inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Science Fair Project Ideas...HELP!!!

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/24/12 at 11:52 am

OK, we need ideas. 

Megan has to do a science fair project and she wants to do a volcano but I have a feeling that a lot of kids will do this.  When I was a kid my dad took over and basically did our projects for us so I have terrible memories of Science Fair time.  ;D

So far we've thought of:
Volcano
Potato Battery (or a lemon)

AND that's it... ;D

I've though of making paper from old scraps of paper but I'm not sure.

So, if anyone has any ideas or if their child(or grandchild, or any family memeber)has done a science project could you please share your ideas.  Megan is in 5th grade so we need something that an 11 year old could do (with minimal help.). 

Thanks!!

Subject: Re: Science Fair Project Ideas...HELP!!!

Written By: karen on 01/24/12 at 12:09 pm

We did

does heart rate increase when exercising in a cold environment (Dai stepping up and down the hall stairs and then outside on the decking)

what food goes mouldy first.  bread, cheese and apple

Written By: karen on 01/24/12 at 1:25 pm

there seems to be loads of ideas here

this is the packet we got from the elementary school.  Page 7 has loads of titles on it.  I remember projects on dish soap bubbles, the geranium/food dye, paper aeroplanes, cleaning pennies in juice and ketchup and measuring boys v girls in height.  Interestingly they added one on how far can you lean forwards - that was one of James's projects!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/12 at 2:30 pm

there seems to be loads of ideas here

this is the packet we got from the elementary school.  Page 7 has loads of titles on it.  I remember projects on dish soap bubbles, the geranium/food dye, paper aeroplanes, cleaning pennies in juice and ketchup and measuring boys v girls in height.  Interestingly they added one on how far can you lean forwards - that was one of James's projects!  ;D

That cleaning pennies makes me cringe because any numismatist will tell you not to clean coins-it can devalue them.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/12 at 3:18 pm

I am the Science Curriculum Secretary for Utah's largest school district.  I think it's safe to say that I hate Science Fair more than anything!  It is the single biggest even that I have to put together, and it's just insane.

However, because I love you Carol, I will list the some of the winning projects done by elementary school students from last year's Salt Lake Valley Regional Science Fair.  I don't have information on their individual projects, but hopefully this will give you some ideas.

P.S.  The lemon/potato battery project has been done a million times...

Absorbency VS. Cost - paper towels
Are Child Resistant Containers effective?
Cell phones and Driving
Fresh or Frozen
Ever Fresh Bags: do they really work?
Enamel Eaters: do drinks affect teeth? 
How wing shapes affect flight
What do color blind people see?
Diaper Duty - which diaper holds the most liquid?
When Put In A Burlap Bag, Which Material Is The Most Effective To Help With Flood Control: Sand, Soil, Or Gravel?

There are more, of course, but I think these look the easiest.  ;)

Here are more project ideas from the site: http://slvsef.org/abstracts/elementary

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/24/12 at 3:56 pm

I am the Science Curriculum Secretary for Utah's largest school district.  I think it's safe to say that I hate Science Fair more than anything!  It is the single biggest even that I have to put together, and it's just insane.

However, because I love you Carol, I will list the some of the winning projects done by elementary school students from last year's Salt Lake Valley Regional Science Fair.  I don't have information on their individual projects, but hopefully this will give you some ideas.

P.S.  The lemon/potato battery project has been done a million times...

Absorbency VS. Cost - paper towels
Are Child Resistant Containers effective?
Cell phones and Driving
Fresh or Frozen
Ever Fresh Bags: do they really work?
Enamel Eaters: do drinks affect teeth? 
How wing shapes affect flight
What do color blind people see?
Diaper Duty - which diaper holds the most liquid?
When Put In A Burlap Bag, Which Material Is The Most Effective To Help With Flood Control: Sand, Soil Or Gravel?
There are more, of course, but I think these look the easiest.  ;)

Here are more project ideas from the site: http://slvsef.org/abstracts/elementary

THANK YOU!!!!

