inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is anyone else "done" with Facebook?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/30/13 at 6:47 pm

I m:

Sick of reading stuff from family members and friends that makes me want to disavow knowing these people.
Sick of the "me too" posts
Click "share" or this dog gets it
Name a something that starts with x and ends with z
Look at this recipe for something yummy I'll never make

I know I've been guilty of some of this crap myself, so I can't fault anyone for it.  At the same time, there's no reason to continue using the site if all it does is irritate the hell out of me whenever I view it. I have my own sites to work on, making Mark Zuckerberg richer isn't really high on my agenda.

So.... I'm deleting everything in my account.  I'd close it outright, but I still need the developer access for troubleshooting "like" links on my websites.  Otherwise, I'm done using it.  Just removing a month or two at a time until it's all gone. 

Subject: Re: Is anyone else "done" with Facebook?

Written By: Tashlovglit on 04/30/13 at 8:04 pm

I was done with Facebook a long time ago.  I had an account for a few years but it kept getting worse.  For the reasons posted above and others.  I've been better off without it for the past 2 years  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/13 at 8:26 pm

I'm in the minority I think because I like Facebook. But I don't 'love' it.

I'd actually love it if it didn't come off superficial, which it can come off like that sometimes.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/13 at 9:39 pm

I like a couple of the games but agree that the food pics and the  "ignore if you want god to kill all the puppies" pictures are getting old. 

Written By: Tashlovglit on 04/30/13 at 9:50 pm

I like a couple of the games but agree that the food pics and the  "ignore if you want god to kill all the puppies" pictures are getting old.

I remember chain letters from the days when My Space was the big thing.  It wasn't pictures either.  People would say stupid things like: "Re-post this or you will never find love".  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/30/13 at 11:38 pm

I'm too bitter and angry for Facebook.  It's a bad match, like inviting Charlie Manson to the ice cream social!
http://i1.cpcache.com/product/633229987/psycho_smiley_postcards_package_of_8.jpg?height=160&width=160

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:10 am

I'm too bitter and angry for Facebook.  It's a bad match, like inviting Charlie Manson to the ice cream social!
http://i1.cpcache.com/product/633229987/psycho_smiley_postcards_package_of_8.jpg?height=160&width=160

Isn't he that serial killer that was in a clown suit and killed all those cats? :D :D :D

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 6:24 am

Years ago I had an account, then shut it down..I kept it shut down for well over a year. Now I'm back.

Sometimes you just get tired of things, websites. It's normal.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/13 at 7:04 am

Never had a facebook account, never will. (Sorry Q.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 8:05 am

Never had a facebook account, never will. (Sorry Q.)

Cat

same here.

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/13 at 9:36 am

I still enjoy FB it's the easiest way for me to stay in touch with people. I don't really have Ike now for phone calls or long emails. FB sort of streamlines it all for me.

Written By: Katluver on 05/01/13 at 10:32 am

I don't like it.
I do have an account, but I'm barely on there.
I only have it to stay in the loop with some people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/13 at 11:35 am

Isn't he that serial killer that was in a clown suit and killed all those cats? :D :D :D

John Wayne Gacy was a clown, but he killed boys.  Maybe he killed cats.  I don't know.  Anybody who kills cats deserves the worst torture in hell.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/13 at 12:49 pm

I only have it to stay in the loop with some people.

at this point I don't even want to use it for that anymore.  people tend to over share, or share crap I just don't need to know

Written By: amjikloviet on 05/01/13 at 1:01 pm

The main reason I am on Facebook is to keep in touch with family members and friends that do not live near me and they live in other states/countries. Other than that I just ignore everything else. It's the fastest way to communicate with loved ones, because not everyone likes to talk on the phone. So I'm going to answer the topic question and say no, I'm not done with Facebook just yet.

Written By: Katluver on 05/01/13 at 2:46 pm

at this point I don't even want to use it for that anymore.  people tend to over share, or share crap I just don't need to know

bad wording---i meant about usign it only to stay in touch.
i agree with you that people over share on that site.

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 2:52 pm

For the few people that overshare, 90 to 95% of the people I know usually don't. And you can always hide their sharing of you don't like it. I joined to keep in touch mainly with relatives in Europe and wife's relatives and friends in Asia.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/01/13 at 8:16 pm

Anybody who kills cats deserves the worst torture in hell.

Agree 100%

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/01/13 at 9:02 pm

The other thing is once you're on FB, some people will only send you messages via Facebook.  Even if I get a notification in my email, I still have to log-on to FB to reply. 

