inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Step into September! What's going on this month?

Written By: nally on 09/01/14 at 10:18 am

Yep, it's another new month! As I say every month, may it be a good one for us all...

Today, being U.S. Labor Day, I will probably stay home for most of the day with my family.

Subject: Re: Step into September! What's going on this month?

Written By: karen on 09/01/14 at 4:25 pm

Back at work today.  Children don't go back to school until Thursday

Written By: nally on 09/02/14 at 11:12 pm

Back to the daily grind today for me... right now I'm doing a "payroll simulation", in which I am applying everything I learned about payroll and how to use it in an actual setting.

Written By: nally on 09/04/14 at 10:40 pm

By the way, I now estimate to be finished with my accounting program by the 19th of this month.

Written By: nally on 09/08/14 at 11:46 pm

So today (Monday) I finally started the final element of my accounting course...Quickbooks Pro!! :)

This should take me about two weeks to do, but since it is self-paced, I will take my time and make sure I understand the material well.

After that I should hopefully see about getting a job, or at least an internship.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:43 pm

So today (Monday) I finally started the final element of my accounting course...Quickbooks Pro!! :)

This should take me about two weeks to do, but since it is self-paced, I will take my time and make sure I understand the material well.

After that I should hopefully see about getting a job, or at least an internship.

Good Luck.

Written By: nally on 09/09/14 at 7:48 pm

Good Luck.

Thank you. So far it seems a bit complicated at first, but I will eventually catch on. :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/14 at 8:28 pm

did the Avon Breast Cancer Walk this past weekend....  it's 39.3 miles in two days... a full marathon on Sat and a half marathon on Sunday.

I managed to do over 9 miles on day one and just under 8 miles on day two so i averaged 17 miles in two days...

I raised 1800$ thanks to the generous donations of friends and colleagues and the generosity of random strangers!

on the whole the Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Avon Walk raised 4.6 million dollars... 200,000 over what was raised last year.  the money goes to fund Breast cancer research and treatment programs all over southern california.

This was my third year. I've already signed up to do it again next year! 

I can't seem to get the photos that I posted on fb to cooperate.... maybe I'll be able to post some later....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/10/14 at 4:02 am

Next month, my stepdaughter is moving back to California to live with her adopted parents.  This past year and a half (that she lived with us) was a vacation for her.  She was supposed to let us teach her how to drive.  She was supposed to get at least a part-time job (and keep it.) (Or find another one, which she did not do.)  Her parents are driving from California, across-country, to pick her and all of her stuff up.  So, this month, we are cleaning our house and moving her stuff to the garage (for easy access when they get here.)  Can't say that I will be sad for her to go.  :-\\  At some point, we will be moving to a smaller/cheaper place before February. 

Written By: snozberries on 09/10/14 at 11:23 am

Next month, my stepdaughter is moving back to California to live with her adopted parents.  This past year and a half (that she lived with us) was a vacation for her.  She was supposed to let us teach her how to drive.  She was supposed to get at least a part-time job (and keep it.) (Or find another one, which she did not do.)  Her parents are driving from California, across-country, to pick her and all of her stuff up.  So, this month, we are cleaning our house and moving her stuff to the garage (for easy access when they get here.)  Can't say that I will be sad for her to go.  :-\\  At some point, we will be moving to a smaller/cheaper place before February.

I wanna say I'm sorry that things didn't work out but that seems inaccurate.... Sorry things took so long to get to this point.... Is that better?  ???

Hang tough. You did a good thing trying to help her out. She's an adult who wants to keep living like a teenager.  That's not on you guys. 

Written By: nally on 09/10/14 at 7:35 pm

Hang in there, Patty. I'm sure everything will eventually work itself out...

