inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How's life in July?

Written By: nally on 06/30/14 at 8:11 pm

The month of July is just about here...that means we're halfway through 2014! Time does fly!! :o :D

Anyway, I saw that no one had yet started a thread for the new month, so I decided to do it this time around. I hope it's a good month for everyone!!

Subject: Re: How's life in July?

Written By: annimal on 06/30/14 at 9:16 pm

I'll be moved back to my room

Written By: DemiLover89 on 06/30/14 at 11:17 pm

My birthday is on the 14th. I'll be hitting the big 3-0.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 3:05 pm

The month of July is just about here...that means we're halfway through 2014! Time does fly!! :o :D

Anyway, I saw that no one had yet started a thread for the new month, so I decided to do it this time around. I hope it's a good month for everyone!!

I can't believe were halfway done with 2014. :o And summer is here.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 3:06 pm

I'm looking forward to Friday And Saturday, my days off and spending time with my buddy for his July 4th party. :)

Written By: nally on 07/01/14 at 4:12 pm

Awesome!! :) I have a birthday this month, too, namely on the 11th; I will turn 34.

Written By: snozberries on 07/01/14 at 5:03 pm

Saw Melissa McCarthy in Tammy last night..then I saw her in person in the lobby (because I was at the premiere  :) ) she's always so sweet to me when I see her....

I am going to see her (I hope my boss gives me the day off) get her hands in cement at the Chinese.... I hope I can go... I've met her about 30x but I still need a pic with her.

Written By: annimal on 07/01/14 at 9:20 pm

my brother Joel has a Birthday on July 8th

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 3:43 am

I'm back after a few days away, and still bogged down with hay fever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 3:45 am

Happy birthday to you.

Written By: karen on 07/02/14 at 11:06 am

Today was sports day at school. Elizabeth came third in long jump. 

No classes meant we spent the time checking and replacing equipment in some labs (ongoing project or the next few days before the end of term).  Two of the labs needed a little more work making space for new equipment.

Tomorrow I am going to York to a technicians conference.  I've signed up for two classes, one is in electronics and I can't remember what the other one is.  Nor could I remember my website log-in to check.  Just hope they have a list I can check!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 11:10 am

No classes meant we spent the time checking and replacing equipment in some labs (ongoing project or the next few days before the end of term).  Two of the labs needed a little more work making space for new equipment.

Tomorrow I am going to York to a technicians conference.  I've signed up for two classes, one is in electronics and I can't remember what the other one is.  Nor could I remember my website log-in to check.  Just hope they have a list I can check!
Was there a parents race?

Written By: karen on 07/02/14 at 11:21 am

Was there a parents race?

I don't know, I was working.  But I don't think so.  Not many parents come and watch senior school sports day

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/14 at 11:31 am

Yay, Elizabeth.

Maybe your class is how to improve your memory.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/02/14 at 3:24 pm

Happy Birthday. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/02/14 at 3:25 pm

Saw Melissa McCarthy in Tammy last night..then I saw her in person in the lobby (because I was at the premiere  :) ) she's always so sweet to me when I see her....

I am going to see her (I hope my boss gives me the day off) get her hands in cement at the Chinese.... I hope I can go... I've met her about 30x but I still need a pic with her.

Did you ever get to meet her sister Jenny?

Written By: Howard on 07/02/14 at 3:26 pm

I'm back after a few days away, and still bogged down with hay fever.

welcome back.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/02/14 at 5:01 pm

Did you ever get to meet her sister Jenny?

They're cousins not sisters.  No I never met Jenny.

Got my pic with Melissa tho!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/14 at 5:08 pm

They're cousins not sisters.  No I never met Jenny.

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/02/14 at 6:16 pm

Way cool.

Cat

Thx. It's been a long time coming. Even she said "we don't have a pic together? Oh yeah you can't bring a camera to the studio."  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/02/14 at 11:39 pm

Sounds great!! I hope we get to see it here...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 2:30 am

welcome back.  :)
Thanks, I think the break did me a world of good.

Written By: nally on 07/03/14 at 12:24 pm

My mom has just gotten word that the escrow on her parents' now-empty house will not close until Monday (at the earliest), due to various circumstances. (This also includes the fact that tomorrow's a holiday in the US.)

Written By: Howard on 07/03/14 at 3:45 pm

Thanks, I think the break did me a world of good.

feeling refreshed? :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 3:45 pm

feeling refreshed? :)
Till I came back here.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/14 at 4:24 pm

looking forward to my next two days of rest and relaxation. :)

Written By: annimal on 07/03/14 at 9:36 pm

yesterday evening I had all this blood come out of my ear and nose.  Today I have just wanted to sleep all day.  I probably have some sort of cold or something because I want to sleep all day.  My harmones are all messed up from my RAI treatment now and I'm growing a mustache like a man.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/14 at 7:14 am

yesterday evening I had all this blood come out of my ear and nose.  Today I have just wanted to sleep all day.  I probably have some sort of cold or something because I want to sleep all day.  My harmones are all messed up from my RAI treatment now and I'm growing a mustache like a man.

