inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My stupid glasses broke this morning

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/18/10 at 10:03 am

I was just sitting at my desk and noticed they were smudged, so I took 'em off and held them while I wiped the lens with my shirt.  As I wiped the lens the arm just snapped off with almost no effort whatsoever.  They're the rimless titanium style that bolt right to the lens.  I've had issues in the past with them coming loose from the lens, but this is much different  I thought they were supposed to be unbreakable.

Fortunately I went to the optometrist last week and should be getting new glasses this week (anytime from today onwards).  So in the meantime I'm stuck wearing my Rayban's at my desk until I get home tonight and dig out a backup set of frames.

Subject: Re: My stupid glasses broke this morning

Written By: Tam on 10/18/10 at 10:07 am

Poor Chucky!!!

I have heard of glasses doing that but not the style you are talking about! :o
Good thing you have new ones coming this week. I don't know what I would do if mine broke - although I don't wear them as much as I really should.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/10 at 10:21 am

Bummer. I got new glasses a few months ago (two pair-one for reading & one for watching t.v./distance). The lens on the watching t.v./distance ones kept coming out. Brand spankin' new!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(  After tightening the screw several times, I THINK I got it now. The lens hasn't fallen out in at least two weeks now.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/18/10 at 10:27 am

I have been lucky (knock on wood), I sleep in my glasses (I don't like waking up and not being able to see clearly) - the most issues I have had have been bending issues...

But when I buy glasses, I look for STYLE (I love glasses) and Functional (because I know I will end up sleeping in them, I lasted one month before I started sleeping in my current glasses- the most expensive, I have ever bought)

Written By: wildcard on 10/18/10 at 10:50 am

I've had a pair of glasses do that.  I buy cheap plastic frames

cheap sun glasses  do do do do do do do do  oh yeah

but only that one pair seemed to be made like crap.  The frame ended up cracking later. My other two plastic glasses, tint and no tint, are great.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/19/10 at 7:27 am

That stinks, especially since prescription glasses can be so expensive.

Luckily for me I only need reading glasses and not prescription, I can go to the Dollar Store and stock up.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/10 at 7:33 am

I have been lucky (knock on wood), I sleep in my glasses (I don't like waking up and not being able to see clearly) - the most issues I have had have been bending issues...

Ummmmm, aaaaahhhhhh...  I just don't know how this can be done

Written By: wildcard on 10/19/10 at 11:00 am

thought I'd say to that the glasses that work great for me have a spring thing that the screw is also screwed on to.  The ones that flew off didn't have anything else.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/22/10 at 9:01 pm

Have you ever woke up needing your glasses to find your glasses?  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/10 at 11:25 am

http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/dyn/str_strip/339792.full.gif

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/23/10 at 11:52 am

a couple times... sometimes I knock 'em off my nightstand in the middle of the night and can't find them no matter how hard I try.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/23/10 at 2:32 pm

Ummmmm, aaaaahhhhhh...   I just don't know how this can be done
What???  I lay down and I go to sleep with my glasses on.  I sleep on my side.  I prop my hand under my pillow so I am sleeping more on my arm with my cheek

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/23/10 at 2:33 pm

Which is why I sleep in mine... The worst is if I have to take out my contacts (usually do to emergency issue) and I don't look for my glasses first.  I am trying to find them blind :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/23/10 at 2:36 pm

a couple times... sometimes I knock 'em off my nightstand in the middle of the night and can't find them no matter how hard I try.
another reason for just sleeping in them

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/28/10 at 11:27 am

They just don't make glasses like they used to (god, I sound like my parents/grandparents :o)  Seriously, though....my last pair of glasses lasted about a month before the screws started coming out (and the idiot at the store put in the wrong size and stripped out the threads so now my earpiece is loose and wobbles and CAN'T be tightened), hubby's & the kiddo's were about the same.  The kiddo even has the kind that are supposed to be practically indestructible....within 2 weeks, he broke them.  I had to pitch a fit at the glasses place to get them to replace them because I didn't buy the "insurance". 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/10 at 11:46 am

They just don't make glasses like they used to (god, I sound like my parents/grandparents :o)  Seriously, though....my last pair of glasses lasted about a month before the screws started coming out (and the idiot at the store put in the wrong size and stripped out the threads so now my earpiece is loose and wobbles and CAN'T be tightened), hubby's & the kiddo's were about the same.  The kiddo even has the kind that are supposed to be practically indestructible....within 2 weeks, he broke them.  I had to pitch a fit at the glasses place to get them to replace them because I didn't buy the "insurance". 

Hey Stranger. Do I know you?

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 12/09/10 at 5:24 am

Chucky - Why do you wear "stupid" glasses?  Hope you have some smart ones by now.  The stupid ones always break but they are great for birth control.  :D

If you are like me, then you are pretty much handicapped without them.  I know the feeling.  I always have two backups.  One is prescription sun glasses and the other are an older weaker pair of regular glasses.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/10 at 8:02 am

Chucky - Why do you wear "stupid" glasses?  Hope you have some smart ones by now.  The stupid ones always break but they are great for birth control.   :D

If you are like me, then you are pretty much handicapped without them.  I know the feeling.  I always have two backups.  One is prescription sun glasses and the other are an older weaker pair of regular glasses.

turns out my backup glasses were missing a nose pad... I had to jam a temporary one in there. I did get my new pair after two weeks of the crappy ones, and got my backup ones fixed so I'm all prepared now incase of a problem in the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...