Written By: meesa on 09/13/14 at 8:51 pm

Hope everyone is well!
Sorry, it's been a while (again). Going through a major life change, and it has been a long time a'comin.
But it is a change for the better, and hopefully a happier, healthier life is in store!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/14 at 10:01 am

Hope everyone is well!
Sorry, it's been a while (again). Going through a major life change, and it has been a long time a'comin.
But it is a change for the better, and hopefully a happier, healthier life is in store!  :)

Welcome back. Sometimes change is for the better. I hope you are going to stick around.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/14/14 at 11:26 am

It was my dad's birthday on Thursday - he turned 74.  He came round our house for dinner.

On Friday it was our wedding anniversary - 22 years  :o.

Yesterday we were orienteering coaching with the junior squad.  It was a session for some new members to get to know people and learn some new techniques.

We went out for a meal last night

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/14 at 11:51 am

It was my dad's birthday on Thursday - he turned 74.  He came round our house for dinner.

Yesterday we were orienteering coaching with the junior squad.  It was a session for some new members to get to know people and learn some new techniques.

Happy Birthday to your dad and Happy Anniversary to you & Dai.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/14/14 at 2:17 pm

Hope everyone is well!

Hey meesa, How are you? :)

Written By: Howard on 09/14/14 at 2:18 pm

Happy Anniversary.

Written By: snozberries on 09/14/14 at 4:21 pm

pics from the Avon Walk I did last weekend

Don't mind the sweat on my Batgirl Hat and Supergirl cape  :D    also.... my shirt  & my button

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps356a608a.jpg  http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zpsaa9cacc7.jpg  http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps4d43cca7.jpg

and me!!!  :)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps60fc79e0.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/14 at 5:59 pm

Don't mind the sweat on my Batgirl Hat and Supergirl cape  :D    also.... my shirt  & my button

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps356a608a.jpg  http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zpsaa9cacc7.jpg  http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps4d43cca7.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/avon%20walk%202014/iPhoneUpload_zps60fc79e0.jpg

Love the cape.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/15/14 at 12:44 am

Happy birthday Karen's dad, and happy anniversary Dai and Karen.

Welcome back meesa.  Hope you get through your life changing event relatively unscathed and pain-free.

Still so proud of you Q. (You need to reward yourself with binge watching a great tv show.)  Were you relatively healthy for the walk?

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I keep telling myself that I did not fail this girl, I honestly did try (several times) but she likes being a teenager (who will be 25 in a few months) who hangs out texting her friends from all over the world and complaining about her parents.  ::)  It wouldn't have been so bad, if she had managed to do just one thing that she implied she wanted when she moved here.  I really don't want bad things to happen to her, but I know it sounds like I do. I can't figure out how to get through to her, to make her see what's coming, ready or not.  Someday it will be her time to pay the piper and she'll have wished to have taken our advice when it was available.

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/14 at 1:34 pm

Happy birthday Karen's dad, and happy anniversary Dai and Karen.

Welcome back meesa.  Hope you get through your life changing event relatively unscathed and pain-free.

Still so proud of you Q. (You need to reward yourself with binge watching a great tv show.)  Were you relatively healthy for the walk?

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I keep telling myself that I did not fair this girl, I honestly did try (several times) but she likes being a teenager who hangs out texting her friends all over the world and complaining about her parents.  ::)  Someday it will be her time to pay the piper and she'll have wished to have taken our advice when it was available.

She will learn the hard way and she will regret her decisions.  You tried harder than I would've  :D

Upper half was great. No coughing no vomiting.  After tossing my cookies everyday for 2 months it was nice to see that go away exactly one week before the walk.

My lower half was not as cooperative. I reinsured the knee I sprained at Paleyfest and my feet were killing me. Luckily no blisters tho.

My spirits were way better than the previous two years.  Year one, day two I was an emotional wreck. It taxed every fiber of my being.

Year two day two I had a mental breakdown. I swear I wanted to annihilate everyone I saw at the finish line lol

This year I was pretty pleasant to be around on both days  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/14 at 1:36 pm

Congrats on making a needed change meesa!
Happy anniversary and a few days to you Karen and dai. 

