inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell us about your gifting and recieving of Christmas gifts for Christmas 2010

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 7:05 am

OK - Everyone tell us what you got for Christmas - what was your favorite, least favorite and what gift gave you the most pleasure giving?  I can't answer yet since everyone but me is still sleeping.

Subject: Re: Tell us about your gifting and recieving of Christmas gifts for Christmas 2010

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/10 at 7:18 am

I got my daughter a Nintendo DSI.  We originally put it on layaway but we weren't going to be able to get it out until after Christmas.  She is the one who picked it out.  I ended up being able to get it off of layaway so I surprised her with it.  The look on her face was enough of a present for me. :)

Subject: Re: Tell us about your gifting and recieving of Christmas gifts for Christmas 2010

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 7:20 am

I got my daughter a Nintendo DSI.  We originally put it on layaway but we weren't going to be able to get it out until after Christmas.  She is the one who picked it out.  I ended up being able to get it off of layaway so I surprised her with it.  The look on her face was enough of a present for me. :)

did you remember to get me one too?  ;)  :D

Oh and I got (last week when I was in AZ but I forgot to mention it) a combined B-day/Xmas gift..... I got my iPad!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/10 at 7:21 am

Right on.  :)

Sorry, I forgot to pick up yours. :(

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 7:36 am

Right on.  :)

Sorry, I forgot to pick up yours. :(

Damn!  >:(  well no worries.. I have an iPad to entertain me.... that'll just have to do!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/10 at 7:45 am

I have a feeling the iPad would be more entertaining anyway.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 7:56 am

Wow - That is wonderful, especially that you could get it for her on the "Magic" day.  :)  ;)  This even makes me feel good.  THANKS!  Super  8)

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 8:05 am

Oh and I got (last week when I was in AZ but I forgot to mention it) a combined B-day/Xmas gift..... I got my iPad!!!

Sounds great Snoz.  I'm happy for you.  I've been to Az at least 30 times on temporary duty for both the USAF and as a civilian working for the US Army.  Great place.  I love it there.  Merry Christmas to my favorite police dispatcher.  Okay, gunpoint, 132 and Bush, cover's code three."  :)  8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 8:18 am

I have a feeling the iPad would be more entertaining anyway.

I know.. but you know me... tech head that I am I want both!  :D

Sounds great Snoz.  I'm happy for you.  I've been to Az at least 30 times on temporary duty for both the USAF and as a civilian working for the US Army.  Great place.  I love it there.  Merry Christmas to my favorite police dispatcher.  Okay, gunpoint, 132 and Bush, cover's code three."  :)  8)

UGH... I hate AZ... but that's because I have to leave beautiful Santa Barbara when I go there.  Oh and THANKS!!!!

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 9:14 am

Actually the best gift I have received was being extremely fortunate in the wake of a very serious accident.  On Thanksgiving morning I slipped in the shower and one of my legs caught the outside edge of the bath tub and I went over backwards about 90 miles per hour striking my head and neck against the corner of the wall and floor.  I sustained a concussion, was knocked out cold for at least 15 minutes, broke the C6 bone on my spine and messed up bones C5 and C4.  Two discs between these bones are dried out.  The C5 bone caused the most pain.  My upper right arm is numb as well as my right hand, which doesn't always do what I tell it to so I'm learning to use my left hand more especially after dumping drinks like coffee, tea and a lot of other things.  Writing is a chore and at times it feels like my right arm is going to pop through my shoulder.  I can shove a pin two inches into my upper right arm and not feel a thing but if the upper arm is gripped or twisted I feel intense pain way inside at the bone level.  I am not allowed to go back ot work until my doctor releases me to return.  I've been off work since the 24TH of November. 

I have thankfulness because my Neurosurgeon told me had I hit 1/2 inch further to the left I would have most likely severed my spinal cord and I would either be dead or a quadrapalegic or at best a paraplegic.  Today is the first day since it happened on the 25 of November that I woke without pain.  I have an entire drug store of prescription pain killers and anti spasm drugs and thankfully I haven't had to take any since yesterday.

