inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV licence dodgers' excuses revealed: Funniest 12 reasons given for not paying

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/13 at 2:39 am

Around 400,000 TV-owning households dodged buying a licence last year – with one homeowner claiming their son of three should pay for it because only he watched it.

TV Licensing has released its favourite excuses for not paying up, which included: “Why would I need a licence for a TV I stole? Nobody knows I’ve got it.”

One person even produced a document ripped in half as evidence to prove that they shared their licence with their next-door neighbour.

And an animal lover told officials: “The only way I can afford to pay is if I sell my hamster. Is that what you want me to do?”

A colour TV licence costs £145.50 per year and TV Licensing said: “Some of the excuses are hilarious but being caught without a valid licence is a criminal offence and no laughing matter.”

Top 12 excuses

1. Why would I need a TV Licence for a TV I stole? Nobody knows I’ve got it.

2. I have lost weight recently and had to buy new clothes. That’s why I could not afford to buy a TV Licence.

3. I had not paid as I received a lethal injection.

4. Apparently my dog, which is a corgi, was related to the Queen’s dog so I didn’t think I needed a TV Licence.

5. I don’t want to pay for a licence for a full year. Knowing my luck I’ll be dead in six months and won’t get value for money.

6. I could not pay for my TV Licence because the Olympic torch was coming down my road and I could not get to the shop as the road was too busy.

7. I only use my TV as a lamp. If you switch it on it gives a good glow which allows me to read my book.

8. The only way I can afford to pay for my TV Licence is if I sell my hamster, is that what you want me to do?

9. Only my three year old son watches the TV. Can you take it out of the family allowance I receive for him? He watches it so he should pay.

10. I spend so much time at my neighbour’s house, we thought we would just share a TV Licence. My neighbour has the other half.

11. I could not pay as I only have two pairs of pants and they were both in the wash.

12. I got caught shoplifting so I’m barred from the shop that takes PayPoint payment

Full report.

Subject: Re: TV licence dodgers' excuses revealed: Funniest 12 reasons given for not paying

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/13 at 9:37 am

Um, what is a TV license?  Never heard that term

Subject: Re: TV licence dodgers' excuses revealed: Funniest 12 reasons given for not paying

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/13 at 9:40 am

Um, what is a TV license?  Never heard that term
In the UK a television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). A licence is not required, however, if you use your television only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV.

The current licence costs £145.50 (€174.99) for a colour licence and £49.00 (€58.89) for monochrome. Discounted, free or government-paid licences are available to viewers over 75, blind people and those in residential care. One licence covers multiple receivers in a 'household', with separately rented or leased rooms and apartments being considered as individual households. The cost is set annually by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport with the BBC responsible for collecting payment. As it is classified in law as a tax, evasion is a criminal offence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/13 at 11:21 am

I didn't realize they were still licensing television sets in the UK. 

The license is a tax to pay for, what, the BBC?  If you can have a TV to watch DVDs and not pay the fee, how do they enforce it?
???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/20/13 at 1:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maz9ddxEQnM

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/13 at 2:28 pm

I didn't realize they were still licensing television sets in the UK. 

The license is a tax to pay for, what, the BBC?  If you can have a TV to watch DVDs and not pay the fee, how do they enforce it?
???
If the TV has an aerial (or connected to a box) a TV Licence has to be brought.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/21/13 at 9:49 am

How would they know if you had an indoor rabbit ear antenna?

Written By: karen on 06/21/13 at 11:23 am

Fairly sure they don't work in the UK anymore.  You certainly don't see them on tv sets.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/13 at 9:50 pm

But my question is what exactly does the TV license fund?
???

Written By: karen on 06/23/13 at 2:43 am

All the channels broadcast by the BBC are funded by the licence fee.  That is 6 different tv channels. Plus all the radio stations.

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/13 at 3:22 am

All the channels broadcast by the BBC are funded by the licence fee.  That is 6 different tv channels. Plus all the radio stations.

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

That sounds better than interminable blocks of mind-numbing commercials!  Is it?
???

