inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: parental blockers

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/11 at 2:43 pm

Does anyone know of a good, free parental blocker for my daughters computer.  She has been visiting some questionable sites and I want to nip it in the bud.  Our anti-virus has nothing.

Subject: Re: parental blockers

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/30/11 at 5:13 pm

Does anyone know of a good, free parental blocker for my daughters computer.  She has been visiting some questionable sites and I want to nip it in the bud.  Our anti-virus has nothing.

I don't know of any electronic ones, but may I suggest that YOU are the best one available.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/11 at 5:36 pm

I don't know of any electronic ones, but may I suggest that YOU are the best one available.

I know and I monitor but sometimes things slip through. 

I found one that allows me to choose what types of site she can visit...I can even exclude suspect sites like phishing sites.  That makes me feel tons better as well.  She is still very naive when it comes to scams.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/11 at 7:29 am

I know and I monitor but sometimes things slip through. 

I found one that allows me to choose what types of site she can visit...I can even exclude suspect sites like phishing sites.  That makes me feel tons better as well.  She is still very naive when it comes to scams.

I'm sure you do, buut you can't be everywhere.  Just keep in mind that blockers can't do it all.  Good luck, parenting ain't easy, I know, been there, done that, 4 times!  Good luck.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/11 at 9:06 am

I'm sure you do, buut you can't be everywhere.  Just keep in mind that blockers can't do it all.  Good luck, parenting ain't easy, I know, been there, done that, 4 times!  Good luck.

Maybe I should get a Spousal Blocker-or have you learned your lesson?  ;)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/31/11 at 6:11 pm

No it's not but you gotta do it.  I check her computer all the time.  Plus I have to have all her passwords.  So far she hasn't fought this.  Could be that she has been told if I don't have passwords, I get her computer and the modem goes to work with me so she can't even use my computer.

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/11 at 9:32 pm

Inappropriate sites can also be obtained through a cell phone as well.

Without a modem, a computer could still be used through Wi-Fi if someone in your area has a unprotected connection.

Check for new replies or respond here...