inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is February bringing your way?

Written By: valleyroads on 01/28/14 at 1:32 pm

Figured I'd make the February thread ahead of time, so...

Possibly more photo shoots with and without a model, ongoing life skills education, more driver education and revisiting my therapist, plus not paying the Super Bowl one iota of attention, are what February holds for me so far.

Subject: Re: What is February bringing your way?

Written By: Ripley on 01/28/14 at 4:58 pm

I'm not watching the Super Bowl either.  I'm not a fan of sports. 

Written By: Howard on 01/28/14 at 5:03 pm

I'm not watching the Super Bowl either.  I'm not a fan of sports.

I'm not a fan of Football myself.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/28/14 at 5:10 pm

I want to see "New Girl" after the Superbowl so I can see Prince on there.

When IS the Superbowl?  :o

Written By: nally on 01/28/14 at 7:07 pm

I'm not a fan of Football myself.

Neither am I, which is why I don't watch the Super Bowl.

(However, there have been some years when I've decided to sneak a peek at the last few minutes of the game... I did that only out of curiosity in 2008, when the heavily-favored Patriots lost their lead near the end.)

Written By: Howard on 01/29/14 at 7:16 am

I want to see "New Girl" after the Superbowl so I can see Prince on there.

When IS the Superbowl?  :o

Sunday February 2nd.

Written By: Ripley on 01/29/14 at 6:29 pm

I will be watching The Walking Dead this February.  Its starts a week from Sunday.  Whoo Hoo.  Nothing else is going on as far as I know.  Except for drama at both mine and my mom's jobs.  However, we will be finding out the sex of my sister's baby who is due in June  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/29/14 at 6:52 pm

Sunday February 2nd.

Thank you! Oh crap, I hope Prince being on doesn't interfere with Downton Abbey.  :(

Written By: annimal on 01/30/14 at 4:45 pm

I'm not a football fan

I think I'll be getting some seeds growing and flowering.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/14 at 4:29 am

white rabbit

Written By: Dagwood on 02/01/14 at 9:16 am

Gonna go get an oil change this morning.  I know, all the excitement in my life....it's just crazy. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/01/14 at 10:13 am

Plans have changed and the oil change will probably be next weekend....dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

Yeah, I really need a life. :D

Written By: annimal on 02/01/14 at 4:04 pm

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/rocksannwastaken/d630c50d-093c-42f5-8c7a-076011a323c6_zps0270b763.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/14 at 4:15 pm

Plans have changed and the oil change will probably be next weekend....dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

Yeah, I really need a life. :D
Can't the oil come to you?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 4:57 pm

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/rocksannwastaken/d630c50d-093c-42f5-8c7a-076011a323c6_zps0270b763.jpg

you're out of focus.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/01/14 at 5:08 pm

Can't the oil come to you?  ;D

That sounds messy, though.  :D

Written By: annimal on 02/01/14 at 5:27 pm

you're out of focus.

I know it's not a good picture, but I reminded myself how to use photobucket.  Mabye I can give you some bunny ears again or something.

Written By: nally on 02/01/14 at 6:06 pm

So today I went to the library and did 2 1/2 hours of volunteering. It was my first time doing volunteer work on the weekend; that's only because I'm now doing my accounting program full-time during the week. I also stopped by at an event where people from my networking group (Contacts N Coffee) were representing their businesses and showing some of their products and services.

Written By: valleyroads on 02/01/14 at 10:57 pm

Did another photo shoot today, same model, different setting, and that's the it of it until she gets more vintage outfits that she wants photographed. Quite worn-down today, but quite happy and glad I'm back on a normal sleep schedule...  :)

Tomorrow (Super Bowl Sunday) will be a very low-key day spent mostly at home & without football on.

I did finally get my dad to admit to being disappointed in how I turned out, same with my mom, now I just have to get them to apologize for adopting me (long story there except that they should have never had kids)

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 11:54 pm

I will be watching The Walking Dead this February.  Its starts a week from Sunday.  Whoo Hoo.  Nothing else is going on as far as I know.  Except for drama at both mine and my mom's jobs.  However, we will be finding out the sex of my sister's baby who is due in June  :)

I can't wait another week... I would've loved for them to have started walking dead on the 2nd to see how it faired against the Super Bowl....

Written By: Ripley on 02/02/14 at 12:04 am

I can't wait another week... I would've loved for them to have started walking dead on the 2nd to see how it faired against the Super Bowl....

Great idea  ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 5:05 pm

So today I went to the library and did 2 1/2 hours of volunteering. It was my first time doing volunteer work on the weekend; that's only because I'm now doing my accounting program full-time during the week. I also stopped by at an event where people from my networking group (Contacts N Coffee) were representing their businesses and showing some of their products and services.

wonderful.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/02/14 at 6:52 pm

Hopefully the accounting program can get you a nice job soon.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/02/14 at 7:35 pm

Hopefully the accounting program can get you a nice job soon.  :)

I am supposed to finish it by the end of August. It's a 26-week program, but there are off-days and holidays during the year, which is why my ending date is in August; however, I might get done sooner than that, depending on how well I progress with it.

Written By: karen on 02/03/14 at 11:26 am

I thought you'd be whizzing through this first part of the course Jeff, given how much computer stuff you must have done over the years.

Written By: annimal on 02/03/14 at 2:22 pm

glad we've been getting a little rain to help my seeds come up.

Written By: nally on 02/03/14 at 7:29 pm

I thought you'd be whizzing through this first part of the course Jeff, given how much computer stuff you must have done over the years.

Well, I did whiz through one part of it... namely, the intro to the Windows operating system. I was given two weeks to complete the material for that portion; I finished it in less than one week.

I am also currently learning about how to use the electronic calculator (aka "adding machine"); I will likely finish this part ahead of time.

Written By: warped on 02/03/14 at 8:05 pm

Well, I did whiz through one part of it... namely, the intro to the Windows operating system. I was given two weeks to complete the material for that portion; I finished it in less than one week.

I am also currently learning about how to use the electronic calculator (aka "adding machine"); I will likely finish this part ahead of time.

Does it look like this?

http://www.newmarket.ca/en/townhall/resourcelibrary/adding_machine_best.gif

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/03/14 at 8:11 pm

http://crashchords.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/37B-Heartbreak.png

This

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lBlwqZ6TolY/T_wgQBYeKHI/AAAAAAAAAX8/clwULCC1284/s1600/bitterness.jpg

And this.

Written By: warped on 02/03/14 at 9:36 pm

Doesn't sound too good , Celeste. Just break up with someone?  Something bad happened. ?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/03/14 at 9:40 pm

Doesn't sound too good , Celeste. Just break up with someone?  Something bad happened. ?

No.  I get that way every Valentine's day.  :)

If you're single you view it as just another Hallmark holiday cooked up to sell greeting cards.  ;)

:)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/03/14 at 10:21 pm

If you're single you view it as just another Hallmark holiday cooked up to sell greeting cards.  ;)

National Singles Awareness Day. :D  I get where you're coming from.  Being single on V-day sucks the big one.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/03/14 at 11:43 pm

National Singles Awareness Day. :D  I get where you're coming from.  Being single on V-day sucks the big one.  :)

Yeah.  Maybe if I had someone in my life who's more emotionally stable than I am I wouldn't be the mess that I am every Valentine's day.  :D
It does suck being alone on Valentine's day.  I do get jealous of the people who have someone on National Single's Awareness Day.  But at the same time I vaule not being hooked up to the same person day after day.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/04/14 at 6:58 am

Yeah.  Maybe if I had someone in my life who's more emotionally stable than I am I wouldn't be the mess that I am every Valentine's day.  :D
It does suck being alone on Valentine's day.  I do get jealous of the people who have someone on National Single's Awareness Day.  But at the same time I vaule not being hooked up to the same person day after day.  :)

You gotta figure out how not to let it get to you.  Remember, it's better to be alone than with a jerk.  V-day is just a made up holiday to make card/chocolate/flower companies rich.  Nothing more. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/14 at 7:08 am

You gotta figure out how not to let it get to you.  Remember, it's better to be alone than with a jerk.  V-day is just a made up holiday to make card/chocolate/flower companies rich.  Nothing more. :)
True, why do you only show love one day of the year, when there are others to show love on.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/04/14 at 7:50 am

True, why do you only show love one day of the year, when there are others to show love on.

Good point

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/14 at 7:52 am

Good point
I have been married for over thirty years now, and do not need Valentine Day to prove anything.

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/14 at 7:58 am

I'm sooo happy I'm single and don't have to deal with that v day crap.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 8:54 am

just another day to jack up prices for flowers and chocolates.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 8:55 am

I kind of like being single, gives you more freedom.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 8:56 am

I'm sooo happy I'm single and don't have to deal with that v day crap.

me too Q. ;)

Written By: nally on 02/04/14 at 10:03 pm

Does it look like this?

http://www.newmarket.ca/en/townhall/resourcelibrary/adding_machine_best.gif

Yes. :) Something like that.