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/13 at 5:18 am

Way back when, 1974, I was in England and I was surprised when I was told that you had to pay for television, and there was a van that road around that could detect television transmissions in your home so they knew if you watching a television that you weren't licensed to watch.  It was so Orwellian. I mentioned that in the States you just bought the television, brought it home and plugged it in.  On the other hand when I was feeling ill and someone suggested I see a doctor I said I really couldn't afford a doctor, they tried to explain that I wouldn't have to pay, it took them a while to convince me that you could be sick, see a doctor, and not have to worry about payment.  When I explained healthcare in the States they looked at me like I was nuts, it was so Orwellian.........

Written By: Henk on 06/24/13 at 7:11 am

We used to have a licence fee here too - up to January 1, 2000, to be exact. It was used to partly finance our elaborate and rather complicated public broadcasting system (that was also paid for by non obligatory subscriptions).
The non obligatory subscriptions are still being paid, but there's less and less subscribers. That's why there's currently talk of reinstalling the licence fee.

I'm not totally against the idea, although I fear this won't lead to a decrease of income tax rates... (The income tax rate was increased by 1.1% on January 1, 2000, as to compensate for the licence fee  ::))

Written By: Henk on 06/24/13 at 8:40 am

That sounds better than interminable blocks of mind-numbing commercials!  Is it?
???

It is, at least IMHO. I prefer my commercial breaks inbetween programs/movies I like to watch, thank you very much - even though I realize commercials would probably bring in more money compared to the licence fees and suscription fees combined.
That said, commercial breaks are already creeping up in public broadcasting system too: until fairly recent (1991), we didn't have any commercials on Sundays, or inbetween programs (late 1980s), even!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/13 at 11:33 am

Over here people would be appalled at a license for television.  On the other hand they don't have a problem paying over a thousand a year for cable television, commercials and all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/13 at 11:25 pm

Way back when, 1974, I was in England and I was surprised when I was told that you had to pay for television, and there was a van that road around that could detect television transmissions in your home so they knew if you watching a television that you weren't licensed to watch.  It was so Orwellian. I mentioned that in the States you just bought the television, brought it home and plugged it in.  On the other hand when I was feeling ill and someone suggested I see a doctor I said I really couldn't afford a doctor, they tried to explain that I wouldn't have to pay, it took them a while to convince me that you could be sick, see a doctor, and not have to worry about payment.  When I explained healthcare in the States they looked at me like I was nuts, it was so Orwellian.........

It makes a little more sense out of the Fish License sketch in re: The man from the cat detector van of the Ministry of Housinge --

Man You don't need a license for a cat.
Praline I bleeding well do and I got one. Ho, ho, you're not catching me out there.
Man There's no such thing as a bloody cat license.
Praline Yes there is!
Man No there isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline What's that then?
Man This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and the word 'cat' written in in crayon.
Praline The man didn't have the proper form.
Man What man?
Praline The man from the cat detector van.
Man Loony detector van, you mean.
Praline It's people like you what cause unrest.
Man All right, what cat detector van?
Praline The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge.
Man Housinge?
Praline It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant!. I never seen so many bleeding aerials. The man said that their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards...and Eric, being such a happy cat, was a piece of cake.
Man How much did you pay for this?
Praline Sixty quid, and eight guineas for the fruit bat.
Man What fruit bat?
Praline Eric the fruit-bat.
Man Are all your pets called Eric?
Praline There's nothing so odd about that: Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie, all called Abdul!
Man No he didn't!
Praline (takes book from pocket) He did, he did, he did, he did and did. There you are. 'Kemal Ataturk, the Man' by E. W. Swanton with a foreword by Paul Anka, page 91, please.
Man (referring to page 91) I owe you an apology, sir.
Praline Spoken like a gentleman, sir. Now, are you going to give me a fish license?
Man I promise you that there is no such thing. You don't need one.

Written By: karen on 07/09/13 at 11:42 am

At the time that sketch was written you needed to have a dog licence.  I can't recall what they cost but it was something piddling like 37 pence!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/13 at 11:44 am

At the time that sketch was written you needed to have a dog licence.  I can't recall what they cost but it was something piddling like 37 pence!
I seem to remember the dog licence was 7/6, you are correct

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/13 at 5:57 pm

I seem to remember the dog licence was 7/6, you are correct

You still need a dog license in most parts of the U.S. along with certification of rabies vaccine.  I'm in favor of the rabies vaccine.  We haven't had a verified rabid dog in Massachusetts for sixty years.  In a lot of places you can get significant fee reduction if your dog is neutered.  No need to bring in the dog, just the form from the vet. 

