inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sheesh, Guys.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/24/14 at 8:03 pm

It's been a while since I have actively posted on this good ol' forum. I come back to lurk and pathetically weep all over my keyboard when I am feeling especially nostalgic for my mid to late teenage years. The Playful Penguin Place is a ghost town now, though. I remember when I couldn't keep a thread on the first page to save my life, but now there are, like, three months worth of "Feel Any Way (insert month)" threads on the first page. Crazy! I blame Facebook and Twitter, those dirty bastard slags.

Anyway, I miss this place, and especially the days when it was hoppin'.

Subject: Re: Sheesh, Guys.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/14 at 10:33 pm

inthe00s is older than Facebook AND Twitter!! Take that Facebook and Twitter!  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/14 at 12:07 am

It's been a while since I have actively posted on this good ol' forum. I come back to lurk and pathetically weep all over my keyboard when I am feeling especially nostalgic for my mid to late teenage years. The Playful Penguin Place is a ghost town now, though. I remember when I couldn't keep a thread on the first page to save my life, but now there are, like, three months worth of "Feel Any Way (insert month)" threads on the first page. Crazy! I blame Facebook and Twitter, those dirty bastard slags.

Skip over the (pages and pages) of threads that contain one-word answers and get caught up.  The PPP and Walrus boards have degenerated into threads that mostly contain one-word answers, but there's still content on the rest of the boards, you just have to wade through a lot of stuff to get to it, but what's still here is still worth reading.  We miss ya and the place could use the help.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/14 at 12:43 am

you missed quite a bit of drama that sent the pioneers packing...  the good old days are but a faint mystery. I applaud your efforts to try and bring them back tho!

welcome back

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/14 at 9:27 am

I, too miss the old days of the board. Many people have jumped ship because they think that Facebook is sooooo much better.  ::)

There are a few of us who have never left-and probably never will. It is us few that really keep this place alive but it definitely not as active as it once was. I do hope that it will once again become the message board of old.

I can hope.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/14 at 10:35 am

I find Facebook excellent for instant messaging between family that are on the other side of the world, and I hardly use email now.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/14 at 12:41 pm

I sometimes wonder why I am still here on this site, but I have been here for many years and though I don't want to give up on this place, I don't get that exciting feeling I used to get when I come here  :-\\

I still on occasion post in the decades forum, but the topics that I'd like to post in are hard to do for reasons that I won't go on about.  I still like this place and hope it sticks around for many years to come

Written By: warped on 04/25/14 at 1:40 pm

I sometimes wonder why I am still here on this site, but I have been here for many years and though I don't want to give up on this place, I don't get that exciting feeling I used to get when I come here  :-\\

Same here. I was away for almost 4 weeks recently.

I still on occasion post in the decades forum, but the topics that I'd like to post in are hard to do for reasons that I won't go on about.

;)

I find Facebook excellent for instant messaging between family that are on the other side of the world, and I hardly use email now.

I like Facebook because of that reason....and on facebook I don't usually have to read about how 1995 is like 1972, or what is the mid point of a decade, or other stupid topics. And if there is a post on facebook I don't like, I just click on "ignore" it, and I never have to see it again. It's gone...bye bye!!! (Usually a "any religious" hating or Obama or Republicans hating) Can't do that here

No trolls on facebook, no people posting just to irritate others on facebook. (And if they appear...they are gone from my life with one "click")
On facebook, no attention seeking drama queens who just won't shut up...
No "Like Hi..Fer sure" type posts.
No one arguing wherether someone born in 1983 is an 80s kid or not

Facebook is a safer/fun place..at least for me.  But I still like this place. Like Whistledog said, just not as much.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/14 at 3:58 pm

nice to see you again Beth. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/25/14 at 3:59 pm

inthe00s is older than Facebook AND Twitter!! Take that Facebook and Twitter!  8)

16 years old.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/14 at 4:00 pm

I, too miss the old days of the board. Many people have jumped ship because they think that Facebook is sooooo much better.  ::)

There are a few of us who have never left-and probably never will. It is us few that really keep this place alive but it definitely not as active as it once was. I do hope that it will once again become the message board of old.

I can hope.  :-\\

Cat

at least we try.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/14 at 4:01 pm

I still on occasion post in the decades forum, but the topics that I'd like to post in are hard to do for reasons that I won't go on about.  I still like this place and hope it sticks around for many years to come

I've been on here for almost 13 years and I still enjoy being here. :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/14 at 5:51 pm

There's an instant gratification you get w FB that just isn't here.

You post a photo or make a comment usually it's liked instantly and someone has something meaningful or funny to say.

If I say something here 8 ppl will see it and maybe someone will comment

I find the conversations here redundant and often boring. Mostly I come back out of habit and it's rare but sometimes someone says something interesting or funny.

I find I currently have more topics on my ignore list than on my show new replies to my post list.

The only thread I'm really interested in reading is the what's up this month thread because it's basically this boards version of FB.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/14 at 6:07 pm

16 years old.

Wow!!

Written By: warped on 04/25/14 at 7:47 pm

I find I currently have more topics on my ignore list than on my show new replies to my post list.

We can create an ignore list??
I didnt know that. Please pm me the details as to how..
Thanks.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/14 at 9:18 pm

We can create an ignore list??
I didnt know that. Please pm me the details as to how..
Thanks.

Click on show replies to my posts. 

Next to each topic is a box. One marks all topics read another marks them unread.
The third option is ignore topic.

Go down the list of threads you've commented in and if you are no longer interested in that topic then put a check mark next to it. Once all the desired boxes on that page have been selected click Ignore Topic.

That way. Whenever you select show new replies to my posts those threads will not appear.

This will not remove them from the boards. Ie if I choose to ignore the I have no life so let me tell you what I ate/bought/got in the mail threads in www they will still show up when I go to www but they don't show up on my new replies page.

Basically I stay away from the big boards I look at new new replies to topics I've posted in and new topics started if they interest me I read them if they don't I don't read them.  If I post in one then get tired of it ... I click  ignore them.  I only go to the individual boards unless I'm looking for something specific.

Written By: warped on 04/25/14 at 10:08 pm

Snoz, I don't where to find all of this ( I tried looking for it)
I have sent you a pm for help in this
Thanks.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/14 at 1:07 am

There's an instant gratification you get w FB that just isn't here.

The problem with FB is that it has the memory of a goldfish.

A well-curated forum has a memory that lasts for years.  When people here actually talk about stuff, the content is pretty awesome, and everyone learns something.  Not just us in our own little forum bubble, but random passers-by that might land here via a google search for some piece of obscure information that only we have managed to figure out.