I am getting into the more complicated sections of the lesson book, learning how to use some of the more complicated functions (which will be helpful in accounting).

Written By: warped on 02/05/14 at 5:54 am

Yes. :) Something like that.

I am getting into the more complicated sections of the lesson book, learning how to use some of the more complicated functions (which will be helpful in accounting).

What are some of the  "more complicated functions " for this type of adding machine?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/05/14 at 7:43 am

True.

Written By: annimal on 02/05/14 at 3:54 pm

I got an allergy thats making my throat dry and my eyes sore.  Also I have V day.  I'd rather just love someone and or something all year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/14 at 4:49 pm

I got an allergy thats making my throat dry and my eyes sore.  Also I have V day.  I'd rather just love someone and or something all year.
Can Hay Fever be starting earlier this year?

Written By: nally on 02/05/14 at 7:05 pm

What are some of the  "more complicated functions " for this type of adding machine?

Calculating averages at the push of a button (there is a special selector that needs to be set in order for this to work); can add up a bunch of numbers (without having to count them in your head as you add 'em up), and then push the "AVG" button and it'll give you the average. If you have "printing" mode on, it'll list the sum of all the numbers, how many of them you added, and their average, all on the paper tape.

There's also an "MU" key (which stands for "Multiple Use"; my instructor thinks it should be labeled as "P.I.", for "Percentage Increase"); basically to use this key you punch in a number, hit "+=", punch in another number, hit "-=", and then when you hit the "MU" key it'll tell you the percentage of increase or decrease. (For example, enter "80", then hit the plus key, then enter "50" and hit the minus key, then pushing "MU" and the display will show "60" because 80 is a 60% increase from 50.)

Written By: warped on 02/05/14 at 7:31 pm

Calculating averages at the push of a button (there is a special selector that needs to be set in order for this to work); can add up a bunch of numbers (without having to count them in your head as you add 'em up), and then push the "AVG" button and it'll give you the average. If you have "printing" mode on, it'll list the sum of all the numbers, how many of them you added, and their average, all on the paper tape.

There's also an "MU" key (which stands for "Multiple Use"; my instructor thinks it should be labeled as "P.I.", for "Percentage Increase"); basically to use this key you punch in a number, hit "+=", punch in another number, hit "-=", and then when you hit the "MU" key it'll tell you the percentage of increase or decrease. (For example, enter "80", then hit the plus key, then enter "50" and hit the minus key, then pushing "MU" and the display will show "60" because 80 is a 60% increase from 50.)

Understood. Thanks. Yes, they are fairly common keys to use.

Written By: Ripley on 02/05/14 at 7:37 pm

I just found out that my sister is having a baby girl!  I'm super excited.  I was guessing and hoping that it would be.  Now I can spoil her and get her a bunch of pink stuff!!!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/14 at 1:46 am

OPRAH!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/14 at 1:48 am

I just found out that my sister is having a baby girl!  I'm super excited.  I was guessing and hoping that it would be.  Now I can spoil her and get her a bunch of pink stuff!!!  :)

Congrats auntie.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/14 at 9:00 am

Can Hay Fever be starting earlier this year?

That could be, Hay Fever is worse in the Spring.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/14 at 9:01 am

Congratulations. :)

Written By: annimal on 02/06/14 at 3:52 pm

still I wonder  who'll stop the rain

Written By: nally on 02/06/14 at 8:03 pm

How nice!! Congratz, auntie-to-be! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/14 at 10:34 am

Congrats. Being an aunt is a lot of fun. I'm an aunt 8 times over. In fact, my oldest niece was my maid-of-honor at my wedding and I couldn't have made a better choice.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 02/07/14 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the congrats!  I am excited.  I'm buying a lot of pink things.  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/07/14 at 1:02 pm

This is strange.

I go to my Yahoo account, mainly to keep it active and check the mail.

OkCupid had sent me an ad on my birthday saying "Happy Birthday, Step-chan!"

How the hell does that site know I have this username?

Oh, wait... It's the account I use for activating forum accounts. Nevermind.

Written By: nally on 02/07/14 at 7:30 pm

So today I finished my second week of the accounting course I'm taking... and I may be moving on to another element of the course early next week. I am almost finished with "electronic calculator" element, which I'd been working on since I started the overall course; I have only one more chapter to go on that. In fact, yesterday, one of the assignments I had to do was somewhat complicated; I had to use a number of different functions, including percent increase/decrease... and I got every answer right! Today I worked on "combined calculations", which deals with problems using multiplication/division AND addition/subtraction in any order. I'm pretty sure I did well on that.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/14 at 7:32 pm

OPRAH!!!

You met her?  :(

Written By: Ripley on 02/07/14 at 8:56 pm

So today I finished my second week of the accounting course I'm taking... and I may be moving on to another element of the course early next week. I am almost finished with "electronic calculator" element, which I'd been working on since I started the overall course; I have only one more chapter to go on that. In fact, yesterday, one of the assignments I had to do was somewhat complicated; I had to use a number of different functions, including percent increase/decrease... and I got every answer right! Today I worked on "combined calculations", which deals with problems using multiplication/division AND addition/subtraction in any order. I'm pretty sure I did well on that.

Awesome!

Written By: snozberries on 02/07/14 at 10:50 pm

WTG Jeff....

You met her?  :(

guess you haven't been to the *Famous People* photo thread yet  ;)

Written By: karen on 02/08/14 at 7:22 am

Dai is away for the weekend on a first aid course

Elizabeth is away for the weekend caving with the Scouts

So its just James and I.  It was the school disco last night and the PSA also had a cash bar for the parents (well away from the disco!)

Today we went into town to exchange one of James's birthday presents.  We didn't have a receipt but the guy realised how much other stuff we'd be buying so he was alright about it.  James has now started his Warhammer collection after nagging about it for a couple of years.  (Kinda like Dungeons and Dragons).

And tomorrow he is going to a karate competition providing our transport arrangements work out.  Having only one car is the family is usually ok but just occasionally it causes problems.

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/14 at 1:03 pm

Comic con tickets secured!!!!
Well 4 nights anyway.  We gotta wait til resale to see if we can pick up some preview night tickets we missed out on today.  But WHOO HOO!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 5:01 pm

great news.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/08/14 at 5:02 pm

Screaming my way thru February to the big 43.  It is so weird, I don't feel that old yet here I am. 

Written By: Dagwood on 02/08/14 at 5:03 pm

I say that as my 16 year old is bleaching part of her hair for purple streaks.  I guess I am that old. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 5:04 pm

Screaming my way thru February to the big 43.  It is so weird, I don't feel that old yet here I am.

I'm going to be 40 in March and I don't feel old YET!

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 5:04 pm

I say that as my 16 year old is bleaching part of her hair for purple streaks.  I guess I am that old. ;D

why is she doing that?

Written By: loki 13 on 02/08/14 at 6:30 pm

I remember when I started my job at the local at 24 years of age. I was talking to a fellow worker who was counting
his time to retirement. I told him I had too long to go to start counting. It seemed liked yesterday....I can start the
countdown, I have 31 months until I am retirement eligible.....Like you, I don't feel that old but alas, time flies.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/08/14 at 6:45 pm

I remember when I started my job at the local at 24 years of age. I was talking to a fellow worker who was counting
his time to retirement. I told him I had too long to go to start counting. It seemed liked yesterday....I can start the
countdown, I have 31 months until I am retirement eligible.....Like you, I don't feel that old but alas, time flies.

It sure does.  I don't even want to think about retirement.  I only have $112 set aside...that will last no time.  In June I am eligible for my companies retirement plan.  The best part of that is they match up to 11%.  Now I just have to figure out how I can set aside that much without it hurting us. 

Written By: loki 13 on 02/08/14 at 7:01 pm

It sure does.  I don't even want to think about retirement.  I only have $112 set aside...that will last no time.  In June I am eligible for my companies retirement plan.  The best part of that is they match up to 11%.  Now I just have to figure out how I can set aside that much without it hurting us.

It is getting harder for the average person to retire. That is one good thing about working in a union, part of my pay package
goes into an annuity and if it wasn't for that I would never be able to retire. I don't plan on retiring in 31 months but it will
be nice to know that I could.

Written By: karen on 02/09/14 at 3:20 am

It is getting harder for the average person to retire. That is one good thing about working in a union, part of my pay package
goes into an annuity and if it wasn't for that I would never be able to retire. I don't plan on retiring in 31 months but it will

How do pensions work in the US?

