inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Possible East Coast tour 2012?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/08/12 at 3:21 pm

I have 2 weeks paid vacation from my job this year, and I haven't had a real, honest-to-God vacation since 2001, when my brother and I took 3 weeks and toured the West Coast.

This was right at the end of the long-distance phase of my trucking career, and since then the farthest east I've been is Chicago. I've been to 46 out of the lower 48 states in a semi-truck (with the exceptions of Maine and Vermont), but I didn't really see all that much, and the only interactions I had with people were mainly in warehouses and truck stops.

The one area of America which I have the least amount of experience with is the Northeast, and more specifically the New England region. My few ventures up there were somewhat stressful, but that was mainly due to being a Midwesterner trying to navigate a tractor-trailer in an area with infrastructure that was laid out over 100 years before automobiles became commonplace.

But I've always wanted to explore the Northeast by car and this year I have the opportunity, so I'm thinking about putting my vacation request in for the last 2 weeks of September and going for it. And I'd really like to look some of you up, if you like. Not to mention that perhaps some of you who live up there might be able to steer me towards some cool attractions up that way.

I look forward to hearing back from you.  :)

Subject: Re: Possible East Coast tour 2012?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/12 at 3:42 pm

We would love to hook up with you, however, September is a long ways away. And this year, we are dealing with parents. But, there is a possibility.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/12 at 1:30 pm

I'm Nowhere near that area but if you ever make it out west again look me up!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/12 at 6:48 pm

I can suggest a few places to visit if you tell us what you're interested in.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/10/12 at 10:30 am

New England has tons of history, some awesome scenery, and terrific out door activities.  Hope we can get together

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/11/12 at 5:19 pm

I can suggest a few places to visit if you tell us what you're interested in.

I enjoy seeing famous and historical sites, both natural and man made. I'm really looking forward to exploring upstate New York, I'd like to check out the Catskill resorts, Fort Ticonderoga, and the Erie Canal in particular. I also want to go to Cape Cod, maybe catch a Red Sox game, and I really want a good bowl of clam chowder.  ;)

As far as Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire go, I really don't know that much about what all is up there and will have to do more research. I would have liked to see the Old Man on the Mountain, but I heard it collapsed a few years back.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/12 at 5:31 pm

I enjoy seeing famous and historical sites, both natural and man made. I'm really looking forward to exploring upstate New York, I'd like to check out the Catskill resorts, Fort Ticonderoga, and the Erie Canal in particular. I also want to go to Cape Cod, maybe catch a Red Sox game, and I really want a good bowl of clam chowder.  ;)

As far as Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire go, I really don't know that much about what all is up there and will have to do more research. I would have liked to see the Old Man on the Mountain, but I heard it collapsed a few years back.  :(

Fort Ti is really in our neck of the woods-even though it is in NY State. In fact, when we go out on the boat, we usually anchor off of Ft. Ti. On this side of the lake, there is Mount Independence-which was also important during the Revolutionary War.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/12 at 11:16 am

I would have liked to see the Old Man on the Mountain, but I heard it collapsed a few years back.  :(

The Old Man didn't collapse, he did what many in New Hampshire do, came down to Massachusetts looking for work.  He must have found it because he hasn't returned  ;D

Of all the New England States I think Vermont is the prettiest. In Massachusetts Cape Cod gets all the press, but I like Cape Ann better, that is the area around Gloucester/Rockport/Annisquam.  That is the "Perfect Storm" area.  If you like History then you have to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, it's all mapped out for you, they paint the path on the sidewalk so you can follow it.  You can end that with a trip to Fenway, it is 100 years old this year, but for Sox tickets be prepared to pay up, they are almost impossible to get, and forget the scalpers, very risky. Good clam chowder is easy.  There are lots of places.  If you are in Boston go to the Quincy Market Place, google it.  Durgin Park is the old mainstay, but off the beaten path is a place called the No Name Restaurant.  If you have time and want to make a bit of an effort it is where where you will find the real deal when it comes to chowder. 

Written By: ninny on 03/13/12 at 10:45 am

It depends on where your going but the Erie Canal is about 30 minutes from me, we cross it every other Friday to pick up Daniel. May I also suggest the Finger Lakes Region in NY.

