inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What the fudge?

Written By: DoRitos on 11/08/10 at 9:07 pm

Have you ever "fudged" anyone on this board?  If you have please tell us what pushed your button to make you push the fudge button.  I have never used the fudge feature but my stats show that I've been hit twice by it.  I have no idea who fudged me or why they did.    I have never caught it in the stats log.  It is so like voting three ones on a parody on amiright and never leaving a comment. I don't believe that I would ever use it.  I can get loaded for bear in a battle of wits so I see no need for it.  Tell us what would get you so fudged up?

Subject: Re: What the fudge?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/10 at 10:31 pm

Have you ever "fudged" anyone on this board?

A couple of years ago, there were (unofficial) rules for it.

The idea behind the rules (and they're not - nor were they ever supposed to be - enforced) went something like this:

1) We have a karma button for when we see something we like.
2) We have a smite button for when someone crosses someone's personal line.
3) To avoid drama, you just whack the smite button and move on, same as you do with the karma button.  There's no need to tell anyone which post you liked/hated.
4) If you actually wanted to know why you got smote, you could sign up for the smite club, where the rules were that you can only explain why to someone else who has agreed to participate, and only ask why in that one forum.  No drama, just a place where you can go and see why you got smote, or tell another participant which specific post earned the smite.

I've used the button maybe once or twice in the years I've been here, but only for really egregious violations of normalcy, such as dissing bacon in a public forum.  (But dude, your choice of font has tempted me on more than one occasion.  Tempting me right now, in fact, but by explaining my frustration with your font choice, I've precluded myself from smiting you for it :)

I've earned it a few times, too.  My favorite was when I posted a demotivational poster featuring a Pulitzer-prize-winning photograph.  The picture wasn't actually banworthy.  It was so good that the photographer not only won the Pulitzer, he even responded to the award by committing suicide shortly after getting the award.  So, umm, what better to do than to post my favorite demotivational poster, entitled "Patience: Good things come to those who wait."  I'm looking at that poster right now, and still giggling.  By Glub, I earned that smite!)

The point of both karma and fudge is that you don't catch it in the stats log unless you're completely OCD about it.  You're still adding more funny to the place than your font's taking away, so don't worry about the occasional smiting every few months.  It happens.  Or sign up for the SmiteFudge Club, and if anyone's still reading that thread (I haven't been for at least a year), they might post there.

Written By: gibbo on 11/09/10 at 12:16 am

I've never used it. But I seem to have 30+ fudges against my name. Not fair really...I KNOW I've earned more than that... ;) 8)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 4:21 am

A couple of years ago, there were (unofficial) rules for it.

The idea behind the rules (and they're not - nor were they ever supposed to be - enforced) went something like this:

1) We have a karma button for when we see something we like.
2) We have a smite button for when someone crosses someone's personal line.
3) To avoid drama, you just whack the smite button and move on, same as you do with the karma button.  There's no need to tell anyone which post you liked/hated.
4) If you actually wanted to know why you got smote, you could sign up for the smite club, where the rules were that you can only explain why to someone else who has agreed to participate, and only ask why in that one forum.  No drama, just a place where you can go and see why you got smote, or tell another participant which specific post earned the smite.

I've used the button maybe once or twice in the years I've been here, but only for really egregious violations of normalcy, such as dissing bacon in a public forum.  (But dude, your choice of font has tempted me on more than one occasion.  Tempting me right now, in fact, but by explaining my frustration with your font choice, I've precluded myself from smiting you for it :)

I've earned it a few times, too.  My favorite was when I posted a demotivational poster featuring a Pulitzer-prize-winning photograph.  The picture wasn't actually banworthy.  It was so good that the photographer not only won the Pulitzer, he even responded to the award by committing suicide shortly after getting the award.  So, umm, what better to do than to post my favorite demotivational poster, entitled "Patience: Good things come to those who wait."  I'm looking at that poster right now, and still giggling.  By Glub, I earned that smite!)

