inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Musicians or Artists you have met or wish to meet?

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/10/13 at 8:43 pm

Who are some musicians/artists you have met in your life? Whether it was a long time ago or recently. Or maybe there are some artists you wish to meet? I had the experience of meeting Hanson in person in October 2008 when they were doing their "The Walk" tour. It was a tour for charity :) I'm not a fan of theirs, but my sister is, and she had won a contest to meet them during a meet and greet and also attend a concert that day. She had the option of bringing along a friend so I gladly went with her :D Met them at the meet and greet which was quite something. Then I attended the concert afterward. No, they didn't sing "Mmm Bop" lol, I know you're all wondering about that. They are grown up now and the music and songs have changed as well. I didn't realize this before, but they have A LOT of fans...too many fans! :o

I will never be a fan but it was nice to have met them in person anyway...

Subject: Re: Musicians or Artists you have met or wish to meet?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/10/13 at 8:45 pm

Collin Raye, twice at meet and greets after his shows. 

I don't know how famous, but there was a local reporter I met for like 3 minutes.  I worked with his wife and he came to pick her up for a lunch date.  The funny thing was, he was so outgoing on tv but completely shy in person.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/13 at 12:58 am

Britney Spears.

So much for my low musical taste. ;D

I can't get 'Toxic' out of my head!  >:(

Written By: Henk on 01/11/13 at 5:08 am

Britney Spears.

So much for my low musical taste. ;D

I can't get 'Toxic' out of my head!  >:(

Is that a "have met" or a "wish to meet"...? ???

Written By: warped on 01/11/13 at 8:09 am

Wish to meet: Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jimmy Page, Tom Petty, Ringo, Ian Anderson, Stevie Nicks, Cindy Lauper, Mick Jagger, Olivia Newton John, Sting, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters, Roger Hodgson, Brian Wilson, any of the "ABBA" girls, Simon and Garfunkel, David Gilmour, Jeff Lynne, Bob Seger, Miles Goodwin, Eric Clapton, Pat Benatar, Jon Anderson, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman.

Wish to meet if they were alive: Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, John Lennon, Terry Kath, Karen Carpenter, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson, Bob McBride.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/13 at 8:56 am

Is that a "have met" or a "wish to meet"...? ???

Wish to meet.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/13 at 11:54 am

I misread this initially... back to the drawing board:

okay which artists have I met?

A few members of the Band from TV
Jonathan Jackson (from GH)  He released an album so it counts
Steve Burton (From GH)  he's in Port Chuck so it counts!  ;D
Wally Kurth (from GH)
Paula Abdul American Idol Paleyfest
Randy Jackson two American Idol Paleyfest
Steven Tyler American Idol Paleyfest

I've met many actors and i'm sure many of them sing but don't know if they've released albums or would truly be considered artists... Its too long a list to spend time on...

I'm not big into musicians so my wish list is quite small

#1 Janet Jackson
#2 T-Boz & Chili (wish I could've met Left Eye before she died  :\'( )
#3 Queen Latifah

thats about it...

Written By: loki 13 on 01/11/13 at 3:48 pm

I have met and spoken to, at length, on more than one occasion:

(ELP)
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake
Carl Palmer

(Pretty Poison, one hit 80's wonder)
Bob Corea.....Went to high school with Bob
Whey Cooler & Jade Sarling.....High school with them too but they were a year ahead of me.

Written By: warped on 01/11/13 at 3:53 pm

I have met and spoken to, at length, on more than one occasion:

(ELP)
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake
Carl Palmer

:o Talk to them after a concert? What was the occasion?

Written By: loki 13 on 01/11/13 at 4:34 pm

:o Talk to them after a concert? What was the occasion?

I knew where they were staying in Philadelphia. One night me and a friend went to their hotel on a whim
just to see and as luck would have it they were exiting a cab to go into the hotel. I was surprised that they
would stand there and talk to us. After about 15 minutes of talking about their career, influences and what
not, other people started to crowd around so they went inside. After the concert the following night we went
back to the hotel and again caught them going inside. This time only Keith and Greg stayed and talked, Carl
seemed a bit uppity. When they toured again the following year this whole scenerio was repeated. What amazed
me was that Keith Emerson remembered us, to this day my wife brags of the hug she received from Keith.

