inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quality vs Quantity

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/13 at 6:42 pm

How many people here are concerned with your post count? And if you are so concerned about your post count-why? You don't get anything if you achieve so many. It seems like there are some people are so concerned with their post count that they just post for the sake of posting and it doesn't matter why. 

As for me, I never know how many I have because I never look at the count. Nor do I look at my karma count. Personally, I think quality is much better than quantity.

Cat

Subject: Re: Quality vs Quantity

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/13 at 6:51 pm

Post count doesn't affect me either way so I pay no attention either. 

Written By: warped on 01/07/13 at 6:54 pm

There are people concerned with their post counts? Why?

As for myself, they can eliminate the column with "post count" underneath my ID, and I don't care.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/07/13 at 6:58 pm

When I first joined here I remember thinking that I was expected to get a certain number of posts. Then as time went on, I said oh well it doesn't matter how many posts I have. Now I just post for fun :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/07/13 at 7:01 pm

Apricot/Tubeway General used to have this in his sig line, I thought I'd hang on to it.  ;)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/thepostwhoredance.gif

Written By: Howard on 01/07/13 at 7:57 pm

I'm not concerned it doesn't bother me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/13 at 8:01 pm

I'm not concerned one little bit.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/13 at 8:10 pm

I'm not concerned one little bit.

That's cuz you're number one.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/13 at 8:11 pm

I think the same question can be asked about starting threads.  :-\\

Written By: warped on 01/07/13 at 8:16 pm

I think the same question can be asked about starting threads.  :-\\

Lots of threads in the past few months are so similar to each other, and overlapping. I have noticed that.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/13 at 8:24 pm

That's cuz you're number one.  :D

and I think I'm number 2 or 3.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/13 at 8:24 pm

and I think I'm number 2 or 3.

You're number 3

I'm number 4 apparently  :D

Who knew. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/13 at 8:18 am

Lots of threads in the past few months are so similar to each other, and overlapping. I have noticed that.

That is the main reason why I started this thread. The people who have started those threads seem to me more concerned with quantity rather than quality.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 01/08/13 at 9:13 am

How many people here are concerned with your post count? And if you are so concerned about your post count-why? You don't get anything if you achieve so many. It seems like there are some people are so concerned with their post count that they just post for the sake of posting and it doesn't matter why. 

As for me, I never know how many I have because I never look at the count. Nor do I look at my karma count. Personally, I think quality is much better than quantity.

Cat

I used to be concerned about my post count in the past, racking up posts in PBG, but not so much anymore. I mean, it would be nice to finally achieve 25,000...but there's no hurry. ;)

As for karma count... well, I don't keep track of that anymore, since we lost the karma rankings with the latest update.

That is the main reason why I started this thread. The people who have started those threads seem to me more concerned with quantity rather than quality.

Cat

Not sure if I agree with you. I think they just feel the need to start new topics, regardless of their post count. I'm not even sure any of them are aware of their current post count.
It's refreshing to see this much action on the boards, although most of the topics started do not spark my interest. That's why I also feel this surge will slowly die. (Lack of interest with other posters, or the OP losing interest themselves) We've all gone through fases like that, I think - at least I have.

Written By: meesa on 01/08/13 at 12:37 pm

Cat

Laughing at myself,  I had to look at mine once I read this cause I don't pay attention to how many I have.  ;D In fact, feel kinda guilty that I don't start more topics, but everyone is so good about creating topics that I can't get through all that I would like to as it is!  :)
But you are right, quality is better than quantity.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/13 at 2:08 pm

You're number 3

I'm number 4 apparently  :D

Who knew. ???

Well, we're the veterans.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/13 at 9:24 pm

I used to be all about post counts until I went into old posts I had made years ago and just started deleting ones that no one responded to.  I wanted to lower my average post percentage rate lol

Written By: loki 13 on 01/08/13 at 9:53 pm

I have always thought Quality, If I don't have something pertinent to say I don't usually say it.
That is evident because I am 8th in most time online with 242 days 26 minutes but near the bottom
in post with post count average of 2.086 per day.

I am not completely guiltless, I posted some pretty insipid things in my time here but it's usually to make a point.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/13 at 11:21 am

I hop tha quelitei of my post is good for this webbsite. I hetes it wen peepleq don't pay attepnrton to their gramemar!

Enuf of this sooilleness from posteasr.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/13 at 2:32 pm

I hop tha quelitei of my post is good for this webbsite. I hetes it wen peepleq don't pay attepnrton to their gramemar!

Enuf of this sooilleness from posteasr.

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/13 at 3:52 pm

;D

It was my crazy evil twin.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/13 at 10:27 pm

I hear when you get to 100,000 posts, Chucky comes to your house and gives you a hot oil rubdown!
8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/13 at 12:56 am

In all seriousness, sometimes I just want to see a well thought out post and see someone show off their musclebrain! Flex it and show me how smart you are.  8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/13 at 11:25 am

In all seriousness, sometimes I just want to see a well thought out post and see someone show off their musclebrain! Flex it and show me how smart you are.  8)

the problem is... the kind of posts that Cat's talking about... I think... are the ones where the poster believes they are flexing their muscle brain.

