inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In the 00s Topic too nasty for google adsense

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/14/12 at 8:44 pm

What is the most slow and painful way to die?

Apparently this topic was flagged for reasons of "VIOLENCE"

VIOLENCE: As stated in our program policies, AdSense publishers are not permitted to place Google ads on pages with violent content. This includes sites with content related to breaking bones, getting hit by trains or cars, or people receiving serious injuries.

The topic's been locked for over a year and has been online since 2005.  Clearly some automated bot found it, and I had to spend half an hour modifying the archive generator to prevent ads from showing up on a particular topic as a result.  A little on the irritating side. I don't mind losing any ad revenue on the particular page, just irritated that they give you no means to ask for a human to review the topic. 

Subject: Re: In the 00s Topic too nasty for google adsense

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/12 at 9:33 pm

Oh, that's why Google ads are missing from all my favorite see-a-guy-get-eaten-by-a-crocodile sites!
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/15/12 at 12:02 am

Oh, that's why Google ads are missing from all my favorite see-a-guy-get-eaten-by-a-crocodile sites!
8)

Crocodiles, pshaw, you're too merciful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBN_3YJKZrY

It's also why Google's YouTube doesn't host this video (tame enough for afternoon cable TV on an "educational" channel) about the Brazen Bull.

Silly robots.  I agree with ChuckyG, it's even sillier that there's no way to appeal to a higher authority.  But this is a nation where learning about robots is forbidden.  Not because robots are some kind of taboo, but because parents who send their kids to STEM schools where they can read books intended to inspire kids to learn about robots... are terrified of naughty words.  So there you go.  The more I see of humans and robots, maybe the robots would do better.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/12 at 12:37 am

Crocodiles, pshaw, you're too merciful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBN_3YJKZrY

It's also why Google's YouTube doesn't host this video (tame enough for afternoon cable TV on an "educational" channel) about the Brazen Bull.

Yeah, Sheriff Arpio wants to bring it back in Arizona!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/12 at 9:42 pm

Apparently google felt the need to go ahead and disable my advertising on inthe00s anyways, despite recoding the site to prevent ads from appearing on that particular page.  No reason given, just tells me I didn't comply. 

After ten minutes of frantic searching I found an appeal review form, no idea if that will help.  Might be time to look for a different ad serving platform.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/12 at 10:44 pm

Apparently google felt the need to go ahead and disable my advertising on inthe00s anyways, despite recoding the site to prevent ads from appearing on that particular page.  No reason given, just tells me I didn't comply. 

After ten minutes of frantic searching I found an appeal review form, no idea if that will help.  Might be time to look for a different ad serving platform.

An appeal review form? Sounds kinda authoritarian to me.  Say, I thought Google was that hippie company in Mountain View where they have the exercise balls and free toaster strudel for the engineers...
???

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/12 at 11:11 pm

An appeal review form? Sounds kinda authoritarian to me.  Say, I thought Google was that hippie company in Mountain View where they have the exercise balls and free toaster strudel for the engineers...
???

maybe for their full time employees... the rest of us get the short end of the stick.  I'm rather disgusted with them the last year or two as it is...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/27/12 at 2:37 am

Come here to Pittsburgh, I'll take you over to the Google local headquarters and you can talk to a real live human.  Probably.  I've never been there, but driven past it and parked in their parking lot while eating at Jimmie John's subs.  :-\\  Even spotted the Google camera car for Google maps a few times.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/27/12 at 9:59 am

Come here to Pittsburgh, I'll take you over to the Google local headquarters and you can talk to a real live human.  Probably.  I've never been there, but driven past it and parked in their parking lot while eating at Jimmie John's subs.  :-\\  Even spotted the Google camera car for Google maps a few times.

There's a google location in a lot of major cities now, I know Boston has a branch as well.  If there was better competition in ad serving companies, I might consider a different one entirely

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/17/12 at 7:40 pm

so I got yet another rejection notification today.  I removed it from the board and the site entirely and I am now hosting it on my personal site.  I'm really ticked off at this point.

Banned thread archived

I think it would be fitting to host it in a youtube video with little comics or cartoons from each post.  Suitable for a google owned site, but not a site that runs google ads.

Check for new replies or respond here...