It's probably a bloody nose.

Written By: karen on 07/04/14 at 11:30 am

That doesn't sound good Ann.  Colds don't make your ear bleed.  Given the treatment you have been having I think you should let your doctor know about this.

Written By: annimal on 07/04/14 at 12:44 pm

No, actually I found out the whatever spot back in my right ear is what bled.  I've always just got dry  and bled in the past, but I've never bled as much as I did. 

Written By: nally on 07/04/14 at 8:58 pm

Spent an entire day cleaning out the garage, trying to make adequate room for some of the stuff we brought from my grandma's house. We also discarded plenty of our stuff in the process.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/14 at 9:11 pm

Sounds great!! I hope we get to see it here...

that can be arranged.... and may happen momentarily  ;)

Written By: annimal on 07/04/14 at 9:34 pm

well for the 4th today my brother John had come over and we just had dinner which ended up being pizza because that is what was open by our house, but that was fine.  Cool day

Written By: nally on 07/04/14 at 11:29 pm

that can be arranged.... and may happen momentarily  ;)

Just saw all the pics... :)

Written By: Howard on 07/05/14 at 7:30 am

same here, they were great. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/14 at 3:30 pm

same here, they were great. :)

Thanks!!! Those were right up there with getting Oprah so I'm very happy right now!

Written By: nally on 07/07/14 at 7:16 pm

Well...the escrow on my grandma's house has closed today!! :D :) We ended up getting approximately $337,000 in cash for it.

Written By: annimal on 07/07/14 at 11:14 pm

I had a music class today and I gave everyone the addresses for my parodies if they wanted to look at them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/14 at 10:04 am

Well...the escrow on my grandma's house has closed today!! :D :) We ended up getting approximately $337,000 in cash for it.

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/08/14 at 2:43 pm

That's great.  :)

Written By: annimal on 07/08/14 at 5:12 pm

It's Joel's Birthday and we're going out to eat tonight.

Written By: nally on 07/08/14 at 7:03 pm

Way cool.

Cat

That's great.  :)

Thank you both. It felt great to get it off our hands.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/09/14 at 5:11 am

I would like to thank you everybody who congratulated me on deciding to go to college. You girls and guys are very positive people. If you people think you're terrible people, try living with my parents for a week.  ;D

The inthe00s crowd is flawed but loyal and fun!

I'm sorry for being late for thanking you people!

-Cheers!-

Written By: karen on 07/09/14 at 11:12 am

Nearly the end of term.  Hooray!  very tired today

Morris dancing tonight to celebrate our musicians 75th birthday

Written By: nally on 07/09/14 at 10:36 pm

So...I have a birthday this Friday, and I plan to go out for dinner in the evening; I've chosen a place, and invited some friends to join me, but one friend contacted me today saying that she wouldn't be able to come because she's got family from out of town visiting her this weekend. Now I'm waiting for the others to respond. (I sent this email invitation out on Monday -- 2 days ago.)

Written By: nally on 07/10/14 at 7:24 pm

So...I have a birthday this Friday, and I plan to go out for dinner in the evening; I've chosen a place, and invited some friends to join me, but one friend contacted me today saying that she wouldn't be able to come because she's got family from out of town visiting her this weekend. Now I'm waiting for the others to respond. (I sent this email invitation out on Monday -- 2 days ago.)

Update...still no additional responses. Still waiting patiently.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/14 at 7:14 am

enjoy your birthday.

Written By: nally on 07/11/14 at 7:17 pm

enjoy your birthday.

I have been, and will continue to do so.

Btw, a few people in my accounting course took me out for lunch today; we had Mexican food.

I'm gonna have Italian food for dinner.

Written By: karen on 07/13/14 at 2:10 pm

We went to the Lake District for the weekend.  Elizabeth and Dai were doing a long two day race called the Saunders Mountain Marathon.  They had to carry their kit and camp in a field overnight.  they got round the courses both days - didn't break any records but didn't disgrace themselves either.  Both were muddy, tired, but happy when we picked them up this afternoon.

James and I walked together yesterday.  We planned a challenging route up Striding Edge and over Helvellyn.  However the up and up nature of the route beat us, so we cut off and walked back a different way. Later on I began to feel unwell - a combination of dehydration and too much sun I think.  James did a good job of looking after me in the evening.  today we had a gentle potter up to a waterfall, then went to pick up Dai and Elizabeth.