They seem to think they are having an articulate, intellectual conversation about something fascinating when really many of us see it as incoherent rambling about an insignificant subject matter.

sorry if I misinterpreted you Cat,  that's how I see it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

also, I defend my lack of proper punctuation on my need to get my thoughts out.... properly punctuating slows me down...as does properly capitalizing...  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/13 at 11:46 am

the problem is... the kind of posts that Cat's talking about... I think... are the ones where the poster believes they are flexing their muscle brain.

They seem to think they are having an articulate, intellectual conversation about something fascinating when really many of us see it as incoherent rambling about an insignificant subject matter.

sorry if I misinterpreted you Cat,  that's how I see it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

also, I defend my lack of proper punctuation on my need to get my thoughts out.... properly punctuating slows me down...as does properly capitalizing...  :P

You have not misinterpreted at all. You are spot on.

I hear when you get to 100,000 posts, Chucky comes to your house and gives you a hot oil rubdown!
8)

Oh man, don't tell people that, because then they will all want one-I know I do.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/11/13 at 12:34 pm

You have not misinterpreted at all. You are spot on.

Incoherent rambling  ;D  I really thought I was the only one who felt that way...I guess not.

And they seem to want to put labels on every...single...insignificant thing.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/13 at 8:22 pm

8)

I don't want one!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/12/13 at 7:01 pm

8)

Well, he's safe for a while :)

But, umm, PONY!  (Guilty as charged :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/13 at 7:09 pm

Or doling out unsolicited advice.
:)

Written By: warped on 01/12/13 at 7:16 pm

Or posting/arguing what qualifies as an 80s, 90s, 2000s kid in 20 to 30 different topics.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/13 at 7:43 pm

Or doling out unsolicited advice.
:)

Whatever  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/12/13 at 7:44 pm

Or posting/arguing what qualifies as an 80s, 90s, 2000s kid in 20 to 30 different topics.

I agree with that.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/13 at 8:29 pm

I

don't

care

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/13 at 8:30 pm

about

quantity

lol

Written By: warped on 01/26/13 at 6:08 pm

What I also find is that some many of the new threads are so similar, or if they aren't similar to start with, they all turn into "what is a 80s or 90s or 00s kid" or "what was the 90s or am I a 90s kid " stuff type thread or just the same stuff over and over and over as other threads. 
That's why it isn't a shock to me that some of the older regulars have left, partly because of this. I read some older treads and I really feel bad for other regulars who left before "the first time this decado.." stuff happened.  :-\\

sad :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/13 at 7:19 pm

What I also find is that some many of the new threads are so similar, or if they aren't similar to start with, they all turn into "what is a 80s or 90s or 00s kid" or "what was the 90s or am I a 90s kid " stuff type thread or just the same stuff over and over and over as other threads. 
That's why it isn't a shock to me that some of the older regulars have left, partly because of this. I read some older treads and I really feel bad for other regulars who left before "the first time this decado.." stuff happened.  :-\\

This is why I'm posting less and less there really aren't very many good discussions happening any longer. In one of those threads one of the posters tried to defend the topic saying it was several pages long. I went back and looked at the posts. After you eliminated guests lost there were only 5 or 6 contributors to the thread. I don't consider that popular.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/26/13 at 7:25 pm

I didn't want to say anything before, but I too have noticed this.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/13 at 8:14 pm

plus they get repetetive a lot.

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/13 at 8:41 pm

plus they get repetetive a lot.

;D

Written By: warped on 01/26/13 at 8:48 pm

This is why I'm posting less and less

:-\\  I hope you don't leave too.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/13 at 7:17 am

:-\\  I hope you don't leave too.

Maybe she might be taking a break.

Written By: warped on 01/27/13 at 7:39 am

This is why I'm posting less and less there really aren't very many good discussions happening any longer. In one of those threads one of the posters tried to defend the topic saying it was several pages long. I went back and looked at the posts. After you eliminated guests lost there were only 5 or 6 contributors to the thread. I don't consider that popular.

Sometimes the guests are just "created" so that those posters can continue a discussion with themselves.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/13 at 7:52 am

EXACTLY!!!!!

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/27/13 at 8:02 am

EXACTLY!!!!!

Cat

Great minds...

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/13 at 9:09 pm

Sometimes the guests are just "created" so that those posters can continue a discussion with themselves.

This is why I think guests shouldn't be allowed to be as active here as they are. Maybe a guests questions thread where guests can ask the questions that bring them here but must be members to interact elsewhere on the boards. I don't know if its possible but I can dream.    :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/13 at 7:17 am

This is why I think guests shouldn't be allowed to be as active here as they are. Maybe a guests questions thread where guests can ask the questions that bring them here but must be members to interact elsewhere on the boards. I don't know if its possible but I can dream.    :-\\

I agree. There was a time when Chucky disabled the guest posting. I don't know why he reactivated it again.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/28/13 at 8:26 am

That is a good idea.

