inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black Friday Shopping

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/22/11 at 6:01 am

Ok, I have been black Friday shopping for like the past 30 years.  I am ok with waking up at 3 am, loading up on coffee, parking in the back of the parking lot, to avoid jams and time wastes, walking into a store getting what i want and getting out as quickly as tge line allows.  But if i don't get it - oh well; i do not fly into histerics... This year I am all sorts of put out! I hate the fact tgat they are starting deals at 10-12 Thanksgiving night, now I have to leave family gatherings, get no sleep, and try - ummm don't think do (it does not even sound safe to me, with tired crazy shoppers on the road).  I would have to have a babysitter leave their gatherings as well.  And the poor store employees!

So I am probably cyber shopping! If anyone else is, I thought this might be a good idea to pool resources and try and get a good deal.  My two big buys are iPod touch (4g), and iPad (although I doubt sales on this, but who knows); accessary bundles would work with these as well! 

What r u looking for?

Subject: Re: Black Friday Shopping

Written By: Dagwood on 11/22/11 at 7:03 am

I really only have one present left, except for stocking stuff. 

Friday at 12:30 I am taking Sarah and her friend to the new Twilight movie.  While they are there, I will probably go get that last present.  She is getting a bottle of Justin Bieber perfume.  Gag but she loves it so there you go. ;D  None of that going out in the middle of the night for me. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/11 at 9:29 am

My mom saw a news brief last night....apparently one fool is already in line for some store somewhere in the greater Phoenix area  ::)

For the first time in yrs I have blk fri off. I figure since I have nothing to do thurs I would go wait on line at best buy---- I want that 42 in tv and 250gb xbox 360 at $199 each..... But the money I got for my "birthday" went to bills & gas.  I only have $75 on my credit card and best buy has wisely denied me credit so I guess I'm staying home. Next yr I'm doing it for sure.

I'ma start buying myself gift cards to best buy maybe, if I can swing it, 20 bucks a month. Then next yr I'll. Have a cool 240 bucks to buy something

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/11 at 10:04 am

Ok, I have been black Friday shopping for like the past 30 years.  I am ok with waking up at 3 am, loading up on coffee, parking in the back of the parking lot, to avoid jams and time wastes, walking into a store getting what i want and getting out as quickly as tge line allows.  But if i don't get it - oh well; i do not fly into histerics... This year I am all sorts of put out! I hate the fact that they are starting deals at 10-12 Thanksgiving night, now I have to leave family gatherings, get no sleep, and try - ummm don't think do (it does not even sound safe to me, with tired crazy shoppers on the road). I would have to have a babysitter leave their gatherings as well.  And the poor store employees!

The thing is you never HAVE to, no one HAS to, you may WANT to, but having to and wanting to are two different to's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/11 at 11:36 am

I REFUSE to go shopping on Black Friday. I have more fun shopping on-line. I can search many stores looking for just what I want at the best prices, I don't have to stand in line & fight crowds, and I don't even have to get dress if I don't want to. I will probably go shopping on Saturday since it is Buy Local Saturday-which I think is a FABULOUS idea. I'm hoping that everyone will buy something on Saturday at a local store (NOT a chain). The question is, which store to buy from?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/11 at 11:46 am

I'm a small business shopper.

http://carycitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/small-business-saturday.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/11 at 11:49 am

Yeah, that's it. I called it Buy Local Saturday but it is basically the same thing.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/11 at 1:58 pm

There's no way in hell I'll go shopping on Black Friday.  It's just not worth it to me.  I have a low tolerance for idiots at the store on a normal day - Black Friday would probably push me right over the edge.

I do dig on Small Business Saturday though.  I will definitely participate in that!  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/22/11 at 7:01 pm

The thing is you never HAVE to, no one HAS to, you may WANT to, but having to and wanting to are two different to's.

You are right!  Which is why I am not going!  I am trying to cyber shop online!

Written By: Howard on 11/23/11 at 6:36 am

You are right!  Which is why I am not going!  I am trying to cyber shop online!

It's better to shop online rather than to wait in line so that way you can avoid the screaming and pushing and the little annoyances as well.

Written By: wildcard on 11/23/11 at 11:50 pm

I'm not a material person.  No interest in possibly getting myself killed going out on Black Friday.  Now that my mom lets me use Amazon, I shop online.  Stores in Modesto don't even have what websites say their stores carry anyway.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/24/11 at 6:56 am

I'm siding with Cat, wildcard, *Ash*, D&M, and Howard on this one...

Why the hell do I need more stuff when I already have it? ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/24/11 at 7:18 am

I was just thinking: Is there a such thing as "White Friday"?

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/24/11 at 7:27 am

Unless if you want a letter from Al Sharpton saying otherwise...

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/24/11 at 7:46 am

I don't shop on Black Friday...never have.  My sister-in-law does and she starts planning weeks before.  If there was anything that I wanted all I need to do tell her what it is and give her the money and she would get it for me.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/11 at 7:55 am

Unless if you want a letter from Al Sharpton saying otherwise...

;D

Written By: wildcard on 11/24/11 at 11:33 am

Macy's has a white flower day

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/11 at 12:18 pm

Linen sales are called white sales.  Usually happens after memorial day or maybe it's labor day.

