inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: May Day! May Day! May Monthly Thread For 2015

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/15 at 1:55 pm

Here is what you all have been looking for-the May thread.

Let the posting commence.

Cat

Subject: Re: May Day! May Day! May Monthly Thread For 2015

Written By: annimal on 04/30/15 at 6:50 pm

May 3rd I'll be leaving to Sacramento and on the 4th will be checking into the Hospital in the morning.

Written By: snozberries on 04/30/15 at 11:43 pm

Fun month for me

I have two TLC (& New Kids) concerts may 2 in Anaheim and may 11 in San Diego

I see an advanced screening (& hopefully meet queen latifah) on May 9th

I see my buddy comedian Jen Kober may 12th and 14th

I meet Lisa kudrow (3rd time) may 19th

I think I have something else but I've forgotten. Hope it's not important. Lol

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/01/15 at 12:19 am

White rabbit (two months in a row.  Yes!)  ;D  I'm still waiting for the good luck to come from April though...  :-\\

I thought I would put up a Maypole up in this thread, if you all want to join me in welcoming Spring.  :)
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/4/29/1304086524526/Maypole-007.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/15 at 1:11 am

White rabbit

Written By: Howard on 05/01/15 at 7:39 am

I meet Lisa kudrow (3rd time) may 19th

Is she going to invite you to be a part of her next film?

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/15 at 8:48 am

Is she going to invite you to be a part of her next film?

Not likely.

Written By: nally on 05/01/15 at 9:52 am

As mentioned in the other thread (which I'd started...and decided to lock), I will be away for a whole week, beginning on Mother's Day and coming back on the 17th. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/15 at 9:53 am

As mentioned in the other thread (which I'd started...and decided to lock), I will be away for a whole week, beginning on Mother's Day and coming back on the 17th. :)
For the mean time, I was considering which one to use.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/15 at 10:44 am

White rabbit (two months in a row.  Yes!)  ;D  I'm still waiting for the good luck to come from April though...  :-\\

I thought I would put up a Maypole up in this thread, if you all want to join me in welcoming Spring.  :)
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/4/29/1304086524526/Maypole-007.jpg

Like I post every May Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljyjiIMH9o

Happy Beltane to everyone!

You didn't have to lock it. I think we can get along with two May threads. I think it could be fun.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/01/15 at 2:03 pm

enjoy your trip.

Written By: annimal on 05/01/15 at 5:03 pm

here we go, my Brain Tumor video made by mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8njz_syfFpQ

Written By: Howard on 05/02/15 at 2:38 pm

here we go, my Brain Tumor video made by mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8njz_syfFpQ

Wow Ann that was very well done. I'm sorry to hear about your disability. :(

Written By: annimal on 05/02/15 at 2:43 pm

Wow Ann that was very well done. I'm sorry to hear about your disability. :(

my mom put the video together with help from Joel.  I wouldn't be able to vigure out how to do it.  I only did my talking.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/15 at 2:55 pm

my mom put the video together with help from Joel.  I wouldn't be able to vigure out how to do it.  I only did my talking.

Your Mom did a great job. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/15 at 3:23 pm

You all did VERY well.

Cat

Written By: annimal on 05/02/15 at 3:54 pm

You all did VERY well.

Cat

thanks  and hopefully it will be helpfull for other people that have Brain Tumors now or in the future

Written By: annimal on 05/02/15 at 6:47 pm

like  I said in another thread, I'll be packing tonight and taking off tomorrow.  I don't know how long the hospital is going to keep me so I don't know when I might be on here.  I'll see you when I see you

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/15 at 7:55 pm

I just got a five page paper done. Stayed up all night the second night to edit it, and get it right, the best I can at least.

Written By: nally on 05/02/15 at 8:46 pm

I just got a five page paper done. Stayed up all night the second night to edit it, and get it right, the best I can at least.

Well done on completing the paper. I'm sure you did a fine job. Best of luck.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/15 at 11:44 pm

Well done on completing the paper. I'm sure you did a fine job. Best of luck.

I wanted to collapse after I finished it. It wasn't double spaced either.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/15 at 3:20 am

The concert was excellent! Nelly was good...TLC WAS AMAZING!!!! And NKOTB puts on a really fantastic show!!!!

