inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I don't really know where to put this so I have put it here...

Written By: Bobby on 01/31/13 at 9:48 pm

I thought I'd let you folks know that I have left Facebook. A bit difficult to say why but amongst the reasons was I didn't like how much time I spent on there (reminded me of my old Inthe00s days, lol) and it really hasn't felt right for a long time so looked for a change in direction, a way back here.

Today, I started off removing acquaintances from my friends list. I got more drastic as I removed over 50 people. It didn't feel enough for me so I decided it was time to leave it behind. My main reason for going on Facebook in the first place was for my long-distance friends so I messaged most of the people I knew I couldn't get hold of with my e-mail and phone number and permanently deleted my Facebook account.

Inthe00s was my first forum I got involved with 10 years ago and it was the best at that time. I have met some weird and wonderful people here. I still think Inthe00s is great now because it takes you away from it all. It was that experience I was missing on Facebook. Facebook reminds you of it all...

Anyhow, that's my story. :)

Rob

Subject: Re: I don't really know where to put this so I have put it here...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/13 at 10:16 pm

I've had a lot of trouble with Facebook too. 

Life is hard and grueling and I don't get a lot of good news or goodies.  Whereas my friends on Facebook are up there showing off pics of their Hawaiian vacations, their new SUVs, their pedigreed Pomeranians, and their stacks of gold bullion bars they get as bonuses from the Beautiful People Association.  What am I gonna post, my new boots from the Goodwill shop?  I need a new filling, but I can't afford it?  Git outta here!

My FB account is on hold and I've spent the past three months eeny-meeny-mining whether I should open it back up again!
;D

Written By: Bobby on 01/31/13 at 10:45 pm

I've had a lot of trouble with Facebook too. 

Life is hard and grueling and I don't get a lot of good news or goodies.  Whereas my friends on Facebook are up there showing off pics of their Hawaiian vacations, their new SUVs, their pedigreed Pomeranians, and their stacks of gold bullion bars they get as bonuses from the Beautiful People Association.  What am I gonna post, my new boots from the Goodwill shop?  I need a new filling, but I can't afford it?  Git outta here!

My FB account is on hold and I've spent the past three months eeny-meeny-mining whether I should open it back up again!
;D

I've never thought of it that way, Maxwell Smart. I suppose Facebook does come across as a 'show and tell' exercise and a 'I can trump you with this...' situation. I guess that's the idea of it really.

I don't have a problem with Facebook per se. I can't have because I spent some time on there but sometimes things have a habit of losing their purpose and I think that was it for me really. I got into contact with old school friends (my first main aim of Facebook), saw their lives, and was ready to move on.

I think the severity of it was the start of me using a smart phone and being able to Facebook from anywhere. I thought it was cool at first but then looking at Facebook on the move became a habit and, in some ways, a near obsession. Basically, it wasn't fun anymore and I realised it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/13 at 1:06 am

Well I'm gonna miss reading your updates!

Written By: gibbo on 02/01/13 at 5:05 am

I am not ( and never intend to be) on FB. It consumes my children's time and I see countless adults spending copious amounts of time.

Look.... it's not wrong (in itself) ... however, it's like everything else.... you have to do it in moderation!  When it becomes a chore or an obligation (just like having to answer a cell phone immediately) ... then, dial it right back.

I applaud Bobby for his action. It's progress when you realise that things are getting out of hand.... and you actually take action.

It's great to spend some time here, some time on FB, some time with real friends/family, some time reading etc etc.  Don't put your eggs all in one basket!  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 7:10 am

good to see you here Bobby, missed you a lot.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/13 at 8:05 am

I thought I'd let you folks know that I have left Facebook. A bit difficult to say why but amongst the reasons was I didn't like how much time I spent on there (reminded me of my old Inthe00s days, lol) and it really hasn't felt right for a long time so looked for a change in direction, a way back here.

Today, I started off removing acquaintances from my friends list. I got more drastic as I removed over 50 people. It didn't feel enough for me so I decided it was time to leave it behind. My main reason for going on Facebook in the first place was for my long-distance friends so I messaged most of the people I knew I couldn't get hold of with my e-mail and phone number and permanently deleted my Facebook account.