Written By: karen on 05/02/13 at 1:55 pm

I find it a great way of keeping in touch with friends in the US.  I skim over plenty of posts that I am really not interested in reading to search out the ones I do want to see.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/02/13 at 2:40 pm

It had gotten to the point of where someone said "I haven't seen you on for awhile.  Are you okay?"  I decided to taper off quite a bit.  I do however have a substitute. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/13 at 3:46 pm

I have a Facebook, but I don't really do much with it other than keep in touch with people I do not see on a regular basis

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/13 at 3:31 am

I reconnected with a lot of people who I never would have seen again, or even have known where they were. I have also met a lot of cousins who I never would have known, my fathers side of the family from the other coast.  So it has been great in that way.  If you use it sparingly it is still good.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/13 at 12:03 am

I posted some things and made a bunch of comments over the past few days.  Once again I got the sense everybody I know is doing fabulous creative things with all the money they make at their high-paid professional jobs, and going here and their with their smart kids and their hot wives...and I'm a...I'm a...I'm a loser with no life!  So I try not to dwell on it.  If it bugs me, I just do something else. 
::) ::) ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/13 at 9:35 pm

I posted some things and made a bunch of comments over the past few days.  Once again I got the sense everybody I know is doing fabulous creative things with all the money they make at their high-paid professional jobs, and going here and their with their smart kids and their hot wives...and I'm a...I'm a...I'm a loser with no life!  So I try not to dwell on it.  If it bugs me, I just do something else. 
::) ::) ::)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WJgqRAx1PYY/TXmIcX7bipI/AAAAAAAAd0Q/HUESjQqaY1E/s1600/honest.jpg

You mean people would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies

http://i.imgur.com/2tQI5DL.jpg

Just tell lies to satiate the needs of their own narcissism

3VLZNDxbh6w

(This place is pretty cool, but I only post here when the valet's late with the Lamborghini...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/13 at 12:31 am

It's just, you know, my cousins are rich, beautiful high achievers, and me...nnnnah, not so much.  C'est la vie.  It's not that any of them have contempt for me, the problem is the disparity is so great we don't have much to say to each other.  It's not like they're Republicans on top of everything else either.  They're all very liberal.  Liberal, rich, beautiful, successful...and shakin' it all over Facebook!  They buy I new car the way I buy a new toothbrush!  They're posting about their start-ups, book release parties, and Hawaiian vacations.  It's not so much that I'm envious, it's that I sound like Cousin Eddie!

"I got laid off when they closed that asbestos plant, then, wouldn't you know it, the army cut my disability pension 'coz they said the plate in my head wudn't big enough!  Urrrrp!

:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 9:22 am

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WJgqRAx1PYY/TXmIcX7bipI/AAAAAAAAd0Q/HUESjQqaY1E/s1600/honest.jpg

You mean people would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies

http://i.imgur.com/2tQI5DL.jpg

Just tell lies to satiate the needs of their own narcissism

3VLZNDxbh6w

(This place is pretty cool, but I only post here when the valet's late with the Lamborghini...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/24/14 at 7:53 pm

http://romston.com/wp-posts/14-02-08-On_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog_Nobody/On_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog_Nobody_Img01.jpg

Why, yes, I did bump this thread even though it hasn't been active in over 120 days just so I could post this fantastic image.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/14 at 1:38 am

http://romston.com/wp-posts/14-02-08-On_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog_Nobody/On_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog_Nobody_Img01.jpgtDarkness link=topic=48282.msg3150853#msg3150853 date=1398387234]

Why, yes, I did bump this thread even though it hasn't been active in over 120 days just so I could post this fantastic image.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Na-GHx5cl1E/TnXMMilPp_I/AAAAAAAAA0k/C9BY7Fly1JQ/w800-h800/meanwhile-on-google%2B-640x480.jpg

It's been a while.  Long-dormant threads are repositories of wisdom.  For instance, g+ is also dead.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/27/14 at 10:47 am

I just politely like things even when I don't agree with it.

:)

Written By: warped on 04/29/14 at 6:41 am

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy04N2Y0NWRjN2Y3OTE2ZGQ1.png

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMi1lMjAwMTEyMmVhZTY2N2Nh.png

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/Rottenecards_1898741_pcv5c8stn5.png

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/30/14 at 11:55 am

I have been really irritated by Facebook lately, to the point where I deactivated my account a couple times.  The problem was, I was "following" too many pages, rather than just people.  Sure, I have a few annoying friends who are constantly taking "what kind of dog are you?" and "what month of the year are you?" quizzes, but I was seeing way too many ads and stupid "feel good" stories that promised to be "the most amazing thing you've ever seen", but fell way short of that claim. 

