inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TIL (Today I Learned)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/08/13 at 2:44 pm

I know I'm ripping off this concept from Reddit, but basically you post an interesting fact that you just found out.

For example:

TIL that Canada has its own Walk Of Fame in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%27s_Walk_of_Fame

Subject: Re: TIL (Today I Learned)

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/13 at 3:11 pm

TIL. That sourdough is made with this stuff called starter and apparently people cultivate it for years! On Top Chef they used 30 yr old starter to make bread (and mentioned some people had 100yr old starter)

That concept creeps me out and I'm rely glad I detest sourdough bread  8-P

Written By: Bobby on 02/08/13 at 4:49 pm

TIL a bit of the Polish language from a couple of my female Polish friends.

*sadly I haven't got a Polish keyboard but will write it as spelt*

Czesc! - Hi!

Tak - Yes
Nie - No

Jak sie pan ma? - How are you?
Dobrze dziekuje - I'm fine, thank you

And also the phrase; "Lubie kielbasa' which means 'I like sausage'.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/13 at 3:29 pm

TIL that the song Antisocial by Anthrax was actually a cover which was originally done in 1980 by a French hard rock band called Trust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfD8Dnh2xho

Written By: snozberries on 02/09/13 at 7:29 pm

TIL that Steven Spielberg directed the first Columbo!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/13 at 7:42 pm

from shoveling 21" of snow on the driveway that I really need to go to the gym more often!
::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/13 at 7:47 pm

from shoveling 21" of snow on the driveway that I really need to go to the gym more often!

Yeah but look on the bright side: You'll probably get a really good night's sleep after that.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/09/13 at 9:33 pm

The German song in the movie Battle Of The Bulge.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/13 at 7:13 am

and you'll get lots of excersize.

Written By: whistledog on 02/10/13 at 8:53 pm

and you'll get lots of excersize.

TIL that Howard needs to use spellcheck :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/13 at 1:54 am

What happens to you the butter burns?

Written By: Howard on 02/11/13 at 7:09 am

TIL that Howard needs to use spellcheck :D

:P ::)

Written By: meesa on 02/12/13 at 11:37 am

TIL I learned how to use a taser. Scared the crap out of me!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/13 at 4:36 pm

O0

Written By: Howard on 02/12/13 at 7:58 pm

Who'd you use it on?  ;D

Written By: warped on 02/12/13 at 8:05 pm

TIL that Seth McFarlane sings.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/13 at 10:40 pm

TIL educating the young folks is an important thing.  Obama said so.
8)

Written By: meesa on 02/13/13 at 12:25 pm

Who'd you use it on?  ;D

No one, just a demo. But the sound of it scared me it was very loud. I know, derp moment for me; it's not like when you push the trigger it is supposed to play 'lean on me' or something..  ;D

Written By: Tam on 02/13/13 at 12:45 pm

It was actually last night... but I learned that Mahatma Gandhi was not related to any of the Gandhi's that followed him as leaders in India.

I always thought that Indria Gandhi was his daughter - this is not the case.

hmmm.....

Written By: Howard on 02/13/13 at 1:27 pm

how to scan a photo by using the printer.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/07/13 at 8:48 pm

Yesterday and today I learned a few things about bonobos, along with Chimps, another cousin to us.  Not even the spell check recognizes them, but they are fascinating, most unlike chimps,who are down right brutal and nasty critters.  Google them

Written By: Tam on 08/29/13 at 9:37 pm

TIL that with a purchase, PetCo is giving away free Yoda ears for your canine or feline! :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/13 at 1:44 pm

Today I learned that the movie Passenger 57 wasn't as exciting as I remembered it to be, but was still good though

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/13 at 2:13 pm

It was actually last night... but I learned that Mahatma Gandhi was not related to any of the Gandhi's that followed him as leaders in India.

I always thought that Indria Gandhi was his daughter - this is not the case.

hmmm.....
I was the same as you a few years ago after seeing Richard Attenborough's "Gandhi", that same question was raised and a trip to the library for research was done.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/04/13 at 2:00 pm

TIL that I've been wearing bifocals for the past 2 years and haven't really needed to (like I've tried to tell the damn eye doctor the past 2 years >:(). Fortunately, the doctor I saw today wrote my new Rx WITHOUT the bifocal part so I won't have to get them in my next glasses  8)

Written By: Howard on 09/04/13 at 7:49 pm

to not blow my top at customers, I got to remember "it's only a job".

Written By: snozberries on 09/05/13 at 6:16 am

to not blow my top at customers, I got to remember "it's only a job".

I'm probably gonna regret asking this but what happened?did you actually yell at a customer and then learned the hard way it was a bad thing to do or did you remember all the adv....

Never mind I think I know the answer  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/05/13 at 7:08 am

I'm probably gonna regret asking this but what happened?did you actually yell at a customer and then learned the hard way it was a bad thing to do or did you remember all the adv....

Never mind I think I know the answer  :-\\

Ok here it goes. some of the wagons over there are old and rusty, they get stuck or are broken so customers will attempt to assume that the wagons are working so they'll keep pushing it and pushing it while I tell them that "Excuse me, It's broken OR It's not working" then they give me a dirty or dumbfounded look like I'm a culprit & like I'm supposed to fix them. Hey, It's not working there are other carts that are in the bunch that are working, I'm only a worker not the mechanic.

Written By: warped on 09/05/13 at 7:20 am

Ok here it goes. some of the wagons over there are old and rusty, they get stuck or are broken so customers will attempt to assume that the wagons are working so they'll keep pushing it and pushing it while I tell them that "Excuse me, It's broken OR It's not working" then they give me a dirty or dumbfounded look like I'm a culprit & like I'm supposed to fix them. Hey, It's not working there are other carts that are in the bunch that are working, I'm only a worker not the mechanic.