The point of both karma and fudge is that you don't catch it in the stats log unless you're completely OCD about it.  You're still adding more funny to the place than your font's taking away, so don't worry about the occasional smiting every few months.  It happens.  Or sign up for the SmiteFudge Club, and if anyone's still reading that thread (I haven't been for at least a year), they might post there.

Foo Bar - Thanks for explaning this for me.  When I said that I can get loaded for bear in a battle of wits I didn't mean that I would flame or resort to drama queen behavior  It simply means that I can mostly get my irritated point across using sarcasm and humor in a way that gets the point across but still retains the humor without inciting a public forum feud.  

There is a good explanation for the font that I use.  My eyesight serves me less than adequately and it helps me to find typos, misspelling, etc when in preview mode that I very often miss in normal font size.  I'm sorry that it irritates you.  I could really see your point if I used RED and that should be fudged, but I use the more soothing cool color of blue.  I had no idea that the font size was irritating to some.  Just try to see it as a sort of signature of mine.  

It is not that getting fudged bothers me.  I get the "ones guy" like everyone else when I write parody on amiright.  It doesn't bother me there either - it only means especially in a political parody that I got my point through to an opposer who can only respond by voting all ones.  It means that I drove my point home and did something right or at least the message came across as I intended.  Something, I believe is a lot harder when writing parody.  I thank you for your candor about wanting to fudge me.  It beats getting fudged without ever even getting a phone number.  ;)  So what the fudge, I live and learn and thanks!  Your time to explain this to me took time and I appreciate that.  I karma you for this, friend.

Written By: karen on 11/09/10 at 7:56 am

Of course occasionally the smite button is used as a form of love because we're weird like that!  One or two members here like to 'smite bomb' the regulars and you may have got caught in one of those.

As Foo says you can only really find out by checking the karmalog regularly and then PMing the person who smites you.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 8:54 am

Of course occasionally the smite button is used as a form of love because we're weird like that!  One or two members here like to 'smite bomb' the regulars and you may have got caught in one of those.

As Foo says you can only really find out by checking the karmalog regularly and then PMing the person who smites you.

I see, so it's kind of like "I smite thee Sir Fudge"?  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/10 at 10:10 am

when the fudge button came to light Jessica thought it would be fun to fudge everyone.... then a few months later she was having a bad and fudged everyone again  ;D 

I tend to fudge people who make genuinely insincere and hateful statements .... Saver and Doc Brown.  Whom I also strongly disagree with politically.

I have fudged on a couple of occasions, people I was involved in a disagreement with and I only fudged them when they mad me so mad I couldn't help myself.

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/10 at 10:12 am

if that's the pic I think it was I thought it was utterly tasteless and inhumane. I didn't fudge you for it at the time but if you do post it again I will be sure to fudge you for it this time around  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/10 at 11:19 am

I have only fudged one person-and that honor went to Howard. I can't remember what it was he said but I did tell then that I did fudged him. He apologized for it-like he always does. It does take a lot for me to fudge someone.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 12:27 pm

I have only fudged one person-and that honor went to Howard. I can't remember what it was he said but I did tell then that I did fudged him. He apologized for it-like he always does. It does take a lot for me to fudge someone.

Cat

Cat - I see your point, some folks can fudge up a one man rock fight or a soup sandwich.  Thems would be the fudgees.

Written By: gibbo on 11/09/10 at 4:56 pm

Foo Bar - Thanks for explaning this for me.  When I said that I can get loaded for bear in a battle of wits I didn't mean that I would flame or resort to drama queen behavior  It simply means that I can mostly get my irritated point across using sarcasm and humor in a way that gets the point across but still retains the humor without inciting a public forum feud.  

There is a good explanation for the font that I use.  My eyesight serves me less than adequately and it helps me to find typos, misspelling, etc when in preview mode that I very often miss in normal font size.  I'm sorry that it irritates you.  I could really see your point if I used RED and that should be fudged, but I use the more soothing cool color of blue.  I had no idea that the font size was irritating to some.  Just try to see it as a sort of signature of mine.  

