inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MAY we ask what's going on with you this month?

Written By: nally on 05/01/13 at 12:32 am

Happy May Day everyone!

Hope this month goes well for all of us...

Subject: Re: MAY we ask what's going on with you this month?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:09 am

I feel lighter these days, no not body weight wise, mentally/emotionally lighter. Although I won't be fully out of my hermit mode until around this time next year.

How do I know? Instinct/intuition.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:09 am

Happy May Day everyone!

Hope this month goes well for all of us...

For you too. 8)

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 6:21 am

First of May

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRWK90QFamw

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/13 at 8:06 am

"White Rabbit"

First of May

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRWK90QFamw
Rats!!!! You beat me to it!

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 8:10 am

Hopefully in May the weather will co-operate and begin to feel warmer and not like the cooler temperatures we've been having lately.

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/13 at 9:29 am

Landlords gone so I'm spring cleaning my apt.  Deep cleaning is more like it.

Found a crapload for goodwill and some stuff to put on eBay.  :)

Written By: wildcard on 05/01/13 at 11:30 am

may day may day

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/01/13 at 11:35 am

Stepdaughter is flying in from California on May 15th to live with us permanently.  She is shipping her snake the night before.

Should be... interesting.  :-\\ :-X

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 12:58 pm

Stepdaughter is flying in from California on May 15th to live with us permanently.  She is shipping her snake the night before.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/35040673.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/13 at 1:03 pm

Very interesting!

http://www.iceposter.com/thumbs/MOV_e2464ddb_b.jpg

Written By: Katluver on 05/01/13 at 2:49 pm

1st day of May: Nothing really new except I don't have any networks available on my laptop so I'm plugged in the old-fashioned way.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:58 pm

Landlords gone so I'm spring cleaning my apt.  Deep cleaning is more like it.

Found a crapload for goodwill and some stuff to put on eBay.  :)

like clothes and games?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:59 pm

1st day of May: Nothing really new except I don't have any networks available on my laptop so I'm plugged in the old-fashioned way.

from the early 90's? Dial Up?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/13 at 4:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljyjiIMH9o

Happy Beltane Everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzaUskMyJmM

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/01/13 at 5:07 pm

For you too. 8)

Gee thanks. :) My main goal is still to find a paid working position.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/01/13 at 8:19 pm

My mom is having a surgery late in the month.  It's a simple one I think but it still scares me  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 7:44 am

My mom is having a surgery late in the month.  It's a simple one I think but it still scares me  :\'(

hope her surgery works out well.  :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 8:34 am

Thanks Howard!  She has been having problems for quit some time so hopefully this will resolve it  ???

Written By: nally on 05/02/13 at 12:40 pm

^Let's hope for the best. :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 12:50 pm

Thanks  :)

Written By: karen on 05/02/13 at 2:03 pm

Morris dancing last night to mark the first of May.  Unfortunately neither of our singers were there for us to dance to May song.  But we had three good dances to show the audience.

Both children off to camp this weekend (titled May the fourth be with you!).  Dai is orienteering at the British Championships on Saturday and I will be painting a bit more of the lounge.  On Sunday I am dancing at a local canal boat festival and on Monday (a holiday in the UK) I will be dancing again at a local village fete.  Hopefully Dai will finish painting the lounge while I'm out and about!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/13 at 2:19 pm

Morris dancing last night to mark the first of May.  Unfortunately neither of our singers were there for us to dance to May song.  But we had three good dances to show the audience.

There were morris dancers in Leicester Square London yesterday, there is no video on YouTUbe, but Classic FM on their Facebook has a short video of them.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/13 at 4:36 pm

Both children off to camp this weekend (titled May the fourth be with you!).  Dai is orienteering at the British Championships on Saturday and I will be painting a bit more of the lounge.  On Sunday I am dancing at a local canal boat festival and on Monday (a holiday in the UK) I will be dancing again at a local village fete.  Hopefully Dai will finish painting the lounge while I'm out and about!

Lounge...is that British for family room? Den? Bathroom?

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/13 at 7:20 pm

This week has been one long Monday.  I really hope tomorrow is better.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/13 at 7:36 pm

This week has been one long Monday.  I really hope tomorrow is better.

Maybe it's a trade off.  May your next week be 5 days worth of Fridays!!!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 7:47 pm

All Fridays would be nice  ;D I used to have the same days off every week but now it depends on what's going on at work.

Written By: nally on 05/02/13 at 7:59 pm

Well, there's been a brushfire burning in the hills between Camarillo and Newbury Park, all day long. It's about 10 miles to the east (via hwy 101) from where I live. And it's monopolizing the TV newscasts right now, as there is virtually no containment of it as of yet.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Howard!  She has been having problems for quit some time so hopefully this will resolve it  ???

what is this surgery on?  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 8:06 pm

All Fridays would be nice  ;D I used to have the same days off every week but now it depends on what's going on at work.

once in a while they'll give me Friday's off but it's rare.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 8:07 pm

Well, there's been a brushfire burning in the hills between Camarillo and Newbury Park, all day long. It's about 10 miles to the east (via hwy 101) from where I live. And it's monopolizing the TV newscasts right now, as there is virtually no containment of it as of yet.

I saw that on the news.  The wind there needs to calm down  :o

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 8:08 pm

what is this surgery on?  ???

Exploratory on her stomack.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/13 at 8:13 pm

I took a week off from work and i get a lot of east coast feeds so if not for Facebook I wouldn't even know about this one.

Stay safe.

Written By: nally on 05/02/13 at 8:15 pm

I took a week off from work and i get a lot of east coast feeds so if not for Facebook I wouldn't even know about this one.

Stay safe.

I figured you might have heard something about it as well.. In addition, some of my Facebook friends have posted pictures/updates about it as well.

I don't plan on traveling that direction anytime in the next couple days, so it shouldn't affect me too badly.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/13 at 8:20 pm

I figured you might have heard something about it as well.. In addition, some of my Facebook friends have posted pictures/updates about it as well.

I don't plan on traveling that direction anytime in the next couple days, so it shouldn't affect me too badly.

You don't go that way too often right? Just dentist appts and stuff?  I was planning on going to LA again this week. I was just there on Mon. And in your hood of Oxnard on Tuesday. I think I could've thrown a rock at your house. (Meaning I was close not that I'd literally throw a rock at your house  :D  ). At any rate I think I'll pass on traveling south any more this week.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/13 at 8:52 pm

Maybe it's a trade off.  May your next week be 5 days worth of Fridays!!!

Thank you...I hope it is. :D

Scary.  Are you in any danger?

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 9:12 pm

Exploratory on her stomack.

I see.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/13 at 4:02 am

My sister has gotten an apartment in an elderly housing unit. She lives in the family house by herself and it is a total wreck, and she has multiple health problems, so this is something we have been waiting for.  She is going from a hoarder house to one bedroom, kitchenette, living room.  Sooner we get her in the better.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/03/13 at 11:13 am

Thank you...I hope it is. :D

Scary.  Are you in any danger?

I'm not in any immediate danger because it's a good 10 miles or so to the east of where I live. Only the neighborhoods near the hills are in danger...and I am not near any hills.

Here is one of the latest news updates on it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/03/california-wildfires/2131801/

Written By: nally on 05/03/13 at 11:15 am

You don't go that way too often right? Just dentist appts and stuff?  I was planning on going to LA again this week. I was just there on Mon. And in your hood of Oxnard on Tuesday. I think I could've thrown a rock at your house. (Meaning I was close not that I'd literally throw a rock at your house  :D  ). At any rate I think I'll pass on traveling south any more this week.

I go that way about once every two weeks to visit someone in Thousand Oaks. (I could take an alternate route to get there if need be.) And my last dentist appointment was a week ago, so I won't have another dental appointment until October.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 8:20 pm

Starting soon, Pathmark employees will have to log on to a website to receive a photocopy of their viewed paychecks(stubs) because now they are no longer going to be using paper, they want to save money so they figured the best way is to go to that website and put in a password with also some valid information and there you go. Saves me time now cause I don't have to wait on the line for a stub It will be right there on the web.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/03/13 at 8:32 pm

Starting soon, Pathmark employees will have to log on to a website to receive a photocopy of their viewed paychecks(stubs) because now they are no longer going to be using paper, they want to save money so they figured the best way is to go to that website and put in a password with also some valid information and there you go. Saves me time now cause I don't have to wait on the line for a stub It will be right there on the web.

It sounds like a good convenience.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 9:09 pm

It sounds like a good convenience.

what about the other people who don't have a computer?

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/13 at 10:02 pm

what about the other people who don't have a computer?

Most people have computers....or friends/family with computers so they shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Written By: karen on 05/04/13 at 3:27 am

Lounge...is that British for family room? Den? Bathroom?

I guess family room is the equivalent.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 7:05 am

Most people have computers....or friends/family with computers so they shouldn't have too much of a problem.

It's easy for me now, On Thursday or Friday I don't have to bother the person and ask for my pay stub anymore It'll be right there at my convenience. just print it out and put it away for my files.

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/13 at 11:21 am

I guess family room is the equivalent.

Thanks.

Written By: nally on 05/04/13 at 11:29 am

I'm not in any immediate danger because it's a good 10 miles or so to the east of where I live. Only the neighborhoods near the hills are in danger...and I am not near any hills.

Here is one of the latest news updates on it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/03/california-wildfires/2131801/

Another update... this fire is now 30% contained, and has burned 28,000 acres. I stepped outside not too long ago and could actually smell it, even though I am 10+ miles away from it.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/04/13 at 4:58 pm

So this week has been one long Monday at work.  Everything from computer problems to people calling in sick to lots of work.  Being the supervisor, I have to stay til the work is done...part of the job.  (overtime is also nice ;) )

Anyway, I stayed late yesterday.  As I was getting in my car I looked up and saw my boss following me.  He wanted to thank me for how hard I have been working and that they appreciated it.  Then he gave me an envelope and told me to keep it between us as they didn't give one to everyone.  I said thanks and gave him a hug.  Thinking maybe $20.  We had talked earlier in the week about how he wanted to get to the point where he could give "brownie points" to people who went the extra mile. (we had a girl come in on her day off to help get the work done on our busy day)  His idea was $20.  I opened up when I got home and it was $100!  I was so happy...that is the money I needed to get the swamp cooler started up. 

The money was nice but it was much nicer just to hear thanks.  I don't get that often.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/13 at 5:12 pm

So this week has been one long Monday at work.  Everything from computer problems to people calling in sick to lots of work.  Being the supervisor, I have to stay til the work is done...part of the job.  (overtime is also nice ;) )

Anyway, I stayed late yesterday.  As I was getting in my car I looked up and saw my boss following me.  He wanted to thank me for how hard I have been working and that they appreciated it.  Then he gave me an envelope and told me to keep it between us as they didn't give one to everyone.  I said thanks and gave him a hug.  Thinking maybe $20.  We had talked earlier in the week about how he wanted to get to the point where he could give "brownie points" to people who went the extra mile. (we had a girl come in on her day off to help get the work done on our busy day)  His idea was $20.  I opened up when I got home and it was $100!  I was so happy...that is the money I needed to get the swamp cooler started up. 

The money was nice but it was much nicer just to hear thanks.  I don't get that often.  :)

Way cool. It is always nice to hear, "Thanks" and $100 is VERY nice.

Sometimes that karma thing does work.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/13 at 6:46 pm

That's  awesome dag.  Nice to hear sometimes that god deeds, hard wOrk & dedication don't always go unrewarded

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 7:53 pm

that was very nice on his part.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 7:56 pm

I got my first praise from a customer this afternoon before I started work. The lady wanted me to carry a small case of Poland Spring water to put in her wagon, she thanked me, I shook her hand and she told the front-end manager Dawn about me.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/04/13 at 7:57 pm

I got my first praise from a customer this afternoon before I started work. The lady wanted me to carry a small case of Poland Spring water to put in her wagon, she thanked me, I shook her hand and she told the front-end manager Dawn about me.  :)

Awesome :)

Written By: nally on 05/04/13 at 8:37 pm

That is wonderful news, Howard. :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/04/13 at 8:54 pm

That's great Howard  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/13 at 9:33 pm

That was very nice of you Howard

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 12:15 pm

Good job Howard. Remember that moment when you feel down sometimes. Keep doing nice things for people, and once in a while when you  get appreciated like this, it brings personal and job satisfaction.

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 12:17 pm

Did you ever wake up feeling so dopey...like you were stoned..but you didn't take any drugs....and you tend to have a bizarre imagination and start thinking of bizarre ways of looking at things and everything makes you laugh? 

I feel that way today.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/13 at 12:28 pm

Did you ever wake up feeling so dopey...like you were stoned..but you didn't take any drugs....and you tend to have a bizarre imagination and start thinking of bizarre ways of looking at things and everything makes you laugh? 

I feel that way today.

You probably didn't get a good night's sleep. You can try taking a nap or go through the rest of the day with that feeling and then go to bed early tonight. After you sleep, you should feel more like yourself again.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 3:01 pm

You probably didn't get a good night's sleep. You can try taking a nap or go through the rest of the day with that feeling and then go to bed early tonight. After you sleep, you should feel more like yourself again.

Cat

But if I get some sleep, I won't feel this weird/warped and happy anymore. Not a good solution.  ;D 
I have to clean my sink anyways today. Wife broke a whole bottle of mayonnaise in it.

sink of mayo.

