inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the longest you have ever gone without sleep?

Written By: Frank on 10/28/10 at 3:36 pm

What's the longest you have ever gone without sleep?
A remember a guy at out school, back in the 70s, who wanted to go without sleep for 100 hours. He didn't quite make it, but got close.

The longest period of time I have ever gone without sleep in 43 hours. I woke up at 5am one morning, took a flight to Hong Kong from Toronto. ( I can't sleep on planes), and then by the next's day's evening, I had gone 43 hours without sleep.

You start thinking of silly thing at that point, almost like you are drunk , I suppose. I'ts quite funny.

What's the longest you have ever gone without sleep?

Subject: Re: What's the longest you have ever gone without sleep?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/10 at 3:58 pm

For me about nine moths, the time before I was born.

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/10 at 5:35 pm

once when I was young and stupid... 19/20... I went 73 hours without sleep.  on that last day (at about hour 64)  I went cruising with friends, they were driving.... THANK GOD!!!  and I was so exhausted I popped several no-doze and drank two jolts... I was wired... and the crash that followed was not pretty... I think I slept for a good 20+ hours.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/28/10 at 6:14 pm

once when I was young and stupid... 19/20... I went 73 hours without sleep.  on that last day (at about hour 64)  I went cruising with friends, they were driving.... THANK GOD!!!  and I was so exhausted I popped several no-doze and drank two jolts... I was wired... and the crash that followed was not pretty... I think I slept for a good 20+ hours.

Haha, No-doze and Jolt.  Been there, done that.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/10 at 6:19 pm

I have no idea. I know longer than 24 hours. Maybe closer to 48. Not sure.

I was awake for over 24 hours this past March when Carlos ended up in the E.R.  :\'( :\'(  That was a weekend I would like to forget.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/28/10 at 6:53 pm

I've had several stints of 30+ hours without sleep.

When I was young (in the 70's) ..it was all the rage to have wake-a-thons. Our church youth group had one (to raise funds for a charity) and we were awake about 40 hrs.  I remember falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. Luckily there was quite a bit of room on my side of the road and I was awakened to the bumpy ride (as I was not actually on the road at that time).  :o  I was very lucky not to have met my demise at that time. Of course, being 19, I learned nothing and continued my drive home!  :o

I also worked through the night on a few occasions ... and through the next day as well. BTW...not very productive after about 11.0 am the following day.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/10 at 7:43 pm

Maybe a day or so,that's about it,I need my sleep.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/28/10 at 9:45 pm

124 hours (yes, 5 days, 4 hours). Trust me, it sucked. After about 4 days, I started hallucinating, talking to people that werent there and sh*t like that. Stress induced, no drugs involved. No naps.

Many times over the past two months 48hrs+, last was two weeks ago driving home from LA, stayed up from Sat morning at 6am until Monday morning until 10am. I *really* dont recommend over 30 hours, your mental state rapidly goes to sh*t after 24.

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/10 at 9:51 pm

124 hours (yes, 5 days, 4 hours). Trust me, it sucked. After about 4 days, I started hallucinating, talking to people that werent there and sh*t like that. Stress induced, no drugs involved. No naps.

Many times over the past two months 48hrs+, last was two weeks ago driving home from LA, stayed up from Sat morning at 6am until Monday morning until 10am. I *really* dont recommend over 30 hours, your mental state rapidly goes to sh*t after 24.

Ant

you're right it's way bad for your psyche...

you totally reminded me of that week I spent in maryland training...

I went with a group of people I worked with for a week's worth of training in Maryland. The year before we were in DC and they got us us hotel rooms with two bedrooms suites so we each had our own room... the second year it was at this Mennonite college. the place was a dump. Disgusting bathrooms, holes in walls... and the rooms had 2 bunk beds in them... we were stacked 4 to a room.

One of my (many) issues is that I absolutely cannot sleep if there is another person in the room... I dragged my mattress into the hall and listened to music on my portable CD player and read all night,.....every night for 6 days.... then we were in training all day...
on Saturday we went to DC. and went sight seeing that night we finally got real hotel rooms... it was a two bedroom suite... there were three of us.... the girls knew I was exhausted and agreed to share a room so I could finally sleep.  

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/30/10 at 11:07 pm

Impressive!

I can still do 24-36 without batting an eye (Fallout: New Vegas + work night = well, I'm tired, but it's only 4 in the morning, I might as well have a few more cans of soda, wrap around, and drag my butt in to work...), haven't tried to do 48-56 in years.  After that, I'll take a week off and get Civ V, so I've got a shot at doing 48 again...), but my personal record was barely 72 hours, and the hallucinations started kicking in around the late-60s.

Sadly, old-school Jolt Cola's getting harder to find, and Brawndo's no longer available, so I've gotta find a new caffeine source.  Yeah, I know Bawlz is good stuff, and it's traditional, but I want something weirder than that.

Written By: nally on 10/30/10 at 11:13 pm

I've never been awake for 24 straight hours. But I have been awake during the entire "graveyard shift" once (namely on the morning of May 22, 1998; the occasion of my "Grad Nite" festivities, even though my actual graduation was one month later).

I think the longest period I ever stayed awake was 20 hours, 5am to 1am. But I don't remember what day or what year that was...altho I think it might've been sometime in 2001.

Written By: Midas on 11/07/10 at 5:29 pm

Staying awake for 32-36 hours at a time usually happens for me about once every 6-8 weeks.

Written By: Frank on 11/07/10 at 11:47 pm

Staying awake for 32-36 hours at a time usually happens for me about once every 6-8 weeks.

Wow, that's quite often. How do you do it?

Written By: Howard on 11/08/10 at 7:07 am

Do you get coffee time? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...