inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any other West Coast people dislike it here?

Written By: winteriscoming on 06/11/15 at 8:43 pm

I dislike the high cost of living, unfriendly and anti-social culture, the traffic, and the drought here. I would rather live in the Midwest, Northeast or even the South honestly. Only thing keeping me here is my family and friends, and lack of money to move. I find the West Coast really overrated, it's definitely not worth the money it costs to live here.

Subject: Re: Any other West Coast people dislike it here?

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/11/15 at 9:23 pm

The northeast has all of those except the last one. It rains a lot there. It's even worse with the first three factors in the northeast.

Written By: winteriscoming on 06/12/15 at 3:54 am

The northeast has all of those except the last one. It rains a lot there. It's even worse with the first three factors in the northeast.

True. I think the South and Midwest are actually generally more prosperous places to live with friendlier people, though some of the states in that region have really been taken over by the conservative-Christian disease. The Northeast seems more like the West.

I feel like on the West Coast, people do not care about others, and there is a general sense that others look down on you, especially if you lack money. It's a very shalllow and judgmental culture here.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/15 at 10:01 am

I'm from the Midwest. Why would you want to come to the Midwest?  ;D  :-X

I mean, it's not hell or anything like that, but it might be boring to some people.

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/15 at 10:58 am

True. I think the South and Midwest are actually generally more prosperous places to live with friendlier people, though some of the states in that region have really been taken over by the conservative-Christian disease. The Northeast seems more like the West.

I feel like on the West Coast, people do not care about others, and there is a general sense that others look down on you, especially if you lack money. It's a very shalllow and judgmental culture here.

I think it depends where on the West Coast you are...

I will say I just came back from TN and KY and the people in TN were very friendly... the people in KY were completely rude.

I go to AZ alot...the places I've been in in AZ have been nothing but great customer service.

In Cali it's hit or miss. It depends on where I am and mostly it depends on the age of the person I'm engaging in conversation with. If they are young they are more  inclined to be rude or judgmental but overall I found more often than not it is my attitude and treatment of others that impacts how I am rec'd

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/15 at 11:12 am

I wish I could live in the northeast!  :)

Written By: winteriscoming on 06/12/15 at 11:20 am

I think it depends where on the West Coast you are...

I will say I just came back from TN and KY and the people in TN were very friendly... the people in KY were completely rude.

I go to AZ alot...the places I've been in in AZ have been nothing but great customer service.

In Cali it's hit or miss. It depends on where I am and mostly it depends on the age of the person I'm engaging in conversation with. If they are young they are more  inclined to be rude or judgmental but overall I found more often than not it is my attitude and treatment of others that impacts how I am rec'd

I've heard bad things about Kentucky being unfriendly actually. I wonder if it's the Anglo-Saxon/Puritan influence (not being racist, my family has recent roots in the UK). Oregon and Washington are also very WASPy and people here are insufferably smug and cold. I mean not everyone, but it's a general trend I notice. This is the Wild West, after all and you're expected to be tough and self-sufficient and not be a "whiner" no matter how upset or unhappy you are, or else people will shun you. Everywhere else I've been, people seem more genuine and willing to talk to you compared to the Pacific Northwest.

Honestly I wish I could just leave the United States altogether. I just can't stand the fakeness here, and the fact that nobody really cares about others unless they play "by the rules" and live a workaholic, sports and money-centric lifestyle and never complain about injustice or express any sort of emotion aside from anger or phony contentment.

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/15 at 11:21 am

I wish I could live in the northeast!  :)

I've lived a lot of places but Southern California is the only place I've ever wanted to live and now that I live in the Central coast... basically 90miles from LA and 225 miles from San Diego.  I can see myself staying here forever... even tho it is very expensive it's worth every penny!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/15 at 11:38 am

I have lived a lot of places in my day and I much prefer the northeast. When I lived in Texas, you didn't dare look at anyone because they may decide that you didn't look right and pull a knife or a gun on you. When I first moved to Vermont, I was so surprised to be walking down the street, passing complete strangers and they will ALL say, "Hi." Up here, we don't even lock our doors (except when we are going away).

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/15 at 12:14 pm

I've lived a lot of places but Southern California is the only place I've ever wanted to live and now that I live in the Central coast... basically 90miles from LA and 225 miles from San Diego.  I can see myself staying here forever... even tho it is very expensive it's worth every penny!

The Midwest isn't horrible, but I don't exactly fit in here, generally.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/12/15 at 2:50 pm

The Midwest isn't horrible, but I don't exactly fit in here, generally.  :P

Why not?

Written By: Howard on 06/12/15 at 2:51 pm

I live in the Northeast and lived here all my life.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/15 at 11:45 pm

Why not?

Meh, I guess I kind of do, but I just fit in other places more. I don't feel 100% like I'm meant to live here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/15 at 10:22 am

Meh, I guess I kind of do, but I just fit in other places more. I don't feel 100% like I'm meant to live here.

I totally understand. Most of my life I never felt like I fit-until I came to Vermont. Even before moving here, it was calling to me. I have told this story many, many times. When I was getting out of the Air Force, people asked me where I was going to go. Go? A question I hadn't given much thought about. It was the first time in my life I could go anywhere in the world that I wanted to. After thinking about it for maybe 5 minutes or less, I said, "Vermont." I was asked, "Do you have a job there?" I said, "No." Then they asked, "Do you have family/friends there?" I said, "No." They then asked, "Why are you moving there?" I gave them the strangest answer they have ever heard, "Because I WANT to!"

I never regretted that decision. Yeah, it was a little scary at first coming to a place where I didn't know anyone but I got by. As time went on, I made a life for myself, met the love of my life and now I am the happiest I have EVER been in my entire life.