:D :D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/13 at 3:12 pm

But if I get some sleep, I won't feel this weird/warped and happy anymore. Not a good solution.  ;D 
I have to clean my sink anyways today. Wife broke a whole bottle of mayonnaise in it.

sink of mayo.

:D :D ;D

You clean it up? I'm impressed. If I did that-you can guess who will be cleaning it up. And if Carlos did that, you can guess who will be cleaning that up, too.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 3:14 pm

You clean it up? I'm impressed. If I did that-you can guess who will be cleaning it up. And if Carlos did that, you can guess who will be cleaning that up, too.  :-\\

Cat

(Sorry Cat) The "sink" thing didn't happen. My post obviously was a poor attempt at a "Cinco de mayo" joke...(sink of mayo)  :-\\

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/13 at 4:26 pm

(Sorry Cat) The "sink" thing didn't happen. My post obviously was a poor attempt at a "Cinco de mayo" joke...(sink of mayo)  :-\\

;D

Ok, that went over my head (and under my feet).  :-[

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 5:45 pm

That was very nice of you Howard

Thanks.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 5:46 pm

I feel that way today.

How much sleep did you get last night?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 5:53 pm

Do you get bothered by the big boss the minute you come in and they ask you to start NOW before you even put away your stuff and put it in your locker? I had that this morning, I come in and I start at 10 but I figured I be there a little after 830 so I can least have a doughnut and coffee to relax but nope I put away my coat told him I'll be with the outside in just a second, let me use the bathroom. A few people were outside as well and we all swept and I took out the garbage because the maintenance company didn't show up last night,Oh well, did what I needed to do and I made the money.

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 5:55 pm

How much sleep did you get last night?

5 to 6 hours, about normal. I'm just in a laughing weird creative "bizarre thoughts" day today. I feel I can do anything today. I feel I can almost fly...it's a weird feeling I get once in a awhile.

I feel like a battle ship exiting an erupting volcano on Mars, while a faith healing squirrel saves thousand from arthritis pain because the tower of Pisa is now leaning the other way...that kind of feeling. Weird.

Written By: warped on 05/05/13 at 6:02 pm

Do you get bothered by the big boss the minute you come in and they ask you to start NOW before you even put away your stuff and put it in your locker? I had that this morning, I come in and I start at 10 but I figured I be there a little after 830 so I can least have a doughnut and coffee to relax but nope I put away my coat told him I'll be with the outside in just a second, let me use the bathroom. A few people were outside as well and we all swept and I took out the garbage because the maintenance company didn't show up last night,Oh well, did what I needed to do and I made the money.

Yeah, sure. When I worked in a call center and got there early, they'd ask me to start right away, usually because there was high call volume or people phoned in sick.
It happens.

Written By: nally on 05/05/13 at 6:03 pm

5 to 6 hours, about normal. I'm just in a laughing weird creative "bizarre thoughts" day today. I feel I can do anything today. I feel I can almost fly...it's a weird feeling I get once in a awhile.

I feel like a battle ship exiting an erupting volcano on Mars, while a faith healing squirrel saves thousand from arthritis pain because the tower of Pisa is now leaning the other way...that kind of feeling. Weird.

I...don't know what to say. In a way that could be considered a good thing.

On some days when I get up from not having enough sleep, I often feel sleepy the whole day and not able to do anything.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, sure. When I worked in a call center and got there early, they'd ask me to start right away, usually because there was high call volume or people phoned in sick.
It happens.

as for Pathmark it was such a pigsty this morning that they needed to have me start now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/13 at 6:15 pm

Can you bottle that?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/06/13 at 1:32 pm

Just had a minor panic.  We've obviously done some cookie clean-ups or something on the computer and I needed to log in to the site.  I wasn't sure I could remember my password!

I also need to log back in to Facebook and I've no idea what my log in details are for that.  :-\\

Busy couple of days here with morris dancing.  The weather has been great and I've caught the sun a little.  Yesterday I forgot to put suncream on at all.  Today I tried to put it on but I think I missed a bit around my collar.

Back to work tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 05/07/13 at 4:34 pm

Tomorrow I will probably go shopping for a Mother's Day gift for my mom. Can't do it today because I have other things (already planned) going on.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/07/13 at 5:35 pm

Left work giggling today.  My PITA keyer who is always complaining to others about how horrible the company is was at it again.  One of our other keyers had to temporarily work from home due to scheduling conflicts with her husband.  It is until they get a second car in a couple of months.  Well my PITA and her sidekick apparently were bitching today about how unfair it is.  A newbie that sits right next to them came to me and said that two people in the corner, but she wouldn't say who, were complaining and planning to go to Christian about it.  I didn't need names, they are the same ones that always bitch.  The company wants to rip them off that's why comps are slow, etc.  (forget the fact that slow computers means less work gets done and less money for the company as well.  Hello, they want fast computers) 

Anyway, Christian is the one who approved it.  Heck, she asked him before she came to me.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they run back there to tattle on me playing favorites and all.  I guess the concept of who works from home is not up to me is foreign to them, even though it is known in the room.  This is the type of situation I want to avoid so it is all in Christian's hands that way I am not 'playing favorites.'

The really funny thing is that when special things come up PITA's name comes up.  She may bitch about how I run the room and not like the way I manage, but she is reliable and does her job.  I don't care if she likes me I just care that the work gets done and gets done right.  So, in a sense she is one of my favorites.  ::)

Now, I could see if it were taking work away from the others but we are super slammed and shorthanded right now. 7 people have quit in the last month and the resumes coming in are not very promising.  We had two interviews scheduled yesterday and one got another job and the other just didn't show.  If there was little work the home girl wouldn't get work.  It is to help us make deadlines.  Extra hours were even offered last week and yesterday and PITA ran right at 8 so don't whine that we have to get help elsewhere. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/07/13 at 5:40 pm

speaking of PITA (sorry about yours Dag)... I'm stuck with mine for 30 hrs a week in this small room....ugh now I wish I had taken that job at UCLA  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 05/07/13 at 5:43 pm

speaking of PITA (sorry about yours Dag)... I'm stuck with mine for 30 hrs a week in this small room....ugh now I wish I had taken that job at UCLA  :-\\

Your's sounds worse.  At least mine sits in the corner and only whines outside to her sidekick.  Is it permanent?

Written By: snozberries on 05/07/13 at 6:11 pm

Your's sounds worse.  At least mine sits in the corner and only whines outside to her sidekick.  Is it permanent?

permanent PITA....yes...she's terminal  :D

we supposedly have this schedule for the next 4 months...

but after that I don't know where we move to so it could be longer  :-\\

I got excited b/c someone told me she was going to retire soon....turns out that's like 3 yrs down the road  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/13 at 6:56 pm

We are at my youngest step-daughter's house right now. She is in need of a babysitter tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/07/13 at 7:08 pm

Tomorrow I wait around for my sisters furniture to arrive at her unit in elderly housing and make sure they put it in the right spots.  Thursday morning I sign my pension papers.  After my sister moves we are going to have to clean out the house  8-P and try to sell it.

Written By: nally on 05/08/13 at 7:04 pm

Tomorrow I will probably go shopping for a Mother's Day gift for my mom. Can't do it today because I have other things (already planned) going on.

And I purchased the gift today. :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/08/13 at 7:28 pm

And I purchased the gift today. :)

I will take my mom to the zoo for her gift, also got my grandmother a card  :)

Written By: nally on 05/08/13 at 7:33 pm

Very nice. I got a card for my mom already; now you've reminded me that I need to get one for my grandmother as well. Thanks. :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/08/13 at 7:36 pm

Very nice. I got a card for my mom already; now you've reminded me that I need to get one for my grandmother as well. Thanks. :)

You're welcome  :)

Written By: nally on 05/08/13 at 11:05 pm

You're welcome  :)

Yeah, we'll be going out to see my grandma on Sunday, and the four of us are gonna go out for a nice lunch together.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/13 at 7:27 am

We'll probably go out for dinner depending on the weather and my day off.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/09/13 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, we'll be going out to see my grandma on Sunday, and the four of us are gonna go out for a nice lunch together.

That will be nice  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/13 at 1:33 pm

I am exhausted-but home.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/13 at 4:50 pm

Sitting outside in Beverly Hills exchanging pleasantries with the great Stan Lee!
Some days I love my life more than others.  8)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/10/13 at 5:20 pm

Sitting outside in Beverly Hills exchanging pleasantries with the great Stan Lee!

Lucky :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/13 at 5:22 pm

Lucky :P

With Q, luck has nothing to do with it. It comes from her stalking knowing where and when to be.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/10/13 at 6:48 pm

Awesome!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/10/13 at 7:13 pm

With Q, luck has nothing to do with it. It comes from her stalking knowing where and when to be.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/10/13 at 8:13 pm

wow.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/13 at 11:18 pm

Cat

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/13 at 3:28 am

WHOA!    :o

Written By: loki 13 on 05/12/13 at 6:59 pm

Did the exchange go anything like Sheldon's?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2genNZx6waA

I was outvoted, no, dare I say I didn't even have a voice. I have had a no pets policy since I've been married.
I grew up with dogs but I didn't want the responsibilty when I grew older. I treat pets like kids now, they are
great when they belong to someone else because you can always give them back. Well, that has changed.
My wife's brother gave her a puppy. He is a Siberian Husky/German Shepard mix. I must admit, he is a great
puppy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/13 at 7:44 pm

My brother just told me that he thinks Father's Day should be renamed Motherf**ker's Day.

Written By: snozberries on 05/12/13 at 7:58 pm

yes....exactly like that  :D

I was outvoted, no, dare I say I didn't even have a voice. I have had a no pets policy since I've been married.
I grew up with dogs but I didn't want the responsibilty when I grew older. I treat pets like kids now, they are
great when they belong to someone else because you can always give them back. Well, that has changed.
My wife's brother gave her a puppy. He is a Siberian Husky/German Shepard mix. I must admit, he is a great
puppy.

welcome to the wonderful world of puppy parenting!!!

Written By: snozberries on 05/12/13 at 8:06 pm

I got a free banana split 3 scoop sundae from Denny's today

I know I know... diet...blah, blah, blah... I had a serious craving so deal with it... It wasn't satisfied anyway  :P

This may come to surprise you but I'm kinda picky about my food http://pics.picturetrail.com/res/album/bling/smileys/icon_ducking.gif  :P

So I go into Denny's and order what I think is one of the best banana splits I've ever had...

They make it with chocolate strawberry and vanilla ice cream and hot fudge, strawberry and caramel topping... I love neapolitan ice cream but not in a banana split...  and I hate caramel topping so I order

a banana split
all vanilla
hot fudge on the ends and strawberry topping in the middle
whipped cream, nuts and  cherries (I always say plural in hopes I get more than one!  :D )

they were all out of vanilla... I knew it was a bad idea but I decided to go with strawberry ice cream...

strawberry ice cream didn't lend itself to the flavor profile very well... it was too overpowering so you didn't get the perfect blend of flavors....plus... dude forgot to put a banana in my banana split  ::)  and instead of plural cherries I got zero cherries... 

the manager asked how it was when I went to pay and I said "to be honest it was quite disappointing, that didn't stop me from eating the whole thing but I didn't really enjoy it" 

And that's how you get a free banana split 3 scoop sundae!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/12/13 at 8:07 pm

My brother just told me that he thinks Father's Day should be renamed Motherf**ker's Day.

HAHA!!

Written By: nally on 05/12/13 at 9:35 pm

So, my mom had a nice time today. As did her mom.

We went to church in the morning...and then drove directly out to my grandma's house in the San Fernando Valley portion of Los Angeles. It was quite hot there today; I guess summer came early or something. The four of us went to the Black Angus restaurant in Northridge, where we had a nice meal. From there we went to visit my great-aunt, who is living in an assisted-living facility; she appreciated our company for the one hour we were there. So then we took my grandma back home, and then drove all the way back to our place...where it was much cooler.

Written By: wildcard on 05/12/13 at 10:36 pm

my brother John came over and got mom one of those soda makers.

tomorrow is laundry day for me, Tuesday is an appointment in Sacramento for the bearded lady to get some more hair removed,  then the bearded lady gets her new mattress on Wednesday.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/12/13 at 11:18 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/13/13 at 8:19 am

puppy.

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/13/13 at 8:20 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/13/13 at 8:21 am

I know I know... diet...blah, blah, blah... I had a serious craving so deal with it... It wasn't satisfied anyway  :P

This may come to surprise you but I'm kinda picky about my food http://pics.picturetrail.com/res/album/bling/smileys/icon_ducking.gif  :P

So I go into Denny's and order what I think is one of the best banana splits I've ever had...

They make it with chocolate strawberry and vanilla ice cream and hot fudge, strawberry and caramel topping... I love neapolitan ice cream but not in a banana split...  and I hate caramel topping so I order

a banana split
all vanilla
whipped cream, nuts and  cherries (I always say plural in hopes I get more than one!  :D )

they were all out of vanilla... I knew it was a bad idea but I decided to go with strawberry ice cream...

strawberry ice cream didn't lend itself to the flavor profile very well... it was too overpowering so you didn't get the perfect blend of flavors....plus... dude forgot to put a banana in my banana split  ::)  and instead of plural cherries I got zero cherries... 

the manager asked how it was when I went to pay and I said "to be honest it was quite disappointing, that didn't stop me from eating the whole thing but I didn't really enjoy it" 

you should've got your banana.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/13 at 8:26 am

My Mother thinks it's getting to the point where They (Uncle, Aunt and My Mother) can't take My Grandmother who is 96 years old anywhere anymore because she is fragile, wears Depends all the time and takes medications for her bladder problems, I still love My Grandmother but it's getting harder and harder for her to remember most things.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/13 at 9:40 am

a banana split
all vanilla

I love banana splits and I too, do not like caramel so I usually get hot chocolate, strawberry, & marshmallow toppings.