I've heard tell that there are areas of California and Maryland where you, in fact, do need a cat license. 

You need a dog license on the Isle of Man, so do you need a man license on the Isle of Dogs?
???

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/10/13 at 10:47 pm

:D
You still need a dog license in most parts of the U.S. along with certification of rabies vaccine.  I'm in favor of the rabies vaccine.  We haven't had a verified rabid dog in Massachusetts for sixty years.  In a lot of places you can get significant fee reduction if your dog is neutered.  No need to bring in the dog, just the form from the vet. 

I've heard tell that there are areas of California and Maryland where you, in fact, do need a cat license. 

You need a dog license on the Isle of Man, so do you need a man license on the Isle of Dogs?
???

I hadn't even gotten to the "man license" when I had been jolted by what I almost read. almost thought I read. read something I almost thought… But… it wasn't. 

In "No need to bring in the dog, just the form from the vet." 

Can you guess what my mind supplied when I had read up to "just?"  No need to bring in the dog, just…" 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/10/13 at 11:07 pm

It makes a little more sense out of the Fish License sketch in re: The man from the cat detector van of the Ministry of Housinge --

Man You don't need a license for a cat.
Praline I bleeding well do and I got one. Ho, ho, you're not catching me out there.
Man There's no such thing as a bloody cat license.
Praline Yes there is!
Man No there isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline Is!
Man Isn't!
Praline What's that then?
Man This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and the word 'cat' written in in crayon.
Praline The man didn't have the proper form.
Man What man?
Praline The man from the cat detector van.
Man Loony detector van, you mean.
Praline It's people like you what cause unrest.
Man All right, what cat detector van?
Praline The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge.
Man Housinge?
Praline It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant!. I never seen so many bleeding aerials. The man said that their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards...and Eric, being such a happy cat, was a piece of cake.
Man How much did you pay for this?
Praline Sixty quid, and eight guineas for the fruit bat.
Man What fruit bat?
Praline Eric the fruit-bat.
Man Are all your pets called Eric?
Praline There's nothing so odd about that: Kemal Ataturk had an entire menagerie, all called Abdul!
Man No he didn't!
Praline (takes book from pocket) He did, he did, he did, he did and did. There you are. 'Kemal Ataturk, the Man' by E. W. Swanton with a foreword by Paul Anka, page 91, please.
Man (referring to page 91) I owe you an apology, sir.
Praline Spoken like a gentleman, sir. Now, are you going to give me a fish license?
Man I promise you that there is no such thing. You don't need one.

Praline: To re-emphasize one particular point— Sir Gerald de Gaudi had a pet clam called "Simon." Marchioness Dawn Meddlethorp-Twaddell, the lady show-jumper, had two pikes, both called "Chris" and Marcel Proust had an 'addock. So if you're calling the author of "A La Recherche de Temps Perdue," a "looney," I shall have to ask you to step outside!  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/13 at 9:28 am

Praline: To re-emphasize one particular point— Sir Gerald de Gaudi had a pet clam called "Simon." Marchioness Dawn Meddlethorp-Twaddell, the lady show-jumper, had two pikes, both called "Chris" and Marcel Proust had an 'addock. So if you're calling the author of "A La Recherche de Temps Perdue," a "looney," I shall have to ask you to step outside!  ::)

All right, all right, all right.  I license.
Yes.
For a fish.
Yes.
You are a loony!

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/11/13 at 10:18 pm

All right, all right, all right.  I license.
Yes.
For a fish.
Yes.
You are a loony!

I AM NOT A LOONEY! WHY should I be....(going around again…)  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/13 at 7:36 pm

I AM NOT A LOONEY! WHY should I be....(going around again…)  :D

Look, it's people like you wot cause unrest!

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/12/13 at 9:54 pm

Look, it's people like you wot cause unrest!

Wot this country needs is a bit more unrest. (did I just see a drawing of a clenched fist?)
But first: Are…you…going…to…give…me…a…fishlicense?  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/13 at 8:16 pm

Wot this country needs is a bit more unrest. (did I just see a drawing of a clenched fist?)
But first: Are…you…going…to…give…me…a…fishlicense?  :D

I promise you, there is no such thing as a fish license.  You don't need one.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/13/13 at 8:31 pm

I promise you, there is no such thing as a fish license.  You don't need one.