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/14 at 2:20 pm

We went to the Lake District for the weekend.  Elizabeth and Dai were doing a long two day race called the Saunders Mountain Marathon.  They had to carry their kit and camp in a field overnight.  they got round the courses both days - didn't break any records but didn't disgrace themselves either.  Both were muddy, tired, but happy when we picked them up this afternoon.

James and I walked together yesterday.  We planned a challenging route up Striding Edge and over Helvellyn.  However the up and up nature of the route beat us, so we cut off and walked back a different way. Later on I began to feel unwell - a combination of dehydration and too much sun I think.  James did a good job of looking after me in the evening.  today we had a gentle potter up to a waterfall, then went to pick up Dai and Elizabeth.

I don't know what a gentle potter is but I'm guessing it's an easy trek....  ;)

hope you're feeling better!!!

Written By: nally on 07/15/14 at 7:33 pm

As for my accounting course, I am getting into the more difficult subjects, such as payroll and how to deal with that. The textbook for accounting (general) had a chapter on payroll with an overview of how it's handled, but now I'm learning about it in more detail.

Written By: karen on 07/16/14 at 5:38 am

I don't know what a gentle potter is but I'm guessing it's an easy trek....  ;)

It is!  I like to keep you thinking about what I write  :)

hope you're feeling better!!!

Much better thanks.

Last night Dai and I went to a slightly strange event.  Our bank has had a refit and as a thank you for putting up with the dust and mess for a couple of months we were invited to the grand re-opening.  Wine, nibbles and small talk, followed by a wine tasting (one great, one ok and one yuck - I didn't try the fourth!).  Now we just need them to sort out how to close three year investment accounts without leaving 10 pence interest still paid in.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/14 at 9:32 am

It is!  I like to keep you thinking about what I write  :)

Much better thanks.

Last night Dai and I went to a slightly strange event.  Our bank has had a refit and as a thank you for putting up with the dust and mess for a couple of months we were invited to the grand re-opening.  Wine, nibbles and small talk, followed by a wine tasting (one great, one ok and one yuck - I didn't try the fourth!).  Now we just need them to sort out how to close three year investment accounts without leaving 10 pence interest still paid in.

I always love little soirees. I plan on hosting a bunch of them now that I have the room. Already had 2 dinner parties since we moved in. Looking forward to more.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/14 at 2:39 am

I finally started typing words on my novel, for the first time in six months!  ::) :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/14 at 10:06 am

I finally started typing words on my novel, for the first time in six months!  ::) :)

Good for you. I have decided that this is the year that I am going to publish my children's book that I wrote over a decade ago. Don't bother looking for it in stores because I'm only going to publish about 15 copies and give it to my grandkids & a few other choice people for Christmas.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/14 at 10:09 am

Good for you. I have decided that this is the year that I am going to publish my children's book that I wrote over a decade ago. Don't bother looking for it in stores because I'm only going to publish about 15 copies and give it to my grandkids & a few other choice people for Christmas.

Cat

That's beautiful. I would love to read it. I still read children's books sometimes.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/14 at 1:56 pm

That's beautiful. I would love to read it. I still read children's books sometimes.  ;D

I read children's books all the time-to the grandkids.  ;)  Actually, a few years ago, I bought several children's books and they weren't for the kids-they were for me.  :D ;D ;D ;D  They were books that I loved as a kid and wanted them for myself. But I have shared them with the kids.

There have been a few people here on the board who have read my story. I sent it to them via email. It is called "A Fairy Story" and you can guess what it is about. lol. I am photoshopping pics of the grandkids and turn them into fairies. Here are a few of what I have.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/6_zpsd3451612.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/4_zps5ecfa109.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/Eowyn_zps2c8f8b95.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/Bailey_zps37298149.jpg

Still have a bunch more to do.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/17/14 at 4:17 pm

fantastic! keep up the good work.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/17/14 at 4:18 pm

I read children's books all the time-to the grandkids.  ;)  Actually, a few years ago, I bought several children's books and they weren't for the kids-they were for me.  :D ;D ;D ;D  They were books that I loved as a kid and wanted them for myself. But I have shared them with the kids.

There have been a few people here on the board who have read my story. I sent it to them via email. It is called "A Fairy Story" and you can guess what it is about. lol. I am photoshopping pics of the grandkids and turn them into fairies. Here are a few of what I have.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/Bailey_zps37298149.jpg

Cat

Those are quite nice.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/14 at 4:45 pm

Those are quite nice.  :)

Thank you, Howard. I did all the photography myself-the kids, the background, even the butterflies. And I am learning photoshop as you can see.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/14 at 8:54 pm

Cat

That's really creative and unique. Not just saying that.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/14 at 8:55 pm

fantastic! keep up the good work.  :)

It's going to take a few weeks for me to really get into the groove of it. Sorry for the bad Madonna reference!  :-X :-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/14 at 9:50 am

Thanks. Like I said, I have a few more to do.