Written By: warped on 01/11/13 at 5:15 pm

I knew were they were staying in Philadelphia. One night me and a friend went to their hotel on a whim
just to see and as luck would have it they were exiting a cab to go into the hotel. I was surprised that they
would stand there and talk to us. After about 15 minutes of talking about their career, influences and what
not, other people started to crowd around so they went inside. After the concert the following night we went
back to the hotel and again caught them going inside. This time only Keith and Greg stayed and talked, Carl
seemed a bit uppity. When they toured again the following year this whole scenerio was repeated. What amazed
me was that Keith Emerson remembered us, to this day my wife brags of the hug she received from Keith.

Wow. what a great story. Something you'll never forget

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/13 at 5:25 pm

I knew were they were staying in Philadelphia. One night me and a friend went to their hotel on a whim

Cool story.

I have a similar story but it isn't mine, but my late brother-in-law's story. He was living in Waste West Haven, Conn and as a teen he had a paper route. He went to one house to collect and the people there invited him and basically let him party with them. Who were those people? None other that the Doors-yup, Jim Morrison,  Ray Manzarek, John Densmore, & Robby Krieger. There were going to be preforming in New Haven so they were staying at that house. Of course they told my BIL not to tell anyone that they were there. But, how cool would THAT have been? To party with the Doors? Unbelievable.

Today would have been my BIL's birthday.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/11/13 at 8:21 pm

Wish to meet.

and she's available.  :D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/11/13 at 11:09 pm

I've met Lights, Ellie Goulding, and some of the Owl City people (not Adam himself though unfortunately). I also met a couple of the guys from Battles.

I'd really like to meet Cheryl Cole and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Written By: nally on 01/11/13 at 11:28 pm

I have never met anyone famous, not even any music performers... but I did see Weird Al in person a couple of times in the late 90's. First time was on February 8, 1997, at a Dr. Demento show at Caltech in Pasadena, CA. He was sitting in the audience, across the aisle from me (although not directly). I didn't notice him until intermission, when lots of people were lined up to meet him (and possibly get an autograph). Second time was when I saw him in concert at the Orange County Fair on July 21, 1999.
Like I said, I didn't meet him either time; it was only a sighting. But it might be cool to meet him someday.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/13 at 5:25 am

Frank Zappa - I was in the lobby of a radio station and he was there for an interview.  He wasn't anything like his persona, that is typical, he was very polite, we talked about dogs...how much he missed his when he was on the road.

Ronnie Spector - When she was touring with Southside Johnny.  He was an arrogant ass, she was very nice.

William Shatner - Arrogant, condescending prick

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/13 at 11:48 am

NOOOooo!!!  :o

:D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 11:51 am

NOOOooo!!!  :o

:D

He might be a prick but I still love the guy! IMO when you're as cool as Shatner being a prick is forgivable.

Written By: ninny on 01/12/13 at 3:02 pm

Wish to meet: Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jimmy Page, Tom Petty, Ringo, Ian Anderson, Stevie Nicks, Cindy Lauper, Mick Jagger, Olivia Newton John, Sting, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters, Roger Hodgson, Brian Wilson, any of the "ABBA" girls, Simon and Garfunkel, David Gilmour, Jeff Lynne, Bob Seger, Miles Goodwin, Eric Clapton, Pat Benatar, Jon Anderson, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman.

Wish to meet if they were alive: Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, John Lennon, Terry Kath, Karen Carpenter, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson, Bob McBride.

Your list sounds like my list with all the members of Led Zeppelin added to the list.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/12/13 at 5:14 pm

Collin Raye, twice at meet and greets after his shows. 

I don't know how famous, but there was a local reporter I met for like 3 minutes.  I worked with his wife and he came to pick her up for a lunch date.  The funny thing was, he was so outgoing on tv but completely shy in person.

I have heard that many famous people are completely different in person.

Written By: warped on 01/12/13 at 7:19 pm

I met Bruce Cockburn in a record store, he wasn't too responsive.  I met the guys from "Platinum Blonde" & "The Spoons" after a concert, briefly

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/13 at 8:49 pm

He might be a prick but I still love the guy! IMO when you're as cool as Shatner being a prick is forgivable.

