-6-096.jpg

You can count yourself lucky when the sun touch on your deck  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/10 at 3:16 pm

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/AquietmomentTug.jpg

You can count yourself lucky when the sun touch on your deck  :)

That is a beautiful scene.

Written By: seamermar on 10/01/10 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Howard, how about your occupation ? it's going well ?

Written By: seamermar on 10/01/10 at 3:31 pm

Still truckin'.

;)

I found the song that fit you Alb

He's a drug store truck drivin man
He's a head of the piano's men
When summer rolls around
He'll be lucky if he's not Folsom pen

With some llicenses  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/10 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Howard, how about your occupation ? it's going well ?

mine is doing pretty well.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 12:31 pm

Here comes my ghost again, well I'll be damned, but this is not unsual if you manage a tug  :( 8)

So you work aboard a tugboat guiding container ships into the port? That's way cool.  :)

I've always wanted to go to one of those ports and watch them load and unload the containers on and off the ships.

I live in the Midwestern United States, which is about as far from an ocean as you can get in North America, yet I see those overseas shipping containers everywhere. Kansas City, where I reside now, is a major transportation hub and they have several intermodal rail yards with stacks of containers that go on for miles and miles.

About 10 years ago I had a job where I'd drive a truck to these intermodal rail terminals (in Omaha, Nebraska) and they'd load an empty container onto a bare chassis I was pulling and I'd get it loaded and then take it back to the intermodal yard to get loaded onto a train.

(Kind of like this:)

http://www.icl-ltd.com/App_Content/media/intermodalTruck.jpg

And of course there's always container trains going down the rails:

http://www.greenlightintermodal.info/images/bn_intermodal_pic_1998.jpg

Even though I'm not involved in it anymore, I still find the whole overseas container system to be utterly fascinating. :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/02/10 at 12:44 pm

I give  my word for it

Maybe have you ever had to answer some order from my little country Spain ?

This kind of job could drive me crazy just in a week, I'm sure  :P

I am sure your order has been processed somewhere down the line, Seamermar. The job I do is not awe-inspiring but I see it as just a chapter in my life. I love the pictures of your tugboat.  8)

Written By: Howard on 10/02/10 at 3:17 pm

So you work aboard a tugboat guiding container ships into the port? That's way cool.  :)

I've always wanted to go to one of those ports and watch them load and unload the containers on and off the ships.

I live in the Midwestern United States, which is about as far from an ocean as you can get in North America, yet I see those overseas shipping containers everywhere. Kansas City, where I reside now, is a major transportation hub and they have several intermodal rail yards with stacks of containers that go on for miles and miles.

About 10 years ago I had a job where I'd drive a truck to these intermodal rail terminals (in Omaha, Nebraska) and they'd load an empty container onto a bare chassis I was pulling and I'd get it loaded and then take it back to the intermodal yard to get loaded onto a train.

(Kind of like this:)

http://www.icl-ltd.com/App_Content/media/intermodalTruck.jpg

And of course there's always container trains going down the rails:

http://www.greenlightintermodal.info/images/bn_intermodal_pic_1998.jpg

Even though I'm not involved in it anymore, I still find the whole overseas container system to be utterly fascinating. :)

that's a very big Truck Al.  :o

Written By: seamermar on 10/02/10 at 4:00 pm

answering 911 calls
     answering business calls

advice
          file a report
          get a ticket signed off

answering the radio for
          police
          student security
          ambulance
          fire department

check their log entries
          train
          update all the manuals

Just a question "Q", have you got a magic wand ?  ;)
Can you cope with the cops ? I heard L.A. Police is hard to cope with  :-\\  ::)
This got to be such a madhouse Snozberries... :o

To have to be so powerful my dear.

Paco

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/10 at 4:07 pm

Just a question "Q", have you got a magic wand ?  ;)
Can you cope with the cops ? I heard L.A. Police is hard to cope with  :-\\  ::)
This got to be such a madhouse Snozberries... :o

To have to be so powerful my dear.

Paco

I need a magic wand!  ;D 

I cope with copes quite well... the best part about being a police dispatcher is we tell cops where to go!  ;D

Cops are like everyone else... there are good ones and bad ones... its not that LAPD is so bad it's just that there are a lot of cops in LA but only the bad ones get press....

karma paco.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/10 at 4:34 pm

I need a magic wand!  ;D 

Do what I did-make one.  ;)  Actually, I have to finish making mine.  :-[  When you make your own wand-the magic is more powerful than if someone makes it for you.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/10 at 5:00 pm

Do what I did-make one.  ;)  Actually, I have to finish making mine.  :-[  When you make your own wand-the magic is more powerful than if someone makes it for you.

Cat

I never thought of that... now to decide what to make it out of... I suppose breaking out the bottom part of one of those plastic hangers doesn't count?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/10 at 5:20 pm

I never thought of that... now to decide what to make it out of... I suppose breaking out the bottom part of one of those plastic hangers doesn't count?

Probably not. The next time you are in a park or someplace, see if you can find a stick. It doesn't matter what kind or how long or short. If it feels right, than it is.  ;)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/10 at 7:09 pm

Probably not. The next time you are in a park or someplace, see if you can find a stick. It doesn't matter what kind or how long or short. If it feels right, than it is.  ;)

Cat

okay...  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/10 at 8:50 am

Here's my truck from my last job:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/IMG_2211.jpg

I'll have to get some photos from the cave.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/10 at 9:52 am

aw... Al-B's got his very own man cave....on wheels!!!  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/03/10 at 10:59 am

hmmm sygma - are you delivering food to public institutions and restraunts ???

Written By: seamermar on 10/03/10 at 11:08 am

More than a cave I guess it's his vice and inquity den.
I bet there's a piano at a corner strictly tethered.
You know it even got some stairs right up to the Al-B's downfall.

Yes, I do really love this big rig, my long-for-pianist trucker, if I weren't on my tug..I swear it'll be a truck the kind of machine I looked for driving.
In some way you and I keep the big wheel on turning. ::)

AL-B, just a question, is it a fifty foot rig ?, I'm not familiar with American trucks, I guess they are bigger than Europe.

