inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nutty November News - 2014 edition

Written By: nally on 10/31/14 at 11:28 pm

I didn't see it started yet, so I figured I'd give it a go this time around.

Hopefully it'll be a good month for us all! :)

Subject: Re: Nutty November News - 2014 edition

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/14 at 11:31 pm

White rabbit!

Written By: Howard on 11/01/14 at 7:28 am

Thanksgiving is at the end of the month so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Written By: nally on 11/01/14 at 8:57 am

Thanksgiving is at the end of the month so I'm looking forward to it. :)

So am I. Especially since my family and I have some special plans for the holiday.

Written By: karen on 11/02/14 at 12:14 pm

We bought new sofas and a chair yesterday!  Though they won't be delivered till the New Year.

The oven repair man is coming on Tuesday to fit the new element.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/14 at 12:52 pm

We bought new sofas and a chair yesterday!  Though they won't be delivered till the New Year.

The oven repair man is coming on Tuesday to fit the new element.

By the time they are delivered, you might forget that you bought them.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/02/14 at 1:39 pm

So am I. Especially since my family and I have some special plans for the holiday.

I'm going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving.

Written By: nally on 11/02/14 at 8:36 pm

I'm going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving.

Good for you. I hope you have a great time. :)

I'll be going on a weekend "getaway" cruise with my parents for Thanksgiving weekend. This will be the first time we've ever done something like this for the Thanksgiving holiday; we came up with this idea sometime in the summer. We would always have a gathering at home (or a relative's home) for the Thanksgiving holiday, but now that my grandmother is no longer with us, we decided to come up with something different. So it'll be a whole new experience; I'm looking forward to it.

Written By: nally on 11/03/14 at 8:52 am

Today I have to call my new doctor(s) to schedule an annual checkup.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/14 at 1:59 pm

Today I have to call my new doctor(s) to schedule an annual checkup.

I schedule my doctor's once a year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/14 at 5:53 pm

My book is FINALLY at the printers with everything a go. Had a few set backs. First they didn't have WordPerfect on their computers. I found out that I could save it as a PDF file (which was REALLY EASY). But, they also didn't have my font duchess) on their computer so it was coming out as a different font. I told them that I downloaded it so the guy downloaded and now he has it on his computer for future use. Once he had the font, the PDF files came out the way it should. I will go back next week to see how it turned out. If it is good to go, then they will make the remaining copies.

I wanted to be where I am now a month ago but I did make sure that I had time in case there were problems (like with the font, and such). The guy asked me if I was in a hurry for this. I said, "By Christmas." He said that there is plenty of time and it WILL be done.

We also stopped at AT&T and got a new cell phone/plan. We told them that we didn't want a smart phone. We wanted a dumb phone. lol. We had Sprint but never really used the phone-only when we are away from home. So, we had been paying over $50 a month for a phone we hardly used. Now, with AT&T we got a plan where we pay 10 cents a minute. The only time it will be a high bill is when we are in Puerto Rico and I talk to my sister-which we can spend awhile on the phone.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Also, the coverage is better with AT&T.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/03/14 at 11:41 pm

I schedule my doctor's once a year.

That's good. I still have yet to get mine. In fact, I tried calling the place, and the doc wasn't there. Gotta try again tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 11/03/14 at 11:42 pm

My book is FINALLY at the printers with everything a go. Had a few set backs. First they didn't have WordPerfect on their computers. I found out that I could save it as a PDF file (which was REALLY EASY). But, they also didn't have my font duchess) on their computer so it was coming out as a different font. I told them that I downloaded it so the guy downloaded and now he has it on his computer for future use. Once he had the font, the PDF files came out the way it should. I will go back next week to see how it turned out. If it is good to go, then they will make the remaining copies.

I wanted to be where I am now a month ago but I did make sure that I had time in case there were problems (like with the font, and such). The guy asked me if I was in a hurry for this. I said, "By Christmas." He said that there is plenty of time and it WILL be done.

Sounds good, Cat. Glad that progress is being made with this. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/14 at 4:37 pm

I hope everyone in the U.S. voted today.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/06/14 at 7:39 pm

Cat

I made sure to do so. :) And some of the votes in California were still being counted this morning, according to news reports.

