inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Names You're Not Fond Of

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 10:08 am

This goes hand in hand with the Favorite Girl Names topic.  There are certain names which I don't care for.  Not because I don't like the name or its a really obscure one.  But because there have been people with the name that have done me wrong and every time I hear or see that name I cringe.  I hope this makes sense.  But does anyone else have this thing?  You don't have to tell me the names, but I'm curious if any of you have ever known someone or even more than one person with a name and cause of something that happened you can't stand hearing their name.

Here is a wild example:  I've personally known two people with this name.  One was a 2nd cousin whom was a horrible person.  I won't go into details but I have not heard from her and have no desire to.  The other one I worked with.  She was cool at first though she grew up privileged.  Then she became a manager and from then on she was full of herself.  I hate people that get like that when they're promoted.  Anyway, there is this other one that I do not know personally but she is the much younger sister of my SO's friends from childhood.  I really can't stand her brothers for a few reasons but especially her.  She is basically a homewrecker.  To make all this even stranger, there is this tv character with the same name.  Its a show I used to watch.  She was also a home wrecker, a tramp, got things her way.  Because of this I can't stand hearing this name. 

Well I hope I didn't confuse anyone.  This is just something I was thinking about. 

Subject: Re: Names You're Not Fond Of

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/15 at 11:26 am

The one name that I detest is Frank. I have know many people with that name over the years (including a few here on this board), some were very nice, good people, some weren't.

Where my hatred for the name came from was when I was about 9 or so. My mother for some strange reason, decided to help this guy named Frank out and let him stay with us. He was an alcoholic and a chain smoker. He sat in our t.v. room smoking away and took over control of our t.v. And he hated my sister for whatever reason. There would be someone in the kitchen that he thought was my sister and just cuss her up and down. Then he found out that it wasn't her (actually, I think it was me), never an apology, nothing. We were all glad when he left. WHAT WAS MY MOTHER THINKING??!!!!

But, because of him, to this day I cringe when I hear the name Frank.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 12:42 pm

Wow you guys really had to put up with a lot I'm sorry.  I haven't been around alcohol so much but one of my aunts was an alcoholic.  She didn't have an attitude around me and my sister.  I remember she got clean and went to school and became a counselor for recovery.  But it was sad cause she started drinking again.  She has been back and forth but this is typical with alcohol.  With drugs as well as I've been around the drug life my whole life.  But having loved ones who are either on or recovering is one of the most stressful things life can throw at us.  Anyway I would really detest his name after he was rude to you the way he was, alcoholic or not. 

One other name I hate is my former step father's.  I've known another by this name who is actually a great person and father to his kids.  My step father actually had his kids taken away cause of his ex's lies.  Then my brother, now deceased, was in and out of juvie.  This stressed us all out.  But all the sudden my step father became a monster for no real reason.  He took his work stress and health problems out on us.  I would lock myself in my room cause of the emotional abuse.  What he was doing was not caused by drugs or anything though.  But because of the crap we had to go through from the last couple years of him being in our life I hate his name. 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/19/15 at 12:59 pm

I just dislike complicated names where I have to literally practice in order to pronounce them. I like simpler, old-fashioned, easily pronounced names.

I also cannot stand people who call ME by every derivative of Tiffeny, BUT Tiffeny. When I was about 7 my father did carpenter work for a friend of his and this man's wife seemed bound and determined NOT to call me by my name. All day, I was Whitney, Stephanie, Bethany...it was annoying. And I couldn't say sheesh, because I was seven.

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 1:19 pm

I just dislike complicated names where I have to literally practice in order to pronounce them. I like simpler, old-fashioned, easily pronounced names.

I also cannot stand people who call ME by every derivative of Tiffeny, BUT Tiffeny. When I was about 7 my father did carpenter work for a friend of his and this man's wife seemed bound and determined NOT to call me by my name. All day, I was Whitney, Stephanie, Bethany...it was annoying. And I couldn't say sheesh, because I was seven.

Did any of these people try to say your name right?  My name starts with a V and people will often say other V names.  I don't know if they can't remember, don't care, or are just dumb.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/19/15 at 2:17 pm

Did any of these people try to say your name right?  My name starts with a V and people will often say other V names.  I don't know if they can't remember, don't care, or are just dumb.

No. I got every variant of my name and when the day was over I asked my Daddy WHY this woman couldn't say "Tiffeny" and he said "Some people just can't say Tiffeny." And I spent the ride home staring at him like he'd grown a second head.  ???
God forbid my mother had given me the name she originally wanted D'Lorah (which is my father's name, Harold, spelled backwards) I'd have probably been called Diarrhea or something.

Written By: nally on 10/19/15 at 11:00 pm

There are some like that which I don't much care for either. I can't think of any such examples off the top of my head right now, but when they come to me I'll mention 'em here.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/21/15 at 7:44 am

Frank is up there. I basically despise the names some celebrities give their kids. Not only the obvious choices like Moon Unit or Sky Pilot or Zowie, but also ones that are overused like Chloe, Dakota, Madison or Dylan. But I ain't mad at them if I can help it.