I am not saying that Vermont is the right choice for you-but it was the right choice for me. You need to look deep into your heart and listen to the place that is calling you-and then GO FOR IT! I know that can be very scary to take a leap like that. And there is a possibility that the first place you try may not be the right place. You may have to do that a few times before you find your home. But, it is out there, you just have to be brave enough to go looking for it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/15 at 12:41 pm

I'm totally generalizing here but the midwest is not the most progressive area of the US so being Asian and some other factors that you disclosed elsewhere on these boards probably contribute to not really fitting in there... I get it...

Written By: 80sfan on 06/13/15 at 2:10 pm

I'm totally generalizing here but the midwest is not the most progressive area of the US so being Asian and some other factors that you disclosed elsewhere on these boards probably contribute to not really fitting in there... I get it...

Some of the more rural people can be extremely stoic and very used to their ways. The people in town and city are a bit better, but it's still the Midwest. As for racism, I've only encountered true blue racism once, at a mall with my mother. The lady refused to be at the cash register, because she thought we didn't have enough money, because we were Asian. We weren't dressed raggedy or poorly so it couldn't have been that. And we were trying to get her attention, and I'm like 5'11" tall, so it was likely racism. Unless she was partly deaf or something, my mother and I will assume that it was racism, until proven otherwise.

What's funny is I don't exactly hate my city or state, it's more like a 'meh' feeling, like I feel like I would thrive better in some other place. Hate to me is like a needle close to my eye, so I don't hate the place I live.

I think that the state tend towards conformity rather than individuality, I think that is the biggest reason for my 'disconnect' with it.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/13/15 at 2:15 pm

I totally understand. Most of my life I never felt like I fit-until I came to Vermont. Even before moving here, it was calling to me. I have told this story many, many times. When I was getting out of the Air Force, people asked me where I was going to go. Go? A question I hadn't given much thought about. It was the first time in my life I could go anywhere in the world that I wanted to. After thinking about it for maybe 5 minutes or less, I said, "Vermont." I was asked, "Do you have a job there?" I said, "No." Then they asked, "Do you have family/friends there?" I said, "No." They then asked, "Why are you moving there?" I gave them the strangest answer they have ever heard, "Because I WANT to!"

I never regretted that decision. Yeah, it was a little scary at first coming to a place where I didn't know anyone but I got by. As time went on, I made a life for myself, met the love of my life and now I am the happiest I have EVER been in my entire life.

I am not saying that Vermont is the right choice for you-but it was the right choice for me. You need to look deep into your heart and listen to the place that is calling you-and then GO FOR IT! I know that can be very scary to take a leap like that. And there is a possibility that the first place you try may not be the right place. You may have to do that a few times before you find your home. But, it is out there, you just have to be brave enough to go looking for it.

Cat

I think people's instincts feel if they fit in somewhere. It's not necessarily the place or the people at the place's fault, it's differences in opinion and personalities.

Right now, my gut is telling me the Northeast, like Pennsylvania or Rhode Island, or something. I'm also feeling Oregon or Washington State.

Anyways, amazing story! Must have been a gut feeling or an instinct, people like to call it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/15 at 3:35 pm

I think people's instincts feel if they fit in somewhere. It's not necessarily the place or the people at the place's fault, it's differences in opinion and personalities.

Right now, my gut is telling me the Northeast, like Pennsylvania or Rhode Island, or something. I'm also feeling Oregon or Washington State.

Anyways, amazing story! Must have been a gut feeling or an instinct, people like to call it.

I should have said that we used to come to Vermont when I was a kid so I have been here before, but just not as an adult-until I made the move.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/15 at 3:45 pm

I should have said that we used to come to Vermont when I was a kid so I have been here before, but just not as an adult-until I made the move.

Cat

When I was a kid we traveled to LA a couple of times... and then seeing it on TV all the time it was the only place I ever wanted to live. 

The very first time I drove to LA on my own as an adult I felt like I had just arrived home. And I feel that every time I drive there now.  As I said I live 90 miles away  but I go to LA several times a month... sometimes as much as 3x in a week.  I spend most of my days off there.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/13/15 at 6:04 pm

Cat

How old were you when you moved to Vermont?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/13/15 at 6:05 pm

When I was a kid we traveled to LA a couple of times... and then seeing it on TV all the time it was the only place I ever wanted to live. 

The very first time I drove to LA on my own as an adult I felt like I had just arrived home. And I feel that every time I drive there now.  As I said I live 90 miles away  but I go to LA several times a month... sometimes as much as 3x in a week.  I spend most of my days off there.

Were you born in California? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/15 at 6:22 pm

How old were you when you moved to Vermont?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/15 at 7:58 pm

Were you born in California? ???

no I was born in Holland... When I was 3 we lived in Riverside (I don't remember it)
When I was 11 we visited disneyland and Universal Studios
When I was 13 we moved to Salinas (Central Valley - more northern California than southern)
When I was 20 we moved to Stockton Ca - a couple hours north of Salinas
When I was 28 I moved to Santa Barbara... this is the longest I have ever lived anywhere... I have been here for 19 yrs.

there's a part of me that still wants to move to LA but I have to admit I love Santa Barbara too...

Written By: tv on 06/29/15 at 12:41 am

I don't know I have lived in New Jersey all of my life. I like it but it has a high cost of living and the people are always in a hurry. If I had it my way I would move to California but it has a high cost of living and its away from my parents. Maybe Washington State would be optimal for me but I would be away from my parents living on the other side of the country. Its a beautiful state and it has a low cost of living. Its Colorado without the cold weather!

Check for new replies or respond here...