WOW!!  These projects are crazy good...I feel stupid now!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/12 at 10:02 pm

Ash you're the what of Utahs huh?  :D
so Ash... What was the result of the drag bags experiment?

Carol you'll probably go with Ash's ideas - wise choice  ;)
But I work with a science nerd and since I had to listen to her tell me about it you're getting this idea dammit!  >:(

So she said she quite enjoyed a static electricity exhibit

Get a decent sized cardboard box & paint it black. Inside too I think. Get two pieces of fabric like wool. Cut two holes on each side of box. People stick their hands in and rub tge fabric together apparently if you cut a hole for viewing too you can see static the static when the fabric is rubbed together. 

Written By: karen on 01/25/12 at 2:07 am

the paper towel experiment was something James did as a class thing in 3rd grade.  I went into help with them.

The ever fresh bag one would be quite easy to do but it depends on time scales.  When is the science fair?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/12 at 1:04 pm

The one a classmate of mine did that I always remember, was involving how many numbers people can remember. Recite four numbers, have the person recite them back.  Try again with five, etc. until they can't recall them perfectly.  Most people can't get past 7 or 8 which is why phone numbers are broken into blocks of three and four digits.   

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/25/12 at 4:32 pm

I still don't know what she's gonna do.  The project needs to be done by February 13 or 14 or 15...I need to go through the girl's book bag and see if the is a note in there somewhere.  ::)

I like projects that require being artistic not scientific.  We're good at painting, glueing, designing and printing materials.  ;D. Like last year's project...HOW TO TYE-DYE A T-SHIRT.  :D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/25/12 at 6:03 pm

I helped my grandson with a very easy project that required very little work. He titled it,
"Water displacement: why ships float." I made him a metal pan in work that floated beautifully
but you don't really need that. Search for household items such as bowls, dishes, pots, pans
even some ashtrays will work. Test to see what floats, do a little online research about water
displacement and there you go, a science project.

PS. He added similar shaped objects that didn't float to further prove the point.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/25/12 at 10:27 pm

Cell phones and Driving

That could be a lot of fun.  Pick a game that can be played with one hand, and have a cell phone conversation.  Record 5-10 scores (alternating with phone, without phone) across 5-10 friends, and do a little math.

Here's another site with tons of ideas; (at first glance, the wind tunnel looks simple enough, and depending on how nanny-statish the school is, it involves neither fire nor electricity nor projectiles.)  Instructables would be another site worth poking around for inspiration.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/26/12 at 12:13 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give Megan a few of these ideas to make a decision on.  Nothing too hard 'cause momma will have to help her.  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/26/12 at 12:34 pm

One other tip, Carol - be sure to read and follow the Science Fair rules.  They SHOULD be on your school's or district's website.  Perfect example: we do not allow students to enter projects where there is mold involved unless they grow the mold in a lab (at school, etc.  We also have a local lab that allows our students access.)  If they grow mold at home, they are disqualified.  (It's a safety thing.)  It's been in the rule book for years, but every single year we have one parent who calls in screaming because his or her student was disqualified.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/12 at 2:52 pm

^im so sick of those parents. They follow their kids to college  ::)

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/26/12 at 3:19 pm

One other tip, Carol - be sure to read and follow the Science Fair rules.  They SHOULD be on your school's or district's website.  Perfect example: we do not allow students to enter projects where there is mold involved unless they grow the mold in a lab (at school, etc.  We also have a local lab that allows our students access.)  If they grow mold at home, they are disqualified.  (It's a safety thing.)  It's been in the rule book for years, but every single year we have one parent who calls in screaming because his or her student was disqualified.  :(

Never even knew there was rule book, no worries though, not planning on using mold.  Still no PLANS at all...but I never even considered mold.

^im so sick of those parents. They follow their kids to college  ::)

Ha ha!!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/12 at 3:55 pm

How about something to do with weather?