Thanks for showing this beauty to us, chap ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/10 at 11:20 am

More than a cave I guess it's his vice and inquity den.
I bet there's a piano at a corner strictly tethered.
You know it even got some stairs right up to the Al-B's downfall.

Yes, I do really love this big rig, my long-for-pianist trucker, if I weren't on my tug..I swear it'll be a truck the kind of machine I looked for driving.
In some way you and I keep the big wheel on turning. ::)

AL-B, just a question, is it a fifty foot rig ?, I'm not familiar with American trucks, I guess they are bigger than Europe.

Thanks for showing this beauty to us, chap ;)

Hey thanks, I'm glad you like the picture.  And to answer your question, the trailer is 48 feet long.

Still I wish I lived next to the ocean, you have a really cool job.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/10 at 11:25 am

I'm beginning to wonder if seamermar

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/Onto%20waves/Apenguinatthetiller.jpg

is really...

The Most Interesting Man in the World!  :o :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ym2Jma04qo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9GYocBqGyA&feature=related

;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/10 at 11:35 am

hmmm sygma - are you delivering food to public institutions and restraunts ???

Yeah, that picture was taken at a Wendy's up in Lincoln.

I quit that job back in June and now have a local delivery job.

I really need to take my camera to work and figure out a way to film myself driving into the cave, it's actually kind of cool. ;)

Written By: seamermar on 10/03/10 at 1:51 pm

That's right AL-B, the whole world business keep on rolling by two radical invents, the wheel and......the box.

Circle and square have made trading go way fast.

Somewhere I found this about the container, it may interest you:

Today, guest scientist Andrew Boyd discusses The Box.

When the converted oil tanker Ideal-X arrived in the Port of Houston on May 1, 1956, no one imagined the global change it foreshadowed. Longshoremen stopped work and ran to the edge of the dock to watch. So did businessmen who had flown from the port of origin in Newark, New Jersey. One witness said, "We had seen thousands of tankers in Houston, but never one like this. So everybody looked at this monstrosity and they couldn't believe their eyes." But it wasn't the ship itself that captured the onlookers' attention. It was the many metal boxes strapped to the deck, each roughly the size of a truck trailer.

In his book The Box, Marc Levinson tells the history of those unpretentious crates. "What is it about the container that is so im-portant?" writes Levinson, "Surely not the thing itself. A soulless aluminum or steel box held together with welds and rivets, with a wooden floor and two enormous doors on one end: the standard container has all the romance of a tin can." In fact, engineers find much to admire. From the design of the corner-posts to the stacking brackets, shipping containers display the finest elements of "here's-a-problem-let's-solve-it" engineering.

But the true marvel of the shipping container was how it changed the engineering of the world economy. Before 1956, packages were loaded by hand. As a result, ships spent weeks in port -- far more time than they spent at sea. Today, huge cranes unload a standard shipping container and return to retrieve another in under two minutes, allowing huge vessels to dock and sail in less than a day. When the Ideal-X first sailed, the cost of loading loose cargo was six dollars a ton. That plummeted to a mere 16 cents with the use of shipping containers.

Great as these savings were, we didn't feel the full impact of container shipping until it spread throughout the supply chain. Trucks and trains were quick to adopt standardized containers. Even manufacturers embraced shipping practices that capitalized on the economies of working "within the box." Industrial engineers and operations researchers stepped up with insightful new mathematics to take full advantage of the efficiencies created by containerization. In less than 50 years -- practically overnight for such a capital-intensive enterprise -- transportation and manufacturing were completely re-engineered.

Great ports that failed to see the coming change disappeared, while others grew to international prominence. Singapore, one of the world's smallest countries and the world's largest container-port, hosted 148 cargo ships per day in 2005, moving the equivalent of 23 million, 20-foot containers during the year. With thousands upon thousands of containers in port at any given time, a drive along the waterfront is a spectacle as impressive as a shuttle launch.

Shipping containers are now part of our daily lives. We pass them on highways -- count them as they go by at train crossings. They're the bits and bytes of an international trade network they created. And the true genius they represent is less the box itself than it is the genius of catching an idea whose time has come.

Sorry if you get bored,  8)

Written By: seamermar on 10/03/10 at 2:20 pm

Better stay thirsty that horny my friend  ;)

And why not to say it,  I use to cook stricken chickens in my kitchen.

And nope ! I don't look kind of Hemingway at all  :(
but in time...who knows ?  8)

LoL ! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif I willingly fetch a beer to the pianist  ;)

Written By: seamermar on 10/03/10 at 2:35 pm

Hey thanks, I'm glad you like the picture.  And to answer your question, the trailer is 48 feet long.

Still I wish I lived next to the ocean, you have a really cool job.  ;)

I guess trailing long roads is a very hard work. Sleep and loneliness make endless the road.
Have you ever been involved in some kind of crash-truck in your long fifty rig ride ?

I saw a lot on youtube, and I broke out in goose-pumples

As for the ocean, you should ever take a ride once in a while.

I don't know why, but I need it into my life.
Maybe cause we all come from the water we go to the beach to feel our deepest instincts.
My life is a turnaround from sea to higher ridges.

Written By: Midas on 10/03/10 at 6:10 pm

I don't wanna say what my job is as it would put truth to what some already say is common knowledge about the type of job it is.  lol

Let's just say it's similar in subject to a new fall show on NBC.

You sell novelty items from India?  :D

Written By: Midas on 10/03/10 at 6:15 pm

Without going into too much detail, I'm a client service rep for an investment company.  No sales.  Just service and guidance.  I'm still in training for my new position.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/10 at 6:31 pm

Wow,that is some big ass truck.  :o

Written By: seamermar on 10/04/10 at 2:16 am

Without going into too much detail, I'm a client service rep for an investment company.  No sales.  Just service and guidance.  I'm still in training for my new position.  :)

I thought you were casting good vibes up over the clouds  :)

Then, are you a  renegade of retro-renegade ?
I think I'm gonna take a walk aroung Midas-clouds once in a while.  ::) :P

Written By: seamermar on 10/04/10 at 2:44 am

Yeah, that picture was taken at a Wendy's up in Lincoln.

