inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the difference between 'decadology' and regular pop culture decade stuff?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:59 pm

i still dont quite understand the difference, between talking about decades, and decadology.  :-\\ what exactly is the difference? what topics are okay and what are not?

Subject: Re: the difference between 'decadology' and regular pop culture decade stuff?

Written By: Step-chan on 04/11/11 at 10:47 pm

This sticky will help:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32990.0

What is decadeology?

~ Decadeology is the discussion and/or comparison of two or more years or decades that have no bearing on one another. ~

You can go into as much detail or analysis about a year, decade, and so on as you like. Threads like (hypothetical names here) "Why 1994 was great", "My favorite year of the 80s" or "Why the 60s ruled" are okay. Histories and timelines are fine as well.

Someone else was making way too many threads based around this subject awhile back.

Another note from the sticky:

A secondary characteristic of decadeology: if someone can create 100 nearly identical topics from your post, it's probably decadeology. For example:

"What did people think of the '80s in 1994?" leads to

"What did people think of the '80s in 1993?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1992?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1991?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1990?"

You're fine as long as you aren't making threads like these examples.

Subject: Re: the difference between 'decadology' and regular pop culture decade stuff?

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/11 at 11:02 pm

What did you like about the 80s?  OK
What did someone born in the 90s think about 1986?  WTF?
When did people born in 1986 start thinking about the 90s  You're an idiot
Was 1989 more like 1979 or 1969?  You were dropped on your head when you were a child, weren't you?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/11/11 at 11:08 pm

A secondary characteristic of decadeology: if someone can create 100 nearly identical topics from your post, it's probably decadeology. For example:

"What did people think of the '80s in 1994?" leads to

"What did people think of the '80s in 1993?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1992?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1991?"
"What did people think of the '80s in 1990?"

And just in case you think he's exaggerating, yeah, we actually had a guy do exactly that.  One thread, per decade, per year.  We're talking Forrest Gump levels of functional autism here.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/15/11 at 10:37 pm

And just in case you think he's exaggerating, yeah, we actually had a guy do exactly that.  One thread, per decade, per year.  We're talking Forrest Gump levels of functional autism here.

and he returns... once in a while... he's fine for about an hour... and then it begins, all over again.  not quite as blatant, but it's so blindingly obvious that anyone whose seen it in action before recognizes it. 

The worst part is around the time he first signed up, he had a couple friends on the site that thought it was just the greatest thing ever and would chat back and forth with him on these topics.  It took a month before we had to make the rule just to ban him and try and restore some sanity to the site.  I know we lost a handful of long time regulars in the process we just never bothered to come back even after the ban(s) took effect.  It's one of the reasons we tend to try and clamp it down quickly if we think someone is venturing into that kind of silliness now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/16/11 at 10:07 pm

and he returns... once in a while... he's fine for about an hour... and then it begins, all over again.  not quite as blatant, but it's so blindingly obvious that anyone whose seen it in action before recognizes it. 

The worst part is around the time he first signed up, he had a couple friends on the site that thought it was just the greatest thing ever and would chat back and forth with him on these topics.  It took a month before we had to make the rule just to ban him and try and restore some sanity to the site.  I know we lost a handful of long time regulars in the process we just never bothered to come back even after the ban(s) took effect.  It's one of the reasons we tend to try and clamp it down quickly if we think someone is venturing into that kind of silliness now.

True.  I ain't too proud to admit it if it turns out that IHBT and IHL.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/11 at 6:02 pm

This is how bad it was getting:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/cos.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/decadeology.jpg

:o :o :o

Written By: loki 13 on 04/18/11 at 8:06 pm

What did you like about the 80s?  OK
What did someone born in the 90s think about 1986?  WTF?
When did people born in 1986 start thinking about the 90s  You're an idiot
Was 1989 more like 1979 or 1969?  You were dropped on your head when you were a child, weren't you?