I guess Denny's has changed. There was a time when blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc. couldn't be served. One time Carlos' cousin (who is darker than he is) went to Denny's with his wife (who is whiter than I am) and they weren't served at all-of course they walked out. From that moment, we boycotted Denny's. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/13 at 1:08 pm

I love banana splits and I too, do not like caramel so I usually get hot chocolate, strawberry, & marshmallow toppings.

I guess Denny's has changed. There was a time when blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc. couldn't be served. One time Carlos' cousin (who is darker than he is) went to Denny's with his wife (who is whiter than I am) and they weren't served at all-of course they walked out. From that moment, we boycotted Denny's. 

Cat

Denny's has franchises and company stores. Chances are you were in a feanchiser's store. The company itself was always very good to us. My mom worked in management at Denny's in Las Vegas and many towns from Pismo Beach to Northern Ca (near Sacramento). From 1978-199something.

I've eaten in almost every Denny's in the state since moving to cali in 81 and never had an issue.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/13 at 8:59 pm

Good friend of mine got thrown out by his wife the other night and asked me if he could crash at my place. I told him to come on over. When he showed up he looked pretty rough, like he'd lost quite a bit of weight and hadn't been sleeping very well. I took one look at him and said, "Man, are we the f**kin' Odd Couple now?" and started humming the theme song. He actually thought that was pretty funny.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/13/13 at 10:34 pm

I have a job interview Thursday morning with the legal defenders office.  I am a bundle of nerves right now, it has been a long time since I have been on that side of the table.  Also, I am wracking my brain trying to come up with one more professional reference.  I have my old boss at my current company, she works there now.  I have my "boss" in the children's ministry at church.  Even though it is a volunteer thing, I still made a commitment to teaching and he is the leader.  My mom suggested my old boss (from 1993), really the last boss before this one.  I need to call her tomorrow and hope the company is still in business. 

I guess I can just explain that with 18 years at the same company it is hard to come up with professional references.  I don't want to ask my current boss, I am not letting them know unless I get the job.  Don't want to rock the boat if I don't need to.

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/13 at 12:35 am

I have a job interview Thursday morning with the legal defenders office.  I am a bundle of nerves right now, it has been a long time since I have been on that side of the table.  Also, I am wracking my brain trying to come up with one more professional reference.  I have my old boss at my current company, she works there now.  I have my "boss" in the children's ministry at church.  Even though it is a volunteer thing, I still made a commitment to teaching and he is the leader.  My mom suggested my old boss (from 1993), really the last boss before this one.  I need to call her tomorrow and hope the company is still in business. 

I guess I can just explain that with 18 years at the same company it is hard to come up with professional references.  I don't want to ask my current boss, I am not letting them know unless I get the job.  Don't want to rock the boat if I don't need to.

Best of luck to you dag

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/13 at 12:36 am

Good friend of mine got thrown out by his wife the other night and asked me if he could crash at my place. I told him to come on over. When he showed up he looked pretty rough, like he'd lost quite a bit of weight and hadn't been sleeping very well. I took one look at him and said, "Man, are we the f**kin' Odd Couple now?" and started humming the theme song. He actually thought that was pretty funny.  ;D

;D

If u hasn't said it first I was totally gonna say it.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/13 at 7:10 am

good luck Dag.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/14/13 at 5:43 pm

Best of luck to ya, Dag. I hope you do well.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/14/13 at 7:29 pm

Thanks, guys.  This one just fell into my lap.  My old boss called me to say they were hiring.  I figured I may as well try.  I will do my best and if it is where I am meant to be I will get it.

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/13 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, guys.  This one just fell into my lap.  My old boss called me to say they were hiring.  I figured I may as well try.  I will do my best and if it is where I am meant to be I will get it.

That's my girl!!!

So I went to a professional women's development day on campus and because I liked them on FB at the right time I won a $50 gift certificate to a restaurant on campus. It's kinda upscale so that's good for 2 meals 3 if planned properly.  My officers are doing Tip-a-cop there on June 5th. That means I only have to pay for the tip (it's a fund raiser for Soecial Okumpics so you tip more than the standard 20%. - I usually tip $20. ) least I get out the door cheap this year!

Written By: Howard on 05/14/13 at 8:06 pm

just try to be confident.  :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/14/13 at 8:48 pm

Good luck  :)

Written By: meesa on 05/15/13 at 8:31 am

It is perfectly acceptable to use as a professional reference anyone that is your leader or supervisor at a volunteer function. The concept is the same; work is work.

I am sure you will do just fine, good luck to you!  :)

Written By: warped on 05/15/13 at 4:11 pm

I've been feeling light-headed, borderline dizzy but more dopey headed during the last two weeks. In the past I have had that problem and my blood tests usually show a low amount of potassium. So I'm eating bananas again and more seafood to try and compensate for low potassium levels.

Potatoes and beans are also high in potassium but I am allergic to them.

I've been eating 1 banana a day for a week now, I am better but still light headed at times (especially when I get up quickly or turn a corner). Guess I better go to the doctor, huh.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/13 at 4:17 pm

I've been feeling light-headed, borderline dizzy but more dopey headed during the last two weeks. In the past I have had that problem and my blood tests usually show a low amount of potassium. So I'm eating bananas again and more seafood to try and compensate for low potassium levels.

I've been eating 1 banana a day for a week now, I am better but still light headed at times (especially when I get up quickly or turn a corner). Guess I better go to the doctor, huh.

Ah, yeah you should go to the doc. Please keep us informed.

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/15/13 at 5:07 pm

My mom's surgery was postponed again.  Stupid surgeon and his dumb as a rock assistants can't get their crap together.  It won't be until the 2nd week of June.  Now I have to worry even longer  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/13 at 5:25 pm

Please eat 2 bananas a day...and go to the dr.

My mom's surgery was postponed again.  Stupid surgeon and his dumb as a rock assistants can't get their crap together.  It won't be until the 2nd week of June.  Now I have to worry even longer  :\'(

That sux

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/13 at 5:30 pm

Made to AZ.  Barely....woke up a few times only to find myself drifting off the damn road. 

Damn my parents for moving this effin' state and my mother for guilt tripping me to drive out "as soon as possible and preferably really early on Wed."  Wouldn't have been much help to you if Effie and I had died now would I???  >:(

Plus I think one of those stupid CHP air crafts took a pic of me while I was awake and speeding.

I did get my MPH down from 87 to 81 (in a 70mph zone) but I'm not sure I did it soon enough.
For the record the adrenaline from speeding kept me awake. I didn't get sleepy until I started driving slower.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/13 at 5:34 pm

Made to AZ.  Barely....woke up a few times only to find myself drifting off the damn road. 

Damn my parents for moving this effin' state and my mother for guilt tripping me to drive out "as soon as possible and preferably really early on Wed."  Wouldn't have been much help to you if Effie and I had died now would I???  >:(

Plus I think one of those stupid CHP air crafts took a pic of me while I was awake and speeding.

I did get my MPH down from 87 to 81 (in a 70mph zone) but I'm not sure I did it soon enough.
For the record the adrenaline from speeding kept me awake. I didn't get sleepy until I started driving slower.

Oh man. Not good, My Friend. But, I'm glad you made it there. Take it easy driving home.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/15/13 at 6:49 pm

That sux

yeah, it does suck. Sorry to hear that.

Written By: nally on 05/15/13 at 6:54 pm

So I went to my networking meeting this morning (Contacts N Coffee)... and met three new people, including one woman who works with a staffing agency near where I live. I told her about my skills (and things like that); we exchanged business cards, and she said she'd contact me sometime this week (or next) for a possible interview. Also, she's the same age as me; I found this out when I told her about my background, saying that I graduated from high school 15 years ago. ("Me too!" was her response.) And when I got home, I emailed her a copy of my resume, which lists all of my skills and work experience.

Written By: warped on 05/15/13 at 7:05 pm

Yikes!

Not a fun experience. Hang in there, and your mom too!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/15/13 at 7:56 pm

So I went to my networking meeting this morning (Contacts N Coffee)... and met three new people, including one woman who works with a staffing agency near where I live. I told her about my skills (and things like that); we exchanged business cards, and she said she'd contact me sometime this week (or next) for a possible interview. Also, she's the same age as me; I found this out when I told her about my background, saying that I graduated from high school 15 years ago. ("Me too!" was her response.) And when I got home, I emailed her a copy of my resume, which lists all of my skills and work experience.

Maybe you will finally get a good job, good luck Jeff :)

Written By: nally on 05/15/13 at 8:02 pm

Maybe you will finally get a good job, good luck Jeff :)

Thanks Tash; I just got a message back from this person saying she'd be in touch with me this week to set something up for next week (to be determined). :)

Written By: wildcard on 05/15/13 at 9:53 pm

My matress is coming late tonight and we're getting ready to paint my room.  I may not be able to get to my computer for a while.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:14 am

have him check your blood pressure and maybe have him take your blood.

Written By: warped on 05/16/13 at 7:20 am

have him check your blood pressure and maybe have him take your blood.

Thanks Doc Howard, the doctor might just do that. I am feeling much better this morning, best in a long time. I took snoz advice and ate 20 bananas (re reads snoz's post..she said 2 bananas...not 20...do'h!)

Kidding folks, I are 2 bananas and am feeling better. I'l go to the doc on Monday.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/13 at 11:49 am

Thanks Doc Howard, the doctor might just do that. I am feeling much better this morning, best in a long time. I took snoz advice and ate 20 bananas (re reads snoz's post..she said 2 bananas...not 20...do'h!)

Kidding folks, I are 2 bananas and am feeling better. I'l go to the doc on Monday.

Dr Snoz knows what's up  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/13 at 4:52 pm

Went to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and now I am so uncomfortably full.  :P

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/16/13 at 4:59 pm

Went to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and now I am so uncomfortably full.  :P

Cat

I know the feeling; anytime I go to a buffet I feel I need to try this and that and...whatever catches my eye.

Written By: wildcard on 05/16/13 at 6:19 pm

my mattress didn't get delivered last and they called again telling my mom that their truck is down.  Maybe tomorrow.  We tried two paint samples on the wall and don't like either.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/13 at 6:24 pm

Cat

I went to one last week. I love buffets but I should not go often because......

I know the feeling; anytime I go to a buffet I feel I need to try this and that and...whatever catches my eye.

Not me!!! I try everything (except cheese and mushroom options) on the first pass and the the second and third passes are for the things I liked. The 4th pass is for a final shot at the item I lived the most

....sometimes there's more than 4 passes.

On the bright side- I almost never have desert at a buffet  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/13 at 6:59 pm

I went to one last week. I love buffets but I should not go often because......

Not me!!! I try everything (except cheese and mushroom options) on the first pass and the the second and third passes are for the things I liked. The 4th pass is for a final shot at the item I lived the most

....sometimes there's more than 4 passes.

On the bright side- I almost never have desert at a buffet  :D

They have 4 tables. First pass: table #1. Second pass: table #2. Third pass: things I like and some items from table #3 (some dessert-puddings/fruit). Never made it to table #4 which was basically desserts.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/16/13 at 7:55 pm

I think my interview went well.  I go back tomorrow for a second interview with the director.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Even if I don't get it, I got to catch up with my old boss.  She works there and is the one who told me about the job in the first place.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:56 pm

Dr Snoz knows what's up  :D

Dr Snoz I need a check up!  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:57 pm

Cat

What did you have?

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:57 pm

I eat way too much at buffets.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:58 pm

On the bright side- I almost never have desert at a buffet

but dessert is the best part of the night.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:59 pm

I think my interview went well.  I go back tomorrow for a second interview with the director.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Even if I don't get it, I got to catch up with my old boss.  She works there and is the one who told me about the job in the first place.

good luck. :)

Written By: nally on 05/16/13 at 8:01 pm

I eat way too much at buffets.

Sometimes I do too...but lately (in the past 5+ years or so) I have learned to moderate what I eat (IOW, not take too much).

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/13 at 10:10 pm

A second interview is a good sign.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/13 at 10:11 pm

Dr Snoz I need a check up!  :D

Dr Snoz just retired  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:02 am

Sometimes I do too...but lately (in the past 5+ years or so) I have learned to moderate what I eat (IOW, not take too much).

first plate I eat like a pig then 2nd plate I have little portions then 3rd plate I go for dessert and coffee.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:03 am

Dr Snoz just retired  ;D

aw shucks! ;D

Written By: nally on 05/17/13 at 9:56 am

Sure is.

Btw, I found out two weeks ago that I didn't do as well as I thought I'd done on this interview I had last month. The courthouse sent me an email indicating that my "oral score" fell just below the "required minimum" for "passing", therefore I was not selected for the position...but they didn't tell me which specific areas I didn't do so well in. Still, I am looking at this as a learning experience.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/13 at 10:46 am

Sure is.

Btw, I found out two weeks ago that I didn't do as well as I thought I'd done on this interview I had last month. The courthouse sent me an email indicating that my "oral score" fell just below the "required minimum" for "passing", therefore I was not selected for the position...but they didn't tell me which specific areas I didn't do so well in. Still, I am looking at this as a learning experience.

That's a good way to look at it.