Delete all cookies and pretend to be a n00b landing here for the first time, and you'll discover that 80% of the most recent threads are indistinguishable from the output of a spambot.  I've whined about the signal/noise issue here several years ago, and I've just learned to live with it.  Not my board, not my rules, I'm not paying a cent for this, which makes me a guest here.  It doesn't take me long to skip over the fluff anymore.  It still bugs me to know that if 2014-me googled something and ended up here today instead of in 2006, a glance at the "unread topics" (delete your cookies or log out first to see it from a n00b's eye view!) would lead me to conclude that there was nothing here but spambots.  It amuses 2014-me to know that for every time I see a page of 20 topics, scan the posting times in 2 seconds, and close the window without reading a thread, an actual human being posted every one of those threads manually.  Of course, I've just spent more time writing this paragraph and probably written more words in it than the people cutting and pasting dictionary words spent in the most recently-updated 200 threads, so who's really wasting my time whining about postflation threads again?  Right.  Me! :)

I landed here on a google search almost 10 years ago and found lots of content, so I stuck around.  That's where my bias on signal/noise comes from.  I continue to stick around because the people here are cool, even if their idea of fun is different than mine.

If there are any n00bs who stumble over this post - stick around.  We solve the kind of obscure pop culture problems that people you already know through Failbook can't.  If you're not sticking around to see what we can do, it's not because we suck and Facebook rocks, it's because Wikipedia, RapGenius, YouTube, and innumerable lyric sites and dedicated toy/collectible forums that didn't exist 5-10 years ago are answering your questions before you get desperate enough to ask us. 

Because as much of a quiet backwater as this little forum has become, we'll still be here to answer your pop-culture questions in the event that the rest of the internet hasn't already figured it out.  Join us.  We're nice once you get to know us.

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/14 at 1:18 am

Snoz, I don't where to find all of this ( I tried looking for it)
I have sent you a pm for help in this
Thanks.

I sent you a pm response with pics :-)

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/14 at 1:29 am

The problem with FB is that it has the memory of a goldfish.

A well-curated forum has a memory that lasts for years.  When people here actually talk about stuff, the content is pretty awesome, and everyone learns something.  Not just us in our own little forum bubble, but random passers-by that might land here via a google search for some piece of obscure information that only we have managed to figure out.

Delete all cookies and pretend to be a n00b landing here for the first time, and you'll discover that 80% of the most recent threads are indistinguishable from the output of a spambot.  I've whined about the signal/noise issue here several years ago, and I've just learned to live with it.  Not my board, not my rules, I'm not paying a cent for this, which makes me a guest here.  It doesn't take me long to skip over the fluff anymore.  It still bugs me to know that if 2014-me googled something and ended up here today instead of in 2006, a glance at the "unread topics" (delete your cookies or log out first to see it from a n00b's eye view!) would lead me to conclude that there was nothing here but spambots.  It amuses 2014-me to know that for every time I see a page of 20 topics, scan the posting times in 2 seconds, and close the window without reading a thread, an actual human being posted every one of those threads manually.  Of course, I've just spent more time writing this paragraph and probably written more words in it than the people cutting and pasting dictionary words spent in the most recently-updated 200 threads, so who's really wasting my time whining about postflation threads again?  Right.  Me! :)

I landed here on a google search almost 10 years ago and found lots of content, so I stuck around.  That's where my bias on signal/noise comes from.  I continue to stick around because the people here are cool, even if their idea of fun is different than mine.

If there are any n00bs who stumble over this post - stick around.  We solve the kind of obscure pop culture problems that people you already know through Failbook can't.  If you're not sticking around to see what we can do, it's not because we suck and Facebook rocks, it's because Wikipedia, RapGenius, YouTube, and innumerable lyric sites and dedicated toy/collectible forums that didn't exist 5-10 years ago are answering your questions before you get desperate enough to ask us. 

Because as much of a quiet backwater as this little forum has become, we'll still be here to answer your pop-culture questions in the event that the rest of the internet hasn't already figured it out.  Join us.  We're nice once you get to know us.

I hear what you are saying but the quality of exchange of ideas is not what it used to be. I very rarely go back and re-read threads so I have no need to find them.  The interaction I have on FB is with people I want to talk with (many of whom I used to interact with here) rather than a handful of people I want to talk with and an overload of posts from people who annoy me. 

I'm not saying I've given up here but, for me, it's more like perusing my email and sifting through spam rather than really getting anything out of it any longer. 

Written By: Henk on 04/26/14 at 1:54 am

Nice to see you again, Beth! :)

Yeah, pretty much what everyone before me posted here. The boards have changed and I, too, sometimes find myself wondering why I'm still around. Probably only nostalgia keeping me here... I used to enjoy the Quizzes section, but it looks like just about everybody has given up on that. On the other hand: I'm not doing a very good job in keeping things alive either, so yeah...you reap what you sow.

I feel one of the main changes that have swept the boards is the fact that they've become more serious. A lot of the people that were around when I first joined (in 2005) were genuinely funny, or just plain silly. Others responded to that, and it kept things lively. But people left for various reasons: the younger folk grew up, some found something of a life and someone died (I think we all still miss Isabel :\'( ).
The people that replaced them just weren't as funny (no offense). And then there are some dinosaurs people that enjoy being confined to their private playing ground the PBG.  :D

But seriously... those "olden days" will never come back, mainly because they exist only in our nostalgia-tinted memories. (Yeah, I too have grown up - somewhat).

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/14 at 2:23 am

the Quizzes section

Your "find the artist/author out of this set of obscure tracks" quizzes took a lot of work to create and manage, but they were a lot of fun.  Thanks for those. 

I feel one of the main changes that have swept the boards is the fact that they've become more serious.

Yeah, a big RIP to those who can't be with us, and best wishes to those who left of their own accord for elsewhere.  Ten years is a long time, and some of us have been here for a decaO GOD DONT HIT ME WITH THE BIG STICK-and after a number approximating ten years, it's not so much that we realized we were all growing up, it's that we realized we were all getting old. 

http://i.imgur.com/VAreADe.jpg

Y0zsNukwNQM
  - Telex, We Are All Getting Old, 1980.

LaNNbGgUGeY
  - Judas Priest, Parental Guidance, 1986.

To the Xers: "We could lose twenty years, right away, so they say?"
To the Millenials: "Is this message getting through?  You'll go through the same thing too!"
To myself: The line "Until your three-piece suit comes back in date" stings as hard today as it did ~20 years ago when I wore one.

