inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Windows 8

Written By: Henk on 11/09/12 at 2:10 am

Just out of curiosity: does anyone have any experience with the newly released Windows 8?  ???

I'm asking 'cause I'm thinking of trading my old computer (Windows Vista, with a virus  ::)) for a new one (Windows 8 ). From what I've seen so far, this seems like a HUGE step, especially if you don't have any experience with smartphones, iPhones, apps and the like - like me.

So... anyone?

Subject: Re: Windows 8

Written By: warped on 11/09/12 at 6:49 am

Can't help there. I have windows 7. 
If you don't receive an answer to your question here, maybe you can also try in the "ask me" section, when you can ask for help there.
I also noticed there is an active who's thread is "ask me about computers", but he hasn't posted for a year  :-\\

Written By: Henk on 11/09/12 at 7:29 am

Can't help there. I have windows 7. 
If you don't receive an answer to your question here, maybe you can also try in the "ask me" section, when you can ask for help there.
I also noticed there is an active who's thread is "ask me about computers", but he hasn't posted for a year  :-\\

It's OK.  :)

Like I said: I'm just posting out of curiosity. I don't think anyone around here has any experience with Windows 8 (yet). For all I know, I may be the first to try it (which, for me, really would be something. I'm usually not ahead of the herd).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/12 at 10:59 am

Boy, this thread is very timely. I, too have been thinking of trading in my computer. I bought this one a few years back and after doing research upon research, I thought I was going to get a GOOD computer and I HATE it.  >:(  (It is better than my old one which had Vista-and probably a virus or two.) I was planning on upgrading this one next year (when the extended warranty runs out) but then I realize (just last night actually) that I may not be able to get a new computer with Windows 7. I may HAVE to get Windows 8-which from what I can see, may be more trouble because it is made for touch screens which I don't have-nor do I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw&feature=related

I may have to buy a new computer NOW in order to get Windows 7 or wait until Microsoft realized that they made a mistake (like they did with Vista) and the next generation comes out.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/12 at 8:55 pm

They'll work out the bugs just in time for Windows 9!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/09/12 at 10:32 pm

Get a machine with Win7 while you can.

Windows 8 is effectively useless without a touchscreen. It's a great mobile interface, but they're forcing it onto the desktop not because they think it's a good idea for desktop users, but because the marketing folks want to drive consumers away from Apple and Android mobile platforms.

The thinking is that if they make your desktop into a glorified smartphone, you'll be more likely to buy Windows-based phones. And because the money these days is in the mobile space, and because Microsoft has heretofore completely failed with its mobile offerings, the only way to do it is to force everyone to use a suboptimal interface on the desktop.

So once you "get used to" a hamstrung desktop environment (having thrown out your big-screen monitor for a touchscreen with greasy fingerprints on it, and exhausted arms after a 12-hour day, and burned-out shoulders after a couple of years), they hope you'll be slightly more likely to use their phones than you would have been, because your phone works the same way your Win8 desktop does. Because Ballmer can make way more money if he sells you a Win8 phone, a Win8 license for your PC, and a Microsoft-branded Win8 tablet, than he could if you just ran Win7 on a new PC. (He's not making any money off your medical bills for touchscreen-induced RSI, but he's not losing any money from that either.)

It's a damn shame, because it's a great tablet interface. But it will never touch any PC I use for real work.

http://acousticmonster.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/76__400x425_windowsidiocracy.png

tl;dr: "Ballmer wants to keep his job, and he's willing to turn the desktop into ass to keep it. And if he gets his way, that's all it'll be. Ninety gigabytes of it."

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/12 at 3:11 pm

I like the interface of Windows 8 for mobile phones.  For PC, like Foo said, it is almost useless without a touch screen, but on Windows based tablets, it's superb!

I LOVE the look of the Nokia Lumia 810 by T-Mobile

Written By: Henk on 11/12/12 at 3:31 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

Since my last post in this thread, my old computer has died a slow and painful death... :\'(
So I ordered a new one and yes, it has Windows 8. Maybe this turns out to be one big mistake, but only time will tell. I'll keep you informed.