As I have said before don't judge the character by the actor(and vice versa).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/12/13 at 9:17 pm

The only one that I can remember meeting (my memory is getting worse everyday) is Matthew Nelson (You may remember him from the 80s hair metal band - Nelson (with his twin brother Gunther) (or you may remember him as the son of Ricky Nelson (grandson of Ozzie and Harriet) (Sister of Tracey Nelson.)  He was very nice, he came out to talk to fans who gathered near the tour busses.  He signed autographs and was just talking to people.  I kinda hung back for awhile, some girl next to me pulled his long hair and he thought it was me, and glared at me.  I told him it wasn't me, and he apologized, saying that he's had people try to cut off pieces of his hair.  Crazy, huh?

Oh I also met (twice) Jon Brennan (not a huge star) but he was a country singer who was on a season of one of MTV's first reality shows (Real World... San Francisco or one of them.) 

Also met a minor local star named B.E. Taylor numerous times.  I used to run a fan site for him.  Would follow him around on tour (and take pictures and post on the website.)  He got to where he recognized me and called me by name.  I hadn't seen him in ten years and he's forgotten me now.  I went to see him at one of his concerts a couple years ago.  He was still friendly, but did not recognize me.  :\'(

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/13/13 at 10:40 am

Many years ago, following a concert at Carnegie hall, my oldest daughter and I met Pete Segar.

Some years later, in Boston the family met U. Utah Phillips.  Oldest asked him if the "U" stood for "Union"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/13 at 11:42 am

Frank Zappa - I was in the lobby of a radio station and he was there for an interview.  He wasn't anything like his persona, that is typical, he was very polite, we talked about dogs...how much he missed his when he was on the road.

Ronnie Spector - When she was touring with Southside Johnny.  He was an arrogant ass, she was very nice.

I met William Shatner, too. Even though I was only about 7 or 8 at the time and wasn't impressed either.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/13 at 4:17 am

Many years ago, following a concert at Carnegie hall, my oldest daughter and I met Pete Segar.

Some years later, in Boston the family met U. Utah Phillips.  Oldest asked him if the "U" stood for "Union"

Pete Seeger tried to pick up a friend of mine.  We were in high school, he was as old as our fathers, I lost a lot of respect for the man then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/13 at 11:00 am

I met Pete a few times. There is a pic of him in my yearbook since he came to my high school. I also have a pic of him & my step-father together.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 01/14/13 at 12:23 pm

I have met Shannon Hoon, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), various members of Reverend Horton Heat, Dale Earnhardt Sr, King Kong Bundy (Chris Pallies), Johnny Gill, Rip Torn. All I can think of right now, anyway.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/13 at 4:38 pm

My sister was in radio for years and years, she met a lot of rock n rollers.  The biggest was attending a dinner with George Harrison and sitting across the table from him.  My heart still flutters.

Written By: nally on 01/14/13 at 4:49 pm

My sister was in radio for years and years, she met a lot of rock n rollers.  The biggest was attending a dinner with George Harrison and sitting across the table from him.  My heart still flutters.

My mom worked in radio for a number of years before I was born. She got to meet artists like Michelle Phillips (who is now the only surviving member of the Mamas & Papas) and Perry Como.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/13 at 4:58 pm

I am developing a friendship with Melanie's sister. Haven't met Melanie but I'm not too sure if I want to from what I hear as to how she treats her sister.

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/14/13 at 5:02 pm

I am developing a friendship with Melanie's sister. Haven't met Melanie but I'm not too sure if I want to from what I hear as to how she treats her sister.

Cat

Melanie...as in "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you've got a brand new key"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/13 at 6:02 pm

Melanie...as in "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you've got a brand new key"?

Yup-as in "Brand New Key" & "Lay Down Candles In The Rain."