Written By: nally on 11/06/14 at 7:40 pm

So today I did some volunteering at a place where I've been doing work for almost five years. Still looking for places to apply for paid work. However, I've made some applications this week.

Written By: karen on 11/07/14 at 1:40 am

good luck in finding something soon Jeff

Written By: Howard on 11/07/14 at 7:05 am

Cat

So when do we vote for a new president? 2016? ???

Written By: nally on 11/07/14 at 7:51 am

Yes. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/14 at 11:26 am

Did you vote on Tuesday, Howard?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/07/14 at 1:35 pm

Cat

No unfortunately I did not.

Written By: nally on 11/07/14 at 2:13 pm

good luck in finding something soon Jeff

Thanks Karen; I am using all the sources I can find, and doing whatever it takes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/14 at 3:11 pm

Not good, Howard. You should ALWAYS vote.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/14 at 8:58 pm

Cat

C
With no vote cast, you are not in a position to criticise for the future government.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/14 at 3:31 am

Last message before we fly to another island, about an hour flight, hopefully we should have wi-fi. My bags are packed I'm ready to go.

Written By: karen on 11/08/14 at 6:54 am

We had a great time last night at Elizabeth's birthday party.  Her birthday is not until next Sunday, but this date suited us better for a late evening.

The venue we booked insisted on some adult chaperones for this age group.  No idea if Elizabeth's friends thought it was weird to see half a dozen adults sat in one corner.  :-\\  A few times we were tempted to get up and show them how to dance, but I think that would have embarrassed Elizabeth.  Honestly though they would dance for like half a song and then stand there gossiping!  It was interesting to see how many older songs got everyone on the dance floor.  Livin' on a Prayer was very popular for example.

Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday here in the UK (and maybe elsewhere?)  James (and the rest of his Scout troop) will be attending the town parade to the war memorial in the morning.  I will go down and meet my dad for the service and then we are all going to lunch together.

Elizabeth will go to a service in the afternoon in the town where her scout group meet.  Some of the smaller towns have afternoon services so people can attend the main one in our town for the 11 o'clock two minute silence.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/14 at 7:01 am

Cat

I will try in 2015.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/14 at 7:02 am

Last message before we fly to another island, about an hour flight, hopefully we should have wi-fi. My bags are packed I'm ready to go.

enjoy your trip.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/14 at 11:34 am

I will try in 2015.

To quote Yoda, Don't try. DO!

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/14 at 11:36 am

We had a great time last night at Elizabeth's birthday party.  Her birthday is not until next Sunday, but this date suited us better for a late evening.

The venue we booked insisted on some adult chaperones for this age group.  No idea if Elizabeth's friends thought it was weird to see half a dozen adults sat in one corner.  :-\\  A few times we were tempted to get up and show them how to dance, but I think that would have embarrassed Elizabeth.  Honestly though they would dance for like half a song and then stand there gossiping!  It was interesting to see how many older songs got everyone on the dance floor.  Livin' on a Prayer was very popular for example.

Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday here in the UK (and maybe elsewhere?)  James (and the rest of his Scout troop) will be attending the town parade to the war memorial in the morning.  I will go down and meet my dad for the service and then we are all going to lunch together.

Elizabeth will go to a service in the afternoon in the town where her scout group meet.  Some of the smaller towns have afternoon services so people can attend the main one in our town for the 11 o'clock two minute silence.

On Tuesday is Veteran's Day here. We celebrate by having a free meal at Applebees.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/08/14 at 11:50 am

On Tuesday is Veteran's Day here. We celebrate by having a free meal at Applebees.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

There will be a special service at school and two minutes silence on Tuesday, but the nearest Sunday is always the day for parades and gathering around war memorials.  Plus laying poppy wreaths

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/14 at 12:58 pm

There will be a special service at school and two minutes silence on Tuesday, but the nearest Sunday is always the day for parades and gathering around war memorials.  Plus laying poppy wreaths

We (as in the U.S.) do all of that on Memorial Day-the end of May. Memorial Day is to honor the dead and Veterans Day is to honor the living.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/08/14 at 6:05 pm

Cat

What did you order?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/14 at 6:13 pm

What did you order?

