inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In this thread, we try and write something you can't understand due to...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/12 at 2:59 pm

... the profanity filter.

The subject of the profanity filter comes up now and again, and SMF 2 allows me to disable the profanity filter on a per board basis or even for certain themes.  I don't really see a need for it though, because anything you can write that gets filtered should still be understandable to anyone old enough to know what it is you're talking about.

Subject: Re: In this thread, we try and write something you can't understand due to...

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/12 at 3:32 pm

sheesh is this really fudgeing issue?

Subject: Re: In this thread, we try and write something you can't understand due to...

Written By: Howard on 01/06/12 at 3:42 pm

what the fudge?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/06/12 at 5:00 pm

I don't understand...  ;)

Written By: wildcard on 01/06/12 at 5:03 pm

me neither

Written By: Dagwood on 01/06/12 at 6:48 pm

Personally, I like the  profanity filter.  It makes rants much more hilarious. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/12 at 7:24 pm

Bollox!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/07/12 at 9:34 pm

... the profanity filter.

The subject of the profanity filter comes up now and again, and SMF 2 allows me to disable the profanity filter on a per board basis or even for certain themes.  I don't really see a need for it though, because anything you can write that gets filtered should still be understandable to anyone old enough to know what it is you're talking about.

Only time I've ever encountered an issue was when I tried to describe a mug and had to use a URL shortener.  Instead of the somewhat ambiguous "sicko", how about a "goat, see"? 

(For the record, I do agree that in 99.9999% of use cases, we do want any URL that Those Six Letters Which Shall Not Appear Together to break :)

Written By: gibbo on 01/07/12 at 10:52 pm

Only time I've ever encountered an issue was when I tried to describe a mug and had to use a URL shortener.  Instead of the somewhat ambiguous "sicko", how about a "goat, see"? 

(For the record, I do agree that in 99.9999% of use cases, we do want any URL that Those Six Letters Which Shall Not Appear Together to break :)

Man ... you fudge one goat ... and it stays with you for life!

Written By: Henk on 01/08/12 at 12:56 am

So... I finally purchased a copy of Asheesha no Jo ... in S(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)horpe, of all places!  :D

Oh yeah, that's totally understandable. ::)

Written By: karen on 01/08/12 at 5:15 am

So... I finally purchased a copy of Asheesha no Jo ... in S(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)horpe, of all places!  :D

Oh yeah, that's totally understandable. ::)

That place name is a real problem for many profanity filters.  On some very strict UK sites the football team Arsenal was also a problem.

Does this website still change bitch to pregnant dog?

eta: I guess not

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/12 at 11:23 am

To tell you the truth, I kind of like the filters. It is not that object to the use of certain language, I know that I have used a few "colorful metaphors" as Spock calls them. I find when people use them too much, it really distracts to what they are saying. With the filters, most people will use *** or other euphemisms if they REALLY need to use something that is filtered-but it is used sparely which gives it more meaning and doesn't distract.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/08/12 at 3:46 pm

so the f word will change to fudge and the s word will change to sheesh?

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/12 at 3:47 pm

so the f word will change to fudge and the s word will change to sheesh?

it always has.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/12 at 3:49 pm

it always has.

I would like to curse my brains out but I guess that will be on someone else's board.

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/12 at 3:53 pm

I would like to curse my brains out but I guess that will be on someone else's board.

you can curse if you want...just typing the words can be cathartic but the words will change once you hit post.... or you can be f*cking creative in how you focking type the friggin' words.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/12 at 4:40 pm

you can curse if you want...just typing the words can be cathartic but the words will change once you hit post.... or you can be f*cking creative in how you focking type the friggin' words.

So you can type fock but no "U"?

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/12 at 6:32 pm

So you can type fock but no "U"?

you could type f-u-c-k but that might get you banned

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/12 at 6:38 pm

Then I hate to break this to you, but you might get banned :D
:P

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/12 at 7:56 pm

Then I hate to break this to you, but you might get banned :D
:P

naw they love me!!! besides it's not my fault they didn't block that particular typing of it.

Written By: wildcard on 01/08/12 at 8:05 pm

Ann do not think Village people parody right now

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/09/12 at 12:02 am

Yosemite Sam cursed in ways we couldn't understand  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDxPG3KrtA

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 6:32 am

I'd rather not, don't want to get banned again.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 6:33 am

naw they love me!!! besides it's not my fault they didn't block that particular typing of it.

They should allow it, Let's push the envelope a bit.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 6:37 am

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/12 at 11:13 am

That reminds me of the father in the movie A Christmas Story.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 01/09/12 at 11:26 am

I don't understand Q - bert

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 7:45 pm

I would like to have my curse and cuss words unfiltered.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/09/12 at 11:24 pm

The subject of the profanity filter comes up now and again, and SMF 2 allows me to disable the profanity filter on a per board basis or even for certain themes.

I'm fine with the filter keeping most of our chatter here PG.  It keeps us on somewhat decent behavior.  But if we have the ability to do so on a per-board basis, there might be a case to be made for relaxing it on the lyrics board.  If a song happens to feature a naughty word in its lyrics, it could well be the only line some people will remember.  And they're never going to find it if Google indexes that line of the board in a form that contains the word "fudge"...

This is more of an edge case than it might have been ten years ago; there probably aren't that many songs left that both contain naughty words and for which the lyrics haven't already been accurately transcribed elsewhere.  Your board, your rules, your call.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/12 at 11:16 am

I'm fine with the filter keeping most of our chatter here PG.  It keeps us on somewhat decent behavior.  But if we have the ability to do so on a per-board basis, there might be a case to be made for relaxing it on the lyrics board.  If a song happens to feature a naughty word in its lyrics, it could well be the only line some people will remember.  And they're never going to find it if Google indexes that line of the board in a form that contains the word "fudge"...

This is more of an edge case than it might have been ten years ago; there probably aren't that many songs left that both contain naughty words and for which the lyrics haven't already been accurately transcribed elsewhere.  Your board, your rules, your call.

That makes sense.

Cat

Written By: Midas on 01/26/12 at 10:10 pm

bullsheesh motherfudgeer bitch ass ho asshole butthead

Sorry, was having a moment.  Carry on...

Written By: Step-chan on 01/26/12 at 10:13 pm

sheesh man, these ponies are fudgeing awesome!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/12 at 6:54 am

Sorry, was having a moment.  Carry on...

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/28/12 at 2:53 am

Well, if it's going to be that kind of party, then...

LTmHS-T5dLA

...then I can't show you what the Beastie Boys would do the mashed potatoes, but maybe I can link to Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 3 (2003), episode 10, "The Grand Opening".

I'm stone cold sober.  It's the Tourette's.  Swear to Dobbs!

Written By: Howard on 01/28/12 at 6:39 am

Well, if it's going to be that kind of party, then...

LTmHS-T5dLA

...then I can't show you what the Beastie Boys would do the mashed potatoes, but maybe I can link to Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 3 (2003), episode 10, "The Grand Opening".

I'm stone cold sober.  It's the Tourette's.  Swear to Dobbs!

HAHAHA!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...