inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where have you been in the world?

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 12:17 pm

I've been to two countries: the US and Canada, and out of the states to California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania (kind of), New York state and in Canada I've been to British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.

I'd say for my age, I'm fairly well traveled. I really want to visit the UK, Italy, Australia, China and Japan next.

What about you, where have you been and where would you like to go?

Subject: Re: Where have you been in the world?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/12 at 12:40 pm

The only other country I have been to was Mexico on a school trip.  Mexico City, Guadalajara and Mazatlan.  This was the summer of 1985, the year of the bad earthquake.  It was a couple of months after I got home.  The hotel we stayed in in Mexico City was destroyed. 

In the states I have been to California, Nevada, Utah (of course), Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee and Indiana.  Most of the midwest was on a Greyhound going from Utah to Kentucky.  I guess you could say Arizona too.  When driving to Nevada from Utah down I15 you drive through a corner of AZ.  I was probably in the state for 10 minutes. ;D

I would love to go to Europe.  Australia would be nice, too.  I would also like to visit all the states and Canada. 

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 12:42 pm

The only other country I have been to was Mexico on a school trip.  Mexico City, Guadalajara and Mazatlan.  This was the summer of 1985, the year of the bad earthquake.  It was a couple of months after I got home.  The hotel we stayed in in Mexico City was destroyed. 

In the states I have been to California, Nevada, Utah (of course), Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee and Indiana.  Most of the midwest was on a Greyhound going from Utah to Kentucky.

I would love to go to Europe.  Australia would be nice, too.  I would also like to visit all the states and Canada.

Utah has a really unique feel to it, in my opinion. I don't know if it's the Mormon thing, or the landscape, or whatever.

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 12:46 pm

Canada (I live here), Been to BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia
USA (32 states) : Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, NY, Penn, NJ, Virginia (and West V) , North Carolina, Ohio, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Conn, RI, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, Minnesota, Michigan, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, California and Nebraska.

Other countries:    Mexico, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, China, Austria, Switzerland, Taiwan, England, Thailand, Vatican city, Hong Kong.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 12:46 pm

Canada (I live here), Been to BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia
USA : Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, NY, Penn, NJ, Virgina (and West V) , North Carolina, Ohio, DC, Maryland, Deleware, Coon, RI, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, Minnesota, Michigan, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, California, 

Other countries:    Mexico, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, China, Austria, Switzerland, Taiwan, England, Thailand, Vatican city, Hong Kong.

I hope I can out-travel you someday. That's quite an impressive list!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/12 at 1:14 pm

US: Maine*, New Hampshire*, Mass*, Vermont**, Conn*, Rhode Island, New York*, Penn*, Del. Maryland*, Virginia, North Carolina (don't remember), South Carolina (don't remember), Georgia (don't remember), Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Okla, Kansas, Nebraska, Tex, New Mexico, Arizona, Calif, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Puerto Rico**. I may have been in Michigan & West Virgina but I don't remember.

* This year.
Bold: Have lived.
**Own a house there.

Canada: Quebec, Ontario, I may have been in Nova Scotia & the maritimes but don't remember.

Other countries: Mexico, Italy#, Greece, Germany, Egypt, Israel, the Azores#.

#only in the airport. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 3:01 pm

I was born in Holland (lived there 2-3 yrs)

I've lived in
Wash. Dc
Panama
Las Vegas
and  of course Cali

Currently in Cali.
lived in:
-riverside
-salinas
-stockton
-goleta & Santa Barbara

Visited:
San Jose
San Fran
Oakland
Sacramento
Modesto
Monterey
Carmel
San Ramon
Santa Cruz
Pleasanton /Danville / concord
Gilroy
Anaheim
Long Beach
LA
Burbank
Glendale
Studio City
Beverly Hills
Hollywood
San Diego

My Parents live in AZ so I've been to
Mesa
Phoenix
Tempe
Maricopa
Apache Junction
Scottsdale

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 3:02 pm

lived in:
-riverside
-salinas

My dad and stepdad's family both hail from San Juan Bautista. And my stepdad lived in the Netherlands when he was a small child.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 3:10 pm

Europe:
*Germany
*Netherlands
*Luxemburg
*Belgium
*France
*Monaco
*Spain
*Italy
*Austria
*Poland
*Denmark
*Sweden
*Finland
*Norway
*United Kingdom

North America:
*USA
**New York
**New Jersey
**District of Columbia
**Virginia
**Florida
**Ohio
**Indiana
**Michigan
**Illinois
**Washington
**Oregon
**California
**Nevada
**Arizona
**Utah

*Canada
**Ontario
**British Columbia

*Mexico
**Baja California (Tijuana)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:22 pm

US: All the lower 48 except for Maine and Vermont

Canada: Ontario and Manitoba

Mexico: Tijuana

Europe: Germany (stationed there for 2 1/2 years), Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 3:28 pm

My dad and stepdad's family both hail from San Juan Bautista. And my stepdad lived in the Netherlands when he was a small child.

