inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The decadalogy witchhunts need to end

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/12 at 10:06 am

There aren't that many of these threads here, and when reported they get deleted.  Sabotaging a thread by yelling decadology in it is a dick move.  Report and let the mods decide if it's a decadology thread.

If the person who started the mid-2010 thread wants to try again, feel free.  There was too much bickering for me to figure out if it was even a legitimate thread.

Subject: Re: The decadalogy witchhunts need to end

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/20/12 at 1:09 pm

I really wish you would have taken the time to read that thread, because it reeked of decadeology.  It was smack full of it. 

I personally feel like you just slapped me in the face, Chucky.  You are the one who posted the anti decadeology rules in the first place.  And I don't feel like anyone has done any sort of witch hunting.  We are just sick to death of trolls who mug up the board with ridiculous and meaningless threads.  If we call someone out we are bullies?  There are hundreds of threads that actually engage real talk and opinions.  Why don't any of these new posters post in those?

There are a lot of members that have been here for years.  Do you care about your core group - the people that built this board up, or do you care about people that post as guests half the time?  Sure, there is drama and fighting, but it's the internet.  I am pretty sure that is half the reason it was invented.

I don't know.  I just feel like you just told all of the trolls and decadeologists that they can have free reign.  And that's fine if that is the kind of board you want, but I certainly won't want to be a part of it.  And if you ban me for having an opinion on the matter then so be it.

Written By: warped on 11/20/12 at 1:16 pm

I really wish you would have taken the time to read that thread, because it reeked of decadeology.  It was smack full of it. 

I personally feel like you just slapped me in the face, Chucky.  You are the one who posted the anti decadeology rules in the first place.  And I don't feel like anyone has done any sort of witch hunting.  We are just sick to death of trolls who mug up the board with ridiculous and meaningless threads.  If we call someone out we are bullies?  There are hundreds of threads that actually engage real talk and opinions.  Why don't any of these new posters post in those?

There are a lot of members that have been here for years.  Do you care about your core group - the people that built this board up, or do you care about people that post as guests half the time?  Sure, there is drama and fighting, but it's the internet.  I am pretty sure that is half the reason it was invented.

I don't know. I just feel like you just told all of the trolls and decadeologists that they can have free reign.  And that's fine if that is the kind of board you want, but I certainly won't want to be a part of it.  And if you ban me for having an opinion on the matter then so be it.

Thanks for posting this Ash. I will support you in this.  And also, if you (Chuck) want to have me banned for supporting Ash, so be it.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/20/12 at 1:20 pm

I don't know.  I just feel like you just told all of the trolls and decadeologists that they can have free reign.  And that's fine if that is the kind of board you want, but I certainly won't want to be a part of it.  And if you ban me for having an opinion on the matter then so be it.

Er, I highly suspect a lot of those guests are well-established members making fun of the pop culture geeks here.

Has it ever occurred to you maybe some people here don't care about Dexter or X-Factor? Yet, I never see people go into those threads and talk crap about them. And I will never spam them under an alias like I highly suspect is done all the time on the pop culture threads. Your right to post there is totally legit, and as long as the threads aren't blatant decadeology but rather just discussion of pop culture stats, items, songs, trends, fashions, films, and so on, they are totally legit as well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/12 at 1:46 pm

you know what, I'm sure it was.  But when it's filled with name calling and bickering I can't be buggered to read through all the nonsense and figure out if it was.  When you make the moderators job harder, they tend to just say to hell with it after awhile.  I've stated time and time again, REPORT IT.  Don't respond to it. So guess what, if you don't want to listen, I don't want to spend the time carefully evaluating every post.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/20/12 at 2:46 pm

Except it wasn't. No one in that thread was comparing 2013 to 1993 or 1982 or 1924 or 1740. People have really deluded themselves into thinking that all decade-related threads they don't like are decadology.

You all either need to formally expand the definition of decadology in those sticky threads, or stop pretending things are that aren't.

Written By: Inertia on 11/20/12 at 3:32 pm

Wow, there is so much hostility in this thread! I have no idea which topic every one is talking about but I hope the differences are resolved soon.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/20/12 at 3:43 pm

Wow, there is so much hostility in this thread! I have no idea which topic every one is talking about but I hope the differences are resolved soon.

"The mid-10's start in 3 months... " or something like that. It has been deleted.

Written By: Inertia on 11/20/12 at 3:52 pm

"The mid-10's start in 3 months... " or something like that. It has been deleted.

I think I remember which thread you are talking about now.

It is a shame this issue seems to be creating a divide between members. ;\

Forums should be a constructive environment.

I really hope all involved make peace with one another. ^^

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/12 at 5:16 pm

I think I remember which thread you are talking about now.