The job I recommended would be another one.... Just sayin'

:D

Written By: karen on 05/17/13 at 11:18 am

Sure is.

Is there any way you can practice these tests (with a mark scheme afterwards) so you can improve your scoring.  Maybe something similar on-line?

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/13 at 12:40 pm

Is there any way you can practice these tests (with a mark scheme afterwards) so you can improve your scoring.  Maybe something similar on-line?

Oral interviews are hard because the scoring is subjective. Especially with panel interviews.

Written By: karen on 05/17/13 at 3:12 pm

Oral interviews are hard because the scoring is subjective. Especially with panel interviews.

I forgot it was the oral part.  nally could your dad or a friend of his ask you some typical questions so you can prep a few answers to help them flow?

Written By: karen on 05/17/13 at 3:14 pm

And on a different topic.

We've booked our Christmas holiday to the USA!  Fly in to Boston, few days in Connecticut and then somewhere for some skiing.  Boston for New Year's Eve

Do people in the US sing Auld Lang's Syne at New YEar?

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/13 at 3:35 pm

We've booked our Christmas holiday to the USA!  Fly in to Boston, few days in Connecticut and then somewhere for some skiing.  Boston for New Year's Eve

Boo!!!! I don't see la anywhere on that list!

I don't but I play the Dan fogelberg song.  ;D

Written By: karen on 05/17/13 at 3:41 pm

Boo!!!! I don't see la anywhere on that list!

Saving up for that trip!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/13 at 5:15 pm

I'm almost done with my first chapter I wrote! :.Jumps up and down:.

The reason why I didn't get it done sooner was because I spent two months going around the internet and with other writers to help me get some writing tips. But I'm starting to zoom now with my writing!!

Surprisingly my brother is really emotionally supportive, because he's too busy partying and clubbing.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/17/13 at 6:24 pm

I think this one went well.  He was very friendly.  I was there less than 10 minutes and we talked more about Atlas Shrugged than the job.  He spoke very highly of the lady that recommended me so I think that might give me an edge. 

They need to call references then they should make a decision by Wednesday.  Out of my hands now.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/17/13 at 6:28 pm

Certainly!  Do you know about New Years Eve in Boston?  it is called "First Night" and there are all kinds of small venues showing dancers and singers, ice sculptures, the arts, fire works, and a parade.  The festivities start a bit after one in the afternoon and go until midnight.  Google it.  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/17/13 at 6:35 pm

Yesterday I found a lost dog and had a heck of a time trying to find out where to take him,  had a dead battery, and today I got a call that said someone in India tried to use my credit card to buy a computer.  The dog found a home, Sig is putting a new alternator in the car, and the new credit card is being overnighted.  Whew.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/13 at 7:01 pm

Yesterday I found a lost dog and had a heck of a time trying to find out where to take him,  had a dead battery, and today I got a call that said someone in India tried to use my credit card to buy a computer.  The dog found a home, Sig is putting a new alternator in the car, and the new credit card is being overnighted.  Whew.

You're lucky!  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:37 pm

Do people in the US sing Auld Lang's Syne at New Year?

Yes they do, It's been a tradition.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:38 pm

sounds like it was a busy day.

Written By: nally on 05/17/13 at 11:22 pm

And that's exactly what I had.

Btw, I called the contact person at the courthouse today to find out which parts I scored low in...and I found out that there was one particular question (I don't remember the exact wording of it, but I think it had to do with how you would handle a certain type of customer) for which my response didn't "flow" too well. And my responses to one or two other questions were similar to that. They also noticed I seemed a bit frazzled, due to arriving a few minutes late because I initially went to the wrong building, and they said it "happens all the time", since many of their interviewees have a hard time finding the office.

Written By: nally on 05/17/13 at 11:24 pm

I think this one went well.  He was very friendly.  I was there less than 10 minutes and we talked more about Atlas Shrugged than the job.  He spoke very highly of the lady that recommended me so I think that might give me an edge. 

They need to call references then they should make a decision by Wednesday.  Out of my hands now.

Great! Wishing you the best...

Written By: karen on 05/18/13 at 3:56 am

Certainly!  Do you know about New Years Eve in Boston?  it is called "First Night" and there are all kinds of small venues showing dancers and singers, ice sculptures, the arts, fire works, and a parade.  The festivities start a bit after one in the afternoon and go until midnight.  Google it.  ;)

Sounds great.  When we lived in Connecticut most people went on about Times Square celebrations so we didn't know if there would be a big event in Boston.

Board mini-meet in Boston.  Who's up for it?

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/13 at 11:00 am

Sounds great.  When we lived in Connecticut most people went on about Times Square celebrations so we didn't know if there would be a big event in Boston.

Board mini-meet in Boston.  Who's up for it?

ME!! Erm. How long does it take to drive to Boston?  There won't be snow that time of year right???

:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 11:52 am

Come to Vermont for skiing. We can even put you guys up.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/18/13 at 12:08 pm

mom took dad to Urgent Care yesterday and he has a disease.  It's the same disease that killed his mother eventually.  Don't feel happy knowing this.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 12:45 pm

mom took dad to Urgent Care yesterday and he has a disease.  It's the same disease that killed his mother eventually.  Don't feel happy knowing this.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/13 at 12:50 pm

Sorry ti hear this ann

Written By: warped on 05/18/13 at 1:17 pm

Sorry ti hear this ann

Yeah, same here. Keep us updated.

Written By: nally on 05/18/13 at 1:17 pm

What Cat, snoz and warped said... you are in my thoughts.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/18/13 at 3:52 pm

{{{hugs}}} to you Ann

Written By: wildcard on 05/18/13 at 4:13 pm

thanks all He says He's doing better today and he's talked a little with me.  I'm not ready to loose my dad any time soon so I hope this doesn't do him in soon.  I remember not hearing mom right and she told me it was a p not an h.  It sounded like pepsi with an h.  I've had some paint samples in my room and have had a headache, so I'm am not hearing well.  I slept on my new bed okay though and got a medicene I'm probably going to start soon to help my muscle soreness.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/18/13 at 5:25 pm

I'm sorry Ann *hugs*

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/13 at 6:45 pm

thanks all He says He's doing better today and he's talked a little with me.  I'm not ready to loose my dad any time soon so I hope this doesn't do him in soon.  I remember not hearing mom right and she told me it was a p not an h.  It sounded like pepsi with an h.  I've had some paint samples in my room and have had a headache, so I'm am not hearing well.  I slept on my new bed okay though and got a medicene I'm probably going to start soon to help my muscle soreness.

Hep C? As in hepatitis c?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 6:54 pm

That's what I was thinking, too.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/18/13 at 7:01 pm

That's what I was thinking, too.

Cat

Make that 3 of us. Hepsi..Hepatitis C. Yup.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/13 at 7:52 pm

sorry to hear this Ann. :(

Written By: wildcard on 05/18/13 at 9:49 pm

Dad has been back home for a while napping on the sofa and sitting in his chair.  Hopefully he'll be okay.

Written By: nally on 05/18/13 at 9:54 pm

Dad has been back home for a while napping on the sofa and sitting in his chair.  Hopefully he'll be okay.

I hope so too. Glad he's back home for now.

Written By: karen on 05/19/13 at 9:24 am

Me too.  Hope your dad's recovery continues

Written By: wildcard on 05/19/13 at 12:59 pm

We watched a movie last night and mom took him back to have his second I V treatment.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/13 at 3:44 pm

That's good news. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/19/13 at 3:47 pm

So it seems on Tuesday I was supposed to have a day off until the front-end manager asked me this afternoon if I want to work and I said yes and I'm working 3 hours, not long but you know, I think they're desperate for cart-people lately since one cart guy retired a couple of weeks ago cause of nagging injuries. But I'll take any hours they give me, It doesn't matter to me.

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 12:52 am

Thanks Tash; I just got a message back from this person saying she'd be in touch with me this week to set something up for next week (to be determined). :)

Btw...I got an email from this person on Friday afternoon; she'll call me tomorrow (Monday) to set up a possible interview. Remember, this is for a temp agency.

Written By: warped on 05/20/13 at 11:56 am

Happy Victoria day (Holiday In Canada). "Victoria day" holiday usually falls a week before Memorial day in the U.S.A

And Happy Pentecost day (it was yesterday) for those of the Christian faith.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 12:20 pm

Meeting with our contractor today to discuss the work that needs to be done on our new old house.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/20/13 at 1:11 pm

Saturday I was Morris dancing at a well dressing festival in a nearby town.

Yesterday was mostly spent on housework.  Dai's mum and her friend are visiting next weekend so we need to get the house straight.  We've totally rearranged the spare room to get the extra bed in there (and persuaded the kids to get rid of some toys and books).

We are also still putting the finishing touches to the lounge after we painted it recently.  I hemmed the curtains for the patio doors.  we've had the curtains a while but once I'd hung them I couldn't be bothered to take them down to shorten them.  however they came down so we could paint the room so I was forced into doing them!

Dai is away for the next couple of days but I'm supposed to be working on clearing the kitchen surfaces.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 1:20 pm

Saturday I was Morris dancing at a well dressing festival in a nearby town.

Yesterday was mostly spent on housework.  Dai's mum and her friend are visiting next weekend so we need to get the house straight.  We've totally rearranged the spare room to get the extra bed in there (and persuaded the kids to get rid of some toys and books).

We are also still putting the finishing touches to the lounge after we painted it recently.  I hemmed the curtains for the patio doors.  we've had the curtains a while but once I'd hung them I couldn't be bothered to take them down to shorten them.  however they came down so we could paint the room so I was forced into doing them!

Dai is away for the next couple of days but I'm supposed to be working on clearing the kitchen surfaces.

Love to see some before & after shots of your lounge.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 3:23 pm

So I got a call from this gal at the staffing agency, and it turns out I don't need to go there for an interview, as I already interviewed with their office at a branch in another city back in January. However, there's still an online testing exam I need to take, and it's waiting for me in my email inbox.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/13 at 7:55 pm

So I got a call from this gal at the staffing agency, and it turns out I don't need to go there for an interview, as I already interviewed with their office at a branch in another city back in January. However, there's still an online testing exam I need to take, and it's waiting for me in my email inbox.

good luck :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/20/13 at 8:23 pm

They called me back for a "half day" interview.  Basically I am going in Wednesday afternoon for a couple of hours to test to see how I fit with the job.  One step closer. 

I don't want to get my hopes up to save from the disappointment, but it is hard not to.

Written By: wildcard on 05/20/13 at 9:08 pm

my dad got his third IV treatment and everything seems great.  I took my first pill for colesteral and in about 30 minutes I felt like I had needles going through the insides of my arms, legs, and hand.  My mom and I have already scheduled to see another doctor who might know more about the throbbing pains I've had.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/20/13 at 9:32 pm

Good luck everyone with what you have going on  :)

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 10:51 pm

good luck :)

Thanks; I took the online exam and got a perfect score on the multiple-choice part (which consisted of math and verbal questions; the verbal ones having to do with spelling, grammar and sorting), and then did great on the typing exam.

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/13 at 10:58 pm

They called me back for a "half day" interview.  Basically I am going in Wednesday afternoon for a couple of hours to test to see how I fit with the job.  One step closer. 

I don't want to get my hopes up to save from the disappointment, but it is hard not to.

I think that's awesome!!!!

Keep killing it Dag!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/21/13 at 1:20 am

As recently as 5-10 years ago, that was pretty scary stuff, and 20 years ago, it was basically a death sentence. Today, the older treatments of pegylated interferon alpha / ribavirin (while a very good start and still part of most regimens) have been greatly supplanted by recently-approved protease inhibitors like boceprevir (Victrelis) and telaprevir (Incivek / Incivo).  And that's just what's on the market, not what's in the pipeline of the 3-4 independent companies still working on cures for HepC.

I am not a doctor, but in 2013, Heptatitis C is a curable disease, and anyone with concerns in this area needs to stop reading this and talk to their physician about Victrelis, Incivek (and others), and how they are becoming part of the standard of care.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 6:45 am

hope you get it.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/13 at 7:25 am

Keep killing it Dag!!!

Thanks, Q.  :)

I have to admit it is kind of scary.  Changing jobs at this point in my life is a frightening prospect.  I have been with my current job for 18 years.  Comfort zone, you know.  I know it will be good if I get it, though. 
hope you get it.  :)

Thanks, Howard. :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 10:19 am

Thanks, Q.  :)

I have to admit it is kind of scary.  Changing jobs at this point in my life is a frightening prospect.  I have been with my current job for 18 years.  Comfort zone, you know.  I know it will be good if I get it, though. 
Thanks, Howard. :)

Oh I know. That two weeks I was struggling with the same issue it was so stressful. I had very good reason to leave and good reasons to stay.

I decided to stay and felt immediate relief. That told me I made the right decision...however that was in March. Something's just happened in May that made me regret my decision. We'll see how they play out but I'm sitting very comfortably right now. And I think I blew my chance to bale...  :-\\

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 10:30 am

I have an overdue dental appointment tomorrow, and I'm already dreading it. To me, visiting the dentist is the equivalent of going to prison, or maybe even worse!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 10:43 am

My fingers are crossed.

Oh I know. That two weeks I was struggling with the same issue it was so stressful. I had very good reason to leave and good reasons to stay.

