inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why ie6 Shouldnt be retired

Written By: Dude111 on 04/24/11 at 2:17 am

www.dedoimedo.com/computers/internet-explorer-6-retire.html

EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!

The problem is with Web developers, not the browser

Indeed!!!

People are so lazy and want to do the quickest job they can and it results in GARBAGE!!

Web design has gone WAY DOWN THE TUBES and its just sad...... TAKE THE EXTRA TIME TO MAKE YOUR SITE LOOK GOOD!!!!!

Way too many ppl have lost thier sense of 'WHATS GOOD' and its very sad.......

EXCELLENT,EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Why ie6 Shouldnt be retired

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/11 at 11:34 am

www.dedoimedo.com/computers/internet-explorer-6-retire.html

EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!

awful awful awful article

IE is not compliant with web standards. no version ever has been, IE6 especially, but even the newer versions are still behind the curve. If code to a standard more recent than 10 years ago, nothing works like it should in IE6.  IE6 is still locked in at corporations because they coded to non-standard IE6 BS, or worse, used Sharepoint and other MS products that coded to those standards. Microsoft is more guilty of the VBSCript lock in than any web developer not affiliated with MS is.

Whoever wrote this article has to be a crank or horribly misinformed of the history of web development.

Written By: ThunderVamp9 on 05/15/11 at 12:51 am

Wow, that really is a horrible article.

As an employee in web design, I can't believe the number of flaws in this guy's argument.

First, he says
If Web developers adhered to W3C standards, there would be no need for any retiring any browser.
But W3C standards change over time. When we launch a website, we validate each and every page on it for W3C compliance. But guess how often the site STILL doesn't look right and/or requires modification to look semi-correct in IE6? Almost every single one.

IE6 was never standards compliant, even 10 years ago. Programmers have always been forced to adjust their sites to account for IE6.

Even today, you get web designers writing crap code to accommodate their users rather than FORCING their users to stick to superior, compliant browsers.
I really wish we, as programmers, COULD stop writing to accommodate IE6 but the fact is we get paid to design these websites and our clients call that shot. They want us to support the old garbage browser because, as of that countdown just today, 11.4% of the users are still using it. To not support it means telling 11 out of every 100 customers of theirs "Tough luck, you can't visit this site." or "You can't shop here." That's just not gonna fly. You can't tell a 1/10th of all of your potential customers that they can't do business with you unless they upgrade. Most will just shop elsewhere. And our clients are sure as hell not going to put up with that. So we HAVE to accommodate IE6. Additionally, as Chucky mentioned you have others such as corporations that are locked into IE6 because of other products that coded to those poor standards MS used. As a web designer who wants to get paid, you have to account for those users or your clients will go elsewhere.

So yeah, the guy who wrote this article has his head in the clouds or up something.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/15/11 at 5:05 pm

IE6 has been a bane to me(it's shot now anyway, due to a hacker sent virus).

I've been having to rely on Opera though, which is better than IE6, but there are some issues I have with it.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/15/11 at 9:27 pm

I use Chrome I find it the fastest with the least bloat, I haven't used IE 6 since like 2005 and definitely wouldn't touch it in 2011.

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/11 at 11:47 pm

IE6 does not have tabs, and once you have those, it's not possible to go back to a browser that doesn't have them.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/11 at 6:59 am

I use Chrome I find it the fastest with the least bloat, I haven't used IE 6 since like 2005 and definitely wouldn't touch it in 2011.

I thought they were upgrading to IE9? ???

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 05/28/11 at 8:33 am

IE6 does not have tabs, and once you have those, it's not possible to go back to a browser that doesn't have them.

Thats true but there is an add-on you can get that will add tabs to IE6 :)

I use MyIE2 to surf and that does have tabs.. (MyIE2 is an IE add-on (It accesses the IE engine))

Check for new replies or respond here...