Haven't ordered anything yet. It is not Tuesday.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/09/14 at 9:35 am

Last December James was interviewed by the local radio station.  They were preparing an item about how scouts from the area were involved in the first world war.  Two leaders from James's group signed up and both were killed.  They also went to James's school and so appear on the roll of honour there.  James was interviewed because he is the only scout in his group that attends that same school.

Anyway today the item was broadcast.  We missed it, because we don't actually listen to that station usually, but my dad told me he had heard it.  Thanks to the magic of the internet we just listened to it via BBC iplayer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/14 at 5:02 pm

Here I THOUGHT I was done with the book (it is at the printers right now) and I realized that I was missing a photo. I left a space for it but didn't have a photo for that space. So, this weekend I produced a photo for it. I couldn't decide which background to use so I used two different ones. But, finally decided on the vertical one since it fits better on the page. But, I like both of them. In case any of you are interested:

The one I'm using:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/Page120_zps129829eb.jpg

The extra one:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/Extra_zpsdab30292.jpg

We do have a bunch of beautiful grandkids don't we?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/10/14 at 2:47 pm

Here I THOUGHT I was done with the book (it is at the printers right now) and I realized that I was missing a photo. I left a space for it but didn't have a photo for that space. So, this weekend I produced a photo for it. I couldn't decide which background to use so I used two different ones. But, finally decided on the vertical one since it fits better on the page. But, I like both of them. In case any of you are interested:

The one I'm using:

The extra one:

We do have a bunch of beautiful grand-kids don't we?

Cat

You have beautiful grandkids Cat. :)

Written By: nally on 11/10/14 at 6:51 pm

You have beautiful grandkids Cat. :)

Indeed. And the floral artwork all around it is beautiful too. Good choice. O0

Written By: nally on 11/10/14 at 6:52 pm

By the way I was finally able to schedule a doctor appointment today. The earliest appt they had available was for the first week in January, so I said yes to it. This is only for a physical checkup, btw.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/10/14 at 7:38 pm

The one I'm using:

The extra one:

Cat

You must be one proud grandma. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/14 at 9:35 am

You must be one proud grandma. :)

Nah, not at all.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/14 at 3:31 pm

Had my free meal at Applebees. When we walked in and they asked if there were any vets, we said 1. This guy went up to Carlos and asked if he was the vet. When he said I was, the guy looked very surprised. We get that EVERY year. They ALWAYS think that Carlos is the vet. I just love seeing the looks on their faces when they find out that they were WRONG!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

We went over to the printers and again, there is a problem. Not too much. Just some minor adjustments. This is why I wanted to bring the book to the printers early. It should be completely done probably within the next week (I hope).

We also found out that Carlos' cousins, who live in Rhode Island, will be coming up for Thanksgiving. So, now I am in "panic mode." We have to find the dinning room table-AGAIN. Make sure the spare bedroom is ready to go, and a few other things. The house is coming along. We had hoped to be further along than we are now but we kept having setbacks. Just hope it is all done by Christmas.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 11/11/14 at 4:05 pm

The one I'm using:

The extra one:

Cat

Love! Came out so cute!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/14 at 8:42 pm

After a six hour boat trip we arrived at our holiday and family destination. There is limited access to wi- fi. We have already been swimming in the clear sea here.

Written By: nally on 11/11/14 at 10:30 pm

After a six hour boat trip we arrived at our holiday and family destination. There is limited access to wi- fi. We have already been swimming in the clear sea here.

Glad you have arrived safely, Philip. :)

Written By: karen on 11/12/14 at 1:03 am

We also found out that Carlos' cousins, who live in Rhode Island, will be coming up for Thanksgiving. So, now I am in "panic mode." We have to find the dinning room table-AGAIN. Make sure the spare bedroom is ready to go, and a few other things. The house is coming along. We had hoped to be further along than we are now but we kept having setbacks. Just hope it is all done by Christmas.