I am to continue to wear my neck collar until my next visit to Neurosurgery at Brook Army Medical Center on 6 Jan.  They want to see if it heals itself.  If not then the next thing likely to happen is a bone fuse.  If that fails then it is some very dangerous surgery which may leave me paralysed. 

I now live everyday being very conscious of my ability to still be ambulatory and to savor every moment of it and not squander it and take it for granted.  It is in the Lord's Hands and I will continue to do His will to the best of my ability and to the best of my understanding of what he wants from me.

So this is my greatest Christmas present.  The upside is that things could be far far worse.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/10 at 9:48 am

The best gift was having Christmas here with the kids. I am sorry that it was such a short visit.

Actually the best gift I have received was being extremely fortunate in the wake of a very serious accident.  On Thanksgiving morning I slipped in the shower and one of my legs caught the outside edge of the bath tub and I went over backwards about 90 miles per hour striking my head and neck against the corner of the wall and floor.  I sustained a concussion, was knocked out cold for at least 15 minutes, broke the C6 bone on my spine and messed up bones C5 and C4.  Two discs between these bones are dried out.  The C5 bone caused the most pain.  My upper right arm is numb as well as my right hand, which doesn't always do what I tell it to so I'm learning to use my left hand more especially after dumping drinks like coffee, tea and a lot of other things.  Writing is a chore and at times it feels like my right arm is going to pop through my shoulder.  I can shove a pin two inches into my upper right arm and not feel a thing but if the upper arm is gripped or twisted I feel intense pain way inside at the bone level.  I am not allowed to go back ot work until my doctor releases me to return.  I've been off work since the 24TH of November. 

I have thankfulness because my Neurosurgeon told me had I hit 1/2 inch further to the left I would have most likely severed my spinal cord and I would either be dead or a quadrapalegic or at best a paraplegic.  Today is the first day since it happened on the 25 of November that I woke without pain.  I have an entire drug store of prescription pain killers and anti spasm drugs and thankfully I haven't had to take any since yesterday.

I am to continue to wear my neck collar until my next visit to Neurosurgery at Brook Army Medical Center on 6 Jan.  They want to see if it heals itself.  If not then the next thing likely to happen is a bone fuse.  If that fails then it is some very dangerous surgery which may leave me paralysed. 

I now live everyday being very conscious of my ability to still be ambulatory and to savor every moment of it and not squander it and take it for granted.  It is in the Lord's Hands and I will continue to do His will to the best of my ability and to the best of my understanding of what he wants from me.

So this is my greatest Christmas present.  The upside is that things could be far far worse.

Hopefully, you will heal soon.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 12/25/10 at 9:50 am

The best gift was having Christmas here with the kids. I am sorry that it was such a short visit.

Hopefully, you will heal soon.

Cat

Thanks Cat.  Karma for the good thoughts.  I'm in some of the best medical hands there are to be had.  BAMC is caring for me.  I worked for BAMC for about 19 months during the years 1992 - 1993.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/25/10 at 4:59 pm

I got the new DDR game for PS3, Soul Calibur 4 for PS3, Toy Story on Blu-Ray, a Fushigi ball, some Pokemon cards (LUGIA LEGEND UPPER HALF IN FIRST EVER HGSS PACK!!!), socks and briefs, an awesome T-shirt, some books, Hyper Dash, some Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger figures, and a Bible case among many other things. And a nutcracker.

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 5:00 pm

I got the new DDR game for PS3, Soul Calibur 4 for PS3, Toy Story on Blu-Ray, a Fushigi ball, some Pokemon cards (LUGIA LEGEND UPPER HALF IN FIRST EVER HGSS PACK!!!), socks and briefs, an awesome T-shirt, some books, Hyper Dash, some Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger figures, and a Bible case among many other things. And a nutcracker.

great! now you can go here  and tell us how that ball works!