Cat

Written By: annimal on 07/18/14 at 3:28 pm

I'm going on a little City  Of Hope trip with my parents on the 23rd and will be coming home on the 25th.

Written By: nally on 07/18/14 at 11:17 pm

It sure is. Very beautiful too. :)

Written By: nally on 07/18/14 at 11:28 pm

I still occasionally read some as well... particularly, my own, which I have saved since my childhood. Some of them had very interesting stories which I enjoy rereading from time to time. :) ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/19/14 at 12:24 am

I still occasionally read some as well... particularly, my own, which I have saved since my childhood. Some of them had very interesting stories which I enjoy rereading from time to time. :) ;)

In first grade I read to the class, like the way a teacher does! Probably a sign I was going to like writing.  :o

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/19/14 at 12:27 am

Those pics remind me of a famous hoax from about 100 or so years ago where these girls cut out pictures from newspapers and posed in photos with them and convinced the public they were actual photos of fairies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 2:39 am

Those pics remind me of a famous hoax from about 100 or so years ago where these girls cut out pictures from newspapers and posed in photos with them and convinced the public they were actual photos of fairies.
http://www.openculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cottingley_Fairies_1_article.jpeg

The Cottingley Fairies,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright (1900–88) and Frances Griffiths (1907–86), two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 9. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena. Public reaction was mixed; some accepted the images as genuine, but others believed they had been faked.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 4:42 am

Well done, keep us informed.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 7:11 am

I'm going on a little City  Of Hope trip with my parents on the 23rd and will be coming home on the 25th.

enjoy the trip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 7:12 am

Take care

Written By: karen on 07/19/14 at 1:02 pm

Today I was morris dancing at Bosworth Battlefield visitor centre and then at the nearby restored steam train line.  A local dance group celebrated their 30th anniversary by inviting lots of dancers along for the day.  It was a bit wet on and off this morning.  Then things brightened up and we got a bit of an audience.

We finished up at a pub to dance some more and cut the birthday cake.  Whilst the birthday group were dancing their specially devised new anniversary dance the heavens opened.  Despite sheltering under a patio umbrella I was drenched.  The dancing was abandoned and we retired indoors. 

It felt great when I got home to be able to get out of my wet clothes

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/14 at 1:44 pm

Today I was morris dancing at Bosworth Battlefield visitor centre and then at the nearby restored steam train line.  A local dance group celebrated their 30th anniversary by inviting lots of dancers along for the day.  It was a bit wet on and off this morning.  Then things brightened up and we got a bit of an audience.

We finished up at a pub to dance some more and cut the birthday cake.  Whilst the birthday group were dancing their specially devised new anniversary dance the heavens opened.  Despite sheltering under a patio umbrella I was drenched.  The dancing was abandoned and we retired indoors. 

It felt great when I got home to be able to get out of my wet clothes

There is nothing like taking off wet clothes & getting into dry ones. The only thing that would make it better is having a cup of hot chocolate with it.  ;)

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/19/14 at 1:53 pm

Cat

Love them!  As you know, I am a fan of photoshop. Good work!

Written By: annimal on 07/19/14 at 2:57 pm

I'll take care Philip and Howhard.

Right now I've been looking up plants that are hardy in zone 9.  Even Gazania's that are suppose to be hardy from zone 8-10 just turn brown.  I might just end up growing annuals here.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 4:18 pm

Me, The Boy and my grandson went crabbing/fishing on the bay last Saturday. I was bitten numerous times
by greenhead flies and here it is a week later and I still have the huge welts that itch like all hell. I really
hate greenies but I must have developed an allergy to them because they never itched like this before. Both
The Boy and my grandson were bitten as well but neither has any welts. The itching is driving me crazy...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/14 at 4:38 pm

Me, The Boy and my grandson went crabbing/fishing on the bay last Saturday. I was bitten numerous times
by greenhead flies and here it is a week later and I still have the huge welts that itch like all hell. I really
hate greenies but I must have developed an allergy to them because they never itched like this before. Both
The Boy and my grandson were bitten as well but neither has any welts. The itching is driving me crazy...

Maybe an anti-itch spray or calamine lotion will help.

Mmmmmmm. Crabs. Haven't been crabbing in DECADES. I hope you caught some to make the outing worth the itch.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 4:49 pm

Maybe an anti-itch spray or calamine lotion will help.

Mmmmmmm. Crabs. Haven't been crabbing in DECADES. I hope you caught some to make the outing worth the itch.

Cat

I've tried Gold Bond, it helps for a little while. I haven't tried Calamine lotion yet, perhaps I should.