Interesting

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 3:30 pm

totally forgot... I went to summer camp in Utah when I was 12... no offense to Dag & Ash but I freaking HATED Utah!!!  :D   

I want to go to the theme parks in FL

and I want to go to Austin...they have awesome festivals:  film and TV

I want to drive cross country and meet all my 00zey pals someday....

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 3:46 pm

Hated Utah? That's one of the most scenic states in the US  :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 3:51 pm

I was 12... I didn't care much about scenery....   

I cared that I couldn't get a soda at the 7-11 and that the summer camp didn't have TV... oh and the people who worked at/ran the camp were not good people!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 3:53 pm

Did you get down to Moab, or Zion, or Bryce Canyon when you were there?

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 3:54 pm

I was 12...  I went where the camp bus drove me  :D ... I have no idea where we were just that we were somewhere in the state of Utah. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, every three single places + Monument Valley (if that qualifies as Utah) and Capitol Reef.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/12 at 4:01 pm

I was 12...  I went where the camp bus drove me  :D ... I have no idea where we were just that we were somewhere in the state of Utah. 

So you were a prisoner in the state of Utah? ;D

You should give Utah a shot when you are not forced to be here.  I promise we have tv....we have had it for at least 2 or 3 years.  Plus there are more 7-11's than churches in this state.  I swear there is one on every corner. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, every three single places + Monument Valley (if that qualifies as Utah) and Capitol Reef.

I went there 10 years ago with my brother, it was incredible. There's no other place like it on Earth.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:03 pm

I went there 10 years ago with my brother, it was incredible. There's no other place like it on Earth.

Agreed. At least not in the western (and easy accessible) world.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 4:05 pm

So you were a prisoner in the state of Utah? ;D

You should give Utah a shot when you are not forced to be here.  I promise we have tv....we have had it for at least 2 or 3 years.  Plus there are more 7-11's than churches in this state.  I swear there is one on every corner. ;D

;D   

I totally was... I'm trying to let go of the horrid memories from 32 yrs ago but some things just won't go away....

rest assured... SLC is a stop on the road trip I have planned...but not during winter!!!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:07 pm

I was into scenery at least from age 9 on  8)

Traveling has always been my passion.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 4:08 pm

;D   

I totally was... I'm trying to let go of the horrid memories from 32 yrs ago but some things just won't go away....

rest assured... SLC is a stop on the road trip I have planned...but not during winter!!!

I used to run I-80 into SLC quite a bit when I was doing line-haul with Yellow several years back, and going down Parley's Summit could get a little hairy, especially during the winter. (Ash and Dag know what I'm talking about...)  :o

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 4:09 pm

I moved around every two years from the day I was born until I was in my early teens... I hated travel with a passion...

we always seemed to live in vacation hot spots so I did more touristy things at the directions of others that I have absolutely no desire to do it now. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 4:11 pm

How long ago did you visit the United States? What was your impression of it?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:20 pm

How long ago did you visit the United States? What was your impression of it?

I have visited the States in '06, '08, '09 and '10. As you can see from my travel list, the United States is my favorite country for traveling. Everything is so easy (affordable motels at every corner, great road network) and the people are great. Nothing beats the atmosphere of renting a car and driving through the American west.

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 4:23 pm

I hope I can out-travel you someday. That's quite an impressive list!

It helps that I've lived many more years than you. 

Nothing beats the atmosphere of renting a car and driving through the American west.

I drove from Chicago to Seattle, twice. Great drives through the west.
My favorite drives in the US are through Eastern New York, Vermont and NH.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:30 pm

I drove from Chicago to Seattle, twice. Great drives through the west.

The best are those highways in the South West - When they are winding through deserts and red rock scenery.

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 4:32 pm

The best are those highways in the South West - When they are winding through deserts and red rock scenery.

I hope to try that one day  :)  I really like to drive highways and long distances.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:36 pm

I hope to try that one day  :)  I really like to drive highways and long distances.

