inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Binary Date Day!

Written By: DoRitos on 11/01/10 at 7:49 pm

Binary date day refers to the date in numeric form when the date is all ones and zeros.  Today is 2010-11-01.  If the first two digits of the year is dropped one can get a date like 11-01-10.  Binary date days only occur 36 times per century.  The years that they occur are years that end in 00, 01, 10 and 11.  The months they occur in are January, October and November.  There are nine per binary year and there are four binary years per century so 9 * 4 = 36.  Since the 21st century started on Jan 01, 2001 we have seen counting today for this century, 16 binary date days.  The next binary date day will be the 10th of this month followed by the 11th.  Next year will end in the number 11 so there will be 9 more which will make 11-11-11 the 27TH binary date day this century.  The next binary date day after 11-11-11 will not occur until Jan 01 2100 and the 36TH binary date day for the 21 ST century will occur in 2100 on the 11 of November.

HAPPY BINARY DATE DAY!

Subject: Re: Happy Binary Date Day!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/01/10 at 8:26 pm

Binary date day refers to the date in numeric form when the date is all ones and zeros.  Today is 2010-11-01.  If the first two digits of the year is dropped one can get a date like 11-01-10.  Binary date days only occur 36 times per century.  The years that they occur are years that end in 00, 01, 10 and 11.  The months they occur in are january, October and November.  There are nine per binary year and there are four binary years per century so 9 * 4 = 36.  Since the 21st century started on Jan 01, 2001 we have seen counting today for this century, 16 binary date days.  The next binary date day will be the 10th of this month followed by the 11th.  Next year will end in the number 11 so there will be 9 more which will make 11-11-11 the 27TH binary date day this century.  The next binary date day after 11-11-11 will not occur until Jan 01 2100 and the 36TH binary date day for the 21 ST century will occur in 2100 on the 11 of November.

HAPPY BINARY DATE DAY!

wow you lost me... but if you say so O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/10 at 2:21 am

How about the 10th of October last month, which read as (if the first two digits of the year are dropped) 10-10-10?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/02/10 at 3:53 am

How about the 10th of October last month, which read as (if the first two digits of the year are dropped) 10-10-10?

I speak binary too.  Yeah that date would work too.  :)

Gosh I sometimes miss coding in BASIC and COBOL.  I've not done either in 23 years (since I graduated high school.)  I'm not even sure my brain would remember how anymore.  :-\\

I really ought to create a flowchart for my life, I might actually get something finished for a change.  (The flowchart, I'd finish anyway, and come to think of it, I'll eventually finish my life too.  lol  Old programmers never die, we just just lose our memory. Old programmers never die. They just byte it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/10 at 11:09 am

I didn't realize that it was a binary day. There was another one that I mentioned a while ago but I can't remember what date it was.

BTW DoRitos, haven't seen you in these parts for a while. Welcome back and I hope you stick around.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 11/02/10 at 6:02 pm

wow you lost me... but if you say so

2kidsami - Sorry if I lost you on this.  Perhaps if it were done in parody it would be easiier to understand.  I just happen to have a parody on this subject.  Click the link to see the parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles644.shtml

Written By: DoRitos on 11/02/10 at 6:17 pm

I didn't realize that it was a binary day. There was another one that I mentioned a while ago but I can't remember what date it was.

BTW DoRitos, haven't seen you in these parts for a while. Welcome back and I hope you stick around.

Cat

Cat - Yes I have been absent of late from this playful place.  I have been on a home improvement project which is still ongoing but most of it is done, I think...  Last night around 1130 we got a "knock your teeth out" hail storm so I probably have a roof to do in the very near future.  I'm planning on writing more parodies soon as well.  So I'll drop by from time to time as time permits.  Nice to see that my absence has been noted - Thanks!  I trust all is well with you and yours?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/10 at 4:21 am

So the next binary day will be the November 11th of this year?

Written By: Howard on 11/07/10 at 6:54 am

So the next binary day will be the November 11th of this year?

