inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When you rate a movie...

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 5:52 pm

..what do you consider? Is it the acting? The dialogue? The music and scenery? The 'hot' girls or guys? The originality/creativity?

:)

Subject: Re: When you rate a movie...

Written By: Dagwood on 05/18/14 at 6:42 pm

Entertainment, pure and simple.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 7:03 pm

I agree. Sometimes the bad acting is so funny it becomes entertaining.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/14 at 8:41 pm

..what do you consider? Is it the acting? The dialogue? The music and scenery? The 'hot' girls or guys? The originality/creativity?

depends on the movie...

I can forgive bad dialogue if the acting is good (or the actors are good looking)  or if it's an action flick...

in my drama's tho I really want good writing. 

I like seemless directing. If I can watch a film and forget who's directed it I'm happy... but really good directing turns me on...  what I hate is directing that overpowers a film... particularly if the director is really artsy and seems to be making choices based on style rather than substance.    There's a film called suspect zero....one of the worst movies I ever watched partially because of the writing but mostly because of the director.  sadly it has Aaron Eckhardt and Ben Kingsley in it so you'd expect a better film.

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/14 at 8:41 pm

escapist entertainment  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/14 at 8:42 pm

I agree. Sometimes the bad acting is so funny it becomes entertaining.  ;D

Can't Stop the Music is hands down one of my favorite "bad films" I have watched it 150 times.... and I will watch it again soon as I get some free time.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/18/14 at 8:58 pm

escapist entertainment  ;)

Exactly.  Saw Godzilla yesterday...plenty of things didn't add up but it was entertaining and I loved it. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 10:04 pm

Exactly.  Saw Godzilla yesterday...plenty of things didn't add up but it was entertaining and I loved it.

The 1998 one, or the 2014 new one?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 10:08 pm

depends on the movie...

I can forgive bad dialogue if the acting is good (or the actors are good looking)  or if it's an action flick...

in my drama's tho I really want good writing. 

I like seemless directing. If I can watch a film and forget who's directed it I'm happy... but really good directing turns me on...  what I hate is directing that overpowers a film... particularly if the director is really artsy and seems to be making choices based on style rather than substance.    There's a film called suspect zero....one of the worst movies I ever watched partially because of the writing but mostly because of the director.  sadly it has Aaron Eckhardt and Ben Kingsley in it so you'd expect a better film.

Yeah, 'artsy' in excess can cross the line into pretentiousness. The trick for the director is to balance technique and 'art', at least that's what I'm thinking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/14 at 3:19 am

When I watch a film I judge my rating by how much I am 'gripped' by the film. If the acting, script, or any other part in the production of the film is 'bad' my 'gripped' interest has gone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/14 at 3:22 am

...or the Japanese original from 1954 ?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/14 at 6:14 am

Exactly!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/14 at 6:15 am

When I watch a film I judge my rating by how much I am 'gripped' by the film. If the acting, script, or any other part in the production of the film is 'bad' my 'gripped' interest has gone.

Wanna see me act? Just kidding.

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/14 at 6:48 am

She saw the new one. 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/19/14 at 7:43 am

The new 2014 one

Written By: Dagwood on 05/19/14 at 7:44 am

She saw the new one. 

What she said ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/14 at 8:26 am

What she said ;D

I know you. Lol

I have yet to see it. It was the premiere I didn't get to attend bc of the great hair fiasco ....

My friend got great pics!!!  I'll see it eventually

Written By: Dagwood on 05/19/14 at 8:32 am

You won't be disappointed.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/14 at 7:06 pm

You won't be disappointed.  :)

cool... I will probably go see it when I come back from AZ (end of the month) but I will see Xmen while in AZ because that one looks FANTASTIC!

Written By: gibbo on 05/20/14 at 11:03 pm

Initially, it is the pure entertainment factor. Was I still buzzing about it when I left the theater?  Then after that has all died down ... Is it still memorable? Dp I want to go again?

Many movies are pretty much forgotten as I leave the theater.  In fact, I usually vcant even recall some movie titles that I have seen. If it's a good one ... I'll remember all about it ... and probably, researched the actors and what else they may have been in.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 9:42 am

Initially, it is the pure entertainment factor. Was I still buzzing about it when I left the theater?  Then after that has all died down ... Is it still memorable? Dp I want to go again?

Many movies are pretty much forgotten as I leave the theater.  In fact, I usually vcant even recall some movie titles that I have seen. If it's a good one ... I'll remember all about it ... and probably, researched the actors and what else they may have been in.
Thanks for reminding me, that is another way I rated how good a film is, by saying how soon I wish to see it again. "The King's Speech" was as soon as possible for me, and saw within a fortnight. If I do not wish to to the film, means it was bad!

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 11:09 am

I rate a film based on acting and the dialogue.

Check for new replies or respond here...