I decided to stay and felt immediate relief. That told me I made the right decision...however that was in March. Something's just happened in May that made me regret my decision. We'll see how they play out but I'm sitting very comfortably right now. And I think I blew my chance to bale...  :-\\

You probably made the right decision. When you are faced with that-please don't look back at the "could have, should have, would have." You weighed all your options and you made a decision based on EVERYTHING. I'm sure some time down the road you will see that you did indeed make the right decision.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/21/13 at 10:44 am

Keep killing it Dag!!!

I agree, they called you back, they like you!. Hope it works out for the best!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 10:48 am

I have an overdue dental appointment tomorrow, and I'm already dreading it. To me, visiting the dentist is the equivalent of going to prison, or maybe even worse!

I hear ya. I REALLY hate going to the dentist because I have SUPER sensitive teeth (not to mention a TMJ problem). But, as sensitive as they are, I like having them and in order to keep them, I have to endure about an hour's worth of pain every 6 months. However, the last few times I have gone, they have a new product. They rub it on and my mouth becomes numb for about 5 minutes or so. Sort of like Novocaine without the needle. It is great. They can work on my teeth and I'm not hitting the ceiling in pain. 

Cat 

Written By: karen on 05/21/13 at 11:42 am

Good luck with that.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 11:54 am

My fingers are crossed.

You probably made the right decision. When you are faced with that-please don't look back at the "could have, should have, would have." You weighed all your options and you made a decision based on EVERYTHING. I'm sure some time down the road you will see that you did indeed make the right decision.

Cat

Naw there have been some variables I couldn't have ever factored in. I can't talk about it but its a scary time right now.

Written By: karen on 05/21/13 at 11:56 am

Naw there have been some variables I couldn't have ever factored in. I can't talk about it but its a scary time right now.

You can chat to one of us via PM you know.  Always willing to listen

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 12:14 pm

Thx  :)

Written By: warped on 05/21/13 at 12:16 pm

You can add me to that list too.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 12:18 pm

Thx

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, what they said.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/21/13 at 5:12 pm

My dad drove himself to work this morning and all seems good with him.  I picked out and bought a can of paint and will not be able to get  to this computer tomorrow. 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/13 at 6:26 pm

It gets more and more tough each day.  I had another person quit today and felt a huge chunk of guilt that I am seriously considering it, too.  I know it will leave them short handed but I gotta think of my family.  If this other job is offered there will be no questions, I will take it.  I need insurance.  I can't afford it where I am.  Plus, I have not had a raise in 2 years and it doesn't look like there will be one.  Then there is also the retirement plan.  As much as I hate to admit it I only have about 25-30 years left before I have to retire. 

Plus, one of my employees is on my last nerve.  She asked to work extra hours I told her it was okay then she didn't.  Then she texts my boss to ask if it is okay.  Her wording was "can you and Dagny let me".  Um, I was pretty clear when I said you could when we had the work, which we did. (plus, when I make the extra hours announcement to the room I tap her on the shoulder so she knows what I am saying)  He responded with "yes".  She is deaf so we chalked it up to miscommunication.  Last week she writes me a note asking again.  She gets defensive and said the boss said I could.  I told her that as long as we had the work it was fine...and we did.  She left without working extra.  Today I get a text from her asking yet again if she could work extra the boss said she could anytime.  She got another text saying it was fine as long as we had the work.  The only time I would say no would be when we don't have the work for everyone to even work their hours.  Then it just wouldn't be right to let her work extra but send everyone home.  She said she understood...we'll see if she really did.  I don't get the defensiveness.  I have only told her no once and that was when people were going home early because of no work.  I even specifically wrote her a note telling her there were extra hours available and she left at her hours and is acting like I won't allow her to work extra.  I won't miss this, I can tell you that.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/13 at 6:26 pm

Me too.  I will always be a good ear. :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 7:22 pm

It gets more and more tough each day.  I had another person quit today and felt a huge chunk of guilt that I am seriously considering it, too.  I know it will leave them short handed but I gotta think of my family.  If this other job is offered there will be no questions, I will take it.  I need insurance.  I can't afford it where I am.  Plus, I have not had a raise in 2 years and it doesn't look like there will be one.  Then there is also the retirement plan.  As much as I hate to admit it I only have about 25-30 years left before I have to retire. 

Plus, one of my employees is on my last nerve.  She asked to work extra hours I told her it was okay then she didn't.  Then she texts my boss to ask if it is okay.  Her wording was "can you and Dagny let me".  Um, I was pretty clear when I said you could when we had the work, which we did. (plus, when I make the extra hours announcement to the room I tap her on the shoulder so she knows what I am saying)  He responded with "yes".  She is deaf so we chalked it up to miscommunication.  Last week she writes me a note asking again.  She gets defensive and said the boss said I could.  I told her that as long as we had the work it was fine...and we did.  She left without working extra.  Today I get a text from her asking yet again if she could work extra the boss said she could anytime.  She got another text saying it was fine as long as we had the work.  The only time I would say no would be when we don't have the work for everyone to even work their hours.  Then it just wouldn't be right to let her work extra but send everyone home.  She said she understood...we'll see if she really did.  I don't get the defensiveness.  I have only told her no once and that was when people were going home early because of no work.  I even specifically wrote her a note telling her there were extra hours available and she left at her hours and is acting like I won't allow her to work extra.  I won't miss this, I can tell you that.

I would so send her a text or write her a note that says yes you can work extra if there's work and if you promise not to bail like you did the last two times u asked to work extra but left without working the extra hours you requested.  ;D

Get that shyt in writing lol

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 7:22 pm

Me too.  I will always be a good ear. :)

Thx

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:54 pm

I hate the dentist and I know how you feel, it's the scraping part I dread.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:55 pm

I hear ya. I REALLY hate going to the dentist because I have SUPER sensitive teeth (not to mention a TMJ problem). But, as sensitive as they are, I like having them and in order to keep them, I have to endure about an hour's worth of pain every 6 months. However, the last few times I have gone, they have a new product. They rub it on and my mouth becomes numb for about 5 minutes or so. Sort of like Novocaine without the needle. It is great. They can work on my teeth and I'm not hitting the ceiling in pain. 

Cat

I have bad gums because it's hereditary, My father has it too so I have to go to the dentist every 3 months and the periodontist every 6 months.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:56 pm

same here.  :)

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 8:03 pm

There is NOTHING that I like about going to the dentist. But hey, if they start hurting me tomorrow, I can just bite them as a form of self-defense...just kiddin'.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/13 at 8:34 pm

I would so send her a text or write her a note that says yes you can work extra if there's work and if you promise not to bail like you did the last two times u asked to work extra but left without working the extra hours you requested.  ;D

Get that shyt in writing lol

;D  I should have...that would be classic.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 8:37 pm

There is NOTHING that I like about going to the dentist. But hey, if they start hurting me tomorrow, I can just bite them as a form of self-defense...just kiddin'.

just take the pain.

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 9:11 pm

just take the pain.

Or better yet, I'll have a couple of drinks before coming in so I'll have a nice buzz and won't feel the pain!  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/13 at 12:10 am

I don't have a clue, but I felt depress yesterday. But today (Wednesday) I feel fine. I read the world horoscope and yesterday was an intense day. Maybe it was the stars?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 7:20 am

Or better yet, I'll have a couple of drinks before coming in so I'll have a nice buzz and won't feel the pain!  :D

or you could easily knock yourself out. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 7:23 am

I don't have a clue, but I felt depress yesterday. But today (Wednesday) I feel fine. I read the world horoscope and yesterday was an intense day. Maybe it was the stars?

how are you feeling now?

Written By: nally on 05/22/13 at 11:58 am

Probably the same for me.

I just went there last month and I don't need to go again until October...but I may need to find a new one, due to insurance reasons.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 3:04 pm

Probably the same for me.

I just went there last month and I don't need to go again until October...but I may need to find a new one, due to insurance reasons.

My next appointment with the periodontist is not until The Fall.

Written By: nally on 05/22/13 at 4:46 pm

My next appointment with the periodontist is not until The Fall.

The same with me. My dental appointments are usually half a year (6 months) apart; if for some reason I cannot keep an appointment, then I have to reschedule it for another day.

Of course, during the days I had braces (beginning 20 years ago this month), I had to go every month to have them adjusted. And for a teeth-cleaning procedure.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/13 at 5:39 pm

how are you feeling now?

1000% better!

Written By: warped on 05/22/13 at 5:43 pm

Dropping a note to say I'm feeling better now, no signs of being light-headed or dopey (despite how my posts read in general)
Feeling better from eating all those bananas.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/13 at 5:49 pm

Dropping a note to say I'm feeling better now, no signs of being light-headed or dopey (despite how my posts read in general)

Good to hear. I usually have a banana a day, too. I put peanut butter on it-breakfast of champions.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/22/13 at 9:15 pm

Had my third and hopefully final interview.  They keep tossing them at me.  Today was two hours long.  I spent 45 minutes typing a motion and 1 hour and 15 min transcribing part of a court case.  They want to make a decision by tomorrow.  It is definitely in their hands now.

One other positive, they paid me $30 for my time today.  Woohoo!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/22/13 at 9:22 pm

Had my third and hopefully final interview.  They keep tossing them at me.  Today was two hours long.  I spent 45 minutes typing a motion and 1 hour and 15 min transcribing part of a court case.  They want to make a decision by tomorrow.  It is definitely in their hands now.

That pays for the gas used to get to interviews  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/22/13 at 9:40 pm

Pretty much. ;D

Written By: wildcard on 05/22/13 at 11:03 pm

1 cote of paint on the walls except for the closet.

Written By: nally on 05/22/13 at 11:04 pm

I hope they make a good decision. :) Keeping fingers crossed.

Absolutely ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/13 at 7:34 am

People underestimate the importance of potassium.  It is essential for your heart.  My brother went for a check up once and his potassium level was low.  The doctor called us at a Celtics game and said to leave and pick up a high dose potassium pill or he could have a heart attack. 

Written By: warped on 05/23/13 at 7:50 am

People underestimate the importance of potassium.  It is essential for your heart.  My brother went for a check up once and his potassium level was low.  The doctor called us at a Celtics game and said to leave and pick up a high dose potassium pill or he could have a heart attack.

It's something I always have to pay attention to. Foods high in potassium such as potatoes, some beans, mushrooms and spinach, I am allergic to.  :-\\    So I need to eat such foods as bananas or salmon and once is a while I'll eat an avocado. Potassium pills are also an option.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 7:58 am

1000% better!

that's great. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 7:59 am

glad you're feeling better.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 8:00 am

that's wonderful news.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/23/13 at 10:43 am

Awesome! Fingers still crossed. 

Written By: wildcard on 05/23/13 at 11:11 am

I think I've said something about getting a new bed matris and desk chair.  I've still been sour, and over time have gone to the doctor and she gave me some cholesteral medicene.  When I first took it, it felt like needles were going through me.  The doctor said that is an unusual reaction and I could stop taking the medicene if I want.  Just this morning I had a thought that the medicene might be going right to my arteries to stop blood clots from getting bigger.  This is on my right leg and arm maybe where my stroke had paralized me for two days.  That's why I've been wondering if I have Peripheral artery disease.  I'll be seeing another doctor and sent a request for doctors that might specialize in this area.  Feels like I'm dragging a dead right leg.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/23/13 at 5:19 pm

Awesome! Fingers still crossed. 

Thanks it worked.  I got the job!  I will give more info later when not on my phone.  YAY!!!!!!

Written By: nally on 05/23/13 at 5:22 pm

Thanks it worked.  I got the job!  I will give more info later when not on my phone.  YAY!!!!!!

I'm so happy for ya. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 05/23/13 at 5:37 pm

Congrats!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/13 at 5:51 pm

YAY!!!! Doing the Happy Dance for you.

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/23/13 at 5:58 pm

Whoohoo!  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/23/13 at 7:04 pm

Thanks guys.  :)

It's going to be a big step for me.  Scary, too.  I have been in the same place for 18 years so it is a big comfort zone issue.  My first day is June 10.  The lady who will be training me is the same lady that was my Supervisor at my current job.  Gotta love it.

Written By: warped on 05/23/13 at 7:07 pm

YAY!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_381/1238183806kt4RR2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 8:11 pm

YAY! I'm happy for you.  :)

Written By: wildcard on 05/23/13 at 8:17 pm

It's going to be a big step for me.  Scary, too.  I have been in the same place for 18 years so it is a big comfort zone issue.  My first day is June 10.  The lady who will be training me is the same lady that was my Supervisor at my current job.  Gotta love it.

hopefully all will work out for you.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/23/13 at 9:06 pm

Thanks again everyone. :)

Written By: nally on 05/23/13 at 11:21 pm

That's good, that someone from your current job will also be involved in your new one. I'm sure you'll do fine, and I hope it all works out for ya. Wishing you the best. :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/13 at 10:02 am

That's good, that someone from your current job will also be involved in your new one. I'm sure you'll do fine, and I hope it all works out for ya. Wishing you the best. :)

She's not from my current job.  She left here 7 years ago.  She is the ome who recommended me to the new one.  It does make me feel better knowing someone there. 

I know it will be fine.  The way this fell into my lap tells me it is where I am supposed to be.  It will be a little more difficult and take some getting used to but I am totally up for the challenge. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/24/13 at 10:10 am

FANTASTIC!  It's great to go on to something new and challenging, and since an old co-worker brought you into the job you won't be going in cold.  That is perfect!

Written By: nally on 05/24/13 at 2:34 pm

She's not from my current job.  She left here 7 years ago.  She is the ome who recommended me to the new one.  It does make me feel better knowing someone there. 

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. :-\\ I think it was the "knowing someone there" part.