Inthe00s was my first forum I got involved with 10 years ago and it was the best at that time. I have met some weird and wonderful people here. I still think Inthe00s is great now because it takes you away from it all. It was that experience I was missing on Facebook. Facebook reminds you of it all...

Rob

Welcome back, My Friend. I have missed you.

As for Facebook, I'm sure everyone around here knows how I feel about it. There are people (and you know who you are) who have tried to get me to join. Ain't gonna happen.

But, I am glad you are back here where you belong.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 8:55 am

Well I'm gonna miss reading your updates!

I'm sorry snoz. :(

I enjoyed writing my updates but I noticed I was checking too regularly to see how they were getting on. I was even doing it at work and it affected my performance so I knew it was time to knock it on the head. Now it's out of sight, out of mind.

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 9:06 am

I am not ( and never intend to be) on FB. It consumes my children's time and I see countless adults spending copious amounts of time.

Look.... it's not wrong (in itself) ... however, it's like everything else.... you have to do it in moderation!  When it becomes a chore or an obligation (just like having to answer a cell phone immediately) ... then, dial it right back.

I applaud Bobby for his action. It's progress when you realise that things are getting out of hand.... and you actually take action.

It's great to spend some time here, some time on FB, some time with real friends/family, some time reading etc etc.  Don't put your eggs all in one basket!  :)

I feel exactly the same. Facebook is great for social communication. This isn't a Facebook bashing thread and I can't knock it as a tool but it's like how we deal with everything. If I find something interferes with my life to the extent Facebook did then it becomes a negative and had to make the call. It took me a long time to realise this because it was fine before I got my smart phone but then ease of access got the better of me. :)

Back in the day, if I wanted to go on Inthe00s, I had to physically get to a computer. To go to Facebook one touch on my phone and I was there...

Ideally, everything in moderation.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 9:19 am

good to see you here Bobby, missed you a lot.  :)

Missed you too, mate. I didn't have the capability of coming to both Inthe00s and Facebook at the same time. I hope you are keeping well. :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 9:25 am

Welcome back, My Friend. I have missed you.

As for Facebook, I'm sure everyone around here knows how I feel about it. There are people (and you know who you are) who have tried to get me to join. Ain't gonna happen.

But, I am glad you are back here where you belong.

I have missed you too, Cat.

*HUG*

You have made a personal choice not to join Facebook like I made a personal choice to leave it. Life is all about choices and as long as we like them or learn to live with them, so be it. :)

It's funny you should mention 'where you belong' because I have really been looking forward to coming back here. This place holds lots of memories. :)

Written By: nally on 02/01/13 at 11:15 am

Great to see you on here again, Rob. :)

I for one am glad to be on FB because it gives me a chance to stay in close contact with people I currently know, as well as those who I haven't seen in ages (including friends I knew in school and elsewhere). My mom had joined in late 2008 or so to reconnect with high school classmates and help plan their next class reunion, and then invited me to join (which I finally did in June 2009...although part of me wishes I had joined sooner, but I had no desire to until then).

However, I respect the wishes of anyone who does not wish to join (including a few of my close friends).

Life is all about choices and as long as we like them or learn to live with them, so be it. :)

Right on.

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 11:54 am

Great to see you on here again, Rob. :)

I for one am glad to be on FB because it gives me a chance to stay in close contact with people I currently know, as well as those who I haven't seen in ages (including friends I knew in school and elsewhere). My mom had joined in late 2008 or so to reconnect with high school classmates and help plan their next class reunion, and then invited me to join (which I finally did in June 2009...although part of me wishes I had joined sooner, but I had no desire to until then).

However, I respect the wishes of anyone who does not wish to join (including a few of my close friends).
Right on.

That is likely because you are responsible with Facebook, Jeff, and all the power to you for that.  :)

Some people are addicted to smoking, some people are addicted to booze...Me I'm addicted to social networks and food.  ;D

Written By: warped on 02/01/13 at 12:08 pm

I was on facebook for awhile, then I cancelled my account, then I came back mostly to connect with relatives all over the world. I don't think I have signed in more than once a week.

I've never thought of it that way, Maxwell Smart. I suppose Facebook does come across as a 'show and tell' exercise and a 'I can trump you with this...' situation.