Written By: KKay on 12/26/10 at 12:15 pm

Wanna laugh?  What does it mean when your mom gets you new dishes?

Setting for one.  ;D

Is that a comment on one's future or what?!!!

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:42 pm

Setting for one.  ;D

Woe! I don't even know what to say that
;D

Written By: KKay on 12/26/10 at 12:43 pm

Woe! I don't even know what to say that
;D

It's hilarious.  Lately she's been taking a stand on my single-ness.  :-)

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:59 pm

It's hilarious.  Lately she's been taking a stand on my single-ness.  :-)

At least she's for it! O0

Written By: CeeKay on 12/26/10 at 2:19 pm

Setting for one.  ;D

That's our momma!  Hope they're pretty dishes  ;)

Written By: CeeKay on 12/26/10 at 2:22 pm

I got a new camera w 15X zoom - which I'm excited about since photography is my newest hobby.

My best gift is that my two boys (ages 18 and 20) are doing well after a very difficult year. 

I gave mostly photographs or cards - no extra $ these days.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/26/10 at 2:29 pm

dyam you... you could have kept it from me

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 2:53 pm

I got a new camera w 15X zoom - which I'm excited about since photography is my newest hobby.

My best gift is that my two boys (ages 18 and 20) are doing well after a very difficult year. 

I gave mostly photographs or cards - no extra $ these days.

15x zoom? WOW!!!! Mine only has 12X. What kind of camera?

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/26/10 at 4:49 pm

Well taken the only thing I did not buy, was the 3 build-a-bears, that dad and the girls got for me (that I told dad would work as gifts from the girls - cause they always want to go to build-a-bear).  So I now have 3 additional Christmas decorations, Rudolph, Clarice, and Bumble... 

Otherwise I got a new set of pots and pans, a Shark Steamer, and some make-up....  All I bought the day after Thanksgiving at incredible discounts...  Not sure which I like the best or the least.

I do love the fact that my girls have their own rooms, and their bathroom should be finished as soon as the plumbers can get here, after the first of the year.  I also love my new kitchen, which will hopefully be done soon!  All cabinets are in  - just the trim stuff is not done... 

Written By: CeeKay on 12/26/10 at 5:23 pm

15x zoom? WOW!!!! Mine only has 12X. What kind of camera?

Cat

It's a GE X5.  But I have to say that I need a tripod for the high level zoom because the stablization at 15 is nil.
Waiting for a nice day to try it out though -- can't wait!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 5:37 pm

It's a GE X5.  But I have to say that I need a tripod for the high level zoom because the stablization at 15 is nil.
Waiting for a nice day to try it out though -- can't wait!

I'm partial to Canons myself but I hope the camera is good to you.

You can check out some of my pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23251068@N02/

(Yup-another shameless plug for my photos.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 12/26/10 at 6:10 pm

Cat

Well, it was a gift, so hopefully it will take great shots!  Will check out your pictures, thanks for the link!

Written By: CeeKay on 12/26/10 at 6:15 pm

Cat

Wow - those are beautiful!  I love photographing birds too!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 6:30 pm

Wow - those are beautiful!  I love photographing birds too!

Thanks. I say to people, "I want to shoot birds." They look at me horrified until I show them my camera.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I can't tell you how many times I have come into the house and sung to Carlos, "I shot a bird. I shot a bird."  :D ;D ;D ;D I can shoot them a lot better with the camera I have now (Canon PowerShot SX200) than I could with my old camera (Canon PowerShot A430). It was nice little camera but didn't have much of a zoom.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/10 at 6:34 pm

Youngone got this nice Mac laptop which I am putting to good use while he remains partial to the desktop while at home  ;D

Written By: nally on 12/26/10 at 7:49 pm

Let's see...I gave my mom some goodies from Bath & Body Works, as well as a 2011 Victoriana calendar; I gave my dad a small puppy calendar and a cozy forest green sweater.

