inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: October 2014 Monthly Thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/14 at 3:39 pm

Couldn't think of a clever name for the thread so just say exactly what it is.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Ok....GO!!!!!

Cat

Subject: Re: October 2014 Monthly Thread

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/30/14 at 5:56 pm

I think I made the first October post on this forum.

Wednesday, October 1st, 2014: 12:55 AM Central European Daylight Saving Time.  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/30/14 at 10:29 pm

This should be the month that I finally finish my accounting program... and get an internship, externship, or even a paid job! We'll see.

It all starts, however, with a Quickbooks final project/exam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/14 at 1:22 am

White rabbit!

Back after a long while, finally connected, and now on an extended holiday.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/14 at 3:01 pm

White rabbit!

Back after a long while, finally connected, and now on an extended holiday.

glad to see you back.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/14 at 3:02 pm

This month will make it 4 years at Ozone Park Pathmark. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/01/14 at 6:22 pm

Ok, so this month I have two very important appointments to go to. I know, there's nothing really exciting about that! ::) ;D

I just like October because it begins to look more like Fall, which means it is almost late Fall/Winter, and that means the holidays are almost here. Best time of the year!

Written By: nally on 10/01/14 at 7:03 pm

This should be the month that I finally finish my accounting program... and get an internship, externship, or even a paid job! We'll see.

It all starts, however, with a Quickbooks final project/exam.

Today I ended up not taking said final exam; not only was I not quite ready for it, but I still had to finish up a final exercise. I just wanna make sure I know the material well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/14 at 12:25 am

Today I ended up not taking said final exam; not only was I not quite ready for it, but I still had to finish up a final exercise. I just wanna make sure I know the material well.
Good luck!

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/14 at 10:04 am

Technically... This should go in the Sept thread.... but I'm a rebel! 

Went to the premiere of the Judge last night.... FANTASTIC film! Great performances by Robert Duvall and Robert Downey Jr.  I didn't see RDJ but I was feet away from Duvall the man is a legend.  I got to talk to the director and told him how much I loved the film... I think I convinced him to come present it at UCSB... I gotta call my friends in the film dept and see if I can make that happen before he forgets me!

Written By: karen on 10/02/14 at 12:55 pm

Dai started his new job yesterday.  After 25 years with the same company it will be a big change.

Busy at work myself, we have an open day this coming Saturday and I do all the prepping of the various demonstrations/experiments we set out.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/14 at 3:59 pm

Dai started his new job yesterday.  After 25 years with the same company it will be a big change.

Busy at work myself, we have an open day this coming Saturday and I do all the prepping of the various demonstrations/experiments we set out.

congratulations to Dai!!! 

Written By: nally on 10/02/14 at 7:27 pm

Good luck!

Thanks!!

And today I completed the Quickbooks exam. It was a bit challenging, but not as much as I thought it would be.

Tomorrow I will need to take a special "electronic" exam there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/14 at 9:44 pm

Thanks!!

And today I completed the Quickbooks exam. It was a bit challenging, but not as much as I thought it would be.

Tomorrow I will need to take a special "electronic" exam there.
No distractions today, just do what you need to do.

Written By: nally on 10/03/14 at 12:34 am

No distractions today, just do what you need to do.

I've been good at avoiding distractions for the most part; I can usually stay focused on what I need to do. However, I do occasionally get the one little distraction.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 7:34 am

wish Dai good luck.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 7:35 am

I have to bring in my computer to the repair shop later, the hard drive has been making noises so I may be off for just a few days.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/03/14 at 10:25 am

Lots of luck to him and all the best, Karen. :)

Written By: karen on 10/03/14 at 1:12 pm

my feet ache.  Despite saying we wouldn't leave work late today it was still over an hour after normal time before I left.  We also managed to set off the fire alarm again which was entertaining!

School Open Day tomorrow.  I'll be in early just to do any final checks and then I'll be in for the lunchtime/clear up shift.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 5:05 pm

I have to bring in my computer to the repair shop later, the hard drive has been making noises so I may be off for just a few days.

Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the computer but I have the store's number just in case if something happens again I will give him a call.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/14 at 5:41 pm

Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the computer but I have the store's number just in case if something happens again I will give him a call.
My computer back home makes noises and all is fine.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/14 at 5:48 pm

My computer back home makes noises and all is fine.

Could it be the hard drive? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/14 at 6:02 pm

Could it be the hard drive? ???
The hard drive does have moving parts.