Written By: warped on 11/12/12 at 3:20 pm

Let us know how the Windows 8 works for you, hope there are minimal glitches.

Written By: Henk on 11/14/12 at 5:55 am

So... earlier today, I picked up my new computer. :D

Haven't had the time to unpack/install it, so you'll have to wait a little while longer.

Written By: Henk on 11/14/12 at 3:26 pm

It's working...so far.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is adding a second email account. I've successfully installed my Yahoo! account, but I only use that one on rare occasions. For some reason, I can't seem to add my standard email account. Not sure if it's me (wrong password? :-\\) or something with the settings.

Written By: warped on 11/14/12 at 4:38 pm

It's working...so far.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is adding a second email account. I've successfully installed my Yahoo! account, but I only use that one on rare occasions. For some reason, I can't seem to add my standard email account. Not sure if it's me (wrong password? :-\\) or something with the settings.

The thing with computers: Trial & error. Keep trying.  Maybe you got it done already before I typed this.

Written By: Henk on 11/15/12 at 2:11 am

The thing with computers: Trial & error. Keep trying.  Maybe you got it done already before I typed this.

Nah, still not working. :(

I've also noticed something else: I probably need a bigger screen. To open the charms on the Start screen, you need to move your mouse pointer to the top right hand corner of the screen. In my case, that's the top right corner OFF screen. ;D

Apart from that, everything seems to be working rather well. The good old desktop is still available at the flick of a button, which simplifies things for me dramatically. I just need to reinstall some of the programs I lost in the process. (One of the first things I did was reinstall Norton Internet Security!  ;))

As for the Start screen... I'm still working on that. There's probably quite a few apps preinstalled that I won't be working with, and others that may need expanding. Oh well, it's only been a day!

Written By: warped on 11/15/12 at 6:37 am

I've also noticed something else: I probably need a bigger screen. To open the charms on the Start screen, you need to move your mouse pointer to the top right hand corner of the screen. In my case, that's the top right corner OFF screen. ;D

Can you find any buttoms anywhere to make your screen smaller (or shift to the right/left)?

Written By: Henk on 11/15/12 at 7:26 am

Can you find any buttoms anywhere to make your screen smaller (or shift to the right/left)?

I'm sure there must be a way, but I haven't found it yet. Probably somewhere in Settings, I assume... haven't really been looking for such an option too, I must say. 

At this point, I'm just fiddling around. :D I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/12 at 11:07 am

Apart from that, everything seems to be working rather well. The good old desktop is still available at the flick of a button, which simplifies things for me dramatically. I just need to reinstall some of the programs I lost in the process. (One of the first things I did was reinstall Norton Internet Security!  ;))

As for the Start screen... I'm still working on that. There's probably quite a few apps preinstalled that I won't be working with, and others that may need expanding. Oh well, it's only been a day!

Word of advice. Install Revo Uninstaller. (Free download http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol;1 )  I'm not too sure if it will work with Windows 8-at least now but I'm sure they will update it before long.

As you know, when you buy a new computer, it is loaded with crap you don't want. When you just uninstall them using Windows, it leaves behind more crap that messes up your computer. Revo is a nice little program that gets rid of all that crap.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 11/15/12 at 2:04 pm

Word of advice. Install Revo Uninstaller. (Free download http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol;1 )  I'm not too sure if it will work with Windows 8-at least now but I'm sure they will update it before long.

As you know, when you buy a new computer, it is loaded with crap you don't want. When you just uninstall them using Windows, it leaves behind more crap that messes up your computer. Revo is a nice little program that gets rid of all that crap.

Cat

Thanks for the info and link. I'm not sure about actually using, though... At this point, I don't really see the need for removing unwanted apps/programs root and branch, because my computer still has 983GB of free memory right now. Don't think I'll ever gonna use all that! (FYI: my old computer had 180GB, and I hadn't even used 10% of that...in four years time!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/12 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info and link. I'm not sure about actually using, though... At this point, I don't really see the need for removing unwanted apps/programs root and branch, because my computer still has 983GB of free memory right now. Don't think I'll ever gonna use all that! (FYI: my old computer had 180GB, and I hadn't even used 10% of that...in four years time!)