I got several articles of clothing, including a couple of long-sleeved T-shirts and a cozy sweater; I also received a 2011 World Almanac, which I have been reading parts of.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 7:14 am

Cat

Those are very nice.

Written By: karen on 12/27/10 at 9:13 am

Elizabeth got clothes, jewellery, a Pixie Lott CD, a few Dr Who related items and a ticket for a flight to the US in February.

James got clothes, Top Gear related stuff, Buckaroo, a Black-eyed Peas CD, a couple of games for his DS and a ticket for a flight to the US in February.

Dai got a jumper, a camera case, some chocolate and a bottle of port.

I got chocolates, hair straighteners, a cardigan and a charm for my bracelet.

Elizabeth was most pleased with the ticket to the US because they (I am staying here to work - boo hoo) will be staying some of the time with friends in Vermont to go skiing.

James likes the clothes we got him (mainly space/star wars themed)

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/27/10 at 1:53 pm

Thanks. I say to people, "I want to shoot birds." They look at me horrified until I show them my camera.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I can't tell you how many times I have come into the house and sung to Carlos, "I shot a bird. I shot a bird."  :D ;D ;D ;D I can shoot them a lot better with the camera I have now (Canon PowerShot SX200) than I could with my old camera (Canon PowerShot A430). It was nice little camera but didn't have much of a zoom.

Cat

I worked for a man many years ago, he told me that one day DCS (dept of children's services) showed up at his house because someone at school had filed a complaint.  A teacher was worried because his daughter was saying stuff about her dad was going to shoot her.  He was a professional photographer and owned a studio and he was talking about shooting photos.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/10 at 2:34 pm

I worked for a man many years ago, he told me that one day DCS (dept of children's services) showed up at his house because someone at school had filed a complaint.  A teacher was worried because his daughter was saying stuff about her dad was going to shoot her.  He was a professional photographer and owned a studio and he was talking about shooting photos.   ;D

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/10 at 2:38 pm

I worked for a man many years ago, he told me that one day DCS (dept of children's services) showed up at his house because someone at school had filed a complaint.  A teacher was worried because his daughter was saying stuff about her dad was going to shoot her.  He was a professional photographer and owned a studio and he was talking about shooting photos.   ;D

Too funny.

Cat

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/27/10 at 2:47 pm

I got a Lots O' Huggin' Bear stuffed bear, Shrek Forever After DVD, an iPhone, and some gift cards.

I got my friends' children some toys, especially Toy Story, Disney Princess, Tinkerbell, and Spongebob Stuff. A friend of mine spent $200 worth of toys for her 2 children. I gave some of my friends gift cards, jewelry, clothes, cosmetics...and more gift cards.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/27/10 at 7:03 pm

The kids were thrilled with the stuff they recieved.  Best presents were the Xbox 360 Kinect and the UDraw for the Wii.  I even tried the Dance Central game for the Kinect, it was a lot of fun, it's really cool that you don't need to use any controllers and it's a pretty good work out. 

I didn't get much (I didn't really want anything, anyway) a gift card to the Mall and a bottle of perfume. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/27/10 at 7:40 pm

The kids were thrilled with the stuff they recieved.  Best presents were the Xbox 360 Kinect and the UDraw for the Wii.  I even tried the Dance Central game for the Kinect, it was a lot of fun, it's really cool that you don't need to use any controllers and it's a pretty good work out. 

I didn't get much (I didn't really want anything, anyway) a gift card to the Mall and a bottle of perfume. 
How is the UDraw, I want to get it for Daughters and the eldests birthday is in Feb.  I never really even saw it for sale around here.  I will take a look, hopefully I can get it then.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/27/10 at 10:28 pm

Money was really tight for both me and hubby and my parents, so Christmas is kinda delayed until end of January when dad gets his social security check and things stabilize financially for them a little more.  Mom made us cookies (yum) and a small box of cheese and summer sausages (double yum) and me a box of bubble bath and hubby a bag of socks (which I've been "borrowing" because I can't find any of my socks.