It is not that getting fudged bothers me.  I get the "ones guy" like everyone else when I write parody on amiright.  It doesn't bother me there either - it only means especially in a political parody that I got my point through to an opposer who can only respond by voting all ones.  It means that I drove my point home and did something right or at least the message came across as I intended.  Something, I believe is a lot harder when writing parody.  I thank you for your candor about wanting to fudge me.  It beats getting fudged without ever even getting a phone number.  ;)  So what the fudge, I live and learn and thanks!  Your time to explain this to me took time and I appreciate that.  I karma you for this, friend.

Your font size is fine to me. I immediately assumed that it had something to do with vision impairment (I could use a larger font myself these days)... and you're right...it has become a knind of signature for your posts!  :)

Written By: gibbo on 11/09/10 at 4:58 pm

Cat

I could have sworn I would have pushed you too far!  I have to be more diligent...try harder...strive for imperfection!  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/10 at 5:04 pm

I could have sworn I would have pushed you too far!  I have to be more diligent...try harder...strive for imperfection!  ;)

Nope, you haven't pushed me too far-yet.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 11/09/10 at 5:06 pm

Nope, you haven't pushed me too far-yet.

Cat

What does a person have to do?  STELLLAAA!!!!!

Written By: Frank on 11/09/10 at 5:13 pm

What does a person have to do?   STELLLAAA!!!!!

Well, if you want to be fudged, thre's lots of things you can do.
If Cat has only fudged Howard, start acting like Howard, start discussing topics around a certain subject that Howard seems very interested in...stop reading posts ( including this one) and ask Cat Questions like "So, I see your new computer is working well". That will get you on the way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/10 at 5:21 pm

What does a person have to do?   STELLLAAA!!!!!

Are you a masochist?

Cat

Written By: Frank on 11/09/10 at 5:23 pm

Are you a masochist?

Cat

Oooh, if he becomes one, will you fudge him, coz I will karma him if he becomes one.. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/10 at 5:58 pm

Oooh, if he becomes one, will you fudge him, coz I will karma him if he becomes one.. :D

The thing is, I'm not a sadist-so it is really hard for me to fudge anyone without a REALLY GOOD reason.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 11/09/10 at 6:44 pm

The first day the fudge button was out, I hit a bunch of people and a lot were amirighters.  I did it for for some kind of strange fun.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/10 at 6:55 pm

Cat

It's ok,no big deal.

Written By: gibbo on 11/09/10 at 7:15 pm

The thing is, I'm not a sadist-so it is really hard for me to fudge anyone without a REALLY GOOD reason.

Cat

Okay....I'll be a sado-masochist...and have a bet each way!  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 7:21 pm

Wow - I didn't know this thread would get so fudged up when I started it.  This is getting to be most amusing.  And when Cat said the word "yet" in her post let it be known that Y.E.T. most likely means that "You're Eligible Too".  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/10 at 9:52 pm

Well, if you want to be fudged, thre's lots of things you can do.
If Cat has only fudged Howard, start acting like Howard, start discussing topics around a certain subject that Howard seems very interested in...stop reading posts ( including this one) and ask Cat Questions like "So, I see your new computer is working well". That will get you on the way.

;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/10/10 at 7:02 am

I don't think I have hit the smite/fudge button, except for maybe the first day's that we had it.  I forget it's there really, and never think about it.  If I am unhappy with someone, they normally know it.  I have several smites/fudges and I am not to concerned with them.  So I made someone unhappy, I am not the most tactful person sometimes (especially when unhappy).  I also have been hit by the Jessica Smite throw down...  They are just there and that is what they are

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/10 at 11:20 am

It's ok,no big deal.

And for that, you just earned another karma.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/10 at 1:42 pm

I got alot of fudges from those decadeologists who didn't like me posting wise ass remarks in their topics.