I still have a lot of free space on mine but I try to get rid of unwanted stuff. I find that a lot of programs have other programs that piggy-back them-especially the ones that you download. A lot of those unwanted programs can cause havoc with the day to day stuff that you WANT to do with your computer. Oh, and make sure you check your start-up menu. Just about every program wants to be on the start-up menu so when you fire up your computer, they all want to start at once and it slows EVERYTHING down.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 11/16/12 at 2:21 am

I still have a lot of free space on mine but I try to get rid of unwanted stuff. I find that a lot of programs have other programs that piggy-back them-especially the ones that you download. A lot of those unwanted programs can cause havoc with the day to day stuff that you WANT to do with your computer. Oh, and make sure you check your start-up menu. Just about every program wants to be on the start-up menu so when you fire up your computer, they all want to start at once and it slows EVERYTHING down.

Cat

Yeah, I am aware of that. I don't let any program fire up as soon as I start my computer - except for the ones that are necessary. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/18/12 at 5:30 pm

The Metro start screen looks cool, but I find the clash of interfaces weird. You still have the traditional desktop which is basically the same as the Windows 7 desktop, but this start screen replaces the start menu apparently. Then you'll have both metro apps and desktop apps, idk it's pretty strange tbh. The lack of the start menu in the desktop mode is what bothers me the most, it's gonna be weird using that metro screen as a replacement. It's basically a mix of mobile and desktop UIs into one, because Microsoft wants a "one size fits all" operating system. I've never used Windows 8 yet, but I'm probably gonna have to get a new laptop soon so I'll end up with it eventually.

Written By: Henk on 11/19/12 at 3:31 am

The Metro start screen looks cool, but I find the clash of interfaces weird. You still have the traditional desktop which is basically the same as the Windows 7 desktop, but this start screen replaces the start menu apparently. Then you'll have both metro apps and desktop apps, idk it's pretty strange tbh.

Exactly what I was thinking, after using Win8 for a couple of days now. It's a weird combo, neither fish nor flesh. You'd think they'd come up with a way to integrate the 'old' desktop with the new Start screen, but no. This way, old fashioned Window users (like me) are tempted to use the old desktop interface rather than the new Start screen.
On a sidenote: is there an inthe00s.com app? ??? Haven't been searching for that, tbh.

The lack of the start menu in the desktop mode is what bothers me the most, it's gonna be weird using that metro screen as a replacement. It's basically a mix of mobile and desktop UIs into one, because Microsoft wants a "one size fits all" operating system. I've never used Windows 8 yet, but I'm probably gonna have to get a new laptop soon so I'll end up with it eventually.

I was afraid I'd miss the start menu as well, but have found that I can live without it. Well, so far anyway...it's only been a few days!

Written By: Henk on 11/21/12 at 1:52 pm

One other thing:

Windows8 has Windows Live Movie Maker (WLMM) preinstalled. WLMM has been around for quite some time, and has replaced the older Windows Movie Maker. It's supposed to be an improvement, but it's not!
When I first opened WLMM and tried to work with it, I thought I may have been overlooking the time line editing option, like you had in Movie Maker. But I hadn't: it's not there. It's gone!
A quick internet search revealed that people have been complaining for years about this silly decision, but apparently to no avail.

Oh well.. my point is: WLMM IS RUBBISH! >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/12 at 2:06 pm

One other thing:

Windows8 has Windows Live Movie Maker (WLMM) preinstalled. WLMM has been around for quite some time, and has replaced the older Windows Movie Maker. It's supposed to be an improvement, but it's not!
When I first opened WLMM and tried to work with it, I thought I may have been overlooking the time line editing option, like you had in Movie Maker. But I hadn't: it's not there. It's gone!
A quick internet search revealed that people have been complaining for years about this silly decision, but apparently to no avail.