I quit that job back in June and now have a local delivery job.

I really need to take my camera to work and figure out a way to film myself driving into the cave, it's actually kind of cool. ;)

Then you were trucking the old Chisholm trail.
Maybe, you are the last cowboy from the last cowboy song,

I'm looking for taking a look at this cave
I'm sure the place is worth to make a save  ;)

Written By: Midas on 10/08/10 at 4:51 pm

I thought you were casting good vibes up over the clouds  :)

Then, are you a  renegade of retro-renegade ?
I think I'm gonna take a walk aroung Midas-clouds once in a while.  ::) :P

Oh I do that too, but I don't get paid for that.  :D  I gots to pay tha bills and eat!  ;D

Written By: seamermar on 10/10/10 at 2:07 pm

I won't get a second chance to write down this below:  ;)

I bet my ass you'll do that,

to pay your bills, and eat to keep you pretty hefty  :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/10 at 2:14 pm

Midas I think Paco just called you fat!  ;D

Written By: seamermar on 10/10/10 at 2:24 pm

Back on tug, I think sometimes of you in my breaking hours, a way to keep myself from boredom during the stand-by moments at docks.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/Tightontug.jpg

We can move thousand of boxes from all over the world in a 24 hours work. Some from the East, some from the west.
And me I'm sitting on my chair behind the wheel, watching good victuals going on for some whishes to fulfill.
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/Enforcer3.jpg
Yeah I see how the big deal keep on turning, from my boat seat.
I wonder how many turnarounds are left before I stopped  ::)

Written By: seamermar on 10/10/10 at 2:26 pm

Midas I think Paco just called you fat!  ;D

Damned dictionary !! I didn't mean to do so  :-[
Huuuuum, do you think I'm in trouble for that Snoz ?
If so I think I need a place to hide, deep in the countryside or so   :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/10 at 2:53 pm

Damned dictionary !! I didn't mean to do so   :-[
Huuuuum, do you think I'm in trouble for that Snoz ?
If so I think I need a place to hide, deep in the countryside or so   :-\\

Nah I think you'll be okay Paco. I'm just having fun with you.

Hefty, in the US means large and durable.

I think you might have meant to say hearty  :)

Written By: seamermar on 10/10/10 at 3:04 pm

You can see and know why I'm almost always in amIright. I make everything into parodies, cuz the whole life is nothing but mockery.

One evening I was at the mouth of the harbour waiting for my ship to dance with, and then I saw her.
Lovers at first sight, thinking about the chances we're berthing before falls the night.
She was so nice and the name she bore was Amy cutest ship for me to berth.
As I went ahead of her, my tug told me in a puff of smoke I should steer slowly to keep dancing for long.
And that way was how I took my last waltz with Amy to whom I miss now inthe00s.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr334/seamermar/harbour/MSCAmy8-5-0916.jpg

Written By: seamermar on 10/10/10 at 3:06 pm

Nah I think you'll be okay Paco. I'm just having fun with you.

Hefty, in the US means large and durable.

I think you might have meant to say hearty  :)

Yes he seems so hearty to me....as well  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/10/10 at 6:19 pm

Back on tug, I think sometimes of you in my breaking hours, a way to keep myself from boredom during the stand-by moments at docks.

Cool picture!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/11/10 at 7:02 am

We can move thousand of boxes from all over the world in a 24 hours work. Some from the East, some from the west.
And me I'm sitting on my chair behind the wheel, watching good victuals going on for some whishes to fulfill.

Wow,pretty incredible Paco.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/11/10 at 9:07 pm

Handsome man!

Written By: gibbo on 10/12/10 at 1:27 am

So....you're a drug smuggler then?  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 10/12/10 at 1:29 am

Handsome man!

Thank You!  ::)

Written By: seamermar on 10/12/10 at 3:55 am

Thank You!  ::)

Well, I'll be damned
here comes your ghost again...
That's not unsual
it's just he's in jealous mood  ::)

Hey Aussie you're crazy !! >:(  Look at the face that man  8)

The compliment went to Spain instead of kangaroo land  :D  :P :P :P :P :P :P

By the way, by Brisbane I heard you were in water past your necks
I hope you and relatives are all safe and sound  ;) and not in a soak  :\'(

Written By: seamermar on 10/12/10 at 4:10 am

Handsome man!

though maybe you're wrong this time
cause you can't see all these wrinkles
you just put in my eyes a happy twinkle
let it go Ash and you'll turn a hobby of mine.

you're always welcome  ;)

Written By: seamermar on 10/12/10 at 4:45 am

I'm still waiting for to see you behind the truck's wheel, or  at the cave typing keys AL-B  ::)

You just showed yourself up as a beer belly pirate, and no pic of you on the truck my friend  :(

Well, at least I can see you heading a m

Written By: Howard on 10/12/10 at 6:55 am

So....you're a drug smuggler then?  ;)

That doesn't look like drugs.

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/10 at 12:26 pm

That doesn't look like drugs.

people smuggle more than drugs howard...

Written By: Howard on 10/12/10 at 6:59 pm

people smuggle more than drugs howard...

yes I know that Q.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/13/10 at 1:08 am

yes I know that Q.  ::)

I'm just saying sheesh.

Written By: karen on 10/13/10 at 10:58 am

I work as a receptionist/admin for a home improvements company.  I confirm appointments via telephone and shuffle lots of pieces of paper, both within the office and via fax to the people who are allowed to use computers!

Written By: Howard on 10/13/10 at 1:32 pm

I work as a receptionist/admin for a home improvements company.  I confirm appointments via telephone and shuffle lots of pieces of paper, both within the office and via fax to the people who are allowed to use computers!

It must be stressful over there. ???

Written By: karen on 10/14/10 at 11:39 am

It must be stressful over there. ???

in little bursts it can get very busy but sometimes I am twiddling my thumbs.

Written By: seamermar on 10/14/10 at 6:26 pm

I am twiddling my thumbs.