Not even a nibble fishing but we were pulling in crabs all day. Unfortunately, the only ones big enough
to keep were all females and I still live by the unwritten rule of crabbing, all females are to be released.
So basically, we came home empty handed save the damn fly bites.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/14 at 5:14 pm

I've tried Gold Bond, it helps for a little while. I haven't tried Calamine lotion yet, perhaps I should.

Not even a nibble fishing but we were pulling in crabs all day. Unfortunately, the only ones big enough
to keep were all females and I still live by the unwritten rule of crabbing, all females are to be released.

Bummer. Better luck next time.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/14 at 5:23 pm

stupid question but how can you tell a female crab from a male????

do the males have little crabby penises?    :D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 5:36 pm

It is hard for me to explain but.

If you have ever eaten crabs. The tab on the underside of the crab, or the opener, is the determining factor. The male
crabs have an elongated tab whereas the female's tab is short. The abdomen, for lack of a better word, on a male crab
is also smaller. The female's takes up most of the underside of the crab, it is what holds the egg sac. I will try to find
pictures.

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/14 at 5:42 pm

It is hard for me to explain but.

If you have ever eaten crabs. The tab on the underside of the crab, or the opener, is the determining factor. The male
crabs have an elongated tab whereas the female's tab is short. The abdomen, for lack of a better word, on a male crab
is also smaller. The female's takes up most of the underside of the crab, it is what holds the egg sac. I will try to find
pictures.

I never knew that... thanks!

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 5:46 pm

This is a male crab, elongated tab and yes, it looks like a penis.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu142/briannaCYDE/102_6206.jpg

This is a female crab, note the bigger abdomen and shorter tab.
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/bestaquatictripever/Boat/Arthropoda/SDC12798.jpg

Mind you, this is how to tell the difference in blue claw crabs, other species are determined by size of crab and
size of their claws.

Edit to add: You can tell by the claws as well. Note the orange on the claw ends of the female are not present on the male.

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/14 at 6:11 pm

This is a male crab, elongated tab and yes it looks like a penis.

yup....a little crabby penis  ;D

thanks again!

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:14 pm

There is nothing like taking off wet clothes & getting into dry ones. The only thing that would make it better is having a cup of hot chocolate with it.  ;)

Cat

especially when you've come in from the rain.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:16 pm

Maybe you can put on some anti-itch lotion, that might soothe the problem.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:17 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:18 pm

This is a male crab, elongated tab and yes it looks like a penis.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/bestaquatictripever/Boat/Arthropoda/SDC12798.jpg

Mind you, this is how to tell the difference in blue claw crabs, other species are determined by size of crab and
size of their claws.

Edit to add: You can tell by the claws as well. Note the orange on the claw ends of the female are not present on the male.

I've never eaten live crab before, the only crab that I've eaten was in crab salad.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 6:20 pm

I've never eaten live crab before, the only crab that I've eaten was in crab salad.

I don't eat live crabs either, I like to cook them first.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:39 pm

and then you have them with butter?

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/14 at 6:59 pm

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/19/14 at 7:15 pm

This is a male crab, elongated tab and yes, it looks like a penis.

size of their claws.

I hold back all comments and jokes I am thinking of right now.  :-X :-X

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/14 at 8:31 pm

Bummer. Better luck next time.

Cat

Sorry Cat, I missed this at first and thanks. I knew we wouldn't fare so well, early July is not the time to go crabbing.
I wanted to go out on the ocean and do some fishing but it was The Boy's birthday and he wanted to go crabbing.
I'll plan another trip in late August or September when the males will be fattening up before they bury themselves for
the winter. This time, however, I will bring repellent.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/19/14 at 11:35 pm

It was going splendidly until I cut my finger on my push mower blade trying to get the blades unstuck.  :P  God my finger bled quite a bit before I put equal pressure on my finger and it stopped.  It bled right under the skin on my finger. 
I've got a band aid and a piece of medical tape on it.  I'm happy that my mother knew what to do and doctored it up for me so that I didn't have to go to the emergency room.  :P

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10569229_10152514266355042_1261398873_n.jpg?oh=a90952f64b3b239887029c0c3eeec152&oe=53CE1FE2&__gda__=1406021875_5a8e26e38feae98e168ec2eaa5784f5b

This is what happens when you don't take precautions with trying to get things unstuck from a push mower that has sharp blades.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/14 at 12:08 am

My father is now 71 years old, turning 72 in January. My guess is he has at the most eight years more to live. Pray for him and me if you can!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/14 at 9:47 am

My father is now 71 years old, turning 72 in January. My guess is he has at the most eight years more to live. Pray for him and me if you can!