Today is my parents anniversary. To celebrate I'm going to a facts of life reunion.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/15/14 at 2:46 pm

very nice.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/14 at 2:47 pm

Today is my parents anniversary. To celebrate I'm going to a facts of life reunion.  ;D

Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/14 at 6:30 pm

Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Thx

Written By: nally on 09/15/14 at 7:18 pm

Hope everyone is well!

Glad to hear it! 'Tis always nice to see you around here, and I hope all else is well with ya! :)

Written By: nally on 09/15/14 at 7:19 pm

Happy belated b'day to your father and happy anniversary. :)

Written By: nally on 09/15/14 at 7:21 pm

Happy anniversary to your parents, Q... and thanks for sharing with us your pictures of the Avon Walk!

Written By: nally on 09/15/14 at 7:23 pm

As for me... I hope to finish my accounting program by the end of the month. I have three chapters left in Automated Accounting, and maybe six chapters or so remaining in Quickbooks.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/16/14 at 3:11 am

Happy anniversary to your parents, Q.  How has your dad been feeling?  And your mom too.  :-they feeling.  ;D  My "baby" brother's birthday was today (same day as your parents.)  I thought of him and I usually call, but when I thought of him earlier, it was too early.  He would have still been at work.  Now it is 4 a.m.  I don't think I'm gonna call now.  Maybe try to phone him later.  Hard to believe he is 41 now.  Time flies.

Cooler weather has moved in, the average temperature in the mornings now is 40 degrees F (4.444444 Celcius).  brrrrrr.  I'm not ready to tell summer to go away just yet.  Alas, it isn't waiting for me to tell it.

Written By: snozberries on 09/16/14 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the well wishes to my parents everyone.

WTG Jeff! Good luck on the last 3 chapters.  What's next? Does the program help with job placement? Or give you job referrals?

Happy birthday to your baby brother Patty.

My dad is still in this strange roller coaster of near death and then somehow bounces back to some former shell of himself.  He's partially ambulatory but falls down a lot and can't really care for himself.  My mom is exhausted. But thanks for asking.

I read about your future plans in another thread and I'm excited for you.  I love Satay and peanut sauce.  If I were moving to Thailand I'd eat that every damn day.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/16/14 at 2:55 pm

As for me... I hope to finish my accounting program by the end of the month. I have three chapters left in Automated Accounting, and maybe six chapters or so remaining in Quickbooks.

Good Luck.

Written By: nally on 09/16/14 at 7:42 pm

WTG Jeff! Good luck on the last 3 chapters.  What's next? Does the program help with job placement? Or give you job referrals?

Yes, it should do both.

Written By: nally on 09/16/14 at 7:43 pm

My dad is still in this strange roller coaster of near death and then somehow bounces back to some former shell of himself.  He's partially ambulatory but falls down a lot and can't really care for himself.  My mom is exhausted. But thanks for asking.

yeah, I was wondering about that too. Do keep us posted if anything else happens.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/19/14 at 11:36 am

Glad he is doing somewhat better.  I'm sorry about your mom being exhausted, caretaking is VERY hard.  I do not have the patience to do it very well anymore.  I mean, I did it because it was the right thing to do, when mom was having her various surgeries this year, but I don't have what it takes to do it on a permanent full-time basis.  I tried to get her to get an at-home nurse come in, but someone made the mistake of saying that Medicare wouldn't pay for it unless she actually stayed home.  She is a gasolene ass (in other words, she is almost never home.)  She would not agree to having a nurse come in.  :-\\

I read about your future plans in another thread and I'm excited for you.  I love Satay and peanut sauce.  If I were moving to Thailand I'd eat that every damn day.  ;D

Not sure I've ever had Satay, but I do tend to like veggie stir fry, so I think I could do ok there.  Except for bugs.  Not looking forward to that.  At all.  Not a big fan.  I am trying to figure out a way that we can get there sooner, rather then later.  I feel so guilty that I would leave my mom when she's had such a rough year.  She has a tendency to flip out if I move too far away.  I have not told her about our plans.  I just don't know how.  We aren't really ready to go right now anyway, it is alot of stress getting rid of things.  I so want to get rid of stuff, but am having such a hard time actually letting go of it all.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/19/14 at 11:39 am

That is great Jeff.  Are you getting a new degree or being certified as an accountant or something?  I'm sorry I missed your original plans somewhere.