My meet and greet w TLC was awesome! I'm exhausted and exhilrated!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/15 at 6:55 am

I am having a few relaxuing days away from home with family. I feel peaceful at ease.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/15 at 11:08 am

like  I said in another thread, I'll be packing tonight and taking off tomorrow.  I don't know how long the hospital is going to keep me so I don't know when I might be on here.  I'll see you when I see you

Good luck. We will be thinking of you.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 11:25 am

And NKOTB puts on a really fantastic show!!!!

I'm glad you had a great time at the concert, snoz.

I still listen to NKOTB. Did they play most of their old track list?

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/15 at 11:31 am

I'm glad you had a great time at the concert, snoz.

I still listen to NKOTB. Did they play most of their old track list?

Yes they did.  And some songs from others too lol.

Donnie did Marky Mark's Good vibration. Joey did Sweet Dreams (eurythmics)
I remember a riff from Biz Markies just a friend....I think they do this in Cali shows only but they did California Love...

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 11:34 am

Hi everyone. Sorry it's been a while... :-)

I've been rather ambitious over the last six months (despite a severe lack of sleep) and taken every opportunity I can at work which ranges from going to meetings, becoming a fire warden and put myself forward to be a first-aider. I was temporarily promoted to coach around the Christmas period and I sketch regularly for my unit and some of them are to be displayed throughout the company. Good times.

I have recently bought a new computer and it goes like a rocket. It should do with an i7 8 core processor and a solid state hard drive.

What else? Hmmm...Oh yes, I have discovered the wonders of foam rolling which has helped my back and shoulders considerably. The pain had been keeping me away from the gym.

Taking driving lessons has gone for a bit of a dive at the moment but I will get back into them soon.

Hope you are all feeling good.  8)

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 11:40 am

Yes they did.  And some songs from others too lol.

Ah, good they are changing things up a bit.

Donnie did Marky Mark's Good vibration.

Good song from 1991. I love that synth bass.

Joey did Sweet Dreams (eurythmics)

That sounds pretty eclectic. Did he do it in his own style or follow in Eurythmics or Marilyn Manson's style?

I remember a riff from Biz Markies just a friend....I think they do this in Cali shows only but they did California Love...

Some time ago I listened to Biz Markie's 'Just a friend' and I can't tell whether he's being serious or not, lol.

'California Love' by Tupac? Nice one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/15 at 12:30 pm

I've been rather ambitious over the last six months (despite a severe lack of sleep) and taken every opportunity I can at work which ranges from going to meetings, becoming a fire warden and put myself forward to be a first-aider. I was temporarily promoted to coach around the Christmas period and I sketch regularly for my unit and some of them are to be displayed throughout the company. Good times.

I have recently bought a new computer and it goes like a rocket. It should do with an i7 8 core processor and a solid state hard drive.

What else? Hmmm...Oh yes, I have discovered the wonders of foam rolling which has helped my back and shoulders considerably. The pain had been keeping me away from the gym.

Taking driving lessons has gone for a bit of a dive at the moment but I will get back into them soon.

Welcome back. Glad things are going good.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 12:54 pm

Welcome back. Glad things are going good.

Thank you, Cat.  :)

This device looks painful but it really helps with my back. It's called a 'Rumble Roller' and the idea is I lie on it and it massages my muscles and removes knots. Surprisingly, this isn't the hardest example. The black one is extra firm. It nearly killed me using it so I had to return it.  ;D

http://www.66fit.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/st-rr316-ex-500-4.jpg

Who said torture devices were restricted to the middle ages? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/15 at 12:55 pm

Thank you, Cat.  :)

This device looks painful but it really helps with my back. It's called a 'Rumble Roller' and the idea is I lie on it and it massages my muscles and removes knots. Surprisingly, this isn't the hardest example. The black one is extra firm. It nearly killed me using it so I had to return it.  ;D

http://www.66fit.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/st-rr316-ex-500-4.jpg

Who said torture devices were restricted to the middle ages? 

My favorite method of getting rid of the knots and easing the pain in my back is a massage. I'm hoping my massage therapist has an opening soon. (Have to wait for him to have an opening because he makes house calls. Yup, I'm spoiled.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 1:00 pm

My favorite method of getting rid of the knots and easing the pain in my back is a massage. I'm hoping my massage therapist has an opening soon. (Have to wait for him to have an opening because he makes house calls. Yup, I'm spoiled.  ;) )

I don't like to wait around for someone to fit me into their schedule. If I'm stiff as an old boot I need to take charge of it.