Why only 8? There are many people who live beyond 80 and even into their 90s.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/14 at 9:59 am

Why only 8? There are many people who live beyond 80 and even into their 90s.

Cat

I forgot to mention he's very sick and has been for the past twenty years. But it's gotten worse especially by this year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/14 at 11:19 am

I forgot to mention he's very sick and has been for the past twenty years. But it's gotten worse especially by this year.

I am sorry. Maybe he will make a recovery.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/20/14 at 4:33 pm

Earlier this week I e-mailed some friends to see if they could come round today for a barbecue.  Two families said they would be away and the third I didn't hear from.  Elizabeth is a facebook friend with the daughter and gathered that they were away, but might be back home Saturday.

Anyway this morning we decided that no one would be coming so we would go out for the day walking and have lunch out.  We had just set off when I got a text to say the friends had just got back from holiday yesterday and would love to come round if it was still ok.

So we changed our walking destination to somewhere more local and had an interesting walk around a ruined priory, including a bit of a guided tour by one of the volunteers who happened to be there and then we had a carvery lunch at a local pub.  Back home via the supermarket and everyone helped to tidy up the dining room in case the weather turned wet.

We had lovely warm weather to sit outside, great food and great company (who bought a lovely cheesecake with them)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/14 at 7:23 pm

Just got back from a New Year's party.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Our friends who usually have a New Year's Eve party decided to do it in July instead. It was really nice. It was outside in warm weather and light-instead of in the dark inside-where it usually got kind of crowded. We didn't stay for the fireworks but man, did we ate, & ate, & ate. Had a couple of glass of wine and then we ate. Did I mention that we ate?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/21/14 at 2:34 pm

Sorry guys I haven't been on here for a day and a half, my computer, TV and phone were out altogether and it appears that the problem was caused by our neighbor's huge tree that was blocked by the cable wires which give us the phone, TV and internet.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/14 at 2:35 pm

why do you have to De-claw them? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/21/14 at 2:36 pm

It was going splendidly until I cut my finger on my push mower blade trying to get the blades unstuck.  :P  God my finger bled quite a bit before I put equal pressure on my finger and it stopped.  It bled right under the skin on my finger. 
I've got a band aid and a piece of medical tape on it.  I'm happy that my mother knew what to do and doctored it up for me so that I didn't have to go to the emergency room.  :P

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10569229_10152514266355042_1261398873_n.jpg?oh=a90952f64b3b239887029c0c3eeec152&oe=53CE1FE2&__gda__=1406021875_5a8e26e38feae98e168ec2eaa5784f5b

This is what happens when you don't take precautions with trying to get things unstuck from a push mower that has sharp blades.  :P

Thank god you're ok. You have to take care the next time it happens.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/14 at 2:37 pm

I'll pray for him.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/21/14 at 3:38 pm

Thank god you're ok. You have to take care the next time it happens.

I know.  I didn't know it that it would happen because I've always been able to get things unstuck from the blade and been able to move my hand out of the way of the blade pretty quickly.  But I guess I wasn't fast enough.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/14 at 5:39 pm

I'll pray for him.

Thanks Howard, and everyone else too!  :) :)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/14 at 9:54 pm

So...I woke up from a dream and the only thing I remember is someone saying "the name of your cottage is Pix Nickels". So now I feeing I have to make a little sign that says "Pix Nickels" and put it on the mailbox ::)

Written By: karen on 07/22/14 at 2:25 am

So...I woke up from a dream and the only thing I remember is someone saying "the name of your cottage is Pix Nickels". So now I feeing I have to make a little sign that says "Pix Nickels" and put it on the mailbox ::)

Maybe there's a property with that name already, and you are destined to move there

Written By: karen on 07/22/14 at 10:27 am

Just been to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 and spotted trailers for some more films that look good.

Good film but nothing like the book according to James.

Then we wandered around the shops looking for stuff for Superheroes outfits at scout camp.  Nowhere sells red t-shirts (at least not at a price I'm prepared to pay given I'm modifying it into a costume)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/14 at 3:15 pm

I know.  I didn't know it that it would happen because I've always been able to get things unstuck from the blade and been able to move my hand out of the way of the blade pretty quickly.  But I guess I wasn't fast enough.

Some things may be faster than you but we have to have the quickness to move away from what it's doing.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/22/14 at 4:00 pm

Some things may be faster than you but we have to have the quickness to move away from what it's doing.

I learned that the hard way.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/14 at 12:14 am

My nephew and I are starting to get along again. He's 19, turning 20 in November. Could be he's slowly getting out of adolescence and getting into young adulthood.