Written By: Henk on 04/26/14 at 2:41 am

Your "find the artist/author out of this set of obscure tracks" quizzes took a lot of work to create and manage, but they were a lot of fun.  Thanks for those. 

Thanks. I don't always enjoy making them (because of the work involved), but the end result makes it all worthwhile. So who knows, maybe one of these days...

Ah, Telex! The quite risqué Belgian entry for the ESC that same year. It earned them a third-to-last place. The world just wasn't ready, I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USa0zUMmqI

Telex - Euro-Vision

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/14 at 2:48 am

Yeah, a big RIP to those who can't be with us, and best wishes to those who left of their own accord for elsewhere.  Ten years is a long time, and some of us have been here for a decaO GOD DONT HIT ME WITH THE BIG STICK-and after a number approximating ten years, it's not so much that we realized we were all growing up, it's that we realized we were all getting old. 

http://i.imgur.com/VAreADe.jpg

Y0zsNukwNQM

LaNNbGgUGeY
  - Judas Priest, Parental Guidance, 1986.

To the Xers: "We could lose twenty years, right away, so they say?"
To the Millenials: "Is this message getting through?  You'll go through the same thing too!"
To myself: The line "Until your three-piece suit comes back in date" stings as hard today as it did ~20 years ago when I wore one.

I wanna steal innocent children's souls for my own narcissistic, vain, and shallow youth. I'm going to use their essences to grab back any lost physical energy I have lost over my short 25 years of life! Their virginal souls will be a sacrifice to my master and leader Sata...., oops, I mean...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO5nbrHGoo1EJzvbdZWL3epdYSLuQVHLdnJjSeTnNkMQSi70yaoA

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/14 at 2:55 am

I hear what you are saying but the quality of exchange of ideas is not what it used to be. I very rarely go back and re-read threads so I have no need to find them.  The interaction I have on FB is with people I want to talk with (many of whom I used to interact with here)

I know that feel bro (sis) but that leads me towards more of my beef with FB and the culture that came with it.  It's sucked up a lot of people from forums where they were joined by a common interest in, say, pop culture (with occasional dumping ground sub-boards for politics) and turned them into places where the IRL drama associated with their IRL identities and friends are paramount, and the original interest is secondary.

If Google has partially supplanted our need for information, social networks like FB's have partially supplanted the individual's need to be part of a community.  It's not my thing, but I admit it's a thing.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/14 at 2:57 am

I wanna steal innocent children's souls for my own narcissistic, vain, and shallow youth. I'm going to use their essences to grab back any lost physical energy I have lost over my short 25 years of life! Their virginal souls will be a sacrifice to my master and leader Sata...., oops, I mean...

HAIL THAT CHICK WHO WAS INTO CHAINS AND FIRE AND SNAKES!

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/14 at 3:21 am

Nice to see you again, Beth! :)

Yeah, pretty much what everyone before me posted here. The boards have changed and I, too, sometimes find myself wondering why I'm still around. Probably only nostalgia keeping me here... I used to enjoy the Quizzes section, but it looks like just about everybody has given up on that. On the other hand: I'm not doing a very good job in keeping things alive either, so yeah...you reap what you sow.

I feel one of the main changes that have swept the boards is the fact that they've become more serious. A lot of the people that were around when I first joined (in 2005) were genuinely funny, or just plain silly. Others responded to that, and it kept things lively. But people left for various reasons: the younger folk grew up, some found something of a life and someone died (I think we all still miss Isabel :\'( ).
The people that replaced them just weren't as funny (no offense). And then there are some dinosaurs people that enjoy being confined to their private playing ground the PBG.  :D

But seriously... those "olden days" will never come back, mainly because they exist only in our nostalgia-tinted memories. (Yeah, I too have grown up - somewhat).

I agree the discussions seem much more serious these days and any attempts at light hearted good-natured fun fall flat... people try but there's not enough to sustain them.

for me tho I think it's the inherent whininess of the new regulars...the constant complaining about such inane, insignificant matters as tho the world has slid on it's axis. I'm not saying the occassional rant about something that impacted your day isn't welcome... hell we all do it. but some people act like their world will fall apart because the donut shop is out of a particular flavor of coffee or they had to go to do errands they didn't want to do.... or you know.... they went to work and had to actually do work...  really.....that's rant worthy???  I just get tired of it.

aw I miss Isabel too  :\'( 

Henk your quizzes, and warped's and whistle's and a select few are fun distractions and I love them....there just aren't enough of them anymore

Written By: warped on 04/26/14 at 7:20 am

I hear what you are saying but the quality of exchange of ideas is not what it used to be. I very rarely go back and re-read threads so I have no need to find them.  The interaction I have on FB is with people I want to talk with (many of whom I used to interact with here) rather than a handful of people I want to talk with and an overload of posts from people who annoy me. 

I'm not saying I've given up here but, for me, it's more like perusing my email and sifting through spam rather than really getting anything out of it any longer. 

I know exactly how you feel.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/26/14 at 9:16 am

I agree the discussions seem much more serious these days and any attempts at light hearted good-natured fun fall flat... people try but there's not enough to sustain them.

for me tho I think it's the inherent whininess of the new regulars...the constant complaining about such inane, insignificant matters as tho the world has slid on it's axis. I'm not saying the occassional rant about something that impacted your day isn't welcome... hell we all do it. but some people act like their world will fall apart because the donut shop is out of a particular flavor of coffee or they had to go to do errands they didn't want to do.... or you know.... they went to work and had to actually do work...  really.....that's rant worthy???  I just get tired of it.

This

Written By: warped on 04/26/14 at 2:15 pm

I sent you a pm response with pics :-)

Got it, I had to amend my profile a little so I could actually see the "ignore topic" list. It works now. I have ignored like 7 pages of topics already!!
Someone else showed me how to block users too so I don't have to see their irritating posts anymore.
EPIC WIN!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 04/26/14 at 4:01 pm

The boards have changed and I, too, sometimes find myself wondering why I'm still around. Probably only nostalgia keeping me here...

I like it here cause it gives me something to do. :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/27/14 at 1:19 pm

Wait... Isabel. Why does that sound familiar? Was that her name on Inthe00s or was it something else?

