inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Your Charity?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/11 at 5:46 am

If you give to charity, or would start a charity, what is it, or what would it be?  First off of course would be the "In the 00's Home for Wayward Posters",  but after that?  My favorite, at the moment, is Doctors Without Borders and the local food pantries. If I were to set up a charity in my name my ideas are a charity that went around visibly and plainly marking all the public walkways that are being quietly stolen by development or people who think they own the world.  Then safe, sustainable housing communities for people with special needs.

Subject: Re: What's Your Charity?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/29/11 at 7:14 am

I don't know, but it would be something to do with kids.  A home for the abused or unwanted children.  Somewhere they can find the love they need.  I have a huge soft spot in my heart for kids.

Right now I sponsor a little girl through Compassion International.  It is so fun getting letters and pictures, watching her grow up.

http://www.compassion.com/

Also, I do what I can to donate to the homeless shelter and the local food bank.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/11 at 7:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJvbZZWt9g4

The Human Fund  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/29/11 at 8:45 am

I support The Animal Defense League, they offer financial assistance for spay/neuter, Fostering homeless pets and adoption.

I also donate to the local food pantry.

I'm not sure what my charity would be if I started one...something to do with animals probably.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/11 at 10:54 am

Heifer International. https://secure1.heifer.org/gift-catalog.html/?msource=kw2792&gclid=CKWM2sbdp60CFaQRNAodMgKfmQ

What I like about them is that they don't just feed people but give them a way to feed themselves. In other words-it gives them a livelihood. Which reminds me, I need to donate-which I have been meaning to do.  :-Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/29/11 at 2:39 pm

I would give food and clothes to the homeless, that's my charity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/11 at 3:14 pm

I used to work for a charity, my heart is still with them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/11 at 3:26 pm

I used to work for a charity, my heart is still with them.

So did I-well, it was volunteer work. I ran the local food shelf for a while, and served on the board of directors of the parent organization. I felt that I really made a difference in many people's lives. I would love to do it again but the people involved in the organization basically pushed me out because I wasn't part of their clique. They lost one hell of a volunteer. That was about 8 years ago and I'm still angry about it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 6:42 pm

I always wanted to start a charity called 'Extra For Your Cause'  basically it would've entailed me contacting various producers and  offering to donate a specific amount of money for a one time shot to be a background actor in their TV series.....then I found charitybuzz.com

One of the best eps of Taxi is when Jm gives everyone some money but stipulates that they must give it away or do something nice for someone.  As a result I have always wanted to just walk into stores and give random people gift cards or cash... I've never done it but I think it would be fun.  One day I was driving by the library in the poorer part of town and saw about 50 ppl lined up for the food bank truck.  It broke my heart and more than anything I wish I could've just hit the grocery store down the street and got them all $100 gift cards.  

I've feed the homeless. Adopted familes. As I mentioned recently in another thread helped put on a party for children of migrant farm workers. It's been a while since I've done those things tho... lately I've walked for AIDS, Autism, and Breast Cancer... I probably raised about $1,000.   When I'm at the store I always (well almost always) buy those little cards for a cause of choice.  Our local grocery stores offer food bags for the local food banks. I bought 5 this year.    And I give to the Salvation Army when I see the bell ringers... all little things but in the spirit of giving its what I can do right now.  

Also, the paley center is a non-profit so every event I attend is a donation to the organization.  I would volunteer but then I wouldn't be able to get those awesome pics I get  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/11 at 7:24 pm

I always wanted to start a charity called 'Extra For Your Cause'  basically it would've entailed me contacting various producers and  offering to donate a specific amount of money for a one time shot to be a background actor in their TV series.....then I found charitybuzz.com

One of the best eps of Taxi is when Jm gives everyone some money but stipulates that they must give it away or do something nice for someone.  As a result I have always wanted to just walk into stores and give random people gift cards or cash... I've never done it but I think it would be fun.  One day I was driving by the library in the poorer part of town and saw about 50 ppl lined up for the food bank truck.  It broke my heart and more than anything I wish I could've just hit the grocery store down the street and got them all $100 gift cards.  

I've feed the homeless. Adopted familes. As I mentioned recently in another thread helped put on a party for children of migrant farm workers. It's been a while since I've done those things tho... lately I've walked for AIDS, Autism, and Breast Cancer... I probably raised about $1,000.   When I'm at the store I always (well almost always) buy those little cards for a cause of choice.  Our local grocery stores offer food bags for the local food banks. I bought 5 this year.    And I give to the Salvation Army when I see the bell ringers... all little things but in the spirit of giving its what I can do right now.  