Written By: meesa on 01/28/13 at 9:07 am

After reading some of the (in my opinion) silly threads and becoming frustrated to the point that I got very snarky, I have made myself stop going there. I only go into threads now that don't have a reference to decades specifically. I also avoid threads that are made by certain posters because I know that no matter what the header, the subject is going to be the same-you know the ones I am talking about, they start with a question that sounds like it could be rhetorical in the header (do you feel/think such and such people born at such and such time were old enough to witness such and such events and feel such and such feelings- etc.)but once you read it, it really doesn't lead anywhere. I like coming here and learning new thoughts on old things and seeing other peoples point of view. Reminiscing about earlier times is also a big bonus to coming here, and knowing there are people here who have memories of this too. I like when the younger people have HONEST questions about nostalgic things and just want help. There are so many bright, informative and helpful people here! That is what makes this special. But I do not like coming here and reading the same arguments that are pointless and silly.

Written By: warped on 01/29/13 at 9:57 am

After reading some of the (in my opinion) silly threads and becoming frustrated to the point that I got very snarky, I have made myself stop going there. I only go into threads now that don't have a reference to decades specifically. I also avoid threads that are made by certain posters because I know that no matter what the header, the subject is going to be the same-you know the ones I am talking about, they start with a question that sounds like it could be rhetorical in the header (do you feel/think such and such people born at such and such time were old enough to witness such and such events and feel such and such feelings- etc.)but once you read it, it really doesn't lead anywhere. I like coming here and learning new thoughts on old things and seeing other peoples point of view. Reminiscing about earlier times is also a big bonus to coming here, and knowing there are people here who have memories of this too. I like when the younger people have HONEST questions about nostalgic things and just want help. There are so many bright, informative and helpful people here! That is what makes this special. But I do not like coming here and reading the same arguments that are pointless and silly.

I think everyone is sick of those threads, Meesa. I think the overwhelming majority of people wish that "certain posters" would stop flooding the board with these types of pointless and silly threads.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/13 at 3:29 pm

I think everyone is sick of those threads, Meesa. I think the overwhelming majority of people wish that "certain posters" would stop flooding the board with these types of pointless and silly threads.

It gets tough to even read all of them cause they get redundant and they're basically the very same subject.

Written By: Bobby on 01/31/13 at 10:51 pm

I'm not sure I can say much for either. I haven't been here for ages, lol.

I would like to think that people took more of an interest in my posts not how many of them were made. Technically, you could achieve a ridiculously high post count by just playing the one word board games.

Written By: Bobby on 01/31/13 at 10:53 pm

Inthe00s still has a problem with the 'decadeologists'? Wow, the more things change...  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/31/13 at 11:00 pm

I usually only pay attention until I've reached my 100th post on a board. I don't know, it's just a little milestone I like accomplishing. I have over 4100 posts here.
I enjoy this board. The ONE fudge I have bother's me because I don't know what I did or said to get it! LOL.

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 9:17 am

I agree with this. The only restriction a guest has, from what I understand, is The Playful Penguin Place at the moment. I think you are right, maybe a 'guests bring the questions' section would be enough to get them involved. We don't want to block the guests from looking at the sections on this site because we want them to be interested in becoming a member. Not allowing them to write posts on any other section here until they have become members gives a greater distinction between guest and member and a bigger incentive for joining.

Membership is free, non committal and has no privacy issues so there is no catch to doing this.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/01/13 at 7:40 pm

I usually only pay attention until I've reached my 100th post on a board. I don't know, it's just a little milestone I like accomplishing. I have over 4100 posts here.
I enjoy this board. The ONE fudge I have bother's me because I don't know what I did or said to get it! LOL.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it was probably one of the mass fudge bombings Jess is famous for.  Means nothing, she just does it.  That's where most of mine came from. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 7:59 pm

I don't worry about the quantity but more of the quality.

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 8:19 pm

The problem with the 'decadeologists' usually is they take a maths approach to things (if 1986 is 'a' and 1993 is 'b' then a+b= some crap they come up which they think is true) rather than an artistic approach to things ('I remember the smell of cut grass as I was playing on the front garden in Walker Avenue when I was 6 years old in 1986...'). Decadeologists don't seem to be interested in how years affect them emotionally, all they seem to be interested in is where those years fit in with them and I think that is because they equate a decade as having a sense of identity. As a result, some members talking about decadeology are neither 1980s or 1990s children so they try to forge an identity by pigeon-holing themselves into a decade one way or another (e.g 'I was born in 1985 but I am an 1980s child because I had Ghostbusters Ecto1 when I was 4 years old...').

However, because they can't resolve the conflict of identity based on which decade they belong to they come here trying to resolve that for themselves by partaking in pointless rhetorical arguments about decades.

Regardless, we live in a world of free speech and expression and I believe this is their right to do this...even if I do think it's pointless.  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/05/13 at 8:54 pm

for some it's fun to see the numbers grow, I made my comeback today and noticed I was a few posts away from 444444 so I harmlessly posted just to reach the unique milestone, for me it's simply
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Cheapthrills.jpeg

Check for new replies or respond here...