Cat

In terms of whether the house is completely clean and tidy. If the people visiting matter they won't mind and if they mind, they don't matter

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/14 at 12:30 pm

In terms of whether the house is completely clean and tidy. If the people visiting matter they won't mind and if they mind, they don't matter

That is true. When Carlos was talking to his cousin on the phone, I told him to make sure they know that they house is not quite ready. I was told that his response was something like, "Of course. I didn't expect it would be." The spare bedroom was done (in terms of getting a bed & curtains) when my sister came up in August. But, the bed arrived the week AFTER she was here.  :-\\  So, they had to sleep on an air mattress. But, at least they had curtains in the room.

But, in terms of Christmas, we have to make sure that some rooms are complete because people will be sleeping in them. I am just about ready to buy rug pads for a couple of rooms and hopefully I'll be ready to get curtains for them.

Remind me never to move again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/12/14 at 2:52 pm

Remind me never to move again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I said that when we moved to this house in 2000.  And then we moved to the US!

Written By: Howard on 11/12/14 at 3:01 pm

Had my free meal at Applebees. When we walked in and they asked if there were any vets, we said 1. This guy went up to Carlos and asked if he was the vet. When he said I was, the guy looked very surprised. We get that EVERY year. They ALWAYS think that Carlos is the vet. I just love seeing the looks on their faces when they find out that they were WRONG!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

What did you both have to eat?

Written By: Howard on 11/12/14 at 3:02 pm

glad you had a good trip.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/14 at 3:36 pm

What did you both have to eat?

I had the 3 cheese & chicken penne and Carlos had the baked cod. But why do you want to know?

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/12/14 at 6:54 pm

So today I made a few job applications, including one that had to be done at the office of the company. So this afternoon I went over there and filled out the application. And tomorrow I'll need to call the person who's in charge of applications and see what else needs to be done, if anything.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/13/14 at 8:17 am

News? Well, nothing great. I hit a deer last week and though it didn't do a number on my car like last year (yes, again) I still need it fixed. Originally the plan was to wait just incase, but it looks like Monday I have to. Plus it's snowing now, and that plus deer out makes back and forth to work twice as much to worry about.  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/14 at 11:41 am

News? Well, nothing great. I hit a deer last week and though it didn't do a number on my car like last year (yes, again) I still need it fixed. Originally the plan was to wait just incase, but it looks like Monday I have to. Plus it's snowing now, and that plus deer out makes back and forth to work twice as much to worry about.  >:(

Did you at least get to keep the venison?

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/13/14 at 1:53 pm

So today I made a few job applications, including one that had to be done at the office of the company. So this afternoon I went over there and filled out the application. And tomorrow I'll need to call the person who's in charge of applications and see what else needs to be done, if anything.

So this morning I called the person, but she wasn't there so I had to leave a message. About 20-25 minutes later, she called back and did a little preliminary interview with me over the phone. She asked me how much I knew about accounting, and I was able to tell her; I also explained about my past work experiences, both as an employee and as a volunteer. At the end of our discussion, she explained that there are other applicants, so she'll be talking with them before she gets back to me to discuss anything further. So, sometime next week (before Thursday) I might hear back.

In other news, I will be leaving to go on a trip next Thursday (one week from now); it's just a weekend "getaway" cruise, for my mom's birthday. (We'll also be having a similar getaway trip the following weekend, for Thanksgiving.)

Written By: Howard on 11/13/14 at 2:30 pm

I had the 3 cheese & chicken penne and Carlos had the baked cod. But why do you want to know?

Cat

just curious, that's all.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/13/14 at 2:31 pm

good luck.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/14 at 2:32 pm

Would you need to go to the car wash?

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/13/14 at 6:40 pm

Did you at least get to keep the venison?

Cat

No, I wouldn't drag a heavy dead animal with me. I doubt I could lift it.

Would you need to go to the car wash?

No, I need to go to a repair shop.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/14 at 7:27 pm

An old condition has flared up, sorry not discussing details here, hepave to seek treatment, I am not in the right mind to be online.

Written By: nally on 11/13/14 at 10:23 pm

An old condition has flared up, sorry not discussing details here, hepave to seek treatment, I am not in the right mind to be online.

Sorry to hear this, Phil; get some rest and feel better as soon as possible!