Also, the paley center is a non-profit so every event I attend is a donation to the organization.  I would volunteer but then I wouldn't be able to get those awesome pics I get  ;)

That's just fantastic!    :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 7:40 pm

That's just fantastic!    :)

I consider it a deposit in the karma bank to counter act the hundreds of horrible thoughts I have a day about people!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 8:26 pm

A friend of mine posted this on FB....  it's basically a video about paying if forward. 

the cinematography is pretty awesome considering the whole thing is shot in one long take.  but the stupid girl at the paring meter is trying to pay for what? her invisible car.... I wish they'd caught that lil issue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwAYpLVyeFU

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/11 at 8:55 pm

I consider it a deposit in the karma bank to counter act the hundreds of horrible thoughts I have a day about people!  :D

We have so much in common  ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/11 at 9:13 pm

We've sponsored several kids in Thailand and one in the poorer, rural region of Kentucky.  We donate to a local church that hels homeless families.  We've donated for Vets.  We've sent cards to current military soldiers.  We do alot of things with a poor family near us.  Give them rides to the hospital and clinic and grocery store, among other things.  There are so many deserving people in need, I just wish I was better at managing my own money to be able to help more people.  I shop at thrift stores that take their proceeds to help various charities.  I've helped random people in the grocery line with paying for their groceries.  Once, when I was young and foolish and broke, somebody helped me get gasoline at the gas station, and I've never forgotten that.  I want to do that to someone. 

When we moved, we stopped at a rest stop, this lady was crying on the pay phone, saying she'd left her wallet at the last rest stop and didn't have the gas to go back to it.  So I gave her my last $20.  After I came out of the restroom, I saw her talking to two guys down the way, I'm now sure it was a scam.  *sigh* but my heart was in the right place.

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 9:33 pm

We have so much in common   ::)

O0

I like being in good company!

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/29/11 at 10:46 pm

We've sponsored several kids in Thailand and one in the poorer, rural region of Kentucky.  We donate to a local church that hels homeless families.  We've donated for Vets.  We've sent cards to current military soldiers.  We do alot of things with a poor family near us.  Give them rides to the hospital and clinic and grocery store, among other things.  There are so many deserving people in need, I just wish I was better at managing my own money to be able to help more people.  I shop at thrift stores that take their proceeds to help various charities.  I've helped random people in the grocery line with paying for their groceries.  Once, when I was young and foolish and broke, somebody helped me get gasoline at the gas station, and I've never forgotten that.  I want to do that to someone. 

When we moved, we stopped at a rest stop, this lady was crying on the pay phone, saying she'd left her wallet at the last rest stop and didn't have the gas to go back to it.  So I gave her my last $20.  After I came out of the restroom, I saw her talking to two guys down the way, I'm now sure it was a scam.  *sigh* but my heart was in the right place.

I've had they happen to me, when I worked at a dry cleaners in the Staten Island Ferry Terminal I would give this homeless guy money every few days until he came in and picked up his dry cleaning!! :o. From then on I would never give cash but would by breakfast or lunch or the homeless people I saw.

Oh, we also raise money for Relay or Life.

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 10:49 pm

yeah I gave this couple gas and they swore they would send me money back...they never did but then again I was pretty sure they wouldn't.
javascript:void(0);

I once bought 2 gals of gas for some dude in LA...not cuz I felt bad for him but because I was on the bluetooth trying to have a conversation and just wanted him to go away and stop talking to me.

I once gave this homeless woman $10 and she hugged me  8-P  

I once got stopped by this guy outside a grocery store. I offered to buy him food. but told him it'd be 15mins because I was getting some groceries.... I got him a sandwich some chips, fruit and water and when I came out he was gone...  ::)  so I found some other homeless dude and gave it to him.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 7:08 am

I once gave this homeless woman $10 and she hugged me

Wow I bet you needed a hot shower after that encounter.  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/11 at 12:05 pm

The past several years, Rutland has had a Secret Santa. Some guy went around town and handed out Christmas cards. Each card contained $10, $20, or $50.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20111223/NEWS01/712239905

By Brent Curtis
STAFF WRITER - Published: December 23, 2011

Christmas is still two days away, but Rutland’s Secret Santa signaled Thursday that he’s finished his rounds for the year.

“I will slip back into the shadows till next year ...” the mysterious benefactor wrote in his latest letter left surreptitiously at the Rutland Herald’s doorstep.

Since 2007, the anonymous Santa has handed out good tidings in the form of cash to people he meets on the city’s streets.

Seemingly driven by the need to share his holiday cheer, the Secret Santa has said in the past that he’s a native Vermonter and by no means rich — except when it comes to Christmas spirit.