Well…………………… I've got a license for my pet dog Eric and I've got a license for my pet CAT Eric. SO OF COURSE I NEED A FISH LICENSE.  >:(  Now, how much do I owe you?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/13 at 7:49 pm

Well…………………… I've got a license for my pet dog Eric and I've got a license for my pet CAT Eric. SO OF COURSE I NEED A FISH LICENSE.  >:(  Now, how much do I owe you?

Then give me a bee license...

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/16/13 at 12:38 pm

Then give me a bee license...

Who are you? Don't cut in front of me, I was here first. This bloke will not let me buy a fish license, and I'm about to bash in his disrespectful mouth. (no such thing…)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/13 at 9:33 pm

Who are you? Don't cut in front of me, I was here first. This bloke will not let me buy a fish license, and I'm about to bash in his disrespectful mouth. (no such thing…)

For your pet bee, Eric, Eric the bee...?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/13 at 2:45 am

Oh, oh, oh! My, my, terribly sorry.  :o  Thought you wanted one for your pet bee called "Eric the Bee."  Yes, yes, thank you, thank you, I do need a license for my little bee - 'owever, my little bee is not called "Eric the Bee."  8)

Nope.
No?
Eric the-Half-a-Bee.  He had an accident.
Oh, you're off your chump!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/13 at 10:31 pm

You were supposed to just say "No?"  You stole my line! You bandy-legged, toffee nosed, malodorous pervert!!

I came here for an argument!
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/13 at 9:26 pm

Oh, no you… Oh…  sorry… did you want to order just one argument?  Or were you thinking of taking a course?  ???

Is this the right room for an argument?
I told you once.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/20/13 at 12:24 pm

Is this the right room for an argument?
I told you once.

!!  No you haven't! !!!  :o

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 6:16 am

Around 400,000 TV-owning households dodged buying a licence last year – with one homeowner claiming their son of three should pay for it because only he watched it.

TV Licensing has released its favourite excuses for not paying up, which included: “Why would I need a licence for a TV I stole? Nobody knows I’ve got it.”

One person even produced a document ripped in half as evidence to prove that they shared their licence with their next-door neighbour.

And an animal lover told officials: “The only way I can afford to pay is if I sell my hamster. Is that what you want me to do?”

A colour TV licence costs £145.50 per year and TV Licensing said: “Some of the excuses are hilarious but being caught without a valid licence is a criminal offence and no laughing matter.”

Top 12 excuses

1. Why would I need a TV Licence for a TV I stole? Nobody knows I’ve got it.

2. I have lost weight recently and had to buy new clothes. That’s why I could not afford to buy a TV Licence.

3. I had not paid as I received a lethal injection.

4. Apparently my dog, which is a corgi, was related to the Queen’s dog so I didn’t think I needed a TV Licence.

5. I don’t want to pay for a licence for a full year. Knowing my luck I’ll be dead in six months and won’t get value for money.

6. I could not pay for my TV Licence because the Olympic torch was coming down my road and I could not get to the shop as the road was too busy.

7. I only use my TV as a lamp. If you switch it on it gives a good glow which allows me to read my book.

8. The only way I can afford to pay for my TV Licence is if I sell my hamster, is that what you want me to do?

9. Only my three year old son watches the TV. Can you take it out of the family allowance I receive for him? He watches it so he should pay.

10. I spend so much time at my neighbour’s house, we thought we would just share a TV Licence. My neighbour has the other half.

11. I could not pay as I only have two pairs of pants and they were both in the wash.

12. I got caught shoplifting so I’m barred from the shop that takes PayPoint payment

Full report.

Okay Phil I was talking about this in FB and Karen told me to come look at this thread because I've been reading The Lincolnshire Echo (ancestors come from around Edenham) and I was looking at the police beat and I couldn't believe you need a license for color tv, this seems so 1950's to me. Why do they request you have one? for money?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/13 at 6:20 am

Okay Phil I was talking about this in FB and Karen told me to come look at this thread because I've been reading The Lincolnshire Echo (ancestors come from around Edenham) and I was looking at the police beat and I couldn't believe you need a license for color tv, this seems so 1950's to me. Why do they request you have one? for money?
A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). A licence is not required, however, if a television is only used to watch DVDs or play video games, or programmes are watched via catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer or 4oD on a computer after they have been shown on TV.