My last visit to the States is already more than two years ago now. I am slowly feeling 'withdrawal symptoms' ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 4:41 pm

The best are those highways in the South West - When it goes through deserts and red rock scenery.

I guess it's just me... I'm not a fan of the desert.. give me ocean views and city scapes and I'm happy.

tho this last trip to AZ I drove from San Diego via I8 instead of from Santa Barbara I10 and it was prettier than the normal way I go (but still not really my scene)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/12 at 4:43 pm

I have visited the States in '06, '08, '09 and '10. As you can see from my travel list, the United States is my favorite country for traveling. Everything is so easy (affordable motels at every corner, great road network) and the people are great. Nothing beats the atmosphere of renting a car and driving through the American west.

Being from Germany, did you find our speed limits to be somewhat frustrating? Because I LOVED the autobahn when I was over there.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 4:56 pm

Being from Germany, did you find our speed limits to be somewhat frustrating? Because I LOVED the autobahn when I was over there.

No, definetly not. It's very relaxed driving (outside the cities) compared to Germany and I therefore enjoy it when I am there. Driving in Germany is very stressful and I actually hate those inconsistent speeds which are driven here.... especially if you have a slow car.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 5:00 pm

No, definetly not. It's very relaxed driving (outside the cities) compared to Germany and I therefore enjoy it when I am there. Driving in Germany is very stressful and I actually hate those inconsistent speeds which are driven here.... especially if you have a slow car.

I think driving in Germany sounds fun in theory but the actual experience of it might not be so fun (for all the reasons mentioned above)

I remember when my cousin came to visit and she got her international driver's lic because she wanted to drive here.... I let her drive us from Disneyland back to Stockton......technically I only let her drive us out of LA.... she drove like a maniac.  I was like this isn't Europe and I really don't want to die tonight  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 5:01 pm

I guess it's just me... I'm not a fan of the desert.. give me ocean views and city scapes and I'm happy.

tho this last trip to AZ I drove from San Diego via I8 instead of from Santa Barbara I10 and it was prettier than the normal way I go (but still not really my scene)

I agree, I wouldn't spend 3 full weeks only in the desert. That would indeed be very boring... but just a few days is great. The Southwest is very diverse so you can combine different regions, including the Pacific.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/11/12 at 5:05 pm

I think driving in Germany sounds fun in theory but the actual experience of it might not be so fun (for all the reasons mentioned above)

Yes. That's exactly it. You'll also notice that there are lots of areas with speed limits and plenty of construction areas. It is no way possible to go full speed from Munich to Hamburg.

I mean, yeah. Driving fast can be fun - there are some autobahns with few curves and light traffic... but it's only real fun, if you don't have to care about fuel prices. And you probably know how expensive fuel is over here.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/12 at 5:21 pm

I used to run I-80 into SLC quite a bit when I was doing line-haul with Yellow several years back, and going down Parley's Summit could get a little hairy, especially during the winter. (Ash and Dag know what I'm talking about...)  :o

Oh yeah.  Parley's can be very nasty. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/12 at 5:43 pm

US: All the lower 48 except for Maine and Vermont

Two of my favorite states. You really should go to both-both are BEAUTIFUL!!!

And if you decide to go to Vermont, Carlos & I will be happy to put you up. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 6:23 pm

I mean, yeah. Driving fast can be fun - there are some autobahns with few curves and light traffic... but it's only real fun, if you don't have to care about fuel prices. And you probably know how expensive fuel is over here.

I know gas is more expensive in Europe than in the us

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/12 at 7:54 pm

Canada:  Ontario, Quebec
USA:  New York State

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/12 at 10:34 am

I've been to most of the continental states except the deep south and Alaska.  I've lived in Chile (1972-73), visited Argentina, Ecuador, Peru (Lima, Cuzco, Machu Pichu), and Mexico.  And try to spend winters at our house in Puerto Rico

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/12 at 2:59 pm

Never been out of the country.  I want to change that someday, but because of my irrational fear of flying, that might take FOREVER. :D

Because of that fear and the fact that my family and friends live all over the US, I've roadtripped or taken the train through many states.  I still need to get to the far Northeast, though.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 3:00 pm

Never been out of the country.  I want to change that someday, but because of my irrational fear of flying, that might take FOREVER. :D

Because of that fear and the fact that my family and friends live all over the US, I've roadtripped or taken the train through many states.  I still need to get to the far Northeast, though.