That part of facebook I don't like, and I tend to just block/stop receiving news from people like that.

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 5:28 pm

I was on facebook for awhile, then I cancelled my account, then I came back mostly to connect with relatives all over the world. I don't think I have signed in more than once a week.

Again, like Jeff, you are showing a sensible approach to social networking. Facebook is a great tool for communicating with people, it's not so great if it takes over your life. :)

That part of facebook I don't like, and I tend to just block/stop receiving news from people like that.

I don't really know how I feel about that because Facebook is about communicating your life. I do understand what Maxwell Smart said, it's great for the people with more money than sense who are constantly on the go 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is expected that a lot of us either fall in between or simply lead a constant, content pedestrian life. A huge amount of updates I have seen on Facebook are comments about what the user is watching on the TV. Nothing wrong with it either, freedom of speech and expression. :)

What I did find weird though was I went to a party some time back. It wasn't particularly bad but not exactly awe-inspiring either. Anyhow, someone got a camera out and everybody shot into action with various poses like those cards from Alice in Wonderland. The camera flashed and everybody went about their business as before. I saw photographs of these contrived poses on Facebook and I immediately thought; "That's not how I remember this party!" 

Humans are funny, 'aint they?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/13 at 10:53 pm

I stink of heartbreak and failure.  It doesn't work on Facebook, a Wonder Bread institution whose logo should be Tony Robbins' toothy grin!
::)

Written By: Bobby on 02/01/13 at 11:07 pm

I stink of heartbreak and failure.  It doesn't work on Facebook, a Wonder Bread institution whose logo should be Tony Robbins' toothy grin!
::)

I don't really know anything about Tony Robbins, Maxwell Smart.

You may be surprised that people often say things on Facebook like; "I am so bored it's unreal","I feel like s**t" or "I hate my life".

One thing that always puzzled me when people make statements like that is what do they think they are going to achieve or expect from people when they say those kind of things? Sympathy? That only lasts until the update is forgotten in a pile of other "I feel like s**t" updates.

Life and Facebook is what you make it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/13 at 6:59 am

I don't really know anything about Tony Robbins, Maxwell Smart.

You may be surprised that people often say things on Facebook like; "I am so bored it's unreal","I feel like s**t" or "I hate my life".

One thing that always puzzled me when people make statements like that is what do they think they are going to achieve or expect from people when they say those kind of things? Sympathy? That only lasts until the update is forgotten in a pile of other "I feel like s**t" updates.

Life and Facebook is what you make it.

Very true. There have been many points in my life where I said, "This really sucks! It is time for a change." I would try to change things-I'm talking MAJOR changes, jobs, where I lived, etc. When I first moved to Vermont, people asked me if I had a job there-No. They asked if I knew people there-No. They then asked me why I was moving there. I gave them a very strange answer-because I WANT to!  :o :o :o  It is not easy to make changes in your life but it can be done. Sometimes you can only make small changes-like trying to break a bad habit or get more exercises. But changes can be made. That is where a lot of people get stuck. They don't realize that they CAN make changes to their lives. But, it can be scary and not easy and people don't want to be bothered. It is much easier to b!tch about their lives than to try to make it better.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/02/13 at 7:36 am

Very true. There have been many points in my life where I said, "This really sucks! It is time for a change." I would try to change things-I'm talking MAJOR changes, jobs, where I lived, etc. When I first moved to Vermont, people asked me if I had a job there-No. They asked if I knew people there-No. They then asked me why I was moving there. I gave them a very strange answer-because I WANT to!  :o :o :o  It is not easy to make changes in your life but it can be done. Sometimes you can only make small changes-like trying to break a bad habit or get more exercises. But changes can be made. That is where a lot of people get stuck. They don't realize that they CAN make changes to their lives. But, it can be scary and not easy and people don't want to be bothered. It is much easier to b!tch about their lives than to try to make it better.

There you go. You ventured into the unknown not knowing what was going to happen but the location doesn't determine how our lives are going to be or how happy we will be. What determines how our lives are going to be are the positive decisions we make and the people we meet. Sometimes a fresh move can actually kick-start something we didn't possibly think could happen in our hometown/city. :)

Moving to a place because you want to, in my mind, is as good a reason as any to move to it.