The licence fee is used almost entirely to fund the BBC's domestic radio, television and internet services. The money received from the fee represents approximately 75% of the cost of these services with most of the remainder coming from the profits of BBC Worldwide — a commercial wing of the corporation which sells programmes and runs stations overseas (such as BBC World News), as well as other business allied to broadcasting such as publishing. The BBC also receives some funding from the Scottish Government via MG Alba to finance the BBC Alba television service in Scotland. The BBC also receives a direct government grant from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to fund television and radio services broadcast to other countries such as the BBC World Service radio and BBC Arabic Television. These services run on a non-profit, non-commercial basis distinct from other BBC 'branded' overseas services provided by the commercial BBC Worldwide. Hence, neither the World Service nor the commercial BBC services receive any UK licence money. The BBC's web sites are popular outside the UK but these carry advertising when seen outside the UK. Advertising is not seen on the BBC web sites when viewed from within the UK. Advertising is seen however on BBC web sites created by the BBC Worldwide company, regardless of where they are viewed; the BBC web site clarifies (at the foot of the page) the funding source.

The BBC is not the only public service broadcaster. Channel 4 is also a public television service but is funded through advertising and Government grants. The Welsh language S4C in Wales is funded through a combination of direct grant from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, advertising and receives some of its programming free of charge by the BBC (see above). These other broadcasters are all much smaller than the BBC.

In addition to the public broadcasters, the UK has a wide range of commercial television funded by a mixture of advertising and subscription. A television licence is still required by viewers who solely watch such commercial channels, although more than 80% of the population watches BBC1 in any given week (with 95% of the population watching television), making it the most popular channel in the country.

The current licence costs £145.50 (€174.99) for a colour licence and £49.00 (€58.89) for monochrome. Discounted, free or government-paid licences are available to viewers over 75, blind people and those in residential care. One licence covers multiple receivers in a 'household', with separately rented or leased rooms and apartments being considered as individual households. The cost is set annually by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport with the BBC responsible for collecting payment. As it is classified in law as a tax, evasion is a criminal offence. A small portion of the licence fee is used by the BBC to enforce payment, as well as funding Digital UK, a body established to assist in the process of digital switchover and a direct payment to Channel 4, to assist in its digital switchover.

A similar licence, mandated by the 1904 Wireless Telegraphy Act, existed for radio, but was abolished in 1971.

...in other words, to fund the BBC!

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 6:31 am

A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched as they are broadcast, irrespective of the signal method (terrestrial, satellite, cable or the Internet). A licence is not required, however, if a television is only used to watch DVDs or play video games, or programmes are watched via catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer or 4oD on a computer after they have been shown on TV.

The licence fee is used almost entirely to fund the BBC's domestic radio, television and internet services. The money received from the fee represents approximately 75% of the cost of these services with most of the remainder coming from the profits of BBC Worldwide — a commercial wing of the corporation which sells programmes and runs stations overseas (such as BBC World News), as well as other business allied to broadcasting such as publishing. The BBC also receives some funding from the Scottish Government via MG Alba to finance the BBC Alba television service in Scotland. The BBC also receives a direct government grant from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to fund television and radio services broadcast to other countries such as the BBC World Service radio and BBC Arabic Television. These services run on a non-profit, non-commercial basis distinct from other BBC 'branded' overseas services provided by the commercial BBC Worldwide. Hence, neither the World Service nor the commercial BBC services receive any UK licence money. The BBC's web sites are popular outside the UK but these carry advertising when seen outside the UK. Advertising is not seen on the BBC web sites when viewed from within the UK. Advertising is seen however on BBC web sites created by the BBC Worldwide company, regardless of where they are viewed; the BBC web site clarifies (at the foot of the page) the funding source.

The BBC is not the only public service broadcaster. Channel 4 is also a public television service but is funded through advertising and Government grants. The Welsh language S4C in Wales is funded through a combination of direct grant from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, advertising and receives some of its programming free of charge by the BBC (see above). These other broadcasters are all much smaller than the BBC.