Written By: nally on 09/19/14 at 10:53 pm

That is great Jeff.  Are you getting a new degree or being certified as an accountant or something?  I'm sorry I missed your original plans somewhere.

It's for a certification in accounting. :) This is an accredited program, and it's self paced... and I think I'm going to finish it by the end of this month. (I have one full-length exercise left in Automated Accounting, and am halfway through Quickbooks.)

When I finish it, I hope to get a job as an accountant or something similar.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/20/14 at 10:04 am

Hi everyone.

So I have the time to post on here now. Looking forward to reading all the topic replies! And posting of course.

This month isn't as busy as the last three months were. So I'm loving all the free time, I can work on my hobbies and other things. I just had a birthday on the 16th. It was a great day!

I'm really looking forward to Fall and Winter.

Nice to see everyone again!

Written By: nally on 09/20/14 at 11:35 am

Hi everyone.

So I have the time to post on here now. Looking forward to reading all the topic replies! And posting of course.

This month isn't as busy as the last three months were. So I'm loving all the free time, I can work on my hobbies and other things. I just had a birthday on the 16th. It was a great day!

Same to you, Jessica! And happy belated birthday. :) 8)

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/20/14 at 12:07 pm

Same to you, Jessica! And happy belated birthday. :) 8)

Thanks Jeffrey! And you did send me good birthday wishes on Facebook as well. I really appreciate it.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/20/14 at 12:09 pm

Glad he is doing somewhat better.  I'm sorry about your mom being exhausted, caretaking is VERY hard.  I do not have the patience to do it very well anymore.  I mean, I did it because it was the right thing to do, when mom was having her various surgeries this year, but I don't have what it takes to do it on a permanent full-time basis.  I tried to get her to get an at-home nurse come in, but someone made the mistake of saying that Medicare wouldn't pay for it unless she actually stayed home.  She is a gasolene ass (in other words, she is almost never home.)  She would not agree to having a nurse come in.  :-\\

Not sure I've ever had Satay, but I do tend to like veggie stir fry, so I think I could do ok there.  Except for bugs.  Not looking forward to that.  At all.  Not a big fan.  I am trying to figure out a way that we can get there sooner, rather then later.  I feel so guilty that I would leave my mom when she's had such a rough year.  She has a tendency to flip out if I move too far away.  I have not told her about our plans.  I just don't know how.  We aren't really ready to go right now anyway, it is alot of stress getting rid of things.  I so want to get rid of stuff, but am having such a hard time actually letting go of it all.

Thanks

Gasoline ass.    ;D
Sorry it's been a rough year for your mom and you by extension.

Get thy ass to a Thai place and have satay....it's just meat on a stuck u dip in peanut sauce.  I had some yesterday because id been thinking about it since posting. 
The bugs are a nuisance but the adventure will be fun. 
Whenever u go I'm excited that you may get the chance to have this experience.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 6:12 pm

Hi everyone.

nice to see you back. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/20/14 at 6:22 pm

nice to see you back. :)

Thanks Howard! :)

Written By: nally on 09/20/14 at 10:15 pm

Thanks Jeffrey! And you did send me good birthday wishes on Facebook as well. I really appreciate it.  :)

Glad you appreciated it. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 11:13 am

So today is Sunday cleaning day. Did some cleaning around the house, used the vacuum cleaner quite a bit. I love doing that!

