inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How's your Christmas shopping coming along

Written By: Frank on 11/21/10 at 12:57 am

Now that we've had our first snow, and coz Christmas music is everywhere in the malls already, I thought I'd ask "So how's your Christmas shopping coming along"

For the record, I've only bought a box of chocolates so far...

Subject: Re: How's your Christmas shopping coming along

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/10 at 5:09 am

I have quite a bit, but then I don't have a lot to get. 

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 7:03 am

I don't Christmas shop.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/21/10 at 7:03 am

Haven't started yet.  I know what to get, though...does that count?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 7:58 am

It's friggin November, whatchu talking about Christmas for!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/10 at 11:30 am

Bah Humbug.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 1:37 pm

It's friggin November, whatchu talking about Christmas for!

It's a month away.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/10 at 4:02 pm

I got a couple of things, gave them to Sig to wrap, then on Christmas he will give them to me.  I will be so surprised!  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/21/10 at 4:12 pm

I have bought some clothes and odds and ends that I have picked up here and there for the girls...  Oh and a quesadilla maker for the hubby...Otherwise not too much

I do know I need
1 mermaid barbie
1 littlest petshop hospital thing
some zhu zhu pet schtuff
melissa and dough food and pots and pans
1 rock tumbler
1 pottery wheel
1 cd player (with iPod charger/hookup perferable)
1 game (monopoly 8-P)
some Easy bake oven schtuff (they go in the microwave now)

and I am sure there is more, I just have to stop somewhere

(doh - the stocking stuffers)

Written By: wildcard on 11/21/10 at 10:55 pm

I don't Christmas shop and bah humbug. All the wishy washy Santa stuff  (the guy was a toy maker who gave toys to the kids in his village).  Also why do we need to create Jesus's Birth anyway?  Cant I just thank him on Thanksgiving or any other day?  One year I bought a bunch of beads months in advance and made lizard key chains for nearly all my relatives.  I care, it's just that I think it's crazy.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/21/10 at 11:16 pm

I have no idea what to get anybody.  I got a little bit for my mom and dad, but I would like to get them more.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:48 am

I don't Christmas shop and bah humbug. All the wishy washy Santa stuff  (the guy was a toy maker who gave toys to the kids in his village).  Also why do we need to create Jesus's Birth anyway?  Cant I just thank him on Thanksgiving or any other day?   One year I bought a bunch of beads months in advance and made lizard key chains for nearly all my relatives.  I care, it's just that I think it's crazy.

I agree with you on some points.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/22/10 at 9:22 am

Let's see...
2 games for the Wii
2 DSi games
1 PC game
UDraw for the Wii

Thats it.  :\'(

Everything my kids asked for are in small packages, I think I'm gonna put some in bigger boxes so it looks more impressive under the tree. ;D

Written By: Gis on 11/22/10 at 10:22 am

I'm about half done. Money is squeeky tight so I like to start early and spread out the cost. Plus we start visiting family early December and it's easier to deliver things then, rather than mail them.

Also I have to get stuff to send to the U.S so freaking early to take advantage of surface mail!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/10 at 10:55 am

Actually, everyone is taken care of except Granddaughter #4. Granddaughter #1 is getting a digital camera (one we have hanging around here-not the greatest but for a 7 year old, should be fine). Granddaughters #2 & #3-we are going to send a check to their mother in California and let her buy what they want/need and say it is from us. We really would love to get they piano/dance lessons but we think it may be a bit too expensive. As I am typing this, I am hearing the saw/drill/hammering in the other room where Carlos is making our grandson his gift (something to help him stand and maybe in a few months, Carlos might put some wheels on it to help him walk). We are helping ALL the kids to Puerto Rico-so that is their gift. It is just Granddaughter #4 we have to come up with something.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 11/22/10 at 12:56 pm

To much silly decoration stuff and all the made up Santa stuff. If it is celebrated for giving and family and or get together then it's done right. Nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of Jesus if thats what you want to do, I myself don't want to see any nativity scenes.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/10 at 1:39 pm

I do all my Xmas shopping before December starts, that way I can avoid the punching, kicking and face beating that is weeding through christmas shoppers.

The one year, when I fought with some old bat over a bunch of juice glasses, I had enough.  Christmas shouldn't be about fighting, though that day, I almost broke those glasses over her head.  Instead, I just loaded up her shopping cart full of items from the shelves ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:20 pm

To much silly decoration stuff and all the made up Santa stuff. If it is celebrated for giving and family and or get together then it's done right. Nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of Jesus if thats what you want to do, I myself don't want to see any nativity scenes.