I will never get the same feeling from other social media websites as I got from actively posting on this forum. I remember being in school and all I could think about was coming home and talking with everyone. Facebook and Twitter are so much more...I don't know, self-absorbed, I guess. You make a status and wait for people to "like" it instead of engaging in conversation. The connections made on Facebook and Twitter just seem so much more on-the-surface than the connections made on forums. I met some amazing, life-long friends on this forum.... heck, I met my now husband on this forum, so it will always have a special place in my heart. It just makes me sad to to visit now and again and not see the same activity as I did in 2005. I am thankful that it's still around, though, because not many people can say that they have an archive of their mid-late teenage years, even though it can be slightly embarrassing to read sometimes! I would say that maybe it is just going through a bit of a slow phase, but as kids are growing up in a world of instant gratification and self-absorption, will they ever really be interested in a forum?

I guess I miss having a place to escape to from people around me. When things in my life brought me down, I always felt like I could come here and rant and no one in my life would know (well, aside from my sister, Quirk, who used to post here, too). Now, everyone I know in real life is on my Facebook, so I am kind of forced to edit what I say and act a certain way, yanno? I think I am rambling now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/14 at 1:33 pm

This board is only as good as its members. I have heard so many complaints that this place isn't as good as it used to be, etc. etc. Who's fault is that?

If we want to make it good as it used to be, why don't we? We used to have avatar contests-haven't had one in a LONG time. We could have "Best new thread" contests or something like that. Instead of bitching about what used to be, why not make it great again?

Wait... Isabel. Why does that sound familiar? Was that her name on Inthe00s or was it something else?

I will never get the same feeling from other social media websites as I got from actively posting on this forum. I remember being in school and all I could think about was coming home and talking with everyone. Facebook and Twitter are so much more...I don't know, self-absorbed, I guess. You make a status and wait for people to "like" it instead of engaging in conversation. The connections made on Facebook and Twitter just seem so much more on-the-surface than the connections made on forums. I met some amazing, life-long friends on this forum.... heck, I met my now husband on this forum, so it will always have a special place in my heart. It just makes me sad to to visit now and again and not see the same activity as I did in 2005. I am thankful that it's still around, though, because not many people can say that they have an archive of their mid-late teenage years, even though it can be slightly embarrassing to read sometimes! I would say that maybe it is just going through a bit of a slow phase, but as kids are growing up in a world of instant gratification and self-absorption, will they ever really be interesting in a forum?

Isabel was known as "Thereshegoes" & later "Dizzy." I believe she had breast cancer. We also lost Absolutely Vile.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/27/14 at 1:38 pm

This board is only as good as its members. I have heard so many complaints that this place isn't as good as it used to be, etc. etc. Who's fault is that?

If we want to make it good as it used to be, why don't we? We used to have avatar contests-haven't had one in a LONG time. We could have "Best new thread" contests or something like that. Instead of bitching about what used to be, why not make it great again?

Isabel was known as "Thereshegoes" & later "Dizzy." I believe she had breast cancer. We also lost Absolutely Vile.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

..Oh no! I remember both of them. How unbelievably sad....

Written By: Henk on 04/27/14 at 1:43 pm

..Oh no! I remember both of them. How unbelievably sad....

It was Tia who informed us about Isabel's passing.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/27/14 at 2:47 pm

That doesn't work.  Either your thread gets hijacked to the same old crap or ignored because you're thread isn't the same old same old. 

Written By: Jessica on 04/27/14 at 2:56 pm

OH HEY GUYS!  I heard people were bored and whiny and bored and whiny some more!  TA DA, MOFOS!

You brought all of this on yourselves, making me come out of lurkdom and ish like that.  I also notice I have messages waiting in my inbox, which will probably be deleted lest I fly into a rage over old things.

Enjoy the merry hell I'm going to bring back......well, when I remember to log in, because this place is in a sad state and will quite possibly bore me before I get started.

TA!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/27/14 at 3:08 pm

AWWWWWW HELL. Y'ALL DONE DID IT NOW.

http://digigum.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/comment-friday-damn.jpg?w=420&h=211

In addition, you forced me to resurrect a meme from the early 2000s.

Written By: Jessica on 04/27/14 at 3:10 pm

AWWWWWW HELL. Y'ALL DONE DID IT NOW.

http://digigum.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/comment-friday-damn.jpg?w=420&h=211

In addition, you forced me to resurrect a meme from the early 2000s.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 04/27/14 at 3:39 pm

She used to be a member on here years ago.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/14 at 3:42 pm

Yes why not? Let's bring it back again.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/14 at 3:43 pm

OH HEY GUYS!  I heard people were bored and whiny and bored and whiny some more!  TA DA, MOFOS!

You brought all of this on yourselves, making me come out of lurkdom and ish like that.  I also notice I have messages waiting in my inbox, which will probably be deleted lest I fly into a rage over old things.

Enjoy the merry hell I'm going to bring back......well, when I remember to log in, because this place is in a sad state and will quite possibly bore me before I get started.

TA!

Hey Jessica.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/14 at 5:36 pm

Cat

because every attempt to have fun gets squashed or overshadowed by the other stuff.... the fun fades or never really gets rolling to begin with.

the avatar contests started to suck because you only had a few participants. 

this thread is the most consistent posting I've done in a long time.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/27/14 at 6:10 pm

Why does this place suck now???? 

Because it is full of a bunch of lame people who cry "bully" if their name isn't typed correctly (or in the wrong forum); fun haters who squash others attempts at threads, quizzes, or even thread participation; or some just make the place a forum to place their beliefs and argue how others are dumb and wrong...

Let alone the fact that some people (long time posters) where hung out to dry.... 

This place is not full of fun laughs, live posting about nothing more than commercials and awards shows.  It does not remove me from the problems of life and make it a brief escape and some good roll on the floor laughs!  This place is mundane and Yawnsville now!  This place is looking like a small town in the dust bowl in 1940 than an active viable place in cyberspace! 

I barely post...  I come by, nothing interesting, nothing new and nothing fun.....  Just the same boring stuff...  Go forward a week or month hit repeat... 

The people that I shared laughs with are gone, or just see nothing to entertain their thoughts.  I read their thoughts and activities  on FB, in their blogs, in private message, and skyping!

Perhaps Forums have became "pop culture". 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/27/14 at 9:39 pm

the constant complaining about such inane, insignificant matters as tho the world has slid on it's axis.

You know, in their defense, my Depression-era grandparents probably said the same thing to my parents about the Crash of 1987, and one still alive at the time did say the same thing to me about the Crash of 2008.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/549/901/82e.jpg

My grandparents were right.  Neither 1929 nor 1987 nor 2008 was the end of the world.