We are all in the same boat. We all have our Achilles heels, demons, illnesses and vices to try to deal with and conquer (if we wish to, there's another subject in itself...). There is no better way than to try and make things work.

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/13 at 9:56 am

To the casual observer it would seem you have merely substituted your previous Facebook addiction with a renewed 00ze addiction  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/13 at 12:40 pm

To the casual observer it would seem you have merely substituted your previous Facebook addiction with a renewed 00ze addiction  :D

SHHHHHH. Don't discourage him.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/02/13 at 4:46 pm

Probably snoz, lol. I can only handle one addiction at a time...  ;) ;D

This is a bit different. Inthe00s moves at a more relaxed pace than Facebook so I can come on anytime and catch up quite easily with what's going on. Also, Inthe00s is a bit of a sod to use on the mobile phone so I don't feel the need to keep logging in every quarter of an hour, lol.

Even though I do remember with fondness the old days of Inthe00s, I've also returned looking forward (believe me, if you think I am addicted now I was in serious need of rehab back then  ;D).

Every time and place has to change, reunite with old friends here and welcome new ones.  8)

SHHHHHH. Don't discourage him.  ;)

Haha. You do make me laugh, Cat.  ;D

Now that I have got rid of Facebook, I will definitely be here more often. Apparently men are rubbish at multi-tasking and there was no way I could juggle two social networks at the same time, lol.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/13 at 8:13 pm

Now that I have got rid of Facebook, I will definitely be here more often. Apparently men are rubbish at multi-tasking and there was no way I could juggle two social networks at the same time, lol.

It's definitely great to see you again Bob.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/13 at 2:26 am

I've never thought of it that way, Maxwell Smart. I suppose Facebook does come across as a 'show and tell' exercise and a 'I can trump you with this...' situation. I guess that's the idea of it really.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/473/388/737.jpg

And how much of that, do you suppose, is actually true?

(Pick your profession, it's in there.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/13 at 7:28 am

With me, the bottom pic is true. That is why when I tell people that I am originally from New Yowk, I am originally from UPSTATE New Yowk-not to be confused with the city. (And yes, I STILL have my New Yowk accent.)  Those of you who have heard me talk, will contest to that.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/03/13 at 6:40 pm

We all have a certain expectation in our minds when someone says something to us and that expectation is limited to our knowledge of something. Admittedly, when I think of New York my knowledge and understanding are limited to places like Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. I can only think of New York in a broader spectrum when my knowledge of it increases and that is merely just stating the obvious.

In life, perception not reality seems to be everything and that automatically includes Facebook because, while we are on there, we are advertising our lives. There aren't many of us who want to show up on Facebook and really want to type in as an update; "Sorry, I'm a boring tool that has absolutely nothing to say now and will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future". Even if that is the case for many, nobody wants to admit it and understandably so.

Interesting you mention this, Foo Bar, because I work in a fairly standard job. There aren't any surprises, I know what I am doing every day, nothing changes and by most people's standards it is boring. It doesn't worry me because it's a reasonably paid job, relatively secure as these things go (I've been there over ten years now) and I see what benefit my role is to Royal Mail. However, some people say to me in my line of work; "I don't call myself a data entry keyer... (which is our job description) ...I place myself in the category of logistics."

Technically, these people aren't telling any lies though it is quite interesting how social attitudes seem to be negative or indifferent towards static specified roles than to ambiguous non-specified roles. Possibly because it's easy to label or pigeon-hole someone in a static specified role?

Right now, as long as my job pays for what I want out of life and my driving lessons, I couldn't give two shakes of a monkey's whatever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/13 at 1:18 am

As long as it's adolescent and cute when you say "my life sucks, I wish I was dead" on Facebook.

Written By: Bobby on 02/04/13 at 4:53 pm

As long as it's adolescent and cute when you say "my life sucks, I wish I was dead" on Facebook.

That is the worst of every world, Mr.Smart.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/05/13 at 4:55 pm

Rob
weird and wonderful  ;D  you got that right

Written By: Bobby on 02/05/13 at 5:04 pm

weird and wonderful  ;D  you got that right

There have been quite a few memorable people, lol. Robocop and AndrewTalkingWalnut are a couple of classics.

Check for new replies or respond here...