I know it will be fine.  The way this fell into my lap tells me it is where I am supposed to be.  It will be a little more difficult and take some getting used to but I am totally up for the challenge. :)

Good for you.

Written By: warped on 05/24/13 at 2:49 pm

We traveled to Stratford Ontario today and checked out a bunch of antique shops.

...and bought nothing.

But we had a nice time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/13 at 2:52 pm

We traveled to Stratford Ontario today and checked out a bunch of antique shops.

...and bought nothing.

But we had a nice time.

Ooh, antiques.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/24/13 at 2:57 pm

Ooh, antiques.

Cat

There are a few in Stratford.  This is our favorite one. http://www.stratfordantiquewarehouse.com/

My wife almost bought a nice punch bowl set and a few tiny old perfume bottles.
They have some sports cards, but terribly overpriced. I can get them for 70% less on ebay. But it's always fun to go into an antique store and hand around.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/13 at 4:34 pm

There are a few in Stratford.  This is our favorite one. http://www.stratfordantiquewarehouse.com/

My wife almost bought a nice punch bowl set and a few tiny old perfume bottles.
They have some sports cards, but terribly overpriced. I can get them for 70% less on ebay. But it's always fun to go into an antique store and hand around.

Since our antique's mall has closed (waiting for a new owner), we have lost one of our venues. But, we now have a garage. Once the house is done, we are going to open our own antique "store" in the garage. Well, we can't have a store per say but we can have garage sales-frequently.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/13 at 5:30 pm

Spring Fling tomorrow. Having our annual barbecue. The parade will go right past the house as usual. One of my best friend's just called and asked if it was cancelled because she heard that it was. We haven't. I know the weather is supposed to be kind of nasty.  :\'(  In all the years we have had the barbecue, this will be the first year we may get rained out. But, what I told my friend, even if the town cancels, people are still coming over here and we will move it inside if need be. (And we are going to give a tour of the new old house.)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/13 at 5:46 pm

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. :-\\ I think it was the "knowing someone there" part.

No biggie...it was worded a little funky. :)

Just got back from getting a background check.  Next stop, June 10!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/13 at 5:55 pm

Have you given notice yet? Doncha love when you can say, "You can take this job and shove it!"  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/13 at 7:22 pm

Have you given notice yet? Doncha love when you can say, "You can take this job and shove it!"  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Gave it about 20 minutes after I got the call.  Wanted to say that, but thought it wouldn't be a good idea. ;D  They took it pretty well.  He actually seemed kind of bummed that I was leaving.  Oh well. 

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/24/13 at 8:47 pm

...and bought nothing.

But we had a nice time.

It's fun to look at antiques  :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/24/13 at 8:48 pm

Spring Fling tomorrow. Having our annual barbecue. The parade will go right past the house as usual. One of my best friend's just called and asked if it was cancelled because she heard that it was. We haven't. I know the weather is supposed to be kind of nasty.  :\'(  In all the years we have had the barbecue, this will be the first year we may get rained out. But, what I told my friend, even if the town cancels, people are still coming over here and we will move it inside if need be. (And we are going to give a tour of the new old house.)

Cat

Rain or shine, I hope you have a nice time  :)

Written By: nally on 05/24/13 at 10:38 pm

Rain or shine, I hope you have a nice time  :)

Ditto!

Written By: Henk on 05/25/13 at 1:27 am

We had our annual office outing yesterday. It's not something I attend every year - some years, the activities they had planned just didn't appeal to me, or the date set was inconvenient. But this year I was present and had a good time.
We went to an Asian restaurant that has a bowling alley downstairs. Quite an unusual combo, but the food was great and the bowling was fun. (I'm not very good at it. I did manage to throw a few strikes, but those were usually followed by big fat zeros!  ;D And so I ended up with scores well below 100)

Written By: warped on 05/25/13 at 6:54 am

Gave it about 20 minutes after I got the call.  Wanted to say that, but thought it wouldn't be a good idea. ;D  They took it pretty well.  He actually seemed kind of bummed that I was leaving.  Oh well.

20 minutes? What took you so long?  ;D

Cat

Enjoy your outing, hope the weather cooperates and you stay outside.

We had our annual office outing yesterday. It's not something I attend every year - some years, the activities they had planned just didn't appeal to me, or the date set was inconvenient. But this year I was present and had a good time.
We went to an Asian restaurant that has a bowling alley downstairs. Quite an unusual combo, but the food was great and the bowling was fun. (I'm not very good at it. I did manage to throw a few strikes, but those were usually followed by big fat zeros!  ;D And so I ended up with scores well below 100)

Ah, you'd beat me at bowling every time. I'm lucky if every ball isn't a gutter ball.

Written By: Henk on 05/25/13 at 8:28 am

Ah, you'd beat me at bowling every time. I'm lucky if every ball isn't a gutter ball.

Finally I found my match! ;D ;)

My balls used to be all over the place too (make of that what you like... ::)) until someone pointed out to me that every bowling lane has small markers right smack in the middle to help you aim. I was suggested to focus on those, instead of on the pins at the end of the lane. It did help me...somewhat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/13 at 10:25 am

Today is a nasty cold, rainy day. The parade in the next town over was cancelled. Don't know about our parade. We heard that Spring Fling is postponed until Monday so we decided to do that for our barbecue, too. (Don't know if the parade will be postponed, also.) So, we called everyone to tell them. Unfortunately, one of our guest (family of 3) can't make it on Monday because of a birthday party they have to go to. They said that may stop over after the party.

MAN, THIS SUCKS!!! I look forward to this every year-and so far we have been pretty lucky weather-wise. I guess we were due for a lousy day.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/25/13 at 10:33 am

20 minutes? What took you so long?  ;D

Had to call my mom first.  If she wasn't the first to get the news, I probably would have been grounded or something. ;)  (plus I had to wait for him to get to work)

Written By: nally on 05/25/13 at 12:28 pm

My balls used to be all over the place too (make of that what you like... ::)) until someone pointed out to me that every bowling lane has small markers right smack in the middle to help you aim. I was suggested to focus on those, instead of on the pins at the end of the lane. It did help me...somewhat.

I used to be like that too. For the longest time I could never get a score above 100. I, too, have learned that aiming for the little arrow markings on the bowling lane helps.

I haven't bowled in a year and a half, but I enjoy it.

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/13 at 12:38 pm

I use to love bowling as a kid and don't know how long it's been since I bowled.  I got 169 once.

Written By: nally on 05/25/13 at 12:39 pm

My all-time high is only 109.

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/13 at 12:50 pm

The arrows on the floor are different for everybody depending on if the ball curves and how it is released.  I've always either released my ball between the middle and the arrow either at the left or right side to it.  I've seen people release it all the way at the right and it ends up being a strike.

Written By: warped on 05/25/13 at 1:04 pm

My balls used to be all over the place too (make of that what you like... ::))

;D

Bowling has got to be my worst sport. I could play hockey, baseball, some football, rugby, soccer, tennis, even golf. But bowling? I am terrible at it. I was given a warning once from one of the bowling managers to stop bouncing the ball on the way to the pins, I was almost asked to stop playing. I wasn't doing it on purpose..I have a bit of a bad back and hard to bend low enough to make the ball not bounce.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/13 at 1:09 pm

I was on a bowling league two years in a row. One year I got to name our team which was-The Alley Cats of course.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D  My average was about 120. But one day I was having a REALLY good day and a scored a 188. My best score EVER!!!!

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/25/13 at 1:19 pm

The arrows on the floor are different for everybody depending on if the ball curves and how it is released.  I've always either released my ball between the middle and the arrow either at the left or right side to it.  I've seen people release it all the way at the right and it ends up being a strike.

I've tried that too...but not all the way to the right. But close enough.

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/13 at 4:27 pm

I've tried that too...but not all the way to the right. But close enough.

cool I've been more of a straight thrower but you can't knock all of the pins by just hitting a pin straight on. 

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:35 pm

I woke up this morning thinking today was Sunday, I turned on the coffee pot but realized there was no coffee grinds in it cause My Mother always puts in the coffee grinds on Sundays and I just realized that today is Saturday not Sunday. Does anyone think that Saturdays feel like a Sunday? ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:37 pm

How'd it go?

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:42 pm

My highest score was a 185 with 6 strikes in a row but I retired from bowling and my bowling league altogether about 10 years ago cause I had a strained hamstring and it got painful, that was in early 2003 and also now I got bad carpal tunnel and bowling would probably irritate it now. I was a house on fire but after that I sucked.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:44 pm

Henk you have to aim for the middle arrow and try to concentrate, don't let anything distract you.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:45 pm

I haven't bowled in a year and a half, but I enjoy it.

I used to enjoy bowling but I need a new hobby.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:47 pm

My all-time high is only 109.

mine was a 185 but I almost made a 200 which would've made My father proud but I wound up with a 7/10 split and got only 1 pin so there went my 200. :(

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/13 at 4:57 pm

mine was a 185 but I almost made a 200 which would've made My father proud but I wound up with a 7/10 split and got only 1 pin so there went my 200. :(

man you suck    ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 5:52 pm

man you suck    ;)

I wasn't concentrating.

Written By: Katluver on 05/25/13 at 6:18 pm

Yikes! I was checking my Hotmail account a few days ago, and got this wedding invitation out of the blue.
I didn't recognize the email address so I thought it might be spam or sent to me in error. I opened it up anyway, and saw a long list of recipients. I scrolled down, and suddenly the surname clicked. The sender was from a relative of an older friend that I haven't corresponded in 7 years. (I've moved around, her email kept bouncing plus she's not the Facebook type)
I assumed that I got invited because my name was still in her old address book so I decided to wait for an email from her apologizing that the invitation was sent out in error. Didn't receive anything else so I had decided to give her a call from my own old address book.
Anyway, I'm the shyest person on the planet so it took me an hour to finally gather up the courage to call her. And when I dialed the number, I'll admit that I was sort of hoping that her number would be disconnected. Not only was her number still in service, but she picked up!  :o 
We talked for a few minutes and will probably chat again tomorrow. But when I hung up, I was actually shaken up. (I still am a little)
The other thing is that she was also mutual friends with another friend 10 years ago that I'm still in touch with, yet I didn't see her name on the list. I'm not sure if she never got around to getting her contact info (she wasn't exactly the most organized person from what I remember). The friend that I'm still in touch with hasn't talked to her in ages either (probably longer than me), and I've decided not to call her about it until I get some more details tomorrow. I've decided that I'll just casually mention that I'm still in touch with the other friend, and hopefully she'll invite her as well.
I know this is a long-winded story, but that was a nerve-wrecking experience!

Written By: Katluver on 05/25/13 at 7:12 pm

;D

Bowling has got to be my worst sport. I could play hockey, baseball, some football, rugby, soccer, tennis, even golf. But bowling? I am terrible at it. I was given a warning once from one of the bowling managers to stop bouncing the ball on the way to the pins, I was almost asked to stop playing. I wasn't doing it on purpose..I have a bit of a bad back and hard to bend low enough to make the ball not bounce.

lmao re: the bowling manager.
i suck at bowling as well. heck, i think i'm bad at any sport involving a ball (lol). i remember at a social function in highschool, we went out bowling. not only did the best players get prizes, but the worst bowler got one as well. guess who got a prize? me for being the worst bowler!
i haven't played in years, but i remember everyone would have a field day watching me bowl. i'd usually manage to get the ball into the gutter after just a few inches from leaving my hands. i even remember one time instead of the ball rolling down the alley, it SAILED UP into the air! i should play again for old time sakes...

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/25/13 at 7:17 pm

I'm not very good at bowling either, but it's fun ;)

Written By: Goodogbadog on 05/25/13 at 7:53 pm

What I'm doing is I keep trying to get organized and it keeps not working!  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/25/13 at 10:10 pm

How'd it go?

Like I knew it would...no criminal record. :)

Written By: wildcard on 05/25/13 at 10:12 pm

I wasn't concentrating.

you need to use force and tell the pins to fall over.

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/13 at 8:59 am

Yikes! I was checking my Hotmail account a few days ago, and got this wedding invitation out of the blue.
I didn't recognize the email address so I thought it might be spam or sent to me in error. I opened it up anyway, and saw a long list of recipients. I scrolled down, and suddenly the surname clicked. The sender was from a relative of an older friend that I haven't corresponded in 7 years. (I've moved around, her email kept bouncing plus she's not the Facebook type)
I assumed that I got invited because my name was still in her old address book so I decided to wait for an email from her apologizing that the invitation was sent out in error. Didn't receive anything else so I had decided to give her a call from my own old address book.
Anyway, I'm the shyest person on the planet so it took me an hour to finally gather up the courage to call her. And when I dialed the number, I'll admit that I was sort of hoping that her number would be disconnected. Not only was her number still in service, but she picked up!  :o 
We talked for a few minutes and will probably chat again tomorrow. But when I hung up, I was actually shaken up. (I still am a little)
The other thing is that she was also mutual friends with another friend 10 years ago that I'm still in touch with, yet I didn't see her name on the list. I'm not sure if she never got around to getting her contact info (she wasn't exactly the most organized person from what I remember). The friend that I'm still in touch with hasn't talked to her in ages either (probably longer than me), and I've decided not to call her about it until I get some more details tomorrow. I've decided that I'll just casually mention that I'm still in touch with the other friend, and hopefully she'll invite her as well.
I know this is a long-winded story, but that was a nerve-wrecking experience!

Sometimes people just send out wedding announcements to everyone in order to get more gifts.