Oh well.. my point is: WLMM IS RUBBISH! >:(

The only thing I liked about my Vista computer was the Windows Movie Maker. When I got this computer with Windows 7, it did have the Windows Live Movie Maker-which I agree, it sucks the big one. I create a lot of slideshows and I just can't do it with WLMM. I broke down and bought a program that is ok-but it didn't have video capability at first. I wasn't doing any video at the time so I didn't think about buying a program that does. But, now I do video. The program has since upgraded to include video but it is basically a photo program so it is hard to work with video. I just recently (like within the last couple of weeks) bought Sony's Vegas Movie Studio. I'm still playing around with it and haven't really decided if I like it or not. In many ways, I do miss the original Windows Movie Maker because it was so simple to use but it was also limited. I have downloaded it and can use it with the Windows 7-but I have these more advanced programs so why bother?

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/12 at 7:25 pm

Windows 8 takes some getting used to.  I've tested it in BestBuy, etc and the lack of a start menu the old way it used to be is a bit of a downer, but the tiles are cool.  I took a chance and bought a Windows 8 SmartPhone and it is fantastic.

I get all my Facebook updates, and live e-mails right on my home screen

Written By: Henk on 12/15/12 at 8:46 am

I'm not entirely happy with Windows 8. I still find myself using the old desktop instead of the tiles/apps on the Start screen.

One of the most annoying things is that I can't seem to get my printer (Lexmark X5250) to work. It's appearing on the list of printers alright, so the computer at least recognizes it's there. But it also says it's only a scan device, and apparently there's no driver program installed.
I've already tried reinstalling the original driver program that came with the printer, but that doesn't work.

The Lexmark website has a list of printers and how to get them to work under Windows 8, but for some reason my printer isn't on that list. :-\\

So now I've contacted both Lexmark and HP to see if they can fix the problem.

One other thing: I really miss the easy access to the configuration screen.

Written By: Henk on 12/22/12 at 6:20 am

Lexmark were very helpful... NOT!! I got zero, nada, zilch reaction to my question.

HP also couldn't help me (well, I wasn't really expecting them to help me either, but you never know).

So now I've asked the guys at the DriverTools helpdesk to assist me. There must be some way to get my printer back to work...

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 7:25 pm

They'll work out the bugs just in time for Windows 9!
:P

Heh heh, I remember reformatting the PC once with Windows XP late in it's day and it took ages to load all of the security updates.

I know somebody who absolutely detests Windows 8 and I know somebody that told me it's neither good or bad...just different.

I'm happy with Windows 7 to be honest. Why rock the boat at this stage?

Written By: Henk on 02/02/13 at 12:45 am

I'm beginning to think Windows 8 was/is a HUGE mistake. I keep using the desktop screen instead of the Start screen.

I still haven't been able to add it to the app on the Start screen. Luckily I can still access it via Outlook on the desktop.

One of the most annoying things is that I can't seem to get my printer (Lexmark X5250) to work. It's appearing on the list of printers alright, so the computer at least recognizes it's there. But it also says it's only a scan device, and apparently there's no driver program installed.
I've already tried reinstalling the original driver program that came with the printer, but that doesn't work.

There (still) is no driver tool available for my printer, and I haven't heard from the guys at Driver Tool or at Lexmark. So I'm about to give in and buy a new printer/scanner/copier.

Anyone interested in buying a Lexmark X5250? Works like a charm, as long as you don't have Windows 8.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/13 at 7:06 am

I'm beginning to think Windows 8 was/is a HUGE mistake. I keep using the desktop screen instead of the Start screen.

I still haven't been able to add it to the app on the Start screen. Luckily I can still access it via Outlook on the desktop.

There (still) is no driver tool available for my printer, and I haven't heard from the guys at Driver Tool or at Lexmark. So I'm about to give in and buy a new printer/scanner/copier.

Anyone interested in buying a Lexmark X5250? Works like a charm, as long as you don't have Windows 8.

I had a Lexmark printer and when I got my new computer (Windows 7), for some reason it wouldn't work. Or it worked for a while and then it wouldn't. Had a lot of compatibility issues. I bought a new printer-a Canon and it is a WONDERFUL printer-prints out beautiful photos. It wasn't that expensive. It was funny when I was looking, I did my research (check reviews & such) and decided on the one I wanted. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but not too outrageous. Just as I had decided THIS IS THE ONE-I refreshed the page and the price went down.  :o :o :o  I think I talked to Carlos for a few minutes and refresh the page again and the price dropped once again.  :o :o :o  It was so funny that price was going down before my eyes. So, the price ended up to be what I was planning on spending in the first place.  :) :)  Can't beat that with a stick.