I thought it was only a witch in the decades, well Karen casting spells can be a hard work as well  :) ;)

I learn there's a lotta interesting jobs over there ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/14/10 at 7:40 pm

in little bursts it can get very busy but sometimes I am twiddling my thumbs.

How many times in one day does the phone ring? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/22/10 at 9:12 pm

This isn't the cave my warehouse is located in but it's similar. This is over by Independence and I've delivered here a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYc_nI-yig

Written By: Howard on 10/23/10 at 7:00 am

I'm a cartguy at The Ozone Park Pathmark.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/10 at 10:44 pm

This isn't the cave my warehouse is located in but it's similar. This is over by Independence and I've delivered here a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYc_nI-yig

Do they use caves because humidity is an issue back there?  Don't get me wrong - it's really cool.  It's just weird!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/10 at 10:51 pm

Well I've been at my new job long enough to feel qualified to talk about it.  I am now the secretary for the Math, Science, and World Languages/Dual Immersion programs. And I have about a million bosses now.  I really just have 3 main ones, but then there are a bunch of people that I do expenses for, and all kinds of misc stuff, so it can get a little overwhelming.  It's been really great though.  I love working in new departments - it's really fascinating, and impressive to see what goes on in the school district.  Dual Immersion is my favorite program.  It's just cool.  They start in first grade, teaching students not only another language (either French, Spanish or Chinese) but they teach core subjects IN the language.  So not only is the student learning Chinese, they are learning math in Chinese.  It's one reason they have our departments together.  We have an Interconnections program where all of our specialists work together to teach our teachers how to implement all of this.  It's just incredible to see how much the kids learn.  Anyway, I am loving it.  It's really challenging, but really great at the same time.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/24/10 at 1:01 am

That is pretty cool Al!

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/10 at 1:19 am

Sounds fascinating Ash.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/24/10 at 4:06 pm

Well I've been at my new job long enough to feel qualified to talk about it.  I am now the secretary for the Math, Science, and World Languages/Dual Immersion programs. And I have about a million bosses now.  I really just have 3 main ones, but then there are a bunch of people that I do expenses for, and all kinds of misc stuff, so it can get a little overwhelming.  It's been really great though.  I love working in new departments - it's really fascinating, and impressive to see what goes on in the school district.  Dual Immersion is my favorite program.  It's just cool.  They start in first grade, teaching students not only another language (either French, Spanish or Chinese) but they teach core subjects IN the language.  So not only is the student learning Chinese, they are learning math in Chinese.  It's one reason they have our departments together.  We have an Interconnections program where all of our specialists work together to teach our teachers how to implement all of this.  It's just incredible to see how much the kids learn.  Anyway, I am loving it.  It's really challenging, but really great at the same time.
Sounds awesome...one of the disadvantages to being in a small school with small budgets.  :P

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 5:03 pm

That sounds great, Ash. I am very happy for you.  :)

Written By: mooster on 10/26/10 at 4:41 am

Accounts/Payroll

Written By: Howard on 10/26/10 at 7:12 am

I'm a cartperson,I retrieve carts as well as take out the garbage.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/10 at 3:06 pm

Accounts/Payroll

happy belated birthday, karma and yay you're still working that's great...

Written By: seamermar on 10/28/10 at 5:02 pm

AL-B, I'm astonished, I have no idea about these kind of caves, they must be a little cold, and the smoke isn't a problem with all these trucks come and go ?

But I still miss the piano  ;)

T F S

Written By: seamermar on 10/28/10 at 5:10 pm

I'm a cartguy at The Ozone Park Pathmark.

In some way I think you got a healthy job Howard, I guess the air you breathe is good and you'll always have some food to chew when your tummy's trumbling.

Can you have some "kit Kat " between cart and cart ? It will be hard for me not to fall in tentation Howard, I have a really sweet tooth

Written By: seamermar on 10/28/10 at 5:29 pm

..........  I am now the secretary for the Math, Science, and World Languages/Dual Immersion ............  Dual Immersion is my favorite program.  It's just cool............. teaching students not only another language (...... Spanish.........) but they teach core subjects IN the language.  So not only is the student learning Chinese, they are learning math in Chinese........  Anyway, I am loving it.  It's really challenging, but really great at the same time.

Absolutely fabulous Ash.    Something new,  many people, teaching and learning, challenges, there have some of the ingredients for hapiness.

Good for you !!

I couldn't learn Math in my own languange, so I can't imagine how it could be learning it in Chineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ! :D

Maybe some day you try to learn Spanish before Chinese  ;)

I started learning English only a few years ago, and every day I want to improve a bit more, that's the best, it makes you feel so alive, new and eager as a teenager.

So I'm glad you can cope with a million bosses  ;)
for this trade I think I'm out of aces :)

Written By: Howard on 10/28/10 at 7:50 pm

In some way I think you got a healthy job Howard, I guess the air you breathe is good and you'll always have some food to chew when your tummy's trumbling.

Can you have some "kit Kat " between cart and cart ? It will be hard for me not to fall in tentation Howard, I have a really sweet tooth

collecting carts is some excersize.

Written By: seamermar on 10/29/10 at 4:35 pm

Yes +the exercice.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/29/10 at 8:04 pm

Yes +the exercice.  ;)

and this parking lot is quite huge. :o

Written By: Brian06 on 10/31/10 at 7:59 pm

I'm starting a new one tomorrow at a logistics warehouse. It pays a lot better than the retail stuff I've done before. Well tomorrow is orientation so I'll be seeing the details of what I'll be doing. Too bad it'll be a 30 mile drive but it's worth it.

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/10 at 10:47 pm

^ congrats! and good luck tomorrow.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/01/10 at 7:04 am

I'm starting a new one tomorrow at a logistics warehouse. It pays a lot better than the retail stuff I've done before. Well tomorrow is orientation so I'll be seeing the details of what I'll be doing. Too bad it'll be a 30 mile drive but it's worth it.
Good Luck!  I am sure it will be fantastic.  Logistics is a huge business now, we have a community college that is now devoted entirely to their logistics program. 8) And yes there is some good money in it!