I got hubby a staffed animal ocelot (he loves that animal pattern) and a pair of jeans.  Got mom a couple religious romance paperbacks and a mini child's tea set (she collects them.)  Got dad a dalmation stuffed animal that sings and dances (he collects them).  Hubby's family doesn't exchange presents.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/10 at 11:45 pm

Religious romance? I guessing that entails a bit of accdetal brushing against each other, lots of longing stares and *gasp* may e evan a page of working up the courage to hold hands!!!  :D

Sounds nice tho patty I totally get not having money- I couldn't really get anyone what I wanted so I had be creative about what I got! Lots of coupons and trips to the outlet mall.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/28/10 at 9:01 am

How is the UDraw, I want to get it for Daughters and the eldests birthday is in Feb.  I never really even saw it for sale around here.  I will take a look, hopefully I can get it then.

My son really seems to like it.  I've never played with it, but I do want to get Pictionary.

Written By: CeeKay on 12/28/10 at 10:45 am

My sis gave me a sweater and a top -- love them both!

Written By: karen on 12/28/10 at 2:50 pm

My son really seems to like it.  I've never played with it, but I do want to get Pictionary.

Pictionary is fun.  Elizabeth had it for a birthday gift and we played with the family on Boxing Day.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/28/10 at 3:52 pm

Cat

Ahem...  This is a family site and beyond that it is a thread about Christmas.  We should not be "shooting the bird" 'round here.  ::)  Nuf said.  :D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/10 at 4:01 pm

Ahem...  This is a family site and beyond that it is a thread about Christmas.  We should not be "shooting the bird" 'round here.  ::)  Nuf said.  :D ;D

Not even THIS bird?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4418636656_0121bf3768.jpg

Or THIS one?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4774253273_5133841b79.jpg

Or THIS one?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/4438714880_4d8987cba9.jpg

Again, another shameless plug. Yes, those are all birds that I shot. I hope you all like my shots.

Cat

Written By: DoRitos on 12/28/10 at 6:22 pm

Not even THIS bird?

Or THIS one?

Or THIS one?

Again, another shameless plug. Yes, those are all birds that I shot. I hope you all like my shots.

Cat

Fine pics Cat.  I guess this kind of shooting of the bird is just fine.  You have fine skill with a camera.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/10 at 6:40 pm

Fine pics Cat.  I guess this kind of shooting of the bird is just fine.  You have fine skill with a camera.

Thanks. And if you want to see more:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/23251068@N02/

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/28/10 at 8:39 pm

Not even THIS bird?

Or THIS one?

Or THIS one?

Cat

what about pictures of pigeons?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/28/10 at 9:10 pm

Religious romance? I guessing that entails a bit of accdetal brushing against each other, lots of longing stares and *gasp* may e evan a page of working up the courage to hold hands!!!  :D

I dunno.  I think they are like regular romances (even with the erm... sex and all,) but the target audience is more the single moms with some sort of faith crisis so that when the right guy comes along it's inspired by God.  I guess.  Mom likes them, I tried reading one but couldn't finish it  I tried to read it twice but couldn't get into it.

Sounds nice tho patty I totally get not having money- I couldn't really get anyone what I wanted so I had be creative about what I got! Lots of coupons and trips to the outlet mall.

Yeah it was nice.  I kinda miss some of the pageantry of the holiday, but it does get way too expensive and complicated.  I didn't even get my tree up this year.  I guess there is always next year

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/10 at 9:54 pm

I never put up a tree. I decided it's too depressing to decorate for just me. But even before then I hated the feeling that came with taking down the decorations. Of course my mother was always ready to take them down after all the gifts are opened so that probably had something to do with it.  ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 01/01/11 at 12:03 pm

Gifts I gave to other people (and a pet!)