In the UK I have being paying National Insurance contributions to the government since I started work.  If I get enough qualifying years (which I will) I get a pension from the government.  Not sure the exact age this starts now because it has changed but it is about 65 years old.  It isn't overly generous though.

The government have been encouraging people to take out private pensions and offering various incentives for a few years.  Now they've decided to make them compulsory (above a certain salary) unless you actively opt out of the scheme.  You pay up to 5% of your salary, the taxman pays in 5% and the company pays in 7.5%. 

Written By: Dagwood on 02/09/14 at 8:37 am

In the UK I have being paying National Insurance contributions to the government since I started work.  If I get enough qualifying years (which I will) I get a pension from the government.  Not sure the exact age this starts now because it has changed but it is about 65 years old.  It isn't overly generous though.

The government have been encouraging people to take out private pensions and offering various incentives for a few years.  Now they've decided to make them compulsory (above a certain salary) unless you actively opt out of the scheme.  You pay up to 5% of your salary, the taxman pays in 5% and the company pays in 7.5%. 

We have Social Security, which sounds the same.  Our checks are taxed and it is supposed to go into an account for you to get as you retire.  It would be nice, but I don't trust it to still be there when I get there.  Also, they send out statements saying, based upon how much we have contributed so far, how much we would get.  My last on told me $1200 a month.  I can't live on that.  There is no opting out of this program, either.  It is mandatory to contribute.  If you don't want to, you don't have to draw on it, though.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/09/14 at 9:57 am

Pensions are a strange thing. Some companies offer them, some do not. I can't speak for how a pension works in
other companies but my union's pension and annuity work like this: I make an hourly rate but my employer charges
the customer a higher hourly rate for my services. Out of that higher rate my employer pays into Health and Welfare,
Pension, Annuity and a few other funds. That leaves my hourly rate, out of which I pay into a vacation fund. That is
the downside of the union, I get 1 paid holiday (Election Day) and I pay for my own vacation.

We have Social Security, which sounds the same.  Our checks are taxed and it is supposed to go into an account for you to get as you retire.  It would be nice, but I don't trust it to still be there when I get there.  Also, they send out statements saying, based upon how much we have contributed so far, how much we would get.  My last on told me $1200 a month.  I can't live on that.  There is no opting out of this program, either.  It is mandatory to contribute.  If you don't want to, you don't have to draw on it, though.

I don't want to get started on Social Security, a fund to help the elderly through retirement years only to be stolen and
spent wildly by our illustrious leaders.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/14 at 10:44 am

When Carlos retired back in 2005, everyone looked at me asked, "So, when are you going to retire?" I told them that I already was. I retired at the ripe old age of 26. NO JOKE!!! I was medically retired and have been receiving a pension ever since. The thing is, I didn't work enough to receive Social Security when I reach the age-but being his spouse, I can draw off of Carlos'.

I know my situation is totally different from most. It does me angry that many people CAN'T retire because of the income gap in the country-but that is a topic for the political section of the board.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/09/14 at 11:50 am

I don't want to get started on Social Security, a fund to help the elderly through retirement years only to be stolen and
spent wildly by our illustrious leaders.

And this is why I don't trust it to be here when I retire.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 3:53 pm

I work for a union myself. It's called The Local 1500 UFCW.

Written By: snozberries on 02/09/14 at 4:46 pm

And this is why I don't trust it to be here when I retire.

I was stupid.  We have a decent retirement plan but when I started 15yrs ago I didn't educate myself. I knew I was putting money into a deferred savings plan (which I sorta thought was the same as a 403b...it's not) I finally realized my oversight and started contributing to my retirement 2 yrs ago) do you know how much money I screwed myself out of in 13 yrs  :o  :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/10/14 at 7:04 pm

Okay, so today I went through the final chapter of my workbook for the adding machine/electronic calculator. There is still one final worksheet to do before I finish the book and can take a test on what I've learned from it (which I will likely do tomorrow). And when that's completed, the instructor will let me know what "subject" (that is, element of the course) I will be concentrating on next.

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 7:31 pm

Okay, so today I went through the final chapter of my workbook for the adding machine/electronic calculator. There is still one final worksheet to do before I finish the book and can take a test on what I've learned from it (which I will likely do tomorrow). And when that's completed, the instructor will let me know what "subject" (that is, element of the course) I will be concentrating on next.

Keep up the good work!

Written By: nally on 02/10/14 at 7:35 pm

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I do know that on the list there are three elements labeled as "accounting" (with 1, 2, and 3 suffixes, to indicate the level), and I know that they will utilize an accounting textbook. Perhaps the instructor will have me concentrate on the first of those next (or within the next couple weeks).

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/10/14 at 9:52 pm

I finally realized my oversight and started contributing to my retirement 2 yrs ago) do you know how much money I screwed myself out of in 13 yrs

Stuff like this is why financial literacy ought to be introduced at grade school and made part of the standard high school curriculum with a passing grade required in order to graduate.  People make life-altering mistakes because it's something "everyone" is expected to know, yet it was never taught in school, and you could even get a degree in whatever your college specialty was without ever learning anything about it.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:17 am

Excellent!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/14 at 8:05 am

Stuff like this is why financial literacy ought to be introduced at grade school and made part of the standard high school curriculum with a passing grade required in order to graduate.  People make life-altering mistakes because it's something "everyone" is expected to know, yet it was never taught in school, and you could even get a degree in whatever your college specialty was without ever learning anything about it.

Had it been offered in hs I would've been resistant to it and failed it miserably I would've seen it as math and something irrelevant bc retirement seemed so far away

The truth is I went to a seminar when I got hired full time I was 33. Retirement still seemed far away and all I heard was blah blah blah so I didn't hear the 'put money in this account'  I heard 'we are already taking money out if your paycheck and now we wanna take more'  I spent the 1st 40 yrs of my life focused on immediate gratification. I genuinely didn't start thinking about my future until I hit 44.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 11:48 am

Had it been offered in hs I would've been resistant to it and failed it miserably I would've seen it as math and something irrelevant bc retirement seemed so far away

The truth is I went to a seminar when I got hired full time I was 33. Retirement still seemed far away and all I heard was blah blah blah so I didn't hear the 'put money in this account'  I heard 'we are already taking money out if your paycheck and now we wanna take more'  I spent the 1st 40 yrs of my life focused on immediate gratification. I genuinely didn't start thinking about my future until I hit 44.

When I was 18, my parents took me to the bank to open an IRA. Even though IRAs were a fairly new thing at the time, I didn't begrudge it. I just thought it was one of those things that you just did. Over the years, that IRA had moved banks but I still have it. Still can't take anything out of it yet even though I am already retired.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/14 at 12:19 pm

When I was 18, my parents took me to the bank to open an IRA. Even though IRAs were a fairly new thing at the time, I didn't begrudge it. I just thought it was one of those things that you just did. Over the years, that IRA had moved banks but I still have it. Still can't take anything out of it yet even though I am already retired.  :-\\

Cat

My mom always told me I should save 10-20% of my paycheck each week.  As she would preach this we were usually in line buying clothes or furniture or something. She never saved anything rather than listening to her I took after her actions and decided to get everything i want NOW rather than save for the next emergency that may come along

It's been a hard habit to break but I'm almost out if debt

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 12:29 pm

My mom always told me I should save 10-20% of my paycheck each week.  As she would preach this we were usually in line buying clothes or furniture or something. She never saved anything rather than listening to her I took after her actions and decided to get everything i want NOW rather than save for the next emergency that may come along

Yay!!!

To tell you the truth, I did something stupid to get myself out of dept-I took $$$$$ out of my IRA. Not only did I have to pay the bank for early withdrawal, the IRS came asking for their cut, too. But, I did get out of debt.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/11/14 at 12:55 pm

If you don't have me on Facebook.... 

Girls have started their own Candy Bouquet business!  And it is a hit so far! 

I love my little entrepreneurs!!!!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/14 at 2:01 pm

I noticed business was booming for them. That's awesome. 
The roses kisses are my fave of all they've done.

Written By: annimal on 02/11/14 at 2:38 pm

I had joined a music class for people with cancer and went to the first one yesterday.  You can listen, sing, or play a guitar.  I sang.  One of the songs I sang was All Shook Up.

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 6:37 pm

They are beautiful! Great job!

I had joined a music class for people with cancer and went to the first one yesterday.  You can listen, sing, or play a guitar.  I sang.  One of the songs I sang was All Shook Up.

I hope you enjoy the class and get to do lots of fun things.

Written By: nally on 02/11/14 at 7:54 pm

Excellent!  :)

Thanks. And today I finished up with the calculator. Then I took an exam on it, and I feel I did well.

Tomorrow I will move on to (a subject to be determined)!

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 8:10 pm

Do you have direct deposit?

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 8:11 pm

That's really great!  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 8:11 pm

that's great for you Ann.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/14 at 12:20 am

Do you have direct deposit?