Also, I hate it when people call me John or Johnny. Anyone  I am related to and their friends call me Johnny, which I never cared about.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/15 at 10:24 am

Also, I hate it when people call me John or Johnny. Anyone  I am related to and their friends call me Johnny, which I never cared about.

I hate when people ASSUME you want to use a common nickname. I hope you don't mind Patty, but I am going to use your name as an example.

Ok, when you were born, your parents named you Patricia. So, everyone ASSUMES you will be called Patty. But, there are some people who don't like Patty, they prefer Trish or Trisha. Others just prefer Pat. And of course there are people who prefer Patricia. Instead of ASSUMING what to call someone, I usually ask, "What do you prefer?" I just had the same situation with someone by the name of William. I asked him if he preferred William or Bill. Unfortunately, he was kind of ambiguous about it so I STILL don't know what to call him.  :-\\  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Redhairkid on 10/21/15 at 2:28 pm

Frank is a name I have always liked. It was my grandfather's name.

Apollonia, I think Tiffeny is a beautiful name.

I dislike the name Katie because I associate it with bimbos such as Katie Price and Katie Hopkins. I like Kate though because it sounds more dignified.

And my original given name is a definite NO!

Written By: loki 13 on 10/21/15 at 7:03 pm

I hate when people ASSUME you want to use a common nickname. I hope you don't mind Patty, but I am going to use your name as an example.

Ok, when you were born, your parents named you Patricia. So, everyone ASSUMES you will be called Patty. But, there are some people who don't like Patty, they prefer Trish or Trisha. Others just prefer Pat. And of course there are people who prefer Patricia. Instead of ASSUMING what to call someone, I usually ask, "What do you prefer?" I just had the same situation with someone by the name of William. I asked him if he preferred William or Bill. Unfortunately, he was kind of ambiguous about it so I STILL don't know what to call him.  :-\\  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

My wife and my mother are named Patricia. My wife has always been called Patty but my mother hated that name,
she preferred Pat.

Strange as it may be, I have been married for 34 years and when speaking to my wife I have never called her Pat,
Patty or Patricia. I only use her name when speaking to others about her or introducing her.

Written By: nally on 10/21/15 at 8:52 pm

...On a similar note, when I was growing up I had my preferences as to whether I wanted to be called by my given name (Jeffrey) or the shorter version of it (Jeff). I'd get tired of one and would prefer the other... but since I was about 12, I've been perfectly fine with either one.

However, I have disliked it when someone would write my given first name with the "re" transposed (Jeffery), simply because that's not my actual name. Or worse, I would occasionally see "Jefferey" which is not correct either.

Written By: Ripley on 10/22/15 at 2:30 pm

People also shorten my name by saying the last half of it.  I just tell people I hardly know that my name is V. 

Written By: Redhairkid on 10/22/15 at 3:26 pm

The one name that I detest is Frank. I have know many people with that name over the years (including a few here on this board), some were very nice, good people, some weren't.

Where my hatred for the name came from was when I was about 9 or so. My mother for some strange reason, decided to help this guy named Frank out and let him stay with us. He was an alcoholic and a chain smoker. He sat in our t.v. room smoking away and took over control of our t.v. And he hated my sister for whatever reason. There would be someone in the kitchen that he thought was my sister and just cuss her up and down. Then he found out that it wasn't her (actually, I think it was me), never an apology, nothing. We were all glad when he left. WHAT WAS MY MOTHER THINKING??!!!!

But, because of him, to this day I cringe when I hear the name Frank.

Cat

Emboldened bit: I've asked the same question respecting the original name on my birth certificate!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/15 at 6:06 pm

My wife and my mother are named Patricia. My wife has always been called Patty but my mother hated that name,
she preferred Pat.

Strange as it may be, I have been married for 34 years and when speaking to my wife I have never called her Pat,
Patty or Patricia. I only use her name when speaking to others about her or introducing her.

That's like me, I call my hubby "Honey" or "My Love."  ;)

One of my sister's name is Patricia (not "Dawg") but she prefers Patty and even signs her checks that way. BTW, don't say anything that I told you because she wouldn't like it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 9:31 am

People also shorten my name by saying the last half of it.  I just tell people I hardly know that my name is V.

What does the V stand for?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 9:34 am

No. I got every variant of my name and when the day was over I asked my Daddy WHY this woman couldn't say "Tiffeny" and he said "Some people just can't say Tiffeny." And I spent the ride home staring at him like he'd grown a second head.  ???
God forbid my mother had given me the name she originally wanted D'Lorah (which is my father's name, Harold, spelled backwards) I'd have probably been called Diarrhea or something.

I was originally supposed to be named Henrietta if I was a girl but then changed it to Howard instead.

Check for new replies or respond here...