From the point of view of the customer: If those wagons aren't working..then...why are they there?  ???  How in the world is the customer supposed to know those carts aren't working when they are right there..in front of the store...for them to use?  They should be removed and taken away.

It's like if you went to McDonalds and wanted a drink so you spend 30 seconds to a minute trying to get coca-cola at the fountain..you keep trying and nothing comes out..you keep trying...then a McDoanlds employee casually walks by and says "it's broken or not working". You would look at them (maybe with a dirty look) and think "Then why isn't there an out of order sign!!"

If those carts aren't working and they are still there, chances are hundreds of other customers will try the same thing that person did, and get frustrated.

And no, I am not blaming you that those carts were there, and of course it's not your job to fix them..but where does your Pathmark put broken carts?  Or do they have a plan for such things?

Written By: snozberries on 09/05/13 at 12:25 pm

From the point of view of the customer: If those wagons aren't working..then...why are they there?  ???  How in the world is the customer supposed to know those carts aren't working when they are right there..in front of the store...for them to use?  They should be removed and taken away.

If those carts aren't working and they are still there, chances are hundreds of other customers will try the same thing that person did, and get frustrated.

And no, I am not blaming you that those carts were there, and of course it's not your job to fix them..but where does your Pathmark put broken carts?  Or do they have a plan for such things?

The broken carts should be kept at the back of (ie behind) the store.

TIL not to ask questions I don't actually want to know the answer too.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/05/13 at 1:53 pm

TIL not to ask wets rooms I don't actually want to know the answer too.

Wet rooms? ;D

TIL Q needs to proofread before she posts. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 09/05/13 at 6:35 pm

Wet rooms? ;D

TIL Q needs to proofread before she posts. ;)

I learned that a long time ago but I never applied the lesson  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/05/13 at 8:04 pm

I do take them away in the back area where a bunch of the carts that need to be repaired. And I don't know why they're there. ???

And we wonder why a lot of them are broken! ::)

In the back with all the other ones that need repairing.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/13 at 2:50 pm

I think I learned something today, this morning I head to the Laundromat where I needed to dry my clothes cause right now we have no hot water or gas, we're waiting for ConEd to fix some pipes inside our home. Anyway I head to the dryer and the machine said 25 cents for 6 minutes so I'm thinking "cool, 6 minutes to dry clothes,Wow"! So I deposit the quarter and 6 minutes later I thought it was dry but it was still wet so I deposit another quarter in and another 6 minutes later this time it was half wet and half dry so after that I said "Ah, forget it, I'll go home and fold the clothes", It's dry enough. Next time if a situation arises again, I will have to bring at least 10 quarters (for at least an hour) with me when heading to the laundromat, Silly me, I should've known.Thing is, I've never used a laundromat dryer before, so now I know.

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/13 at 6:26 pm

I think I learned something today, this morning I head to the Laundromat where I needed to dry my clothes cause right now we have no hot water or gas, we're waiting for ConEd to fix some pipes inside our home. Anyway I head to the dryer and the machine said 25 cents for 6 minutes so I'm thinking "cool, 6 minutes to dry clothes,Wow"! So I deposit the quarter and 6 minutes later I thought it was dry but it was still wet so I deposit another quarter in and another 6 minutes later this time it was half wet and half dry so after that I said "Ah, forget it, I'll go home and fold the clothes", It's dry enough. Next time if a situation arises again, I will have to bring at least 10 quarters (for at least an hour) with me when heading to the laundromat, Silly me, I should've known.Thing is, I've never used a laundromat dryer before, so now I know.

What kind of Laundromat do you go to where you can only dry clothes for 6 minutes at a time?

TIL that there are some weird Laundromats out there ?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/12/13 at 7:10 pm

Um, you might want to lay them out or hang them up before you fold them.  If they are still wet and you fold them, they will mildew. 

Written By: snozberries on 09/13/13 at 11:18 am

did you change the settings on the dryer? I usually set the dry at high and can get the clothes dry in 30 to 40 minutes

Written By: Howard on 09/13/13 at 3:49 pm

What kind of Laundromat do you go to where you can only dry clothes for 6 minutes at a time?

TIL that there are some weird Laundromats out there ?

I should've taken at least 10 quarters with me. If I wanted to dry clothes if the situation arises the next time, always bring enough for at least one hour.(the most)

Written By: Howard on 09/13/13 at 3:50 pm

did you change the settings on the dryer? I usually set the dry at high and can get the clothes dry in 30 to 40 minutes

I set the dryer on High but the fabric softener didn't work.

Written By: snozberries on 09/13/13 at 6:11 pm

I should've taken at least 10 quarters with me. If I wanted to dry clothes if the situation arises the next time, always bring enough for at least one hour.(the most)

5 or 6 quarters should do it Howard. An hour is too long.

Written By: snozberries on 09/13/13 at 6:12 pm

I set the dryer on High but the fabric softener didn't work.

The dryer sheets won't make a difference if your clothes aren't completely dry.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/13 at 3:37 pm

5 or 6 quarters should do it Howard. An hour is too long.

I don't know if 6 quarters will do, I like to put the dryer on one hour just to be on the safe side.

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/13 at 4:51 pm

I don't know if 6 quarters will do, I like to put the dryer on one hour just to be on the safe side.

An hour is too long. You could burn your clothes. Put it on for 30-40 minutes. If your clothes aren't dry by then then you can put more money in if you need to.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/16/13 at 5:13 pm

This weekend and today I learned...

You don't always get what you want but you get what you need!

I say F that!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...