Yes but that doesn't keep me from over spending instead of saving

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/14 at 7:22 am

Cat

I started a Roth IRA last year.  The best part about that is that it is done with after tax money so when I can draw from it, it will be tax free.  The bad part is you can only put in up to $5500 a year.

Good for them!  I have seen the pictures, they are awesome.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/14 at 7:22 am

I have that same problem, too. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 7:35 am

what do you spend it on?

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/14 at 10:13 am

what do you spend it on?

Gas to drive to LA
8x10s to get autographed
Frames for said 8x10s (tho now I'm out of wall space )
Tickets to Paley events
Comicon badge
Hotel for comicon
DVDs
Food
Bills
Laundry
Directv
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
Effie

You know....all the important stuff  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/14 at 10:42 am

I started a Roth IRA last year.  The best part about that is that it is done with after tax money so when I can draw from it, it will be tax free.  The bad part is you can only put in up to $5500 a year.

I haven't been able to put anything in my IRA for decades since I am not working. But I invested it into Green Mountain Coffee back in 2000. I bought 50 shares which I can't remember how much I bought them for but my total investment was under $2000. The stocks split, and split again and it kept going up and up and up. Yesterday, the stock closed at $118!  :o :o :o :o  So now, my dilemma is, do I sit on it or do I sell it-at least some of it? Decisions, decisions! And even if I do sell, I STILL can't touch any of that for a few more years yet.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/12/14 at 11:55 am

I noticed business was booming for them. That's awesome. 
The roses kisses are my fave of all they've done.

They are beautiful! Great job!

I hope you enjoy the class and get to do lots of fun things.

That's really great!  :)

Good for them!  I have seen the pictures, they are awesome.
thank you everyone!  They are upto 33 bouquets!  I have to help with the Hershey kiss ones, as it takes some strong fingers to wrap the cellophane around, get it secured with wire, and tape it!!!  They have a bouquet to make from a dozen of those! 

I noticed last night, the bouquets were starting to not have a "flair."  So we stopped and will touch them up tonight.  Burn out valentines week (and they are learning how many last minute people there are).  I don't think I will be putting another "advertisement" out there this week.  They have some orders for next week and they are attaching there business card (with my phone number) on all orders.  We shall see how this goes!

Written By: annimal on 02/12/14 at 5:50 pm

thanks to those who want me to enjoy my music class.  There are about 60 songs I know.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/14 at 6:30 pm

Gas to drive to LA
8x10s to get autographed
Frames for said 8x10s (tho now I'm out of wall space )
Tickets to Paley events
Comicon badge
Hotel for comicon
DVDs
Food
Bills
Laundry
Directv
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
Effie

You know....all the important stuff  ;)

I should be saving mine but I like to spoil myself since I worked hard all year!  :P

Written By: nally on 02/12/14 at 7:03 pm

So...today I started with the subject of accounting, learning about the accounting equation, how transactions affect it, and how to make sure it stays balanced. This first chapter is rather familiar to me, since I first had exposure to it last month in the assessment. I still have to read the text and make sure I understand it in full. Still, I think I'm going to have a good time with it.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/14 at 7:48 pm

I haven't been able to put anything in my IRA for decades since I am not working. But I invested it into Green Mountain Coffee back in 2000. I bought 50 shares which I can't remember how much I bought them for but my total investment was under $2000. The stocks split, and split again and it kept going up and up and up. Yesterday, the stock closed at $118!  :o :o :o :o  So now, my dilemma is, do I sit on it or do I sell it-at least some of it? Decisions, decisions! And even if I do sell, I STILL can't touch any of that for a few more years yet.  :-\\

Cat

Tough question.  Cool, though.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 8:02 pm

Another snow event for tomorrow and thank god I'm off and I may be off on Friday depending on which way the storm goes. I keep hearing between 6-10 inches and on top of the mounds and mounds of snow and ice from the previous storms, it already looks like an obstacle course.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 8:04 pm

I should be saving mine but I like to spoil myself since I worked hard all year!  :P

I put most of my money in my savings account and now that I have my tax refund I'm going to spend it on some new threads.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/14 at 10:58 pm

I put most of my money in my savings account and now that I have my tax refund I'm going to spend it on some new threads.

I need new things to wear too :P

Written By: Howard on 02/13/14 at 8:18 am

I need new things to wear too :P

I might go to Kohl's and buy me a pair of red jeans, a pair of brown dress shoes and maybe a pair of purple jeans. I love to splurge.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/14 at 9:55 am

Tough question.  Cool, though.

HOLY CRAP!!! The stock is up over $121 per share!  :o :o :o  I have no idea if I sell or not. They just made a deal with Coke which is why the stock is skyrocketing. Will it continue to go up or will it take a nose dive? I hate having to make these kind of decisions.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/14 at 10:18 am

HOLY CRAP!!! The stock is up over $121 per share!  :o :o :o  I have no idea if I sell or not. They just made a deal with Coke which is why the stock is skyrocketing. Will it continue to go up or will it take a nose dive? I hate having to make these kind of decisions.  :-\\

Cat

Sell half. Keep half.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/14 at 10:24 am

Sell half. Keep half.

Thinking of that.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/14 at 1:39 pm

Cat

That is scary becaus you never know.  I like Q's idea, though.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/14 at 6:07 pm

No.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/14 at 7:35 pm

No.

No what???

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/14 at 7:39 pm

No what???

I'm not supposed to tell.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/14 at 7:44 pm

I'm not supposed to tell.

Go to 2:44 and watch opie & Andy's exchange  ;D
http://youtu.be/ytZyzDjjG6Y

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/14 at 7:56 pm

I understand now.  8)

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/14 at 8:01 pm

I understand now.  8)

It's one of my favorite scenes. As soon as u posted your thing it's the first thing I thought of  ;D

Karma for a happy memory recall

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/13/14 at 8:12 pm

Proud momma moment!!!!

Girls did 35 bouquets in less than seven days!  We delivered 10 today! 

They already have an order for 4 more!  The support has been phenomenal! They made $200 on a little $500 worth of product...  Not bad with nothing wholesale prices!  And people keep telling us, what great parents we are for allowing this under taking.  I guess maybe we are doing something right?

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/14 at 8:26 pm

Proud momma moment!!!!

They already have an order for 4 more!  The support has been phenomenal! They made $200 on a little $500 worth of product...  Not bad with nothing wholesale prices!  And people keep telling us, what great parents we are for allowing this under taking.  I guess maybe we are doing something right?

$200 profit? That's excellent.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/13/14 at 8:34 pm

$200 profit? That's excellent.
once we subtracted costs for cups, candy, pop, styrofoam, and some glue sticks!!!!  That is what we got!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/14 at 8:48 pm

That is awesome, Sami!  What are they gonna do with their money?

As for me?  Four day weekend, baby!

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/14 at 8:51 pm

Excellent...how are u spending it?

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/13/14 at 8:55 pm

they are saving it up for a trip!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/14 at 8:58 pm

Excellent...how are u spending it?

Taking Sarah to get her license tomorrow (eek) and then helping my mom pack stuff up and dragging it to the thrift store.  She is selling her house and moving somewhere smaller.  She has a lot of stuff.

Good for them, Sami. They will appreciate it much more when they earn it.  I know that's how I was.

Written By: nally on 02/13/14 at 10:53 pm

So today I took a test on the first chapter of the accounting textbook, and I feel I did quite well on it. So then I began reading the second chapter, and will do the exercises when I return on Tuesday. (The V.A.C.E. is taking a four-day Presidents Day weekend, starting tomorrow (Friday).) I have been enjoying the course thus far, but I anticipate some of the later concepts might be a bit challenging. Still, the instructor is able to assist when necessary, and the whole course is self-paced.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 8:18 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 8:19 am

Proud momma moment!!!!

wonderful!  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 8:20 am

hope they enjoy their trip.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/14 at 8:29 am

to california?

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/14/14 at 9:25 am

to california?
. Yes if we can find cheap airline tickets, and cheap (but secure) hotel - otherwise we would have to bunk with you - lol ( ;) ) !  And specials to get into Disney, and maybe sea world or sandiego zoo!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/14 at 9:28 am

. Yes if we can find cheap airline tickets, and cheap (but secure) hotel - otherwise we would have to bunk with you - lol ( ;) ) !  And specials to get into Disney, and maybe sea world or sandiego zoo!!!
Sound great! We were there last September.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/14 at 10:26 am

I might go to Kohl's and buy me a pair of red jeans, a pair of brown dress shoes and maybe a pair of purple jeans. I love to splurge.

