inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who does your taxes?

Written By: warped on 04/04/13 at 10:39 am

Who does/files your yearly taxes? Basically, who does your tax return?

I'm talking about your personal/individual taxes, not business taxes (if you own a small business or something).

Deadline (if you owe) In Canada is April 30th, I think it's April 15th for America.  Do you hate tax time? Do you usually get money back?

Subject: Re: Who does your taxes?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/13 at 11:16 am

I didn't check the box because it is (as I usually call them) our friends/financial advisors. They own the business (and yes, we do pay them to do it) but they are also very dear friends, too. (As I have said many times already-they are the ones who bought me those beautiful flowers for my birthday and they are the ones who throw the New Years Eve party every year.)

We usually get something back but I don't know if we will this year.  :-\\

And yes, I do hate tax time because one of my sisters work for H&R Block and ALL we hear about is, "I can't do this-or that because it is TAX SEASON!!!!"  ::)  (Our friends are pretty much the same way but they are not as harsh about it as my sister is).

Cat 

Written By: warped on 04/04/13 at 1:04 pm

I've done my own taxes (and my wife's...used to do my mom's as well) since the late 80s. One of my friends became a CPA and he taught me, about 25 years ago. 

Written By: Howard on 04/04/13 at 1:42 pm

My Father does my taxes and sometimes I get some money back.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/04/13 at 5:08 pm

I do them myself.  I use Taxact and it is very simple.  I don't itemize so it usually takes about 15 minutes all told.

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/13 at 6:53 pm

I always wait until the last minute to do my taxes cause I always have to pay.  I take 'em to H&R Block and pay whatever they charge cause I hate math and avoid anything to do with it at all costs lol

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/13 at 1:21 am

I use H&R Block.

The first time I set down and did my taxes I got so frustrated because I decided the damn thing was written to purposely confuse me. Lol.

That night I went to H&R block and felt so much pressure relief I decided to never do them myself again.

There were a couple years where I used an accounting firm all the cops go to. It was a bit more expensive but I got a larger return. I stopped using them when they claimed I hadn't paid $100 I owed. I decided not to use a firm that couldn't track it's own accounting.

Went back to H&R B it's been stress free ever since.

Written By: ninny on 04/05/13 at 8:59 am

I've done them myself, also had H&R Block and Turbotax do them.

Written By: karen on 04/05/13 at 12:08 pm

In the UK you usually don't have to do a tax return unless you have another source of income besides your job.  So we had to do tax returns when we had another house that we rented out.  we did them ourselves because it was fairly straightforward.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/05/13 at 10:00 pm

Other:  My accountant and I joke every year about both of us wanting to see (US) tax reform that would simplify the tax code to the extent that it would put him out of business / enable him to retire without abandoning his clients. 

We joke because we know it'll never happen as long as Intuit, the people who write TurboTax, have lobbyists, and are buying influence with Eric Cantor (R), Zoe Lofgren (D), and Grover Norquist (DERP), and they're lobbying to make damn sure you need either $100/year in software or $more/year for an accountant, or both, in order to file anything more complicated than a 1040-EZ.

Check for new replies or respond here...