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 7:28 am

An old condition has flared up, sorry not discussing details here, have to seek treatment, I am not in the right mind to be online.

hope you get treatment soon and feel better.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/14/14 at 10:11 am

Going to my mother's appointment with her this afternoon. She is getting physical therapy/treatment for her knees. She has arthritic knees, and to top it off has injured her left knee twice! Had surgery on it and everything. She can still walk which is great. But sometimes they give out and that is why she is getting therapy. Hopefully by the time her treatment sessions end her knees will be much better.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 12:59 pm

Going to my mother's appointment with her this afternoon. She is getting physical therapy/treatment for her knees. She has arthritic knees, and to top it off has injured her left knee twice! Had surgery on it and everything. She can still walk which is great. But sometimes they give out and that is why she is getting therapy. Hopefully by the time her treatment sessions end her knees will be much better.

Hope she feels better.

Written By: nally on 11/14/14 at 1:38 pm

Sending well-wishes your way, and for her too!

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/15/14 at 9:43 am

Hope she feels better.

Sending well-wishes your way, and for her too!

How nice, thank you both.  :)

Written By: nally on 11/15/14 at 7:22 pm

Today we did some work in the garage (for the first time in four months). We are trying to make some room for some of the stuff we'd brought back from my late grandma's home earlier this year, so we went through some old boxes full of our stuff from way back when, and we were able to discard some of that stuff. It's still a work in progress.

Written By: karen on 11/16/14 at 3:15 pm

Yesterday I took a school team to an orienteering event where we hoped to qualify to represent Britain at the world schools event in Turkey next year.  The results aren't definite yet (known form has to be taken into account), but the senior team (Elizabeth and friends) has probably qualified.  The junior team did well but probably weren't quite good enough overall.

Today was the British Schools orienteering champs.  Two of our year group teams came second overall.  We didn't win overall like last year as the rules split schools into large or small secondary schools depending on number of pupils.  Fewer than 600 is a small school.  Last year we had 597 on our books and this year it is 604!  (We are trying to work out which 5 to get rid of!)

Written By: nally on 11/18/14 at 3:31 pm

So this morning I did some volunteering at the library. I did it today and not during the weekend because we're gonna be away this weekend. Same for next week. So right now I am making sure I have clean clothes to take on our trip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/14 at 6:46 pm

With my medication I am feeling much better now, also Wi-Fi is available.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/14 at 6:50 pm

Glad you are feeling better.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/19/14 at 7:08 am

great to see you're feeling better Phil. :)

Written By: nally on 11/19/14 at 9:08 am

great to see you're feeling better Phil. :)

Ditto. Welcome back!

Written By: nally on 11/20/14 at 9:15 am

So...around noontime today, I'll be leaving to go on my mini-vacation cruise. We'll be celebrating my mom's birthday, which is tomorrow. On Sunday afternoon we will return home. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/20/14 at 3:18 pm

So...around noontime today, I'll be leaving to go on my mini-vacation cruise. We'll be celebrating my mom's birthday, which is tomorrow. On Sunday afternoon we will return home. :)

enjoy your vacation.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/14 at 10:33 pm

Take care with your vacation.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/21/14 at 5:06 pm

Have a wonderful trip/vacation Jeffrey. And happy birthday to your mother!

Written By: karen on 11/22/14 at 2:01 pm

Elizabeth and I went to the nearby city to go shopping this afternoon.  She had some birthday money to spend.  We also bought some Christmas presents.  Still more stuff to buy, just need to decide what

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/14 at 3:21 pm

Been shopping all day on-line for MORE curtains. These are for the two downstairs rooms. Each room has 3 windows each (well, the bay window we are treating like one window). The windows are all different sizes, very tall, a couple are thin, and it is really hard to find something that matches. Either they are too long or not long enough. And for the narrow windows, it is hard to find some in their length that are not that wide. Very frustrating. Both rooms need to have curtains that are really nice which means really expensive.  :(

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/23/14 at 5:05 pm

Have a wonderful trip/vacation Jeffrey. And happy birthday to your mother!