Black Friday marks the start of Christmas shopping.  It's called black Friday because retailers make a profit that day....in other words they are in the black, not the red.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/11 at 12:49 pm

Well - I got an iPod (8) for my sister-in-law this morning from Best Buy, with a $50 gift certificate...  I did not buy it for my daughter, because I want the larger one (32).  I just heard they are all sold out now.

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/11 at 1:34 pm

Well - I got an iPod (8) for my sister-in-law this morning from Best Buy, with a $50 gift certificate...  I did not buy it for my daughter, because I want the larger one (32).  I just heard they are all sold out now.

Awesome!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/11 at 1:45 pm

Awesome!
yah but still nothing for my kid  :-\\  I might have screwed up....

by going for the larger one - that is

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/11 at 1:55 pm

For all of you who are planning to face the mob tomorrow-whenever you can, please BUY AMERICAN! Or at least DON'T BUY CHINA!!!!

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/24/11 at 2:26 pm

For all of you who are planning to face the mob tomorrow-whenever you can, please BUY AMERICAN! Or at least DON'T BUY CHINA!!!!

Cat
Is apple close enough???  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/11 at 2:28 pm

Is apple close enough???   :-\\

Unfortunately, no computers are made in the U.S.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/25/11 at 6:25 pm

Or at least DON'T BUY CHINA!!!!

OK, fine.  But can I at least get some flatware and a couple of wine glasses?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/11 at 6:29 pm

OK, fine.  But can I at least get some flatware and a couple of wine glasses?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Unfortunately, you can't buy flatware that is made in the U.S. anymore.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/11 at 6:44 pm

Black Friday is more or less the same as Boxing Day (December 26) here in Canada:  Crazy sales, super line-ups.  Last Dec. 26, I waited outside Best Buy in the long line-up for over 3 hours just so I could get 2 for 1 Playstation Move games.  Was it worth it?  Not really.  I had to work that day, and after waiting 3 hours to get into Best Buy, I waited about another hour just to pay lol

Written By: Jessica on 11/25/11 at 7:04 pm

We're participating in this by invading our local comic book store. :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/11 at 7:28 pm

O0

Written By: Howard on 11/25/11 at 7:31 pm

Black Friday is more or less the same as Boxing Day (December 26) here in Canada:  Crazy sales, super line-ups.  Last Dec. 26, I waited outside Best Buy in the long line-up for over 3 hours just so I could get 2 for 1 Playstation Move games.  Was it worth it?  Not really.  I had to work that day, and after waiting 3 hours to get into Best Buy, I waited about another hour just to pay lol

It must have been tough for all that waiting.

Written By: Jessica on 11/25/11 at 8:29 pm

O0

Check it out: First Aid Comics

This was a commercial that ran for a little bit on local television.  Cracked me up.

1clXO3tEI7Y

He's moved to a bigger store now on a busier street, so that makes me happy.  Means he's doing enough business to survive and thrive. :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/11 at 9:04 pm

Check it out: First Aid Comics

This was a commercial that ran for a little bit on local television.  Cracked me up.

1clXO3tEI7Y

He's moved to a bigger store now on a busier street, so that makes me happy.  Means he's doing enough business to survive and thrive. :)

;D

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/11 at 11:24 pm

;D

The white dude at the end is the owner.  Super cool man.  If he were hiring, I'd totally work there.

We went today to browse his store.  Packed to the rafters. :o

Walked away with a couple of TinTin books for Rice Cube Jason, 20% off.

Then I went a few doors down to the Fair Trader store.  I love that shop, but it is a wee bit hefty for our price range right now.  I may go back and buy some of those Brazil Nut candles though.  Absolutely lovely.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/26/11 at 11:49 pm

We also supported our local comic book/role-playing game store today!  8)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/11 at 9:44 am

The white dude at the end is the owner.  Super cool man.  If he were hiring, I'd totally work there.

We went today to browse his store.  Packed to the rafters. :o

Walked away with a couple of TinTin books for Rice Cube Jason, 20% off.

Then I went a few doors down to the Fair Trader store.  I love that shop, but it is a wee bit hefty for our price range right now.  I may go back and buy some of those Brazil Nut candles though.  Absolutely lovely.

good stuff.... hope Rice Cube  erm Jason loves his Tin Tin books  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/11 at 9:46 am

We also supported our local comic book/role-playing game store today!  8)

O0

I supported a local franchise restaurant by buying lunch....sorry, with my work schedule and bank account status it's all I could muster.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/11 at 6:14 pm

O0

I supported a local franchise restaurant by buying lunch....sorry, with my work schedule and bank account status it's all I could muster.
We bought our Christmas tree at a local farm, not a Lowes/walmart/menard's lot...  ANd I purchased some hand crafted ornaments at a "made in Iowa store" and I bought some wine at the local vineyard!  O0

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/11 at 6:15 pm

We bought our Christmas tree at a local farm, not a Lowes/walmart/menard's lot...  ANd I purchased some hand crafted ornaments at a "made in Iowa store" and I bought some wine at the local vineyard!  O0

good job!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/11 at 11:17 pm

I've never gone shopping on Black Friday until last Friday. went to a Walmart way out in the country at 730am and it wasn't crowded and I picked up a nice tv, took about 20min to go in, find it, pay for it and get back to my car.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...