You certainly are spoiled, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/15 at 1:50 pm

Good to hear from you, welcome back!

Written By: Howard on 05/03/15 at 1:56 pm

Good for you. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/15 at 1:58 pm

I don't like to wait around for someone to fit me into their schedule. If I'm stiff as an old boot I need to take charge of it.

You certainly are spoiled, lol.

I COULD go to him, but I like not having to.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/03/15 at 1:58 pm

Welcome Back, Bob. :)

Written By: nally on 05/03/15 at 6:29 pm

Nice to see ya again, Bob. Glad to hear you're doing fine. :)

Written By: Bobby on 05/04/15 at 5:34 am

Nice to see ya again, Bob. Glad to hear you're doing fine. :)

Good for you. :)

Cheers lads. I hope you both are keeping well. Are you still at Pathmark, Howard?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/15 at 9:10 am

May the Fourth be with you.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/04/15 at 9:41 am

This is a bank holiday weekend in the UK - the Monday is a day off work for many people - though Dai had to go in today.

James was away all weekend at a Harry Potter themed camp.  He came home around lunchtime.

Elizabeth has been revising much of the weekend.  Her exams start next week.

Yesterday afternoon she took a break from her books and we went out for a walk in some local woods to look at the bluebells.  Dai was navigating and we got slightly lost for a short time but worked it out in the end.

Written By: nally on 05/04/15 at 10:31 am

Cheers lads. I hope you both are keeping well.

I seem to be. Last year I was working on completing an accounting certificate; I finished the coursework for that in early October, and now I am hoping to put those skills to good use in a job setting. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/15 at 10:53 am

This is a bank holiday weekend in the UK - the Monday is a day off work for many people - though Dai had to go in today.

James was away all weekend at a Harry Potter themed camp.  He came home around lunchtime.

Yesterday afternoon she took a break from her books and we went out for a walk in some local woods to look at the bluebells.  Dai was navigating and we got slightly lost for a short time but worked it out in the end.

I am so jealous.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/04/15 at 1:46 pm

Are you still at Pathmark, Howard?

Yes just celebrated 8 years.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/15 at 2:41 pm

Good luck to her....

Yesterday afternoon she took a break from her books and we went out for a walk in some local woods to look at the bluebells.

hmmm I read one word in this wrong.... guess which one???  :D

(howard) the way I quoted works because I started out with karen's original post and pulled from it to break it down but the original link is still in the first quote...    (just an FYI)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/15 at 3:55 pm

I am having a few relaxuing days away from home with family. I feel peaceful at ease.
Safely home and very tired.

Written By: nally on 05/04/15 at 6:41 pm

That's good. Take care with resting.

I am slowly starting to gather items together for my upcoming vacation trip.

Written By: karen on 05/05/15 at 1:40 pm

hmmm I read one word in this wrong.... guess which one???  :D

What did you think I'd typed?

Written By: karen on 05/05/15 at 1:43 pm

A friends son is in hospital at the moment.  He had surgery today, and its possible his cancer has come back.

He had a brain tumour when he was about 7 years old and has been fine.  However at his last check up they found something suspicious, hence his surgery today.

He was in Elizabeth's class at primary school and Jams is best friends with his younger brother.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/15 at 2:10 pm

Welcome Back.

Written By: annimal on 05/05/15 at 3:25 pm

hello from the hospital.  Not sure when I'll be done, but they already saw some problems I've had and may not need to stay here very long

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/15 at 3:26 pm

hello from the hospital.  Not sure when I'll be done, but they already saw some problems I've had and may not need to stay here very long
Take care in all you do.

Written By: annimal on 05/05/15 at 3:29 pm

Take care in all you do.

o k

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/15 at 3:55 pm

We are sending you good thoughts.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/15 at 4:16 pm

What did you think I'd typed?

I read blue balls.  Lol

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/15 at 4:17 pm

A friends son is in hospital at the moment.  He had surgery today, and its possible his cancer has come back.

He had a brain tumour when he was about 7 years old and has been fine.  However at his last check up they found something suspicious, hence his surgery today.

He was in Elizabeth's class at primary school and Jams is best friends with his younger brother.

That's sad. I hope his surgery goes well.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/15 at 1:12 am

Keep calm and http://i.imgur.com/sCVds1b.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 2:47 pm

Hope everything is well, take care.