Anyone else notice the day and time of Jason's reply is a palindrome...112011110211, man do I have too much time on my hands.  :-[

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/18/11 at 9:02 pm

Anyone else notice the day and time of Jason's reply is a palindrome...112011110211, man do I have too much time on my hands.  :-5XcKBmdfpWs

Too much -- time on my hands,
And it's takin' away with my sanity,
Too much -- time on my hands,
It's hard to believe it's decadology.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/11 at 1:11 am

Anyone else notice the day and time of Jason's reply is a palindrome...112011110211

That's awesome.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/11 at 7:01 am

Anyone else notice the day and time of Jason's reply is a palindrome...112011110211, man do I have too much time on my hands.  :-[

That's cool.

Written By: Midas on 04/28/11 at 8:31 pm

The difference?  Regular pop culture decade stuff is palatable.  Decade-ology is a made up word and is freakin' STUPID.

Written By: Jessica on 04/29/11 at 11:21 pm

This is how bad it was getting:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/decadeology.jpg

:o :o :o

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/09/11 at 8:09 pm

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/hitlerdecade.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/11 at 10:30 pm

^ LOL

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5793/decadeology.png

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/11 at 11:00 pm

The difference, Donald of Insufficient Light, is that regular pop culture decade stuff involves talent.

1970s: Reunion, Life is a Rock (but the Radio Rolled Me)

16kh-AP4OCU

1980s: Alan Gordon, The 80s Song (aka We Didn't Start the 80s)

BRxreEIOqVw

1990s: Alan Gordon, The 90s Song

ebJKvAoiW5o

Are we done here, DD?  If you want to redeem yourself, make a video for it.  And make it a good one!

Written By: Howard on 05/10/11 at 6:54 am

^ LOL

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5793/decadeology.png

LOL.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/11 at 4:42 pm

Something I just thought of...

Did he come up with the term "decadeology" himself?

I haven't seen anything on it on the internet anywhere else for the most part.

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/11 at 5:33 pm

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9369/darkology1.png

Something I just thought of...

Did he come up with the term "decadeology" himself?

I haven't seen anything on it on the internet anywhere else for the most part.

When you input Decadeology into wikipedia, it redirects you to the page on periodization.  Not really sure if 'Deacdeology' is an actual term, but if it is, it's not recognized by Westers or Collins English dictionary

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/11 at 7:47 pm

I see.

When I tried a Google search, there were listings, but part were from these forum boards(and I think one was from the guy's forum, well... now dead forum).

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/11 at 11:38 pm

I see.

When I tried a Google search, there were listings, but part were from these forum boards(and I think one was from the guy's forum, well... now dead forum).

He's got blogs, other forums he created, and all kinds of posts on other forums.  He once did have his own wikipedia page devoted to decadeology, but it got removed.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 11:45 pm

He's got blogs, other forums he created, and all kinds of posts on other forums.  He once did have his own wikipedia page devoted to decadeology, but it got removed.

Good Lord, you mean, we weren't the only ones?  The Wikipedia folks must have had a field day with him.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/11 at 12:29 am

Good Lord, you mean, we weren't the only ones?  The Wikipedia folks must have had a field day with him.

When he got banned, he started up his own boards devoted to decadeology, which I ultimately destroyed when I went over there and spammed with threads about poop and piss.

I tried to do the same with his wikipedia page, but it had been removed not even days after I'd first discovered it

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/11 at 7:15 pm

Wow, Dorko's been gone quite a while, and I'd forgotten how seriously he really took this decadeology nonsense. He genuinely thought he was coming up with some brilliant new scientific theory.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread477953/pg1

I was thinking that it would be really funny if some comic book and/or action movie had a pathetic/annoying supervillain who was obsessed with decadeology and was driven to madness and turned to evil because no one took him seriously.   ;D

Written By: Jessica on 05/13/11 at 7:19 pm

When he got banned, he started up his own boards devoted to decadeology, which I ultimately destroyed when I went over there and spammed with threads about poop and piss.

I tried to do the same with his wikipedia page, but it had been removed not even days after I'd first discovered it

Wasn't just you. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 05/13/11 at 7:26 pm

I remember him advertising his forum here, now that I think of it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/11 at 11:24 am

I actually feel sorry for him-which I'm sure I am the only one around here. It is obvious that the kid doesn't have a clue.

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 05/14/11 at 10:34 pm

I've got no ill will toward the guy myself, as I've never been bothered by his topics(which I simply had no interest in).

Check for new replies or respond here...