You don't have to fly to go to Canada (or Mexico). :) Or, you could take a cruise to the Caribbean, or even Siberia.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/12 at 3:02 pm

But when are you coming back to Cali???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/12 at 3:08 pm

Next year. Oh, you aren't talking to me.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/12 at 3:09 pm

Cat

I already new that and am eagerly anticipating that day!!!

Written By: warped on 11/12/12 at 3:14 pm

Places I'd like to visit:

Japan, Greece, Australia.

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/12 at 3:40 pm

You don't have to fly to go to Canada (or Mexico). :) Or, you could take a cruise to the Caribbean, or even Siberia.

True.  And I've been looking at cruises and such.  Just out of my price range right now. :D

Oof, who knows?  When Rice gets a better paying job and I'm not sinking in the mire of medical bills. :D

Or maybe we'll move back.  There are a lot of jobs around San Diego for Rice.

Cat

There you go.  I'll just hitch a ride with Cat and Carlos if they're roadtrippin'. ;D

Places I'd like to visit:

Japan, Greece, Australia.

Me too!  I've also been on a South Pacific kick.  I keep looking at all these little islands and atolls that I want to visit.  But, money.

Stupid money. :P

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/12 at 4:31 pm

Or maybe we'll move back.  There are a lot of jobs around San Diego for Rice.

Stupid money. :P

SAN DIEGO!!!!  You, me, the boy & Dr Rice @ Comicon.....we'd totally rock that bitch!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/12/12 at 8:21 pm

New England, California, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New York.

In 1974 I hitchhiked from Bath, England to Paris, France and back by myself.  Still can't believe I did that.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/13/12 at 12:51 am

In 1974 I hitchhiked from Bath, England to Paris, France and back by myself.  Still can't believe I did that.

On a boat?  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/13/12 at 2:37 am

There used to be car ferries. And they are still there.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/12 at 4:44 am

;D  Had to pay for the ferry, but the rest of the way was by thumb.  Loved England, loved France.  I can see the allure of Paris, I was only there the once, but my sister has been quite a few times. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/12 at 4:51 am

The northeast coast is spectacular. Stay away from Cape Cod, it is where everyone goes, and as far as I am concerned way overrated, and over costly.  Start in Massachusetts on Cape Ann(Gloucester, Rockport, Annisquam,) and and hug the coast all the way to Campobello.  :)

Written By: Henk on 11/13/12 at 5:12 am

Canada:  Ontario, Quebec
USA:  New York State

My list is just about as impressive:

The Netherlands (because it's where I live), Belgium, Luxembourg (once) and Germany (only by accident  ;D :D ;)).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 10:31 am

The northeast coast is spectacular. Stay away from Cape Cod, it is where everyone goes, and as far as I am concerned way overrated, and over costly.  Start in Massachusetts on Cape Ann(Gloucester, Rockport, Annisquam,) and and hug the coast all the way to Campobello.  :)

When we were living in Mass (Chicopee), we took a trip to Plymouth Plantation. When we were leaving, we were literately at a crossroads. One way said to home the other to Cape Cod. My mother was driving and asked us if we wanted to go to Cape Cod. Of course we did. So, she turned in the opposite way of home. She drove as far as the road went and she stopped the car. I was the only one who got out. I ran to the water, put my hand into it, ran back to the car. We then went home. That was our BIG trip to Cape Cod.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/13/12 at 10:42 am

Yes, especially the northern section of Acadia, near Winter Harbor.  But inland is also spectacular, like the White Mts. park, Franconia Notch etc, and Vermont too

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 11:10 am

Yes, especially the northern section of Acadia, near Winter Harbor.  But inland is also spectacular, like the White Mts. park, Franconia Notch etc, and Vermont too

Beautiful places. I'd like to visit them again. As I've said before, North East NY, Vermont & New Hampshire are my favorite places in the US to visit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 11:42 am

Beautiful places. I'd like to visit them again. As I've said before, North East NY, Vermont & New Hampshire are my favorite places in the US to visit.

If you come to Vermont, you have a place to stay.  ;)

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/13/12 at 12:55 pm

Live in the UK

In Europe I have also been to Ireland, France, Cyprus, Italy, Spain and several of the Spanish islands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Monaco and Iceland.

I have also been to Canada and lived in the US in Connecticut.

States I have visited: Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Florida, Maryland, DC, California, Utah, Arizona, New Jersey, Nevada and South Dakota.  Plus a couple of others when changing planes. And maybe another state I've forgotten about!

Hoping to get back to the US next year.

Australia and New Zealand are on my list of places I'd like to visit

Check for new replies or respond here...