inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Solar eclipse set to plunge UK and Europe into darkness

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/15 at 2:31 am

Millions of people could witness the best solar eclipse in years seen from the UK and northern Europe later.

A path across the Earth's surface will be plunged into darkness as the Moon covers up the Sun.

The event's geometry means that in the UK the Sun will be between 83% and 98% covered, from about 09:23 GMT onwards. The weather will determine visibility.

Experts are warning people not to look directly at the Sun because it could cause serious harm.

The deep shadow forms first in the North Atlantic, before sweeping up into the Arctic Circle and ending at the North Pole.

The UK will not see a solar eclipse on this scale again until 2026, but the British forecast is not particularly encouraging.

Nonetheless, all parts of the UK are in line to see at least 83% of the Sun's disc obscured by the Moon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31965456

Subject: Re: Solar eclipse set to plunge UK and Europe into darkness

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/15 at 2:32 am

At the moment, in London it is overcast with heavy cloud, so we will see the darknes, but not the sun.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/15 at 5:10 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/81788000/jpg/_81788097_caibq1kwgaati55.jpg
"Baily's beads" were visible at the fringe of the eclipse when it reached totality

Written By: karen on 03/28/15 at 5:49 am

We had a great view here. Lovely clear skies.

Conveniently for us it happened during school form time.  We bought lots of eclipse viewing glasses and had all the girls out a class at a time to view the eclipse.  Obviously some only saw it near the beginning, but a lot of those came back past around the 9.30 mark to get another look.

It was a great event - after some scepticism from non-science staff everyone was enthusiastic on the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 5:50 am

We had a great view here. Lovely clear skies.

Conveniently for us it happened during school form time.  We bought lots of eclipse viewing glasses and had all the girls out a class at a time to view the eclipse.  Obviously some only saw it near the beginning, but a lot of those came back past around the 9.30 mark to get another look.

It was a great event - after some scepticism from non-science staff everyone was enthusiastic on the day.
Any pictures taken?

Written By: karen on 03/28/15 at 5:56 am

Any pictures taken?

Not of the eclipse itself - we had banned girls from doing this for safety reasons so couldn't then be seen flouting this rule.

If there is a photo of me looking then I will post it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 5:58 am

Not of the eclipse itself - we had banned girls from doing this for safety reasons so couldn't then be seen flouting this rule.

If there is a photo of me looking then I will post it.
Understandable.

London was completely covered by cloud and we saw nothing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 5:59 am

London was completely covered by cloud and we saw nothing.
Saved me going anywhere special for the eclipse.

Check for new replies or respond here...