11 11 10?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/10 at 6:55 am

11 11 10?
...and the tenth of November

Written By: Howard on 11/07/10 at 6:56 am

...and the tenth of November

11 10 10

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/10 at 6:59 am

11 10 10
It should be 10 11 2010

Written By: DoRitos on 11/07/10 at 10:09 am

It should be 10 11 2010

Date formats for the U.S. military are standard as such: 10 Nov 2010.  It is always the day first and the month in non numeric fashion with the year being either all four digits or the last two.  The military clock is also standarized.  There is no AM or PM in military time.  0500 hours refers to 5:00A.M. - 5:00P.M. is expressed in military time as 1700 hours.  I remember when I entered the military that we were told that we would be up each day at 0500 - someone asked if that meant that we would sleep all day until 5:00P.M. When the 24 hour clock was explained that person that asked that question said, "Do you mean there are two of them"?   ::)   He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, obviously.    ;)

I believe that most of Europe uses standard date expressed using first the day of the month, then the month and finally the year.  I seem to remember this when I was in Germany.  I know for a fact that Japan uses the 24 hour clock and officially does not use A.M. and P.M.

When Phillip wrote "It should be 10 11 2010" he is referring to the 10th of November which will be the next binary date day which will be this Wednesday, 10 Nov 10.  The U.S. military uses that precise date format of DD MMM YY and the 24 hour clock so no one ever should get the time and date wrong which could really prove to be be disasterous in a military operation.  

So with that remember that Wednesday and Thursday coming up are both binary date days.  May they be happy and memorable for you all!  The 11TH of November is observed as Veteran's Day in the U.S. and is an official federal holiday.  The date marks the end of World War I.  World War I. ended in a binary fashion except for the year which was 1918.  The war officially ended on the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11th month.  

U.S. President Woodrow Wilson delcared an Armistice day in 1919 to honor those who fought and died in World War I.  Years later in Emporia, Kansas one shoe store owner wanted to include all veterans recognition and began a movement to rename the observance as Veterans Day.  See WIKI link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day

Recently the U.K. has begun some formalities honoring veterans with what is being called "Armed Forces Day"  See WIKI link for more info on what the U.K. does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Day_(United_Kingdom)

Please thank a veteran on the 11TH, this Thursday coming up for their service.   ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/10 at 11:41 am

Date formats for the U.S. military are standard as such: 10 Nov 2010.  It is always the day first and the month in non numeric fashion with the year being either all four digits or the last two.  The military clock is also standarized.  There is no AM or PM in military time.  0500 hours refers to 5:00A.M. - 5:00P.M. is expressed in military time as 1700 hours.  I remember when I entered the military that we were told that we would be up each day at 0500 - someone asked if that meant that we would sleep all day until 5:00P.M. When the 24 hour clock was explained that person that asked that question said, "Do you mean there are two of them"?   ::)   He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, obviously.    ;)

I believe that most of Europe uses standard date expressed using first the day of the month, then the month and finally the year.  I seem to remember this when I was in Germany.  I know for a fact that Japan uses the 24 hour clock and officially does not use A.M. and P.M.

When Phillip wrote "It should be 10 11 2010" he is referring to the 10th of November which will be the next binary date day which will be this Wednesday, 10 Nov 10.  The U.S. military uses that precise date format of DD MMM YY and the 24 hour clock so no one ever should get the time and date wrong which could really prove to be be disasterous in a military operation.  

So with that remember that Wednesday and Thursday coming up are both binary date days.  May they be happy and memorable for you all!  The 11TH of November is observed as Veteran's Day in the U.S. and is an official federal holiday.  The date marks the end of World War I.  World War I. ended in a binary fashion except for the year which was 1918.  The war officially ended on the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11th month.  

U.S. President Woodrow Wilson delcared an Armistice day in 1919 to honor those who fought and died in World War I.  Years later in Emporia, Kansas one shoe store owner wanted to include all veterans recognition and began a movement to rename the observance as Veterans Day.  See WIKI link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day

Recently the U.K. has begun some formalities honoring veterans with what is being called "Armed Forces Day"  See WIKI link for more info on what the U.K. does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Day_(United_Kingdom)

Please thank a veteran on the 11TH, this Thursday coming up for their service.   ;)

I STILL write the date as the military: Today being 7 Nov 2010. There is absolutely no confusion. Because if you write it 7/11/10 or 11/7/10 is it the 7th of Nov or the 11th of July? But, I do use a.m. & p.m.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 11/07/10 at 11:57 am

I STILL write the date as the military: Today being 7 Nov 2010. There is absolutely no confusion. Because if you write it 7/11/10 or 11/7/10 is it the 7th of Nov or the 11th of July? But, I do use a.m. & p.m.

Cat

Thanks Cat, my point exactly.  :)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 7:25 pm

Happy double binary date day.  Part of the world is already in a BDD and the rest of us will catch up in a few hours.  Ah! it is pure geek heaven to have 48 hours straight of binary date! 