It is very cloudy today, such a difference from last week it was really sunny.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/21/14 at 11:26 am

My writing is finally moving forward...fast!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/14 at 11:43 am

YAY!

Many a writers will tell you that some stories write themselves.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/21/14 at 11:48 am

YAY!

Many a writers will tell you that some stories write themselves.

Cat

Coooool. :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 12:35 pm

So today is Sunday cleaning day. Did some cleaning around the house, used the vacuum cleaner quite a bit. I love doing that!

I have to do that too.  I started on it on sat.  My landlords were gone so I decided to have an impromptu yard sale. Actually I planned on it last week end but was too lazy... This week I worked a lot so I couldn't do as much as I wanted. I decided to wait til the last minute to advertise and couldn't find the tape so I couldn't put out signs.  No on one showed up off my Craig's list and yard sale app ads  :P

At least I got some DVDs together to take to fye and crap together for good will so I made some room to put stuff away.

Now to start cleaning. Bet I find the tape in no time  :D

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 1:19 pm

I have to do that too.  I started on it on sat.  My landlords were gone so I decided to have an impromptu yard sale. Actually I planned on it last week end but was too lazy... This week I worked a lot so I couldn't do as much as I wanted. I decided to wait til the last minute to advertise and couldn't find the tape so I couldn't put out signs.  No on one showed up off my Craig's list and yard sale app ads  :P

At least I got some DVDs together to take to fye and crap together for good will so I made some room to put stuff away.

Now to start cleaning. Bet I find the tape in no time  :D

How is the yard sale going?

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 2:04 pm

How is the yard sale going?

It was yesterday....no one showed up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/14 at 2:17 pm

I have had a few yard sales like that. One sale I told one item for a total of 50 cents.  ::)

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 2:25 pm

I have had a few yard sales like that. One sale I told one item for a total of 50 cents.  ::)

Cat

I was thinking of doing a yard sale during the Summer, but I ended up donating most of the items.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/14 at 2:35 pm

I was thinking of doing a yard sale during the Summer, but I ended up donating most of the items.

We plan on having a BIG one next year. We have got so much crap stuff we want to get rid of.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 2:41 pm

Cat

Yeah it sucked but I had effie out w me so I bombed the house.  She had fleas (we live in a wooded area) and because of the drought there's been a major ant infestation in the county so my yard sale served one purpose.  Two.... Heading out to drop off my donations.  And exchange my duplicate DVDs

Written By: Howard on 09/21/14 at 3:27 pm

I love cleaning my room.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/14 at 3:27 pm

wonderful, keep up the good work.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/14 at 3:28 pm

Why not?

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 5:35 pm

I love cleaning my room.

And there's nothing better than a clean room!

Written By: nally on 09/21/14 at 5:57 pm

That is GREAT news! I'm happy for ya. O0

Written By: nally on 09/21/14 at 5:59 pm

We were actually thinking of doing that with some of the stuff in my grandma's house as we were cleaning it out, but we figured it would be a bit problematic. So we, too, donated a good number of items.

Written By: nally on 09/21/14 at 6:00 pm

I love cleaning my room.

I have to do that periodically too, but in most cases I feel I can't get it all accomplished in one day.

I agree! I absolutely HATE clutter.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 6:18 pm

At risk of sounding stupid, is a back yard sale a sale that occurs in your garden?

I don't think people in the UK do that so much. The closest we get is a car boot sale which is basically a patch of land where people park their cars and literally sell goods (usually second-hand) from the boot of their cars.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 6:33 pm

At risk of sounding stupid, is a back yard sale a sale that occurs in your garden?

I don't think people in the UK do that so much. The closest we get is a car boot sale which is basically a patch of land where people park their cars and literally sell goods (usually second-hand) from the boot of their cars.