It feels good when you can do that.  Once a month I will buy some new clothes, cds, movies etc.  I get rather stingy about money though.  Not in a cheap-ass way, but I like having the money in my account cause I never know when I will need it. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/14 at 10:27 am

Disneyland doesn't do a whole lot of special offers any more. We used to get a discount just for being a so cal res but not any more  >:(

I'm always seeing discounts on Sd zoo.
I know my costco sells discount passes if u need me to look at that for ya let me know.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/14 at 10:28 am

I would like to go back to California some day.  There are several places there I would like to visit.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/14 at 10:35 am

Well I got my tax refund and its all gone already.  I had planned to save a lot of it.  I bought a few things and caught up some bills.  But then yesterday I finally found a bed that I liked so I decided to get it.  The one I have had is several years old but its a good, well-made mattress.  But as much as it's still in good condition I am getting tired (pun intended  ;D) of it.  It's a pillowtop so its a pain in the butt to find good sheets for it, ones that actually stay on it.  I am ready for something smaller that takes up a lot less space.  So I bought a nice day bed.  unfortunately we don't have a truck so my brother will come over in his today and will help us pick it up.  After that I have to get new bedding.  :P

Written By: nally on 02/14/14 at 10:59 am

I would like to go back to California some day.  There are several places there I would like to visit.

Sounds cool. I could recommend several of 'em, given that I have lived there all my life.

Written By: warped on 02/14/14 at 12:44 pm

Nally- keep up the good work in learning about accounting

sami - saw the floral bouquet's on fb, they were beautiful.

ripley - tax refund = new bed. woohoo! enjoy your new bed.

I went to emergency this morning, excruciating pain on my side. Doc's think I have a kidney stone. Took some Naproxen and flomax. Am home now, feeling much better. Will continue to take pain killers until the stone passes. I've had kidney stones before, I know what to expect.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 2:37 pm

It feels good when you can do that.  Once a month I will buy some new clothes, cds, movies etc.  I get rather stingy about money though.  Not in a cheap-ass way, but I like having the money in my account cause I never know when I will need it.

it feels good to splurge once in a while and also it feels good to see money accumulate in your bank account.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 2:38 pm

Well I got my tax refund and its all gone already.  I had planned to save a lot of it.  I bought a few things and caught up some bills.  But then yesterday I finally found a bed that I liked so I decided to get it.  The one I have had is several years old but its a good, well-made mattress.  But as much as it's still in good condition I am getting tired (pun intended  ;D) of it.  It's a pillowtop so its a pain in the butt to find good sheets for it, ones that actually stay on it.  I am ready for something smaller that takes up a lot less space.  So I bought a nice day bed.  unfortunately we don't have a truck so my brother will come over in his today and will help us pick it up.  After that I have to get new bedding.  :P

wow, that was fast.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 2:39 pm

I went to emergency this morning, excruciating pain on my side. Doc's think I have a kidney stone. Took some Naproxen and flomax. Am home now, feeling much better. Will continue to take pain killers until the stone passes. I've had kidney stones before, I know what to expect.

feel better.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/14 at 3:26 pm

Nothing new, but it snowed today.

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/14 at 5:19 pm

Feel better warped

Written By: warped on 02/14/14 at 7:10 pm

feel better.

Feel better warped

Thanks.  I am so thankful I have pain killers! Makes me a little dopey and light-headed...but who's gonna notice the difference from my real self?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/14/14 at 8:17 pm

I'm ready for March 20 to come.  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/14/14 at 8:24 pm

Disneyland doesn't do a whole lot of special offers any more. We used to get a discount just for being a so cal res but not any more  >:(

I'm always seeing discounts on Sd zoo.
I know my costco sells discount passes if u need me to look at that for ya let me know.
then there is the l.a. Scene...  But I wouldn't have a clue!  I would have to get a tour guide ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/14/14 at 8:26 pm

eeek!  I hope it passes with the least amount of pain and as quick as possible! 

Written By: Dagwood on 02/14/14 at 8:43 pm

Eek.  Thank goodness for pain pills.  Hope you feel better quickly.

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/14 at 11:18 pm

I'm definitely enjoying it!  And I hope you have a quick recovery.  *hugs*

Written By: karen on 02/15/14 at 10:09 am

whoever bought the new pillowtop bed JC Penney did deep sided fitted sheets to fit over them.  At least they did about 5 years ago!

Written By: karen on 02/15/14 at 10:10 am

February is mainly bringing us rain and lots of it.  Plus high winds. Thankfully where we live hasn't flooded, though many other places in Britain have.

Next week is a holiday from school.  We have a day in London planned and one or two other ideas but it depends on the weather.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 10:21 am

February is mainly bringing us rain and lots of it.  Plus high winds. Thankfully where we live hasn't flooded, though many other places in Britain have.

Next week is a holiday from school.  We have a day in London planned and one or two other ideas but it depends on the weather.
I have been told that it is not rainy or windy inside cinemas.

Written By: karen on 02/15/14 at 10:30 am

I have been told that it is not rainy or windy inside cinemas.

Not sure what films are going to be on.  The cinema decided to stop publishing their listing in the local paper a while back.  You can call in to pick up a schedule or use their website, which is a pain if you are just browsing to see what you meant fancy going to watch.

I think the Lego film might be on this week

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/14 at 10:40 am

Not sure what films are going to be on.  The cinema decided to stop publishing their listing in the local paper a while back.  You can call in to pick up a schedule or use their website, which is a pain if you are just browsing to see what you meant fancy going to watch.

I think the Lego film might be on this week
The Lego Movie is practically on at every cinema in London.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/15/14 at 12:03 pm

Preparing for Addy's family birthday party!  Chex mix and turkey are in the oven!  Punch is in the freezer (slush punch) up next is cakes and chili!

Written By: nally on 02/15/14 at 4:24 pm

Did some volunteering at the library this morning. I can pretty much do it only on the weekends now because during the week I'm full-time in "school".

Written By: Howard on 02/15/14 at 4:31 pm

Nothing new, but it snowed today.

It's snowing here again. I'm tired of shoveling, it feels like I've shoveled all week.  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/15/14 at 4:32 pm

I'm ready for March 20 to come.  8)

same here,It's been a very rough winter.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/14 at 4:33 pm

Preparing for Addy's family birthday party!  Chex mix and turkey are in the oven!  Punch is in the freezer (slush punch) up next is cakes and chili!

Hope she enjoys it.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/15/14 at 6:50 pm

whoever bought the new pillowtop bed JC Penney did deep sided fitted sheets to fit over them.  At least they did about 5 years ago!

I had trouble finding sheets to fit a pillowtop.  The thing is, for years I found plenty to put on it up until recently.  That was part of the reason I got a new, non-pillowtop.  It was just annoying to not find good sheets.  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 02/15/14 at 6:51 pm

Did some volunteering at the library this morning. I can pretty much do it only on the weekends now because during the week I'm full-time in "school".

It sounds like you're keeping busy  :P

Written By: Ripley on 02/15/14 at 6:52 pm

It's snowing here again. I'm tired of shoveling, it feels like I've shoveled all week.  :P

8-P  I hate that stuff.  Maybe in the future I will live somewhere that doesn't have it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/16/14 at 4:24 pm

8-P  I hate that stuff.  Maybe in the future I will live somewhere that doesn't have it.  ;D

go to a warmer climate.

Written By: valleyroads on 02/16/14 at 9:16 pm

Not too much, but sold 8 notecard prints of my work at my artist guild's Gala Art Opening on Valentine's Day and may sell more at places that their notecards are sold at, am hopefully able to get out of my disability services that are being wasted on those who truly need them once I can prove to Social Security that I can handle activities of daily living on my own, after which I am leaving my area and going somewhere I have no family and know no one to start over (however I do have a friend who is from where I'm going), planning to live in a large recreational vehicle in an RV park. (no applications but first-come first served, inexpensive, frequent neighbor rotation, are not a con like property rental companies are)

Still having issues with my family.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/16/14 at 9:30 pm

It sounds like you're keeping busy  :P

Yes, I am. But I don't mind, because when I do volunteer work at the library, it's very helpful to others. Sometimes a patron will even come up to me and ask me something; most times I am able to help the person out. :)

Written By: nally on 02/16/14 at 9:50 pm

...and by the way, while I was at the library yesterday (Saturday), my parents drove out to the San Fernando Valley to visit my maternal grandma and help her out with a few things. They left her place at 1:45pm and got back home an hour later (this was after I got home), and once they got home, my mom was going to call her mother to tell her they got home, because my grandma likes to know that we get home safely. (Especially since it's a long distance between her home and our home.) But when my mom called, my grandma picked up the phone, but never said anything. We suspected something might be wrong with her; so we called my grandma's neighbors to go check on her...and had them call for help. Turns out, she'd suffered a stroke, and had to be rushed to the hospital. So then we all got back in the car at around 4 and left our house (in Oxnard) to drive all the way back to the Valley...to the hospital, where my grandma was in the E.R., under observation for several hours before she was moved into a hospital room...and was in stable condition when we left there last night. We went back to see her this morning; when we got there at around 11am, a speech therapist was working with my grandma to try to get her to say something, but of course it wasn't easy. Other tests were run today as well; it's kindof a long story. But we found out that the stroke affected the "language" area of her brain. Also, on the plus side, my grandma recognized us and seemed happy to see us. She's still gonna be in the hospital at least through sometime tomorrow.

