inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Emperor penguin from Antarctic visits New Zealand beach

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/11 at 3:57 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53546000/jpg/_53546667_012265421-1.jpg

A young emperor penguin, normally found in the Antarctic, has turned up on a New Zealand beach.

It is a rare event, the first confirmed sighting of an Emperor penguin in New Zealand in 44 years.

"I saw this glistening white thing standing up and I thought I was seeing things," said Christine Wilton, who found it while walking her dog.

The department of conservation is baffled by how it arrived, saying it may have taken a wrong turn.

"It's amazing to see one of these penguins on the Kapiti coast," says the department's Peter Simpson.

The visitor has attracted crowds of onlookers, who are being advised not to disturb the penguin and keep their dogs on leads.

Conservation experts say the bird is a juvenile, about 10 months old and 32in (80cm) tall.

Emperor penguins are the tallest and largest of all penguin species, growing up to 4ft (122cm) high and weighing more than 75lb (34kg).

Colin Miskelly, a penguin expert at Te Papa, New Zealand's national museum, said the bird was likely born during the last Antarctic winter.

It may have been searching for squid and krill when it took a wrong turn and arrived on New Zealand's North Island.

"Usually they stay among the pack ice," said Mr Miskelly.

"This one just kept going north and it's a very long way from its usual range."

Subject: Re: Emperor penguin from Antarctic visits New Zealand beach

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/11 at 1:36 am

A penguin (penguins is practically chickens!) that far north?  Must be trying to get back home to...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/bugs+n+penguin1288304881.jpg

...Hoboken?  Oooooh, I'm dyin' again!

(Pardon me, Sir, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?)

Check for new replies or respond here...