inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vegetarianism/Veganism

Written By: Ripley on 11/25/15 at 7:32 am

Is anyone here a Vegetarian or a Vegan?  Have you ever been?  Have you thought about it?

In the past I have been a Vegetarian twice and a Vegan once.  Note there are some differences for those not familiar.  The first time was the fall of 2002 while I was a senior in high school.  I had taken a bite of a sandwich and the meat in it was bad.  Something about it.  It grossed me out.  So I decided to become a vegetarian.  This lasted I'd say about a week.  The second time was 2010.  I had been wanting to lose weight and a Vegetarian diet was the perfect idea.  So I made it my New Year's resolution on January 1 and I didn't eat any meat until that summer when I was in serious need of protein.  It was around 7 months but I did lose a good amount of weight.  Fast forward 3 years later.  I had always had a strong love for animals and so I decided to give it another try but this time I went all in by becoming a Vegan.  It was hard as I love cheese but I was very good at it.  And there are several things that are supplemented to be for Vegans such as Vegan cheese but it just costs more like any other health food.  So I mainly stuck with vegetables.  That time I was one for about 4 months.  This time I just decided I wanted to eat certain foods again.  Now it has been over a year.  I know there are several vitamins and other things out there to help with protein so one doesn't have to give up the way they eat, if that ever became a problem again.  I didn't know back then though.  Its something I can easily look into.  But as much as I've thought about going back to being Vegan its hard to.  The 2 people I live with both love meat.  I'm at an I think it tastes good but I'm good without it stage.  Yet at the same time I feel so guilty about it because I do love animals. 

I know it's human and animal nature to eat meat and I am not bringing ethics into this as I hate getting into debates and such.  I am merely curious about anyone's history with being or thinking of being a Vegetarian or Vegan.  With that being said... If anyone is for or against being or not being one of the two please don't get into debates/arguments about it.  This is something I'm very interested in but with positive conversations. 

Subject: Re: Vegetarianism/Veganism

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/25/15 at 10:26 am

I really don't care about anyone else's lifestyle, but I'll probably die a meat-eater. I've been told to cut down since my heart surgery, but I will never be a vegan or a devout vegetarian.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/15 at 10:41 am

Never have been but have a niece & a nephew who were/are. My niece was for a long time but realized that she missed meat-now she will eat poultry & beef but not pork (which goes with our Jewish roots  ;) ). Her sig other loves bacon and such. She lets him eat it but she won't.

I don't know if my nephew is still one or not.

I have thought about a vegetarian diet for a short period of time for losing weight. However, my personal chef loves meat so there is no way I can convince him otherwise. I have tried.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 11/25/15 at 9:43 pm

I love animals so I've tried vegetarianism a few times, but it usually only lasts for about a week because I've got a weird metabolism that requires lots of protein.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/28/15 at 6:15 pm

I can't do it. I considered it when I was fatter as a way to lose weight. But I'm a Southerner who was reared by Southerner parents who stressed meat at EVERY meal. I remember my father telling me as a little boy during the Depression he vowed when he became a man, he'd eat meat every day. And he did till the day God called him home.

But honestly, I really like beef and I can't fathom my life without steaks swimming in onions and bacon cheeseburgers and spaghetti and meatballs etc, etc. I'd give up MJ first. I mean a couple of hours ago I ate a huge shaved ham sandwich. LOL. I admire people who can stick to such a regime, to have that kind of willpower. Because I will pack away meat until that gout clubs me. LOL  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/15 at 6:30 pm

I want to try it for a year.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/03/15 at 2:08 am

I was but my mom thought that I should eat some meat because I was eating too many carbohydrates. My mom asked me if I had lost some weight and I said I don't know? Do you think I've lost some weight? She said yes.

Written By: Ripley on 12/03/15 at 7:27 am

I was but my mom thought that I should eat some meat because I was eating too many carbohydrates. My mom asked me if I had lost some weight and I said I don't know? Do you think I've lost some weight? She said yes.

I lost a lot at once. I was happy about it but its really not good to lose 10 lbs a week like I did.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/04/15 at 4:31 pm

I've thought about becoming vegan because I care so much about animals. But I heard people lose lots of protein and nutrients that we need in our bodies if we have a vegan diet. I try to limit the meats I eat....at least!

Written By: Redhairkid on 12/31/15 at 6:33 pm

Been vegetarian for 20 years.

Written By: annimal on 12/31/15 at 6:50 pm

carnivor and this vannpire loves garlic.

Check for new replies or respond here...