Thank you!! :) 8) And now I'm back; I am still in the midst of unpacking. However, I will tell you all about it later. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/14 at 12:49 am

Thank you!! :) 8) And now I'm back; I am still in the midst of unpacking. However, I will tell you all about it later. :)
Belated happy birthday to your mother

Written By: nally on 11/24/14 at 11:50 am

Okay...so on Thursday, the cruise began. We played a trivia game, "Welcome Aboard Trivia", with my parents and me as one team... and we ended up winning. We also watched a show in the Princess Theater that evening, featuring music from the British Invasion (primarily from the 1960s, but there was a little bit of 70s music in there too). Friday was a sea day; it was my mom's birthday. That night we had a little party in my parents' stateroom, a suite; a couple we know from church was also on the cruise, so we invited them to celebrate with us, so we had a good time. Saturday, the ship was docked in its only port of call, Ensenada, and this time we decided to get off the ship and walk around for a bit. For me, this was my first time actually being in another country (Mexico). And we had some really good meals on the ship.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/14 at 12:26 pm

Okay...so on Thursday, the cruise began. We played a trivia game, "Welcome Aboard Trivia", with my parents and me as one team... and we ended up winning. We also watched a show in the Princess Theater that evening, featuring music from the British Invasion (primarily from the 1960s, but there was a little bit of 70s music in there too). Friday was a sea day; it was my mom's birthday. That night we had a little party in my parents' stateroom, a suite; a couple we know from church was also on the cruise, so we invited them to celebrate with us, so we had a good time. Saturday, the ship was docked in its only port of call, Ensenada, and this time we decided to get off the ship and walk around for a bit. For me, this was my first time actually being in another country (Mexico). And we had some really good meals on the ship.

Sounds like you had a really good time.

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/24/14 at 12:29 pm

Oh nice! I have never been to Mexico. It must be so beautiful there. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/24/14 at 1:29 pm

Good to see you back.  :)

Written By: nally on 11/24/14 at 2:05 pm

Oh nice! I have never been to Mexico. It must be so beautiful there. :)

It is, in certain places. My parents went to Mexico on their first cruise, back in 2007, namely to the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas).

It should also be duly noted that on my other two cruises (the one I took last year, and the one the year before that), there was also a port of call in Ensenada, but we didn't get off the ship either time. But this time we decided to check it out.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/14 at 4:59 pm

It is, in certain places. My parents went to Mexico on their first cruise, back in 2007, namely to the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas).

It should also be duly noted that on my other two cruises (the one I took last year, and the one the year before that), there was also a port of call in Ensenada, but we didn't get off the ship either time. But this time we decided to check it out.

The only place in Mexico I have been was Nuevo Laredo-just over the border from Laredo, TX.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/25/14 at 11:05 am

. And for the narrow windows, it is hard to find some in their length that are not that wide. Very frustrating. Both rooms need to have curtains that are really nice which means really expensive.  :(

Cat

Could you split a pair of curtains so each window has one wider curtain?  That's what I have done in the family room here

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/14 at 11:37 am

Could you split a pair of curtains so each window has one wider curtain?  That's what I have done in the family room here

If I knew how to sew.  :-\\ :-[

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/25/14 at 1:56 pm

Now it seems that my friend will be making the Thanksgiving meal after all now all I have to do is to bring the refreshments or snacks. :)

Written By: nally on 11/25/14 at 5:22 pm

The only place in Mexico I have been was Nuevo Laredo-just over the border from Laredo, TX.

Cat

cool. Hope you liked it.

When we were in Ensenada this past weekend, all we did was walk around, basically up and down a street that had many shops. (We didn't go inside any of them. We just decided to walk around, see what was there; basically, explore for about an hour or so.)

Written By: nally on 11/25/14 at 5:24 pm

Now it seems that my friend will be making the Thanksgiving meal after all now all I have to do is to bring the refreshments or snacks. :)

Good to hear, Howard. I hope you enjoy your time with your friend on Thursday. :)

Written By: karen on 11/26/14 at 1:56 am

If I knew how to sew.  :-\\ :-[

Cat

I meant buy two curtains where each single curtain is the width you want to cover the whole window.