It's very similar to the car boot sale you mentioned. Here in this state, people have yard sales at the most random places too. Not just at their homes. And it's usually selling things/items that people give away for some cash.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 6:38 pm

It's very similar to the car boot sale you mentioned. Here in this state, people have yard sales at the most random places too. Not just at their homes. And it's usually selling things/items that people give away for some cash.

Ah, I see. Flexible retail conditions.  :)

I suppose if you have something to sell and a person to sell it to anywhere is appropriate.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/21/14 at 6:47 pm

Ah, I see. Flexible retail conditions.  :)

I suppose if you have something to sell and a person to sell it to anywhere is appropriate.

Ever been to a swap meet? Here in Rhode Island we call them Flea markets. It's basically the same thing, only difference is the Flea market is like an "open house".

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 6:56 pm

Ever been to a swap meet? Here in Rhode Island we call them Flea markets. It's basically the same thing, only difference is the Flea market is like an "open house".

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what a swap meet is. We had an open-air market where I was born and bred in Wolverhampton. Is it something like that?

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 9:20 pm

Why not?

Because I didn't get signs up.

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 9:22 pm

It's just a yard sale.  People put stuff out in front of their house for sale.  They are also called garage sales here.  Garage is American for car boot. 

Written By: snozberries on 09/21/14 at 9:25 pm

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what a swap meet is. We had an open-air market where I was born and bred in Wolverhampton. Is it something like that?

Swap meets and flea markets are essentially like a large yard sale. Perhaps you're familiar with the term rummage sale.....it's all the same thing basically.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/22/14 at 10:43 am

I'm off from work this week, other than that, nothing new(outside of this being my first post last week or so).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/14 at 11:16 am

Yard sale = Garage sale = Tag sale.

There are also estate sales, rummage sales, flea markets, swap meets, antiques malls, & second hand stores. I'm sure there are others I have missed.

I always joke when I see a sign, "Do you want to buy a yard?" or "Do you want to buy a garage?" etc. etc.

It's just a yard sale.  People put stuff out in front of their house for sale.  They are also called garage sales here.  Garage is American for car boot. 

I thought a car boot was the trunk. (Please members from the U.K. correct me if I am wrong.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 2:26 pm

We used to have a maid cleaning our house but now money is tight that she cannot afford one right now so now I clean my own room.

Written By: snozberries on 09/22/14 at 6:10 pm

Yard sale = Garage sale = Tag sale.

There are also estate sales, rummage sales, flea markets, swap meets, antiques malls, & second hand stores. I'm sure there are others I have missed.

I always joke when I see a sign, "Do you want to buy a yard?" or "Do you want to buy a garage?" etc. etc.

I thought a car boot was the trunk. (Please members from the U.K. correct me if I am wrong.)

Cat

I dunno....maybe....the concept is still the same tho.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/22/14 at 10:55 pm

wonderful, keep up the good work.

Thanks!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/22/14 at 10:56 pm

That is GREAT news! I'm happy for ya. O0

Karma.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/23/14 at 12:49 am

Swap meets and flea markets are essentially like a large yard sale. Perhaps you're familiar with the term rummage sale.....it's all the same thing basically.

Yeah, pretty much. They happen all the time (usu. on the weekend) in my neighborhood. In fact, the neighbors directly across the street from us had another one this past weekend.

Written By: nally on 09/23/14 at 12:54 am

We used to have a maid cleaning our house but now money is tight that she cannot afford one right now so now I clean my own room.

Probably a good idea then.  One time about 4 or 5 years ago, we tried hiring one for my late grandmother, but let's just say it did not work out exactly as planned.

Written By: nally on 09/23/14 at 7:39 pm

Well, I now have about three chapters left in Quickbooks, and I should probably get 'em all done within the next week or so. After that I'll be completed with the course!! Sometime around completion, I should find out something regarding an internship or externship, so that I can apply all that I've learned before going into a job setting. We'll see.

