inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help Nally Find A Job

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/15 at 2:34 pm

Any advice for him would be nice, since Jeff has been trying for a new position after his layoff.

Subject: Re: Help Nally Find A Job

Written By: nally on 11/28/15 at 2:38 pm

Thanks... I had an interview this past Monday, which seemed to go well. It was for a part-time position involving some accounting and data entry work. There were other candidates who were going to be interviewed; sometime next week I should find out whether I "make the cut" for the next step in the process. I'll keep you guys informed. :)

But if I do get hired for something, I will definitely let you know. 8)

Written By: Howard on 11/28/15 at 5:35 pm

Thanks... I had an interview this past Monday, which seemed to go well. It was for a part-time position involving some accounting and data entry work. There were other candidates who were going to be interviewed; sometime next week I should find out whether I "make the cut" for the next step in the process. I'll keep you guys informed. :)

good luck. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/15 at 5:53 pm

Hope you get a job you at least can stand. Better yet, a job you love!  8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/28/15 at 5:56 pm

Not sure if you're the squeamish sort, but if you're not you could try to become a dialysis tech. It only takes 2 months to train and then you get certified. (I know because every so often its suggested to me once I receive a kidney.) Then you go to a clinic and work.

Written By: nally on 11/28/15 at 7:30 pm

Not sure if you're the squeamish sort, but if you're not you could try to become a dialysis tech. It only takes 2 months to train and then you get certified. (I know because every so often its suggested to me once I receive a kidney.) Then you go to a clinic and work.

Good for you. That field has not really been my sort of interest, though. :) Thanks for offering.

I'm primarily looking for an accounting job, or at least something involving it.

I might also want to mention, for those who don't know, that I have a bachelors degree in Liberal Arts with a minor in math, which I completed 7 years ago. And last year I furthered my education by taking the accounting program at a vocational place near my home.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/15 at 3:07 pm

I'm primarily looking for an accounting job, or at least something involving it.

So you want to be a CPA?

Written By: nally on 12/07/15 at 1:04 pm

I have just given an update in reply #61 of the December thread... in a nutshell, I have followed up with the person who interviewed me and I will be taking the next step in the process.

Written By: nally on 12/12/15 at 7:40 pm

I have just given an update in reply #61 of the December thread... in a nutshell, I have followed up with the person who interviewed me and I will be taking the next step in the process.

And now here's another update... earlier this week I received an email from the person who interviewed me, indicating I did well in the interview... and next week I will report there again for a screening and drugtest (a requirement) before officially starting!

By the way, this is going to be a part-time position, for only four hours a day, two days a week. So this will give me time to continue seeking other employment.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/12/15 at 7:51 pm

And now here's another update... earlier this week I received an email from the person who interviewed me, indicating I did well in the interview... and next week I will report there again for a screening and drugtest (a requirement) before officially starting!

By the way, this is going to be a part-time position, for only four hours a day, two days a week. So this will give me time to continue seeking other employment.

Yay!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/12/15 at 10:38 pm

Good luck, Jeff! :)

Written By: Howard on 12/13/15 at 2:48 pm

good luck Jeff. :)

Written By: nally on 12/13/15 at 5:43 pm

Yay!!

Good luck, Jeff! :)

good luck Jeff. :)

Thanks guys. I shall see how it goes. :)

One other thing...it is a 27-mile drive from my house, but at least I don't need to go there every single day.

Written By: karen on 12/16/15 at 4:28 pm

Congrats on getting another position fixed up so quickly

One other thing...it is a 27-mile drive from my house, but at least I don't need to go there every single day.

This is not that big a commute really.  My husband drives about 30 miles twice a day, every day

Written By: nally on 12/16/15 at 11:08 pm

Congrats on getting another position fixed up so quickly

This is not that big a commute really.  My husband drives about 30 miles twice a day, every day

Thanks. My parents used to drive a longer distance than that each day to work.

But that's not necessarily something I'd like to do in a car that we've had for 12 years. That said, I'm having second thoughts about taking the position. However, I will take the required drugtest tomorrow morning (I set up an appointment to do that).

In fact...this week I received another offer for a full-time position closer to home, and I expressed interest in it. It's also an accounting job, and I found out that there are two other candidates interested in the position. We'll see how it goes.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 3:50 pm

Thanks. My parents used to drive a longer distance than that each day to work.

But that's not necessarily something I'd like to do in a car that we've had for 12 years. That said, I'm having second thoughts about taking the position. However, I will take the required drugtest tomorrow morning (I set up an appointment to do that).

In fact...this week I received another offer for a full-time position closer to home, and I expressed interest in it. It's also an accounting job, and I found out that there are two other candidates interested in the position. We'll see how it goes.

good luck, hope you get it. :)

Written By: nally on 12/17/15 at 10:36 pm

good luck, hope you get it. :)

I heard nothing from the person at either place today. So tomorrow morning I'm gonna call both of them and ask what the status is.