And this year in particular saw a need for elevating spirit, he wrote.

“Our hometown, region and state have found more than their fair share of challenges this year, to be sure, from Mother Nature’s cruel lashings to the harsh realities of the world’s economic ugliness,” he said.

“Yet there is goodwill, it seems around every corner if one cares to find it,” he continued.

Not everyone, he knows, shares his love of the holidays, but in his rounds throughout the downtown, he said he has seen “nothing more remarkable ... than the goodwill of others.”

And it’s a sight he plans to see again next year as he promises “no doubt whatever about that.”

@Tagline:brent.curtis

@rutlandherald.com

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/11 at 12:29 pm

The past several years, Rutland has had a Secret Santa. Some guy went around town and handed out Christmas cards. Each card contained $10, $20, or $50.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20111223/NEWS01/712239905

By Brent Curtis
STAFF WRITER - Published: December 23, 2011

Christmas is still two days away, but Rutland’s Secret Santa signaled Thursday that he’s finished his rounds for the year.

“I will slip back into the shadows till next year ...” the mysterious benefactor wrote in his latest letter left surreptitiously at the Rutland Herald’s doorstep.

Since 2007, the anonymous Santa has handed out good tidings in the form of cash to people he meets on the city’s streets.

Seemingly driven by the need to share his holiday cheer, the Secret Santa has said in the past that he’s a native Vermonter and by no means rich — except when it comes to Christmas spirit.

And this year in particular saw a need for elevating spirit, he wrote.

“Our hometown, region and state have found more than their fair share of challenges this year, to be sure, from Mother Nature’s cruel lashings to the harsh realities of the world’s economic ugliness,” he said.

“Yet there is goodwill, it seems around every corner if one cares to find it,” he continued.

Not everyone, he knows, shares his love of the holidays, but in his rounds throughout the downtown, he said he has seen “nothing more remarkable ... than the goodwill of others.”

And it’s a sight he plans to see again next year as he promises “no doubt whatever about that.”

@Tagline:brent.curtis

@rutlandherald.com

Cat

that's cool

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/30/11 at 4:48 pm

that's cool

I've been reading about anonymous people who pay off random people's merchandise lay-aways.  Especially ones that were just about to expire because of non-payment of the scheduled payment.  I think that's a nice idea too.  One store (I forget which) wouldn't let someone pay off the lay-away of someone else due to privacy issues or something.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/11 at 4:50 pm

I've been reading about anonymous people who pay off random people's merchandise lay-aways.  Especially ones that were just about to expire because of non-payment of the scheduled payment.  I think that's a nice idea too.  One store (I forget which) wouldn't let someone pay off the lay-away of someone else due to privacy issues or something.   :-\\

yeah after reading that stuff about people paying down the kmart layaways for people with little kids I totally wanted to run to my store and do that but I only had a few buck left in my own account  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/11 at 5:15 pm

All of these stories really renews my hope for humanity.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/11 at 12:07 am

I've been reading about anonymous people who pay off random people's merchandise lay-aways.  Especially ones that were just about to expire because of non-payment of the scheduled payment.  I think that's a nice idea too.  One store (I forget which) wouldn't let someone pay off the lay-away of someone else due to privacy issues or something.   :-\\

Cash is fungible, Anonymous, and (for all practical purposes) untraceable.  If a donor uses cash, he or she doesn't need to know the name of the person on the customer's side of the counter.  The dude on the clerk's side of the counter doesn't need to know any names either, as long as the money's green.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Let a man have a cow, man, and he can afford to get some beer for while he's fishin'.

I claim no moral high ground.  I typically wander through technology or gaming museums, and mumble something akin to "shut up and take my money!" on my way out the door.  Whatever I'm lucky to make in Vegas, stays in Vegas.  Cash is king.

Written By: Paco on 12/31/11 at 2:15 pm

I like it "Cash is king".

Did you know even Vaticano has a bank ?

Handling out dough is charity, no doubts, it's a simple way to put a lid on a hole. But for me it's a drop of water in the dessert.

I used to throw some nickels out in a hat but since mendicity is a good business I keep my wallet watertight whenever I stroll in town.

Behind the will of charity usually hides the wish of getting wealthy huge and fast.
Now we have the Urdangarin affair.  Lots of money right into his pocket, in behalf of a sponsoring office.

Time and pay attention to others is the best we can do,  as well as fair business and commerce all over the world.

Maybe Maxwell has right saying capitalism has firstly dies for a better wolrd to achieve.

Good wishes

Paco

Check for new replies or respond here...