I had similar worries about the world ending over events like KAL 007 in 1982, when the Russians shot down a civilian airliner and took out a US Congressman (and narrowly missed a former President, and/or two more Senators and a third Congressman) in the process.  That's about the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING. an enemy could do to us short of actually starting WW3, right?  And then my parents sat me down and talked about the Cuban Missile Crisis.  They didn't know how close we came to war in 1963, just as I didn't know how close we came to war in 1982, because the Russians weren't talking about that stuff either.  But in the end, the people who actually had to make the decision about whether or not to push the button actually thought about it and said "Nope, not worth it!"

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/549/887/d0e.jpg

My parents were right.  The plane was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it got shot down, and diplomats on both sides basically wrote it off as "poop happens."

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/549/905/19f.jpg

When you're younger, something that looks like a very big deal at the time, often turns out to be nothing.  That doesn't make it any less real.  Which is why 2014Foo talks to people who think the Ukrainian situation is a harbinger of WW3.  As us hip modern Xers transtion towards Old Economy Stevedom, it's our job to tell millennials why things probably aren't as bad as they fear.  It's the millennials' job to tell us things might not be as good as we think :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/27/14 at 10:08 pm

I read their thoughts and activities  on FB, in their blogs, in private message, and skyping!

Perhaps Forums have became "pop culture".

See, I don't want to know who any of you are in real life.  In that direction lies the potential for drama.  As long as I know people as nothing more than nicknames and avatars, I can know you only from what you've posted here.  By that standard, you're all pretty interesting people I enjoy hanging out with online.  Even the people -- no, especially the people -- with whom I've disagreed. 

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/14 at 10:10 pm

You know, in their defense, my Depression-era grandparents probably said the same thing to my parents about the Crash of 1987, and one still alive at the time did say the same thing to me about the Crash of 2008.

My grandparents were right.  Neither 1929 nor 1987 nor 2008 was the end of the world.

I had similar worries about the world ending over events like KAL 007 in 1982, when the Russians shot down a civilian airliner and took out a US Congressman (and narrowly missed a former President, and/or two more Senators and a third Congressman) in the process.  That's about the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING. an enemy could do to us short of actually starting WW3, right?  And then my parents sat me down and talked about the Cuban Missile Crisis.  They didn't know how close we came to war in 1963, just as I didn't know how close we came to war in 1982, because the Russians weren't talking about that stuff either.  But in the end, the people who actually had to make the decision about whether or not to push the button actually thought about it and said "Nope, not worth it!"

My parents were right.  The plane was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it got shot down, and diplomats on both sides basically wrote it off as "poop happens."

When you're younger, something that looks like a very big deal at the time, often turns out to be nothing.  That doesn't make it any less real.  Which is why 2014Foo talks to people who think the Ukrainian situation is a harbinger of WW3.  As us hip modern Xers transtion towards Old Economy Stevedom, it's our job to tell millennials why things probably aren't as bad as they fear.  It's the millennials' job to tell us things might not be as good as we think :)

no matter what the scale of the incidents you mentioned they are still important on some level 

I am actually talking the posts in the sound off board (which, granted, is there for people to complain about stuff)  but they take the most inane detail of the day and act like there was some grand plan in the universe scheming so that the donut shop ran out of their favorite flavor of coffee....... or OMG someone needs to run errands....or I don't know their boss had the audacity to do their job... It's become a daily ritual... 

oh booo hoooo you didn't your coffee.... instead of bitching about it find another flavor or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE..... 

*end rant*

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/27/14 at 10:10 pm

http://i.imgur.com/VnuKPmS.png

Yo, thanks for popping your head back in here.  Your snark brought a level of levity to this place that's sorely missed.  I try my best but I can't do it single-handedlTHAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! :)

But seriously, you're missed.  Stick around and lurk, even if you no longer have the inclination to take potshots at us anymore.  And when you do feel so inclined, please do bring back the merry hell.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/27/14 at 10:19 pm

I am actually talking the posts in the sound off board (which, granted, is there for people to complain about stuff)

True, but it's about perspective and context.  As you say, it's a rant board.  Keep that in mind and it'll make a lot more sense. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w1_E1V46M
  - MC Frontalot, First World Problem

Even the people posting them realize they're just first-world problems in comparison to the things people have ranted about.  First world problems are fun to rant about.  They're also fun to mock.  In general, mocking the problem is funnier than mocking the complainer.

199Foo: "WHAT?  NERDCORE WENT RAP INSTEAD OF SYNTHPOP!  THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!"
World: "Well, Foo, it was a late-90s thing, and nerdcore's more about the lyrics more than the melody.  You were seriously expecting Depeche Mode?"
199Foo: "Oh yeah, not only is that is that right, it's funny as hell.  I like this stuff.  And compared to people who actually have stuff to worry about"
World: "Great, now write this down, someday you're gonna hear something called 'dubstep'..."

I do not have any first world problems with my hacht, but I'm pretty sure that in this post I left a participle dangling.

Written By: Jessica on 04/27/14 at 10:28 pm

http://i.imgur.com/VnuKPmS.png

Yo, thanks for popping your head back in here.  Your snark brought a level of levity to this place that's sorely missed.  I try my best but I can't do it single-handedlTHAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! :)

But seriously, you're missed.  Stick around and lurk, even if you no longer have the inclination to take potshots at us anymore.  And when you do feel so inclined, please do bring back the merry hell.

I plan on it. :D

Thank you, Foo.  I've missed your wit and your pictures. :)

As to the other points, this is my take on it after reading through some back issues of the 00ze:

I don't think it's the whining and complaining that are bugging anyone.  It's the repetitiveness of it.  Seriously, how many times can you complain about one thing?  Why do you think your life sucks so bad that you have to post almost daily about how badly it sucks?

I was a teen once, I get angst, but when you're in your 20's/30's/40's and beyond, and you're blaring on about how life isn't fair, and you hate everyone, and why did the universe curse me with this, you should probably give it a rest and maybe solve some of these issues.  I love giving advice, and I don't mind listening to rants and vents, but if you're just going to go on and do whatever you want and not listen when you do ask for advice, then maybe you need to

http://media0.giphy.com/media/EjkDOwpmLnnwI/200_s.gif

Now I am not perfect in any way.  I know I can do my share of b*tching (my Facebook wall would prove that point in spades).  I am working on it though, and I've also found that I can use it for comedy purposes at work (you'd be amazed at the wealth of hilarity that museum guests bring to your life in between being rude and entitled azzholes).