Written By: nally on 12/18/15 at 4:08 pm

Update... this morning I went to the place in Agoura (27 miles from my house); today was originally going to be my "start day" there, but things got a little complicated. The person who interviewed me had sent a "background check" form to me in email, but for some reason I never got it, so when I drove over there this morning, I had to read it and sign it there, which I did. After that, I found out that my new "start day" is now going to be sometime after the first of next year (date to be determined, and it'll still be part time). I also explained that I have at least one other potential job offer closer to home, and I'm waiting to hear back from that person.

Written By: nally on 12/31/15 at 12:05 am

Update... this morning I went to the place in Agoura (27 miles from my house); today was originally going to be my "start day" there, but things got a little complicated. The person who interviewed me had sent a "background check" form to me in email, but for some reason I never got it, so when I drove over there this morning, I had to read it and sign it there, which I did. After that, I found out that my new "start day" is now going to be sometime after the first of next year (date to be determined, and it'll still be part time). I also explained that I have at least one other potential job offer closer to home, and I'm waiting to hear back from that person.

Perhaps I should post another update about this part-time job (the one that's 27 miles from home). Yesterday I received an email from the employer, saying that the results of my background check and drugtest have been reviewed, and everything is fine. I was also informed that my start date will now be Tuesday Jan. 19th, so I replied to the email, accepting the offer.  I will still continue to search for full time work.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/31/15 at 12:29 am

Perhaps I should post another update about this part-time job (the one that's 27 miles from home). Yesterday I received an email from the employer, saying that the results of my background check and drugtest have been reviewed, and everything is fine. I was also informed that my start date will now be Tuesday Jan. 19th, so I replied to the email, accepting the offer.  I will still continue to search for full time work.

Congratulations.  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/31/15 at 7:34 am

Congratulations. :)

Written By: nally on 12/31/15 at 4:18 pm

Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes, middle of next month. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/smiley.gif

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 11:40 am

Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes, middle of next month. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/smiley.gif

And now I have been in this job for a whole month, and everything seems to be going well. I am using Quickbooks and MS Access for the tasks that I need to do... while continuing to find other work closer to home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 12:23 pm

And now I have been in this job for a whole month, and everything seems to be going well. I am using Quickbooks and MS Access for the tasks that I need to do... while continuing to find other work closer to home.
O0

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 2:20 pm

O0

I also been offered another part time position, as stated in another thread. This one I will likely do on the days that I don't go to the other place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 2:24 pm

I also been offered another part time position, as stated in another thread. This one I will likely do on the days that I don't go to the other place.
O0

Two part-time jobs on different days?

Wonderful

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 2:26 pm

O0

Two part-time jobs on different days?

Wonderful

Yep. That'll help me gain more experience during the week.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:49 pm

Great!  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 3:54 pm

More money for you.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 3:55 pm

More money for you.  :)
Finally Jeff will get his new computer or laptop?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 3:58 pm

That would be cool. Perhaps he will get a new cell phone?  ???

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 4:51 pm

As soon as I save up enough money, yes! :D

That would be cool. Perhaps he will get a new cell phone?  ???

That might be helpful as well. Perhaps I can get a smartphone (like my mom has), so that I can access the internet on the go.  Right now I have a stupidphone. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 4:53 pm

That might be helpful as well. Perhaps I can get a smartphone (like my mom has), so that I can access the internet on the go.  Right now I have a stupidphone. ;D
O0

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 8:06 pm

What kind of stupidphone do you have? Lol

Written By: nally on 02/25/16 at 7:09 pm

What kind of stupidphone do you have? Lol

A flip-phone from AT&T. I can send and receive text messages on it, though.

Written By: Ripley on 02/26/16 at 1:33 pm

A flip-phone from AT&T. I can send and receive text messages on it, though.

Can it access the internet? My mom's can but she would get charged by the minute. And its a small flip phone.

Written By: nally on 02/26/16 at 4:52 pm

Can it access the internet? My mom's can but she would get charged by the minute. And its a small flip phone.

Not really...unless I'm willing to pay extra $$$.

I'd rather use one with a larger display; that's why I hope to get a smartphone someday.

Written By: nally on 02/20/17 at 11:45 pm

And now, almost a year since I last posted on this thread, I am still in the one employment position that I started last January, and it is still going quite well for me. :)

One thing I would like to clarify, however...

...is that this one (last year), which I am quoting, did not work out, after less than a week. Let's just say that some offers are not always what they seem. (If you want me to elaborate, however, then I will be glad to do so.)

So I still am working only one part time job, two days per week.

However, I am still looking for additional work, as I made some applications more than a week ago... and I am still checking in with the staffing agencies that I'm signed up with, letting the people there know that I am available for work.

Written By: nally on 06/03/17 at 12:39 pm

However, I am still looking for additional work, as I made some applications more than a week ago... and I am still checking in with the staffing agencies that I'm signed up with, letting the people there know that I am available for work.

Update: Last month I made some more applications... including one for a company that doesn't do in-person interviews; the person in charge says they are "100% virtual", meaning they only want to conduct interviews with programs like Facetime or Skype, which I don't use. Personally, I feel more comfortable actually meeting the person, or even doing an over-the-phone interview.

Check for new replies or respond here...