Written By: Howard on 11/01/10 at 7:12 am

Good Luck. :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/10 at 6:20 pm

What company? (If you don't mind my asking.)

Written By: seamermar on 11/01/10 at 6:41 pm

Good luck with the job Brian, cause starting a new work on Halloween can be hazardous  :D

I hope you got  treat than trick  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/05/10 at 11:00 am

answering 911 calls
     answering business calls

advice
          file a report
          get a ticket signed off

answering the radio for
          police
          student security
          ambulance
          fire department

check their log entries
          train
          update all the manuals

Snoz - Is that you at the end of an episode of COPS?  You know the line:

"132 and Bush, I've got him at gunpoint... Okay, gunpoint, 132 and Bush, cover's code three."

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/10 at 11:34 am

Snoz - Is that you at the end of an episode of COPS?  You know the line:

"132 and Bush, I've got him at gunpoint... Okay, gunpoint, 132 and Bush, cover's code three."

well that's not me but it's what I do...

ever watch the old Adam-12 series? 

One-Adam-Twelve see the man regarding keep the peace at 17th and Wilshire.

That's me too... lol

Written By: DoRitos on 11/05/10 at 12:10 pm

well that's not me but it's what I do...

ever watch the old Adam-12 series? 

One-Adam-Twelve see the man regarding keep the peace at 17th and Wilshire.

That's me too... lol

I remember Adam 12.  And yeah now that you point that out the voice seems the same as the voice at the end of a COPS episode.  Wow, you're like a super dispatcher.  A famous voice without a face.  Protector of the public at large - first line of communication in a crisis.  I bet your job is rarely boring.  You must come home with some interesting events to describe to your family after a shift. 

My dad was a deputy warden at a county jail for about 10 years.  He came home with some interesting stories.  He used to take me there when I was off school when he picked up his pay check.  I saw enough to know that I never wanted to be a guest of the state.  He worked the night shift and warned me that I had better never be brought in on his watch - he would show me no mercy.  He showed me "the hole" when I went with him once.  That is where he said he'd put me if I was ever brought in during his watch.  As a teenager I was no angel and he knew that.  The thought of "the hole" and my own father throwing me into it made me become well adjusted in short order.  Sure I did things, like any other delinquent teenagers that I should not have but I was smart about it or just lucky enough to never get caught. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/10 at 12:26 pm

great story! thanks for sharing...

yeah I occasionally have some great stories but I have no one to share them with so I come here to share them with my "family"

oh and karma and many thanks for your kind words and praise! 

Written By: DoRitos on 11/05/10 at 12:41 pm

yeah I occasionally have some great stories but I have no one to share them with so I come here to share them with my "family"

Snoz - You can share your stuff with me anytime I'm online.  I'm a good listener.  And Karma right back atcha.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/10 at 12:53 pm

Snoz - You can share your stuff with me anytime I'm online.  I'm a good listener.  And Karma right back atcha.

thanks!

Written By: Howard on 11/05/10 at 3:05 pm

AW!  :)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/06/10 at 11:29 pm

AW!  :)

Howard - I don't care that you "just" consider yourself only a cart pusher at Pathway and you have proclaimed this fact more than several times in posts on this tread that you are a person of great potential in my humble opinion. You do a very important service to your employer.  I have been to retail outlets and due to the lack of available carts, that are on hand has resulted in customers leaving that establishimet for another place, me included. 

I consider you  a very intersting element on this messagebaord. Your replies on threads suggests that you have imagination, albiet off kilter many times but showing potential nonetheless.  This tells me that you are not afraid to take risks with your replies and with a bit of tweaking can be most benificial to your life from this point forward.  This shows to me that you are capable of much more than whatever it is that is holding you back. 

I have been where you are now and after a lot of years of taking BS and doing what I have been told and doing it without making waves seems to have paid off.  I think that you operate much in the same way that I have.  I woke one day to see myself now, and what I see now is being more responsible and expected to do a lot less manual work, have more responsibility and respect and make a lot more money than I did back in the old days. The sense of resposibility and respect is worth much more than the added income.  Even though some others may not agree with me I consider you intelligent and able bodied and of the leadersiship ability to advance to much higher and much more resposnible positions with a bit of more maturity. That perception to your employer is entirely in your own hands.  I must add that you are a lot of fun on the board which says a lot about your character.

I can tell by the comfort that you exhibit on the board at times suggests that you are exremely capable of advancement in your chosen career.  At many times your responses underneath mean more than a few jokes and fun directed in your directon and do somehow cover a hidden agenda but somehow I believe that you enjoy this. I would surmise that your are far more intelligent than you portend to be and that you are a showman in a cart pusher's body in disquise.  There is an old saying that you can't make stew without onions.  WIthout you the site would not be the stew that it has been intended to be.  I submit that you are the onion in the stew and that this site would be dimishised quite a bit without your presence. 

I just wanted to jot a few lines about my observations of you over time and I like what I see. 

Respestrully...

Written By: Howard on 11/07/10 at 7:00 am

Howard - I don't care that you "just" consider yourself only a cart pusher at Pathway and you have proclaimed this fact more than several times in posts on this tread that you are a person of great potential in my humble opinion. You do a very important service to your employer.  I have been to retail outlets and due to the lack of available carts, that are on hand has resulted in customers leaving that establishimet for another place, me included. 

I consider you  a very intersting element on this messagebaord. Your replies on threads suggests that you have imagination, albiet off kilter many times but showing potential nonetheless.  This tells me that you are not afraid to take risks with your replies and with a bit of tweaking can be most benificial to your life from this point forward.  This shows to me that you are capable of much more than whatever it is that is holding you back. 

I have been where you are now and after a lot of years of taking BS and doing what I have been told and doing it without making waves seems to have paid off.  I think that you operate much in the same way that I have.  I woke one day to see myself now, and what I see now is being more responsible and expected to do a lot less manual work, have more responsibility and respect and make a lot more money than I did back in the old days. The sense of resposibility and respect is worth much more than the added income.  Even though some others may not agree with me I consider you intelligent and able bodied and of the leadersiship ability to advance to much higher and much more resposnible positions with a bit of more maturity. That perception to your employer is entirely in your own hands.  I must add that you are a lot of fun on the board which says a lot about your character.

