inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What date should mall/stores start playing Christmas music

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 1:41 pm

Reason I'm posting this, Shoppers Drug Mart (a store in Canada) started playing Christmas music on Nov 1st ( just after halloween). Enough people complained that they turned it off.  Personally, I think that date is too early as well.

So what date do you think stores and malls should start playing Christmas Music ?

Subject: Re: What date should mall/stores start playing Christmas music

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/13/12 at 1:47 pm

Late November/Early December. We celebrate 'Advent' over here in Germany (the last 4 Sundays before Christmas), so I would say, just shortly before the 1st Advent (if the 1st Advent is in November). December, 1st would be a good start date if 1st Advent falls into the first week of December (which is the case this year).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 1:50 pm

What bothers me more than the music is the decorations. We were in Sears BEFORE Halloween and they already had their Christmas decorations up. This weekend coming back from visiting my mother, there were a few houses which already had their decorations up. Went to Rite Aid yesterday and everything was Christmas. OY VEY!!!! I wish they would at least wait until Thanksgiving (here in the States) was over first. Or better yet, just wait until Dec. They have a whole month to display the decorations and the play the music.

Bah humbug!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/12 at 1:52 pm

Ideally, never at all!

If have to just a week before Christmas.

...and if a shop is playing a Christmas song I do not like, I wiil walk out.

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 1:54 pm

What bothers me more than the music is the decorations. We were in Sears BEFORE Halloween and they already had their Christmas decorations up. This weekend coming back from visiting my mother, there were a few houses which already had their decorations up. Went to Rite Aid yesterday and everything was Christmas. OY VEY!!!! I wish they would at least wait until Thanksgiving (here in the States) was over first. Or better yet, just wait until Dec. They have a whole month to display the decorations and the play the music.

Bah humbug!

Cat

Before halloween? I'm surprised. I thought because Canadian thanksgiving is in early October, stores just can't wait to throw Christmas at us and make us BUY BUY BUY SPEND SPEND SPEND just after halloween. In the USA, thanksgiving happens on the 4th thursday in November, so I assume stores will wait until Black Friday or just after that to throw Christmas in your face.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 2:01 pm

Before halloween? I'm surprised. I thought because Canadian thanksgiving is in early October, stores just can't wait to throw Christmas at us and make us BUY BUY BUY SPEND SPEND SPEND just after halloween. In the USA, thanksgiving happens on the 4th thursday in November, so I assume stores will wait until Black Friday or just after that to throw Christmas in your face.

Nope. They want us to SPEND SPEND SPEND too, but they want us to do it earlier & earlier. I have even seen some Christmas sales in July.  :o :o :o :o  Of course, that was a bit of a gimmick. The ads would show Santa on the beach.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/13/12 at 4:26 pm

If I had my own store, I'd start playing Christmas music on July 7th.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/12 at 5:10 pm

The rule in my house/work is no decorations or Xmas music until dec 8th. I think the rest of the world should follow suit.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/13/12 at 5:26 pm

The rule in my house/work is no decorations or Xmas music until dec 8th. I think the rest of the world should follow suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxi0zCdGEY

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 6:03 pm

Hmmm, I wonder why?

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/12 at 6:12 pm

Just the other day, I heard the 70s song "Hey, Mr. Christmas" by Showaddywaddy while I was in Value Village (Canadian thrift store).  The odd part was that song was not even a hit in Canada.

I love hearing Christmas music in November.  I wish Christmas would never end.  It really is the most wonderful time of the year :)

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 6:15 pm

Hmmm, I wonder why?

Cat

It was the same rule at my house coz my mom's birthday was also on the 7th

Written By: Jessica on 11/13/12 at 10:12 pm

Mwahahahahaahahahahahahaahaha!!!!!

Written By: wildcard on 11/13/12 at 10:15 pm

I'd rather just shop and not hear anything.  Too easy for me to get distracted by anything and must focus on what I'm doing anyway.  I don't want to hear about Rudolph  or anything or I might start singing my I Shot The Reindeer parody.

Written By: snozberries on 11/14/12 at 12:51 am

It was the same rule at my house coz my mom's birthday was also on the 7th

Well at least your mom got one thing right.

(Hope that wasnt too insensitive)

Written By: warped on 11/14/12 at 6:18 am

Well at least your mom got one thing right.

(Hope that wasnt too insensitive)

;D  It's 1 of only  2 things she got right in her life.

Written By: snozberries on 11/14/12 at 8:19 am

;D  It's 1 of only  2 things she got right in her life.

What was the other? ???

Never mind- I figured it out.  ;)

O0

Written By: meesa on 11/14/12 at 12:56 pm

about a week before it is ok for me..but it also depends upon the song. Nat King Cole singing about chestnuts roasting on an open fire is wonderful! Some dude singing about how g'ma got ran over by a reindeer is...not.  8-P

And don't get me started on the Carol of the Bells- "Ding fries are done, ding fries are done.."