But I think he's one of those people who are extremely sensitive and can soak up depression, anxiety, etc, etc, very easily. So when I was in my depression he emotionally detached from me, not out of meanness but because he's a very passionate person and soaks up emotions too easily. Glad to see our relationship isn't over!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/14 at 10:53 am

My nephew and I are starting to get along again. He's 19, turning 20 in November. Could be he's slowly getting out of adolescence and getting into young adulthood.

But I think he's one of those people who are extremely sensitive and can soak up depression, anxiety, etc, etc, very easily. So when I was in my depression he emotionally detached from me, not out of meanness but because he's a very passionate person and soaks up emotions too easily. Glad to see our relationship isn't over!

Carlos says that people enter into this tunnel around the age of 12 or 13. The emerge from it about the age of 18-19 and you HOPE when they emerge from it they are human.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/14 at 11:20 am

Carlos says that people enter into this tunnel around the age of 12 or 13. The emerge from it about the age of 18-19 and you HOPE when they emerge from it they are human.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Yup the earliest is age eleven, the latest is fourteen. Then by twenty one most are sane again.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/23/14 at 3:22 pm

Glad to see you and your nephew made amends with each other.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/14 at 8:58 pm

Glad to see you and your nephew made amends with each other.

Karma.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/14 at 4:02 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/9272_10152575493815056_2368118577115832249_n.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/25/14 at 7:12 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/9272_10152575493815056_2368118577115832249_n.jpg

It's going to be a nice weekend, weather-wise.

Written By: karen on 07/25/14 at 12:19 pm

Had a great start to the day.  I was morris dancing at a summer playscheme for special needs children. 

Only four dancers could make it today but I think it worked.  We did a couple of dances and then handed out morris sticks, bells and tambourines to the children and staff.  We then taught them a very simplified version of one of our dances and everyone had great fun joining in.  We did another couple of dances with the children jingling, clapping or patting sticks together in time with us.  then we did another joining in dance and John our musician played some pipe music that we could clap along to or make up a few dance steps to.

It was a very sunny day, so we were glad to retreat into the cool classroom and have a drink and chat further with the children.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/14 at 1:41 pm

Had a great start to the day.  I was morris dancing at a summer playscheme for special needs children. 

Only four dancers could make it today but I think it worked.  We did a couple of dances and then handed out morris sticks, bells and tambourines to the children and staff.  We then taught them a very simplified version of one of our dances and everyone had great fun joining in.  We did another couple of dances with the children jingling, clapping or patting sticks together in time with us.  then we did another joining in dance and John our musician played some pipe music that we could clap along to or make up a few dance steps to.

It was a very sunny day, so we were glad to retreat into the cool classroom and have a drink and chat further with the children.

Sounds wonderful.

Cat

Written By: annimal on 07/26/14 at 4:50 pm

My parents and I are back

Written By: Howard on 07/26/14 at 6:12 pm

My parents and I are back

Welcome Back Ann. :)

Written By: karen on 07/27/14 at 9:03 am

Yesterday we went to Leicester Music Festival at the Tigers Rugby Stadium.  It started with a few local bands and then some older known bands came on followed by some current charters.

The local bands were pretty good; we picked up a couple of promotional CDs.

The Real Thing managed to make Can't Get By Without You, Can You Feel the Force? and You To Me Are Everything last over half an hour by repeated crowd sing-alongs etc.

UB40 were promoting their new album which includes various reggae standards, so their set included a Specials number and Purple Rain as well as things like Red, Red Wine and Rat in my kitchen

The last band we watched was The Saturdays.  I didn't really know their stuff but the kids were singing along.

We left during the DJ set - not really our type of thing and sound/mic problems made it flat and boring.

Overall a good day

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/14 at 9:13 am

Yesterday we went to Leicester Music Festival at the Tigers Rugby Stadium.  It started with a few local bands and then some older known bands came on followed by some current charters.

The Real Thing managed to make Can't Get By Without You, Can You Feel the Force? and You To Me Are Everything last over half an hour by repeated crowd sing-alongs etc.

UB40 were promoting their new album which includes various reggae standards, so their set included a Specials number and Purple Rain as well as things like Red, Red Wine and Rat in my kitchen

The last band we watched was The Saturdays.  I didn't really know their stuff but the kids were singing along.

We left during the DJ set - not really our type of thing and sound/mic problems made it flat and boring.

Overall a good day
Good to see that The Real Thing are still around, UB40 too.

Written By: karen on 07/27/14 at 1:28 pm

Good to see that The Real Thing are still around, UB40 too.

Kool and the Gang also played.

Written By: karen on 07/27/14 at 1:32 pm

Dai is in a funny situation at the moment.  He is on what is known as gardening leave from work. 

He has a new job at a rival company so he is not allowed on the premises, although he's not due to start work with them until September.  They do need him to do some handover so he'll need the occasional day in, but it means we can do some days out during the school holidays

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/14 at 2:01 pm

Kool and the Gang also played.
Amazing!