Written By: nally on 10/03/14 at 7:41 pm

So today (Fri.) I took an electronic exam (on the computer) that had two parts: a "reading" section and a "math" section. I did well on both. I also went out to lunch with 12 of the people in my class, so it was quite a celebration. In addition, my instructor has set up a (temporary) internship for me, in which I will help him out with some things; that starts Monday.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/14 at 9:21 pm

So today (Fri.) I took an electronic exam (on the computer) that had two parts: a "reading" section and a "math" section. I did well on both. I also went out to lunch with 12 of the people in my class, so it was quite a celebration. In addition, my instructor has set up a (temporary) internship for me, in which I will help him out with some things; that starts Monday.

Congrats Jeff.  Did y'all go to black angus again?

Congrats on the internship as well.  Hopefully you can parlay that into a job!

Written By: nally on 10/03/14 at 11:24 pm

Congrats Jeff.  Did y'all go to black angus again?

Yup! :) ;D It was lotsa fun.

Congrats on the internship as well.  Hopefully you can parlay that into a job!

I hope so too.

Written By: Henk on 10/03/14 at 11:58 pm

Emotionally, October is a bit of a rollercoaster month for me: October 1 marks the 7th anniversary of my mother's passing. :( On the other hand: October is also the month in which I was born (48 years ago this year), and to that I'm looking forward.

As for the "everday stuff": I have an appointment with the hairdresser today, and I'll be picking up my new glasses later today. Very much looking forward to that! 8)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/14 at 7:30 am

Congratulations. :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/04/14 at 9:16 am

Enjoying the weekend, first weekend of the month. Spending time with my parents!

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/14 at 10:44 am

Emotionally, October is a bit of a rollercoaster month for me: October 1 marks the 7th anniversary of my mother's passing. :( On the other hand: October is also the month in which I was born (48 years ago this year), and to that I'm looking forward.

As for the "everday stuff": I have an appointment with the hairdresser today, and I'll be picking up my new glasses later today. Very much looking forward to that! 8)

Sorry for your loss Henk... I know it's not on par with losing a mother but October 1st marked the 10yr anniversary of the loss of my best friend and sister.... we were so close that I once fell down during a walk in a secluded area and was feeling so pathetic I started crying while laying in the middle of the path...then I heard her voice... apparently my cell phone called her when I fell....it wasn't one of those it hit redial and called her....it was a it somehow found her number and called her (this was before smart phones so I'm not sure how it happened) but I knew I needed her and it did too...  :-\\

I have known for decades that October 1st is the date on the Golden Tickets to get into Wonka's Factory in the Williy Wonka Movie I love and quote daily... but I hadn't made that connection until the first time I watched the film after she died...again... I cried for hours... now I can't watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory without thinking of her... and I can't sing I Have a Golden Ticket without thinking of her...

Like I said it's not the same but her loss was very significant to me.

Happy Birthday month Henk... I'm sure your mom is smiling upon you wherever she is now!  :)    sounds like you'll be styling by the time you read this  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/14 at 11:02 am

Congrats.

(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

October is my mother's birthday month.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  It has been a year & a half since losing her and I still can't believe she is gone. It has been 2 & a half years since losing my dad and I still can't believe he is gone, either. Every now and again, I will think about them and the tears will start again. 

Three days after what would have been her 83rd birthday will be Carlos & my 11th anniversary. So definitely mixed feelings here, too.

Sorry for your loss Henk... I know it's not on par with losing a mother but October 1st marked the 10yr anniversary of the loss of my best friend and sister.... we were so close that I once fell down during a walk in a secluded area and was feeling so pathetic I started crying while laying in the middle of the path...then I heard her voice... apparently my cell phone called her when I fell....it wasn't one of those it hit redial and called her....it was a it somehow found her number and called her (this was before smart phones so I'm not sure how it happened) but I knew I needed her and it did too...  :-\\

I have known for decades that October 1st is the date on the Golden Tickets to get into Wonka's Factory in the Williy Wonka Movie I love and quote daily... but I hadn't made that connection until the first time I watched the film after she died...again... I cried for hours... now I can't watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory without thinking of her... and I can't sing I Have a Golden Ticket without thinking of her...

Like I said it's not the same but her loss was very significant to me.

Happy Birthday month Henk... I'm sure your mom is smiling upon you wherever she is now!  :)    sounds like you'll be styling by the time you read this  8)

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/04/14 at 6:07 pm

October is my mother's birthday month.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  It has been a year & a half since losing her and I still can't believe she is gone. It has been 2 & a half years since losing my dad and I still can't believe he is gone, either. Every now and again, I will think about them and the tears will start again.

((((hugs))))  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/04/14 at 6:12 pm

How could I have missed this?! Very sorry for your loss, Henk. Hope you have a nice time at your hairdresser appointment.