Here is a link of ideas:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/recommender_interest_area.php?ia=Weather&dl=1

The link I gave you is for K-5 but they do have a link for higher grades.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/12 at 3:53 pm

There's always potatoes

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/29/12 at 6:17 pm

There's always potatoes

Megan has decided to make a lemon circuit.  4 to 6 lemons wired together to power a light bulb.  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/30/12 at 1:25 pm

Megan has decided to make a lemon circuit.  4 to 6 lemons wired together to power a light bulb.  :-\\

so not far off from the potato clocks they used to sell at the Sharper Image back in the day.  it's a good kids science fair thing.  just like doing a volcano.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/30/12 at 3:44 pm

so not far off from the potato clocks they used to sell at the Sharper Image back in the day.  it's a good kids science fair thing.  just like doing a volcano.

The volcano was her first choice but I talked her out of it...had visions of The Brady Bunch.  :D

Not the most original project but we'll make an awesome poster to go with it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/03/12 at 6:45 pm

Little late... and a little dated, but I was SOOOO jealous of my friends "science" experiment...

Do looks really matter?

She went to the mall dressed in regular clothes, asked people for a quarter to call home (on pay phone - yep dated)
She went to the mall dressed like poor trash....
She went to the mall dressed expensively.... 

Yep looks matter...    I will leave it at that.

Today I think I could get my daughter to do it, but ask people if they will call home for her on their phones???? 

Thought it was the most awesome experiment.  It did win something, and went to state - but I do not remember from there.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/03/12 at 7:37 pm

Little late... and a little dated, but I was SOOOO jealous of my friends "science" experiment...

Do looks really matter?

She went to the mall dressed in regular clothes, asked people for a quarter to call home (on pay phone - yep dated)

Today I think I could get my daughter to do it, but ask people if they will call home for her on their phones????
Thought it was the most awesome experiment.  It did win something, and went to state - but I do not remember from there.

Cool experiment but Megan probably wouldn't do it, too embarrassed.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/12 at 11:43 am

Do looks really matter?

There was a similar experiment done at the University of Vermont (UVM). These students went around town in a beat up car. When they stopped at a traffic light, after it turned green, the waited until the car behind them honked. Then they did the same thing in a really nice car. They found that people honked sooner with the beater car than with the nice one.

Cat 

Written By: loki 13 on 02/05/12 at 3:43 pm

There was a similar experiment done at the University of Vermont (UVM). These students went around town in a beat up car. When they stopped at a traffic light, after it turned green, the waited until the car behind them honked. Then they did the same thing in a really nice car. They found that people honked sooner with the beater car than with the nice one.

Cat

I drive in Philly 5 days a week and in New Jersey the rest of the time. It doesn't matter if it's a tricycle
or the space shuttle, if you're not moving a millisecond after the light turns green you are getting honked
at. Hell, I even beeped at a cop for holding up traffic for the Presidential motorcade.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/06/12 at 12:35 pm

I drive in Philly 5 days a week and in New Jersey the rest of the time. It doesn't matter if it's a tricycle
or the space shuttle, if you're not moving a millisecond after the light turns green you are getting honked
at. Hell, I even beeped at a cop for holding up traffic for the Presidential motorcade.

Ha ha!

Jersey is a really interesting place to drive...I always say the speed limit is merely a suggestion.  ;D

It's a totally different story where I live now...no one beeps (except for me, but I do wait a little bit before I do).

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/10/12 at 12:58 pm

Megan got a blue ribbon for her science project and is moving on to "County" ( blue ribbon winners from each school move on the the county portion and then it's on to State, if she makes it.).

Written By: Dagwood on 03/10/12 at 1:20 pm

That is cool!  Good luck to her.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/12 at 2:50 pm

Megan got a blue ribbon for her science project and is moving on to "County" ( blue ribbon winners from each school move on the the county portion and then it's on to State, if she makes it.).

Way cool. Congrats, Megan! (You can pass the karma on to her.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/11/12 at 6:55 pm

YAY!

Check for new replies or respond here...