Written By: annimal on 05/06/15 at 9:38 pm

thanks for the good thoughts.  I might be let out in the next day or two.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/15 at 10:08 pm

The concert was excellent! Nelly was good...TLC WAS AMAZING!!!! And NKOTB puts on a really fantastic show!!!!

My meet and greet w TLC was awesome! I'm exhausted and exhilrated!

Karma.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/15 at 10:10 pm

One more test then I'm done with this semester. It's the history of rock and roll test, one more!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 4:04 am

One more test then I'm done with this semester. It's the history of rock and roll test, one more!
Now that is one test I would like to do.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/15 at 4:16 am

Now that is one test I would like to do.

I get 4 weeks off after this semester ends. I'm done with tests in my mind.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/07/15 at 11:23 am

You should Ace of Base this.  :D

Good luck.

Written By: nally on 05/07/15 at 12:17 pm

Good luck!

Written By: nally on 05/07/15 at 12:18 pm

Anyways...I have finally started to pack my suitcase; I am also making sure that all the clothes I want to bring with me are clean.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/15 at 2:25 pm

Good Luck.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 2:27 pm

Good luck!

Written By: annimal on 05/07/15 at 7:49 pm

I'm back

Written By: nally on 05/07/15 at 11:26 pm

I'm back

Welcome back! Hope all is well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/15 at 12:11 am

I'm back
Welcome back, all is fine?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/15 at 3:54 am

You should Ace of Base this.  :D

Good luck.

I think we stopped at the early 00s when it came to music. But Ace of base.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/15 at 3:55 am

Thank you everyone.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/08/15 at 7:29 am

I'm back

Welcome Back. :)

Written By: nally on 05/08/15 at 10:15 am

Today I need to continue packing my suitcase(s).

Written By: annimal on 05/08/15 at 10:48 am

nothing seems worse and I'll be making some medicene changes.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/09/15 at 8:14 pm

Glad you are getting along with nothing worse and making medicine changes.  :)

It's good to see you here again.

Written By: nally on 05/09/15 at 9:11 pm

I'm just about completely packed for my trip now... and tomorrow morning I'll be leaving.

I'll be sure to tell y'all about it when I return!! :) 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/15 at 10:41 pm

I'm just about completely packed for my trip now... and tomorrow morning I'll be leaving.

Good luck! And karma.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/10/15 at 2:55 am

Have fun!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/15 at 7:13 am

Take care!

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/15 at 9:44 am

I met Queen Latifah last night!!!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/15 at 9:45 am

Wow!!!

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/15 at 9:52 am

Wow!!!

I KNOW!!! I'm waiting... not so patiently... for my friend to send me my picture with her...
It was awesome...

The movie Bessie was okay but not as good as it should've been... but she was AWESOME!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/10/15 at 9:55 am

I have to check Facebook now.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/15 at 10:04 am

I KNOW!!! I'm waiting... not so patiently... for my friend to send me my picture with her...
It was awesome...

The movie Bessie was okay but not as good as it should've been... but she was AWESOME!

The picture must be seen!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/15 at 11:19 am

Have a fun & safe trip.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/15 at 11:19 am

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/15 at 3:01 pm

The picture must be seen!

Way cool.

Cat

posted... http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=26885.msg3241618#msg3241618

Written By: Howard on 05/10/15 at 3:03 pm

That's good that you're going to be making some changes. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/10/15 at 3:04 pm

Enjoy your trip. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/10/15 at 3:04 pm

That's wonderful. :)

Written By: annimal on 05/11/15 at 1:33 pm

My computer has been changed back into a Windows operating system.

Written By: karen on 05/12/15 at 1:23 pm

Elizabeth had her first written exams today for her GCSEs.  (National qualifications done at age 16 in the UK)  French and Biology today, ICT tomorrow.  Exams one a day until mid-June

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 2:11 pm

Elizabeth had her first written exams today for her GCSEs.  (National qualifications done at age 16 in the UK)  French and Biology today, ICT tomorrow.  Exams one a day until mid-June
Good luck for/to Elizabeth.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/15 at 2:36 pm

No doubt she will do outstanding.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/15 at 2:47 pm

Gearing up for our Spring Fling celebration which will be in less than two weeks. Yesterday I found out that my "newly found" aunt & uncle will be attending. You can read about it here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48128.0

So now, I have to get the spare bedroom ready.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/12/15 at 4:37 pm

No doubt she will do outstanding.

