inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hair Cuts And Styles

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 1:03 pm

This should make for an interesting topic.  What was your favorite and least favorite hair cut/style from all of your life? 

For me there are a couple I hated but for the most part all my styles have been nice.  The worst was getting a pixie cut when I was 14.  It had no style what so ever and I thought it was cool!  What was I thinking?  I refuse to look at pictures of it.  The other I hated was when I got a perm.  There were far too many curls on my head.  I now don't even want loose big curls.  But I do like a bit of wave on occasion.  This is much different though.  The ends of my hair naturally have a bit to it but its mostly straight.  I much rather it be spaghetti straight though! 

The best style and cut I had was when I had it cut just below my shoulders and had it layered.  Then it was flipped at the ends.  That style was a bit in back then.  My hair was super long before that.  That was in fact the last I had it as long as I want.  :(  That was 14 years ago.  Since the longest I've been able to grow it is to my upper chest.  I have cut several occasions cause it got hot but nothing major besides a few layers.  My first major cut since 2001 was October 2013 when I got it where the longest was to my neck in the back and chin in the front.  With a lot of body and layers.  When I put moose in it I had model hair haha or so I thought.  I enjoyed it but soon realized I wanted to really try and grow it back out.  Its now been two years and its barely past my shoulders.  So I doubt I'll ever have super long hair again.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Hair Cuts And Styles

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/19/15 at 1:32 pm

One of my worst hairstyles was from when I was child. On myself, I HATE braids. And one of my mother's favorite hairstyles to put on me consisted of her sectioning my hair off into little pigtails braiding them and wrapping them around a roller to curl them. I looked like freaking Topsy from Uncle Tom's Cabin. Once my mother did this to my hair for picture day and I took it DOWN and my teacher had to smooth my hair into a ponytail instead. One of the worst as an adult was I decided to get bangs cut in my real hair. I had the bangs for 2 days before someone commented I like that fat girl from Precious. I wore my bangs swept back under a headband until they grew back out and I never want bangs again as long as I live.

My best style as a child was a simple ponytail with bangs--before the Precious disaster--and a large bow on on the ponytail. I wore it all the time in my latter years of elementary and thought I looked grownup. As an adult I've begun wearing wigs because its just easier than going through the whole perming process and much cheaper. My real hair cost me into the hundreds for regular upkeep, not mentioning the chemical burns and a wig can last upwards of 6 months for a fraction of the cost and I think I look more attractive with the longer thicker hair anyway. My current pictures are probably my favorite hairstyle But it's a style I rarely deviate from. I wore a bob in Florida only because of the heat. Once I got home, I haven't worn the bob since.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/3cc346bdd05e5712d7bc9c5adc58c3a9/tumblr_nvmd878lS91sckw50o1_1280.jpg
Possibly the best I've ever looked in my life.

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 5:17 pm

You're hair looks great :)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/19/15 at 7:40 pm

Through out my childhood and teens my hair was always long, past my back long. I have never "cut" my hair. Only trimmed it various times in my life.

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/15 at 7:53 pm

Through out my childhood and teens my hair was always long, past my back long. I have never "cut" my hair. Only trimmed it various times in my life.

Cool! I'm jealous :P

Written By: violet_shy on 10/20/15 at 9:28 am

Cool! I'm jealous :P

Yeah. When I was 13, it was so long I would sit on it. Now my hair is shoulder length. Never had it cut really, really short.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/15 at 11:55 am

When I was a kid, we had our hair cut short. I have ALWAYS loved long hair. I vowed that when I was able to make my own decisions, I would have long hair. I pretty much kept to that vow-not because of I wanted to keep a vow that I made as a kid but because I STILL love long hair.

Over the years, whenever my hair would get a certain length, someone would come after me with a pair of scissors. One time I went to my mother's hair dresser (big mistake). I asked for about 1/2 an inch to an inch off the bottom. I'm sorry but 6 inches does not 1/2 an inch to an inch make. She kept saying that I had such beautiful hair. I wanted to ask her "Then why are you cutting it all off?!"

Then when I married to my first husband-he made a deal with a friend of his. His friend's fiancè was a hair dresser so they arranged that she would do my hair (i.e. a perm) and they would wash her truck. Another mistake. I have naturally wavy hair-I DON'T NEED A PERM!!!! I HATED it!!! And then for some reason everyone wanted to layer my hair. At the time, I was in the service and had to put my hair up. Do you know how hard it is to put your hair up when it is layered?

I once won a session with someone who would do my hair for free-but I had no say in what they would do to it. I KNEW they would want to cut it. I held on to my hair and said, "Not no but HELL NO!" I turned it down.