It is a shame this issue seems to be creating a divide between members. ;\

Forums should be a constructive environment.

I really hope all involved make peace with one another. ^^

If people didn't make such a huge deal out of it, and just quietly reported it, the problem would have gone away, a VERY long time ago.  Trolls feed on the attention, and some people just can't resist feeding them no matter how often they have been told not to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/12 at 5:35 pm

BTW:  I'm done giving a sheesh about decadology.  If you don't report it, don't bitch about it being on the site. If you crap all over threads instead of reporting it, don't expect me to care about your whining later. I am seriously amazed at how childish some long time members act lately. 

Written By: Inertia on 11/20/12 at 6:06 pm

If people didn't make such a huge deal out of it, and just quietly reported it, the problem would have gone away, a VERY long time ago.  Trolls feed on the attention, and some people just can't resist feeding them no matter how often they have been told not to.

:] I agree.

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/12 at 11:12 am

First off, I will take full responsibility for my actions.  I apologize, I should have just reported them, and I shouldn't have egged them on or sabotaged the posts, no matter how amusing it is.  Yeah, I get pleasure out of being an asshole sometimes, but I think you already knew that.  I do have a few other things to say, though, and none of them are pleasant.

It's all well and good to report posts, but what happens when NOTHING IS DONE?  There have been times I've reported things, and the mods just sat on their hands, because they were unsure of whether or not to delete it.  Or they just weren't around and things escalated.

I'm also not buying the whole "if you report it quietly, it will go away".  We saw what resulted from DD, and yeah, how did that work out again?  We reported and reported and reported, and he never went away, did he?  Hell, I'm sure he's still lurking about somewhere, getting his jollies from the fact that he has caused so much strife.

I think it is also a massive cop out on your part to not even take some responsibility for letting this crap run wild for so long.  You and Tam are the ones that implemented the rules against decadeology, and for you to just say, "Oh, it's up to YOU to tell me about it, otherwise I don't care" is just a load of horseshyt.  You can't police your own boards?  Is it too much trouble or something to take action on the thing you created?  You can't take a stroll through individual boards and see if something screams, "DECADEOLOGY?"

And before you even say it, yes I am aware you have a life and can't be here 24/7, but why don't you give some moderating jobs to people who will actually, oh, I don't know, MODERATE?

That is all.  I don't expect or want an answer.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/12 at 12:00 pm

Look, I used to be one of the biggest anti-decadeologists here, but not anymore.  It just seems like such a colossally trivial thing to get upset about. I mean, sure, a lot of the decadeology threads are stupid, and I might mock them once in a while, but I don't have anything personal against any of the people who start them. Belmont22, MarkMc1990, Inlandsvagen1986, and the other youngsters (and I don't mean that in a condescending manner, it's just for lack of a better term) all seem like decent enough people to me and are deserving of the respect that comes with being a member of this board. Not once have I seen any of them act sh!tty or hostile towards anyone, yet when people try to pile on the youngsters and they try to defend themselves, they're the a-holes. It's a bunch of crap.  >:(

And to the long-time members: Why DO you care so much about whether a thread may or may not be decadeology? Why does it generate so much hostility and rage within you? Why is it even an issue? It's such a pointless thing to get upset about.

I'm siding with the youngsters on this one. To be honest, you (the long-timers) are all acting like a bunch of babies. I don't care if I'm burning any bridges here, I just gotta say what I gotta say. If you feel that decadeology is such a grave threat to the well-being of this board (which it is not), then by all means, keep doing what you're doing. But let it be known that I am breaking ranks with you.

And do you know why?

Because I do NOT want to turn into this guy.

http://mellywilliams.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/principal_edward_r-_rooney_43.jpg

Which, quite frankly, is what you've all become.  :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/21/12 at 1:15 pm

I mean, sure, a lot of the decadeology threads are stupid, and I might mock them once in a while, but I don't have anything personal against any of the people who start them. Belmont22, MarkMc1990, Inlandsvagen1986, and the other youngsters (and I don't mean that in a condescending manner, it's just for lack of a better term)

I have never started a 'decadeology thread'. Actually I have never started a thread in this forum at all.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/12 at 2:48 pm

I have never started a 'decadeology thread'. Actually I have never started a thread in this forum at all.

My mistake. I apologize.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/12 at 3:55 pm

It's all well and good to report posts, but what happens when NOTHING IS DONE?  There have been times I've reported things, and the mods just sat on their hands, because they were unsure of whether or not to delete it.  Or they just weren't around and things escalated.

really? because I get all the moderation requests in my inbox whether they are looked at or not, and guess what.  I see maybe five or six IN A WEEK.  Hardly a rash of reports clogging my inbox the past two months.  I also usually just get "decadalogy" as a reason, and guess what, they aren't sometimes.  Sometimes it's just something stupid.