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/14 at 8:06 pm

Three days after what would have been her 83rd birthday will be Carlos & my 11th anniversary. So definitely mixed feelings here, too.

Cat

Boomerang
((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) coming your way

Written By: nally on 10/06/14 at 11:32 pm

(snip) my instructor has set up a (temporary) internship for me, in which I will help him out with some things; that starts Monday.

And today I started doing this. He showed/instructed me how to grade the tests, record the score in the gradebook, hand the papers back to students so they could review 'em, and then file them away appropriately. He also had me make photocopies. In addition, I was available to help anyone who might need assistance.

Written By: nally on 10/12/14 at 12:05 am

So today (Saturday) we had a brief memorial service for my mom's cousin who passed away this week. We then gathered for a late lunch at a Claim Jumper restaurant.

Written By: karen on 10/12/14 at 8:46 am

Yesterday was the British Schools Score Orienteering competition.  Elizabeth's school came 2nd in their category.  Some new girls came along and did quite well.  Hopefully they stick with it as we try to qualify to represent the UK in the World orienteering champs next year

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/14 at 11:44 am

Yesterday was the British Schools Score Orienteering competition.  Elizabeth's school came 2nd in their category.  Some new girls came along and did quite well.  Hopefully they stick with it as we try to qualify to represent the UK in the World orienteering champs next year

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/12/14 at 2:30 pm

So today (Saturday) we had a brief memorial service for my mom's cousin who passed away this week. We then gathered for a late lunch at a Claim Jumper restaurant.

my condolences.  :(

Written By: nally on 10/13/14 at 7:43 pm

So today I had a "mock interview" at the place where I took my accounting program. That seemed to go well, although the placement counselor (who gave the mock interview) gave me some helpful advice and suggestions on how to better in the future.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/14 at 3:22 pm

So today I had a "mock interview" at the place where I took my accounting program. That seemed to go well, although the placement counselor (who gave the mock interview) gave me some helpful advice and suggestions on how to better in the future.

that's great Jeff.  :)

Written By: nally on 10/14/14 at 10:29 pm

that's great Jeff.  :)

Thanks; these tips were helpful, and I feel that I can take them to heart for the real thing.

Written By: nally on 10/17/14 at 11:44 pm

Btw, today (Friday) I officially got presented with my certificate of completion for my accounting. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/14 at 1:13 am

Btw, today (Friday) I officially got presented with my certificate of completion for my accounting. :)
Well done!

Written By: karen on 10/18/14 at 5:29 am

Earlier this week at school it was the House Music Competition (that is a competition between the houses not house music...). Anyway. Whilst the judge was doing her deliberating there was a staff choir to sing a couple of songs.  The Headmistress introduced us as though we were going to sing some very serious pieces of light opera or similar and instead we sang two Flanders and Swann songs.

The Gas Man Cometh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

We had various staff members coming on dressed up and acting out the workers parts.  I was the carpenter!

We then sang The Hippopotamus Song (the only version I can find has a Russian chorus which we didn't do!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjnOj9O16_I

and we hammed up the final "glorious" with some fairly random 'harmonising'

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/14 at 5:44 am

Earlier this week at school it was the House Music Competition (that is a competition between the houses not house music...). Anyway. Whilst the judge was doing her deliberating there was a staff choir to sing a couple of songs.  The Headmistress introduced us as though we were going to sing some very serious pieces of light opera or similar and instead we sang two Flanders and Swann songs.

The Gas Man Cometh

We had various staff members coming on dressed up and acting out the workers parts.  I was the carpenter!

We then sang The Hippopotamus Song (the only version I can find has a Russian chorus which we didn't do!)

The Gas Man Cometh

This sounds great to hear!

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 7:29 am

that's wonderful, good for you. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/18/14 at 10:40 am

Congratulations.  Very well done

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/18/14 at 10:43 am

Good job, Elizabeth

Written By: nally on 10/18/14 at 5:27 pm

Well done!

that's wonderful, good for you. :)

Congratulations.  Very well done

Thanks all! Now I will be doing all I can to look for a job in which to apply what I've learned. While I am doing that, I will continue to intern for my instructor. In fact, yesterday I sent an electronic application to a position fairly close to where I live.

Written By: karen on 10/21/14 at 3:31 am

half term holiday which means two weeks off work.  (though I might go in to sort one or two things out and I have to feed the snake)

Elizabeth was away all weekend doing a practice expedition - three days walking, two nights camping.  Now she has a few days recovery and trying to do some school work before going to Spain for a week.  Spanish lessons and sight-seeing, plus staying with a Spanish family.

