inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coded American Civil War message in bottle deciphered

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/10 at 3:59 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50578000/jpg/_50578030_010902372-1.jpg

A message in a bottle delivered to a Confederate general during the American Civil War has been deciphered, 147 years after it was written.

In the encrypted message, a commander tells Gen John Pemberton that no reinforcements are available to help him defend Vicksburg, Mississippi.

"You can expect no help from this side of the river," says the message, which was deciphered by codebreakers.

The text is dated 4 July 1863 - the day Vicksburg fell to Union forces.

The small bottle was given to the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia, by a former Confederate soldier in 1896.

Earlier this year the museum's collections manager, Catherine Wright, decided to investigate the wrapped note it contained.

It was "just sort of a curiosity thing", she told the Associated Press news agency.

When Ms Wright found that the message was coded, she asked retired CIA codebreaker David Gaddy to crack it - which he did in several weeks. A Navy cryptologist later confirmed the interpretation.

Historians regard the fall of Vicksburg as an important victory for Union forces. The Confederates were finally defeated in 1865.

Subject: Re: Coded American Civil War message in bottle deciphered

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/10 at 4:16 am

That is way cool.  The fall of Vicksburg engineered by Ulysses Grant was a major decisive victory and came the same day as the Union victory at Gettysburg considered by many as the "high water mark of the Confederacy".  From there it was all down hill for them.  It was also considered very telling that these victories came on July 4th.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/28/10 at 7:35 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50578000/jpg/_50578030_010902372-1.jpg

A message in a bottle delivered to a Confederate general during the American Civil War has been deciphered, 147 years after it was written.

In the encrypted message, a commander tells Gen John Pemberton that no reinforcements are available to help him defend Vicksburg, Mississippi.

"You can expect no help from this side of the river," says the message, which was deciphered by codebreakers.

The text is dated 4 July 1863 - the day Vicksburg fell to Union forces.

The small bottle was given to the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia, by a former Confederate soldier in 1896.

Earlier this year the museum's collections manager, Catherine Wright, decided to investigate the wrapped note it contained.

It was "just sort of a curiosity thing", she told the Associated Press news agency.

When Ms Wright found that the message was coded, she asked retired CIA codebreaker David Gaddy to crack it - which he did in several weeks. A Navy cryptologist later confirmed the interpretation.

Historians regard the fall of Vicksburg as an important victory for Union forces. The Confederates were finally defeated in 1865.

Amazing co-incident.  The battle of Gettysburg occurred 1 - 3 July 1863.  Vicksburg occurred one day after Gettysburg.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/10 at 7:41 am

Amazing co-incident.  The battle of Gettysburg occurred 1 - 3 July 1863.  Vicksburg occurred one day after Gettysburg.

It was over 100 years before the people of Vicksburg celebrated the 4th of July.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/28/10 at 5:41 pm

It was over 100 years before the people of Vicksburg celebrated the 4th of July.

Gee - I wonder why?  Whoda thunk it?  That is interesting.  8) Thanks for sharing and karma to you for educating me.  I learned something new today. I have been to the Gettysburg battlefield over a dozen times.  I even once saw a reenactment there (awesome). I lived in between Baltimore and DC for about 6 1/2 years and it was only about a two hour drive if that.  I always had interesting places to take house guests when they visited and everyone always wanted to see Gettysburg.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/10 at 8:50 am

Gee - I wonder why?  Whoda thunk it?  That is interesting.  8) Thanks for sharing and karma to you for educating me.  I learned something new today. I have been to the Gettysburg battlefield over a dozen times.  I even once saw a reenactment there (awesome). I lived in between Baltimore and DC for about 6 1/2 years and it was only about a two hour drive if that.  I always had interesting places to take house guests when they visited and everyone always wanted to see Gettysburg.   :)

Lucky you!  I have been to Gettysburg once and am planning another trip, it is beyond a doubt the best historical sight in the country!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 2:09 pm

Interesting.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/29/10 at 4:42 pm

Lucky you!  I have been to Gettysburg once and am planning another trip, it is beyond a doubt the best historical sight in the country!

Without a doubt Gettysburg IS the most interesting historical site in the U.S.  8) 8) 8) As many times as I have been there I have always learned and saw and felt something new.  You could go there 1,000 times and there would always be something new to learn, see and feel.  It wasn't luck.  I was serving Uncle Sam in the USAF at the time.  Uncle just happened to let me live there for 6 1/2 wonderful years.  It was one of my best assignments both job wise and living wise.  I left there in 1984 and went to San Antonio, Tx where I retired right after the first Gulf War ended.  I was in another 7 1/2 years in San Antonio when I retired after more than 21 years of active duty service.  Job wise the best is a toss up between Maryland and San Antonio.  I think being military has a lot to do with my interest in places like Gettysburg.

Check for new replies or respond here...