Written By: karen on 02/17/14 at 7:32 am

Jeff I hope your grandma makes a speedy recovery.  Good job your mom could get in contact with the neighbours so quickly.

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/14 at 7:54 am

What Karen said.  Jeff I know how stressful it is to have a realative in the hospital
I wish u, your parents and your grandmother well wishes.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/17/14 at 9:48 am

So glad they got her to the hospital, Jeff.  I will keep her in my prayers.

Written By: nally on 02/17/14 at 1:04 pm

Thanks all. Today my parents drove back out there again to revisit, and to make arrangements for when my grandma gets discharged. (She'll need to go to a rehabilitation facility nearby. When that gets arranged, I'll mention it here.) It's kindof a long story. In short, Grandma has been living alone for almost 15 years, insisting on being independent...but the time has come for her to receive regular care. She's diabetic, had to have a multiple-bypass surgery in May 1999, suffers from edema in one leg, and has had to use a walker for the past few years to get around. Lately, my mom had been arranging for various caregivers to visit her and do things for her, but not all of that has gone as planned. Additionally, my mom has co-owned my grandma's house since my grandfather died in August 1985, so she will need to sell the place at some point, but there's lots of touch-up work that needs to be done there.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/17/14 at 1:48 pm

Thanks all. Today my parents drove back out there again to revisit, and to make arrangements for when my grandma gets discharged. (She'll need to go to a rehabilitation facility nearby. When that gets arranged, I'll mention it here.) It's kindof a long story. In short, Grandma has been living alone for almost 15 years, insisting on being independent...but the time has come for her to receive regular care. She's diabetic, had to have a multiple-bypass surgery in May 1999, suffers from edema in one leg, and has had to use a walker for the past few years to get around. Lately, my mom had been arranging for various caregivers to visit her and do things for her, but not all of that has gone as planned. Additionally, my mom has co-owned my grandma's house since my grandfather died in August 1985, so she will need to sell the place at some point, but there's lots of touch-up work that needs to be done there.

There are some really good assisted living facilities around.  She still has some independence but there are people there to help her when she needs it.  Isn't she in her 90s?  If I am remember this right, she has done pretty good being alone this long. 

Written By: Dagwood on 02/17/14 at 1:49 pm

I just went out to buy a couple of pairs of pants for work.  I walk in and the entire store is 40% off...woohoo, I think, especially since one of the pairs is $80.  Then I saw a cute top so I basically spent the 40%.  :D

Written By: warped on 02/17/14 at 2:51 pm

Sorry to hear around your grandma.
After she goes to rehab...and considering her other health issues and I believe she is in her 90s,  have your parents considered placing her in a senior's home or retirement home?  It's expensive (at least it is in Canada) but it is something to consider at this stage  :-\\

Written By: Ripley on 02/17/14 at 5:45 pm

I'm sorry this happened Jeff.  I hate when one of my grandparents has a medical issue, even a minor one.  It makes me worry and have trouble sleeping.  They helped raise me so I am as close to them as my mom.  I hope your grandmother gets better soon and things work out with getting her some assistance. 

Written By: valleyroads on 02/17/14 at 7:41 pm

Hugs for Jeff and his parents, and best of wishes to his grandma.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/14 at 7:47 pm

I will keep her in my prayers. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/17/14 at 8:21 pm

Prayers Jeff!

Written By: nally on 02/17/14 at 11:52 pm

Thanks all... and my parents found out some additional information today, including possible facilities for short term care; when they got home, they told me details about what they found out. I will talk more about it tomorrow when I have the time.

Written By: valleyroads on 02/18/14 at 2:44 am

Forgot to mention that I was at an art show on Valentine's Day night and sold 8 notecard prints.  8)

Written By: valleyroads on 02/18/14 at 4:48 am

I am finding metronome use @ 80 beats per minute to be beneficial to my mind and sanity. Let's hope this is a long-term effective solution to my mind racing.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/18/14 at 9:23 am

Finally getting a warm up here in Indy, which will most likely cause some level of flooding in some areas.

It didn't get warm enough often enough to melt after the previous winter storms.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/14 at 10:51 am

Thanks all... and my parents found out some additional information today, including possible facilities for short term care; when they got home, they told me details about what they found out. I will talk more about it tomorrow when I have the time.

It is always tough. Had to do that with my mother & father-in-law. My father REFUSED to go to any kind of facilities which made it even harder because he didn't receive the care he SHOULD have gotten.

My advice is to read reviews. There are many websites out there that have reviews on short-term facilities, long-term facilities, etc. Don't just take one website's word. Check around. Keep in mind that there will ALWAYS been some disgruntle person. It is not an easy decision. Good-luck with it and you & your family are in my thoughts.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/18/14 at 3:38 pm

Finally getting a warm up here in Indy, which will most likely cause some level of flooding in some areas.

It didn't get warm enough often enough to melt after the previous winter storms.

NYC will see a warm up by Thursday and Friday temperatures will be in the upper 40's-low 50's. That should be enough to melt some snow.

Written By: nally on 02/18/14 at 7:01 pm

It is always tough. Had to do that with my mother & father-in-law. My father REFUSED to go to any kind of facilities which made it even harder because he didn't receive the care he SHOULD have gotten.

My advice is to read reviews. There are many websites out there that have reviews on short-term facilities, long-term facilities, etc. Don't just take one website's word. Check around. Keep in mind that there will ALWAYS been some disgruntle person. It is not an easy decision. Good-luck with it and you & your family are in my thoughts.

Cat

Thanks Cat. In fact, on Sunday night and Monday morning, my parents even read some reviews on various places, and even checked around, like you suggested.

And by the way, my grandma's condition seems worse than initially thought. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/19/14 at 7:18 am

Thanks Cat. In fact, on Sunday night and Monday morning, my parents even read some reviews on various places, and even checked around, like you suggested.

And by the way, my grandma's condition seems worse than initially thought. :\'(

sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition.  :(

Written By: Step-chan on 02/19/14 at 5:51 pm

NYC will see a warm up by Thursday and Friday temperatures will be in the upper 40's-low 50's. That should be enough to melt some snow.

It'll be around 60 tommorrow(yesterday and today still gave a decent enough start in melting) with a chance of thunderstorms where I'm at.

That should help greatly in clearing a good chunk of the snow. although I think most of the huge mounds of snow are going to be partially intact.

Written By: nally on 02/19/14 at 6:46 pm

sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition.  :(

Yep. And I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but the prognosis was not looking very good...which is sad. :\'(

Still, we're doing what we can.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/14 at 8:00 pm

It'll be around 60 tomorrow(yesterday and today still gave a decent enough start in melting) with a chance of thunderstorms where I'm at.

That should help greatly in clearing a good chunk of the snow. although I think most of the huge mounds of snow are going to be partially intact.

If NYC doesn't get a huge rainstorm then these mountains of snow isn't going anywhere.
Friday is supposed to rain hard so we'll see about the melting.

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/14 at 8:03 pm

If NYC doesn't get a huge rainstorm then these mountains of snow isn't going anywhere.

Most of the snow is melted at my house.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/19/14 at 8:09 pm

Don't expect it to melt quickly, Howard.  As much snow as you have, it will take a while.  Even with rain and warm.

Written By: warped on 02/19/14 at 8:14 pm

Don't expect it to melt quickly, Howard.  As much snow as you have, it will take a while.  Even with rain and warm.

It will be a terrible spring for floods and river banks overflowing, creeks and streams too coz of all this snow. Hope the manhole covers are clear so all the snow that melts will go into the sewer instead of on the street.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/14 at 8:34 pm

Most of the snow is melted at my house.

same here, It takes time to melt fast.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/14 at 8:35 pm

It will be a terrible spring for floods and river banks overflowing, creeks and streams too coz of all this snow. Hope the manhole covers are clear so all the snow that melts will go into the sewer instead of on the street.

plus you have the tremendous amounts of potholes.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/14 at 8:18 am

Yep. And I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but the prognosis was not looking very good...which is sad. :\'(

Sorry to hear this Jeff

Written By: Howard on 02/20/14 at 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear this.  :(

Written By: nally on 02/20/14 at 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear this Jeff

Sorry to hear this.  :(

thanks. Today, my mom drove to various hospice centers to see which one might be the best fit for her mother. She'd done some research last night and spoke to one person on the phone to find out some details. And today, like I said, she visited them in person.