Cat

This.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/15 at 11:46 am

Good luck to Miss Elizabeth.  We are all rooting for her.  I'm sure she will do well.

Written By: karen on 05/14/15 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for the good wishes for Elizabeth.  So far things seem to have gone ok.  No major problems with any exams.

I had my haircut yesterday - quite short in hopes of a long hot summer!  Now my right ear feels cold all the time

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/15 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for the good wishes for Elizabeth.  So far things seem to have gone ok.  No major problems with any exams.

I had my haircut yesterday - quite short in hopes of a long hot summer!  Now my right ear feels cold all the time
Wrong decision with your hair today, for weather here has been cold and rainy?

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/15 at 8:43 pm

[/quote
It rained in Cali today...it was weird.

Written By: karen on 05/15/15 at 11:29 am

It wasn't too bad for us.  I didn't take a coat to work and got caught in a very brief shower (minute or two) when walking home.

Today started cloudy and dreary so I took my waterproof jacket.  It's not quite t shirt and shorts weather but it is warm and sunny!

I should carry an umbrella from now until October

Written By: karen on 05/15/15 at 1:04 pm

Morris Dancing tomorrow at the Etwall well dressings.

well dressing is a tradition of Derbyshire and Staffordshire.  wet clay is put into a wooden frame and then a design using natural 'ingredients' such as leaves and petals is set into the clay.  These were traditionally put next to wells in the village to bless the wells for their clean water. 

Nowadays other sites such as pubs, schools, etc will also make a dressing to display as part of a village fundraising weekend.  People will come to walk around the village viewing the various well dressings and donate money to local charities.

Written By: karen on 05/16/15 at 1:27 pm

Excellent afternoon dancing.  We got some good crowds watching us, the weather was fine and dry and the village hall had lovely cake for sale.

Apparently a colleague from work went to watch, but I didn't spot her in the crowd

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/15 at 2:22 am

My computer has been changed back into a Windows operating system.

What were you running before and why was it changed to Windows?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/15 at 8:37 am

What were you running before and why was it changed to Windows?
I am now on Windows 10, or whatever it is called, and still trying to get use to it.

Written By: nally on 05/17/15 at 10:33 pm

It rained in Cali today...it was weird.

And I missed it! (since I was way north... in Skagway, Alaska)

By the way, I had a great time on my cruise... I'll mention more details & stuff later. Right now I am still in the midst of unpacking & regrouping.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/15 at 10:35 pm

By the way, I had a great time on my cruise... I'll mention more details & stuff later. Right now I am still in the midst of unpacking & regrouping.

welcome back

Written By: nally on 05/17/15 at 10:58 pm

welcome back

thankx; we flew to Seattle early last Sunday, then boarded the Ruby Princess cruise ship and sailed to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway (Alaska) (in that order), and then to Victoria, BC, Canada, before returning to Seattle early this morning. :) It was my very first time in that part of the world, and it was really pleasant. Oh, and the ship also went into Tracy Arm Fjord (south of Juneau) early Wednesday morning before coming into Juneau.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/15 at 4:22 am

thankx; we flew to Seattle early last Sunday, then boarded the Ruby Princess cruise ship and sailed to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway (Alaska) (in that order), and then to Victoria, BC, Canada, before returning to Seattle early this morning. :) It was my very first time in that part of the world, and it was really pleasant. Oh, and the ship also went into Tracy Arm Fjord (south of Juneau) early Wednesday morning before coming into Juneau.
Welcome back!

Sounds like fun?

Written By: nally on 05/18/15 at 10:53 am

Welcome back!

Sounds like fun?

Indeed it was!

I will also share some pictures later on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/15 at 1:14 pm

Glad you had a good time. One of my best friends lives in Juneau. Some day I would love to go and visit her.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/18/15 at 1:58 pm

Welcome Back.

Written By: nally on 05/18/15 at 9:41 pm

Glad you had a good time. One of my best friends lives in Juneau. Some day I would love to go and visit her.

Cat

That's awesome; I hope you do get to visit her. :)

Written By: nally on 05/18/15 at 9:46 pm

By the way...I had a job interview this morning. It was for an administrative assistant position at a place where I'd been volunteering at for the past five years. This position required knowledge of accounting and MS Office. So I sent an application on the Friday before we left for our trip, and while I was away, I was able to check my email in the Internet Cafe on the ship...and I got a response inviting me to come in for an interview as soon as I got back; so this morning I went to the interview. I knew the person who was interviewing me, since I've had ties to the organization for several years, so that was good. She explained the various responsibilities of the position, and at the end said that I will probably be contacted again by the end of this week for the next step in the process (there are four other candidates).