In addition to the public broadcasters, the UK has a wide range of commercial television funded by a mixture of advertising and subscription. A television licence is still required by viewers who solely watch such commercial channels, although more than 80% of the population watches BBC1 in any given week (with 95% of the population watching television), making it the most popular channel in the country.

The current licence costs £145.50 (€174.99) for a colour licence and £49.00 (€58.89) for monochrome. Discounted, free or government-paid licences are available to viewers over 75, blind people and those in residential care. One licence covers multiple receivers in a 'household', with separately rented or leased rooms and apartments being considered as individual households. The cost is set annually by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport with the BBC responsible for collecting payment. As it is classified in law as a tax, evasion is a criminal offence. A small portion of the licence fee is used by the BBC to enforce payment, as well as funding Digital UK, a body established to assist in the process of digital switchover and a direct payment to Channel 4, to assist in its digital switchover.

A similar licence, mandated by the 1904 Wireless Telegraphy Act, existed for radio, but was abolished in 1971.

...in other words, to fund the BBC!

Wow you would think the BBC could find other ways to get funded, it just seems there should be a better way for people to watch tv without paying. Discounts for the blind that's interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/13 at 6:38 am

Wow you would think the BBC could find other ways to get funded, it just seems there should be a better way for people to watch tv without paying. Discounts for the blind that's interesting.
Adverstising (or product placement) is not allowed, and the over 75's get a free TV Licence.

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 7:01 am

Adverstising (or product placement) is not allowed, and the over 75's get a free TV Licence.

I guess it's almost the same as us paying for cable or satellite tv, I just see why you have to pay for colored tv.

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 7:16 am

Advertising is what pays for most tv over here, it's a very big thing especially during the Super Bowl.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/13 at 1:10 pm

Advertising is what pays for most tv over here, it's a very big thing especially during the Super Bowl.

I think television advertising is bad for the head.  I wouldn't mind paying a license fee to get rid of TV adverts.  Then we could have that 50% of the time back for programming.  Of course, Americans don't just put up with advertising, they want it and love it.  It is irretrievably intertwined with the American psyche.  It is communist to say anything bad about advertising.  If you don't have any money and you can't afford all those advertised products, such as luxury SUVs and frequent flier miles, then you deserve to feel like crap because you are a financial failure, thus an abomination to the the Money God.

We do have public television in the U.S., but it's not public anymore.  It is clogged with messages from it's corporate sponsors ever half hour and every quarter PBS stations run those nauseating fund drives.  The fund drives are the equivalent of a man pointing a gun at his own head and making demands!
:o

Written By: ninny on 07/29/13 at 1:46 pm

I think television advertising is bad for the head.  I wouldn't mind paying a license fee to get rid of TV adverts.  Then we could have that 50% of the time back for programming.  Of course, Americans don't just put up with advertising, they want it and love it.  It is irretrievably intertwined with the American psyche.  It is communist to say anything bad about advertising.  If you don't have any money and you can't afford all those advertised products, such as luxury SUVs and frequent flier miles, then you deserve to feel like crap because you are a financial failure, thus an abomination to the the Money God.

We do have public television in the U.S., but it's not public anymore.  It is clogged with messages from it's corporate sponsors ever half hour and every quarter PBS stations run those nauseating fund drives.  The fund drives are the equivalent of a man pointing a gun at his own head and making demands!
:o

Oh I agree I could do with less ads or none at all, but then the cable/satellite prices will be jacked sky high and everyone would be 

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/markus69_bucket/confused.gif

confused in what to buy without them shoving it in our faces ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 1:52 pm

Those guys have to make money too, It's quite annoying.

Written By: karen on 07/29/13 at 2:17 pm

No adverts is definitely worth it.  Plus its not that expensive, around £12 a month

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/13 at 8:48 pm

Oh I agree I could do with less ads or none at all, but then the cable/satellite prices will be jacked sky high and everyone would be 

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/markus69_bucket/confused.gif

confused in what to buy without them shoving it in our faces ;D

Funny thing is the U.S. has worse service AND higher rates for cable/Internet than most other countries!  We would be enraged if the government required us to have a TV license, but the truth is our telecom is dominated by a few corporate monopolies and we just say, "Oh well, that's the free market!"

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...