I can tell by the comfort that you exhibit on the board at times suggests that you are exremely capable of advancement in your chosen career.  At many times your responses underneath mean more than a few jokes and fun directed in your directon and do somehow cover a hidden agenda but somehow I believe that you enjoy this. I would surmise that your are far more intelligent than you portend to be and that you are a showman in a cart pusher's body in disquise.  There is an old saying that you can't make stew without onions.  WIthout you the site would not be the stew that it has been intended to be.  I submit that you are the onion in the stew and that this site would be dimishised quite a bit without your presence. 

I just wanted to jot a few lines about my observations of you over time and I like what I see. 

Respestrully...

I like what I read,you deserve some Karma.  :)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/07/10 at 12:09 pm

I like what I read,you deserve some Karma.  :)

I just said all that so you would give me karma...  J/K.  Thanks!

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/10 at 1:58 am

So far so good, I'm meeting some nice people at this place. A transformer went out tonight so half the place was out of power so instead of packing orders I was working in the "hospital" section which is like where the "mispicks" (mispicks are when incorrect items for a particular order end up in the "totes") go. I was using this big RF scanner and scanning various products and the scanner comes up with a code which you write down then you put the product in the correct bin based on the code. Very cool to see how the supply chain really works, and helping to make it happen.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/08/10 at 2:00 am

What company? (If you don't mind my asking.)

Exel.

Written By: seamermar on 11/08/10 at 7:18 pm

R :Karma to DoRitos.

When I read some  kinda posts you wrote I regain my trust in human being.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/08/10 at 7:59 pm

R :Karma to DoRitos.

When I read some  kinda posts you wrote I regain my trust in human being.

That is really nice to hear - Abundant thanks to you Seamermar.  And I have with the greatest of ease and pleasure clicked your karma button. 

Written By: DoRitos on 11/10/10 at 9:52 pm

I work for a major Department of Defence subdivision and spend my work days rearranging ones and zeros until something that was broken makes sense again.  My customer's have been known to say that "We do more by nine A.M. than the rest of the world does all day long" (One of their TV ads from about 10 to 12 years ago) The ones and zeros in my head translate that to mean that we break more things by nine A.M. than the rest of the world breaks all day long.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/10 at 10:03 pm

I work for a major Department of Defence subdivision and spend my work days rearranging ones and zeros until something that was broken makes sense again.  My customer's have been known to say that "We do more by nine A.M. than the rest of the world does all day long" (One of their TV ads from about 10 to 12 years ago) The ones and zeros in my head translate that to mean that we break more things by nine A.M. than the rest of the world breaks all day long.

;D

Written By: DoRitos on 11/12/10 at 9:25 am

I have been fortunate.  Since 1970 I have only been unemployed for 2 1/2 days and that was securing employment after I left the military.  Everytime I hear someone at work b*tching about their job, I have to remind them of the unemployment numbers and that they should be happy that they have employment.  It could be a lot worse for them.  No one ever argues with me when I make that point.  I remember that feeling of 2 1/2 days of uncertainty when I was job hunting.  I can't even begin to imagine how it feels to be unemployed right now with no idea if you will ever secure employment again. I started my job search six weeks before I got out. I even turned down some jobs after interviews I had because I knew the job would never work out.  I had an interview with a female entrepreneur who was running her own "Geek Squad" business, way before Best Buy came out with their Geek Squad. 

She wanted to hire me and I liked the idea of what the job offered, but then she asked me what I expected to be paid.  I told her and she said "but you are getting a military retirement check each month" meaning she could piggyback on that income to pay me less.  I asked her what she thought gave her the right to capitalize on something I, myself earned not to mention "the ready to do the job right now" with 20 plus years experience in which she gave up no capital for the training I received over the years in the military.  I could have at any time been ordered into a hostile situation where the odds of me surviving were really bad.

I then said if you are not willing to pay me what I am worth then it is your loss not mine.  I then got up, thanked her for her time and departed.  A few days after I secured my current job she called me and wanted to reconsider.  I said thanks, but no thanks.  I wonder if she ever tried that trick on an ex military person again?  She likely interviewed a whole bunch of flunkies after she interviewed me and that is why she was willing to reconsider.  I doubt that I would have ever taken that job on her rebound even if I was still out there looking.  She showed her hand to me and how could I work for someone I didn't trust and had no respect for? 

I secured my current job without ever having an interview.  I received a phone call and was asked if I wanted the job.  The offer was based solely on my application.  I thank the Good Lord each day that I am not a number in the unempoyment stats. 

If you are not one of the huge group of the unemployed right now, thank your higher power and be happy with what you have.  I really feel for all that want to work but have no job. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/10 at 10:22 am

Do me a favor.... say this part.... nothing else... just this part....

Everytime I hear someone at work b*tching about their job, I have to remind them of the unemployment numbers and that they should be happy that they have employment.  It could be a lot worse for them. 

your story about the pre-geek squad woman reminds me of a job interview I had.  I needed a part time job to supplement my income. I was looking for something flexible that wouldn't conflict with my dispatching.  I found one that was 10 hours a week $8 an hour... it was a few yrs ago.  Anyway, it was for this map company. Apparently they had years of invoices that had never been filed.  I spoke with the manager and we got along great and he said I want to hire you but I need you to interview with my office manager. 