FINALLY, I took control of my hair and I found a hair dresser who will do what I WANT! (What an amazing concept.) My hair is two lengths-my bangs (or fringe for those across the pond), and the rest. My hair dresser will trim when needed but unfortunately, it is not as long as I would like. I think my hair has reach it max. My hairdresser thinks it is because my hair is wavy that I don't really see how long it really is (unless it is wet).

I have often thought about cutting it for a change but then I dismiss that thought. It has taken me THIS long to get it where it is. I don't want to have to go through that again. And the thing is with it long-I can do so much with it-I can put it up, leave it down, use barrettes, curl it, put it in braids, pony tails, and do all sorts of things to it. I will probably have this same style until I die. (I always joke with my hairdresser after she colors it to cut it all off. I better stop joking with her because one day she might take me seriously.  :o  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 10/20/15 at 8:40 pm

Oh yes I had trouble with putting up layers.  Now I just have and want it one length

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 9:36 am

My favorite hair style was definitely the crewcut from back in the days.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/01/15 at 11:08 pm

A wedge cut.  But these days nobody even knows what that is so I just tell my hair dresser to cut my hair short but not too short.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/02/15 at 9:30 am

You're hair looks great :)

Why thank you.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 11/02/15 at 5:31 pm

Why thank you.  :)

You're welcome!

Written By: Redhairkid on 11/19/15 at 2:18 pm

When I was a kid, we had our hair cut short. I have ALWAYS loved long hair. I vowed that when I was able to make my own decisions, I would have long hair. I pretty much kept to that vow-not because of I wanted to keep a vow that I made as a kid but because I STILL love long hair.

Over the years, whenever my hair would get a certain length, someone would come after me with a pair of scissors. One time I went to my mother's hair dresser (big mistake). I asked for about 1/2 an inch to an inch off the bottom. I'm sorry but 6 inches does not 1/2 an inch to an inch make. She kept saying that I had such beautiful hair. I wanted to ask her "Then why are you cutting it all off?!"

Then when I married to my first husband-he made a deal with a friend of his. His friend's fiancè was a hair dresser so they arranged that she would do my hair (i.e. a perm) and they would wash her truck. Another mistake. I have naturally wavy hair-I DON'T NEED A PERM!!!! I HATED it!!! And then for some reason everyone wanted to layer my hair. At the time, I was in the service and had to put my hair up. Do you know how hard it is to put your hair up when it is layered?

I once won a session with someone who would do my hair for free-but I had no say in what they would do to it. I KNEW they would want to cut it. I held on to my hair and said, "Not no but HELL NO!" I turned it down.

FINALLY, I took control of my hair and I found a hair dresser who will do what I WANT! (What an amazing concept.) My hair is two lengths-my bangs (or fringe for those across the pond), and the rest. My hair dresser will trim when needed but unfortunately, it is not as long as I would like. I think my hair has reach it max. My hairdresser thinks it is because my hair is wavy that I don't really see how long it really is (unless it is wet).

I have often thought about cutting it for a change but then I dismiss that thought. It has taken me THIS long to get it where it is. I don't want to have to go through that again. And the thing is with it long-I can do so much with it-I can put it up, leave it down, use barrettes, curl it, put it in braids, pony tails, and do all sorts of things to it. I will probably have this same style until I die. (I always joke with my hairdresser after she colors it to cut it all off. I better stop joking with her because one day she might take me seriously.  :o  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

I had the same problem, Cat. Until well into adulthood, I was ordered to have regular short haircuts. Then I finally said 'NO! My hair, my life, my business'. And so it has remained ever since. I now wear it long.

So my answer is the worst haircut I have ever had was the short one and the best my current one.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/20/15 at 2:17 am

When I was 12 I went through a period of not cutting my hair at all.  ;D Then my mother insisted that I cut my hair because it was too long and I couldn't take care of it.  But I've had a lot of bad hair cuts in my life.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/15 at 7:27 am

When I was 12 I went through a period of not cutting my hair at all.  ;D Then my mother insisted that I cut my hair because it was too long and I couldn't take care of it.  But I've had a lot of bad hair cuts in my life.

I remember by accident in 1979 I cut my own hair, Hey I was only 5 or 6 at the time so I didn't know any better I cut the bangs of my hair and that left me with a small bald spot and unfortunately I took class pictures with that small bald spot for the next year or so after 1980 ended.  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 11/20/15 at 9:42 pm

I had short middle of forehead bangs as a kid 😠

Check for new replies or respond here...