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090719183911/familyguy/images/5/56/Ding_Fries_are_Done.jpg

;D

Written By: warped on 11/14/12 at 4:17 pm

I don’t wanna hear Christmas songs until Dec 1st at the earliest, I'd be happier with mid-December. I don't care if they play Bing Crosby songs or Grandma got run over by a reindeer. I just hope they don’t play them at the same time.

I also like to hear Adam Sandler’s hanukkah song in December. O0

Written By: belmont22 on 11/14/12 at 7:44 pm

I said just a week before Christmas. Though the 15th isn't absurdly early either.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/15/12 at 5:06 am

I said just a week before Christmas.

Is there no general Christmas mood all over December where you live?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/15/12 at 5:10 am

Another question:

When do shops generally start to sell Christmas food and candy? In Germany it's typical for the second half of September/Early October, and I think, it's TOO early. Since I live in a cold region, it's so weird to see Christmas goodies in the shops while still wearing T-shirts and shorts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/12 at 5:16 am

I said just a week before Christmas. Though the 15th isn't absurdly early either.
Julian or Gregorian calendar?

Written By: warped on 11/15/12 at 6:43 am

Julian or Gregorian calendar?

Let's use the calendar we've been using for several hundred years, shall we?  ;)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/17/12 at 1:59 pm

For malls I'd say around Thanksgiving, but I've been listening to Christmas music since late October :P

Written By: wildcard on 11/17/12 at 5:18 pm

about a week before it is ok for me..but it also depends upon the song. Nat King Cole singing about chestnuts roasting on an open fire is wonderful! Some dude singing about how g'ma got ran over by a reindeer is...not.  8-P

How about Grim Reaper Ran Over By A John Deere?  http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional1444.shtml

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/19/12 at 11:41 pm

I think radio stations can start playing it in November (since you can at least change the station), but malls and stuff? The day after Thanksgiving.

And you can put up you outdoor decorations (i.e., lights) before Thanksgiving IF it's the last foreseeable "nice day" out.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/12 at 9:07 am

Yesterday, we took a trip up north to visit with the kids. Whenever we have a long drive (an hour & a half one way), we usually listen to an audiobook. We have a device that plugs into the lighter and we can listen to it through the FM radio. After about an hour, we kept getting static so we needed to change the station. When we did, they were playing, "Feliz Navidad". After our visit with the kids, we started to head home. As we started up the car & the audiobook, again the radio was on, and guess what they were playing.  Yup-"Feliz Navidad" AGAIN!!! To be fair, the first one was about 11 or so in the morning. The second time about about 4 in the afternoon. However, you think people listen to their station ALL day and I'm sure they don't want to hear the same songs over & over & over again.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 11/20/12 at 11:02 am

thats another reason I don't really want to hear Christmas music, some places play the same somgs and even if I did change stations, I'll probably hear the same songs.  I'll just sing them myself or just leave it on my oldies that doesn't replace all the music with Christmas music.

Christmas is a time to say I love you

Written By: loki 13 on 11/21/12 at 4:34 pm

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, most people are thankful for family and friends, the food on the table
and for good health. When I was a mere lad I was never thankful for those things, selfish...I know,
but what Thanksgiving meant to me was the start of the Christmas season. The smell of a cooking
turkey meant the the songs, the lights and the specials were just a few weeks away. Then came the
greatest of all Holidays. The anticipation is what made Christmas so special but the anticipation is gone,
the season is pushed so far ahead that by the time it gets here we're sick to death of Christmas.
Oh, how I long for those days.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:13 am

A few weeks before Christmas not after Thanksgiving.

Written By: meesa on 12/12/12 at 11:54 am

How about Grim Reaper Ran Over By A John Deere?  http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional1444.shtml

;D ;D ;D Good one!

Written By: karen on 12/12/12 at 12:02 pm

We wait until at least then.

Written By: karen on 12/12/12 at 12:03 pm

A few weeks before Christmas not after Thanksgiving.

:-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:27 pm

:-\\

I was saying that after Thanksgiving is a bit early to be playing Christmas music.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/12 at 8:33 pm

I was saying that after Thanksgiving is a bit early to be playing Christmas music.

But Christmas is after Thanksgiving....

Written By: warped on 12/12/12 at 8:37 pm

I think I'm the onle one here who understands Howard's post here.

How I read it: Howard thinks they should play Christmas music just a few weeks before Christmas, but not as early as "right after Thanksgiving". That would be too early.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/12 at 8:49 am

But Christmas is after Thanksgiving....

I know that. I think radio stations play the stuff way too early.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/12 at 8:50 am

How I read it: Howard thinks they should play Christmas music just a few weeks before Christmas, but not as early as "right after Thanksgiving". That would be too early.

exactly, who wants to get into the spirit the day after Thanksgiving?

Written By: karen on 12/13/12 at 2:40 pm

You should be very worried

Written By: warped on 12/13/12 at 3:03 pm

You should be very worried

I am "warped"  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...