The funny thing is, I have known her for a few years now and I didn't know that she was Melanie's sister until about a month ago or so.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/22/13 at 4:27 pm

Duran Duran.  John Taylor.  I almost went to his book signing last October but I decided last minute not to go because of the onset of Hurricane Sandy.  :( It's a shame too because I really wanted to read In The Pleasure Groove: Life, Death, and Duran Duran.  :(

Written By: nally on 03/14/13 at 5:58 pm

Duran Duran.  John Taylor.  I almost went to his book signing last October but I decided last minute not to go because of the onset of Hurricane Sandy.  :( It's a shame too because I really wanted to read In The Pleasure Groove: Life, Death, and Duran Duran.  :(

Ah, too bad. :-\\ Hopefully you'll get to do it some other time.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/14/13 at 7:22 pm

Ah, too bad. :-\\ Hopefully you'll get to do it some other time.

I sure hope so.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 03/14/13 at 9:53 pm

I was gonna go and meet Dan Hill (he was doing a book signing at a local Chapters book store), but I had to work that day and I couldn't get the day off.  I was gonna get him to sign my Love in the Shadows 45 record instead of his autobiography book.

Artists I would like to meet:
← Tulisa
↓ Mia Martina

Why?  Because I am a man and they are hot!! lol

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/15/13 at 12:52 am

Tears For Fears is another band that I would like to meet one of these days.  :) I've always wondered how they are in person.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/13 at 2:31 am

I just met moby  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/15/13 at 6:07 am

I was gonna go and meet Dan Hill (he was doing a book signing at a local Chapters book store), but I had to work that day and I couldn't get the day off.  I was gonna get him to sign my Love in the Shadows 45 record instead of his autobiography book.

Artists I would like to meet:
← Tulisa
↓ Mia Martina

Why?  Because I am a man and they are hot!! lol

I remember Dan Hill, he did that song "Maybe When We Touch".

Written By: warped on 03/15/13 at 6:16 am

I remember Dan Hill, he did that song "Maybe When We Touch".

Sometimes.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:16 pm

Have met: still none.

Wish to meet: Weird Al, Sara Barelleis, either of the surviving Beatles. I might think of more.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/28/17 at 7:20 pm

Have met: None yet

Want to meet: Sergio Galli, Platinum Blonde, Tears For Fears, John Taylor, Duran Duran, The Spoons, Werid Al, New Kids On The Block.  LOL! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/17 at 7:29 pm

Met: Bob Marley, Micky Dolenz, Katrina Leskanich, and I will post more when I remember them.

Paul McCartney passed by my on a pavement but could not get to speak to him, and Frank Sinatra passed me, but he's was surrounded by his heavies, but I could see him well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 6:02 pm

Met: Bob Marley, Micky Dolenz, Katrina Leskanich, and I will post more when I remember them.

Paul McCartney passed by my on a pavement but could not get to speak to him, and Frank Sinatra passed me, but he's was surrounded by his heavies, but I could see him well.
... add Lang Lang and Cliff Richard to my list of briefly meeting.

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/03/17 at 2:51 pm

Have met: Andy Taylor from Duran Duran who is married to my ex boss' daughter. A very nice person indeed. Also Ray Davies stood next to me at the bar at a local event.

Would love to meet: Tomas Ledin, Agnetha, Lionel Richie, Gordon Lightfoot, Jorgen Ingestrom (Tomas' keyboard player).

Written By: nally on 05/03/17 at 10:42 pm

Have met: Andy Taylor from Duran Duran who is married to my ex boss' daughter. A very nice person indeed.

That is awesome!! Oh, the connections you'll find.

Also Ray Davies stood next to me at the bar at a local event.

Also cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/17 at 10:48 pm

... add Lang Lang and Cliff Richard to my list of briefly meeting.
I once had the harmonica player Larry Adler in the queue in front of me in a bank, but I did not confront or disturb him.

Written By: aja675 on 05/08/17 at 2:41 am

I went to school with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Padilla

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/08/17 at 11:27 am

I can also honestly say that I have sung with Andy Taylor. I met him at a party my ex boss gave and during it he took up his guitar and started a singalong.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/17 at 10:13 pm

Add Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), my meeting with him was in similar circumstances as Bob Marley.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 8:17 pm

More memories has just come to me. I saw The Stranglers setting up to shot a pop promo for one of their song back in the early 1980s.

If I was in the right place at the right time, I would have seen another pop promo shot, this time it would have been Yes.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/19/17 at 8:13 pm

I'm going to add Gordon Deppe and Sandy Horne, The Spoons, to that list too. 

Check for new replies or respond here...