inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Travel chaos as blizzards hit eastern United States

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/10 at 6:50 am

Blizzards have swept north along the eastern coast of the US, forcing the cancellation of more than 2,000 flights and disrupting rail and road traffic.

The winter storm closed New York airports, stranding thousands of people in a busy post-Christmas travel period.

The New York area was in the bull's eye of the storm, receiving up to 46cm (18in) of snow on Sunday.

Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina and Virginia declared emergencies.

The southern states of Georgia and South Carolina had their first white Christmas in more than a century.

But Washington DC appeared likely to escape the blizzard, with a small amount of snowfall expected.

The National Weather Service said the monster snow storm was the result of a low pressure system which is currently intensifying south-east of New York's Long Island.

It said a full-blown blizzard - meaning winds of at least 35mph (55km/h) along with snow and low visibility - was pummelling eastern New Jersey, New York City and western Long Island.

Blizzard warnings remained in effect for coasts of the northern mid-Atlantic states. Officials in eastern Canada said they were also bracing for the storm.

The timing of the snowstorm meant disruption for many thousands travelling after Christmas reunions and hampered the start of the shopping sales season and the return to work for many commuters.

There were no flights out of two airports serving New York - JFK and Newark Liberty International Airport - early on Monday morning, and very few out of LaGuardia.

Passengers camped out on floors in terminals.

Flights were also cancelled at other airports across the north-east and at airports in Washington, Baltimore and Chicago.

Delta spokesman Kent Landers said the airline expected cancellations on Monday morning across the north-east but "certainly by Tuesday morning we are aiming to resume normal operations throughout the east coast".

Other airlines were expecting more cancellations and operators were scrambling to rebook passengers.

Snow began falling around New York City late on Sunday morning and by the end of the day it had already dropped 18in on some areas, including Brooklyn and the New Jersey shore, with heavy wind gusts.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said: "Unfortunately our city is directly in the path. It's hard to stand up in a 55mph wind, so this really is dangerous."

The authorities have deployed 1,700 snow ploughs and about 2,400 street cleaners have been called in to clear snow in the city.

Amtrak announced it was cancelling services between Boston and New York City "due to the blizzard conditions affecting a good portion of the east coast".

New York's Long Island Rail Road also suspended its service.

Many bus routes serving the east coast were also cancelled.

Airline cancellations on Sunday included:

* Delta Airlines - about 850 flights - mainly from North and South Carolina up to Boston
    * Continental Airlines - 265 flights, primarily from Newark Liberty International Airport
    * United Airlines - 110 flights from Newark, Philadelphia, LaGuardia and JFK, Boston and other airports
    * British Airways and Virgin were among operators cancelling flights from Britain to many eastern US destinations, including New York

Heavy snow is also affecting road travel, with reports of numerous crashes and other accidents across the east coast.

Subject: Re: Travel chaos as blizzards hit eastern United States

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 7:07 am

I'm trapped,can't even get outta my house we have about 19 inches I believe.It's weird how I  just had a week long vacation and then you see a blizzard outside and you wind up having to take another day off.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/27/10 at 10:23 am

This nor'easter reached us in VT last night and is getting worse with high winds, low temp's and lots of snow.  I knew we should have celebrated the holidays in Puerto Rico

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 1:47 pm

This was one massive storm but thank god by next week it will be near 50 so some melting is in order.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/27/10 at 2:40 pm

It took me 4 hours to get all the snow off my driveway and sidewalk. My bro sure picked the wrong time to visit his girlfriend down the shore!  >:( I had to shovel all the snow all by myself without any help at all, and my parents can't do it anymore because of their heart problems. I bet my bro had to help his g/f's dad to shovel more snow than what we had this morning and her brothers were asleep. Now my arms and back are all sore and crampy!  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/10 at 2:46 pm

I think there is more snow on our covered porch than on the road because the snow blew onto the porch.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/28/10 at 7:23 am

I couldn't even lift much of the snow,It was crazy. :o

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/10 at 7:49 am

They had a guy on the Today Show who took his wife and infant baby from Virginia up to New York City.  It got bad in New Jersey, SO HE KEPT GOING!  He was stuck  in one spot for eight hours, his wife called a radio show and a guy a couple of blocks away got to the car, got them out, and brought them to his(the rescuers) mothers' house.  The idiot shouldn't have been on the Today show, his rescuer, Jose Calderon, should have been.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/10 at 8:48 pm

Today was just one chaotic day just way too many snow banks and waiting for the bus in the street was really ridiculous cause snow banks are blocking the bus entrance way.That's why It's best to leave a half hour early for just in case.

Check for new replies or respond here...