Christmas is overrated. :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/10 at 8:07 am

I have bought some clothes and odds and ends that I have picked up here and there for the girls...  Oh and a quesadilla maker for the hubby...Otherwise not too much

I do know I need
1 mermaid barbie (black friday)
1 littlest petshop hospital thing
some zhu zhu pet schtuff (black friday)
melissa and dough food and pots and pans
1 rock tumbler
1 pottery wheel
1 cd player (with iPod charger/hookup perferable) (black friday - or anytime between Christmas and now)
1 game (monopoly 8-P)
some Easy bake oven schtuff (they go in the microwave now)

and I am sure there is more, I just have to stop somewhere

(doh - the stocking stuffers) (black friday)
  Hey scratching stuff off my list plus a few more I forgot
video girl barbie
still need to get the Holiday Barbie

I have all neices and nephews bought for... 

Hubby is all that is left - YAY

Written By: Midas on 11/24/10 at 9:16 am

I may start today before work if the washer dude comes soon to fix my washer.  :D

My nephew and nieces want Dragon's Lair Trilogy for the Wii since I have it and it is awesome.  I have my finger on the pulse for availability at GameStop; it's currently in stock at two locations near me.

I think we're going to start the bulk of it on Black Friday.  :P  We're not looking for much really.  Some of the things we're scouting for great deals on:

- All-in-one Printer (Preferably HP since we have family that still work for them at this point and all our PCs are HP.  I gots the sneak-peek add for Staples & Office Max and they're running as low as $49.99)

- Office chair for Mrs. Midas
- She also wants a vanity
- I'd like a (don't laugh 40F feels cold here) decent lightweight jacket in black, and possibly one in brown.

I think we're doing some gift cards for the bulk of the kids we're buying for.

Yay after today I'm off 'til Tuesday!  :)

Written By: karen on 11/24/10 at 10:39 am

I have bought a book for my dad and that is it!  Elizabeth has no idea at all what she wants, James only named either super expensive or super weird gifts (full set of body armour, a spiked mace and double-handed axe, etc.)  One or two ideas for my nieces, no idea about my nephew.  Dai had a birthday in a couple of weeks and I don't know what to get him for tht, never mind Christmas!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/10 at 10:47 am

I have bought a book for my dad and that is it!  Elizabeth has no idea at all what she wants, James only named either super expensive or super weird gifts (full set of body armour, a spiked mace and double-handed axe, etc.)  One or two ideas for my nieces, no idea about my nephew.  Dai had a birthday in a couple of weeks and I don't know what to get him for tht, never mind Christmas!
a card...  (for Dai's birthday, isn't that what you get?  or am I seriously mixing up holidays or something)

Written By: karen on 11/24/10 at 12:18 pm

a card...  (for Dai's birthday, isn't that what you get?  or am I seriously mixing up holidays or something)

don't you buy birthday presents as well?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/10 at 12:52 pm

don't you buy birthday presents as well?
actually hubby and I have not really exchanged birthday presents in quite a while.  The girls will pick him out something, but since we share the same birthday it is like trading things...  just not really important. 

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/24/10 at 2:37 pm

I have not started yet... :o  Have a few things in mind; just have not yet gone out and bought 'em.  Not sure yet if I am gonna brave the "black friday" crowds...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/10 at 3:08 pm

I have not started yet... :o  Have a few things in mind; just have not yet gone out and bought 'em.  Not sure yet if I am gonna brave the "black friday" crowds...

That is something I would NEVER do. Of course now in the age of the internet, I don't have to brave the crowds. Just order on-line.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/10 at 4:20 pm

That is something I would NEVER do. Of course now in the age of the internet, I don't have to brave the crowds. Just order on-line.

Cat
and I have done it every year since I was probably 13...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/10 at 6:51 am

The day after Thanksgiving(Black Friday) was always considered the kick off for Christmas shopping, but now up in New Hampshire they have to decided to go one better and open at 5am Thanksgiving.  It bothers me to the depths of my soul.  Bad enough people have to work on Thanksgiving, and no, it isn't a choice, they have to, but the people lining up to shop at 5am on Thanksgiving......I just don't know what to say(well I do, but none of it is good)

Written By: Howard on 11/25/10 at 7:00 am

Cat

The hell with waiting on-line when you have computers today,It's great with what technology we have.No crowds,no yammering cell phones,no silly loud Ipods. ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/25/10 at 7:02 am

The day after Thanksgiving(Black Friday) was always considered the kick off for Christmas shopping, but now up in New Hampshire they have to decided to go one better and open at 5am Thanksgiving.  It bothers me to the depths of my soul.  Bad enough people have to work on Thanksgiving, and no, it isn't a choice, they have to, but the people lining up to shop at 5am on Thanksgiving......I just don't know what to say(well I do, but none of it is good)

I don't understand why people have to shop at 5 in the morning when they could be getting some sleep.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/10 at 7:06 am

I don't understand why people have to shop at 5 in the morning when they could be getting some sleep.