So I go and speak to the office manager and it's going fine and then she looks at my app. I had put down my dispatching job and the hourly rate I was paid. At the time it was probably 16 an hour.   
She said "I can't pay you sixteen dollars an hour!" 
I said "I don't expect you to pay me 16 an hour. The ad said 8 dollars an hour and I'm fine with that." 
"But we can't afford 16 dollars an hour"
"I don't have an issue with that. This is a part time job and I just need it to supplement my current income."
"I just can't pay you what you make"
"I don't want you to pay me that, I just want to earn 8 dollars an hour.  I live in Santa Barbara and it's expensive here. I just need a job to help me make it thru the month. I will continue to work my full time job and do this on my days off.  As I understand from my conversation with Joe, the hours are flexible and there seems to be no conflict with my coming here two days a week and I really want to work here and I'd be happy to do it at the rate advertised in the paper... $8 dollars an hour."
"I'm sorry I just don't see how this can work because we can't afford to pay you what you make."
http://www.onelaughhaveit.co.uk/images/smilies/1892_mad_smiley_banging_head_against_a_brick_wall.gif

needless to say I didn't get the job.  ::)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/12/10 at 11:27 am

your story about the pre-geek squad woman reminds me of a job interview I had.  I needed a part time job to supplement my income. I was looking for something flexible that wouldn't conflict with my dispatching.  I found one that was 10 hours a week $8 an hour... it was a few yrs ago.  Anyway, it was for this map company. Apparently they had years of invoices that had never been filed.  I spoke with the manager and we got along great and he said I want to hire you but I need you to interview with my office manager. 

So I go and speak to the office manager and it's going fine and then she looks at my app. I had put down my dispatching job and the hourly rate I was paid. At the time it was probably 16 an hour.   
I said "I don't expect you to pay me 16 an hour. The ad said 8 dollars an hour and I'm fine with that." 
"I don't have an issue with that. This is a part time job and I just need it to supplement my current income."
"I don't want you to pay me that, I just want to earn 8 dollars an hour.  I live in Santa Barbara and it's expensive here. I just need a job to help me make it thru the month. I will continue to work my full time job and do this on my days off.  As I understand from my conversation with Joe, the hours are flexible and there seems to be no conflict with my coming here two days a week and I really want to work here and I'd be happy to do it at the rate advertised in the paper... $8 dollars an hour."
"I'm sorry I just don't see how this can work because we can't afford to pay you what you make."
http://www.onelaughhaveit.co.uk/images/smilies/1892_mad_smiley_banging_head_against_a_brick_wall.gif

Snoz, Was the guy autistic or what?  Did he have a hearing aid with low batteries?  You couldn't budge him off that focus on the 16 per hour.  Tell you what I would have done about the third time he failed to process the fact that you would work for 8 an hour.  I would have said, hey lets compromise, since you can't pay me that much can you supplement that with some fringe benifits?  Obviously he had some compulsion to haggle.  At that point there would be nothing to lose. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/10 at 11:54 am

Is that person related to Howard?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/10 at 12:04 pm

Cat

;D 

Snoz, Was the guy autistic or what?  Did he have a hearing aid with low batteries?  You couldn't budge him off that focus on the 16 per hour.  Tell you what I would have done about the third time he failed to process the fact that you would work for 8 an hour.  I would have said, hey lets compromise, since you can't pay me that much can you supplement that with some fringe benifits?  Obviously he had some compulsion to haggle.  At that point there would be nothing to lose. 

yeah it was pretty surreal I walked into her office thinking I had the job because the manager and I got along so well but this woman. Who obviously never met anyone who made $16 an hour apparently couldn't fathom that anyone else would have a hard time living on that.... most people who live in SB tho struggle because cost of living is so high....we have a large commuter workforce here but I have never been one to be willing to drive 50 miles just so I can pay less rent. 

Written By: DoRitos on 11/12/10 at 12:15 pm

;D 

yeah it was pretty surreal I walked into her office thinking I had the job because the manager and I got along so well but this woman. Who obviously never met anyone who made $16 an hour apparently couldn't fathom that anyone else would have a hard time living on that.... most people who live in SB tho struggle because cost of living is so high....we have a large commuter workforce here but I have never been one to be willing to drive 50 miles just so I can pay less rent. 

Snoz - sorry, my bad.  I assumed the person that interviewed you was a guy.  I glossed right over the fact that you had established the person doing the interview was a female.  I guess I did that because I know that women listen a lot better than men and this just had to be a man. See my point?  ::)  Please substitute all the gender refs in my comment from male to female.  :-[  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/10 at 12:17 pm

Snoz - sorry, my bad.  I assumed the person that interviewed you was a guy.  I glossed right over the fact that you had established the person doing the interview was a female.  I guess I did that because I know that women listen a lot better than men and this just had to be a man. See my point?  ::)  Please substitute all the gender refs in my comment from male to female.   :-[  :)

substitution was already made  ;)  and the fact that she was a woman is what makes it all the more shocking  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/12/10 at 2:02 pm

Cat

nobody's related to me.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/10 at 2:03 pm

nobody's related to me.

no one is related to you? what about your parents?

Written By: Howard on 11/12/10 at 2:04 pm

no one is related to you? what about your parents?

I meant Cat's story. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/10 at 2:24 pm

I meant Cat's story. ::)

Cat told a story? Oh man I missed it!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/12/10 at 2:44 pm

Cat told a story? Oh man I missed it!  ;)

::)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/12/10 at 4:28 pm

nobody's related to me.

Howard - You sure you didn't mean to say that nobody relates to you?    ::)  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/13/10 at 7:09 am

Howard - You sure you didn't mean to say that nobody relates to you?    ::)  :)

No.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/14/10 at 8:34 pm

If you are not one of the huge group of the unemployed right now, thank your higher power and be happy with what you have. 

PRABOB!

@Snozz: Condolences.  Were I in your shoes, I'd have been pounding the table along the lines of "I'm not asking you to pay me what my prior employer was paying me for whatever I was doing for them.  I'm asking you to pay me what YOU think I'm worth when I'm working YOU!" 

Then again, any organization that can't grasp that argument... isn't an organization for which I'd like to work.

Written By: nally on 12/23/15 at 3:08 pm

I don't presently have a paid job...but in the last one I had, which was earlier this year, I did bookkeeping tasks with Quickbooks and other application programs. I also had to process checks, do bill paying, and make sure the bank accounts were up to balance. Some of these tasks were quite challenging, and I often had to ask for assistance so that I'd know what to do...and because of this, I was only at this place (a law firm) for only a couple months.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/15 at 3:18 pm

I am a cart attendant at our new Stop N Shop which used to be Pathmark.

Written By: Ripley on 12/24/15 at 10:38 am

I work for a home construction store. I just work the register. But I want to actually work in a department.