James is banned from his Kindle again!  Caught him awake in the wee small hours watching something, I think he said it was watching other people play a video game, which sounds pointless to me, but clearly amuses him.  ::)

Wish we had a second car just for the holidays.  The weather is grotty today, so it would be good to go somewhere, but its a 20 minute walk to catch a bus to go to the place we're thinking of going

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/14 at 5:12 pm

I think it is safe to say that my book is FINALLY DONE!!!! YAY!!!!! I am just going to put some things on the flashdrive and then take it to the printers. So, it will be ready for Christmas. I just hope this house will be.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/14 at 7:44 pm

I think it is safe to say that my book is FINALLY DONE!!!! YAY!!!!! I am just going to put some things on the flashdrive and then take it to the printers. So, it will be ready for Christmas. I just hope this house will be.  :-\\

Cat

That's A great idea for a Christmas gift.  Congrats on finishing so early.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/21/14 at 9:53 pm

Congratulations!  8) 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/14 at 10:34 am

That's A great idea for a Christmas gift.  Congrats on finishing so early.

I had decided it would be a Christmas gift last year-that gave me time to get the photos together and have it printed. I was hoping to get it to the printers by the 1st of Oct to give time in case something goes wrong. So I'm really late-not early.

Most of our new chandeliers went up this morning. One will be coming tomorrow.  :-\\  There are other reasons for them to come back besides that one chandelier. We have to buy a few more lighting fixtures.

And they are taking out the old oil tanks today-YAY!!!! Bye, bye Dead Dinosaurs.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/22/14 at 11:11 am

Cat

That is great news. Congrats on finishing it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/14 at 11:46 am

That is great news. Congrats on finishing it.

Thanks, considering I started it over 18 years ago.  :o :o :o :o  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/22/14 at 2:52 pm

Cat

Congrats for getting it done.

Written By: Howard on 10/22/14 at 2:53 pm

Thanks, considering I started it over 18 years ago.  :o :o :o :o  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You started it in 1996? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/14 at 3:17 pm

You started it in 1996? ???

Yup-after I graduated college but before I went to grad school. I wrote most of it that summer and then set it aside. I kept picking it back up every now & again but last year I decided that THIS was the year to finish it and give it to the kids for Christmas. I wanted to give it to them before they got too old for the story.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/22/14 at 3:52 pm

I had decided it would be a Christmas gift last year-that gave me time to get the photos together and have it printed. I was hoping to get it to the printers by the 1st of Oct to give time in case something goes wrong. So I'm really late-not early.

Most of our new chandeliers went up this morning. One will be coming tomorrow.  :-\\  There are other reasons for them to come back besides that one chandelier. We have to buy a few more lighting fixtures.

And they are taking out the old oil tanks today-YAY!!!! Bye, bye Dead Dinosaurs.

Cat

well considering I'd be getting them to the printers on Dec 15th it seems early to me!  ;)

Written By: nally on 10/22/14 at 11:24 pm

Yup-after I graduated college but before I went to grad school. I wrote most of it that summer and then set it aside. I kept picking it back up every now & again but last year I decided that THIS was the year to finish it and give it to the kids for Christmas. I wanted to give it to them before they got too old for the story.

Cat

sounds good. I have done that sorta thing with various projects I've worked on (partially) over several years.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 3:47 pm

Cat

and you could say that it was all worth it.

Written By: nally on 10/23/14 at 5:26 pm

Something happened today that I'm not ready to discuss in detail yet, 'cause I feel kinda dismal about it... but I will eventually spill the beans.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/14 at 6:09 pm

and you could say that it was all worth it.

I will know that if the kids love it or not.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/14 at 6:15 pm

I will know that if the kids love it or not.  :-\\

Cat

I'm sure they will

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/14 at 6:16 pm

Something happened today that I'm not ready to discuss in detail yet, 'cause I feel kinda dismal about it... but I will eventually spill the beans.

sorry Jeff... you know where to find us if you want to get it off your chest!  Although.... reading one of your other posts I may have figured it out...  sorry that happened.

Written By: nally on 10/23/14 at 6:25 pm

sorry Jeff... you know where to find us if you want to get it off your chest!  Although.... reading one of your other posts I may have figured it out...  sorry that happened.

Yep... I should talk about it right now.

My dad just received word today that he and his staff have been laid off. :\'( :-[

And this is really saddening because he'd been working there for 23 1/2 years!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/14 at 6:40 pm

My dad just received word today that he and his staff have been laid off. :\'( :-[

That is tough. I am sorry.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/14 at 8:42 pm

That sux Jeff I'm truly sorry. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/14 at 8:52 pm

That is terrible news, that it as a career change.