Written By: karen on 02/21/14 at 9:39 am

went to London yesterday with Elizabeth and James.

We saw the changing of the guard at Horseguards Parade (well mainly lots of horses bums)

Then we went across to look around Banqueting House a former royal palace where Charles 1 was executed.  The ceiling is amazing.

A quick lunch in Little Frankies (part of Frankie and Bennys chain restaurant which appear to be New York Italian but this may just be a story because we never found any in New York).

In the afternoon we went to the National Gallery.  They did free tours so we waited for one of them to start but were very disappointed by it so we dropped out.  The woman doing the talk couldn't talk loud enough for the entire group to hear and she walked so fast between exhibits that people in the group struggled to keep up (even though she arranged for folding chairs for some of the elderly people in the group  ::) )  I wished we had just paid for the map and done our own thing.

Our main reason for going to London was to go to a late afternoon seminar by the Fulbright Commission.  It was all about applying to study in the US.  Elizabeth is really keen to do this and James also thinks it would be a good idea (though he has plenty of time to change his mind!).  The talk had lots of information about the application process (which is very different from the UK system) and also how to choose a college to suit your needs.  It looks like they will be able to give the school advice on their side of things as well which is great.

Then we caught the train home.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/14 at 11:46 am

Sounds like full day Karen

You know of she chooses a certain party school in the best state in the west she will have someone to look out for her  ;)

Written By: valleyroads on 02/21/14 at 1:53 pm

Nice day with chance of thundershowers, feeling pretty good, slept well.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/14 at 3:40 pm

Nice day with chance of thundershowers, feeling pretty good, slept well.

we had showers here and a lot of snow melt.

Written By: karen on 02/22/14 at 10:40 am

Sounds like full day Karen

You know of she chooses a certain party school in the best state in the west she will have someone to look out for her  ;)

She's not going there to party  >:(

;D

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 12:02 am

So this afternoon we went to a wedding; a couple friends we know from church (who are both in their 50s) tied the knot; we also went to their reception, where we had a good time. I even went out on the dance floor and tried a few dancing moves for the first time in years.

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/14 at 3:51 am

She's not going there to party  >:(

;D

;D 

we also have a great educational merits...nobel prize winners and everything...
what is she thinking about studying?

Written By: karen on 02/23/14 at 2:57 pm

;D 

we also have a great educational merits...nobel prize winners and everything...
what is she thinking about studying?

She doesn't know - which is why the US liberal arts courses appeal to her.  In the UK you specify at the start what course subject you are going to study.  Obviously you can choose some options within that subject area but you really cannot easily change "majors" (to use the US term).

Written By: karen on 02/23/14 at 3:01 pm

Orienteering yesterday and today.

Yesterday we went to a nearby country park. First of all we acted as guinea pigs for a new coach who was being assessed.  He had some compass bearing/distance pacing exercises for us.  Then we did a short course around the park.

Today we went a bit further afield to the Peak District.  Good courses but the underfoot conditions made it hard going.  Low brambles and lots of soft ground made it tiring to try running at all.

Back to work/school tomorrow  :-\\

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 8:21 pm

So this afternoon we went to a wedding; a couple friends we know from church (who are both in their 50s) tied the knot; we also went to their reception, where we had a good time. I even went out on the dance floor and tried a few dancing moves for the first time in years.

I hope you had a nice time.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 8:27 pm

I hope you had a nice time.  :)

We did. We were initially thinking of skipping the reception and traveling 50-60 miles east to see my grandma once again, but we decided not to, since we knew by then that Grandma was under constant care and under sedation. And I'm glad we went to the reception. :) (Besides, my parents drove out to see my grandma this morning, while I went to church and prayed.)

This couple, by the way, regularly attends church services at the San Buenaventura Mission, and they are both friendly people. The bride, who works as a geriatric nurse, has been a real close friend to my mother, especially during the past few weeks.

I even took a few pictures; however, I'm not sure when I'll be ready to share any, given all the crazy stuff that's happening in my life right now.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 10:00 pm

We did. We were initially thinking of skipping the reception and traveling 50-60 miles east to see my grandma once again, but we decided not to, since we knew by then that Grandma was under constant care and under sedation. And I'm glad we went to the reception. :) (Besides, my parents drove out to see my grandma this morning, while I went to church and prayed.)

This couple, by the way, regularly attends church services at the San Buenaventura Mission, and they are both friendly people. The bride, who works as a geriatric nurse, has been a real close friend to my mother, especially during the past few weeks.

I even took a few pictures; however, I'm not sure when I'll be ready to share any, given all the crazy stuff that's happening in my life right now.

I'll be happy to see them when you decide to post, but take your time  :)

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 10:26 pm

I'll be happy to see them when you decide to post, but take your time  :)

Sure thing. I even have pictures from before Christmas that I still have not downloaded into the computer.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 10:27 pm

Sure thing. I even have pictures from before Christmas that I still have not downloaded into the computer.

These will be nice to see as well.

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 10:31 pm

These will be nice to see as well.

I may post some to my Facebook profile first, depending on how I feel. I like to do that anyways so that I can post their URL's inside of the (url)(/url) tags. I don't have a Photobucket or Flickr account, although I have contemplated getting one for the past few years.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 10:52 pm

I thought about getting a flickr but I don't have a good camera  :P

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:09 pm

I have had the same digital camera for the past 6+ years (I got it for Christmas in 2007), and it takes good pictures. Sometimes I have to experiment with the various settings to see which one(s) produce the best results. With a digital camera, you can delete bad pictures and not worry about having to print 'em.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:13 pm

I have had the same digital camera for the past 6+ years (I got it for Christmas in 2007), and it takes good pictures. Sometimes I have to experiment with the various settings to see which one(s) produce the best results. With a digital camera, you can delete bad pictures and not worry about having to print 'em.

Do you have a printer at home for the pics or do you take it to get developed? 

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:15 pm

Do you have a printer at home for the pics or do you take it to get developed?

I put 'em on a CD and take it to a place to get the pictures printed, like Walgreens or Costco.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:16 pm

I put 'em on a CD and take it to a place to get the pictures printed, like Walgreens or Costco.

If I get one I'll get a photo printer so that I won't have to wait to print them.  :P

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:17 pm

If I get one I'll get a photo printer so that I won't have to wait to print them.  :P

We do have a printer on which we can print photos, but we can't really afford lots of printer ink for just that purpose.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:20 pm

We do have a printer on which we can print photos, but we can't really afford lots of printer ink for just that purpose.

I know, it's expensive.

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:29 pm

I know, it's expensive.

All the more reason I take 'em to a store to get printed.

The last time I did that was in September, when I had 256 total pictures printed. Most of them were from the cruise trip I took last April, but there were others from before and after that time. Also, this was at Costco, which charges a reasonable rate per print (13 cents apiece, but during the summer they sometimes have a 9-cent-per-print deal).

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:34 pm

Sometimes I miss Polaroids.  I mean digital looks much more clear but getting the picture automatically was cool  :D

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:38 pm

Sometimes I miss Polaroids.  I mean digital looks much more clear but getting the picture automatically was cool  :D

oh yeah, I even had one, albeit briefly, in the 90's. I received it as a Christmas gift from my uncle in 1993... but the following month, after the Northridge earthquake hit, our mobile home was severely damaged and we needed to take pictures of the damage to send to our insurance company, so we used all our cameras we had on hand, including my Polaroid. I think we got rid of it shortly thereafter; besides, I think the film used in Polaroids was rather expensive.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:47 pm

oh yeah, I even had one, albeit briefly, in the 90's. I received it as a Christmas gift from my uncle in 1993... but the following month, after the Northridge earthquake hit, our mobile home was severely damaged and we needed to take pictures of the damage to send to our insurance company, so we used all our cameras we had on hand, including my Polaroid. I think we got rid of it shortly thereafter; besides, I think the film used in Polaroids was rather expensive.

Do you remember this?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PN2XKGVQL._SX355_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418ENXWN5QL.jpg

Written By: nally on 02/23/14 at 11:48 pm

Do you remember this?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PN2XKGVQL._SX355_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418ENXWN5QL.jpg

Not really. :-\\

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 11:51 pm

It was fun.  You print the pictures out and it was sticky so you could put it on a notebook etc.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/14 at 7:02 am

What camera do you have?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/14 at 10:15 am

If you decide to get a camera, I recommend a Canon. You can get a low end for well under $100 and a used one even less. Of course you can get a REALLY high end one for boocoo bucks. (Mine is a mid-range one. It cost me between $300-$400 dollars). And if you plan to print out your pics, I also recommend a Canon printer. (I'm not partial to Canon am I? lol) 

I have a MG5220 printer. When I looking for a printer I wanted to get something for about $100. The MG5220 was above that-about $150 or so. After I did all my research, I had decided the MG5220 was the one that I wanted and I figured I would just pay the extra. The funny thing was, I had a page open with it on Amazon, and when I refresh the page, the price went DOWN! WHAT??!!!!  :o :o :o :o  Was I seeing that correctly? So, I refresh the page again and once again the price went DOWN!!! It was literally going down before my eyes. So, I ended up only paying $100 for it-which was the price range that I wanted to go for. And the quality of the photos it prints out is MAGNIFICENT!!! It is hard to believe that it was printed on a home printer.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/14 at 11:41 am

I have a cannon, a Nikon and 2 sony cyber shots.