A set of Boots Garden Collection Guest Soaps for my mum.
A Nivea for Men Skincare Minis tube for my dad
A Lynx Twist Duo for my brother
A selection of fruit, white and caramel-based chocolates from Hotel Chocolat for my sister
A Snuggie for Dogs in pink for Jasmine
A YouFrame Photo Cannvas Kit Triple Pack for my friend Lisa
A personalised copy of Pride and Prejudice for my other friend Susie

Gifts I received from other people

My family

A message bean plant
Two photo albums
Lots of lollipops
A hand-made recipe file
A travel-sized photo frame
A brownie mix
A trinket box
Cucumber facial scrub
An organiser
A few Superdrug shower treats
An LED torch
A Christmas book
Slipper pumps
A silver oval  photo frame with crystals
A set of mini SpongeBob SquarePants books
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel plate
A Cavalkier King Charles Spaniel Puppies calendar
A bath bomb
A set of Marks and Spencer bath confetti, sugar and caviar in fruity scents
A Cadbury's selection box

My friends

An Impulse set and a scarf from Susie
A photo frame, a bookmark calendar and an On This Day book from Lisa

My support staff

A £15 iTunes gift card

Written By: karen on 01/01/11 at 2:45 pm

I never put up a tree. I decided it's too depressing to decorate for just me.

My dad bought one of the fibre optic ones.  You just plug it in and it looks pretty.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/11 at 2:49 pm

My dad bought one of the fibre optic ones.  You just plug it in and it looks pretty.

Those are pretty

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/01/11 at 2:56 pm

Got some really nice Bath and body works Lavender and Vanilla scented bath and massage oil stuff from friends of ours last night.

Written By: CeeKay on 01/01/11 at 3:50 pm

Got some really nice Bath and body works Lavender and Vanilla scented bath and massage oil stuff from friends of ours last night.

I LOVE Bath and Body Works!

Written By: DoRitos on 01/02/11 at 9:12 am

what about pictures of pigeons?

Pigeons and sea gulls are merely just rats with wings.  ::)

Written By: DoRitos on 01/02/11 at 9:17 am

Thanks. And if you want to see more:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/23251068@N02/

Cat

Wow Cat - Great stuff - amazing how you overcome being visually challenged.  8) 8) 8)  Karma for your camera.  These are all great!  :) ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/11 at 12:37 pm

Wow Cat - Great stuff - amazing how you overcome being visually challenged.  8) 8) 8)  Karma for your camera.  These are all great!  :) ;)

Thx. Actually, the camera helps me to see better. Sometimes when I bring the pics up on the computer I say to myself, "Wow, I didn't see that when I took this shot."

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/02/11 at 1:19 pm

Pigeons and sea gulls are merely just rats with wings.   ::)

I know that.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/04/11 at 11:07 am

I do too, I never go there though.  I don't know why.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/11 at 11:15 am

One time I bought a bunch of their hand soaps and made a comment about getting 3 different flavors. My youngest step-daughter made a comment about me calling them flavors and I responded that I got raspberry, melon cucumber, & apple. Aren't they flavors? 

Cat

Written By: seamermar on 01/06/11 at 7:42 pm

Actually the best gift I have received was being extremely fortunate in the wake of a very serious accident. 

A great gift indeed, Doritos. I wish you soon heal and things don't go worse but the very best.
In here I find your graceful writings something to highlighted whatever you said.
This your post reminded me "The butterfly Circus" and his main character. No legs no arms, but an endles iron will to fly.

As for me, it seems I got always tied up to ties, when it comes Christmas ::)
Never mind, What really means is having health and love the rest of year.

good luck to all of you, and learn to fly without wings, only by the powerful of your dreams.

Paco,  some silly sailor :P :P

Check for new replies or respond here...