Written By: snozberries on 09/23/14 at 9:21 pm

Well, I now have about three chapters left in Quickbooks, and I should probably get 'em all done within the next week or so. After that I'll be completed with the course!! Sometime around completion, I should find out something regarding an internship or externship, so that I can apply all that I've learned before going into a job setting. We'll see.

WTG

I can honestly say I've never heard the term externship....please explain

(Yes I could google it but this is easier)  ;)

Written By: karen on 09/24/14 at 11:30 am

Cat

You are correct.

Bobby

A yard sale is selling off your unwanted items at the front of your house.  So like a car boot sale but you can sell bigger items such as furniture without the hassle of transporting them.  Plus you don't have to pay for the pitch

A lot of American homes have much bigger front gardens than we do, and are more open plan.

Written By: nally on 09/24/14 at 10:54 pm

WTG

I can honestly say I've never heard the term externship....please explain

(Yes I could google it but this is easier)  ;)

I know, but sometimes I like to google things if I'm not entirely sure what they mean, so I can get a clearer picture. Lemme do that.

Okay, an externship is...a temporary training program in a workplace, especially one offered to students as part of a course of study. It is generally shorter than an internship, usually lasting for a few weeks to a few months.

So, after I finish my studies, I could start on one of these, to gain some experience with what I've been learning for the past 7 or 8 months.

Written By: nally on 09/24/14 at 10:57 pm

Oh, btw, one student in the class finished up his course of study today; i.e., he "graduated", so several of the people in the class took him out to lunch at a nearby Black Angus restaurant! I came along, so, there were 10 of us altogether. So we had a great time. 8) :) O0

And now I'm looking at sometime next week (date TBD) at finishing up all my studies.

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/14 at 11:07 pm

I know, but sometimes I like to google things if I'm not entirely sure what they mean, so I can get a clearer picture. Lemme do that.

Okay, an externship is...a temporary training program in a workplace, especially one offered to students as part of a course of study. It is generally shorter than an internship, usually lasting for a few weeks to a few months.

So, after I finish my studies, I could start on one of these, to gain some experience with what I've been learning for the past 7 or 8 months.

Thanks for the info...

I like looking things up too but I was tired last night.

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/14 at 11:09 pm

You are correct.

Bobby

A yard sale is selling off your unwanted items at the front of your house.  So like a car boot sale but you can sell bigger items such as furniture without the hassle of transporting them.  Plus you don't have to pay for the pitch

A lot of American homes have much bigger front gardens than we do, and are more open plan.

Thanks for clearing that up..... Now can u clear this up???

Pay for the pitch...

Is that a way of saying pay for the sales pitch or is pitch English-English for some thing we say differently in American-English?

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/14 at 11:20 am

Yes, that is correct, Cat. The car boot is the 'trunk' and the bonnet is the 'hood'.

Ah, now that makes sense because the gardens in the UK, even the corner houses, are often very small (depending on where you live sometimes reduced to just concrete pathways). I was thinking; "a garden sale must be pretty claustrophic".  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/14 at 11:31 am

Yes, that is correct, Cat. The car boot is the 'trunk' and the bonnet is the 'hood'.

Ah, now that makes sense because the gardens in the UK, even the corner houses, are often very small (depending on where you live sometimes reduced to just concrete pathways). I was thinking; "a garden sale must be pretty claustrophic".  ;D

typically you take the car out of the garage....

http://twoadoptionstories.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TAS_GarageSale12.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/14 at 11:38 am

Like many garages in the U.S. it so full of a bunch of crap stuff, that you can't get your car into it. Like mine.

Yup-that is nothing like putting all your junk outside in your yard in hopes that it goes away.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/14 at 11:40 am

I see. Gardens in the UK tend to be more reclusive, often fenced/walled off and garages tend to be smaller than that. In hilly Plymouth where I live it would be a nightmare as most of the gardens are uneven (often sloping downhill).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/14 at 12:06 pm

My kitten was spayed this morning. The vet said she is waking up and should be able to come home after 2 this afternoon.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/25/14 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for clearing that up..... Now can u clear this up???