Good idea about mentioning the mutual friend next time you talk.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 10:59 am

you need to use force and tell the pins to fall over.

Actually, there is a spot on the floor that if you step on it, the pins will fall. But, you have to find where that spot is. When I used to bowl, I was always stomping around trying to find that spot.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 05/26/13 at 11:09 am

Sometimes people just send out wedding announcements to everyone in order to get more gifts.

Good idea about mentioning the mutual friend next time you talk.

That's what I've been thinking, but I would have felt like a jerk if I ignored that invitation altogether especially when my other friend has been asking if I still talk to this person.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 1:01 pm

I haven't seen Elvira all day. I have been calling her but she doesn't answer. I don't know where she is and I'm worried.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/26/13 at 1:10 pm

I haven't seen Elvira all day. I have been calling her but she doesn't answer. I don't know where she is and I'm worried.

Cat

Has Elvira behaved this way before?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 1:14 pm

Has Elvira behaved this way before?

Yes. But she has been acting strange lately.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/26/13 at 4:02 pm

lmao re: the bowling manager.
i suck at bowling as well. heck, i think i'm bad at any sport involving a ball (lol). i remember at a social function in highschool, we went out bowling. not only did the best players get prizes, but the worst bowler got one as well. guess who got a prize? me for being the worst bowler!
i haven't played in years, but i remember everyone would have a field day watching me bowl. i'd usually manage to get the ball into the gutter after just a few inches from leaving my hands. i even remember one time instead of the ball rolling down the alley, it SAILED UP into the air! i should play again for old time sakes...

I was good 10 years ago but then I popped my hamstring and strained it, this was when I was in my bowling league.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/13 at 4:03 pm

Is it papers you're dealing with? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/26/13 at 4:04 pm

Cat

Where'd she go?  ??? :(

Written By: warped on 05/26/13 at 4:15 pm

Yes. But she has been acting strange lately.

Cat

Keep us updated and let us know when she comes back.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 4:36 pm

Where'd she go?  ??? :(

If I knew that, Howard, it would make finding her a lot easier.

Keep us updated and let us know when she comes back.

I will. The only thing I can think of is that she got out when Carlos went out this morning to get the paper. I also did laundry today-in the basement. The last several times she made her great escape, she usually sticks close to the house.

We both have gone out around the house and called for her. I have gone down into the basement and called for her. Nothing. As it gets later and later in the day, the more and more I worry about her. Carlos keeps telling me that she will come home when she gets hungry. I hope so.

And Electra has been all over me today. She knows something is up.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/26/13 at 4:46 pm

I will. The only thing I can think of is that she got out when Carlos went out this morning to get the paper. I also did laundry today-in the basement. The last several times she made her great escape, she usually sticks close to the house.

We both have gone out around the house and called for her. I have gone down into the basement and called for her. Nothing. As it gets later and later in the day, the more and more I worry about her. Carlos keeps telling me that she will come home when she gets hungry. I hope so.

Cat

Hope Elvira is OK. I'm hoping she comes back when she's hungry.
Maybe Elvira found a male cat to...umm..you know...and is spending time with him?

Written By: warped on 05/26/13 at 4:55 pm

I went to Church today and after the service I found a couple I could actually converse with (YAY). I thought we hit if off quite well... After speaking with them for a minute, turns out they were just visiting Ontario from Boston (Mass) and were here only for Memorial day weekend.

Damn, I really liked talking with them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 4:57 pm

Hope Elvira is OK. I'm hoping she comes back when she's hungry.
Maybe Elvira found a male cat to...umm..you know...and is spending time with him?

But, she is fixed.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/26/13 at 5:00 pm

Cat

OK, my theory goes...out the window then.
Don't worry. She has always come back before. She will come back again. Your hubby is probably right, she will return when she is hungry.

Written By: Katluver on 05/26/13 at 5:43 pm

Cat

Any news about Elvira?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/13 at 5:44 pm

Any news about Elvira?

Nope. I have no idea where she is.

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/26/13 at 6:34 pm

I hope Elvira comes home soon.  My cats are my kids, so if one of them tries to sneak outside I freak out.  Just the thought of losing one of them makes me sad :\'( 

Written By: Katluver on 05/26/13 at 8:00 pm

I hope Elvira comes home soon.  My cats are my kids, so if one of them tries to sneak outside I freak out.  Just the thought of losing one of them makes me sad :\'(

I don't have any cats at the moment, but I'd be worried sick if one took off without returning after a certain period of time.

Written By: wildcard on 05/26/13 at 8:22 pm

I myself am not too much of a cat fan.  It's just that so many people have cats.  I'd rather have something else for a pet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 9:18 am

After going around the neighborhood calling to Elvira, I was getting VERY worried. It was after dinner when Carlos opened the front door to call for her again. I was in the kitchen and heard something from the bedroom. I opened the door and there she was. She was in the bedroom the entire day! I went into there I don't know how many times, looked in her usual hiding spots, called to her and nothing. She has a new hiding place in there which I am going to have to locate. But, at least she is safe & sound.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 05/27/13 at 9:39 am

After going around the neighborhood calling to Elvira, I was getting VERY worried. It was after dinner when Carlos opened the front door to call for her again. I was in the kitchen and heard something from the bedroom. I opened the door and there she was. She was in the bedroom the entire day! I went into there I don't know how many times, looked in her usual hiding spots, called to her and nothing. She has a new hiding place in there which I am going to have to locate. But, at least she is safe & sound.

Cat

Glad to hear that you found her.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/27/13 at 9:52 am

Cat

Thank goodness.  And isn't that just like a cat.  She probably looked at you like "what?" ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 10:03 am

Thank goodness.  And isn't that just like a cat.  She probably looked at you like "what?" ;D

Totally!

You know what they say, "You are nobody until you have been ignored by a cat". I must be somebody because both of them ignore me all the time.

Cat

Written By: warped on 05/27/13 at 10:37 am

Cat

Happy ending.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 2:24 pm

My ecxzema (spelling?) itches!  :D :o

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 3:38 pm

cool I've been more of a straight thrower but you can't knock all of the pins by just hitting a pin straight on.

That's true. I've learned it each time I've gone out bowling.

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 3:38 pm

The same with me! I need lots of time to do it sometimes. For me it's a project that takes (literally) several days.

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 3:43 pm

I don't have any cats at the moment, but I'd be worried sick if one took off without returning after a certain period of time.

I myself am not too much of a cat fan.  It's just that so many people have cats.  I'd rather have something else for a pet.

I'm not a cat person either; in fact, I've had a few allergic reactions to cats, but I haven't had any such known reactions in half my life.  I'm more of a "dog" person..

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 3:44 pm

Cat

Oh, I'm so glad to hear she's back...and like Warped said, a happy ending. :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/27/13 at 4:14 pm

Cat

I don't have very many hiding places for mine  ;D but glad she came out  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/27/13 at 4:23 pm

Cat

I hope nothing tragic happened to her?  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/27/13 at 4:24 pm

What kind of cats do you have Tash?

Written By: Howard on 05/27/13 at 4:25 pm

Cat

great news.  :)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/27/13 at 4:41 pm

What kind of cats do you have Tash?

A Maine Coon and a Tabby

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 5:39 pm

Spring Fling-two days later. Everything was moved-all the action in the park and the parade. Unfortunately, some of our guests couldn't attend today like they could have on Saturday. And the weather was BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm glad we postponed our barbecue until today, too. Even though we didn't have too many guests, it was still a lot of fun. Sometimes just having a cozy gathering is nice. 

Oh, and we took our guests on a tour of the New Old House. One guy we didn't tell him that we bought it until we right there opening the door.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 05/27/13 at 5:57 pm

I don't know how I should feel. I think something needs to be done to separate the two events. I am no
different, I barbecued today. Too many people see the day as a party day, the start of summer and too
few reflect on what the day really means. The start of the summer season should be a party it just should
not be on this day.

Like I said, I'm no different. I worked harder today than I would on any day at work. Up at 6:00 am preparing
the smoker, making the rubs and mop. 10 hours of prep and cooking, 2 racks of ribs, 3 Porterhouse steaks,
2 T-bone steaks and 5 pork chops wiped out in less than a 1/2 hour.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 6:05 pm

I don't know how I should feel. I think something needs to be done to separate the two events. I am no
different, I barbecued today. Too many people see the day as a party day, the start of summer and too
few reflect on what the day really means. The start of the summer season should be a party it just should
not be on this day.

Like I said, I'm no different. I worked harder today than I would on any day at work. Up at 6:00 am preparing
the smoker, making the rubs and mop. 10 hours of prep and cooking, 2 racks of ribs, 3 Porterhouse steaks,

I actually feel the same way. On a day that should be somber, many people have parties & such. Normally, my little town has the festivities on the Saturday before-which is when we have our barbecue. But, the weather was so nasty on Saturday that it was done today instead. Normally, on Memorial Day, we don't really do anything-but I honor those who gave up their lives in my own private way.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 6:31 pm

My father is 70 years old and the doctor says half of his heart doesn't beat as fast as his other half. Also they X-ray-ed his lungs and there's a hole in one of his lungs.  :-\\

Pray for him please.

I know he's not exactly young, but I would like him to keep on going for at least another decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 6:35 pm

I'm not a cat person either; in fact, I've had a few allergic reactions to cats, but I haven't had any such known reactions in half my life.  I'm more of a "dog" person..

I'm a dog person because well I just am.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/27/13 at 6:42 pm

My father is 70 years old and the doctor says half of his heart doesn't beat as fast as his other half. Also they X-ray-ed his lungs and there's a hole in one of his lungs.  :-\\

Pray for him please.

I know he's not exactly young, but I would like him to keep on going for at least another decade.

I hope your dad get's better  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 7:06 pm

Cat

Is Elvira your pet?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 7:07 pm

Pray for him please.

I am sorry to hear that. Your dad will be in my thoughts.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 7:07 pm

I hope your dad get's better  :(

I hope so too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/13 at 7:12 pm

Is Elvira your pet?  ???

This is My Elvira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RooTxuhAE

And to answer your question if she is my pet-it is more like I am her staff.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5388750/il_fullxfull.131373635.jpg

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 7:15 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Your dad will be in my thoughts.

Cat

Yeah. He's a tough guy. Sometimes too rigid, but he is who he is. Love him regardless.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 7:16 pm

This is My Elvira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RooTxuhAE

And to answer your question if she is my pet-it is more like I am her staff.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5388750/il_fullxfull.131373635.jpg

Cat

:)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/13 at 7:20 pm

not be on this day.

I always saw the day AFTER as the official start of the Summer season!

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 11:31 pm

Pray for him please.

Will pray for him. I hope he can pull through as long as possible.

Written By: nally on 05/27/13 at 11:41 pm

few reflect on what the day really means.

Agree. It's a day of commemoration, honoring those who passed on while serving in the Armed Forces. Not the start of a season. And it's kinda sad that many don't realize this (at least I've noticed). :(

For others, like myself and my family, it's a day of rest and relaxation. And that's what I did pretty much all day. Nothing too strenuous.

I always saw the day AFTER as the official start of the Summer season!

But it doesn't actually start until June 20th or 21st in the northern hemisphere; it varies from year to year. (This year I think it's on the 20th in the US, late in the day.)

Some interesting info about this can be found at this site.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/13 at 1:43 am

;)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/13 at 7:33 am

not be on this day.

just like Memorial Day, people see this day as a day off to shop for sales but it really means a day to reflect.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/13 at 7:34 am

Pray for him please.

I sure will.

Written By: warped on 05/28/13 at 7:48 am

Same here, I hope he recovers and lives a very long & happy life.

Written By: Katluver on 05/28/13 at 10:06 am

Pray for him please.

He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Written By: Katluver on 05/28/13 at 10:58 am

For over two months, I've been applying for numerous jobs without any word, but I finally did get a call yesterday wanting me to do a follow-up phone call. The place that called isn't my ideal job, but at least I'm starting to hear back rather than have that frustrated feeling that I'm hitting a brick wall.

Written By: nally on 05/28/13 at 11:00 am

For over two months, I've been applying for numerous jobs without any word,

Same with me. I just keep tryin'.

... but I finally did get a call yesterday wanting me to do a follow-up phone call. The place that called isn't my ideal job, but at least I'm starting to hear back rather than have that frustrated feeling that I'm hitting a brick wall.

Well it's good that you at least got something. Even I have been applying to positions that aren't ideal for me... but I still get that feeling of frustration when I get no follow-up. :-\\

Written By: Katluver on 05/28/13 at 11:05 am

Well it's good that you at least got something. Even I have been applying to positions that aren't ideal for me... but I still get that feeling of frustration when I get no follow-up. :-\\

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers that something will SOON pop up for you.

Written By: snozberries on 05/28/13 at 11:11 am

But it doesn't actually start until June 20th or 21st in the northern hemisphere; it varies from year to year. (This year I think it's on the 20th in the US, late in the day.)

Some interesting info about this can be found at this site.

I don't think he meant the "official" start of summer....just the perceptual start of summer.... some schools are out (or almost out) for people who take classes summer starts when school is over...generally that's a week or a few weeks before the official 1st day of summer. 

Written By: nally on 05/28/13 at 11:12 am

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers that something will SOON pop up for you.

Thanks.

As I just mentioned in the "At This Exact Moment" thread, I have been networking with other people for a whole year now, but I haven't yet had any for-sure job positions result from that...even though I've managed to make friends with some of these people. This includes a woman from a staffing agency that I met two weeks ago and spoke with on the phone last week; I'm staying in touch with her. I'm also getting help from others.