Written By: nally on 10/23/14 at 9:44 pm

That is terrible news, that it as a career change.

I know. And he really loved his job. He was a dedicated worker.

Not sure what's gonna happen next. That's why I'm trying as hard as I can to find employment. And this recently-completed accounting certificate should help open some doors for me.

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/14 at 11:28 pm

I know. And he really loved his job. He was a dedicated worker.

Not sure what's gonna happen next. That's why I'm trying as hard as I can to find employment. And this recently-completed accounting certificate should help open some doors for me.

When does H&R block start hiring???  ;)

Written By: karen on 10/24/14 at 3:09 am

Sorry to hear that Jeff.  It must be tough for you all

Written By: Howard on 10/24/14 at 7:52 am

Sorry to hear that Jeff. :(

Written By: nally on 10/24/14 at 8:36 am

When does H&R block start hiring???  ;)

hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear that Jeff.  It must be tough for you all

Definitely is.

Written By: karen on 10/24/14 at 10:29 am

Yesterday was Diwali and the city near to us has the largest Diwali celebrations outside India.  We've never been before but thought we'd check things out.

There is a very large Hindu community concentrated in one area in the city.  The main street is closed to traffic because so many people come there to meet up with friends and family and celebrate.  There are lights strung across the street, all the shops are open and in a nearby park there was a bhangra/Bollywood dance display going on.

We went to a temple to see some Rangoli patterns (coloured sand laid out in intricate designs), ate in an Indian restaurant (special buffet for the evening) and then went to see the dancing and the evening finished with fireworks.

I wouldn't necessarily want to go every year but it was interesting to do it once

Written By: nally on 10/24/14 at 6:37 pm

Yesterday was Diwali and the city near to us has the largest Diwali celebrations outside India.  We've never been before but thought we'd check things out.

There is a very large Hindu community concentrated in one area in the city.  The main street is closed to traffic because so many people come there to meet up with friends and family and celebrate.  There are lights strung across the street, all the shops are open and in a nearby park there was a bhangra/Bollywood dance display going on.

We went to a temple to see some Rangoli patterns (coloured sand laid out in intricate designs), ate in an Indian restaurant (special buffet for the evening) and then went to see the dancing and the evening finished with fireworks.

I wouldn't necessarily want to go every year but it was interesting to do it once

I would imagine it was indeed interesting... glad you got to do something out of the ordinary. :)

Written By: nally on 10/24/14 at 6:39 pm

So today I got to do a little project for some people I know; it involved helping to take down cabinets and reinstall them in a new office facility. I got plenty of exercise doing this; I was even paid in cash when finished!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/14 at 10:20 am

Going to an event with our senator Bernie Sanders and the governor. Haven't met this governor yet but we have met the previous two. We like to have friends in high places and low.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Gotta say that at the last event we went to with Bernie, he gave me a hug as in, he initiated it. I wasn't the only one he hugged. He hugged all the female vets.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 10/25/14 at 3:55 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, Jeff. Getting laid off is never a fun experience, but after 23 1/2 years...man, that sucks. :(

Written By: Henk on 10/25/14 at 4:03 pm

On a totally different note: just tonight, our choir gave a concert to celebrate their 85th anniversary. I don't know why I haven't mentioned this before. :-\\

Anyway - in my 17 year experience with the choir, I'd say this was the best concert we ever gave. 8) I think the audience agreed (judging by the standing ovation we got).

Maybe I can find some footage of the concert online, in case anyone's interested.

Written By: nally on 10/25/14 at 4:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, Jeff. Getting laid off is never a fun experience, but after 23 1/2 years...man, that sucks. :(

Yep, it sure does, especially after that long. And my dad was a very dedicated employee.

My mom has also been laid off from a job, namely six years ago (August 2008), and she was without a job for 16 months after that.

Written By: nally on 10/25/14 at 4:10 pm

Going to an event with our senator Bernie Sanders and the governor. Haven't met this governor yet but we have met the previous two. We like to have friends in high places and low.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Have fun with that.

Gotta say that at the last event we went to with Bernie, he gave me a hug as in, he initiated it. I wasn't the only one he hugged. He hugged all the female vets.

Cat

Awww...I bet that was a nice experience. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/14 at 4:26 pm

On a totally different note: just tonight, our choir gave a concert to celebrate their 85th anniversary. I don't know why I haven't mentioned this before. :-\\

Anyway - in my 17 year experience with the choir, I'd say this was the best concert we ever gave. 8) I think the audience agreed (judging by the standing ovation we got).

Maybe I can find some footage of the concert online, in case anyone's interested.

Always. I still have a copy of your Christmas concert from 2011.