I know Donnie is back, I know who he is.. and I know I'm probably going to ban him once more, because he doesn't get the hint that the stuff is not wanted by more than two other people here.

People need to get over this fixation.  Needlessly fretting over every thread about whether it's "decadalogy" or not is pointless.  It's by no means clogging up the site to the extant people seem to think it is.

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/12 at 5:31 pm

I don't care if they post their decadeology topics, but the name calling was a bit much though, and not something I ever was a part of.

There was one recent instance where I posted some random jargon in a decadeology topic just to be an ass, and they turned it into a serious discussion.  Did I enjoy wrecking that decadeology topic?  I will admit I did.  Was I upset that they turned it into a serious discussion?  Yes.  I like wrecking decadeology topics.  I do.  I know that's bad, but can you blame me or anyone else that is guilty of it?  They make it soooo easy.

It's like going into a high rise and pushing all the buttons in the elevator.  You know you shouldn't do it, but you just can't resist!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/12 at 5:32 pm

And let me tell YOU something, CHUCKY G, I don't care!  You hear me?  I don't care one little bit!!!!
>:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/12 at 5:50 pm

I know it is asking WAY too much for people to just be civil to each other. I don't expect everyone to sit around holding hands and sing Kumbya or anything. I am afraid that this is making a lot of people-many whom I consider as friends, think about leaving. I have been here for 10 years and I have seen people come and go. Some leave by choice, others are banned. I have seen these flair ups happen a lot. Some leave-and many of those have returned. 

My advise to people, take a breather for a while. Things will calm down here again. They always do. I just don't think what is going on here is worth getting super upset about. But, that is my opinion.

Peace.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/12 at 7:15 pm

Look, I used to be one of the biggest anti-decadeologists here, but not anymore.  It just seems like such a colossally trivial thing to get upset about. I mean, sure, a lot of the decadeology threads are stupid, and I might mock them once in a while, but I don't have anything personal against any of the people who start them. Belmont22, MarkMc1990, Inlandsvagen1986, and the other youngsters (and I don't mean that in a condescending manner, it's just for lack of a better term) all seem like decent enough people to me and are deserving of the respect that comes with being a member of this board. Not once have I seen any of them act sh!tty or hostile towards anyone, yet when people try to pile on the youngsters and they try to defend themselves, they're the a-holes. It's a bunch of crap.  >:(

And to the long-time members: Why DO you care so much about whether a thread may or may not be decadeology? Why does it generate so much hostility and rage within you? Why is it even an issue? It's such a pointless thing to get upset about.

I'm siding with the youngsters on this one. To be honest, you (the long-timers) are all acting like a bunch of babies. I don't care if I'm burning any bridges here, I just gotta say what I gotta say. If you feel that decadeology is such a grave threat to the well-being of this board (which it is not), then by all means, keep doing what you're doing. But let it be known that I am breaking ranks with you.

Which, quite frankly, is what you've all become.  :P

your turn surpised me because I've seen you give worse than I've ever given.

do I give a rat's ass about the people behind the posts? Not really....but I will admit the incessant discussions bug the crap out of me. I don't know why they do...they just do...

I'm backing off for now but I'm not happy about it. I'm glad to see Chucky has realized that DD is back. That was quite evident to many of us.  I hope that DD realizes we saw it too...

At any rate if the moderator of the boards wants to let the boards fall into the hands of whiny millenials who am I to stop it.  Why should I care more about the boards than the person who created them.

personally I'm done with it...

Written By: wildcard on 11/21/12 at 7:32 pm

I myself find it pointless and I stay away from it

Written By: Inertia on 11/21/12 at 8:46 pm

your turn surpised me because I've seen you give worse than I've ever given.

do I give a rat's ass about the people behind the posts? Not really....but I will admit the incessant discussions bug the crap out of me. I don't know why they do...they just do...

I'm backing off for now but I'm not happy about it. I'm glad to see Chucky has realized that DD is back. That was quite evident to many of us.  I hope that DD realizes we saw it too...

At any rate if the moderator of the boards wants to let the boards fall into the hands of whiny millenials who am I to stop it.  Why should I care more about the boards than the person who created them.

personally I'm done with it...

Whiny millennials? o.o

Anyway, I agree with Cat, I would hate to see people quit the board over something such as this.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/12 at 8:52 pm

Whiny millennials? o.o

Anyway, I agree with Cat, I would hate to see people quit the board over something such as this.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you (in fact i dont think we've ever exchanged negative posts.  Could be wrong about that but i certainly dont recall it).