Written By: nally on 05/28/13 at 11:14 am

I don't think he meant the "official" start of summer....just the perceptual start of summer.... some schools are out (or almost out) for people who take classes summer starts when school is over...generally that's a week or a few weeks before the official 1st day of summer.

I totally understand that. :) In fact, one year I took a class at Cal State Northridge during summer-session, which typically starts there on the first weekday of June and goes through July.

Written By: snozberries on 05/28/13 at 11:15 am

I know you're resistant to change but I still think the job at the UCSB library is well suited to your skills. And the position is still open.

Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Excellent interpersonal as well as written and oral communications skills
Demonstrated aptitude for accuracy and attention to detail
Facility with library catalogs and databases and familiarity with library/archives functions and operations
Quick learner and self starter
High level of computer literacy with standard office productivity software
Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/13 at 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone for their support for my father.

-80sfan-

Written By: Howard on 05/28/13 at 2:26 pm

For over two months, I've been applying for numerous jobs without any word, but I finally did get a call yesterday wanting me to do a follow-up phone call. The place that called isn't my ideal job, but at least I'm starting to hear back rather than have that frustrated feeling that I'm hitting a brick wall.

Congratulations. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/13 at 2:31 pm

at 5:04am.

Written By: amjikloviet on 05/28/13 at 3:10 pm

There is A LOT going on with me this month. Trying to focus on getting things done and doing my part in order to make things happen. So far, everything is peachy-keen but there's still so much I have to do. Loving this road I am on though!

Written By: nally on 05/28/13 at 4:20 pm

^ Good to hear! :)

I volunteered at the library again today, for the only day this week (as yesterday was a Monday holiday). In addition, I stayed past my usual departing time because another staff member was having a going-away party in the breakroom at noon. There was cake and goodies for everyone to have. So, in the almost 8 months that I've been a library volunteer, two staff members have left...and moved on to other working positions.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/13 at 4:35 pm

I can't see. Well, I can but everything is blurry. Went to the eye doc and naturally, they had to dilate my eyes-I REALLY hate that. The good news is-besides the RP, my eyes are fairly healthy. I don't have to go back for another 2 years. I figured by that time, my eyes will undilate.  :D :D :D lol.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/28/13 at 9:00 pm

Told my employees that I am leaving today.  I got to the "I'll miss you" part and started to cry a little.  No biggie.  Everyone is either happy for me or happy I am leaving. ;D

Then the big boss comes in and puts his arm around me and tells me they will miss me.  That turned on the water works.  The next two weeks should be okay emotionally but I think my last day will be hard. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/29/13 at 3:08 am

Trying to get caught up...

Warped: Glad you are feeling better.  I have a problem with potassium as well.  (One of the side effects of taking insulin) so we often have lots of bananas around... except this week when we were completely and utterly broke.  My cupboards are like Old Mother Hubbard's... bare!  :\'(

Cat:Glad Elvira was found!  Those beasties tend to worry us when they play hide and seek, don't they?  I'll ask the other cat where her sister is, but she just looks at me like it should be obvious, Mother!  ;D

Dag:Congratulations, I did something similar awhile ago (left a job I had had for 15 years.)  I was really nervous but knew it was definately time.  Best wishes.

80sfan:My thoughts are with you and your father.

I'm a lousy bowler myself.  Haven't done it for 15 years or so...  Not that I ever was really any good.  I was told to imagine the head pin is someone I'm mad at and just throw that ball as hard as I could... and that advice actually worked a few times.  Forget who I imagined the pin to be though.  lol

In other news: we've sold the house, sorta.  We showed it to two different groups of people and they passed on it because they thought it would cost too much to fix (and install a larger, second bathroom.)  Even though we are taking a loss n the value (according to the tax webpage for the county.)  We just want to be done with it and move on.  So finally our former neighbors (one of the reasons we actually decided to move in the first place) decided they wanted it.  The only catch is they want to rent to own it at $300 a month.  Won't be paid off until November 2017.  Hope we're still alive by then.  ;D  We were kinda hoping to get a lump sum but you take what you can get. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/29/13 at 7:11 am

Hope all are well!  I haven't been around in a while, so I am sorry for all that I have missed!  I hope this note finds you all well!

Written By: karen on 05/29/13 at 7:14 am

^ How will that work then?  what happens if they decide to move before the times up or if they can't make payments?  I've never heard of this arrangement being done privately.  In the UK some housing associations have low-cost housing that you buy half of and then rent to own the rest.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/13 at 7:52 am

There is A LOT going on with me this month. Trying to focus on getting things done and doing my part in order to make things happen. So far, everything is peachy-keen but there's still so much I have to do. Loving this road I am on though!

hopefully you keep focused.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/29/13 at 7:54 am

Told my employees that I am leaving today.  I got to the "I'll miss you" part and started to cry a little.  No biggie.  Everyone is either happy for me or happy I am leaving. ;D

Then the big boss comes in and puts his arm around me and tells me they will miss me.  That turned on the water works.  The next two weeks should be okay emotionally but I think my last day will be hard.

How long have you been at that company?

Written By: Howard on 05/29/13 at 7:55 am

Hope all are well!  I haven't been around in a while, so I am sorry for all that I have missed!  I hope this note finds you all well!

Hey Sami.  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 05/29/13 at 9:51 am

hopefully you keep focused.  :)

Yes, hopefully. It's quite a challenge because I have so much to do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/13 at 11:04 am

Auction tonight!  ;D ;D ;D  Unfortunately, I feel like I am coming down with something. I took an echinacea. Hopefully, that will ward off anything until tomorrow. Even though I have an appointment tomorrow, if I don't feel well, I can postpone it. But, I can't postpone tonight. There are a LOT of stuff that will make us $$$$ if we can get it for a decent price.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/29/13 at 6:09 pm

Auction tonight!  ;D ;D ;D  Unfortunately, I feel like I am coming down with something. I took an echinacea. Hopefully, that will ward off anything until tomorrow. Even though I have an appointment tomorrow, if I don't feel well, I can postpone it. But, I can't postpone tonight. There are a LOT of stuff that will make us $$$$ if we can get it for a decent price.

Cat

good luck with it all

Written By: Dagwood on 05/29/13 at 7:23 pm

How long have you been at that company?

18 years

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/29/13 at 7:32 pm

Cat

I hope it was fun.  Did you get any good stuff?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/30/13 at 1:33 am

^ How will that work then?  what happens if they decide to move before the times up or if they can't make payments?  I've never heard of this arrangement being done privately.  In the UK some housing associations have low-cost housing that you buy half of and then rent to own the rest.
In America, they have whats called a "Land Contract" basically putting on to paper whatever deal the two interested parties want to come up with.  They are some guidelines and rules, in Pennsylvania, where if they strongly suggest writing into the contract that if the renters don't pay the normal amount with 30 days, (we still keep the house in our name as I understand it) until the last payment is made then the deed is transferred.  Anyways, if the renters wanted to move or change their minds, we are obligated to give them back all monies collected (except for 25% (the percentage is different in other states) for "wear and tear of the property.)  These people (not unlike us (at a different time in our lives when our credit was too high risk to qualify for anything) would not be eligible for a bank loan, (even if you are essentially using the house as collateral).  The house is in need of alot of plumbing repairs and interior design (the wallpaper is peeling off the walls), so in essence, the valuation for county taxes doesn't match the bank assessment for a loan. There may be some banks that would mortgage it but payments would be too high for the tenents. 

James and I are just tired of dealing with it and the looming repairs, so we're just glad to have someone that wants it at all.  We had two families look at it and turn it down even for half off the property tax evaluation.  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/30/13 at 7:27 am

18 years

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/13 at 8:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8NBtPxeR1E

Now is the month of Maying,
When merry lads are playing,

Each with his bonny lass,
Upon the greeny grass,

The Spring, clad all in gladness,
Doth laugh at Winter's sadness,

And to the bagpipe's sound
The nymphs tread out their ground,

Fie then why sit we musing,
Youth's sweet delight refusing?

Say dainty nymphs and speak,
Shall we play barley break?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/13 at 10:20 am

good luck with it all

Got a lot of STUFF! Good stuff? Well, some of it is. But, I am kicking myself. There was one lot that I wanted (Barbie dolls) and I finally dropped out at about $120. There was ONE doll in particulate that I wanted. I asked the woman who won if she would be interested in selling ONE doll. She said no before she even knew what doll it was-and she said it such a nasty way. She was such a b!tch. Carlos said that I shouldn't have dropped out and out bid her because she was such a b!tch.

Oh, and Q, you are going to love that we got a Farrah doll in the box-along with a whole bunch of other dolls (Donny & Marie, Cher, Dolly Parton, Debbie Boone +) in the box for only $50.

So, now I have a lot of work to do.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/13 at 10:26 am

Got a lot of STUFF! Good stuff? Well, some of it is. But, I am kicking myself. There was one lot that I wanted (Barbie dolls) and I finally dropped out at about $120. There was ONE doll in particulate that I wanted. I asked the woman who won if she would be interested in selling ONE doll. She said no before she even knew what doll it was-and she said it such a nasty way. She was such a b!tch. Carlos said that I shouldn't have dropped out and out bid her because she was such a b!tch.

Oh, and Q, you are going to love that we got a Farrah doll in the box-along with a whole bunch of other dolls (Donny & Marie, Cher, Dolly Parton, Debbie Boone +) in the box for only $50.

So, now I have a lot of work to do.

Cat

OMG THAT's AWESOME!!! I have a donny but not a marie doll... let me know when you the dolls on Ebay I may wanna buy them from you... I have a farrah doll but that doesn't mean I can't use another!

aw hell... just tell me what you want for them now... the whole box...  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/13 at 11:03 am

Nothing real special,  I'm going to be going with my mom to the bank.  I'm thinking about taking a vacation from this thread because all I end up doing is getting upset some how in some way.  Don't ask me how or why, just don't wish to be me for even a day.

Written By: Katluver on 05/30/13 at 11:11 am

Nothing real special,  I'm going to be going with my mom to the bank.  I'm thinking about taking a vacation from this thread because all I end up doing is getting upset some how in some way.  Don't ask me how or why, just don't wish to be me for even a day.

I'll miss you!

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/13 at 7:08 pm

glad to hear someone would.  I may decide to hang around, but only in certain areas in this thread.  I don't always comment much to other people, but when I think I can follow what is being said, I try to post something,  I don't always get a responce.  It doesn't help my depression when I feel left out. I know I  don't want to force people to respond to me or anything, I'm just messed up with my brain tumor and stuff.  I just feel like I cant get myself under control and fit in anywhere right now.  I've got a couple of people playing in the questions only thread I started and I might just spend my time there.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/13 at 8:06 pm

take as long as you like to clear your mind. come back when you're good and ready.

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/13 at 11:22 pm

take as long as you like to clear your mind. come back when you're good and ready.

thanks Howard

I think though I am going to hang around my one questions only thread.  I just cant seem to understand anything and cant make myself a more interesting person or whatever.  If I just cancel my account then I wont have my questions only thread.  I need all the places I can stay positive I can find.  I know there's people that care around here, it's just I seem to live with more depression and or whatever that I don't know what to do.  I'm not trying to blame anyone for anything here.  I just seem beyond help and perhaps it would be better for me to eventually leave.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/13 at 10:26 am

glad to hear someone would.  I may decide to hang around, but only in certain areas in this thread.  I don't always comment much to other people, but when I think I can follow what is being said, I try to post something,  I don't always get a responce.  It doesn't help my depression when I feel left out. I know I  don't want to force people to respond to me or anything, I'm just messed up with my brain tumor and stuff.  I just feel like I cant get myself under control and fit in anywhere right now.  I've got a couple of people playing in the questions only thread I started and I might just spend my time there.

I want you to know that I do read your posts. I don't always comment. I don't always comment on a lot of posts. You are very much a part of our little family here. If you left, you will be missed. I hope you decide to stick around.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/31/13 at 11:24 am

I want you to know that I do read your posts. I don't always comment. I don't always comment on a lot of posts. You are very much a part of our little family here. If you left, you will be missed. I hope you decide to stick around.

Cat

I'm sure people do read and care it's just like I've been saying, when your fighting so much depression every day of your live and you're head is messed up with the brain tumor, it's beyond hard.  I already know that deleting my account is not the answer so I'm not doing that.  I just might at some point of time need to stop and clear my head like Howard said.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/13 at 8:07 pm

Cat

I feel the same way.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/31/13 at 9:16 pm

May is about over... It's already going to be June!!!!  :o

Written By: nally on 05/31/13 at 11:03 pm

Cat

Agreed with this statement here. Ann has been a great person to have on this site. :)

I don't comment on a lot of posts either; only if I have something to say.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/13 at 7:22 am

May is about over... It's already going to be June!!!!  :o

It already is. ;)

Written By: Goodogbadog on 06/04/13 at 11:56 pm

Is it papers you're dealing with? ???

Thanks Howard! Yes, there are a lot of papers. And other possessions. Hobby things. Clothes. Notebooks I'm writing in. Priorities. Things to do first, and last, and why do some things not get done at all. When to do errands. Keep track of appointments. Spend too much time working outside. Or not enough time. That's the same with everything. If I do it at all, I did it for too long. Or not long enough. What to read, how not to read for too long, or not long enough. When to learn how to do the new things I have to learn how to do. If you are confused by now, now you know how I feel!!  :D :D :D

Check for new replies or respond here...