Pay for the pitch...

Is that a way of saying pay for the sales pitch or is pitch English-English for some thing we say differently in American-English?

No clue what the American might be.  When you go to a car boot sale you pay the organiser a fee for the space you have to set up your stall (typically car boot plus rickety table or two)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 3:41 pm

Oh, btw, one student in the class finished up his course of study today; i.e., he "graduated", so several of the people in the class took him out to lunch at a nearby Black Angus restaurant! I came along, so, there were 10 of us altogether. So we had a great time. 8) :) O0

And now I'm looking at sometime next week (date TBD) at finishing up all my studies.

congrats to him.  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/25/14 at 3:53 pm

Good for him! And all the best to you and lots of luck with your studies, Jeffrey.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/14 at 4:00 pm

No clue what the American might be.  When you go to a car boot sale you pay the organiser a fee for the space you have to set up your stall (typically car boot plus rickety table or two)

If you do a flea market, you also have to pay for space. We pay rent every month for our booth at an antique mall.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/14 at 5:52 pm

oh okay like a space rental fee.... they have those at flea markets.

If you do a flea market, you also have to pay for space. We pay rent every month for our booth at an antique mall.

Cat

Cat beat me too it

Written By: nally on 09/25/14 at 10:12 pm

Somehow I remember finding out about this terminology a while ago. Thanks for the refresher. :)

Written By: nally on 09/25/14 at 10:14 pm

congrats to him.  :)

Good for him! And all the best to you and lots of luck with your studies, Jeffrey.  :)

Thank you both. :) The man's name, btw, is Jose.

Also, I just went back to this restaurant with my family this evening...for dinner. (Who'da thought I'd be going to the same restaurant two days in a row?) :D

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/26/14 at 9:45 am

Also, I just went back to this restaurant with my family this evening...for dinner. (Who'da thought I'd be going to the same restaurant two days in a row?) :D

It must be a good restaurant then! Lol.

So today is laundry day. We do this nearly every Friday. But right now we're waiting for some people to come in and change all the lights/light bulbs in the house. They have to do this, and of course we're not complaining! Lol.

Written By: nally on 09/26/14 at 11:11 am

It must be a good restaurant then! Lol.

Yes, Black Angus is a great restaurant. I like their salmon dish the best.

So today is laundry day. We do this nearly every Friday. But right now we're waiting for some people to come in and change all the lights/light bulbs in the house. They have to do this, and of course we're not complaining! Lol.

Sounds like you'll be busy then..lol. :)

Written By: nally on 09/29/14 at 7:30 pm

I definitely think I will be done with my accounting program this week. Today I started my next-to-last chapter of Quickbooks, and when I'm done with that I'll take a final on it (hopefully I'll remember everything I learned!).

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/29/14 at 8:28 pm

I definitely think I will be done with my accounting program this week. Today I started my next-to-last chapter of Quickbooks, and when I'm done with that I'll take a final on it (hopefully I'll remember everything I learned!).

That's great, I'm sure you will do excellent on it!

Written By: Howard on 09/30/14 at 3:07 pm

Good Luck.

Written By: nally on 09/30/14 at 10:14 pm

That's great, I'm sure you will do excellent on it!

Good Luck.

Thank you both! :) I will hopefully take that exam tomorrow.

And then, I probably have to do one more thing before I actually "graduate." My instructor will let me know what that is, if anything.

Written By: karen on 10/02/14 at 12:53 pm

Last Sunday James passed the next grade at karate.  This is a white brown belt - that is a white belt with a brown stripe on it.  There are now various shades of brown with various stripes on them before black belt.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/14 at 4:00 pm

Last Sunday James passed the next grade at karate.  This is a white brown belt - that is a white belt with a brown stripe on it.  There are now various shades of brown with various stripes on them before black belt.

YAY JAMES!

Check for new replies or respond here...