One thing I CANNOT STAND is game requests. 

I do find it very useful for keeping in touch with friends and family who are spread out across the country, people with whom I'd otherwise have very little or no contact. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/14 at 12:38 pm

You can block the game requests on Facebook

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/30/14 at 2:42 pm

I have been really irritated by Facebook lately, to the point where I deactivated my account a couple times.  The problem was, I was "following" too many pages, rather than just people.  Sure, I have a few annoying friends who are constantly taking "what kind of dog are you?" and "what month of the year are you?" quizzes, but I was seeing way too many ads and stupid "feel good" stories that promised to be "the most amazing thing you've ever seen", but fell way short of that claim. 

I do find it very useful for keeping in touch with friends and family who are spread out across the country, people with whom I'd otherwise have very little or no contact.

You have no idea how much I hate the click bait on Facebook- "I thought ____, but then I watched this and it completely changed how I feel about life..."- and the awful quizzes. Why would I ever need to know what kind of vegetable I am. What am I supposed to even do with that information?!

I feel like I am done with Facebook, but I'm afraid that if I deactivate my account, I will no longer stay in touch with my friends who live in various states. I am horrible at talking on the phone... I never even have my cell turned on (much to the dismay of my family).

Written By: warped on 04/30/14 at 3:01 pm

You have no idea how much I hate the click bait on Facebook- "I thought ____, but then I watched this and it completely changed how I feel about life..."- and the awful quizzes. Why would I ever need to know what kind of vegetable I am. What am I supposed to even do with that information?!

I feel like I am done with Facebook, but I'm afraid that if I deactivate my account, I will no longer stay in touch with my friends who live in various states. I am horrible at talking on the phone... I never even have my cell turned on (much to the dismay of my family).

I deactivated my facebook about 2+ years ago..just wasn't interested in it and didn't see the point. Now I spend more time on there then here...I guess many inthe00ze members with fb will say the same thing.

Everyone is different. If you like facebook, go there. If you want to leave and deactivate..go ahead. If you never want to go to facebook, don't go.  Same for staying here or leaving here.  You (not you personally, but a general "you") can decide how and where to spend your leisure time. Whatever sparks your interest.

I have blocked them all  ;D  Over 100 games!  ;D

(If you don't know how to block those requests, feel free to send me a pm and I'll try and explain how. I think it was Tam who showed me how to do it on facebook)

Written By: Inertia on 04/30/14 at 5:23 pm

Facebook is okay. It's an easy way to contact people. I get tired of drama and shared photographs with quotes filling my news feed though. It's a bunch of dreck.

Written By: Ripley on 04/30/14 at 6:27 pm

I've been done with facebook for years.  I had it for 4 years and was only very active at the start of that time. 

Written By: Katluver on 05/01/14 at 3:32 pm

I still have an account but haven't been on there in ages...

Written By: Ripley on 05/02/14 at 9:52 pm

I'm going to try it again.  I hope I can figure it out :p

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/03/14 at 12:43 pm

Yes, Facebook is getting a little stale, the majority of it seems to be either reposts of memes/links/YouTube videos (which I am totally guilty of doing myself) or game invites (blow me).

Yet, I still love it. It has gotten me back in contact with so many people, particularly old Army friends from 20 years who I had lost touch with and had resigned myself to the fact that I'd never hear from them again. It has rekindled a lot of old friendships, and even though it happens less and less frequently, every so often someone from 70th Trans will come out of the woodwork and register on FB and it makes me so happy to hear from them again. My old unit even has it's own Facebook group and I'm always glad to steer my old Army friends towards it.

That more than makes up for all the irritating Candy Crush Saga and Farmville requests I'm constantly bombarded with.  ::)

Written By: karen on 05/03/14 at 12:47 pm

That more than makes up for all the irritating Candy Crush Saga and Farmville requests I'm constantly bombarded with.  ::)

you can stop those from appearing in your feed.  I think snoz knows how to do it.  Someone on here told me but I just followed instructions that forgot again!

Written By: warped on 05/03/14 at 6:03 pm

you can stop those from appearing in your feed.  I think snoz knows how to do it.  Someone on here told me but I just followed instructions that forgot again!

When on facebook..
-Click on "games" on the left hand side
-then click on "search for apps" on the left hand side..it's near the top of the page
-Type the game you want to block...you will see options when you start typing.
-Click on the game
-On the right hand side...slightly right of the middle, you will see a button that says "block"...click on it
-Click confirm...and you are done!

