inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Veterans day!

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 1:06 am

Happy veterans day to all my fellow vets.  Applebees is giving a free meal to any vet today, so if you are a vet and it's getting hungry where you are, motor over and start eatin' good in the neighboorhood.  I don't have the details on what they want to see for proof so if you plan to take them up on their offer maybe call ahead and get the details.  I have a retired military ID so that is all I would need if I decide to get some chow on the good folks at Applebees. 

And to all the US Marines, happy belated birthday.  The Corp was established on Nov 10, 1775.  That would make the Corp 235 years old now.  Man you guys are old!  The USAF turned 63 on Sep 3.  The USAF was established by Harry Truman's National Security Act of 1947. My branch is just a kid compared to the other service branches.  The USAF was only a few years older than me when I joined up to avoid the draft. Actually I joined because I wanted it to be my choice and not being forced in by Uncle Sam. 

I was in Japan when the USAF turned 30.  Someone wrote happy 30th birthday USAF on our status board.  As a joke I wrote under it - hey don't trust anyone over 30.  I haven't heard anyone say that in a very long time.  I don't think our chief was too amused by it.   

If you know a vet, then please thank them for their service today.  You'll make their day for sure.    ;)

Subject: Re: Happy Veterans day!

Written By: Frank on 11/11/10 at 1:09 am

Happy Veterans day in the USA., and happy Remembrance day in Canada.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 2:18 am

Happy Veterans day in the USA., and happy Remembrance day in Canada.

I knew Canada and England both celebrated the 11TH but for the life of me I couldn't remember.  Ha - forgetting rememberance day.  :-

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 5:56 am

Happy Veteran's Day.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/10 at 6:41 am

Happy Armistice Day, as my dad would say!

Thank you to all those who have and who are currently serving!  You are true heroes.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/11/10 at 7:02 am

Happy Armistice Day, as my dad would say!

Yes!  Armistice Day!

I still call it Armistice Day, and get riled at the Veterans Day sales.  It isn't supposed to be a marketing tool so Applebees, and all the other stores with veterans day sales can take whatever useless crap they are trying to get rid of and shove it down their pie holes.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 8:28 am

Yes!  Armistice Day!

I still call it Armistice Day, and get riled at the Veterans Day sales.  It isn't supposed to be a marketing tool so Applebees, and all the other stores with veterans day sales can take whatever useless crap they are trying to get rid of and shove it down their pie holes.

Well if that is true about Applebees, I'm not going to get a free "taste" of last weeks fish and week old cole slaw and the like. I would think they would allow me to choose what I wanted from their menu.  Military dining facilities, like the term Armistice Day were once referred to as "chow halls" which were famous for meals like "mystery meat surprise" or "road kill casserole" but I often eat lunch in an Army dining facility and the food is actually quite good with a lot of variety.  Maybe if what you say is true of Applebee's they have this notion that we like the old chow hall fair. Any Applebee's employees out there who can give us the real skinny on this freebee? 

Written By: Gis on 11/11/10 at 10:35 am

England does something that they just started recently that is fairly informal as to not be a national holiday as of yet. 

Actually we have been having Remembrance Sunday Parades on the first Sunday after Armistice day every year since the end of WW2! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Sunday

We do not have a national holiday on Armistice Day no, but we do have a national 2 minute silence at 11am and have been doing so since 1939. So not really informal or recent.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 11:12 am

Actually we have been having Remembrance Sunday Parades on the first Sunday after Armistice day every year since the end of WW2! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Sunday

We do not have a national holiday on Armistice Day no, but we do have a national 2 minute silence at 11am and have been doing so since 1939. So not really informal or recent.

Thanks for making this clear to me.  This has jolted my memory back to the subject at hand.  Yes, not recent or informal.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/11/10 at 3:16 pm

November 11 used to be called Armistice Day to remember the end of World War I "The war to end all wars". A war so horrific that mankind would never let itself become engaged in anything like it again.The end of the war was November 11, 1918-11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day. Instead of running out to take advantage of the sales at the mall perhaps it would be better if we all paused today to remember

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/11/10 at 3:37 pm

^agreed!

I also want to extend my thanks to anyone who has served our country and those continuing to serve today so that we may enjoy the wonderful freedom we have here.  Huge “thank you”s to you and your families.  You are truly appreciated!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/10 at 6:03 pm

Yes!  Armistice Day!

You sound like my father.  He used to call me after getting home from the cemetery (he would decorate vets graves with flags) and go on a similar rant.  I agree with everything you said.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 7:15 pm

Say hello to someone with an Army outfit today. :)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/10 at 8:08 pm

Say hello to someone with an Army outfit today. :)

Howard, We vets appreciate your support and thoughtful greetings and thank you for that.  If I may, I'd like to explain the difference between an "outfit" and a uniform.  An "outfit" especially during WWII and before referred to a military unit and of course a uniform is what a soldier, airman, sailor or marine wears.  Although "outfit" as referred to as a military unit is not often used these days.  It's really old school.  "Outfit" as it refers to what a person is wearing is never used to describe the attire of someone in a military uniform. Calling a uniform an "outfit" is condesending to a military person.  It makes us think of something like a costume. 

So head to a military base and yell "hello" to a group of military in formation if you wish to greet an "outfit" or more appropriately a unit - see someone in uniform if you just wish to greet one military individual.

The uniform is the stuff that makes us operate as one with order and discipline, the stuff that is needed to vanquish a foe since it makes us keep in mind that we need that precision in order to be sucessful on the battlefield.

An outfit is something that a funny car full of clowns wear while doing a Chinese fire drill. 

I really do understand what you meant and the thought is honorable and appreciated.  And thanks agian for your support for the troops.  8)  ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/12/10 at 7:06 am

Howard, We vets appreciate your support and thoughtful greetings and thank you for that.  If I may, I'd like to explain the difference between an "outfit" and a uniform.  An "outfit" especially during WWII and before referred to a military unit and of course a uniform is what a soldier, airman, sailor or marine wears.  Although "outfit" as referred to as a military unit is not often used these days.  It's really old school.  "Outfit" as it refers to what a person is wearing is never used to describe the attire of someone in a military uniform. Calling a uniform an "outfit" is condesending to a military person.  It makes us think of something like a costume. 

So head to a military base and yell "hello" to a group of military in formation if you wish to greet an "outfit" or more appropriately a unit - see someone in uniform if you just wish to greet one military individual.

The uniform is the stuff that makes us operate as one with order and discipline, the stuff that is needed to vanquish a foe since it makes us keep in mind that we need that precision in order to be sucessful on the battlefield.

An outfit is something that a funny car full of clowns wear while doing a Chinese fire drill. 

I really do understand what you meant and the thought is honorable and appreciated.  And thanks agian for your support for the troops.   8)  ;)

Thanks Doritos.  :) Karma coming your way.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/12/10 at 11:56 am

I thought this Youtube piece would be amusing to some vets, especially those who remember Vietnam.  This piece is a sound recording made by two USAF fighter jocks at Cam Rahn Bay circa 1966.  It proves two points - fighter jocks have not changed over time and neither has the spin on the news.  I first heard this in the mid 1970's while stationed in Japan.

Disclaimer - This piece contains profanity for effect.  Ever known fighter jocks to talk like choir boys?  If profanity bothers you avoid clicking on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1AYVcAS7k

Check for new replies or respond here...