BTW, I don't think I ever asked you this, what part do you sing? I always wanted to be a first soprano but  I am not.  :\'( I was able to hide out in the second soprano section for awhile but they found me. I am actually second alto.  :-\\  But then, I learned that altos have more fun.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/25/14 at 5:54 pm

That's wonderful. What instrument do you play? :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/14 at 6:00 pm

Howard, it is a choir. Choirs usually sing, not play instruments.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 10/26/14 at 1:37 am

Always. I still have a copy of your Christmas concert from 2011.

BTW, I don't think I ever asked you this, what part do you sing? I always wanted to be a first soprano but  I am not.  :\'( I was able to hide out in the second soprano section for awhile but they found me. I am actually second alto.  :-\\  But then, I learned that altos have more fun.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I'm a baritone (or at least that's what I've been singing for the past 17 years).

I already found a recording of last nights concert, but it appears to be incomplete. :-\\

What Cat said.

Written By: nally on 10/26/14 at 10:34 pm

So, today I went to a birthday gathering for a friend at a restaurant that also has a bowling alley. We ate a meal, had cake, and then played a full game of bowling. I actually did quite well, with a score of 117, which I believe is now my all-time best. (In fact, I was the only one who actually achieved a score in the triple digits!) I got one strike and a couple of spares, although one of my spares would have been a strike had it been the first roll thrown in the frame it was in, as I knocked all ten pins down on the second roll.

Written By: nally on 10/28/14 at 9:09 am

I'm a baritone (or at least that's what I've been singing for the past 17 years).

I already found a recording of last nights concert, but it appears to be incomplete. :-\\

What Cat said.

I'm sure it may be worth watching, though.

Written By: nally on 10/28/14 at 9:09 am

So yesterday I went to a little workshop (for lack of a better word) at the place where I took my accounting program, to meet with the placement adviser, not only to show my "portfolio" (a notebook consisting of a copy of my certificate and some samples of work that I've done) but also to learn more ways to find good job postings. It seemed to be helpful.

Written By: Henk on 10/28/14 at 4:30 pm

I'm sure it may be worth watching, though.

Well, the recording I found is audio only - so no point in watching.

The good news however is that a DVD will be released of the second part of our concert. I've no idea when it will be out, though.

Written By: nally on 10/28/14 at 11:57 pm

Well, the recording I found is audio only - so no point in watching.

The good news however is that a DVD will be released of the second part of our concert. I've no idea when it will be out, though.

good to know.

Written By: nally on 10/28/14 at 11:58 pm

Meanwhile, my dad is trying to adjust to life without work. It's hard for him right now, since he'd been working at the same place for such a long time... However, he will look for something new. As will I, for myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/14 at 12:38 am

Meanwhile, my dad is trying to adjust to life without work. It's hard for him right now, since he'd been working at the same place for such a long time... However, he will look for something new. As will I, for myself.
Has you father thought about editing an online newspaper?

Written By: nally on 10/29/14 at 12:49 am

Has you father thought about editing an online newspaper?

Well, most newspapers, even the ones still in print form, are also online. So, I'm not sure if this would make any difference. Right now he is just taking things one step at a time.

Written By: karen on 10/29/14 at 4:03 am

Our oven broke yesterday.  One of the elements has gone.  I've ordered a replacement but don't know when they will be able to come and fit it.  Of course it couldn't have happened last week when I started my two weeks holiday, could it?

We had pizza to cook last night so we went to my dad's to use his oven!

Someone is coming today to discuss reupholstering our sofas.  They are leather and the top surface has started to crack and peel off - quite badly on one of them.  We've priced up the replacement cost so I can compare the two.

James and I are going to London tomorrow for the day.  Probably going to the Science Museum, but we haven't decided yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/14 at 11:11 am

Our oven broke yesterday.  One of the elements has gone.  I've ordered a replacement but don't know when they will be able to come and fit it.  Of course it couldn't have happened last week when I started my two weeks holiday, could it?

We had pizza to cook last night so we went to my dad's to use his oven!

Someone is coming today to discuss reupholstering our sofas.  They are leather and the top surface has started to crack and peel off - quite badly on one of them.  We've priced up the replacement cost so I can compare the two.

James and I are going to London tomorrow for the day.  Probably going to the Science Museum, but we haven't decided yet.

I am looking into reupholstering my Laz-Y-Boy recliner. I priced a new one and they are so outrageously priced. I contacted a local place about reupholstering but he never returned my email.  >:(  So I have to figure out if I want to give this guy a second chance (maybe he didn't receive the email) or pretty much say that he blew it and find someone else.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/29/14 at 3:46 pm

hopefully something good will come along.