Written By: karen on 05/19/15 at 11:29 am

best of luck with that nally

Written By: Howard on 05/19/15 at 1:50 pm

By the way...I had a job interview this morning. It was for an administrative assistant position at a place where I'd been volunteering at for the past five years. This position required knowledge of accounting and MS Office. So I sent an application on the Friday before we left for our trip, and while I was away, I was able to check my email in the Internet Cafe on the ship...and I got a response inviting me to come in for an interview as soon as I got back; so this morning I went to the interview. I knew the person who was interviewing me, since I've had ties to the organization for several years, so that was good. She explained the various responsibilities of the position, and at the end said that I will probably be contacted again by the end of this week for the next step in the process (there are four other candidates).

best of luck.

Written By: nally on 05/19/15 at 1:52 pm

best of luck.

Thank you; the person who interviewed me, whose title is Program Director, said she would let me know by the end of this week, or by next Tuesday at the latest. (Next Monday is a holiday, Memorial Day, so the office won't be open that day.)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/15 at 3:17 am

Good luck Jeff

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/15 at 11:04 am

Any news yet?

Written By: nally on 05/21/15 at 11:30 am

Any news yet?

So far, nothing. But I am continuing to do my searching.

Written By: nally on 05/25/15 at 1:09 pm

Any news yet?

So far, nothing. But I am continuing to do my searching.

By the way, I heard nothing on Friday... and since today is a holiday, I will not know until at least tomorrow whether I will get selected or not.

Written By: snozberries on 05/25/15 at 1:12 pm

By the way, I heard nothing on Friday... and since today is a holiday, I will not know until at least tomorrow whether I will get selected or not.

just remember, if you don't hear anything on Tuesday they are probably busy playing catch up from the 3 day weekend so give them until Wednesday to get back to you.

Written By: nally on 05/25/15 at 1:15 pm

just remember, if you don't hear anything on Tuesday they are probably busy playing catch up from the 3 day weekend so give them until Wednesday to get back to you.

Absolutely. I'm not going to rush it or anything. After all, I was told last week that there are four other candidates interviewing for the position. So all five of us will need to be evaluated before it gets decided as to who makes the cut.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/15 at 6:39 pm

Just spent the most enjoyable weekend with my newly found aunt & uncle. For those of you who do not know, my mother was adopted and about 10 years or so ago, she finally found out who her biological parents were. She discovered she had siblings. Long story short, they connected before she died. I have met this uncle twice before but they were at my mother's birthday party & then again at her memorial service. So it is really hard to get to know someone. This time, they came for our Spring Fling barbecue and spent the weekend and we got to know each other. I can't believe he is my mother's brother because they are so unalike-which is a good thing.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D  I was so sorry to see them leave. Can't wait to see them again but since they live in New Hampshire, it will be easy for us to see each other. They said it was about 2-2 1/2 hour drive-and that is shorter than we go to see Carlos' youngest daughter.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/25/15 at 7:11 pm

Just spent the most enjoyable weekend with my newly found aunt & uncle. For those of you who do not know, my mother was adopted and about 10 years or so ago, she finally found out who her biological parents were. She discovered she had siblings. Long story short, they connected before she died. I have met this uncle twice before but they were at my mother's birthday party & then again at her memorial service. So it is really hard to get to know someone. This time, they came for our Spring Fling barbecue and spent the weekend and we got to know each other. I can't believe he is my mother's brother because they are so unalike-which is a good thing.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D  I was so sorry to see them leave. Can't wait to see them again but since they live in New Hampshire, it will be easy for us to see each other. They said it was about 2-2 1/2 hour drive-and that is shorter than we go to see Carlos' youngest daughter.

Cat

that's an awesome story glad you guys got to know each other and get along
:)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/15 at 9:04 pm

Cat

Good for you. My father didn't get along with his sister much. Just life I guess. It's nice to see family getting along, even if it's not always mine.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/15 at 9:10 pm

Tears of joy for you.  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/25/15 at 10:49 pm

Just spent the most enjoyable weekend with my newly found aunt & uncle.