Written By: karen on 05/04/14 at 11:34 am

When on facebook..
-Click on "games" on the left hand side
-then click on "search for apps" on the left hand side..it's near the top of the page
-Type the game you want to block...you will see options when you start typing.
-Click on the game
-On the right hand side...slightly right of the middle, you will see a button that says "block"...click on it
-Click confirm...and you are done!

I wished there was a way of blocking all game requests really.  I get loads of them, but I'm not interested.  I know its mostly people posting them out so they get the next level but they still annoy me

Written By: Step-chan on 05/06/14 at 12:19 am

I never started an account on Facebook and never will.

Like with sports, I never saw the appeal of it.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/20/14 at 10:08 pm

I seem to get all of the weirdos sending me stupidly worded Facebook inboxes.  :P  It's like my profile seems to attract people seeking long-term relationships and they use Facebook as a "dating service."  :(

Written By: warped on 05/23/14 at 10:48 am

I seem to get all of the weirdos sending me stupidly worded Facebook inboxes.  :P  It's like my profile seems to attract people seeking long-term relationships and they use Facebook as a "dating service."  :(

I get friend requests from people who wanna get to know me and send me messages. takes a few clicks to block and report them. 

Written By: Katluver on 05/29/14 at 8:28 pm

I get friend requests from people who wanna get to know me and send me messages. takes a few clicks to block and report them.

Are they people you know? I haven't been on that site in a while, but I remember getting requests from random strangers.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/29/14 at 8:40 pm

Are they people you know? I haven't been on that site in a while, but I remember getting requests from random strangers.

I usually don't accept "friend" requests from strangers but this last guy said things that just made my skin crawl.  I won't repeat what he said but it still makes me suspicious that he thinks that I'm rich and I can bring him over.  :( :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/14 at 4:29 am

I usually don't accept "friend" requests from strangers but this last guy said things that just made my skin crawl.  I won't repeat what he said but it still makes me suspicious that he thinks that I'm rich and I can bring him over.  :( :P
I am keeping my Facebook to close friends only, that way I do not get strange requests etc.

It proves useful for instant communication with distant relatives.

...and at times I find Facebook inspirational.

Written By: warped on 05/30/14 at 11:22 am

No, they are from people I never heard of in my life  ;D

A couple of clicks and they are gone.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/11/16 at 3:36 am

It has gotten to the point of where if I am not on people start to worry.  I've started reading books again to fill up the time.  So no, I'm not dead I am reading!!!  Or on here. :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/16 at 4:27 am

It has gotten to the point of where if I am not on people start to worry.  I've started reading books again to fill up the time.  So no, I'm not dead I am reading!!!  Or on here. :)

I was worried.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/11/16 at 4:53 am

I was worried.

Aaawww and here I thought you'd be spamming the crap out of it. ;D 

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/16 at 9:04 am

Aaawww and here I thought you'd be spamming the crap out of it. ;D

I worry silently.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/11/16 at 4:32 pm

I worry silently.

Can't you worry and post Buffy spam? ???  Please.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/16 at 3:14 am

Can't you worry and post Buffy spam? ???  Please.

Why yes. But right now it's mostly about TWD spam since it returns on the 14th.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/27/16 at 3:41 pm

If anyone wants to add me on FB feel free to, my name's Jessica Ann Martinez and it will say Providence RI. It would be nice if some of you actually do. :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/27/16 at 6:17 pm

If you add me you'll find out my full first name lol its just V on here! But I've just hid my friend list cause some people from work I don't want to find me lol.  But if you would like to add me give me your name or user name and I will add you!

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 10:41 am

I'm on there too much really. Compared to this time last year its scary.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/17 at 5:05 am

I am keeping my Facebook to close friends only, that way I do not get strange requests etc.

It proves useful for instant communication with distant relatives.

...and at times I find Facebook inspirational.

It is coming up to 3 years since the quoted reply and I still hold the same views.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/17 at 5:42 am

I'm still on there. Probably a bit too much.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/17 at 3:27 pm

Only for Messenger. I can't remember the last time I went on the site proper.

Written By: tv on 01/29/17 at 8:00 pm

Was never on Facebook. My Dad has a facebook account though to keep in touch with certain people or to see what people that he hasn't seen in awhile are up to.

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/17 at 3:45 pm

I'm eating humble pie because I said on Inthe00s that I had enough of Facebook a few years ago and then recently decided to come back to 'the dark side' to keep track of my friends and colleagues that have left my place of work.

Written By: CeeKay on 02/11/17 at 3:48 pm

I use it to keep up with friends and family. I love personal pics and video from my kids and such. I just delete people who annoy me!

Check for new replies or respond here...