But I'm also trying to improve my life.  I have had a lot of health issues in the past year that have scared the crap out of me, and I know that no amount of crying about it will help me until I help myself (which I'm doing, and they're resolving, slowly).

And because I'm super crashing from an epic high of coffee this morning (which is what happens after working a metric crapton of hours and not sleeping and being on Prednisone), I have lost my point.  If I find it later, I'll be sure to post it. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/14 at 10:31 pm

True, but it's about perspective and context.  As you say, it's a rant board.  Keep that in mind and it'll make a lot more sense. 

Even the people posting them realize they're just first-world problems in comparison to the things people have ranted about.  First world problems are fun to rant about.  They're also fun to mock.  In general, mocking the problem is funnier than mocking the complainer.

199Foo: "WHAT?  NERDCORE WENT RAP INSTEAD OF SYNTHPOP!  THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!"
World: "Well, Foo, it was a late-90s thing, and nerdcore's more about the lyrics more than the melody.  You were seriously expecting Depeche Mode?"
199Foo: "Oh yeah, not only is that is that right, it's funny as hell.  I like this stuff.  And compared to people who actually have stuff to worry about"
World: "Great, now write this down, someday you're gonna hear something called 'dubstep'..."

I do not have any first world problems with my hacht, but I'm pretty sure that in this post I left a participle dangling.

I would mind it less if they hashtagged it 1st World Problems....  at least you'd know, that they know, that it's not the end of the world.  Problem is...they write them as if it is the end of the world...and unlike I honestly think, in their world, that was the big deal for the day....

Also--- if it were occasionally it wouldn't bug me at all but it is nearly every damn  day  (and I'm not talking about our favorite cart guy) because wrong or not I hold him to a different standard than the other...

Written By: warped on 04/28/14 at 7:48 am

no matter what the scale of the incidents you mentioned they are still important on some level 

I am actually talking the posts in the sound off board (which, granted, is there for people to complain about stuff)  but they take the most inane detail of the day and act like there was some grand plan in the universe scheming so that the donut shop ran out of their favorite flavor of coffee....... or OMG someone needs to run errands....or I don't know their boss had the audacity to do their job... It's become a daily ritual... 

oh booo hoooo you didn't your coffee.... instead of bitching about it find another flavor or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE..... 

*end rant*

This. Yes.
Some of this has kept me away....and parts of what Jessica and 2kidsami said too.

I would mind it less if they hashtagged it 1st World Problems....  at least you'd know, that they know, that it's not the end of the world.  Problem is...they write them as if it is the end of the world...and unlike I honestly think, in their world, that was the big deal for the day....

It might be their biggest problem of the day, yup. They are really quite fortunate if that is their biggest problem of the day.  Or they are just attention seekers..and will do anything (try and top others or type in bold or even invent stuff) to get attention.
I am so grateful that someone showed me how to ignore topics and block people.

Other reasons why people have left in the past..or posted less

-Facebook is a safer environment..I ONLY talk to my friends on there...I won't get attacked or ridiculed by people.
-Idiot guest trolls
-Decadeologists
-People who argue for the sake of arguing and irritate others on purpose.
-People who have been shot down because they have shared an opinion that isn't popular among the regulars..but I guess this one happens on every site like this one.

I still think there is hope for this site though. It just needs lots of new people. Most of the new members in the past year are younger ones, and what topics they post and their interests and very different than mine. I'm hoping people in their 50s sign up and post topics or have interests familiar to mine..it would make me come here more often.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/14 at 8:22 am

I am completely lost. Looks like I did miss some drama while I was gone! Also, Decadeologists are still whoring up the boards? Oh, hell.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/28/14 at 8:59 am

See, I don't want to know who any of you are in real life.  In that direction lies the potential for drama.  As long as I know people as nothing more than nicknames and avatars, I can know you only from what you've posted here.  By that standard, you're all pretty interesting people I enjoy hanging out with online.  Even the people -- no, especially the people -- with whom I've disagreed.
I don't mind those whom I disagree with, As long as when they share their opinion I am allowed to share mine and go on!  Differences are what the world revolves on.  I have disagreed with Q and several others, and we continue to go on and co mingle in a friendly manner.  Agree to disagree!

But I will not tolerate those who then follow and take shots every opportunity they see, when I have purposely ignored topics, and their insiting comments.  They want this to be their board with only their opinions....  Chase people off and make them uncomfortable to be here. 
Look now they are complaint that someplace else has chased people off!!!!  Lol, like they say,  for every finger you point at something there are three pointed back at you! 

There are plenty of people who lurk and truly like this place ...  But it's full off boring and mundane people who want to play by their rules...  Well their little ball game is boring and we all went and played ball somewhere else!  You want friends , you need to be a friend first!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/14 at 9:15 am

Did Robocop make any more appearances?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/28/14 at 9:40 am

Well this millenial is going to karma you!  :P

Written By: Henk on 04/28/14 at 1:23 pm

I believe he did, yes. But he hasn't been around in a long time, and it wasn't him causing all the commotion.

Written By: warped on 04/28/14 at 3:50 pm

I am completely lost. Looks like I did miss some drama while I was gone! Also, Decadeologists are still whoring up the boards? Oh, hell.

They aren't around now...once in a while they will try and sneak a topic in but someone catches them
Yeah they came about 2 to 2.5 years ago, and the rebellion was squashed a little over a year ago.
Still, you know they will come back.  They DO NOT get the message.
Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome...is insanity.

Written By: karen on 04/28/14 at 4:26 pm

^ unfortunately I think that made everyone here really paranoid for quite a while.  I think quite a few potentially decent members were put off by some posters coming on too strong with anything they deemed might be even vaguely possibly decadeology.  And that hasn't helped us at all

Written By: 80sfan on 04/28/14 at 5:16 pm

^ unfortunately I think that made everyone here really paranoid for quite a while. I think quite a few potentially decent members were put off by some posters coming on too strong with anything they deemed might be even vaguely possibly decadeology.  And that hasn't helped us at all

I have seen big improvements though in this area.

Written By: warped on 04/28/14 at 6:02 pm

Yes, Zero tolerance now. (or close to zero tolerance)
If you (or anyone) does see a topic that you think is decadeology, please continue to report it.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/14 at 7:48 pm

Yes, they have no life. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/28/14 at 7:49 pm

I believe he did, yes. But he hasn't been around in a long time, and it wasn't him causing all the commotion.

and thank god he's not here anymore.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/14 at 7:50 pm

Yes, Zero tolerance now. (or close to zero tolerance)
If you (or anyone) does see a topic that you think is decadeology, please continue to report it.

sure will. :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/14 at 7:10 am

They come round...a lot.  We've had a dry spell so we are def due for a visit soon.