Or spending the entire holiday with their families and/or friends, or helping out somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/10 at 7:08 am

Or spending the entire holiday with their families and/or friends, or helping out somewhere.

Like it's a matter of life and death. ::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/25/10 at 7:31 am

The economy sucked so everyone is getting coal this year! :P

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/25/10 at 11:08 am

I've made my list.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/25/10 at 11:17 am

The day after Thanksgiving(Black Friday) was always considered the kick off for Christmas shopping, but now up in New Hampshire they have to decided to go one better and open at 5am Thanksgiving.  It bothers me to the depths of my soul.  Bad enough people have to work on Thanksgiving, and no, it isn't a choice, they have to, but the people lining up to shop at 5am on Thanksgiving......I just don't know what to say(well I do, but none of it is good)
THAT I do not agree with also, I can understand gas stations, pharmacies (for which I am very grateful)...  but not gift shopping.  Today is a day to give thanks for what we got... and people need to be able to give thanks, and not have to go work for greedy shoppers

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/10 at 12:08 pm

Shopping really shouldn't be a contact sport.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/25/10 at 7:10 pm

Cat

sometimes you have to "stick and move".

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/25/10 at 8:29 pm

Cat
I really get some insane pleasure from smiling and telling the rude/aggressive people happy holidays!  I have also had the benefit of having store clerks get me a product from "the back". After someone before was yelling at him about how they should stock more and it is all a marketing ploy to get people in the store and not have the product...  I just said hey you handled that well, he asked if I wanted one, I said yes but you are already all out no big deal have a happy holiday.  He told me "no problem, we have a stack in the back, but I wasn't going to tell that jerk about it...". WIN!  I am not aggressive about it, they have it or they don't.  This is the first year I am looking for a "hot" item...  Damn nook.  If anyone is going to be at best buy in line... And they can get a nook for $99. Get it and I will be forever in your debt!  Santa clause list is short this year!

Written By: karen on 11/26/10 at 8:49 am

I've made my list.

have you checked it twice?

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/26/10 at 2:18 pm

I think I am done...  just some goodies for the sockings left... I still have to order a cd player, iPod dock for girl and viola (I also have some presents for girl for Birthday - early Feb.)!  YEAH

Written By: Gis on 11/29/10 at 5:04 am

Back to the drawing board with my brother's gift b******s  >:(

He's so damn difficult to buy for and I had a great gift all lined up from me and my parents. A fish cooking day at Billingsgate Fish market in London, but they went and upped the price by £30 which makes it just too much.

Written By: HeartsAfire on 12/01/10 at 2:14 pm

Cat

And I think that is what we have decided to do for most of our gift shopping.  I ventured out w/my husband late Friday night to help him look for a pair of jeans he needed for work...one trek through the mall was all it took for me to make that call...I think some of those folks had lost their last minds in there.  ;D 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/10 at 2:17 pm

Last week we did do some window shopping for Christmas, and we have decided on the gifts for relatives, but we still have to buy the items.

Written By: karen on 12/02/10 at 2:10 am

I have some gifts now.  Going to post them soon.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/02/10 at 4:21 pm

I AM DONE... even the Amazon things I bought have now arrived, and it is all sorted and looks to me that I have eldest's birthday gifts as well- YAY  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/10 at 1:42 am

My wife has started I have to do my bit of shopping now.

Written By: Stompgal on 12/06/10 at 5:13 pm

I've bought most of my presents in shops already and ordered 3 online, but only one of them has been delivered. So far I have bought, received and wrapped:

A selection of caramel, white and fruit-based chocolates from Hotel Chocolat for my sister Penny
A Lynx Twist Duo and Hotel Chocolat Marzipan Selection for my brother Adam
A Nivea for Men Skincare Minis Tube and Hotel Chocolat Boozy Selection for my dad
A Boots Garden Collection Guest Soap set for my mum
A YouFrame Canvas Kit Triple Pack for my friend Lisa

I have ordered the following gifts online and am due to receive them by the end of this week:

A personalised copy of 'Pride and Prejudice' for my housemate Susie
A JML Pink Snuggie for Dogs for my family dog Jasmine

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/10 at 5:46 pm

Everyone is pretty much taken care of with the exception of Granddaughter #4. I was thinking of getting her a doll that will help her to learn how to get dress but her mother is REALLY insisting that everyone get her books this year. I saw an ad for Hallmark that you have recordable books which I think is a FABULOUS idea-until I saw the price.  :o :o :o :o I had been discussing it with Carlos who also thinks it is a fabulous idea but the $$ does put him off also. Then last night HE came up with an idea-buy her just a regular book and then record us reading it on CD and give both together. It is a lot cheaper than the Hallmark ones and more personalized than books that do come with CDs. We just might make one of each of the grandkids.

So, for all of you with young kids on your list-this is a gift idea that you can use, too.

Cat 

Written By: karen on 12/07/10 at 11:45 am

I asked James for ideas for presents for him.  I don't think he is going to get much from the list

A working forge, anvil, metal, hammer, quench bucket etc
a dog, preferably a st Bernard's or other large breed
a ball and chain weapon or maybe a spiked mace
bow and arrows (we looked at archery lessons but you need to be 10)
and one or two games for the wii

edited to add

and a kindle
and an iPad
and whatever other cool gadgets were on the recent ep of Gadget Show!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/10 at 11:42 pm

everytime I go out and start shopping or looking for stuff for family or friends I end up finding stuff for me. last night I went to JCPenney to find a couple shirts for my pals, and before I knew it, I had 2 pairs of Levi's jeans in my hands and nothing for my friends. I put them back and came home to regroup  :-[

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/09/10 at 12:12 pm

I asked James for ideas for presents for him.  I don't think he is going to get much from the list

A working forge, anvil, metal, hammer, quench bucket etc
a dog, preferably a st Bernard's or other large breed
a ball and chain weapon or maybe a spiked mace
bow and arrows (we looked at archery lessons but you need to be 10)
and one or two games for the wii

edited to add

and a kindle
and an iPad
and whatever other cool gadgets were on the recent ep of Gadget Show!

;D  That's an awesome list!

I wouldn't mind having some of that stuff either.  :-\\  Maybe not the St. Bernard though, my 14 pound cat lays on me already and it feels like I'm gonna have a heart attack.  She's so heavy on my chest!  I don't know how real mommies do it!!!???!!  I could only imagine a 70 - 100 pound dog laying on me, smothering me to death.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/10 at 1:17 am

For some people in London last night Christmas shopping had to come to a stop due to the student protests.

Written By: nally on 12/20/10 at 11:01 pm

I finally got all of mine done earlier today. I had done some last week, but I was still uncertain about a gift for my dad; I finally decided on one while I was in the mall today. Now I gotta wrap everything!
Oh, and one of the gifts I'll be giving my mom, I had already purchased during the first week of November: a 2011 Victoriana calendar. I wanted to make sure I got it as soon as possible.

Next year, I will see to it that I get all of it done during the early part of December. Preferably before the 10th.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/21/10 at 9:48 am

I guess I'm done...doesn't look like a lot but I know I spent a lot of money.  I guess the older the kids get, the size of the presents are smaller but the price tag is bigger.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/10 at 11:42 am

I have a couple more things to wrap (only one for this week) and then I am done-for the most part. Carlos still has to go to the Post Office to mail off a couple of packages/cards. There is something that should be coming in the mail any day now but then we have to do something before mailing it off to California and another thing to wrap for my SIL which we will give her in Jan-so there isn't a rush on it. And then I AM DONE!!!!!

http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/dyn/str_strip/347708.full.gif

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/21/10 at 10:37 pm

http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/dyn/str_strip/347708.full.gif

Cat

Love it!! :D :D

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 9:18 pm

I'm a procrastinator and I'm meaning to get on it as soon as I can get around to it. 

(A Round Tuit)

http://www.karlswoodworking.com/images/roundtuit.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 7:05 am

I'm a procrastinator and I'm meaning to get on it as soon as I can get around to it. 

(A Round Tuit)

http://www.karlswoodworking.com/images/roundtuit.jpg

Oh Wow,that's cool.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/26/10 at 10:05 am

Oh Wow,that's cool.

Thanks, glad to have amused you, Howard.  ;)  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/10 at 12:52 am

Done for the year now!

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/29/10 at 12:14 pm

I'm almost done.  Another week or so, I'll be all set.  Should be done just in time for Christmas.

Check for new replies or respond here...