Cat

That is wonderful!

Written By: karen on 05/26/15 at 3:04 am

Just spent the most enjoyable weekend with my newly found aunt & uncle. 

Cat

Glad to hear you all had a lovely time

Written By: nally on 05/26/15 at 11:19 am

Cat

Wonderful news, Cat. I'm glad to hear you had a nice time! :)

Written By: nally on 05/28/15 at 5:24 pm

Absolutely. I'm not going to rush it or anything. After all, I was told last week that there are four other candidates interviewing for the position. So all five of us will need to be evaluated before it gets decided as to who makes the cut.

And today there is still no word on a verdict yet. But I will contact them again later.

Written By: karen on 05/30/15 at 6:51 am

Dai and James have gone away for the weekend camping in the Lake District

Elizabeth has two more weeks of exams left so she has been revising.  Plus at the end of these exams she is going to Oxford to do an ACT exam as she would really like to go to university (college) in the USA.  She has some practice papers which she has been doing as a break from revision(!)

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 11:21 am

Dai and James have gone away for the weekend camping in the Lake District

Elizabeth has two more weeks of exams left so she has been revising.  Plus at the end of these exams she is going to Oxford to do an ACT exam as she would really like to go to university (college) in the USA.  She has some practice papers which she has been doing as a break from revision(!)

we've discussed this before but I forget... what are her top choices for University?

Written By: karen on 05/30/15 at 12:53 pm

we've discussed this before but I forget... what are her top choices for University?

like place or subject?

in the UK you have to specify a subject and not many courses offer major/minor topics like in the us

She would like to study Chemistry and has looked at a couple of places in the UK.  at the moment Cambridge and Durham get her vote.  she has to list five on her application which will be done in a year or so's time.  She is interested in places that offer lots of options/electives.

In the US she is interested in applying to Yale, MIT and maybe Penn State.  She is nothing if not ambitious!

She still has two years of school left, but we know that US universities generally take applications and make decisions much earlier than they do here

Written By: annimal on 05/30/15 at 1:07 pm

I think I'm asleep today

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/15 at 1:52 pm

like place or subject?

in the UK you have to specify a subject and not many courses offer major/minor topics like in the us

She would like to study Chemistry and has looked at a couple of places in the UK.  at the moment Cambridge and Durham get her vote.  she has to list five on her application which will be done in a year or so's time.  She is interested in places that offer lots of options/electives.

In the US she is interested in applying to Yale, MIT and maybe Penn State.  She is nothing if not ambitious!

She still has two years of school left, but we know that US universities generally take applications and make decisions much earlier than they do here

I was thinking of the place specifically...  :)  Ucsb has a chemistry department and 6 nobel laureates or something...  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/15 at 3:03 pm

like place or subject?

One of my best friends' son will be graduating next year and he also has an interest in attending MIT. That would be funny if the two of them ended up there together.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/31/15 at 11:13 am

I was thinking of the place specifically...  :)  Ucsb has a chemistry department and 6 nobel laureates or something...  ;)

I think it would probably be East Coast only because that is where Elizabeth is most familiar with in the US.

Written By: karen on 05/31/15 at 11:15 am

Didn't sleep well last night, I wasn't tired at all and didn't stay asleep once I had fallen asleep.  Consequently I've spent most of today feeling spaced out.

Written By: snozberries on 05/31/15 at 11:41 am

Didn't sleep well last night, I wasn't tired at all and didn't stay asleep once I had fallen asleep.  Consequently I've spent most of today feeling spaced out.

I hate that! Particularly when I have something the do the day after a sleepless night

Hope tonight you get a full nights sleep

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/15 at 11:42 am

I think it would probably be East Coast only because that is where Elizabeth is most familiar with in the US.

Which means that you will probably visit her and in turn, we can meet up again.  :)

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/31/15 at 12:48 pm

I hate that! Particularly when I have something the do the day after a sleepless night

Hope tonight you get a full nights sleep

I know that feeling. Often happens to me when I know I have to be up early the next morning.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/15 at 2:31 pm

Hope you feel better later and try to get some sleep when you get the chance.

Written By: karen on 06/01/15 at 2:11 pm

I know that feeling. Often happens to me when I know I have to be up early the next morning.

I did have to be up earlier than usual for a Sunday.  My dad asked me to drive him and his friend to a coach pick up point for a week away.

Check for new replies or respond here...