If I have to buy another printer, I will go with a Canon again.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 02/02/13 at 8:59 am

I had a Lexmark printer and when I got my new computer (Windows 7), for some reason it wouldn't work. Or it worked for a while and then it wouldn't. Had a lot of compatibility issues. I bought a new printer-a Canon and it is a WONDERFUL printer-prints out beautiful photos. It wasn't that expensive. It was funny when I was looking, I did my research (check reviews & such) and decided on the one I wanted. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but not too outrageous. Just as I had decided THIS IS THE ONE-I refreshed the page and the price went down.  :o :o :o  I think I talked to Carlos for a few minutes and refresh the page again and the price dropped once again.  :o :o :o  It was so funny that price was going down before my eyes. So, the price ended up to be what I was planning on spending in the first place.  :) :)  Can't beat that with a stick.

If I have to buy another printer, I will go with a Canon again.

Cat

Well, I had no issues with the Lexmark until recently. But with no driver available and no help whatsoever from their helpdesk I was left with only one choice: ditch it. So earlier today I went out and bought an Epson XP-402. Installing it took more time than I expected, but at least it's working now!
Could've gone for a Canon as well, but those were slightly more expensive.

Written By: Henk on 04/22/13 at 9:10 am

Several months on, and I find myself hardly ever using the Start screen. It just doesn't feel natural to me (but then, I'm an old fart).

The "good" news is... they're working on Windows 8.1 currently, which should have the Start button back (visibly), along with other modifications (including an option to have the "old" desktop screen as your start screen instead of the Win8 Start screen-with-the-tiles, options to make the tiles even smaller/use different colors for the tiles and other stuff).

Written By: Henk on 07/16/13 at 2:43 am

I'm not entirely happy with Windows 8. I still find myself using the old desktop instead of the tiles/apps on the Start screen.

The Lexmark website has a list of printers and how to get them to work under Windows 8, but for some reason my printer isn't on that list. :-\\

So now I've contacted both Lexmark and HP to see if they can fix the problem.

One other thing: I really miss the easy access to the configuration screen.

Guess what...? Almost seven months have passed, and I finally got a reply. ::) Not the one I was hoping for, though...Apparently, the Lexmark Customer Service was experiencing "some" technical problems. Well, that's one way of putting it, I guess...

Written By: karen on 07/16/13 at 8:41 am

Guess what...? Almost seven months have passed, and I finally got a reply. ::) Not the one I was hoping for, though...Apparently, the Lexmark Customer Service was experiencing "some" technical problems. Well, that's one way of putting it, I guess...

Perhaps they were inundated with requests for help and you didn't shout loudly enough!

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/13 at 2:18 pm

I still find myself using the old desktop instead of the tiles/apps on the Start screen.

I do the same. 
I just purchased a Windows 8 laptop and it is so good, I still question why anyone would want an Apple Computer

Written By: Henk on 07/16/13 at 2:38 pm

Perhaps they were inundated with requests for help and you didn't shout loudly enough!

No, I don't think that was the problem. Here's the exact message I got from Lexmark:

"Dear customer,

Due to technical difficulties we were not able to answer your email on time. Please accept our deepest apology.

If you still need our support, please contact us via email or preferably on the phone.

In the meantime, please check out our website where you can find solutions for the most common issues, driver updates and more information.:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=home&linkSelected=node2&channel=techlibrary&userlocale=EN_BE

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Lexmark eSupport Team
http://support.lexmark.com"

Written By: Katluver on 08/10/13 at 7:49 pm

Just got Windows 8, and it is driving me up the wall. What is really annoying is that the cursor is sensitive so if I put it in the wrong area while on the Net, it takes me to another program that I have open! It is also difficult to navigate and confusing. Tempted to return it...

Written By: Dagwood on 08/10/13 at 9:54 pm

I just got it at work.  Thankfully the IT guy set it up with the task bar so I don't have to figure anything out.  The one thing I hate is that my gadgets are gone.  I want my clock and weather checker back. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...