I'm quite surprised I don't have more.  Ruining a decadeology topic is all kinds of fun

Written By: Howard on 11/10/10 at 1:56 pm

And for that, you just earned another karma.

Cat

Thanks,another karma for you.  :)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/10/10 at 2:47 pm

Speaking or writing about fudge - I remember this from childhood - it went "milk, milk, lemon aid, round the corner where fudge is made".  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/10 at 2:48 pm

Speaking or writing about fudge - I remember this from childhood - it went "milk, milk, lemon aid, round the corner where fudge is made".   8-P

they say that in an ep of Will & Grace  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/10 at 2:48 pm

Thanks,another karma for you.  :)

wow howard! can I have some too?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/10/10 at 7:06 pm

I don't think I have hit the smite/fudge button, except for maybe the first day's that we had it.  I forget it's there really, and never think about it.  If I am unhappy with someone, they normally know it.  I have several smites/fudges and I am not to concerned with them.  So I made someone unhappy, I am not the most tactful person sometimes (especially when unhappy).  I also have been hit by the Jessica Smite throw down...  They are just there and that is what they are

I'm with you.  Most of mine are from the smite bombings.  I think it was more than Jess that did them.

I don't worry about the others.  I don't do anything to intentionally anger people and the mods haven't said anything to me so I figure it is not my problem to worry about.  If someone has a real problem with me I would hope they could come to me so we could sort it out.

Written By: Jessica on 11/10/10 at 7:27 pm

Awww, I'm so proud everyone remembers me for smite bombs. ;D

I should do that again, but I'm completely lazy.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/10/10 at 11:12 pm

Can you hit some - that haven't had seen your "love" before... Ya know, spread the wealth  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/10 at 11:25 pm

If you change your mind can ya skip me? I'm like 82 karmas away from taking first place on the karma log!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 5:59 am

Speaking or writing about fudge - I remember this from childhood - it went "milk, milk, lemon aid, round the corner where fudge is made".   8-P

Oh that was a silly song. ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 6:00 am

wow howard! can I have some too?

sure why not?  ::)

Written By: karen on 11/11/10 at 7:53 am

Damn you!  It took me weeks to get this out of my head (it was a memory aid for my shopping list a while back) and now it's back    >:(

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 8:06 am

Damn you!  It took me weeks to get this out of my head (it was a memory aid for my shopping list a while back) and now it's back    >:(

Well then look on the upside.  If you need these items again in the near future, you won't need to write that list.  ;)  You make laugh - I give karma.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/10 at 12:07 pm

I'm with you.  Most of mine are from the smite bombings.  I think it was more than Jess that did them.

I don't worry about the others.  I don't do anything to intentionally anger people and the mods haven't said anything to me so I figure it is not my problem to worry about.  If someone has a real problem with me I would hope they could come to me so we could sort it out.

I try not to p!ss people off, too but sometimes there are some things that just HAVE to be said and if that p!sses people off, I can't help that.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 2:57 pm

The Fed is the best at fudge.  They fudge numbers all the time.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/10 at 6:02 pm

I try not to p!ss people off, too but sometimes there are some things that just HAVE to be said and if that p!sses people off, I can't help that.

Cat

Exactly. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 7:17 pm

milk,lemonade and fudge? ???

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 9:08 pm

Yeah, how else would one make a sour fudge milk shake?

Written By: Howard on 11/12/10 at 7:04 am

Yeah, how else would one make a sour fudge milk shake?

there's no other way.

Written By: karen on 11/14/10 at 1:53 pm

Actually it was (semi-skimmed) milk, (UHT) milk, (Sprite) lemonade and chocolate (which is the version I know)

Written By: Bobby on 09/18/11 at 12:15 pm

I thought I would be clever when I was a kid by mixing lemonade, milk and orange juice together to make a 'shake'. Never again...

I have never 'fudged' anybody and unlikely to in the future. I let my posts do the talking.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...