However how I assess some of the others. It's my opinion...I stand by it

Written By: Inertia on 11/21/12 at 8:55 pm

I wasn't necessarily talking about you (in fact i dont think we've ever exchanged negative posts.  Could be wrong about that but i certainly dont recall it).

However how I assess some of the others. It's my opinion...I stand by it

No, we haven't. You are always very pleasant to me. ^^

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/12 at 8:58 pm

No, we haven't. You are always very pleasant to me. ^^

Thank you. So are you  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/22/12 at 12:41 am

Well-said, ChuckyG.

For the record, I apologize for my occasional outbursts of snark.  My real position for anyone on either "side" who thinks there's a "battle" that needs to be "won", is somewhat like this:

http://images.wikia.com/disney/images/f/f6/3392885.jpg

So I'm just gonna leave that there for historical reference.  There are no "sides", it's (long past) time to bury the hatchet, mumble mumble something love and tolerate something something Celestia.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/12 at 6:05 am

Alright, so I've been giving it some thought: what is it that I dislike about decadeology?

The answer: nothing, in essence. Plain and simple. It may be pointless, meaningless or plain silly in my opinion, but that's not a reason to have it banned completely. Heck, this board is flooded with pointless, meaningless and silly topics, when you think about it. (My opinion)
The only reason I see why decadeology was (is) banned, is because one former member/decadeology fanatic flooded the boards with numerous new topics/posts a day, with basically all the same content. Now if that's a criterium to have things banned, maybe we should dismantle the entire PBG section.

And for what it's worth: I have the impression that the latest wave of decadeologists (if you allow me to call you by that name) to hit these boards are of a far more civilized nature than said former member.
At least your topics make far more sense (to me). But maybe that's because they're not really decadeology. ;)

FTR: Yes, I have reported topics or posts in the (recent) past. I don't make a habit of it, and I'm generally lenient (at least I like to think so), but violating the rules can not be tolerated IMHO. That goes for everyone, not just decadeologists.

I apologize to anyone that I may have offended by my responses. I'm human too, which means I also got a dark(er) side.
I'd particularly like to make an apology to Belmont22 for reporting his Poll (yes, that was me). The topic was highly flammable, IMO, and I felt like it would spiral out of control in no time. To prevent people from starting a flame war (on anyone) I thought it wiser to have it removed. Maybe I was wrong about that, we'll never know. Feel free to start it anew - I won't be bothering you.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 6:13 am

I apologize to anyone that I may have offended by my responses. I'm human too, which means I also got a dark(er) side.
I'd particularly like to make an apology to Belmont22 for reporting his Poll (yes, that was me). The topic was highly flammable, IMO, and I felt like it would spiral out of control in no time. To prevent people from starting a flame war (on anyone) I thought it wiser to have it removed. Maybe I was wrong about that, we'll never know. Feel free to start it anew - I won't be bothering you.

I'm actually glad you deleted it. I made it out of annoyance and regretted making it. Thank you for reporting it actually.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/12 at 6:19 am

I'm actually glad you deleted it. I made it out of annoyance and regretted making it. Thank you for reporting it actually.

I know the feeling!  ;) I have posted comments for the same reason in the past, and it's never a smart move.

Written By: ninny on 11/22/12 at 6:55 am

I guess I need to start to read more things in here. Okay like the old saying goes "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks." So what's the big deal, someone writes something some are going to agree others disagree that's life. This is also a good way to get a good discussion going and forums often need that boost.

Written By: warped on 11/22/12 at 7:49 am

I know it is asking WAY too much for people to just be civil to each other. I don't expect everyone to sit around holding hands and sing Kumbya or anything. I am afraid that this is making a lot of people-many whom I consider as friends, think about leaving. I have been here for 10 years and I have seen people come and go. Some leave by choice, others are banned. I have seen these flair ups happen a lot. Some leave-and many of those have returned. 

My advise to people, take a breather for a while. Things will calm down here again. They always do. I just don't think what is going on here is worth getting super upset about. But, that is my opinion.

Peace.

Cat

I think what you wrote is beautiful and comes from your heart. I am also saddened that this is making a lot of people -many whom you consider as friends (the long time members) think about leaving. 

You are obviously a very caring and loving person, and I think people would be lucky to have you as a friend.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/22/12 at 10:38 am

I think what you wrote is beautiful and comes from your heart. I am also saddened that this is making a lot of people -many whom you consider as friends (the long time members) think about leaving. 

You are obviously a very caring and loving person, and I think people would be lucky to have you as a friend.

Ditto that

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/12 at 11:37 am

Ditto that

Oh man, you guys are going to make me blush and cry.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...