I like the cannon- it takes great pics but it's bulky it's not a dslr but shaped like one. (So is my Nikon)
My sonys are pocket digital. I use the cannon at Paley event but the sony's for the celeb photo ops.
I never use the Nikon any more. I found it was unreliable.

My photo printer is costco.com  ;D
I find they have the best over all quality. And their prices can't be beat...and I never have to deal with the ink cartridges  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/14 at 6:53 pm

Waitress:  Have a blessed day

Me: (to Sig). That seems to be the thing to say now, what's it all about?

Sig:  It's just an easy way of make it look like you've found God and you care.  I've been thinking about that, though.  Maybe we should make more of an effort to get closer to God.  How do you feel about snakes?

:D

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/14 at 7:08 pm

What camera do you have?

Just the one on my phone.  It's an old style flip phone, which I am not ashamed of!  :) 
I have heard that Canon is good.  One of these days I will get one.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/14 at 7:23 pm

Waitress:  Have a blessed day

Me: (to Sig). That seems to be the thing to say now, what's it all about?

Sig:  It's just an easy way of make it look like you've found God and you care.  I've been thinking about that, though.  Maybe we should make more of an effort to get closer to God.  How do you feel about snakes?

:D

what was that all about?

Written By: nally on 02/24/14 at 9:24 pm

Well, as I just mentioned on the "Parents/Family Are Failing" thread, my grandma has passed on. She went out peacefully this morning, sometime around 10am Pacific Time. :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/14 at 9:27 pm

Well, as I just mentioned on the "Parents/Family Are Failing" thread, my grandma has passed on. She went out peacefully this morning, sometime around 10am Pacific Time. :\'(

Like I said in the other thread, I am so sorry.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/14 at 3:36 am

what was that all about?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake-salvation-pastor-bite/

(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.
Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middlesboro police said.
On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NFAUhWJEHtc

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 8:48 am

sorry for your loss Jeff.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 8:49 am

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake-salvation-pastor-bite/

(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.
Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middlesboro police said.
On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFAUhWJEHtc

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/14 at 2:00 pm

My condolences to you and your family Jeff

Written By: nally on 02/25/14 at 7:37 pm

Thanks, Howard and Q.

Tomorrow my parents will meet with the folks at the mortuary to decide on a date for the funeral...which means that if it's on a weekday, I will have to be absent from my accounting class for a full day in order to attend. I already let my instructor know about this (gave him a heads-up).
In fact, I'm doing quite well with my coursework in the accounting class; I'm learning about some more "complex" things, like the general ledger, and how it connects with the general journal and things like that.

Written By: Katluver on 02/27/14 at 5:29 pm

I received this heart-shaped jewellery set as a gift, which isn't my style so I put it up on eBay a few days ago.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if anybody would actually bid on it but it got sold...for $0.01! 
Yippee!!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/14 at 6:27 pm

I received this heart-shaped jewellery set as a gift, which isn't my style so I put it up on eBay a few days ago.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if anybody would actually bid on it but it got sold...for $0.01! 

One cent? Oh man. When we started out, we would put things up for 99 cents. Some things sold for that amount-much to our disappointment. Now, we don't put anything up for less than $9.99. My problem with eBay is that I will have an item up, and get LOTS of watchers-and then it ends without a bid! Oy vey! You would think that out of 15 people SOMEONE would bid on it. And another thing that gets me are people who watch stuff that have a Buy It Now on it. What are they expecting to see? I can see watching to see if the bidding goes up, but the price will ALWAYS be the same with a BIN. I just don't get it!

Sorry, maybe this should have been in the Rants R Us thread.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 02/27/14 at 6:42 pm

My problem with eBay is that I will have an item up, and get LOTS of watchers-and then it ends without a bid! Oy vey! You would think that out of 15 people SOMEONE would bid on it.

I hear you---that would be a frustrating experience for me if I had 15 people watching. I normally list my items as $0.01 because I would expect people to be drawn in by the low price of the item...

Written By: snozberries on 02/27/14 at 11:48 pm

One cent? Oh man. When we started out, we would put things up for 99 cents. Some things sold for that amount-much to our disappointment. Now, we don't put anything up for less than $9.99. My problem with eBay is that I will have an item up, and get LOTS of watchers-and then it ends without a bid! Oy vey! You would think that out of 15 people SOMEONE would bid on it. And another thing that gets me are people who watch stuff that have a Buy It Now on it. What are they expecting to see? I can see watching to see if the bidding goes up, but the price will ALWAYS be the same with a BIN. I just don't get it!

Sorry, maybe this should have been in the Rants R Us thread.

Cat

If someone doesn't have the money to buy the item that day then they probably watch the item so they can find it easily when they get paid. 

I frequently window shop ebay and watch items that are interesting to me at the time but sometimes I forget to go back and buy them or bid on them.

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/14 at 5:40 am

If someone doesn't have the money to buy the item that day then they probably watch the item so they can find it easily when they get paid. 

I frequently window shop ebay and watch items that are interesting to me at the time but sometimes I forget to go back and buy them or bid on them.

Also...sometimes I watch the auction because I think the item or shipping is priced is too high so I will watch it to see if it sells...if it doesn't sell then I will be notified if it gets relisted...if it's relisted at a lower price then I'm more inclined to buy it...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/14 at 9:28 am

Also...sometimes I watch the auction because I think the item or shipping is priced is too high so I will watch it to see if it sells...if it doesn't sell then I will be notified if it gets relisted...if it's relisted at a lower price then I'm more inclined to buy it...

Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding eBayers. Last week I got this message:

would you take less for these

(That was the entire message.)

But the person neglected to tell us WHAT item they wanted for less-and we had about 20 items up. I wrote them back asking but they never replied.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/14 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding eBayers. Last week I got this message:

But the person neglected to tell us WHAT item they wanted for less-and we had about 20 items up. I wrote them back asking but they never replied.

Cat

If they sent the message thru a specific auction item it should have the item number or a link somewhere in the message...maybe in the subject line?

Written By: warped on 02/28/14 at 12:12 pm

Same here.

Also, same here.

Cat

I have done that before, and then forgotten about the item until after it was sold.  :(
Like snoz said, if the person did ask about the item in the right place to ask, it might be on the subject line.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/14 at 12:54 pm

If they sent the message thru a specific auction item it should have the item number or a link somewhere in the message...maybe in the subject line?

Nope. No subject line, no item number, nothing. And no response when asked. That will just be chalked up as one those bizarre eBay incidence that I can laugh at.

BTW, I have doing eBay long enough (8 years) to know to look at the subject line.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/28/14 at 4:06 pm

Wow one cent? That's incredible.

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/14 at 5:00 pm

Wow one cent? That's incredible.

Incredible for the buyer....not so much for the seller (katluver) hopefully the buyer has to pay for selling.  In this instance I approve although I almost never bid on an item that has shipping costs attached.

It has to be an extremely rare item for me to be willing to pay shipping .... And I have to really need/want it in order to pay high shipping. I won't buy it if shipping is more than the item ( I've seen that before) or incongruous with the auction list price. 

Written By: Katluver on 02/28/14 at 6:08 pm

Incredible for the buyer....not so much for the seller (katluver) hopefully the buyer has to pay for selling.  In this instance I approve although I almost never bid on an item that has shipping costs attached.

It has to be an extremely rare item for me to be willing to pay shipping .... And I have to really need/want it in order to pay high shipping. I won't buy it if shipping is more than the item ( I've seen that before) or incongruous with the auction list price.

Hmm...normally I charge for shipping but at a low rate--now I wonder if I should have free shipping for the next item that I list...

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/14 at 9:17 pm

Hmm...normally I charge for shipping but at a low rate--now I wonder if I should have free shipping for the next item that I list...

Not if u continue to list it for a penny.

Written By: nally on 02/28/14 at 11:19 pm

Today was a busy last day of the month for me. I stayed later in my accounting class to work on some assignments that I know I can't work on on Monday (since that's when my grandma's funeral will be). So when I return on Tuesday, the material shouldn't be too foreign to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...