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/14 at 7:13 am

He did try a few times a few years back.  I don't think he's been back in a while tho. Maybe he's grown up. (Or got better at disguising himself )

I gotta---annoying as they can be---- my best times are when the group would band together to cast out an evil troll.  In the boards heyday, those were some of the best posts I've ever read in my life. 

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/14 at 7:16 am

^ unfortunately I think that made everyone here really paranoid for quite a while.  I think quite a few potentially decent members were put off by some posters coming on too strong with anything they deemed might be even vaguely possibly decadeology.  And that hasn't helped us at all

That is true.  I fully admit I was hard on 80sfan when he started here. He hung in there tho and really changed his posting style. He's one of the good ones.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/14 at 7:17 am

They come round...a lot.  We've had a dry spell so we are def due for a visit soon.

Don't keep your hopes up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/14 at 7:19 am

When they are released by the authorities?

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/14 at 7:19 am

Oh lookie. There you are lol.  I totally (honestly) didn't see you'd posted til after I commented! 

I think you have shades of decadeologilistic  interests but you've really tempered those tendencies.....
....If that makes sense. 

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/14 at 7:21 am

When they are released by the authorities?

Maybe they'll keep em in a while longer.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/14 at 7:24 am

Maybe they'll keep em in a while longer.  ;D
Just for us!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/29/14 at 9:38 pm

Other reasons why people have left in the past..or posted less

-Facebook is a safer environment..I ONLY talk to my friends on there...I won't get attacked or ridiculed by people.

I've snipped out the rest of your insightful post to concentrate on this point because that's one of the other reasons I avoid Facebook.  I don't want to be limited to the viewpoints of people I already know.  I want a /fishslap in the face when I get it wrong. 

I don't mind those whom I disagree with, As long as when they share their opinion I am allowed to share mine and go on!  Differences are what the world revolves on.  I have disagreed with Q and several others, and we continue to go on and co mingle in a friendly manner.  Agree to disagree!

Sure - but agreeing to disagree too soon is kinda boring.  Sometimes it takes a few rounds of slapping each other with trout before we figure out whatever it is we really disagree about on any particular issue.  (I was less interested in a theological debate than I was in what was going on in the writings of late-18th-century proto-America ;)

Oh, and this, this, this.  We've probably driven off a lot of guests without realizing it.  Cliquishness and groupthink are the death of debate within cultures, companies, or online communities. 

I still think there is hope for this site though. It just needs lots of new people. Most of the new members in the past year are younger ones, and what topics they post and their interests and very different than mine. I'm hoping people in their 50s sign up and post topics or have interests familiar to mine..it would make me come here more often.

I look at the other side of the coin.  Bring on the new generation.  At the risk of de*BANHAMMER*ly, think back through the way pop culture's changed.  Do you want to be the Lawrence Welk fan who missed the Beatles?  The Deadhead who missed the significance of that silly robot synthesized music called "new wave"?  The Star Wars kid wondering where this "Frozen" movie came from?  Let the flamewars rage on - the heat never bothered me anyways - Let it go, let it goooooooooo...

Written By: warped on 04/30/14 at 10:45 am

I've snipped out the rest of your insightful post to concentrate on this point because that's one of the other reasons I avoid Facebook.  I don't want to be limited to the viewpoints of people I already know.  I want a /fishslap in the face when I get it wrong. 

Hey, I also want to know when I am wrong...you bet.
That wasn't the  point I was trying to make though. When "friends" tell you when you are wrong, they do it because they wanna help and do it in a respectful way. Something like that.
When you are attacked, mocked, made fun of, ridiculed, put down etc...  There is no respect there at all. 
Who wants to be around such unhappy hateful condescending people when you take a break from life and come on here for pleasure or entertainment? I don't. I want to have a good time and fun time during my leisure time, not be irritated or treated like garbage.
Facebook is pretty much free of that.  :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/30/14 at 11:41 am

All you have to do is look at the statistics of this forum to see that it's dying.  It's a shame.  There is a LOT of mindless dribble.  My threads in the PPP are certainly no exception.  LOL  But I'm just being silly, whereas so many threads are completely meaningless, and seem to have been created just to increase post count.  Why??  That kind of stuff irritates me enough that I don't really bother posting much at all anymore.  Occasionally, I'll check out the 80's section to see if there's any interesting discussion, but it's usually rude guests who are looking for the name of a toy or a game and once they get their answer, they disappear without even a "thank you".  Anyway, I'd love to see some sort of revival happen but I think the glory days are gone.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/14 at 12:42 pm

I kind of miss the decadeologists because it was so much fun pissing them off (I was quite good at doing it). 

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/30/14 at 2:50 pm

Leaving the forum for a few years and then coming back really revealed the differences to me. I feel like people talk on here as if they are updating their facebook statuses now. Just kind of putting information out there with no real intention of having a discussion, yanno? We used to have lively discussions and even arguments (which, c'mon, were sometimes fun, admit it).

I tend to agree with Sir Billzy, I don't foresee a revival. The way we communicate now... it's just too different. It's hard to explain.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/30/14 at 2:51 pm

Even stuff as silly as the "Photoshop Me!" thread. It used to be so much more interactive.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/30/14 at 8:02 pm

I want to have a good time and fun time during my leisure time, not be irritated or treated like garbage.]

Facebook is pretty much free of that.  :)

Oh, wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder! :)

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 8:08 pm

I kind of miss the decadeologists because it was so much fun pissing them off (I was quite good at doing it).

Do they still exist?

Written By: warped on 04/30/14 at 8:11 pm

Oh, wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder! :)

Me? Serious? I guess I gotta try something once.  :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbauytAMNs1qbrylto1_400.gif

But I`m not trying that.

Written By: warped on 04/30/14 at 8:12 pm

Do they still exist?

Yup..and they are lurking..

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 8:31 pm

Yup..and they are lurking..

under our bed?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/14 at 3:37 am

under our bed?
...in a cupboard?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/14 at 7:34 am

But I`m not trying that.

Is that supposed to be a game?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/14 at 12:41 pm

But I`m not trying that.

Is that supposed to be a game?
We never do know with the Japanese!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/01/14 at 2:58 pm

We never do know with the Japanese!  ;D

the girl is holding a plunger.

