inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roku vs. Apple TV??? Anyone have any experience???

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/13/13 at 1:28 pm

As Christmas is approaching and thinking of downsizing bills, we have a better internet provider for less money.  Thinking of getting rid of satellite service and going the way of roku or Apple TV???  Anyone with any experience, pros vs cons etc.... 

Subject: Re: Roku vs. Apple TV??? Anyone have any experience???

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/13 at 10:11 pm

I haven't had time to play with either... I have friends who have both... they seem to like them.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/13 at 10:13 pm

this is a good article to check out

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57320715-221/apple-tv-vs-roku-which-streaming-box-should-you-buy/

as much as an applephile that I am I think the Roku 3 sounds slightly better... .

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/14/13 at 7:50 pm

this is a good article to check out

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57320715-221/apple-tv-vs-roku-which-streaming-box-should-you-buy/

as much as an applephile that I am I think the Roku 3 sounds slightly better... .
yes I read that article yesterday!  That is my opinion as well.  Not sure which I will purchase though...  I seem to like the little apple symbol, I think an apple a day keeps the dr. Away :). Perhaps my daily allowance of fruit!  Lol

Written By: snozberries on 11/14/13 at 8:05 pm

yes I read that article yesterday!  That is my opinion as well.  Not sure which I will purchase though...  I seem to like the little apple symbol, I think an apple a day keeps the dr. Away :) . Perhaps my daily allowance of fruit!  Lol

Ha ha!!! The only reason I think the Roku is better is because of the Amazon thing. I watch a lot of stuff on Amazon PRime...

also- re hulu, I don't know if the same goes for Apple TV but a lot of times I want to watch something via hulu plus on my ipad or my PS3 and I get told that the item is not available for streaming... it's via computer only... that kinda sux  >:(

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/14/13 at 10:07 pm

Ha ha!!! The only reason I think the Roku is better is because of the Amazon thing. I watch a lot of stuff on Amazon PRime...

also- re hulu, I don't know if the same goes for Apple TV but a lot of times I want to watch something via hulu plus on my ipad or my PS3 and I get told that the item is not available for streaming... it's via computer only... that kinda sux  >:(
that does suck!  I know my brother in law has roku, actually the first I heard of it.  I will have to check it out.  Apple TV is adding more things to their line up - but really the cable subscription now I wouldn't be getting anyhow! 

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/19/14 at 7:21 pm

We bought a roku3 last weekend!  Have had it for 4 days and I love it!!!!  $94 initial investment and now 7.99 a month each for huluplus and netflix and I have every tv show from past to present that I could possibly dream of!!!!  I get to get caught up on shows we no longer have due to programming changes or ones I do not have anymore (I.e. Dexter). I rarely keep upto date on tv anyway, always taping things I want to watch and watching them as I have time...  Or re runs! 

So I am loving the ease convenience and saving $90 a month!!!! 

I have not had issues with Hulu plus content being not available! 

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/14 at 2:11 am

We bought a roku3 last weekend!  Have had it for 4 days and I love it!!!!  $94 initial investment and now 7.99 a month each for huluplus and netflix and I have every tv show from past to present that I could possibly dream of!!!!  I get to get caught up on shows we no longer have due to programming changes or ones I do not have anymore (I.e. Dexter). I rarely keep upto date on tv anyway, always taping things I want to watch and watching them as I have time...  Or re runs! 

So you can watch seasons 1-3 of walking dead now???

Ru you finally going to get to watch Gilmore girls?

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/20/14 at 5:40 am

So you can watch seasons 1-3 of walking dead now???

Ru you finally going to get to watch Gilmore girls?
i have to pay for gilmore girls :(.  It is only offered through voodoo or Amazon.  And both it it 1.99 per episode !  But 7th heaven is free with Amazon prime!  A

And yes to the walking dead, and dexter, and sons of anarchy and soo many more!  And the girls are excited because they don't have to wake at 4am to watch I love Lucy!