Written By: nally on 11/26/14 at 9:03 am

So in just a few short hours, I'll be leaving to go on my second weekend-getaway cruise trip. This one will also have a port of call in Ensenada, like the last one did, but there'll also be another port: Santa Barbara.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/14 at 1:45 pm

I meant buy two curtains where each single curtain is the width you want to cover the whole window.

With a couple of the windows I can do that with (and plan to) but one window is so narrow that one panel would be too much. It is very hard to find curtains for tall & narrow.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/26/14 at 3:12 pm

Good to hear, Howard. I hope you enjoy your time with your friend on Thursday. :)

Thank You. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/14 at 3:12 pm

So in just a few short hours, I'll be leaving to go on my second weekend-getaway cruise trip. This one will also have a port of call in Ensenada, like the last one did, but there'll also be another port: Santa Barbara.

enjoy your trip.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/29/14 at 7:20 am

I haven't been on much because work is keeping me busy during the holiday seasons. Long, and I mean LONG hours! Sunday will be my only day off after 12 days straight.  :D :o

Written By: Howard on 11/29/14 at 7:42 am

I haven't been on much because work is keeping me busy during the holiday seasons. Long, and I mean LONG hours! Sunday will be my only day off after 12 days straight.  :D :o

glad to see you on here. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/14 at 10:22 am

VERY nice visit with Carlos' cousins. They only stayed a couple of days even though we asked them to stay the weekend. It was the best Thanksgiving we have had in a VERY long time.

Today I am not doing ANYTHING!!! I'm not unpacking. I'm not cleaning. I'm taking the day off!

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/30/14 at 5:00 am

With a couple of the windows I can do that with (and plan to) but one window is so narrow that one panel would be too much. It is very hard to find curtains for tall & narrow.

Cat

Ikea do some odd sizes - I've had to trim their curtains to length most times.  though I realise it would be a long drive for you

Written By: karen on 11/30/14 at 5:02 am

We have an Australian scout visiting us from tomorrow until the second week in January

Dai and Elizabeth are away this weekend so James and I have been tidying up the house.  Nearly there, just a bathroom and the kitchen to clean and downstairs to vacuum

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/14 at 12:05 pm

Ikea do some odd sizes - I've had to trim their curtains to length most times.  though I realise it would be a long drive for you

I buy stuff like that on-line because I can get the right size in the right color and most stores don't carry the entire inventory. I did look at Ikea and there wasn't anything that jumped out at me. I found curtains for one room at Sears and for the other room at JCPenny. I know it sounds weird to buy them from different stores but I am looking for the RIGHT ones for each room. I have bought some from Country Curtains & from KMart so far. I plan on buying that stuff tomorrow on Cyber Monday. Hopefully, I can get a deal or two. Then there will only be one more room to get curtains for-the dinning room but I'm not going to worry about that until next year.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/30/14 at 12:08 pm

enjoy your trip.

I did, thank you. :) And now I am back home (just returned about half an hour ago).

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/30/14 at 1:07 pm

Spending time with mom today. So we're into baking healthier sweets now. We are going to bake some sugar free, low carb peanut butter cookies! They will not taste bland because we will use sugar substitutes. If anyone wants the recipe just let me know, I'll gladly share it! Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/30/14 at 2:32 pm

I did, thank you. :) And now I am back home (just returned about half an hour ago).

How was it?

Written By: nally on 11/30/14 at 9:57 pm

How was it?

It was great. We had lots of fun and did some relaxing. There were two ports of call -- Santa Barbara and Ensenada -- but we didn't get off the ship either time. Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) was a sea day; on the menu for dinner was a turkey special (as well as other food options), which my family and I ordered, and enjoyed. It felt kinda different, not being at home for the holiday (only because we didn't have anyone to cook for this year). There were trivia games and other contests that we took part in, including a "Yes/No Challenge" on Friday night in which I participated. (I played in a similar game last year; the object was to avoid saying yes, no, and similar words for 3 whole minutes.) I also played with others in a "Pictionary"-type game. Also, my parents and I shared a stateroom; one that was a balcony suite; that worked out well. And we were off the ship this morning at 8:00 and were able to get back home in an hour and a half.

Not sure when my next cruise is gonna be, but we have made a down payment for another cruise next September, for a cruise in another part of the world.

Check for new replies or respond here...