Written By: Tam on 05/01/14 at 6:29 pm

Leaving the forum for a few years and then coming back really revealed the differences to me. I feel like people talk on here as if they are updating their facebook statuses now. Just kind of putting information out there with no real intention of having a discussion, yanno? We used to have lively discussions and even arguments (which, c'mon, were sometimes fun, admit it).

I tend to agree with Sir Billzy, I don't foresee a revival. The way we communicate now... it's just too different. It's hard to explain.

I think that part of the problem is, some people post here asking for advice or complaining about other things, or just in general are looking for a form of attention. However, when advice is offered: the person(s) asking, has reasons why nothing will work and if no reply is made, the boards then get another post that is something along the lines "... you didn't see my post / you didn't comment on my post / guess my post isn't important enough for you ...".

Another issue: Self-important, condescending ignorance.

Last issue for me: there isn't an app for this site.

And in my humble opinion, we are pretty much caught up with each other through facebook or google+ or heck, in my case, even on the telephone. When the mass exodus happened, we all pretty much made sure we were connected outside of here in some way or form.

It actually sucks because this place used to draw me like facebook now does.
Not much to be done about it I guess.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/01/14 at 7:04 pm

I think that part of the problem is, some people post here asking for advice or complaining about other things, or just in general are looking for a form of attention. However, when advice is offered: the person(s) asking, has reasons why nothing will work and if no reply is made, the boards then get another post that is something along the lines "... you didn't see my post / you didn't comment on my post / guess my post isn't important enough for you ...".

Another issue: Self-important, condescending ignorance.

And in my humble opinion, we are pretty much caught up with each other through facebook or google+ or heck, in my case, even on the telephone. When the mass exodus happened, we all pretty much made sure we were connected outside of here in some way or form.

It actually sucks because this place used to draw me like facebook now does.

Perfectly said, Tam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/14 at 5:02 am

the girl is holding a plunger.
She is going to fix the blocked pipe!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/03/14 at 10:12 pm

If you've got access to find out, what's the board record on karma per post?  Because the +5 you got on that post is either a site record or it's very close to it.

Written By: Tam on 05/03/14 at 10:16 pm

If you've got access to find out, what's the board record on karma per post?  Because the +5 you got on that post is either a site record or it's very close to it.

Huh! Who knew?! lol

No records for that I don't think - I can always try to find out though. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/14 at 4:10 am

Hi!

I too haven't been around here much lately but I saw this thread and I thought I'd weigh in, if no one minds.

Pretty much everyone in this discussion are long-time members. This site is 10+ years older than it was when we all first started, and so are all of us. We all have to face the fact that most of us are the older generation now, and we are really no different than the generations that proceeded us who mocked us or were appalled by us when we were young. I mean, just as an example, when we mock our younger members for not liking "real music," is it really that much different than what this guy did 50 years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOr2a9oEzGQ

We've always been a close knit bunch here and I'm glad that has carried over to Facebook, but what I like about coming here is that I can be a little more unfiltered. I've had the opportunity to meet several members here in person and in every instance I almost instantly connected with you like you were old friends who I've known all my life. (And there are many more of you whom I haven't met but I hope that someday I get the chance do so.) The difference between this and Facebook is that on Facebook, I almost never add anyone to my friends list who I don't already know in some way or another, whereas here I've became friends with a lot of great people whom I otherwise never would have met. And I think that's what really makes this place special. We all stick together and we don't take any crap off of anyone and if someone comes in and starts acting like a jackass, we run their asses out of here.

Our history of dealing with newbies hasn't always been that great, but there's two sides to that coin. I think that we can get a little too hung up on generational issues at times and that causes a bit of a divide which, IMO, isn't all that necessary; but on the other hand newbs need to realize that it takes time to for us to get to know them and if they come in here out of the blue and get all thread-happy and start bombing the hell of the boards it's irritating as hell. (Our favorite former member who shall-not-be-named, you know, the one who thinks he has a masters degree in decadeology, either didn't realize this or just didn't care. He just showed up one day and started acting like he was entitled to run the place and f**k everyone else and that attitude, more than anything else, is what got him banned.)

People seem to come and go from this site a lot more than they used to but what's cool is that anyone who is in good standing when they take a break is more than welcome to come back whenever they decide to.

Last thing:

THIS. THIS. THIS.

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/14 at 8:36 pm

this is my pic of a decadeologist (or any random troll)

penguins playing together happily... troll's like..."I gotta disrupt this shyt!"  :D

http://www.coolthingsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/seal-photobombs-penguins.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/05/14 at 6:49 am

this is my pic of a decadeologist (or any random troll)

penguins playing together happily... troll's like..."I gotta disrupt this shyt!"  :D

http://www.coolthingsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/seal-photobombs-penguins.jpg

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/14 at 1:54 am

I mean, just as an example, when we mock our younger members for not liking "real music," is it really that much different than what this guy did 50 years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOr2a9oEzGQ

Also this for truth.  I've learned a lot about new genres of music through this place, and found tracks from my own era that I'd missed. 

Silents, you're mostly not here.  We're sorry, and we hope we don't screw up what we remember hearing from you.  We know you made peace with Elvis and the Beatles, but drew the line at dropping s-bombs and f-bombs on radio.

Boomers, there's a few of you here.  I'm an Xer who's bitter, but I know what your generation did to my generation wasn't personal, so I don't take it personally.  Thanks for turning me on to Iron Butterfly and some of that weirder stuff from your day.

Xers, hey, I'm an Xer, the 80s were... aaw, wait a minute, I'm no longer fashionably retro, I'm just old, but at least I can answer trivia questions about synthpop bands, though.

Millennials, this is your turn.  You get to know what it was like for us Xers 20 years ago.  Yes, we'll beat you with rhetorical trout the same way the boomers did to us.  Don't take it personally, you'll get over it. 

Generation Homeland or whatever the Xers and Millennials end up calling you kids, we'll still be here when you find us after Facebook goes bankrupt and takes SnapChat with it.  (As if any of you will be using a web browser instead of a proper VR interface by the time 2020 rolls around.)

People seem to come and go from this site a lot more than they used to but what's cool is that anyone who is in good standing when they take a break is more than welcome to come back whenever they decide to.

As the old song goes, you can check (it) out anytime, but you can never leave.

http://i.imgur.com/ItjUdYV.jpg

wu6U4Oyn5mg

I have the 2013 cover by Hallux Makenzo, but does anybody have a link to the 1998 original by Sunland and/or the B-Brothers Extended Clubhouse Mix of the Sunland track? All I could find from Sunland was the cover art!

Check for new replies or respond here...