Written By: Howard on 03/20/14 at 7:16 am

My father loves it, He actually cancelled few months ago HBO,MAX and other cable channels just to watch Netflix, Vudu, Hulu and Roku.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/20/14 at 7:44 am

My father loves it, He actually cancelled few months ago HBO,MAX and other cable channels just to watch Netflix, Vudu, Hulu and Roku.
we are actually canceling out entire cable (satellite) programming!  Saving us that $94 payment a month!  We are soo busy running kids we can never watch scheduled programming on schedule without dvring it and watching later anyway!  So this works great for us with a $16 a month expenditure (with amazon prime $23). 

Awesome!

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/14 at 1:30 pm

i have to pay for gilmore girls :(.  It is only offered through voodoo or Amazon.  And both it it 1.99 per episode !  But 7th heaven is free with Amazon prime!  A

And yes to the walking dead, and dexter, and sons of anarchy and soo many more!  And the girls are excited because they don't have to wake at 4am to watch I love Lucy!

veronica mars is avail on Amazon Prime....and justified  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/20/14 at 1:53 pm

we are actually canceling out entire cable (satellite) programming!  Saving us that $94 payment a month!  We are soo busy running kids we can never watch scheduled programming on schedule without dvring it and watching later anyway!  So this works great for us with a $16 a month expenditure (with amazon prime $23). 

Awesome!

So do you now miss old cable channels or do you think this is better?

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/14 at 2:36 pm

im not answering for sami I'm answering for myself...

while I think these options are phenomenal advancements I think this is the stuff that's killing quality TV....the network and cable shows do not get the ratings they used to and therefore more shows get cancelled quickly even tho they are popular because the only numbers the industry cares about are the number of people who watch the live broadcast.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/21/14 at 3:42 am

veronica mars is avail on Amazon Prime....and justified  ;)
it is available on hulu plus as well...  Or Netflix!  I know I saw it on one or the others screen...

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/21/14 at 3:43 am

not at all...  But to be honest, we just cancelled dish itself!

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/21/14 at 4:09 am

im not answering for sami I'm answering for myself...

while I think these options are phenomenal advancements I think this is the stuff that's killing quality TV....the network and cable shows do not get the ratings they used to and therefore more shows get cancelled quickly even tho they are popular because the only numbers the industry cares about are the number of people who watch the live broadcast.
i can understand that train if thought, but if that is the case they need to realize they need to lower their rates!  You should not have to pay a bill for television that is 1/2 of a car payment or even 1/5th of my house payment.  It is not a life sustaining service!

And we do have our antenna for local networks.  So if it is a show on free tv.  Then we can still watch it.  Too many shows are moving to "paid programming" where they have already limited their audience numbers.  In today's economy, as well as in today's active world (were more mobile devices are used to keep up and in touch), value bases streaming "online" options are going to be it.  I now spend even less time at home, more time going from one activity to another...  So live tv for us not really an viable option.  And I know I am not the only family out there where this is an issue.  Fact is, children are not being raised with the television as a babysitter anymore.  It is frowned upon, they are kept active in sports, youth groups, volunteering, competitions, etc...  Heck my girls have started their own business!  All of this has also made a world of less tv watchers. 

As far as Iowa goes, I know that wages have not stayed in sync with the cost of living.  Where my grocery bill has doubled in the past 4 years, our pay has not.  I used to be able to grocery shop on a $98 budget every two weeks.  It is now about $225 every two weeks!  Thankfully we own our home, so our house payment does not increase as well.  But that is a large chunk out of extra expenditures.  We only go out to eat once every 2 months.  I pack a cooler everywhere we go, so we do not have to buy drinks at the gas station or eat out.  Have not been to an actual movie theater in over a year.  We have to make the decisions to cut back and I know 3 other families as I type this that are looking to the exact same thing.  Cut cable, and save!  Internet is not an option to cut, as in the rural communities we do not have "free wifi" around every corner, and more of our schools are going text free and one on one initiative with computers.  We need to be able to travel, luckily economy cars have came back into "style".  So entertainment is what was cut.

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/14 at 10:30 am

it is available on hulu plus as well...  Or Netflix!  I know I saw it on one or the others screen...

Cool.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/14 at 3:52 pm

not at all...  But to be honest, we just cancelled dish itself!

I kind of miss the days of old cable channels from the 80's and early 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...