Written By: karen on 03/14/12 at 1:13 pm

Of all the New England States I think Vermont is the prettiest. In Massachusetts Cape Cod gets all the press, but I like Cape Ann better, that is the area around Gloucester/Rockport/Annisquam.  That is the "Perfect Storm" area.  If you like History then you have to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, it's all mapped out for you, they paint the path on the sidewalk so you can follow it. 

We also liked Salem and the Minute Man National Park (Lexington and Concord and all that.)

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/15/12 at 10:17 am

There are some interesting things in Salem, but also lots of tourist traps.  The maritime museum in Mystic Conn. is quite good, as is Sturbridge farm in Mass, and Billings farm in Woodstock VT

Written By: karen on 03/15/12 at 11:04 am

There are some interesting things in Salem, but also lots of tourist traps. 

Sure, but some people like the hokeyness of it.

The maritime museum in Mystic Conn. is quite good, as is Sturbridge farm in Mass, and Billings farm in Woodstock VT

we didn't go to Billings Farm but the other two are definitely places we enjoyed.  Sturbridge is a place we visited several times.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/15/12 at 3:01 pm

The absolute best time to go to Cape Cod is September, so you're making a good call if that's when you want to visit it.  VERY quiet, no need for parking permits for the beaches, all the stores have sales because the tourists are gone and are not coming back until spring, etc.  If you go to a beach, you want Falmouth bay, it's still warm in September, maybe nicer than in July even.  Downtown Plymouth is also fun, there's a bunch of "thrift stores" and it's walking distance to the Mayflower/Plymouth rock.  The family went down the Cape last year and I think we ended up spending more time in Plymouth before we got to the Cape than any single place we went to the rest of the week.  There's also a flea market I usually go to on Sunday in Welfleet that I also recommend.   

If you go up to Weirs Beach in New Hampshire (Lake Winnipesaukee) and you like old video games, The Funspot is a must. I think I'll be going up there this summer for an overnight stay but not sure if I can convince Susan to do it so we can play video games.  The Franconian Notch is where the "Old Man" used to be and it has a lot of fun stuff and is a little further north from there.  I remember liking "The Flume" which is a hiking trail next to a river cut into the solid bedrock.

I'm in Central Mass, and about the only thing near me I recommend is Higgins Armory, the largest collection of midevil armor in the Western Hemisphere.  It's not a huge museum by any stretch, but short of visiting Europe, the only place you'll see real armor.  I'll be going there this Sunday because Neal is a huge fan.  "Old Sturbridge Village" is also neat, but I haven't been there since I was in school and won't bother bringing Neal because I figure he'll be doing it with the school at some point as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/12 at 3:23 pm

Depending on when you are in the area, there is always the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) in West Springfield, Mass-which is usually sometime in September. It is basically a HUGE state fair but they have exhibits from all the New England states. Haven't been there in years but I recall it is pretty impressive in terms as fairs go.

Cat 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/12 at 3:59 pm

The absolute best time to go to Cape Cod is September, so you're making a good call if that's when you want to visit it.  VERY quiet, no need for parking permits for the beaches, all the stores have sales because the tourists are gone and are not coming back until spring, etc.  If you go to a beach, you want Falmouth bay, it's still warm in September, maybe nicer than in July even.  Downtown Plymouth is also fun, there's a bunch of "thrift stores" and it's walking distance to the Mayflower/Plymouth rock. 

I hate the Cape in summer, love it in the fall.  If you go the week after school is back in session you are getting the best of it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/15/12 at 6:53 pm

I'm getting worried about gas prices, it's already $3.77 a gallon here and I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $5 this summer, but if it doesn't go back down under $4 by September then the trip might be a no go.  :(

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/12 at 7:48 pm

I'm getting worried about gas prices, it's already $3.77 a gallon here and I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $5 this summer, but if it doesn't go back down under $4 by September then the trip might be a no go.  :(

I wouldn't count on it then  :(

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/16/12 at 8:08 am

I doubt it'll go much over $4.  lots of hype on gas prices lately, seems to be in a bit of a bubble, and those have a habit of popping

Check for new replies or respond here...