Written By: Howard on 11/10/10 at 7:03 am

Happy double binary date day.  Part of the world is already in a BDD and the rest of us will catch up in a few hours.  Ah! it is pure geek heaven to have 48 hours straight of binary date! 

11 10 10

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/10 at 12:29 pm

11 10 10
10 11 10 over here!

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 12:28 am

Well it is now the second half of a BDD double header where I am now - 11-11-10.  The pure geekness of the double header BDD is simply awesome. I may have trouble getting to sleep tonight.  Oh well the sheep are all asleep so I guess I'll just count ones and zeros 'til I nod off.  ::)

Written By: Frank on 11/11/10 at 12:36 am

Well it is now the second half of a BDD double header where I am now - 11-11-10.  The pure geekness of the double header BDD is simply awesome. I may have trouble getting to sleep tonight.  Oh well the sheep are all asleep so I guess I'll just count ones and zeros 'til I nod off.  ::)

So tomorrow will be 12-11-10...countdown day?  :D

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 2:09 am

Hey that works for me.  Nice observation.  Countdown day - I like that.  Wonder how many countdowns there are in a century.  Can't be too many since we only have 12 months.  If I wasn't getting tired I'd figure it out.  Maybe tomorrow.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 5:57 am

And it'll be on a Sunday.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 8:40 am

Hey that works for me.  Nice observation.  Countdown day - I like that.  Wonder how many countdowns there are in a century.  Can't be too many since we only have 12 months.  If I wasn't getting tired I'd figure it out.  Maybe tomorrow.

Now that I got some rest and my mind has cleared some, I guess the number of countdown days would depend on how you express the date.  The date can be expressed as YY-MM-DD, DD-MM-YY, MM-DD-YY and other assorted bizarre combinations.  I still like your observation however, Frank.  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 8:48 pm

We are exactly one week away from the next binary date day.  Don't wait until the last minute to plan your festivities.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/10 at 2:04 am

We are exactly one week away from the next binary date day.  Don't wait until the last minute to plan your festivities.

...and that will be 01/01/11 or 01/01/11 wherever you are.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 7:03 am

I won't.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/26/10 at 7:14 am

...and that will be 01/01/11 or 01/01/11 wherever you are.

Phillip - the 10-10-10 date as well as the 1-1-1, 2-2-2, 3-3-3 dates etc. are even rarer than BDDs.  There are only 12 of these in a century.  Three of them happen to also be BDDs days.  01-01-01, 10-10-10 and coming up later next year will be 11-11-11.  Since there are only 12 months in the year only 12 are possible per century.  Thanks for your reply, friend.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/26/10 at 7:20 am

I won't.

Wise choice Howard - Hotels. travel reservations and the like will be at a premium.  Get started early and beat the crowd. Have yourself a wonderful celebraton.  There are a total of three in January and we have a double BDD on Jan 10 and Jan 11. 48 hours of pure binary celebration.  I'm all set up for the double BDD.  Huge plans!

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 7:26 am

Wise choice Howard - Hotels. travel reservations and the like will be at a premium.  Get started early and beat the crowd. Have yourself a wonderful celebraton.  There are a total of three in January and we have a double BDD on Jan 10 and Jan 11. 48 hours of pure binary celebration.  I'm all set up for the double BDD.  Huge plans!

Thanks,have a good one.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/10 at 2:38 pm

I will not be celebrating BDD, for it is not a true BDD date for the correct is 01/01/2011

Written By: DoRitos on 12/26/10 at 4:01 pm

I will not be celebrating BDD, for it is not a true BDD date for the correct is 01/01/2011

:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/11 at 6:51 am

Yesterday was a binary day. 1/11/11 (or 11/1/11) and no one mentioned it. Yesterday would have been my BIL's birthday, too.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/11 at 12:37 pm

Yesterday was a binary day. 1/11/11 (or 11/1/11) and no one mentioned it. Yesterday would have been my BIL's birthday, too.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

As the true date was 11/01/2011, I made not mention of it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/16/11 at 1:29 am

My neighbor had her baby on 1/11/11 at 1:00 p.m.  I wonder if that makes her a binary baby?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 7:31 am

My neighbor had her baby on 1/11/11 at 1:00 p.m.  I wonder if that makes her a binary baby?   ;D

Wow,What a coinicidence is that?  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...