Written By: Howard on 07/27/14 at 2:34 pm

Overall a good day

I've heard of The Real Thing a couple of years ago as well as UB40 and Kool And The Gang. Glad to see they're still going strong. :)

Written By: karen on 07/28/14 at 10:21 am

My friend Jo is visiting from the US.  We met in Connecticut (another Brit whose hubby worked at the same company as Dai).  She recently moved to North Carolina so we couldn't meet up when I went to the US at Christmas.

Anyway we met today in a park.  Loads of us who'd been friends in the US got back together.  The kids had a good time playing on the play equipment (my two also went off to play mini golf) and we had a picnic.  It was great to catch up with everyone, meet the new additions, comment on how much the other children had grown etc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/14 at 11:30 am

Dai is in a funny situation at the moment.  He is on what is known as gardening leave from work. 

He has a new job at a rival company so he is not allowed on the premises, although he's not due to start work with them until September.  They do need him to do some handover so he'll need the occasional day in, but it means we can do some days out during the school holidays

Is he getting paid?

Also, this may be a great opportunity for you guys to come back to the States for another visit.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/28/14 at 3:26 pm

Is he getting paid?

Also, this may be a great opportunity for you guys to come back to the States for another visit.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

He is getting paid, but we won't be able to come and visit unfortunately.  Various vacation plans are already in place, plus I have to go to work occasionally.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/14 at 4:51 pm

He is getting paid, but we won't be able to come and visit unfortunately.  Various vacation plans are already in place, plus I have to go to work occasionally.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Maybe next year.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/31/14 at 3:10 am

Yesterday we went to The Making of Harry Potter Studio Tour.

It was great.  You got to go into the actual Great Hall set and then look at several other sets such as the boys dormitory, Gryffindor common room, Dumbledore's office and the potions room.  There was a great display on how they did the various flight scenes and also a look at the animatronics section.  It was really interesting to see how they draw things out and then make small paper mock-ups before building the final thing.

Today and tomorrow we are getting ready for our various holiday trips.  James and Elizabeth are both going to Scout camp and we are going to the Lake District for a week's orienteering.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/14 at 10:29 am

Better now that my finger isn't looking as bad as it was.  :) Except for a little pain every time I put pressure on it.  :)

Written By: karen on 07/31/14 at 11:58 am

Had my hair cut today.  It's quite bit shorter than I've had it for a while.  James says it looks funky

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/14 at 12:44 pm

Had my hair cut today.  It's quite bit shorter than I've had it for a while.  James says it looks funky

Is funky good?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/31/14 at 4:08 pm

Better now that my finger isn't looking as bad as it was.  :) Except for a little pain every time I put pressure on it.  :)

that's good news, hope you learned the lesson so the next time it happens you'll be aware of it.

Written By: annimal on 07/31/14 at 4:48 pm

needed a new plug for my computer so now I can come back here and post.

Written By: Bobby on 07/31/14 at 4:57 pm

Overall a good day

I am so jealous, Karen.

UB40 are one of my favourite bands. I have all three of their Labour of Love albums.  This is probably my favourite song of theirs:

qLlntqJHcPM

I'm surprised The Real Thing are still doing. I like the songs 'Can't get by without you' and 'You to me are everything'.

I went to my religious congregation tonight and I was chatting with a single lady called Kerrie. We seem to be very similar...and I think I really like her.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/14 at 5:29 pm

that's good news, hope you learned the lesson so the next time it happens you'll be aware of it.

I did.  Next time I wear heavy duty garden gloves.  :)

Written By: nally on 07/31/14 at 11:16 pm

I did.  Next time I wear heavy duty garden gloves.  :)

I try to remember that too, whenever I do gardening and expect to handle sharp pointy pieces of plant.

Written By: karen on 08/01/14 at 3:02 am

I am so jealous, Karen.

UB40 are one of my favourite bands. I have all three of their Labour of Love albums. 

They are still on tour, and I think will be near you later this year

http://www.ub40.co.uk/performances.html

Written By: Howard on 08/01/14 at 2:43 pm

UB40 are one of my favourite bands. I have all three of their Labour of Love albums. 

I like Red Red Wine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc

Written By: annimal on 08/01/14 at 2:46 pm

I have been looking up plants and making plans to start some kind of butterfly garden.  I'm going to get some Gazania ( aster family and will be eaten by Buckeye butterflies in September if none other at any times)  and Verbena Bonarinces ( Buckeye Host if nothing else).  I know I have a beautiful tiger swallowtail that comes to eat from my butterfly bush not planted where my garden will be.  The USDA hardiness zone here in Modesto is 9 and my soil is clay although I have a lot of pots and potting soil.

Check for new replies or respond here...