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/15 at 1:22 pm

I work for a home construction store. I just work the register. But I want to actually work in a department.

which department? anyone in particular or do you just want off the cash registers?

Written By: Ripley on 12/24/15 at 4:35 pm

which department? anyone in particular or do you just want off the cash registers?

The garden area preferably

Written By: Howard on 12/25/15 at 7:35 am

The garden area preferably

like watering plants and flowers?

Written By: Ripley on 02/17/16 at 7:29 pm

like watering plants and flowers?

Yes that is exacly what I will be doing.  I got to start today. Though I'm not officially out there for a couple weeks.  But I will be watering most of the time.  I want to do more.  Like stocking and inventory, those are things I truly enjoy and miss about my old job. So I hope I get to do that soon.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/16 at 4:09 pm

Yes that is exacly what I will be doing.  I got to start today. Though I'm not officially out there for a couple weeks.  But I will be watering most of the time.  I want to do more.  Like stocking and inventory, those are things I truly enjoy and miss about my old job. So I hope I get to do that soon.

good luck. :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/18/16 at 6:18 pm

Thanks!

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 10:39 am

I take care of plants. There is more to the Garden department, such as lawn mowers and hoes, but my responsibility is to keep those plants alive. 

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 12:30 pm

Since the middle of January, I have been an "accounting clerk" at a company that operates in cooperation with a parent company that is based in another state. I process claim forms by entering them into Quickbooks as "accounts payable"; those which are based in-state are also processed into a MS Access database... and every two weeks we issue checks (through Quickbooks) to pay the entities whose claim forms we receive.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 4:23 pm

I bring up carts back and forth in the parking lot of Stop N Shop from 9-1 with a 15 minute break at 10:45am and one more at around noon time.

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 4:57 pm

I bring up carts back and forth in the parking lot of Stop N Shop from 9-1 with a 15 minute break at 10:45am and one more at around noon time.

I only get one break 15 minute break :(

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 6:07 pm

In my former full-time position, at the law firm, I was required to take one 10-minute break in the morning, and another 10-minute break in the afternoon. I was also required to take a one-hour break for lunch.

In my current position, I take at least one, but not more than two, 10 minute break(s). I also have half an hour for lunch.

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 6:55 pm

We get a lunch if we work more than 6 hrs.

6 hrs or less: One 15 minute break
6 1/2 hrs or more: One 15 minute break and lunch

Lunch can be an hr or a half hour. We set it up in the computer and get scheduled based on it. I choose to take a half hour.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/16 at 7:38 am

Why do they give you one?

Written By: snozberries on 03/12/16 at 11:24 am

I don't get breaks.... Well I get bathroom breaks but I can't "dawdle"
If there's another dispatcher in the room one of us might make a food run or take a fitness break but

If it's busy or I'm working alone absolutely no breaks (except to go to the bathroom) doesn't matter if I'm working 4 hrs or 20hrs. 

The longest I've ever worked was 21hrs

Written By: Ripley on 03/12/16 at 6:11 pm

Why do they give you one?

Good question. It's dumb. With 4 hours it's no big deal cause that's enough for me. But any more any there is a need. It should be every other hour.

Written By: Ripley on 03/12/16 at 6:13 pm

If there's another dispatcher in the room one of us might make a food run or take a fitness break but

If it's busy or I'm working alone absolutely no breaks (except to go to the bathroom) doesn't matter if I'm working 4 hrs or 20hrs. 

I'm sorry. But I can understand if it's just you cause somebody has to get those calls. Do you at least have a fridge and snacks?

Written By: Howard on 03/12/16 at 6:14 pm

But what if you have a stomach pain? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/12/16 at 6:15 pm

Good question. It's dumb. With 4 hours it's no big deal cause that's enough for me. But any more any there is a need. It should be every other hour.

I'm my own man so I can take 2 breaks, one at 1045am and one before noon, that's about it.

Written By: snozberries on 03/13/16 at 4:53 am

I'm sorry. But I can understand if it's just you cause somebody has to get those calls. Do you at least have a fridge and snacks?

yes I do... thankfully... and if I'm really hungry an officer will go get food for me or I can get it delivered.

But what if you have a stomach pain? ???

I have to wait until later....  the trick is to not eat foods that create that specific issue...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/16 at 9:16 am

I have to wait until later....  the trick is to not eat foods that create that specific issue...
...or liquids?

Written By: Howard on 03/13/16 at 3:32 pm

yes I do... thankfully... and if I'm really hungry an officer will go get food for me or I can get it delivered.

So you have to eat light foods?

Written By: Ripley on 03/13/16 at 4:37 pm

yes I do... thankfully... and if I'm really hungry an officer will go get food for me or I can get it delivered

That's good

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/14/16 at 12:51 pm

I work in the restaurant business as a busser, table setter, and food runner. It's physically demanding but I love it and my job is a second home to me! I love the people and ever since I got hired last year I've felt so blessed to have this job in my life. I've made several friends at work and I always have a good time when I'm there.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/16 at 3:50 pm

I work in the restaurant business as a busser, table setter, and food runner. It's physically demanding but I love it and my job is a second home to me! I love the people and ever since I got hired last year I've felt so blessed to have this job in my life. I've made several friends at work and I always have a good time when I'm there.

How much is the pay?

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/15/16 at 12:17 am

How much is the pay?

$8 an hour, plus revenue from food sales and tip-outs from the waiters. If I were to work for 8-9 hrs a day, 5 days a week, then I could get up $700+ in paychecks. I haven't had one that big in over half a year though. My paychecks these days are within the $300-400 range. There's also an added hourly bonus for people who work overtime, but I don't remember how much it is..

Written By: nally on 03/15/16 at 6:32 pm

$8 an hour, plus revenue from food sales and tip-outs from the waiters. If I were to work for 8-9 hrs a day, 5 days a week, then I could get up $700+ in paychecks. I haven't had one that big in over half a year though. My paychecks these days are within the $300-400 range. There's also an added hourly bonus for people who work overtime, but I don't remember how much it is..

Good for you! My paychecks are approximately that much as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...