Written By: nally on 10/29/14 at 5:01 pm

hopefully something good will come along.

He was doing some work at home today.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/14 at 5:42 pm

I was going to post this yesterday but I was unable. Anyway, most people, at least in the U.S., know that a
rocket headed for the space station blew up yesterday. The Boy has a facebook page for Wallops Flight Facility,
He gets updates on rocket launches. When they launch, the trajectory usually takes it up the east coast which
I can see from my front yard, the trajectory not the coast. Last night was no different, well the last two nights
were no different. The first launch was aborted because a sail boat entered the restricted zone so a relaunch was
scheduled for last night. As I watched the launch on The Boy's phone all seemed normal so I stood up and got my
binoculars ready when I heard The Boy yell, "F#$k, did that just blow up!" I got back to his phone in time to see
the huge fire ball. It is sad at the cost and destruction but it was a spectacular sight.

The page he is on allows us to hear the actual communication at the flight center as it is happening. All the prep
work, count down all of it. I was amazed at how calm the engineers were after the explosion. There was no panic,
no fear and in reality, no emotion at all. I guess that is how they are trained.

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/14 at 2:15 am

I was going to post this yesterday but I was unable. Anyway, most people, at least in the U.S., know that a
rocket headed for the space station blew up yesterday. The Boy has a facebook page for Wallops Flight Facility,
He gets updates on rocket launches. When they launch, the trajectory usually takes it up the east coast which
I can see from my front yard, the trajectory not the coast. Last night was no different, well the last two nights
were no different. The first launch was aborted because a sail boat entered the restricted zone so a relaunch was
scheduled for last night. As I watched the launch on The Boy's phone all seemed normal so I stood up and got my
binoculars ready when I heard The Boy yell, "F#$k, did that just blow up!" I got back to his phone in time to see
the huge fire ball. It is sad at the cost and destruction but it was a spectacular sight.

The page he is on allows us to hear the actual communication at the flight center as it is happening. All the prep
work, count down all of it. I was amazed at how calm the engineers were after the explosion. There was no panic,
no fear and in reality, no emotion at all. I guess that is how they are trained.

fortunately there were no souls on board.... that must have been a sight to behold tho...

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/30/14 at 10:14 pm

fortunately there were no souls on board.... that must have been a sight to behold tho...

MZ0SgAU9LXI

Here's the view from the press area.  They weren't quite as level-headed as the people whose job it is to launch these things and deal with the occasional failure.

Sucks for Orbital, whose business plan of refurbishing Soviet surplus engins from the 60s turned out not to work as well as expected.  But then, that's why NASA has contracts with more than one provider.  Hopefully Musk has better luck when he starts landing/reusing his Falcon rockets.  Both plans - refurbishing old engines and attempting a vertical landing of the first stage for reuse - are bold, risky, and had great potential to cut launch costs.  On paper, Orbital's plan was the more conservative design of the two. 

Written By: nally on 10/31/14 at 10:08 pm

^ :(

Anyway, I got an email from my accounting instructor earlier this week and he asked if I could "sub" for him today (Friday), so I responded and told him I'd be unable to in the morning, since I had a dental appointment, but I'd be glad to in the afternoon. So I went over there after lunchtime and helped out. In fact, I was able to help some people in the class with problems that they were having trouble with.

Meanwhile I am still doing all I can to find jobs to apply to.

Written By: karen on 11/01/14 at 7:23 am

I am looking into reupholstering my Laz-Y-Boy recliner. I priced a new one and they are so outrageously priced. I contacted a local place about reupholstering but he never returned my email.  >:(  So I have to figure out if I want to give this guy a second chance (maybe he didn't receive the email) or pretty much say that he blew it and find someone else.

Cat

We are not going to go ahead with reupholstering the furniture because it was so expensive!  this afternoon we are going to look at some new sofas - one shop has a sale on so we are going to check that out first.

Elizabeth came home evening after spending a week in Spain on a school trip.  She dumped her bags, ate a quick meal and then I drove her to the local campsite for Scout camp!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/14 at 12:29 pm

I bought the usual 10 bags of candy. We turned off the light at 9 and still had 2 bags left. I'm sure if we were still at the old house (one block away) we would have run out. What makes it so different from one block to the next? The road. We now live on the busiest street in town. It is a numbered route with trucks going by all hours of the day & night. People aren't willing to cross the street if they don't have to. Also the fact that the house had been empty for a few years, it is not on the radar yet for the local trick-or-treaters. But, now that word is out that we hand out Hershey chocolate bars, I'm sure we will probably get more next year. And beside, I am planning to make the house more "inviting" to trick-or-treaters. Just didn't have much time this year.

In the meanwhile, we have two bags of Hershey's for ourselves.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/01/14 at 5:54 pm

I bought the usual 10 bags of candy. We turned off the light at 9 and still had 2 bags left. I'm sure if we were still at the old house (one block away) we would have run out. What makes it so different from one block to the next? The road. We now live on the busiest street in town. It is a numbered route with trucks going by all hours of the day & night. People aren't willing to cross the street if they don't have to. Also the fact that the house had been empty for a few years, it is not on the radar yet for the local trick-or-treaters. But, now that word is out that we hand out Hershey chocolate bars, I'm sure we will probably get more next year. And beside, I am planning to make the house more "inviting" to trick-or-treaters. Just didn't have much time this year.

In the meanwhile, we have two bags of Hershey's for ourselves.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cat

enjoy the candy.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/01/14 at 6:06 pm

I almost ran out of candy, we had a higher number of trick-or-treaters  this year.

My 8 year old granddaughter never ceases to amaze me. She went out trick-or treating twice.
After the first time she came home and emptied her bag into a bowl. When she went out the
second time, I figured I would play a trick on her. I hid her bowl of candy and when she came
home I told her and her mom that I ran out of candy so I used the bowl of candy in the kitchen.
My daughter said, "But that was Autie's candy." My granddaughter looked at me with sad eyes
at first and then simply said, "That's okay Poppop I don't mind sharing my candy."

I hugged her and told her I would never give away her candy, then I thanked her for be so caring
generous. Like I said, she never ceases to amaze me.

Written By: karen on 11/02/14 at 12:15 pm

We didn't have any trick or treaters this year, unless they came while I was taking James to karate.  To be honest it isn't that big a thing to do here in the UK, and there are not that many children living on our road, which is quite a busy one.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/14 at 1:43 pm

We didn't have any trick or treaters this year, unless they came while I was taking James to karate.  To be honest it isn't that big a thing to do here in the UK, and there are not that many children living on our road, which is quite a busy one.

We didn't have many trick or treaters yesterday, maybe the traditions is dying a slow death. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/14 at 3:09 pm

We didn't have many trick or treaters yesterday, maybe the traditions is dying a slow death. ???

Now, they have "trunk or treat."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPZ1nM37pE

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/14 at 3:49 am

I almost ran out of candy, we had a higher number of trick-or-treaters  this year.

My 8 year old granddaughter never ceases to amaze me. She went out trick-or treating twice.
After the first time she came home and emptied her bag into a bowl. When she went out the
second time, I figured I would play a trick on her. I hid her bowl of candy and when she came
home I told her and her mom that I ran out of candy so I used the bowl of candy in the kitchen.
My daughter said, "But that was Autie's candy." My granddaughter looked at me with sad eyes
at first and then simply said, "That's okay Poppop I don't mind sharing my candy."

I hugged her and told her I would never give away her candy, then I thanked her for be so caring
generous. Like I said, she never cwases to amaze me.

Great story!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/14 at 3:50 am

Don't you Usually turn off the lights and not give out candy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/14 at 3:52 am

...and hide behind the sofa?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/14 at 3:57 am

Worked My ass off....got put on graveyards to supervise the Halloween madness. 15 hrs of it in one day because I hit my 40 in 3 days.

Also I had the crap scared out of me twice....

1) an officer came in with his hands clasped and said he found a frog then he threw it in direction. I screamed and turned away as a sugar packet came flying at me. 

2) sitting in dispatch Sunday about 330am crunching the weekend stats. I take a minute to collect my thoughts and look at the back doir the dispatchers have propped open a crack.  Just my luck a mouse runs into the room behind a large bookcase.  I scream. Sit on the desk for a few minutes while they try and scare it out....then I have to go work in my bosses office because I can't get the thought of a mouse possibly running by me outta my head....serious phobias people.  I have serious issues with rodents and frogs.

:-\\

Written By: nally on 11/03/14 at 8:51 am

That's what my family has done for several years now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/14 at 9:31 am

generous. Like I said, she never cwases to amaze me.

That is so sweet.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:56 pm

Cat

that's interesting.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:56 pm

My parents decided not to but they didn't answer the door.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:57 pm

...and hide behind the sofa?  ;D

the thing is to just stay quiet and lay low for a little while.

Written By: karen on 11/04/14 at 1:27 am

Cat

We did a couple of trunk or treats when we lived in CT.  A local church organised it and friends invited us along.  They had food in the hall, games for the kids and a best costume competition before everyone went outside.  People decorated their cars for the occasion and one or two had their stereos going with appropriately themed music

Check for new replies or respond here...